Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

Wildwhat?
Wildstar is a new action-oriented MMO that takes place on the newly discovered planet Nexus, developed by Carbine; a studio founded by 17 members of the core vanilla WoW team.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4_riSI7Ydg

Whatstar?
There's opposing factions, really unique races, a path system to point people towards the content they enjoy, player housing, and the whole thing looks like a Pixar movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-NXdWk9sm8

Factions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn8648VGMKM
Exile Gameplay Video
Races

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FhB3iYv4Ng
Dominion Gameplay Video
Races

Chua & Mordesh Reveal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t0mgu0_i3c

Classes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCaIxmffFWY

Paths
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmCyPXv5APY
Your path is a choice made at character creation which determines what extra content the world dishes up for you. Generally, they respond to the player personalities in the Bartle test (killer, explorer, socializer, etc). But don't just take my word for it, read this Polygon Article on Wildstar's paths.

Housing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScEliEh2_Xo

What about Raiding?
Wildstar will have 40-person raids, which has proven to be somewhat controversial, and people in this thread cannot shut up about it.

Sounds good, but what'll it cost me?
The Pricing Plan
Wildstar will have a typical subscription system, but with the added layer of the C.R.E.D.D. system, which is somewhat similar to EVE's PLEX. Players will essentially be able to earn currency in-game that they can then sell for gold to other players, allowing them to pay for time.

Alright, I'm convinced. When can I play?
Carbine is taking an "it's ready when it's ready" approach, but right now are shooting for a Spring 2014 release. Currently it's in closed beta, and the NDA has been lifted for some specific streamers to show levels 1-15. You can check them out on twitch. Beta keys are being given out slowly and in waves, though if you know someone in beta you should bug them for a friend key.

The best way to get into the beta is to apply here, then fill out this survey. You should also check out the Wildstar Beta key Begging & Exchange Thread.

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Join Goon Squad on the exiles side!

Goons are on the Nexus server, on both Exile and Dominion.

For Exile, message one of the following: Unicoroner, Javairea, ExileHumanStalker, Looseifer, Ozymorf, Phoix, or Wiggans and join SAMCRO.

For Dominion, message Tsargbot, Kalten, Cristlefire, or PhiberOptik and join Wildstar HipHop

Do your part for the greater goon!

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Tuxedo Mask fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

People were talking about it. We had a thread that fell into archives a while ago. Personally, I lost all interest because NCSoft owns it. :smith: Even if the game itself does look good.

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

Tsurupettan posted:

People were talking about it. We had a thread that fell into archives a while ago. Personally, I lost all interest because NCSoft owns it. :smith: Even if the game itself does look good.

NCSoft has never worked on a game this long or extensively before though, so I wouldn't write it off. Also in all the interviews about the game they talk about end game a lot and make it sound like everything in the game was build around end game which is really smart considering how SWTOR and GW2 turned out. And NCSoft is just the producing it, while Carbine Studios is making it, and this is their first game.

Tuxedo Mask fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 18, 2013

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Going off of the OP I have no idea what this game is or how it plays...

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I really dig this game's artstyle(finally someone has gone full cartoony and not gotten all anime with it), but being under NCsoft is pretty much a dealbreaker. Unless it turns out to be amazing, I doubt I'll even be trying it out.

Interested to hear anyone's impressions once they get their hands on it though. Is this a traditional subscription game, buy-to-play, or straight F2P with a cash shop? And yeah the OP is pretty anemic. Some more info would be nice. What are the two factions standing for lore-wise and can we get some blurbs about the races or something?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

I really dig this game's artstyle(finally someone has gone full cartoony and not gotten all anime with it), but being under NCsoft is pretty much a dealbreaker. Unless it turns out to be amazing, I doubt I'll even be trying it out.

Interested to hear anyone's impressions once they get their hands on it though. Is this a traditional subscription game, buy-to-play, or straight F2P with a cash shop?

Don't think they've said anything about the payment model yet.

I've been cautiously optimistic about this for a while. The non-soldier paths have the potential to actually be different from other MMO's but we'll see how that pans out.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Kelp Plankton posted:

Can someone fill me in on NCsoft's sins? I'm also digging the art style. It's got a self-aware humor going for it too.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
About time we have a thread for this game, super hyped :toot:

Orry
Apr 5, 2011

Mr. Jive posted:

Can someone fill me in on NCsoft's sins?

Closing City of Heroes, mostly. Also making grindy Korean MMOs, but they're merely the publisher of Wildstar.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Bunnygirls :supaburn: is the immediate goon response. But once we get past that, it's an interesting game. A lot of people are looking forward to it, but they have been pretty secretive and given lots of vague promises.

NCSoft is a pretty big company, I'm more interested in the studio producing it. Who was brought in to make up Carbine? As far as I can tell, this is their first game.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
well, NCsoft also published GW2, which is the less grindy mmo in the history of the genre, so it's unfair to worry about that.
In other news, the images sent me rapidly in a OH MY GOD IS THIS JAK AND DEXTER 4, and i'm more disapponted than i thought an human could be.
Please, gaming. Stop making MMOs. Just.. stop. One a year is enough.

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

Exmond posted:

Going off of the OP I have no idea what this game is or how it plays...

There are some game play videos in the "Video Gallery" link.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Mr. Jive posted:

Can someone fill me in on NCsoft's sins? I'm also digging the art style. It's got a self-aware humor going for it too.

Auto Assault, Exteel, City of Heroes, Tabula Rasa.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pesterchum posted:

Auto Assault, Exteel, City of Heroes, Tabula Rasa.

Hey, guess how many of those were kind of bad games. It rhymes with free.

Inflammatory nonsense aside, I'm really interested in Wildstar, because this trend of action combat MMOs feels like it needs to hit the sweet spot soon or it's going to stop happening. That said, there isn't a whole lot of info about the game yet and that worries me, but the previews sound promising.

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

Orv posted:

Hey, guess how many of those were kind of bad games. It rhymes with free.

Inflammatory nonsense aside, I'm really interested in Wildstar, because this trend of action combat MMOs feels like it needs to hit the sweet spot soon or it's going to stop happening. That said, there isn't a whole lot of info about the game yet and that worries me, but the previews sound promising.

Yeah I think every Wednesday they will be revealing more details now. They also said they will show a lot at PAX.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Hooray finally a Wildstar OP. I have been hearing how this game was winning anticipation awards all over the place with little to no information. I wonder how they landed that. Either way I like the art design so far for the characters. They really nailed it with the Valve style videos.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Drinkfist posted:

Either way I like the art design so far for the characters.

Counterpoint: they've included furries.

http://imgur.com/36Rxalw

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

Eh, rabbit ears are probably on the low end of offensive stuff like that. Besides, I'll be playing the other side, so I get to kill 'em. :v:

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

Hello Sailor posted:

Are there such things as mmo's without furries?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
There's at least one video that was missed. Might want to add this one. It shows the Dominion faction's early gameplay. Which until I watched that I didn't even know you could play as.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4GES7-v-cs

Sadly, it lacks focus on the Not-Imperium of Man or the Not-Necrons. Which look a hell of a lot more interesting than the space hillbilly faction's races.

Instead, it mostly focuses on the "nature" (Which appears to be the inverse of the furry bunny girl side.) race of the dominion. Which if the video is any indication are a cross between satyrs, a giant lizard, and Satan.

Either way, there's some pretty :black101: stuff in there. And they showed off some of the vehicle and event content. Like aerial gunships, and giant suicide rhinos.

The actual content of the game looks pretty good. Albeit a little rough around the edges. Until I can play it my money's on NCSoft loving it up or trying to sabotage the company because "We must support eastern Korean grindathon MMO's only! :supaburn:", though.

Also, if nothing else, the trailers keep ripping into the furry races and the kind of people likely to play them. Which is hilarious.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 18, 2013

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

Archonex posted:

There's at least one video that was missed. Might want to add this one. It shows the Dominion faction's early gameplay. Which until I watched that I didn't even know you could play as.

Sadly, it lacks focus on the Not-Imperium of Man or the Not-Necrons. Which look a hell of a lot more interesting than the space hillbilly faction's races.

Instead, it mostly focuses on the "nature" (Which appears to be the inverse of the furry bunny girl side.) race of the dominion. Which if the video is any indication are a cross between satyrs, a giant lizard, and Satan.

Either way, there's some pretty :black101: stuff in there either way. And they showed off some of the vehicle and event content. Like aerial gunships, and giant suicide rhinos.

The actual content of the game looks pretty good. Albeit a little rough around the edges. Until I can play it though, my money's on NCSoft loving it up or trying to sabotage the company because "We must support eastern Korean grindathon MMO's only! :supaburn:", though.

Also, if nothing else, the trailers keep ripping into the furry races and the kind of people likely to play them. Which is hilarious.

Thank I added gameplay vids for both of the factions. They didn't have the videos on their main site, and I didn't think to check their Youtube cause I just figured their main site would have it all.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Archonex posted:

Man, Space Barrens ahoy.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Orv posted:

Man, Space Barrens ahoy.

That was my first thought too. Which was followed by "When the gently caress did Orgrimmar get space ships? And why does Garrosh appear to have a harem of satyrs now?".

Given the sci-fi influences of the game, it was probably a bad idea to preview that race and area first. I'd much rather see the Imperium of Man and the Imperial Guard's the Dominion and their army's starting zone, since they and the Mekkari had a hell of a lot more style.

Hell, looking closer at a few of the finer details of their introduction trailer, the human side of the Dominion in that trailer were literally rolling with designs and emblems ripped straight out of WH40K. I saw all the requisite little doodads, including blinged out powered armor, useless oversized shoulderpads with a knockoff aquila symbol emblazoned on them, cannon fodder grunts, the works.

Edit: I just realized that that means that things have come full circle, and now the parody is being parodied. :psyduck:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 18, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

Archonex posted:

Edit: I just realized that that means that things have come full circle, and now the parody is being parodied. :psyduck:

Which makes it a literal crime that the 40K MMO will never come to pass.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Archonex posted:

Hell, looking closer at a few of the finer details of their introduction trailer, the human side of the Dominion in that trailer were literally rolling with designs and emblems ripped straight out of WH40K. I saw all the requisite little doodads, including blinged out powered armor, useless oversized shoulderpads with a knockoff aquila symbol emblazoned on them, cannon fodder grunts, the works.

I'm sold, where do I throw my money to get this faster?

Archonex posted:

If that's actually the last Dominion race, then that's amazing. The sheer meta trolling there will probably cause an executive's head at Games Workshop to blow up, Scanners style, if they get wind of that.

Oh god I agree, I love my Warhammer and 40k but GW has to be just about one of the worst gaming companies there is. I really am tired of their poo poo.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 18, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Something else I just noticed. Unless it's a red herring, the unannounced Exiles race is almost definitely some sort of (possibly drugged up) undead monster race.

You can visibly see a rotting hand in the early video, and they've got a tricked out space sarcophagus as a bed-space in the trailer the majority of the video takes place in. There's also some sort of syringe full of drugs in it too, though I have no idea what that's supposed to signify or hint at.

Also, going off of the hints in the Dominion personality trailer, there's a lot of people speculating that their last race are basically the Squats. Mostly, it seems, because of the sci-fi blunderbuss that you can see briefly, along with the whole "totally not the Imperium of Man *wink, wink*" thing the Cassians have going on.

If that's actually the last Dominion race, then that's amazing. The sheer meta trolling there will probably cause an executive's head at Games Workshop to blow up Scanners style, if they get wind of that.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 18, 2013

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

I was way too excited for this when it was announced and I am way too excited for this now. Can't wait for them to reveal the other races and classes but as it is it looks amazing and I am just too hopeful.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Teerack posted:

Are there such things as mmo's without furries?

After TERA, I will take any anthropomorphic space-women I am given.

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.
I really wish they would make a video on character customization. I'm going to be really disappointed if it works like PSO or if Humans are the only ones with two genders.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Teerack posted:

I really wish they would make a video on character customization. I'm going to be really disappointed if it works like PSO or if Humans are the only ones with two genders.

They've shown pics of a Female Granok here: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/news/gameId/632/showArticle/25900

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

You can also see what I assume are female Draken in the Dominion reveal video I think it is?

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

Catsworth posted:

You can also see what I assume are female Draken in the Dominion reveal video I think it is?

You mean the main one on the pile? Cause that was a male

Thanks for that! :O

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
There's pictures floating around of the female robots and female draken too i believe. And male rabbits. If you're into that sort of thing.

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.
I found these.

This was on the poo poo in the first trailer.

I think male Aurin

Tuxedo Mask fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 19, 2013

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Teerack posted:

You mean the main one on the pile? Cause that was a male

What? No. There are two on either side and I think a 3rd laying on a rug when it pans further left.

Catsworth fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 19, 2013

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.
It was kinda hard to find images of the other genders so i made these.

Tuxedo Mask fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 2, 2013

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.

If I can make a guy that looks like Megabyte from ReBoot I will play the hell out of this game.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
The amount of information about this game seems to be same as when it was first introduced in 2011. The only new thing that i saw was the video about dropping colored shapes on the ground which you will either dodge or run into depending on the color of said shape.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So basically

The Dominion = 40k
The Exiles = Warmachine (Cygnar)

At least that is the vibe I am getting from all these videos and I am okay with that. This really does look like "WoW in Space" but intentionally done like that so who knows it may turn out okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Beach Party posted:

The amount of information about this game seems to be same as when it was first introduced in 2011. The only new thing that i saw was the video about dropping colored shapes on the ground which you will either dodge or run into depending on the color of said shape.

The only thing I can really find that make the game interesting is the two Path videos on gametrailers.com:

Soliders Path
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/4xfuip/wildstar-soldier-s-path-trailer
Explorer Path
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/3kjm32/wildstar-the-explorer-path-trailer

Now I can't figure out if this is something ALL character can do (sort of like how Earth and Beyond had three different XP bars based on combat/exploring/trade) and a player can pick and choose which path to focus on or that a player is locked into one path per character.

• Locked thread