Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Maybe he'll die in reverse-Indiana Jones fashion. He tries to take out some Jedi with his blaster but the bolt gets deflected and he ends up shooting himself. Bonus points if the Jedi is Greedo for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

mango sentinel posted:

If Han dies in the next movie I don't want his death to be all slow mo melodramatic, but I do want him to die doing something badass, with a sly grin.

I hope it's completely random and sudden. Like he sees Luke's descendant across the street and walks towards him and suddenly a speeding space car hits him splattering guts everywhere and we find out it's Jar Jar driving. Or perhaps he just chokes on a space candy. Or perhaps he breaks a hip and is in the hospital and dies from a heart attack or something. Just something that completely pisses off the fans. Like an everyday event or mundane happening.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arschlochkind posted:

Didn't he have a bunch of rear end in a top hat friends who called him "Wormie" or something?

I know this is from a few pages ago, but the answer is yes.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It's going to be a cameo at most. It's long been known they are continuing the story of the original trilogy, so I don't see why Han appearing is an issue.

I doubt it. Or atleast hope not. Cameo sounds of gimmickry poo poo and with people they are assembling behind the camera it atleast seems like Disney wants to make some good movies.

There is no reason why Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Leia can't be older, wiser background characters while a young set character take over as leads. Anything involving children would suck major balls though.

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

reagan posted:

Maybe he'll die in reverse-Indiana Jones fashion. He tries to take out some Jedi with his blaster but the bolt gets deflected and he ends up shooting himself. Bonus points if the Jedi is Greedo for some reason.

Yes. I want it to happen so fast, no one is even sure they saw it. And then when Leia and Luke start to run down the hall, they realize Han isn't following. They turn around and see Han Solo laying face-down on the floor.

And Leia is all like, "Han? Han?" and turns him over, and half of his face has been grotesquely blown off like that scene in Super, instantly transforming the scene into a living nightmare.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Trump posted:

I doubt it. Or atleast hope not. Cameo sounds of gimmickry poo poo and with people they are assembling behind the camera it atleast seems like Disney wants to make some good movies.

There is no reason why Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Leia can't be older, wiser background characters while a young set character take over as leads. Anything involving children would suck major balls though.

If their children are grown up (and they would be by now) it could be fine. There's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of their children being major characters. There's nothing that says whatever dumb EU poo poo happens with those characters and their kids has to happen in the movies.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Watch them make movies with the Kevin J Anderson Young Jedi Knight books as a spring board.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gatts posted:

I hope it's completely random and sudden. Like he sees Luke's descendant across the street and walks towards him and suddenly a speeding space car hits him splattering guts everywhere and we find out it's Jar Jar driving. Or perhaps he just chokes on a space candy. Or perhaps he breaks a hip and is in the hospital and dies from a heart attack or something. Just something that completely pisses off the fans. Like an everyday event or mundane happening.
Maybe a moon could fall on him.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

effectual posted:

Maybe a moon could fall on him.

Imagine the decades of outrage if the first scene of the new movies is Han opening his door to greet a visitor...as he opens door, blaster shot, cut to Greedo's son walking away saying "Mom always said a good bounty hunter shoots first..."

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Just do what they did with Wolverine for X-men: First Class and have them be like "Hey Han, we need a fearless pilot to fly us through the most dangerous asteroid field in the universe, you in?" and he responds with "gently caress no, this other pilot is though."

The other pilot is Shia Lebouf.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
The Skywalker family narrative has been drained of all mystery. There's nothing fascinating about the Force anymore; we've seen it used and overused and overexplained.
It would be like if all of the Indiana Jones movies had the Ark of the Covenant in them, it kept getting opened over and over, and each time it had to one-up the last movie and melt 10 times as many Nazis. The excess devalues.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ave Azaria posted:

The Skywalker family narrative has been drained of all mystery. There's nothing fascinating about the Force anymore; we've seen it used and overused and overexplained.
It would be like if all of the Indiana Jones movies had the Ark of the Covenant in them, it kept getting opened over and over, and each time it had to one-up the last movie and melt 10 times as many Nazis. The excess devalues.

No one gives a poo poo about the EU, least of all Disney.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Luke going evil and the consequences of that finishing with his redemption would be - I think - the most consistent story based on the first 6 movies.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
Not even talking about the EU. The original trilogy explores the Force and brings it to a good close, emotionally. Its mysteriousness is what draws you into the story. It's a war story, and you can tell all sorts of good stories with that setting, but I think what makes the original films intriguing and mystical is that they're about a kid discovering magic that everyone thought was gone.
The prequels depict the Force as commonplace, the default weapon of a well-established group. The only eyebrow-raising discovery in that series is "this Anakin kid shouldn't exist, but he does", but then Qui-Gon dies and it gets dropped. The Force isn't exciting to witness, and I don't want to see it placed in the foreground anymore.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

euphronius posted:

Luke going evil and the consequences of that finishing with his redemption would be - I think - the most consistent story based on the first 6 movies.

He was already tempted in RotJ and rejected it.

Side note: I love RotJ but the Emperor's dialogue is mostly so cheesy. If I was trying to turn someone I wouldn't keep calling it "the dark side". Too bad Lucas had fired most non-yesmen by then, some subtler speech could've really played with an open choice. I don't mind the Ewoks though, they fit perfectly with the idea that the empire was undone by a coalition of underdogs. Even Leia and Han underestimate them at first.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

justsomedude posted:

Yes. I want it to happen so fast, no one is even sure they saw it. And then when Leia and Luke start to run down the hall, they realize Han isn't following. They turn around and see Han Solo laying face-down on the floor.

And Leia is all like, "Han? Han?" and turns him over, and half of his face has been grotesquely blown off like that scene in Super, instantly transforming the scene into a living nightmare.

Or the way Uncle Derrek in Sarah Connor Chronicles went out.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ave Azaria posted:

Not even talking about the EU. The original trilogy explores the Force and brings it to a good close, emotionally. Its mysteriousness is what draws you into the story. It's a war story, and you can tell all sorts of good stories with that setting, but I think what makes the original films intriguing and mystical is that they're about a kid discovering magic that everyone thought was gone.
The prequels depict the Force as commonplace, the default weapon of a well-established group. The only eyebrow-raising discovery in that series is "this Anakin kid shouldn't exist, but he does", but then Qui-Gon dies and it gets dropped. The Force isn't exciting to witness, and I don't want to see it placed in the foreground anymore.

It seems commonplace because basically everyone you follow in the prequels is a Jedi. Basically all of Luke's scenes in ESB and ROTJ featured him using the force or a lightsaber in one way or another, it's just balanced by the fact that Han and Leia can't do any of that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

effectual posted:

Side note: I love RotJ but the Emperor's dialogue is mostly so cheesy. If I was trying to turn someone I wouldn't keep calling it "the dark side". Too bad Lucas had fired most non-yesmen by then, some subtler speech could've really played with an open choice. I don't mind the Ewoks though, they fit perfectly with the idea that the empire was undone by a coalition of underdogs. Even Leia and Han underestimate them at first.

The Emperor is so awesome though. He's precisely what the ultimate villain of the Star Wars movies should be- no nuance, no subtlety, just pure hate trying to spread itself.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

effectual posted:

What Maxwell Lord said. The best thing (so to speak) about the Emperor is that he just doesn't give a poo poo. If he were subtle he wouldn't have his underlings build a planet-destroying machine called Death Star. It's that he's completely trusting the seductive power of the Dark Side, to him it's like "You will become evil and you will love it".

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
If they establish continuity between this star war and the previous star wars I will NEVER SEE IT!!!! :arghfist::arghfist::arghfist::arghfist::argh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

scary ghost dog posted:

If they establish continuity between this star war and the previous star wars I will NEVER SEE IT!!!! :arghfist::arghfist::arghfist::arghfist::argh:

So you want Episode VII to have nothing to do with episodes I through VI? I think you misunderstand how sequels work.

Wait for the non-numbered spinoffs of you want something not directly related to the original and prequel trilogies.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

jivjov posted:

So you want Episode VII to have nothing to do with episodes I through VI? I think you misunderstand how sequels work.

I think you misunderstand how joke posts work.

You're right though, there's no point in doing this at all unless it's part of the same story. The question is, how do you do that without ending up with something like the prequels? You can't really make a direct sequel because the story is over (Sorry, nobody cares about the remnants of the empire, and Luke's hero journey has already finished). You need something new and fresh, but this is Star Wars we are talking about.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

jivjov posted:

Wait for the non-numbered spinoffs of you want something not directly related to the original and prequel trilogies.

HAN SOLO CANNOT BE IN THIS SEQUEL OR IT WILL BE CRAP!!! WHAT KIND OF IDIOT WRITER WOULD WRITE A CHARACTER INTO THE SEQUEL TO THE MOVIE HE IS FROM

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Elman posted:

(Sorry, nobody cares about the remnants of the empire, and Luke's hero journey has already finished).

Obviously someone cares about Imperial remnants; the EU novels featuring warlords/Moffs/etc trying to consolidate the remains of the Empire pretty consistently hit the New York Times Bestseller list. That said, I think that particular story angle is pretty played out.

Now, they could always do something similar in concept to the New Jedi Order books. Galaxy is more or less at peace, Jedi Order is re-founded and growing, and then something completely foreign comes to mess it all up. Doesn't have to be Force-immune aliens from a living planet outside of the GFFA, but something completely unconnected with the Jedi vs Sith/Rebellion vs Empire type conflicts could make a good movie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Don't read about the bug books.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Just have Han Solo team up with a young Jedi (Played by Jason Statham) who lead a group of aging minor Star Wars Character's (think Yak-Face, Biggs Dark lighter etc) in vigilante mission's across the galaxy.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

effectual posted:

Don't read about the bug books.

I still can't spell their name and I don't even care to. And doesn't the same huge rear end loving story arc spanning tens of novels actually go so far as to say the Emperor was actually a good guy trying to unite the galaxy because he knew the bug people were on their way? What a load of dumb bullshit.

All I know is that Corran Horn is about the only EU character I like. And even then he's just Wedge with the Force.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

HAN SOLO CANNOT BE IN THIS SEQUEL OR IT WILL BE CRAP!!! WHAT KIND OF IDIOT WRITER WOULD WRITE A CHARACTER INTO THE SEQUEL TO THE MOVIE HE IS FROM

I think a ton of people still have a bad taste in their mouth from Ford's last reprisal of a serial character, which while I understand given how awful that heap was it had nothing to do with Ford.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Mel Brooks should direct one. "Star Wars: A Spaceballs Parody."

Han Solo - Lone Starr, team-up!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

reagan posted:

I still can't spell their name and I don't even care to. And doesn't the same huge rear end loving story arc spanning tens of novels actually go so far as to say the Emperor was actually a good guy trying to unite the galaxy because he knew the bug people were on their way? What a load of dumb bullshit.

All I know is that Corran Horn is about the only EU character I like. And even then he's just Wedge with the Force.

You're confusing the Yuuzhan Vong and the Killiks. The Killiks are the bug ones, and are the focus of a trilogy by Troy Denning. The Vong were the ones from outside the galaxy coming to kill/enslave/etc. And it was never stated that Palpatine was a "good guy", but it was mentioned that he was aware of some unspecified extragalactic threat (intel courtesy of Thrawn) and one of his goals when taking over the galaxy was to make sure to have enough power consolidated to fight them off.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Abrams was a good choice considering the EU it seems.

Suicide King
Feb 16, 2013

jivjov posted:

This... I would so go see a Mandalorian trilogy in a heartbeat... while I feel like I will have to force myself to go see VII-IX.

Oh I will in the end... but fear the day. We all know fear leads to angry, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
I was just thinking about the timeline.

If this film comes out in 2015, it will be 32 years after Return of the Jedi.
If the wars depicted in Star Wars were that galaxy's equivalent to WWII, then 32 years after the end of the war (1945) would be their equivalent to 1977.
They could tell the story of a young visionary sci-fi director in Tatooine's film industry.

Actually, I'm trying to think of war stories that "work" three decades post-war. The Boys from Brazil?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ave Azaria posted:

I was just thinking about the timeline.

If this film comes out in 2015, it will be 32 years after Return of the Jedi.
If the wars depicted in Star Wars were that galaxy's equivalent to WWII, then 32 years after the end of the war (1945) would be their equivalent to 1977.
They could tell the story of a young visionary sci-fi director in Tatooine's film industry.

Actually, I'm trying to think of war stories that "work" three decades post-war. The Boys from Brazil?

Munich

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Ave Azaria posted:

Clone Palpatine? Hmm, David Bowie's still doing movie work, isn't he?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Apocalypse A Long Time Ago
All the Chancellor's Men
Fear and Loathing on Yavin 4

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 19, 2013

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

Clone Palpatine? Hmm, David Bowie's still doing movie work, isn't he?

Emperor Stardust, the death guitar is ready.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
It would actually be wonderful if they embraced the pre-ANH world of trippy 1970s Zardoz-ish glam sci-fi. Old Han vs Space Hippies.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ave Azaria posted:

It's a war story, and you can tell all sorts of good stories with that setting, but I think what makes the original films intriguing and mystical is that they're about a kid discovering magic that everyone thought was gone.

Honestly, thinking from this perspective really opens up my mind as to where the story should go. Stripping away all the aliens and spaceships, what personal journey would freedom-fighting veterans be on 30 years after the war ended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Trying to remind the new generation how much war sucks but failing to convince them, so they're dragged into some parable of either Nam or Iraq/Afghanistan. :effort: but still a good story if told well.

• Locked thread