Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I've discovered that playing XCOM while drinking beer and on xanax is a bad idea. I open my game today and everyone is dead. I have 2 rookies; all my majors and psychic soldiers are dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]

de_dust posted:

drinking beer and on xanax is a bad idea.

Read the label on your drugs next time. :rolleyes:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

de_dust posted:

drinking beer and on xanax is a bad idea

Hey you should probably read this thread. Xanax on their own are pretty hard to OD on, but combined with few beers? Potentially lethal. Don't gently caress about with benzos, idiot.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 16, 2013

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

coffeetable posted:

Xanax on their own are pretty hard to OD on, but combined with few beers? Potentially lethal.

Hey, :xcom:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
X-Com: We're doing pills, Otto! Uppers and downers!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zdq4Llr-K-s#t=79s

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

John Dough posted:

The best is when a country is offering you money for a satellite, and it's a country that was getting a satellite anyway. Free money!

Wait, this works? I thought a country requesting a satellite just buys the satellite and doesn't launch it?

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
If they're requesting a satellite, you have to have capacity to launch it as well as the satellite.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Thank you for all the feedback.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Christian Knudsen posted:

Wait, this works? I thought a country requesting a satellite just buys the satellite and doesn't launch it?

The satellite requests are special. All they want is coverage, and they're willing to give you a big fat bonus in order to get it (in addition to what they normally give you every month).

It still has to be in the request time limit of course, and since the requests are only good for 20 days you need to already have one building to respond to it.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Ugh, gently caress you game. Why you gotta put 3 Sectiod Commanders in the same room like that.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

The Casualty posted:

Ugh, gently caress you game. Why you gotta put 3 Sectiod Commanders in the same room like that.

Rocket time.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

ChronoReverse posted:

Rocket time.

I used them all up on the Muton Berzerkers and Chryssalids :( It was a UFO Assault (one of those big square ones with the power supplies on platforms outside, don't know the name) and the only explosives I had left were one Alien Grenade. That brought two of them down to about half health, but I couldn't actually get good hits on them, they just stayed in cover and mind-controlled my three best shooters, then panicked my two assault guys out of cover. Bang, bang, the only two guys that weren't mind controlled die out in the open, and then my top three soldiers get brain gibbed.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Spiffo posted:

The satellite requests are special. All they want is coverage, and they're willing to give you a big fat bonus in order to get it (in addition to what they normally give you every month).

It still has to be in the request time limit of course, and since the requests are only good for 20 days you need to already have one building to respond to it.

Well, I just learned something new, then! I've always ignored satellite requests since I thought they would just be buying the satellite like they buy everything else, and I would then need to build a new satellite to launch for actual coverage. Is it made clear in the request that they're not buying the satellite? I could swear the request text is similar to any other request text?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

No, the request for a satellite is always something along the lines of "please give us coverage within 20 days, we'll give you $200". The countries can't launch their own satellites, after all.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Christian Knudsen posted:

Well, I just learned something new, then! I've always ignored satellite requests since I thought they would just be buying the satellite like they buy everything else, and I would then need to build a new satellite to launch for actual coverage. Is it made clear in the request that they're not buying the satellite? I could swear the request text is similar to any other request text?

It's really badly communicated. You also don't complete it by just hitting the button to agree to the request. You have to go manually launch it yourself.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

ChronoReverse posted:

Rocket time.

This is always the correct answer.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

If my odds of going into a drug-induced coma are anything like my odds of hitting that Thin Man hiding behind a potted plant I'll take my chances :shepicide:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

animatorZed posted:

This is always the correct answer.

Ah yes, those moments when the game suddenly activates 3 Cyberdisks during a Terror mission.

And you have a pair of HEAT Danger Zone Heavies...

:black101:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

The Casualty posted:

(one of those big square ones with the power supplies on platforms outside, don't know the name)
Abductor-class.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I just encountered an absolutely fabulous bug in which the alien's turn never ended. Just an endless carousel of Thin Men taking shot after shot after shot after shot after :smithicide:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I know about the teleporting enemy bug (and I wish I hadn't, it never used to happen until I read about it :argh:) but has anyone experienced the teleporting soldier bug yet? Just now, I sent a guy to run towards some cover after his got blown up. He only had 2 health yet so it was either run and maybe die, or stand still and die for sure. Lo and behold, the piece of cover I wanted is being watched by a Muton, who connects on his reaction fire. The guy was critically wounded and knocked out, but instead of falling where he was, conveniently 10 paces from my medic, he teleported about 50 grid squares away, smack in the middle of enemy territory.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
I just had a fairly intense final (ingame) month of XCOM (classic difficulty mind you). 7 countries have already left the council at this point, and because of my backfired attempt at taking down the invisible ship (I didn't equip the firestorm with a plasma gun woops) Russia came to be at max panic. Now I already had up a satellite in Russia so there wouldn't be any abduction missions coming up from it. Also no other missions popped up in there during the month. At this point I guess I could have tried to put up another satellite, does a 2nd satellite reduce panic? Either way I didn't have enough engineers, money, alloy, or time to try and get another satellite up in time before the next council meeting. I put all my efforts into progressing through the story missions and upgrading all combat related things. It came down to the wire, when I got to the final mission I only had two days to spare before the council meeting that would have gameovered me. :xcom:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm sure this is just confirmation bias or maybe even like a bit of latent sexism manifesting in how I play, but I swear women make the best snipers and assaults. Maybe just the fact that they're not giant space marine muscle sacks makes me play them smarter? I dunno.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Confirmation bias.

Also, it's not hard for sexism to come to fore considering the exaggerated physical difference between men and female models, and on a more intellectual level the absurdity of female frontline soldiers in general.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Nephilm posted:

Also, it's not hard for sexism to come to fore considering the exaggerated physical difference between men and female models, and on a more intellectual level the absurdity of female frontline soldiers in general.
Pretty sure Goons In Platoons would want a word with you about that second one.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Nephilm posted:

Confirmation bias.

Hahaha, holy poo poo tell that to the female combat vets in our military.

Anyways, does anyone have some advice for how to beat the Overseer crash site? I just don't see any way to deliver enough damage to the alien forces. Between the muton elites and their absurdly high defense making all my shots miss, and the Sectopod that snipes my guys and blows up my cover from extreme range, I can't even put up a fighting chance, let alone get anywhere near the ship. Do I just rush heavies/ squadsight snipers and hope the rockets and headshots deliver enough damage? My typical balanced force does gently caress all and usually dies horribly in the forest.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Do you have Archangel Armor? Float them squad sighters straight up and gain another +10 over the scope's +10. Sniper and then back off your other guys if you don't kill.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
Alloy SHIVs with the plasma upgrades were really helpful for me for the end game. They instakill the muton elites, and almost everything else.

jvempire fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 18, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Olive Branch posted:

Also Leon Panetta.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm sure this is just confirmation bias or maybe even like a bit of latent sexism manifesting in how I play, but I swear women make the best snipers and assaults. Maybe just the fact that they're not giant space marine muscle sacks makes me play them smarter? I dunno.

I had a few friends report to me that women have higher Will and men have more HP, but I have yet to see this confirmed in the game itself. I'm starting to increasingly suspect these observations came from comparing something like a Sniper to a Heavy and mistakenly attributing the differences to sex.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Unless Second Wave options are in, all the rookies have the exact same stats (40 will, 65 aim, hp depending on difficulty - 6/6/5/4, if memory serves), so, no. Purely cosmetic.

It would make sense to be men-only though, as supposedly you're getting super-elite forces (who the hell do you think you're kidding, rookie: no seal ever panicked that fast!), and i'm not aware of any females in the cutting-edge special operations team (usually for stringent physical requirements, i guess).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Even the basic XCOM ballistics armor has small powered assistive servos in it reducing the need for physical strength to the point where it isn't a major issue. That's how they adapted the full powered armor technology of the Atlas suit so quickly. Alternatively, all XCOMs are latently psychic and use it to improve their physical ability without knowing it. This is also why they panic so easily, the aliens put off a low-grade psychic field that the soldiers acclimatize to. The ones who show up as psychic are just the ones capable of fully utilizing the powers consciously. :colbert:

Or its a game, and its nice to include women in fighting games sometimes.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Also all my best heavies come from Japan, while white people drive like this...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Also all my best heavies come from Japan, while white people drive like this...

Now you see, black squaddies talk like this, while white squaddies also talk exactly like this because everyone has the same voices

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Olive Branch posted:

What, the part where I said in general? Because I doubt any of those goons are female Mexican soldiers (which always blow my mind when encountered), or combat-role females from the large number of countries represented in XCOM that don't actually allow women in combat roles. I get it that in the far future of 2015 the world is a hell of a lot more progressive and surely there's plenty of women in spec-op outfits, but it's one of those little things, like gas prices being in gallons worldwide, that just breaks my suspension of disbelief.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Aureon posted:

Unless Second Wave options are in, all the rookies have the exact same stats (40 will, 65 aim, hp depending on difficulty - 6/6/5/4, if memory serves), so, no. Purely cosmetic.
The assertion was that male soldiers and female soldiers develop differently and the difference is observable at Colonel, but you'd think that should be identical as well. I haven't really cared enough to specifically raise pairs of male and female classes to check into it, and I doubt I ever will. That sort of min-maxing isn't even that useful in Impossible.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Nephilm posted:

I get it that in the far future of 2015 the world is a hell of a lot more progressive and surely there's plenty of women in spec-op outfits, but it's one of those little things, like gas prices being in gallons worldwide, that just breaks my suspension of disbelief.

:wtc:

This is a joke post, right?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

:wtc:

This is a joke post, right?

Never question a big red avatar.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.

Nephilm posted:

... are female Mexican soldiers (which always blow my mind when encountered)

Hahah, jesus christ. What the hell is going on in your head?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Um... :xcom: ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Sheilas never survive when I'm in command. :gonk:

I have no idea why. Before I modded it to 50/50 M/F squaddies, I somehow had more female casualties than male.

There was one encounter late game when I noticed I had no ranked chicks but a few rookies, so I deployed two of them to get experience with the blokes. Kept them in the back, close enough to support but ideally, out of the firing line.

... Guess who were the only two casualties that mission? :smith:

• Locked thread