Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

The manor isn't in the new game because you're stuck on the island the whole time.
That doesn't preclude the manor being in the game at all, whether as part of the main narrative or some additional "mode" or whatever. Have some imagination, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Spalec posted:

In terms of performance etc it's the same as far as I know (at least, I never read any issues), and it all comes on 1 disc which I guess is handy if that kinda thing bothers you.
If you haven't played the GOTY version on 360 I think the PS3 version had an extra traffic case too.

Well I'll have to hope I can buy/trade it off a goon for cheap.

And yeah, having it on one disc is another bonus to the PS3 edition. Essentially having it on a much more scratch resistant disk, bonus missions (never played any DLC, period) and on one disc, so no swapping later on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Akuma posted:

That doesn't preclude the manor being in the game at all, whether as part of the main narrative or some additional "mode" or whatever. Have some imagination, man.

It doesn't, but it isn't.

quote:

KS: [Laughing] “There won’t be a mansion on the island unless her parents had the foresight to send an architect there and build it without her knowing. And no, there aren’t any butlers in the game to lock into freezers.” [Transcribed from Crystal Habit Podcast #1 (July 2011)]

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Aphrodite posted:

The manor isn't in the new game because you're stuck on the island the whole time.

"Coming soon as DLC - only 10 bucks" :sigh:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Renoistic posted:

"Coming soon as DLC - only 10 bucks" :sigh:

SquareEnixEidos can even call it The Missing Link again because it bridges us from new to adventuring Lara Croft to heroic Lara Croft!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Square Enix is actually one of the best publishers when it comes to DLC pricing.

As long as it's not Final Fantasy.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Does anyone have any recommendations for co-op games? I have a buddy that lives on the other side of the country from me, and we like to play games together but a lot the games we both like don't have MP or coop. He's not a big FPS fan, but I have got him into playing ME3's MP. We already have Saints Row (2&3) and LBP.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

SubponticatePoster posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for co-op games? I have a buddy that lives on the other side of the country from me, and we like to play games together but a lot the games we both like don't have MP or coop. He's not a big FPS fan, but I have got him into playing ME3's MP. We already have Saints Row (2&3) and LBP.

If you guys share Dead Space 3 for $30 each I'd recommend that. It's not worth full price, but you can play through the whole thing in Co-op and there are areas and events you can only see that way. If you're not up to sharing for whatever reason, then I'd suggest waiting until it drops in price. It's a well-made game, but repetitive. I've only played a few Co-op missions with random online people, but it's pretty fun.

Red Dead Redemption is pretty cheap now, and you can do a bunch of posse stuff online. Uncharted 3 is supposed to have some Co-op play, and that's about $20 most places now, too. Wish I could think of something besides 3rd person shooters. :shrug:

EDIT

Resident Evil 5 Gold is cheap now, too. That has a bunch of co-op.

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 17, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is a REALLY fun coop game.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

If you guys haven't already, Castle Crashers is relatively cheap and a fun game to go through together. I believe Portal 2 also has co op, it's first person, but not another WW2 or Iraq desert shootey game.

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for either, but there's always Resident Evil 5 (stay away from 6), Dungeon Defenders, and Peggle. I might also recommend LBP Karting or Sonic Racing Transformed. Been having a blast with those.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Double Dragon Neon
NBA Jam (Its actually good, might still be free on PS+)
Trine 2

Really wish Tokyo Jungle had online co-op

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

Speaking of LA Noire, is it any good on the PS3? I'm migrating over some of my Xbox games and I was thinking of picking up a GOTY edition of LA Noire.

The game started out as a PS3 exclusive (originally to be published by Sony), so yeah, it's good.. It was the lead platform the whole way through development.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Vadun posted:

Double Dragon Neon
NBA Jam (Its actually good, might still be free on PS+)
Trine 2

Really wish Tokyo Jungle had online co-op

You got my hopes up for Double Dragon Neon online co op unless I'm missing something here.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

MUFFlNS posted:

Bungie (the developers of Halo) just revealed their new game Destiny that will be coming to PS3 and also the PS4 as well. It's a wildly ambitious always-online FPS (kinda like an MMO without the subscription fee) that's set in the future.

The visuals of the game employ the same style as Halo (and the brief gameplay clips showed very similar looking gameplay) and there is a big emphasis on social connectivity and playing with friends/strangers. The game will take place on a variety of planets in the solar system (that you can fly to and from with your own ship!) and really does seem to have a mind-bogglingly huge scale to it.

I think the most obvious comparison would be an MMO version of Mass Effect perhaps? Either ways the game is sounding pretty neat and I'm hoping that we'll see more of it at Sony's PS4 event in a few days!

Wasn't this what Halo was supposed to be before they went to Xbox?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

While I'm working on writing out a list of stuff to move over to my PS3, are there any PS3 ports I should stay FAR away from?

Like, obviously from the last page or so, do not get any of the elder scrolls or fallout games on the PS3.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

Wasn't this what Halo was supposed to be before they went to Xbox?

No, Halo was suppose to be an RTS, that did eventually end up happening though.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

While I'm working on writing out a list of stuff to move over to my PS3, are there any PS3 ports I should stay FAR away from?

Like, obviously from the last page or so, do not get any of the elder scrolls or fallout games on the PS3.

Avoid Bayonetta on it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Oh Snapple! posted:

Avoid Bayonetta on it.
Seriously, if you have a 360 play it on that. There is no worse gap in performance and looks between a PS3 and 360 game, as far as I know. That said, I have Bayonetta on the PS3 since its the only thing I have and I enjoy it plenty.

Other than that and Elder Scrolls games, I can't think of much else.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I have a question about Sly Cooper 4, does it keep the proud tradition of having Carmelita Fox voiced by a different actress in a different ethnicity?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

I have a question about Sly Cooper 4, does it keep the proud tradition of having Carmelita Fox voiced by a different actress in a different ethnicity?

Seems that way. She is voiced by someone different in every game and none of them really manage to nail it (though I haven't heard her voice that much in Sly 4, I just know they got Grey DeLisle this time around). It's funny because the one in the first one had the worst actress but also had the best accent, the one in Sly 2 was a pretty bad actress with a non-existant accent and the one in Sly 3 was an okay actress with a pretty bad accent. You can compare for yourself though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEMji0nr0tg

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm having a hard time reconciling the fact that I'm on the last traditional Ratchet and Clank game. I started with the HD collection, and I've just been playing them one after another. I'm about half way through A Crack in Time, and its just so awesome that I don't want it to end. There's nowhere to go for shooting similar to Ratchet and Clank.

I'm pretty sure that the PS4 needs to debut with the beginning of another Ratchet trilogy. The world needs it back!

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Fonzarelli posted:

I'm having a hard time reconciling the fact that I'm on the last traditional Ratchet and Clank game. I started with the HD collection, and I've just been playing them one after another. I'm about half way through A Crack in Time, and its just so awesome that I don't want it to end. There's nowhere to go for shooting similar to Ratchet and Clank.

I'm pretty sure that the PS4 needs to debut with the beginning of another Ratchet trilogy. The world needs it back!

This man. He knows what is up!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fonzarelli posted:

I'm coincidentally also going through Crack in Time atm. I bought it around it's launch, but was too burned out with the formula to get very far in it. Giving it a second go, I'm loving it, and it has rekindled my affection for the series. It's really well put together and looks great, even if it's very iterative.

Insomniac has been fairly lukewarm towards the franchise recently -- and I don't like the direction of the new games -- but if their foray into full 3rd partyness is a bomb (Fuse, I probably should have come up with a terrible pun here) I'm sure Insomniac will gladly accept a commission from Sony for another sequel to keep them afloat.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Insomniac has been trying new things with the franchise a lá All-4-One and Full Frontal Assault because the truth of the matter is that the R&C games sold for poo poo on PS3. Tools of Destruction sold worse than Deadlocked iirc and A Crank In Time was even worse. I don't even think ACiT cracked a million units sold.

The primary Insomniac studio isn't even working on R&C anymore. A4O and FFA were both Raleigh studio productions.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

That's depressing. I don't really mind that the games are all similar, I could blast robots and jump on platforms for another three games, easily.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kaleidoscope posted:

Insomniac has been trying new things with the franchise a lá All-4-One and Full Frontal Assault because the truth of the matter is that the R&C games sold for poo poo on PS3. Tools of Destruction sold worse than Deadlocked iirc and A Crank In Time was even worse. I don't even think ACiT cracked a million units sold.

The primary Insomniac studio isn't even working on R&C anymore. A4O and FFA were both Raleigh studio productions.

Are you just counting US sales? I know the series has always been quite popular in Europe. 1 million world wide seems way too low.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'm waiting for Deadlocked HD to come out in Spring. I played that one to death! Twice!

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Keep in mind that people just didn't have PS3s when the R&C games came out.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Fonzarelli posted:

Playing the HD Collection made me realize something, gently caress the controls of R&C 1 and gently caress it for not having strafe for the whole game.

Also I think something that Up Your Arsenal was missing was the flying missions from Going Commando.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Playing the HD Collection made me realize something, gently caress the controls of R&C 1 and gently caress it for not having strafe for the whole game.

Also I think something that Up Your Arsenal was missing was the flying missions from Going Commando.

Yeah, thank god I played the first game before any of the others. There's no way I could have gone back.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fonzarelli posted:

Yeah, thank god I played the first game before any of the others. There's no way I could have gone back.
I did go back and enjoyed most of it. If you just spam weapons that don't require accuracy, it's easy as hell.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

achillesforever6 posted:

So I felt the same way.

Then learned once you get the jetpack you can kinda bootleg strafe by double tapping R1 to hover and then hold L1 to move you side by side, haha. You can even rotate yourself with the camera.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

achillesforever6 posted:

No, it's not. Those space missions sucked. How they handled them in the Future series was way better.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Liar Lyre posted:

No, it's not. Those space missions sucked. How they handled them in the Future series was way better.

It's been a while, but weren't Tools of Destruction's space missions just on rail shooting gallery's? I far prefer A Crack in Time's open format.

I wouldn't mind some more open world experimentation from Insomniac.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
I realise I'm super late to the party here, but I bought a ps3 a few days ago and am working on a good playthrough of Infamous. Is there enough of a plot difference between good/evil to warrant a second run or should I just move straight on to Infamous 2 when I'm done?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Night Shade posted:

I realise I'm super late to the party here, but I bought a ps3 a few days ago and am working on a good playthrough of Infamous. Is there enough of a plot difference between good/evil to warrant a second run or should I just move straight on to Infamous 2 when I'm done?

Some people will disagree but I thought they were different enough. This is especially true if you played good first because while good is slightly more powerful in some ways, the evil side missions are WAY more fun and you look badass when you go full evil.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

axleblaze posted:

...while good is slightly more powerful in some ways, the evil side missions are WAY more fun and you look badass when you go full evil.

Neat, thanks. Second playthrough it is.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I bought Bayonetta for $20 on the PSN store, everything loads off the HDD and I've watched comparison videos of how bad the loading times were vs. the patch that fixes them. If anything, if you really want Bayonetta and don't have a 360, the PSN store is your best bet.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Persona 3 chat: Ahahaha well after spending the last, oh, 2 hours fighting Nyx I just got wrecked by her in Death arcana mode when she had, oh I dunno, maybe 300-400 HP left? gently caress Night Queen + Almighty Attack doing juuuust enough damage to kill Blue Haired Protagonist. I read up a little and I'm glad I have savegames from before the 31st, I guess I'll go see if I can get Armageddon and just cheese it.

The whole "main character dies, instant game over" is the worst game mechanic ever [in an RPG where other characters can resurrect, anyway] and is my only real complaint about this game. I was doing great in this fight, I had a serious rhythm going, and because of one turn of bad luck, game over, all of that time wasted. Two of my teammates have Samarecarm, it's dumb that they can't just resurrect me.

A lot of the difficulty in this game is the "good" kind, requiring you to refine strategies and pay closer attention to game mechanics, then there's this bullshit.

I'm really not even that mad about video games, I guess it just bugs me that this game is this good yet has this one stupid thing in it that keeps it from being perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't you know, every single videogame needs at least one feature or bottleneck that's capable of souring the whole experience, I think there's actually a law about it and everything.

• Locked thread