Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That is beyond the nail on the head. There's a difference between casually introducing all of these outlandish concepts (the Marvel stuff, for all it's faults, has resurrected all of these characters nobody gives a flying gently caress about) and pretending you already care. The flippant attitude about it just makes it funnier, like you're uncool for not knowing who the Green Lantern's lameass villains are. Oh, you never heard of Hector Hammond? I bet you've gotten laid before too, chump.
I think the only good thing that came out of this movie was Cartoon Network making Green Lantern TAS to catch the wave of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just saw the The Master bluray cover. Not a fan.

Maybe if they really looked like emerging from an ink blot test, but that'd still be cheesy. I'd have rather they just used that weird blue kaleidoscope theatrical poster.

It's no at least.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Just finished Paris, Texas, and I really like the cover of the criterion collection:

Doesn't say a whole lot about the film, but I like it better that way. I also just have a weakness for simple landscape shots as posters.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe if they really looked like emerging from an ink blot test, but that'd still be cheesy. I'd have rather they just used that weird blue kaleidoscope theatrical poster.
I like this actually. When I was at Lincoln Center for their 70mm festival (which oddly "The Master" was not part of), they had a promotional newspaper for the film meant to look like it was published by The Cause (the organization from the film), and this poster was printed on the front. Regardless, this cover is still a million times better than some generic photos-of-the-actors stuff.

On that note, his teaser poster recalls the one for "The Prestige":

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Teenage Fansub posted:

From what I've read, the cover is actually reversible; I can't find the reverse from my googling on my phone, but I remember people saying the back was better.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

ClydeUmney posted:

From what I've read, the cover is actually reversible; I can't find the reverse from my googling on my phone, but I remember people saying the back was better.

That's it.

Here's an idiotic unboxing, just mute it and go through the video and you can see it comes with a Postcard also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UWbi-gEpqU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In the never-ending category of "lazy minimalist":

Seriously, they go with the chess metaphor and don't bother to think to make all the pawns on the other side black, and then have the "camera" above a line of white pawns and one bishop? For loving shame.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

In the never-ending category of "lazy minimalist":

Seriously, they go with the chess metaphor and don't bother to think to make all the pawns on the other side black, and then have the "camera" above a line of white pawns and one bishop? For loving shame.
That's a queen.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hedenius posted:

That's a queen.

Yeah? So? Why is it surrounded by white pawns? Why not have it surrounded by black pawns, facing white pawns and a bishop on the other side? Because Bishop was the name of a character. This idea is just as bad.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
The colonial marines wore lighter fatigues (white pawns, which also invokes the traditional military metaphor of pawns), and the black queen is... well, the queen.

It's a bad poster, and your idea would be a more robust image, but you're digging for things to be mad about.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
They're right though, they should all be black if you're even pretending to do a chess metaphor.

But it's still crap...

(Added another filter for good measure, did you know there's a "posterize" filter? How great is that!)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Of course the alien queen is black, you racist poster maker.

Training Day would be a better movie for a chess poster anyway.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

This is just glorious.

e:
No poo poo?
V V V V

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 18, 2013

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That's.. a turd.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Vegetable posted:

That's.. a turd.

Who would dare put a turd on a poster? Who would dare?! Now we must out-filth the rear end in a top hat or assholes that made this poster, and then they must die!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

That's it.

That's okay. Wonder why the PSH photo is made to look like civil war photography old.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 18, 2013

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
We watched a movie last night that put me down a weird movie poster hole. The movie was Pontypool, which is a kinda-zombie movie with a twist.

The poster on Netflix looked like this:

Which I think is at least eye-catching, though not terribly representative of the movie.

IMDB had this one, which just looks funny:

That face makes another (flipped) appearance for this one, which is especially notable since there are literally no guns in this movie. Nobody gets shot, at least not on camera, not by a handgun, and not by any of the main characters. Spoilers for the movie: At the end the military comes and blows everyone away, but they do it off camera from their helicopters with great big anti personnel weapons.

Here are a few more:

edit - I took out my plot description, as its too spoilery. The movie is good - watch it.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 19, 2013

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Maybe it's a good "hook" for people who might otherwise overlook the movie, but spelling out on the posters the central premise of the film kind of ruins the surprise. We don't even find out what the "virus" is until like 3/4 of the way through the film, and it's better that way.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Tewratomeh posted:

Maybe it's a good "hook" for people who might otherwise overlook the movie, but spelling out on the posters the central premise of the film kind of ruins the surprise. We don't even find out what the "virus" is until like 3/4 of the way through the film, and it's better that way.

Yeah, Pontypool is an excellent movie but it's probably hard to advertise it without spoiling the plot or making it look like a generic zombie movie.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

effectual posted:

Or, you know, a picture of Eva Mendes in the nude.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

effectual posted:

Actually, Fresh would be better for a chess poster.

For an Aliens poster, I'd like to see a bank of monitors with what looks like FPS being played on them, but is in reality, the Marines helmet cams recording their first contact with the xenomorphs.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

Actually, Fresh would be better for a chess poster.

Or how about a musical called Chess?

Hey look, Bobby Fisher's story got a chess themed poster (and its a pretty great poster in its own right).

So let's crop it out on the international poster.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Another chess-themed poster for a chess-themed movie:

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Jedit posted:

I hope this plays during the credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mRFWQoXq4c

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jedit posted:

Thought that was Zachary Quinto at first.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

I also found the video game tie in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_Move

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Some more failures found on reddit:

I actually like the intent and think that on its own it's a nice image, but once again it's grossly unrepresentative. I'd expect a movie closer to Straw Dogs or even The Grey with a poster like this. The candy-colored mouths ruin what is otherwise a perfectly serviceable cover to another edition of Jack London's "Call of the Wild" or "White Fang."

The format is tired (I recall it being used for multiple GBS photoshop threads as far back as :regd06:), but I think it's at least tonally consistent with the movie's aesthetic and at least features something from the drat movie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Speaking of, does anyone have the link to the GBS Grindhouse poster thread?

e: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/photoshop-phriday/grindhouse-movies.php

Probably should have used google "something awful Grindhouse" instead of searching the forums.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 18, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

I really like this poster. Makes me feel uncomfortable.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Speaking of, does anyone have the link to the GBS Grindhouse poster thread?

e: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/photoshop-phriday/grindhouse-movies.php

Probably should have used google "something awful Grindhouse" instead of searching the forums.

The robocop one is just so flawless.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I actually like the intent and think that on its own it's a nice image, but once again it's grossly unrepresentative. I'd expect a movie closer to Straw Dogs or even The Grey with a poster like this. The candy-colored mouths ruin what is otherwise a perfectly serviceable cover to another edition of Jack London's "Call of the Wild" or "White Fang."

Yeah, I see what the artist is going for but it doesn't give a good idea of the movie. Also, the coloured teeth, while relevant (barely) to the film, are just silly.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ez posted:

Yeah, Pontypool is an excellent movie but it's probably hard to advertise it without spoiling the plot or making it look like a generic zombie movie.

It is: up until this moment I was under the impression that Pontypool was a generic zombie movie, albeit one made in the UK and with a low budget. And I might have heard something about zombie sheep (spoilered just in case this is actually a big thing in the movie)? Now I'm more interested in seeing it but also kind of bummed that I know the big twist.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You must have Pontypool mixed up with another movie. It's Canadian and there aren't zombie sheep as far as I remember.
Go see Pontypool while you have no idea what it is :)

edit: "Black Sheep" from New Zealand is the zombie sheep movie. It's pretty fun too.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 19, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah looks like it was even harder to advertise than I thought, at least to morons like me :v:

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Pontypool is verrry Canadian. Stephen McHattie is pretty great in it, though, at least we thought so. Even if you know the gist of the plot I think its still worth seeing how much a movie can do in the genre using only one building (one room, mostly). It's very tell-don't-show, but in a way that I thought maintained tension.

edit - I also took out my plot description from the poster post, in the hopes that I didn't ruin too much for anyone.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 19, 2013

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

ChetReckless posted:

Pontypool is verrry Canadian. Stephen McHattie is pretty great in it, though, at least we thought so. Even if you know the gist of the plot I think its still worth seeing how much a movie can do in the genre using only one building (one room, mostly). It's very tell-don't-show, but in a way that I thought maintained tension.

edit - I also took out my plot description from the poster post, in the hopes that I didn't ruin too much for anyone.

For ages I thought Pontypool was set in Wales. I was really disappointed when I found out otherwise. I guess I was confusing it with the town on Pontypridd.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The Canadian setting is important to the movie, since the plot relies on (dunno why I'm spoilering at this point...) the multilingualism of the Canadian territory where it's set.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Tears In A Vial posted:

For ages I thought Pontypool was set in Wales. I was really disappointed when I found out otherwise. I guess I was confusing it with the town on Pontypridd.

No there's a Pontypool here in Wales too. I had a similar reaction when I first heard the title and thought what a lovely place to set a film.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is that the real cover? I was hoping it was a placeholder when it showed up on Amazon. :( When I pre-ordered Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy there, they had this ridiculous image with Colin Firth's huge head taking up 4/5ths of it and I was not looking forward to it. But then when it shipped, it was the normal cover.

Brettbot fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was in Hollywood this morning and noticed this poster. The movie is from 1933 so it's not surprising that Dr. Yen is played by a Dane named Nils Asther but I was surprised that Barbara Stanwyck is drawn in a see through gown and yes, you can see her nipples.