Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Growing up is hard.

It's hard and nobody cares.

Even if you aren't a freak of nature. Sadly, you probably are.

Welcome to Moreau. I say that figuratively, of course. You know the place better than I do.

I'm going to make this brief. Monsterhearts is a game about teenage monsters, growing up, sex, violence, dysfunction, and drama. This game is probably going to touch into all of these themes. We're going to be following the "I will not abandon you" school of thought here. We'll probably hit some parts that may be uncomfortable for some players. Voice your problems in this thread, so that the other players can keep your concerns in mind but don't expect something to get shut down by me unless the behavior in and out of the game becomes completely unacceptable. If you don't want to deal with these things, please don't submit a character. This include queer themes. If you've got a problem with queer themes, this will definitely not be the game for you.

If you don't own Monsterhearts already, it's available at http://buriedwithoutceremony.com/monsterhearts/ for money or for good deeds. If you just want the playbooks and the reference sheets, they're available for free download further down the page.

The classes/playbooks in this game are called Skins. There can only be up to two players using the same Skin. I suggest you try to avoid sharing Skins, and if I get so many submissions that they're all taken (I highly doubt this) I suggest you try to keep your characters as different as possible. Submissions need the following questions answered:

1) What is an important aspect of the town/city of Moreau to you? This can be bad or good, subjectively or objectively.
2) Who is one person in your life who's important? This is an NPC. I don't need a life story, just a quick description. Friend, family, whatever.
3) How do you feel about your (or if you're the Mortal, your True Love's) supernatural nature? (Note: If you're playing the mortal, don't choose a True Love until after players have been selected.)
4) What is a good title for a Monsterhearts game? I literally can't think of anything. Oops.
5) Some art indicating what your character looks like is highly recommended.

Strings will be allocated after players have been selected, so hold off on that for now.

:siren:Submissions are closed:siren:

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Logan White

zachol fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 18, 2013

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Edit: RIP Kevin Keller.

iceyman fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 20, 2013

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Yes please Monster Teen Drama Bullshit thank you yes good.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Monster Teen Drama Bullshit is promising. Kevin, I'm curious to see which other move you take oops I'm dumb nevermind. Logan, I think you had a typo on your stats.

Kevin, who's one person who doesn't seem to respond to you the way others do? How does that make you feel?

Logan, when did Chatterbox first speak to you? How did you react that first time?

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 20, 2013

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

nvm

zachol fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 18, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
zachol I'm not sure where you're getting Logan's +2 volatile from. Can you explain?'

VVVV: Oh. Okay. I just checked that and you are totally, completely right. I blame my glitchy-rear end brain. Sorry, carry on. Dang, I am 0 for 2 right now :blush:

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 20, 2013

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

e: Yeah it's not actually in the skin information bits when you look at the long-form pdf.

Also I don't think I actually like Logan very much. Hmm. I think I'll see what other people make and then do something else.

zachol fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 18, 2013

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Lilly (Lisa) Vervain

Lisa had a very ignorable personality. It wasn't that anyone went out of their way to treat her badly, it was just that nobody thought much about her at all. By the time high school came around, she wasn't having any more of that poo poo. Changes would be made, and she would be popular. Lilly (nee Lisa) didn't plan on being the prom queen or anything, but she was going to be cool, make some 'friends', get to know people, and then make them all pay. She changed almost everything about her from her looks to her name and while she tries a bit too hard to be cool sometimes it seems to be working so far...

pre:
Lilly (Lisa) Vervain
Witch
brooding, deep eyes, dabbler

Hot 0
Cold +1
Volatile -1
Dark +1

Sympathetic Tokens
You gain power from sympathetic tokens - items of personal significance that you take from others.
Each sympathetic token counts as a String.

Sanctuary: A small room in the back of the old town Library
You have a secret place for practicing witchcraft.
Add 1 to all rolls you make within this space.

Hex-Casting
You can cast Hexes. Choose two that you know.
To cast:
Expend a sympathetic token during a secret ritual or
Meet the target’s gaze and chant at them in tongues.
Then roll with dark.
On a 10 up, the Hex works, and can easily be reversed.
On a 7-9, it works but choose one:
~ the casting does you 1 harm;
~ the Hex has unexpected side effects;
~ trigger your Darkest Self.

Wither
The person loses all of their hair, or their teeth start rotting and falling out, or their period comes and it comes
by the bucketful, or their skin gets all sickly yellow and spotty.
Whatever the specifics, it’s bad.

Illusions
Pick one: snakes and bugs, demonic visages, false prophecies, non-existent subtext.
The hexed sees that thing everywhere.
You have no control over the exact images or manifestations.
1) The old Town Library is only a few blocks from her house, and smells of creaking boards and musty old tomes. Lilly spent most of her childhood holed up inside losing herself in books. The newer modern day library is in the center of town and almost everyone goes there now, Lilly and the librarian are practically the only ones who ever use the old place.

2) Lilly's parents split up years ago, she lives with her mother, who spends most of her time away on business trips. As a result, the main parental figure in Lilly's life has been the librarian who manages the old town library, Melina DuPont. She was the one who pointed Lilly towards the books of witchcraft and various magic.

3) Lilly might have been frightened of these powers once when she still Lisa, but now she delights in her new found abilities and the potential they bring for her revenge.

4) Monster Teen Drama Bullshit seems appropriate.
edited to unbreak page

GodFish fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 19, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lilly, so okay, you've got these hexes you can throw around. Who did you first hex? What finally drove you to hex them?

zachol, feel free to abandon your character and start a new one if you want, just be sure to scratch out your first post so people know the Infernal's no longer taken.

Cocks Cable, can you put the hard details of your character down in your post? zachol's got a pretty good template there.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I suppose I'll put my money where my mouth is.

Melanie Lin

Moreau. Typical suburban town, the sort that's so common in those awful American dramas. Why was she here again?

She never wanted to leave home, she worked hard to finally get that shot at Yan Ping High school. She didn't want to start over again with people she didn't know, a town she hated just the postcard, a nowhere school in America. She never agreed in any part of this joint custody bullshit. Why did her mother get keep her for her high school years? Since when did she care?

She just wanted to go through the motions, get through her class, get everyone off her back. She wanted to go back to her dad and a life she cared for. She wanted to go home. She wanted and raged for a lot of things. And she knew Moreau gave her none of the things she wanted. But in all her brief time here, Melanie never really considered whether this typical suburban town instead offered to her another thing.

Everything she ever dreamed of.

quote:

Skin
The Mortal

Look/Origin
awkward, darting eyes, new kid in town

Stats
Hot* 1, Cold* -1, Volatile -1, Dark 2

Moves
True Love
You always have exactly one lover. The first is chosen during your backstory. If you ever fall in love with someone else instead, give them a String and they become your new lover. You always carry 1 forward to earning your lover’s heart or fancy.

Mess With Me, Mess With Her
When you use your lover’s name as a threat, add 2 to your roll to shut someone down or hold steady. Your lover gains a String on you.

Sympathy is My Weapon
Every time you forgive someone for hurting you, and excuse their base nature, take a String on them.

Excuses Are My Armour
When you ignore some blatant problem with your lover or how they treat you, mark experience.

Strings
Bella: 1
Chloe: 3

1) Moreau has a very small Chinatown that houses an old and very tight-knit community. It's very hard to miss, they have this really colorful gate that marks the entrance of the neighborhood in red paint and golden Chinese letters. It in no way reminds Melanie of Taiwan at all, but the food is good and the people are friendly and familiar. It's where she always goes on the way home.

2) Melanie has a... friend, probably. A seatmate. Her name is Mia, she's lived in Moraeu all her life with her aunt in Chinatown. She's a bit annoying, always asking Melanie about Taipei and what it's like in the city and the old Republic. Means well though, even if they're both awkward in school.

3) There's just something about one seating in front of Melanie in homeroom. Too goddamn cute and hot. She really wants to go up to h- ugh, no, no. She's still supposed to be miserable about this whole thing. Forget it.

(I suppose we'll reserve this one possibly for later.)

4) Monster Teen Drama Bullshit, yes.

5) It is actually hard to find a good match for "angsty chinese girl". If anyone has anything appropriate to offer for a pic that would be swell. :) I guess this one I found will do!

Mitama fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 5, 2013

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

quote:

The Fae
Iris Ochre
Mysterious look, lyrical eyes
Adopted

Hot +2
Cold -1

Volatile -1
Dark +1

Faery Contract
If someone breaks a promise or contract made to you, take a String on them. When spending a String to even out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add these options:
-they gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment;
-add 2 to your roll on an act of vengeance;
-they suffer 1 harm, whether the cause is obvious or not.

Beyond The Veil
When you attempt to commune with the Faery King, gaze into the abyss.
-On a 10 up, add this option to the list: find a hidden String against someone.
-On a 7-9, add this option to the list: the visions are clear, but the Faery King demands a favor of you.

Lure
Whenever someone makes a promise to you, they mark experience.
Whenever someone breaks a promise to you and you seek vengeance, mark experience.

Sex Move
When you lie naked with another, you can ask them for a promise. If they refuse, take 2 strings on them.

Darkest Self
Everything you say is a promise. Everything you hear is a promise. If a promise is broken, justice must be wrought in blood. To escape your Darkest Self, you must in some way re-balance the scales of justice.

Strings
Chloe +2/-2 She thinks I'm hot/I want to save her
Emmet +3/-1 I know what he is/Open book
Melanie 0/-1 Open book
Patrick +2/-3 He's not subtle/He watches me
Tucker +1/-1 He's not subtle/Open book

Promises
Claire Beaumont Got my back in the future
Ms Harper "I'll make sure you're safe"
Tucker Will protect me and Claire from his family
Emmet Will not tell that I'm Fae, will protect me if asked

My Promises
The King one more...
Janet "I will come every second day."

"I used to be really angry, you know? Mostly at the King for making me hang out with the meaties. I thought it was exile, and I hadn't even done nothing. No nothing, I promise. And when I saw the King he'd just say that it was 'for my education', and laugh."

"I guess I lashed out a lot, especially at my meatie parents, but I never let on who I am. Not even to them. Old golden hat made me give my word on that, so, yeah, I guess you don't get to be King for nothing. When I was shouting the whole time, I think they figured that I was dealing with being adopted or something. Kind of a shame for them."

"I mean, I still don't get meaties, don't get me wrong. They break their oaths the whole time. It's sooo nasty how they pretend like words aren't more than words. But, anyway, I was in one of those classes, "Introduction to Law" they called it. Anyway, this real old meatie guy started talking about contracts, and it turns out that some of them get how words are more than words after all. They call them 'lawyers', and they do, like, all the words for the rest of the meaties. Yeah, it's a real weird set up, but that was LIGHT ON time for me. See, I figure that if I can be a lawyer there, dealing with all the meatie oathbreakers, then when I get back here I'll be so badass that the King will make me a full on promisemaker."

"poo poo, I gotta go back, the library closes soon."

1) What is an important aspect of the town/city of Moreau to you?
The library. I go to there to remind me that, even here, people know that words are important. Even if you wouldn't believe it from their actions.

2) Who is one person in your life who's important?
Kate, my human mum. Up until a couple of years ago things were rocky, but when I talked to her about studying law she said "I promise that if you work hard, then you'll do really well". She knows I'm "funny" about promises so she must have meant it. We've been closer since then.

3) How do you feel about your supernatural nature?
Completely at home with it. It's my human side that I don't even recognise yet.

4) What is a good title for a Monsterhearts game?
Promise me you'll call it Monster Teen Drama Bullshit.

exuma fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 27, 2013

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I'm just going to lay claim to a Hollow here; it'll be up when I get back home.

As for a title? Omnia Vincit Amor, how's that? Or Monster Teen Drama Bullshit, that works too.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 18, 2013

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Alright take two.

Karen O'Shea

"Brains... braiinsss... braiahahahah gotcha! Hahahaha. Seriously though, got some food?"

Karen died like five years ago. She's not sure why she's up walking again, and she's smart enough to know she should be way more rotted and horrible. She doesn't understand why she heals when she's not looking. She doesn't really know why nobody's paid attention, either. She doesn't know what she should be doing, whether she should be figuring this out or something.
There's one thing she does know, and that's the hunger.

Fear. She downplays it in public, works the uncertainty, the confusion, because she likes being... well, not "alive," but moving at least, again, likes having her life sort of back. Likes everyone looking at her like she's normal. But that creeping feeling in the back of your head? That feeling like something's wrapping its long fingers around your neck, breathing down your spine, the feeling like everything's about to go wrong? She doesn't just like that, she loves it. Loves tasting it. She doesn't know why, or how she can, but it's the best thing she's ever had.

Also she lost like a billion pounds. Bahahahah. This is pretty awesome.

"Wh... no, it's a costume. With makeup and stuff? Yeah I know Halloween's not for three months. Jeez, don't be such a grump."

quote:

Karen O'Shea
The Ghoul

Thin look, quiet eyes, resurrected origin

Hot -1
Cold +2
Volatile +1
Dark -1

The Hunger: Fear - When you heedlessly pursue a Hunger, add 1 to rolls. When you ignore a feeding opportunity, roll to hold steady.

Disaffected - When you turn someone on, roll +cold.

Short Rest for the Wicked - When you die, wait it out. Some hours later, you wake up fully healed.

Sex Move - When you have sex with someone, add "having sex with [this person]" as an additional Hunger. If you already have this Hunger, mark experience.

Darkest Self - Nightmare time. No jokes, no pranks, just good old fashioned blind terror, until it all peters out, or someone keeps you in the light for a good while, thirty minutes plus.

Karen loves the cemetery ha ha just kidding gently caress that place. Waking up sucked, the only thing that's really sucked so far. No, she likes the woods. People go camping in the woods, still, for whatever stupid reason, and there are enough rumors and legends in Moreau that she can get all kinds of rises out them.
Also her house. Why's it abandoned? For like... well, five years. She's been fixing it up. She liked this house.

poo poo, where's Mom and Dad, anyway? Nobody knows. Every time she says "Karen O'Shea" or asks about "Will and Hailey" she gets blank stares.
Guh. Creepy. Are her memories even right? They're so clear. She really wants to find them. Not sure what she'd even say, though. She should figure this out first.

Karen is pretty jazzed about this undead thing. Sort of. Like, she doesn't "eat the flesh of the living" and blahbity-blah, it's not that, but she still sometimes creeps herself out, like she really should feel more guilty about it or something. Like, weirded out that you're not weirded out by something, by how easily you accept it?
Does that even make sense?
Also sometimes... no, a lot of times, she grins or laughs or something, and then her mood snaps back like a rubber band. Just flat. That's weird, isn't it?

zachol fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 18, 2013

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Chloe Caraway

God, the poo poo I put up with! So my mom catches me smoking again, right? And she loving loses her poo poo. She's all like "I thought you told me you'd quit!" but like, what do you expect, mom? I told you that because you wouldn't get the hell out of my face. I mean, why shouldn't I smoke? Because some rich doctor with a fancy car and a big fat pension says I shouldn't? Bullshit! They all smoke too, they just don't want you to know it. It's all a scam by big pharma, anyway -- they all want us to THINK that cigarettes are killing us, when really it's all this poo poo they keep prescribing. The Indians smoked tabbaco all the drat time, and they were okay before we showed up here.

No use telling her that. She starts going on about cancer studies -- please! As if those ivory tower academics know poo poo about anything. 'Science' is just a load of colonial garbage anyway. You can't like... know stuff just from looking through a microscope or whatever. They're no better than the fundies -- no wonder this country's such a shithole. God, this whole town is just full of conformist sheeple -- go ahead, sell your soul to the corporations or the government. Most of the time, I'm pretty sure I'm getting the better deal!

What? Uh, never mind, didn't mean anything by that. Say, can I borrow a smoke? My mom took mine. Christ, I'll be so glad when I'm out of that goddamn house. Yeah, I'm moving out soon; I've got a friend who can help make it happen. No, no one you know. Sorry, I've gotta take off; if I skip school more than twice a week, they call home and I don't want to deal with that bullshit tonight. Thanks for the smoke, I owe you!

quote:

The Infernal

Distant look, burning eyes
Bartered Soul

Hot -1
Cold -1
Volatile 2*
Dark 1*

Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Unkowable
When you lash out physically against someone, on a 10 up, they lose 1 String on you. On a 7-9, add to your list of options: they lose 1 String on you.

Bare Your Fangs
While you are your Darkest Self, you may use Volatile instead of Cold to shut someone down or hold steady.

Dark Power
The Poisoner

Bargains

Strings Attached
You can ask the dark power for something that you really, really want. The MC will attach a price to the thing you want, and hint at an undesired twist in its nature. If you pay the price, you’ll get what you’re after.

Elsewise Power
You can give the dark power a String to use a move you don’t have, just this once. This move can come from any playbook.

The Power Flows Through You
You can give the dark power a String in order to add 2 to your next roll (choose before rolling).

Numbing It Out
You can give the dark power a String in order to remove a Condition or up to two harm.

Uncanny Voices
You can give the dark power a String in order to realize a secret about someone you’re talking to. The owner of that character will reveal one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)

Strings

Bella: 1
Melanie: 3

Given to Poisoner: 5!

Experience: 1/5

1) This town is so goddamn fake. Walmart and GAP and loving McDonalds, big corporations sucking out anything real that used to be here. But there's this one store; Scratched Vinyl. I'm in there any chance I get. You can go there and buy some REAL music, and talk with some of the few people around here who have any kind of clue. Like...

2) Devon; he works at Scratched Vinyl most days. He's really cool -- he never went to college, but you don't need a fancy degree to know poo poo. He always knows about the best music and where all the underground concerts are going to be. He's one of the few people I'll miss when I'm out of this place. What? No! Don't be loving gross. Dude's like my brother.

3) Seems like everywhere you go, someone always wants a piece of you. The government, the corporations, school, family... gently caress all that poo poo. I don't need any of it. If someone's going to own me, it'll be my goddamn choice, you know?

4) If you do not go with Monster Teen Drama Bullshit I will be very disappointed.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 15, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Melanie, you've got a talent. No, not that kind of talent! A normal-people skill. Who taught you it? What about it appeals to you?

Karen, you've got a Hunger, I know, I know. What about normal hunger? Do you still eat muggle food? Also, did anybody recognize you after you came back?

Iris, you've got a contact besides the King back in Faerie. They're not very powerful, but that's good, because that's the only reason you're able to bully them into having anything to do with you while you're in meat-land. Who are they, and what kind of trouble did they cause for you the last time you saw them?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh poo poo another one.

Chloe, who gave you your first cigarette? Where are they now? Which mistake did they make that you've sworn not to copy?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Karen, you've got a Hunger, I know, I know. What about normal hunger? Do you still eat muggle food?

Sometimes, for fun. She can eat as much as she wants and not get fat, which is sort of neat. But no, she doesn't have to. She doesn't have to breathe or drink, for that matter, it's all just habit and comfort.

quote:

Also, did anybody recognize you after you came back?

It's really weird. Sometimes people will say "Oh, hi Karen" like it's normal. Sometimes people will say "Karen O'Shea... strange, there was a Karen O'Shea around here five years ago, she died." Nobody really recognizes her, though, and it's all passing acquaintances, old people on the block who stop and look at her and shake their heads mumbling.
Anytime she gets close to someone who actually knew her, she gets confusion, or blank stares, or the person just... isn't there. Nobody has any records of her parents. Everyone ignores the house, her parent's house, and none of the neighbors really respond to her asking about it, just sort of evade the question.
Except then randomly they say stuff like "it's so nice to have you back, fixing the place up."

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Oh hey, somebody took the plunge MCing this. Awesome. I'll have a character up later, probably Vampire or Werewolf.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Tollymain posted:

Oh poo poo another one.

Chloe, who gave you your first cigarette? Where are they now? Which mistake did they make that you've sworn not to copy?

gently caress, I don't know! Some dude at a lovely party, maybe? I used to go to a lot of-- Wait, wait, wait, it was my cousin, right. Nancy's like five years older than me, and I used to really like her. Hell, 15 year old me thought she was awesome! She'd give me a cigarette, and we'd smoke together and she'd tell me all about how she was going to be an artist. But, dude, has she ever sold out! She's in law school now. Engaged to some colossal douchebag with a bad tan. Soon she'll have the Good Job and the Nice House and the Three Kids. And you just wait; in ten loving years I'll hear all about how douchey-McSprayOnTan was screwing his secretary behind her back, and there'll be a messy divorce and all that law school isn't going to do poo poo about the fact that she'll be in her thirties and miserable and stuck with three bratty kids with a father she hates. And it'll serve her right, because if there's one thing America doesn't need, it's another lawyer.

I'm sure as hell not going to end up like that. I've got better ways to get what I want.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
This looks interesting, though I'm having a hard time figuring out how this game is supposed to work.
Any advice for someone on the fence about getting this game?

Flipping through the Skins, Chosen seems to jump out at me. It does say that this might change the tone of the game, though.
It reminds me of that activist chick I had a hate-crush on back in high school. So, I guess someone who fights literal monsters but really wants to fight "The Man"?

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

Tollymain posted:

Iris, you've got a contact besides the King back in Faerie. They're not very powerful, but that's good, because that's the only reason you're able to bully them into having anything to do with you while you're in meat-land. Who are they, and what kind of trouble did they cause for you the last time you saw them?

You mean Janet, right? Yeah, she's just an alven. You know, like a water spirit for a place that is in Faerie and in Earth too. Looks after that little waterfall the locals call Janet's Foss.

Its nice down there, nice to have my meatie body somewhere that feels like home. Janets ok too, not all goth like alven usually are. You know, all that Ophelia, white flowers, and doomed love stuff. She's not like that, she's kinda cool.

What? No! I totally don't see her that way. I mean, I'm not racist, but me and a place-faerie? That wouldn't work, like, culturally. Have you been listening to mountain-bike Brian? He's lying, he just saw us talking, and made up the rest. Yeah, it makes for funny stories, Iris like girls. Whatever. Just because I used to hang with that crew, but am mostly in the library now.

No, I'm not avoiding her over it: I've just been busy is all. Like I said, in the library.

Gazetteer posted:

...because if there's one thing America doesn't need, it's another lawyer.

This is awesome.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Permission to play this skin?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YkCZgw7bMdgy-5ynXUR0gGsO3RoNyof_zX72jaV6vjI/edit?hl=en&forcehl=1

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Tollymain posted:

Cocks Cable, can you put the hard details of your character down in your post? zachol's got a pretty good template there.

Sure thing. I'll have it done later today. You posted the game right before I went to bed and I just threw something up to put my foot in the door because this looked amazing. Everyone's characters look great.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of bed...

Mile'ionaha, two things:

1) I actually looked at that playbook before I started this and while I won't forbid using it, I will say that it doesn't have the feel of angst and sex and dysfunction for me that I'm looking for in MH. Maybe your submission will blow me away and change my mind, so if you really want to go ahead. Just giving you fair warning. Pretty much all third-party playbooks are free for submitting, guys. If I have a problem I'll voice it when I see it.

2) You've got a truly dickish username :argh: (mostly joking)

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Melanie, you've got a talent. No, not that kind of talent! A normal-people skill. Who taught you it? What about it appeals to you?

"Normal people skill." I get it. I am the new girl, you think you can just throw dumb questions at me and tell everyone later that you "got to know me". Like I am that easy to understand. 白痴。

For your information, an administrator from Yan Ping High School offered a scholarship to me the day he attended my final school recital. Dvorak's Cello Concerto in B minor. I still remember it clear as day. 老師... Teacher Chen watched expectantly when I played my solo. Very harsh teacher, she drove the fear into every student in her class. I didn't plan to disappoint her, or my father. He worked very hard to see that I did well, even after the divorce.

And I did not. Never did I play better than I did that night. And I would have done more of the same for Yan Ping too, if not for the move. I will not play for Moreau, do not ask me to. I do not expect you to understand why, but music means the world to me. A whole different world that everyone pushed me away from. Melodramatic? Probably. I'm sure you and your friends can laugh that up with the other lies you have spread about me.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 18, 2013

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Uaica Apinaje

pre:
Dark skinned, with wrathful eyes and rough-spun, colorful clothes.

Once a legend, cut down

Hot 	 2
Cold 	-1
Volatile 1
Dark	-1

quote:

● Dark Appetite
You live on human flesh and spoiled food. Take the Condition sickened whenever you eat or drink normal fare; heal 1-harm (max once per day) when you sate your appetite properly. Add 2 to your next roll versus anyone whose flesh you’ve tasted. The first time someone sees you eat gross stuff, even if they’re hiding, you just know—you each get a String on one another.

○ Foreign Exchange
Spend a String on someone to steal their appearance. Roll with hot. On a hit, it works—you get the Condition disguised, they get duplicated. On a 7-9, fate demands a trade: while you’re transformed, they get one move of yours (their choice) and you can't use it. The transformation lasts until you end it voluntarily, you fill your harm circle, or one sunset and sunrise pass (either order).

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, it counts as eating both human flesh and normal fare for Dark Appetite purposes (even if you no longer have it—see advancement). You get the usual +2 to your next roll against them. Re: strings for watching you feed for the first time, your partner or partners don’t count, but anyone who walks in on you does. They get a String on, and give a String to, whoever you’re sleeping with as well.

Darkest Self
Among your people, you were born to rule, to command, to terrorize. Here you get no respect. It’s easier just to be what they want you to be—and what they want you to be isn’t very nice. You embody the grotesque, acting strange and different not because that’s who you are, but because it disgusts and terrifies those around you. Exult in your difference. Let them know just how far from normal you are, and make them quake in terror and admiration—by force if necessary. Exit your Darkest Self when you have glutted yourself on lies, flesh, and violence; or when someone recognizes an important similarity between your way of life and theirs.

Uaica vaguely remembers a time before. Those memories mock him, looming out of the past to taunt them then retreating. Those hateful memories are the only things he sees when he dreams, but he does not dream often. he clearly remembers running, though, taking what he could and fleeing with his family as the bulldozers came. The foreigners had lied, said they could help, but the bulldozers came and flattened their village, driving them out before the dam went up and drowned everything, forever. He remembers a tree, watching its broad, green limbs sink beneath the reservoir. It used to be important to him, somehow.

There were shelters, anger, homelessness, and learning. He learned the language of the men behind the bulldozers, the contractors behind the dam. He learned how to ensnare and bewitch. He pretended to be an ophan and got himself adopted, with his skin darker than walnut, his clothes rough and bright, marking him as strange. Worse, he sees others wear a mockery of his style, 'hippies' or 'hipsters', as they sometimes call or are called. Sometimes the labels change, or contradict, but they enrage him even as they offer some trace of comfort.

They call him 'indigenous' or 'native' or, if they are especially ignorant, 'Latino'. He's like a toy, to them, strange and dark. They are like toys, too, but because they are foolish and fragile. It would be so easy to just blend in, but he hates that temptation, too. He is lonely, but who could possibly know what it is like to be so very alone?

1) What is an important aspect of the town/city of Moreau to you? The contracting company that built the dam is headquartered here. They ran roughshod over the injunctions that might have protected Uaica's past, now everything he cared about is gone.
2) Who is one person in your life who's important? His adopted parents. They don't really understand him, but they sure try hard.
3) How do you feel about your supernatural nature? It's a weapon. He revels in it, and hates that he has to hide it to get anywhere.
4) What is a good title for a Monsterhearts game? A pound of flesh.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Daniel Swanson

pre:
The Ghost
Look: Meek, Hollow Eyes
Origin: Left to die.
Stats:
Hot -1
Cold +1
Volatile +0
Dark +1

Moves:
Unresolved Trauma
Whenever you project the blame
and trauma of your death onto your
current situation, roll with dark. On
a 10 up, give two people the blamed
condition. On a 7-9, give up to two
people the blamed condition, but for
each, choose one:
-You gain the delusional condition,
-You can’t speak during this scene,
-You suffer one harm,
-You start re-enacting the scene of your death.

Dissipate
You can walk through walls.

Backstory/Strings: To be determined
Cold, wet, tired and my leg hurting. That's the first and last thing I remember. We'd just moved to Moreau, right in time for a class trip out to the state park. I got lost. Injured, badly. It rained, hard that night, and the next. They never found me but that's okay, I was back in class the next week. Like nothing changed.

Except it did. I'm dead. But I'm still here. I can't leave. Or maybe I don't want to? Sometimes I'm not sure. I'd like to graduate, at least.

Nothing's changed much. I'm still the quiet kid nobody notices, sitting in the same seat. Its been that way for a few...months now? Its hard to tell.

1) Moreau has some amazingly beautiful and pristine woodland surrounding it. You could get lost for days in our state park.

2) Kyle Pettigrew. He was the first student I met, showed me around the school and town, met my parents, the works. He's not in any of my classes (or grade) but he still asks how I'm doing now and then. A few times I almost...disappeared, he got me back on track. I don't know if he knows though.

3) I'm dead, so I can't die or get hurt, right? Not that I've tried it out yet. Sometimes, walls don't really exist. I can get places quicker and where I'm not supposed to be. Its nice.

I'm dead, so I'm not going to grow older or change in any meaningful way. Even if I graduate, I can't go anywhere. Sometimes, I stop existing. I'm nobody. Nothing. Its horrible.

I hate this not-life.

4) Monster Teen Drama Bullshit works for me.

5) Will find something soon. Found a picture, not quite happy with it and might switch it later.

ThreeStep fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 18, 2013

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Awww sorry to see the Logan character scratched. He looked interesting! Let's preserve him as an NPC.

iceyman fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 20, 2013

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Oh hell yeah.

Hmm... people have already claimed my two favorite skins, and both submissions are really good. Time to branch out a bit.

Tucker Bendis

That whole "alpha wolf, beta wolf, omega wolf" thing is bullshit, you know. Read that on the Internet. Says that modern... wolfologists or whatever think it's more about the pair that gets to breed being the center of the pack and everybody else kinda falling in around them. There's no big boss at the top of the heap, no poor dog on the bottom of the totem pole.

Tell that to my fuckin' family. It's like, what, 'cuz I'd rather go to a poetry slam than Heil Hitler and howl at the moon I'm somehow less of a wolf than they are? I got news for ya, Uncle Paul, ain't no "mud people conspiracy" that took your job, it was you and your case of Old Milwaukee for breakfast every day did that. Not like I'd ever say that to his face. I like my teeth where they are, thanks.

poo poo. Where was I? Oh, right. See, I think all that dominance poo poo comes from the two-leg side, not the four. People's the ones who think "I'm stronger than you, so what's yours is mine." And we're just as much people as we are wolves.

So, I guess what I'm sayin' is: "Gimme your fuckin' wallet before I stick you."

quote:

The Werewolf

Wiry, predatory eyes.
Born a (were)wolf*

Hot 1
Cold -1
Volatile 2
Dark -1

Heightened Senses
When you rely on your animal instincts to make sense of a charged situation, roll with dark. On a 10 up, ask the MC three questions. If you act on one of the MC’s answers, add 1 to your first roll. • On a 7-9, ask one:
  • Where’s my best escape route or way in?
  • Which enemy is the most vulnerable to me?
  • What’s their secret weakness?
  • What poses the biggest threat to me?
  • Who’s in control here?

Bare Your Fangs
While you are your Darkest Self, you may use Volatile instead of Cold to shut someone down or hold steady.

Strings
Melanie: 0
Iris: 1
Chloe: 0
Patrick: 3
Emmet: 0

1) What is an important aspect of the town/city of Moreau to you? This can be bad or good, subjectively or objectively.
There might only be one Starbucks in town, but there's also Merapi if you know the right alley to go down. Uncle Paul'd kill me if he knew I hung out there, but they got poetry slams and jazz musicians and poo poo. It's pretty cool.

2) Who is one person in your life who's important? This is an NPC. I don't need a life story, just a quick description. Friend, family, whatever.
Look, my family's a buncha ignorant shitheels, but there's this girl who lives in the same park as us. Marigold. She's real smart, prolly gonna go be a doctor or a bigshot lawyer or something, only she's got this crush on my brother Corey. And Corey, he don't like it when a girl's smarter than him. Uncle Paul says the only fighting that's allowed in the pack is the Alpha Challenge, but so help me if Corey raises a hand to that girl I will beat his rear end with a silver candlestick.

3) How do you feel about your (or if you're the Mortal, your True Love's) supernatural nature? (Note: If you're playing the mortal, don't choose a True Love until after players have been selected.)
Hell, bein' a werewolf kicks rear end! If it weren't for that, I'd just be one more trailer trash kid in a lovely little town in the middle of goddamn nowhere. It's just... ain't I supposed to have grown in one of them stubbly beards the girls go nuts over by now?

4) What is a good title for a Monsterhearts game? I literally can't think of anything. Oops.
Monster Teen Drama Bullshit is the clear answer.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 20, 2013

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Dang, got beaten to that werewolf punch! Ah well.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Patrick Adalwulf

The Adalwulfs have money. Old money. Sure, they could be richer, or they wouldn't be here. But they own this town. That, some people say, is the only reason they live here: they can get away with it. Everyone knows the Adalwulf temper, after all.

Patrick Adalwulf is the only son of the family. At school, he's not known for being rich, though - he's known for being angry. People want to be friends with Pat Adalwulf not for his father's name, but because he is famously loyal. He once broke someone's arm for hurting his friend's feelings. (Of course, this can make becoming his friend difficult.) Well, that and boxing. Pat Adalwulf is a boxer, and the star of the school boxing club. They just have this problem sending him to tournaments - sometimes, he just can't hold back.

Especially when they get him mad.

pre:
The Werewolf

Feisty look, savage eyes
Ancestral power

Hot 1
Cold 0
Volatile 1
Dark -1

XP: 2

Heightened Senses
When you rely on your animal instincts to make sense of a charged situation, roll with dark. 
On a 10 up, ask the MC three questions. If you act on one of the MC's answers, add 1 to your 
first roll. On a 7-9, ask one.
- Where's my best escape route or way in?
- Which enemy is the most vulnerable to me?
- What's their secret weakness?
- Who poses the biggest threat to me?
- Who's in control here?

Primal Dominance
When you harm someone, take a String on them.

Strings
Melanie-4
Iris-3
Chloe-0
Tucker-1
Emmet-0
rear end in a top hat Mace Guy-1
1. What is an important aspect of the town/city of Moreau to you?

It'd have to be the park. I get all tense when I don't get some time to unwind, you know? Sure, I mean, I could go home, I got poo poo at home I can do, but...I need me time. Can't get that at home. Not with my dad and my sisters around. I love 'em and all, but a guy needs time to himself, yeah? Besides, there's an MMA league that does its recording here for Youtube. I want to get in on that.

2. Who is one person in your life who's important? This is an NPC. I don't need a life story, just a quick description. Friend, family, whatever.

My little sister, Elisa. She is my little sister. She's just like a puppy - all friendly and cheerful and can't handle herself in a fight. She's an artist. Keeps me calm. Doesn't even have too much of a temper. If you make her cry, I will end you. People say I get mad when my friends get hurt. Yeah, I broke that guy's arm.

You haven't seen mad yet.

3. How do you feel about your (or if you're the Mortal, your True Love's) supernatural nature? (Note: If you're playing the mortal, don't choose a True Love until after players have been selected.)

This is me. This is my family. I am. I don't know about you, but I need this. I need the claws and meat and the power. I need to feel this. Not all the time, but I need this. The freedom, the power...how could you not be in love with it? I feel bad for the humans. I really do.

They can't feel this. They'll never know what real strength is. Father says it's our birthright. I think he's right about that. We don't always agree on things, but...well, we agree on that.

4. What is a good title for a Monsterhearts game? I literally can't think of anything. Oops.

Do you even need to ask now?

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 21, 2013

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
I'm usually just a D&D murderhobo, but gently caress if this isn't intriguing. I'll give it a try. Here's a vampire slacker.

Eli Gates

pre:
The Vampire
Look: Aloof, pained eyes
Origin: Taken this century
Stats:
Hot +1
Cold +2
Volatile -1
Dark -1

Moves:
Hypnotic
You can hypnotize people who have no Strings on you. Roll with hot. On a 10 up, they do exactly what you wish and have no idea that anything is wrong. 
On a 7-9, the hypnosis works, but choose one:
  • they realize you hypnotized them;
  • they gently caress up your commands;
  • their sanity is unhinged.
The Feeding You feed on hot blood. If this is the first time they’ve ever been fed upon, you both mark experience. When you feed, choose two:
  • you heal 1 harm previously suffered,
  • you carry 1 forward,
  • they don’t die.
Backstory/Strings You’re *~beautiful~*. Gain a String on everyone. Someone once saved your unlife. They gain 2 Strings on you.
gently caress this poo poo. I spend my whole life just trying to blend into the background, don't offend nobody, don't be nobody. I just want to mind my own business, graduate, work some boring rear end job, smoke some weed and play video games all day. Then I go to this party and this weird hot chick is all "come with me," so of course I do, and I end up handcuffed to a bed, getting my blood sucked till I'm about to pass out and then having her shove her neck into my mouth.

So I bite. I drink until I can't no more, and then I pass out. I wake up and it's the next day and Jeff and a couple of friends are laughing and asking what kinky poo poo I got up to before they get me out of the cuffs.

Nobody knows who the gently caress that girl was, or even remembers seeing her. All I know is now the sun hurts, food doesn't fill me, and everybody's always fuckin' looking at me.

It's cloudy. Yeah, I know, fuckin' Twilight, shut up. The sun doesn't make me turn into burning man, but it sure as hell feels like it. Bright light makes it hard to see, too.

There's this girl, Vera, one of those goth chicks. Basically, for the first week after all that poo poo, I tried to ignore the hunger. I knew what it was I had to do, but gently caress, what was I supposed to do, go up and ask "Hey, I'm a loving vampire, can I suck you blood?" Turns out, yeah. Exactly that. So now every week or so, we meet up and have a good ol' blood sucking time. I guess we're dating? Honestly, she's kind of a pain, but I put up with listening to her bad poetry and whining as long as the blood keeps coming. Or until I find a better source.

3) How do you feel about your supernatural nature?

I was pretty freaked out about it at first, but it's starting to grow on me. I thought all I wanted was to be left alone, but it turns out having people hanging all over your supernatural allure is pretty nice, too. And I've got this little trick, nothing big, just a little mind control. Haven't done anything big with it so far, just some pranks here and there. Everybody wonders why Hollie Clay stood up and started clucking like a chicken in the middle of class.

Every once in awhile I wonder about that chick who turned me. Is there, like, some invisible vampire war or whatever like in those games, and I'm going to be a pawn in it? Or was it just her idea of a little vampire prank? For that matter, where the gently caress are any other vampires? Far as I know, it's just me and her. But hey, I do know how she turned me, if I wanted some company... Hm.

I don't think anyone even needs to answer this anymore. :colbert:

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Edit: RIP Kevin Keller

iceyman fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 20, 2013

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Logan could make sense as an NPC, yeah. He's really easy to play, just have him snap at everyone and hide in the corner.
Also at some point in the vague future he gets eerily calm and relaxed and goes on a murderous rampage.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kevin, there's one person in your clique who's been some trouble. Who are they, and what did they do? What stopped you from cutting them loose?

Eli, you tried feeding on somebody other than Vera last week, but it all went horribly wrong. What happened? How do you feel about it, now that the catastrophe's blown over?

Tucker, so your uncle's a Neo-Nazi? Yikes. Does the rest of the town know about this? If so, does this affect the way the townspeople see you? Also why for you mug me man I done nothing to you leave me alone I won't tell nobody...

Daniel, you look a bit tired. Looks like being dead isn't anything like sleeping after all. What do you do in the night when everybody else is getting their eight hours of oblivion? How do you feel about no longer being able to sleep yourself?

Uaica, how do you pronounce that? How do you respond when people get it wrong? Rakshasa are Indian, checking my notes. Is that what you generally pass as?

Melanie, I notice you've got an english name. Well, technically originally french, but you know what I mean. What did they call you back in Taipei? Also, you've got a bit of a follower. Is there a word for a weaboo who's infatuated with Taiwan? How do you feel about them and their behavior? How do you behave towards them?

Iris, somebody currently owes you. They don't know just how binding their promise was, though. Do you think they're going to follow on their word or renege? What do you do to people who break their word to you?

Chloe, what does your um, friend, sound like? Is there anything distinctive about how they communicate with you?

Karen, how did you find out that you can't re-die? Was it an accident or did somebody try to kill you? Do you remember anything about the first time you died?

Lilly, tell me about the time Melina Dupont first introduced you to the fact that, hey, magic's out there in the world, it actually does exist; and that you have the hole in your soul that lets you do it too.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Tollymain posted:

Tucker, so your uncle's a Neo-Nazi? Yikes. Does the rest of the town know about this? If so, does this affect the way the townspeople see you? Also why for you mug me man I done nothing to you leave me alone I won't tell nobody...

Ain't just my uncle, it's pretty much the whole bunch of 'em. And it's hard to be subtle about it when you got a big-rear end tattoo of a Nazi eagle on your Adam's apple. Uncle Paul says it's to show people the only thing he bares his throat to is the Thousand-Year Reich. Whatever. Seems like most people just ignore it, gimme a wide berth, but I've gotten in a few scraps on account of people thinking the apple don't fall far from the tree. I can deal with that, fine, but every once in a while somebody who knows about my family will catch my eye and give me a little smile and a nod, y'know, like "don't tell nobody, but I got your back." Those are the times I wanna puke.

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff

Tollymain posted:

Eli, you tried feeding on somebody other than Vera last week, but it all went horribly wrong. What happened? How do you feel about it, now that the catastrophe's blown over?

Yeah, poo poo. I was at this concert, and I meet this girl, we're having a good time, ya know? So, as we're leaving I feel like I should really start pushing myself and seeing what I can do with this... thing. And besides, Vera's blood is starting to taste kind of... stale. So I do the usual, staring into her eyes and commanding her to go into this alley and stay still, and she does it. But I should have known something was up, because her eyes looked scared, and like she didn't know why she was doing it. Anyway, I lean in and start feeding but suddenly she's screaming and pushes me over on my rear end, running straight out of the alley into the road, where she gets hit by a pick up going full speed, and goes flying through the air.

I just loving ran the other direction, don't know what happened to her. Haven't had the courage to try and look it up in the news, but I assume she's dead. Didn't even know her name. I felt kind of bad, and then I felt kind of bad that I didn't feel really bad. I could blame the driver for hitting her, or her for running out into the road, but really it's my fault, right? And yet I can't make myself feel guilty.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Can I have more than three members of my gang to start? The play book only mentions three as part of the background. Would love to make up more. Or maybe that's just three with strings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

quote:

Uaica, how do you pronounce that? How do you respond when people get it wrong? Rakshasa are Indian, checking my notes. Is that what you generally pass as?

Just it's spelled, jeez. oo-AYE-ka, it's not that hard. And, no, I don't have a nickname. People already want to lump me into any group they drat well please, but I guess I can stomach being called 'Brazilian'.

OOC: The Rakshasa in particular may be Indian, but the skin is just about foreign-ness and a hatred of cultural appropriation. Uaica is a character traditional legend of an indigenous Brazilian tribe, but such drastic damage was done to the people that their land of the gods is riven, rendering Uaica like a fallen god, a demon who believes himself to be a man.

• Locked thread