Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

zenintrude posted:

Anyone with a SD2SNES know the proper way to get Satellaview games running? I tried to play BS F-Zero last night, and got the Satellaview town up and running, got BS F-Zero loaded from memory, and then it just stayed on this screen with a robot and some Japanese text and the word "Select"... pressing Select would bring up another page that would show a picture of the controller and what I assumed was control information, but I couldn't get it to actually load the game itself.

I think you need a BS-X .bin file because all my BS-X games play fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ACID POLICE posted:

I think you need a BS-X .bin file because all my BS-X games play fine.

I have that .bin file... with out it, the Satellaview/BS-X town wouldn't even load, I would have just seen a blank black screen. If you have the No Intro set, try to run BS F-Zero Grand Prix - Knight League and see if it loads for you; I tried it again at lunch and the robot just sits there, mocking me.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Is an official US Super NES adapter the same as the official Famicom and Super Famicom adapter? It looks like the output's the same, but I'm not sure if the end is different or if there's some other issue that would fry the systems.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

zenintrude posted:

I have that .bin file... with out it, the Satellaview/BS-X town wouldn't even load, I would have just seen a blank black screen. If you have the No Intro set, try to run BS F-Zero Grand Prix - Knight League and see if it loads for you; I tried it again at lunch and the robot just sits there, mocking me.

I had the same issue with F-Zero and as I said it's likely the audio crap they play alongside and BS-X support isn't 100% yet. I was able to get mario weekend to work if you want to really try a BSX game.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
No I know for a fact that I played through BS-X F-Zero on my SD2SNES back during 0.1.3 or 0.1.4. I only played through the first level though and then I don't think I played past that.

Certain games will start up and play until they make a call to the relevant enhancement chip, and then freeze when that doesn't work. Top Gear 3000 will play until the race starts if you don't have a good dsp4.bin.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

univbee posted:

Is an official US Super NES adapter the same as the official Famicom and Super Famicom adapter? It looks like the output's the same, but I'm not sure if the end is different or if there's some other issue that would fry the systems.

The regular Famicom, regular Super Famicom and the US SNES all take DC10V 850mA in. But I think the physical power plug might be slightly different in size between them? Assuming you have a working power adaptor around, you could put a new plug on its end and use it, if it doesn't fit.

Plug size should be the only incompatibility, if there even is any at all. Electrically they're identical.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Putting my tax dollars to work on a rakuten order please be kind. :ohdear:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I did one too last night!

Sorry I didn't mean to show you up iast :ohdear:

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 18, 2013

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
My step-down converter for my Famicom arrived. Only now do I read online advice more closely and realize I only need it if I intend to use the original power adapter and can just use any old US adapter that matches the proper output (like my Genesis one). I feel extra stupid because I wasn't excited about buying a $30/5lb box in the first place and was thinking there had to be an easier way.
:suicide:
Looks like I gotta make a return...

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Finished my NES pad adapter for my twin famicom, game pads work great in P1 & P2 ports

My zapper will flash the screen but it won't read so I'm not sure if it's broken or if I hosed up a line on P2. Whatever, gently caress it. I mostly wanted the pads to work.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I bought a sixth Dreamcast today.

Would anyone like to make me feel like less of an idiot by trading me stuff I could actually use in exchange for DC controllers, DC AV-cables, or VMUs?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Send me the power supply from one. You have 5 others, you'll hardly notice the difference.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Chainclaw posted:

The benefit to when a game you were going to buy turns out to be a giant piece of poo poo (Aliens Colonial Marines), you have this money for gaming leftover you can dump into retro games.

Went to Pink Gorilla today and picked up some Famicom carts.

Largely bought them for cart art / cart color.

What exactly are the two in the lower right? I tried finding the gray and gold one and Rakuten's charming auto-English translator called it "A Taxing Woman".

(Incidentally, you can find the damnndest things on Rakuten. Official Studio Ghibili Zippo with the cat from Kiki's Delivery Service? Check. Amazingly large selection of crack pipes? Check! Mentholated condoms? Check!)

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

redmercer posted:

What exactly are the two in the lower right? I tried finding the gray and gold one and Rakuten's charming auto-English translator called it "A Taxing Woman".

Seems like an accurate translation, at least according to Wikipedia. Marusa no Onna (A Taxing Woman) is an adventure game based on a Japanese comedy about a female tax auditor.

Hammond Edgar fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 19, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

zenintrude posted:

Anyone with a SD2SNES know the proper way to get Satellaview games running? I tried to play BS F-Zero last night, and got the Satellaview town up and running, got BS F-Zero loaded from memory, and then it just stayed on this screen with a robot and some Japanese text and the word "Select"... pressing Select would bring up another page that would show a picture of the controller and what I assumed was control information, but I couldn't get it to actually load the game itself.

I know the SD2SNES supports BS games but don't you still need to run patched games or else you are waiting for 15 minutes for other people to "join" or whatever?

flyboi posted:

So I was really loving tired of juggling my consoles around and the fact that my tv stand really was too small and made the tv top-heavy and tip over when you rotated it to swap cables around. Ended up going to Best Buy and got a new stand for the tv and am pretty happy with it. Have a s-video switch on the way for my genny, sfc and soon to arrive duo-r. My AV cables for the Duo are too short so I didn't bother connecting it since it will be replaced soon anyways. I'll likely put the duo-r up top and the genesis down below so I can keep my white/black systems consistent

I also got a NES pad and a Zapper today to work on making my NES port adapter for the famicom but don't feel like doing poo poo tonight after all that work. I'll likely start on that tomorrow.

Edit: Oh yeah, DC is hooked up via vga into the tv since it's a 480p 4:3 tv :smug:

This looks awesome. Wish I had the room for more than 1 TV. I also have never seen a 480p-only CRT. I know the DC and Wii look fantastic on it, but how does the NES or SNES? No weird pixelation stuff going on?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

zenintrude posted:

I bought a sixth Dreamcast today.

Would anyone like to make me feel like less of an idiot by trading me stuff I could actually use in exchange for DC controllers, DC AV-cables, or VMUs?

poo poo, I only have 5 N64s! Better catch up.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

elf help book posted:

Send me the power supply from one. You have 5 others, you'll hardly notice the difference.

I do have a "parts" Dreamcast... want to trade me something for a PSU?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I know the SD2SNES supports BS games but don't you still need to run patched games or else you are waiting for 15 minutes for other people to "join" or whatever?

This looks awesome. Wish I had the room for more than 1 TV. I also have never seen a 480p-only CRT. I know the DC and Wii look fantastic on it, but how does the NES or SNES? No weird pixelation stuff going on?

It's actually 480p/1050i but I leave it in 480p mode. NES/SNES look fine on it, scanlines just aren't as pronounced. Going to exchange my zapper for another as I got it to register a few times fiddling with the wire on it so I think it's at fault.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

zenintrude posted:

I do have a "parts" Dreamcast... want to trade me something for a PSU?

Sure.

Some DC things I'd be willing to get rid of, feel free to say no because I have no idea how much that's worth:

Official rumble pack
Performance brand rumble pack
Naki brand rumble pack CLEAR ORANGE SO 90s!
3 off brand 1 MEGA memory cards, 2 clear red, one clear blue TRIPLE 90s!
Seaman with mic, but no cardboard box
Bargain bin games such as Gauntlet Legends, Sega GT, Soul Fighter, Red Label NFL2K, Metropolis Street Racer

I could think of stuff from other systems if you don't like my junk.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

oh in my Twin Famicom excitement I forgot to post my haul for the weekend:

I'll probably bundle the Intellivision games with this Intellivision 2 I've had laying around and put it up on ebay.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

HKR posted:

I'll probably bundle the Intellivision games with this Intellivision 2 I've had laying around and put it up on ebay.

I already told you. Donkey Kong doesn't work on an Intellivision 2!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

elf help book posted:

I already told you. Donkey Kong doesn't work on an Intellivision 2!

I don't give a poo poo I want this out of my house and someone has to end up buying it, right?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I have a whole bunch of Intellivision games complete in box (but with the boxes mostly not that good shape) that I need to get rid of at some point.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

HKR posted:

I don't give a poo poo I want this out of my house and someone has to end up buying it, right?

You're in the greater Seattle area right [best area]? How much we talking here and do you take buckets of Shaq-Fu as currency

Unless the Intellivision 2 isn't a good Intellivision or something... I don't know my knowledge only goes back to the C64 :ohdear:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Well she's together, ugly as gently caress but I don't care. I don't have plastic working tools and I don't intend on ever selling this thing as it's just a convenience adapter for myself.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Install Gentoo posted:

I have a whole bunch of Intellivision games complete in box (but with the boxes mostly not that good shape) that I need to get rid of at some point.

I just sold a lot of some 50+ CIB intellivision games with overlays/instructions + system for about $90 on ebay. Don't expect to make a lot of money unless you have some super rare game like Fathom.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

roffels posted:

I just sold a lot of some 50+ CIB intellivision games with overlays/instructions + system for about $90 on ebay. Don't expect to make a lot of money unless you have some super rare game like Fathom.

That's exactly why I haven't been able to get rid of them. :v: They're not worth the effort to sell.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Install Gentoo posted:

That's exactly why I haven't been able to get rid of them. :v: They're not worth the effort to sell.

Yeah. I spent quite a bit of time cataloging all that, but I'm happy to be rid of it all. It took up quite a bit of room.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
Are Intellivision games not that fun to go back and play? I know I traded my 2600 for a Gamecube just so I could have something I'd enjoy to play and wouldn't just sit on the shelf. I figured it was just a lack of nostalgia for the system though as I never played one as a kid and could not get into the games.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

StellarX posted:

Are Intellivision games not that fun to go back and play? I know I traded my 2600 for a Gamecube just so I could have something I'd enjoy to play and wouldn't just sit on the shelf. I figured it was just a lack of nostalgia for the system though as I never played one as a kid and could not get into the games.

I got some Intellivision collection for pre-OS X Macintosh free on CD as some promotion... I only kinda liked one or two games on it. Was never an Intellivision fan really.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

StellarX posted:

Game quality is comparable to 2600 but with a worse controller.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Xik posted:

So I got a copy of Kirby's Ghost Trap (aka Super Puyo Puyo) to see if it would grab me after my run-in with Tetris Attack. It didn't really appeal that much to me. I don't think I suddenly like puzzle games any more then I used too, I just really like Tetris Attack. Which I guess says less about me and just more about how good Tetris Attack is.
Yeah I've played this with people and it's just not as good as Tetris Attack for some reason. I think it's because Tetris Attack has the Puzzle Fighter-esque design of "blocks dropped on you can be turned around and used as ammo". I do still like it though.

elf help book posted:

Power supply? Don't dreamcasts have the power supply built in, and use a standard power cable? Did yours just die?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Huh, after some digging, I found out the problem with my XRGB3, turns out my AC Adapter is hosed and that they're prone to that. I'm glad this makes the fix relatively simple, although the AC Adapter in question is a weird one, outputting 11V and 2A. Apparently the only way to really obtain something reliable is to buy something with the right electrical output and then solder a replacement cable back in. Still cheaper than dealing with sending the whole shebang back to Japan, at least. There's a Panasonic camera with the right outputs and easily-found AC adapters, hopefully one of those will work.

univbee fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 19, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

StellarX posted:

I don't know how the collections play out but my Intellivision still gets some use because the Dungeons & Dragons games are really good. The controller sucks but I like the console. If you didn't play your 2600 then no, don't bother clogging your shelf.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Cicero posted:

Power supply? Don't dreamcasts have the power supply built in, and use a standard power cable? Did yours just die?

It's internal, but if you open it up, it's a little board you can unplug and pop right out. I believe mine died as it won't turn on or show any signs of life whatsoever and that's a thing that can happen.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

StellarX posted:

Now that I have this lil guy I have no need for the actual games:
http://www.schells.com/cc3.shtml

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

StellarX posted:

Are Intellivision games not that fun to go back and play?

The Burgertime port was kind of decent. Any of the other 50 odd games I had? Not really.

The Atari 8-bit computer line and the Colecovision are pretty fun to play still if you're into classic arcade titles from that era, but I don't care so much for the 2600 or Intellivision.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Shark! Shark!, Snafu, and Astrosmash are three of the greatest games ever made, true story.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

StellarX posted:

Intellivision has some really cool games for the time (the Dungeons and Dragons games, Utopia, Atlantis etc.), but the controller really hurts the playability and enjoyment of those games a shitton.

roffels posted:

I don't care so much for the 2600

You've clearly never played Tank Pong in Combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I felt bad about breaking the seal on metroid until curiously, no VOID VOID VOID showed up. That should happen! Then I popped it into my fds and sure as poo poo, there's a save

Oh well, at least I don't feel like an rear end in a top hat now.

• Locked thread