Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

In case people hadn't noticed it, the founder gift of fake money for the in-game store showed up a few days ago. I can't find anything worth buying with 550 funbux though. Time limited costumes and mounts are the stupidest thing. Are any of the RNG boxes worth buying? Or maybe I should just get keys and continue to throw them on the trade broker for 100g each. Although the Valentines event has kind of overflowed the market on those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010
Doing something like spellbind boxes are probably better, you get 50 for 500 and they sell for 20G each which is double the rate of keys. There's probably better alternatives, and stuff like MW alks might sell for more, but keys definitely aren't worth it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

BobTheJanitor posted:

In case people hadn't noticed it, the founder gift of fake money for the in-game store showed up a few days ago. I can't find anything worth buying with 550 funbux though. Time limited costumes and mounts are the stupidest thing. Are any of the RNG boxes worth buying? Or maybe I should just get keys and continue to throw them on the trade broker for 100g each. Although the Valentines event has kind of overflowed the market on those.

From my experience with dyes in game, it isn't a flat 7 days period and then the item is gone, it's 7 days played in-game. Or at least, I think it is.

The 550 extra EMP was what I needed to buy another set of outfits. I really wish it had more variety though.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

From my experience with dyes in game, it isn't a flat 7 days period and then the item is gone, it's 7 days played in-game. Or at least, I think it is.

Yeah this is correct. Its 7 days (168 hours) of gameplay time.

Megatrauma
Jan 16, 2012

Wishing you were here, I'm hungry like a wolf

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Megatrauma posted:

Wishing you were here, I'm hungry like a wolf

Stop tempting me to spend money on this game. :negative:

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Stop tempting me to spend money on this game. :negative:
So save up the necessary gold and buy it from the broker.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Seriously, the sunglasses are less than 2k. Buying things in the real dollars shop to sell in the AH seems like an awful idea since the gold prices are just so ridiculously low.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

gibbed posted:

So save up the necessary gold and buy it from the broker.

Yeah, gold is pretty easy to come by. I saved up 3k just leveling and dumping crap on the AH. Locked strongboxes go for a stupid amount, given how common they are and how useless they are (Seriously, how do you not have more strongboxes than keys? Are you dumping hundreds of $ on the market?)

I'm generally wearing quest-reward gear, with the exception of my weapon which was 20 gold (and doubled my attack power), so no money spent there. If I don't hit 60 with 4k saved up, something went terribly wrong.

That's not even counting the ~4-5k I have available due to the tawny pack.

In hilariously inept news, I tried to PUG Ascent of Saravash last night, with... less than stellar results. Apparently nobody in the party could figure out that the gigantic red circle and flashing "FANGSPAWN IS EMITTING POISON!" meant "move out of the big AOE nuke". The priest kept dying and we ran out of res cooldowns for him - oh, except we wouldn't have, but dumbshit rezzed _ME_, the sorcerer, instead of the priest, wasting his 20 minute cooldown.

Eventually the tank said 'gently caress it' and soloed the guy while the rest of us corpses watched. Next boss two weren't as much of a problem, people comprehended "kill baby basilisks while tank handles daddy, then focus on mom to keep her away". Saravash himself obliterated us, and we gave up.

Oh and to add insult to injury one douchebag went AFK so we couldn't disband the party, and we had to eat the 30 minute instance debuff. Yay.

I really hope that isn't as miserable if I do it with a real group, because that was godawful.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The automated dungeon finder can be terrible, but at least it exists. After playing GW2 since the pre-release betas, I have yet to touch a single dungeon there, because I refuse to stand around spamming chat trying to find a group.

Simply having an automated process that I can fire up and forget about while I go questing is such a huge thing. It's got me trying all the Tera dungeons even though I've played it much less than my many hours of GW2.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

GaylordButts posted:

Seriously, the sunglasses are less than 2k. Buying things in the real dollars shop to sell in the AH seems like an awful idea since the gold prices are just so ridiculously low.

But are they not only temporary?

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
I'm pretty sure only permanent items can be traded/put on the brokerage.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Crown Face posted:

I'm pretty sure only permanent items can be traded/put on the brokerage.

Yup!

Lamhirh
Sep 8, 2012

Harik posted:

In hilariously inept news, I tried to PUG Ascent of Saravash last night, with... less than stellar results. Apparently nobody in the party could figure out that the gigantic red circle and flashing "FANGSPAWN IS EMITTING POISON!" meant "move out of the big AOE nuke". The priest kept dying and we ran out of res cooldowns for him - oh, except we wouldn't have, but dumbshit rezzed _ME_, the sorcerer, instead of the priest, wasting his 20 minute cooldown.

Eventually the tank said 'gently caress it' and soloed the guy while the rest of us corpses watched. Next boss two weren't as much of a problem, people comprehended "kill baby basilisks while tank handles daddy, then focus on mom to keep her away". Saravash himself obliterated us, and we gave up.

Oh and to add insult to injury one douchebag went AFK so we couldn't disband the party, and we had to eat the 30 minute instance debuff. Yay.

I really hope that isn't as miserable if I do it with a real group, because that was godawful.

Ascent of Saravash is brutally difficult at its intended level range. Same with Sigil Adstringo and Suryati's Peak. They were originally 58 dungeons in Korea, when that was the level cap, but were scaled down. They probably should have just been scaled up to 60, as they're pretty fun and challenging. But they're much, much more difficult than anything you'll face while leveling up. With no story tied to them, one quest each, and low droprate BoP loot, usually nobody bothers to do them. If you actually get a BoP you can use to drop, you can usually use it for a long time. The lance from Saravash is the best you can get prior to 60 I think.

Probably my favorite memory of Tera was in Ascent of Saravash. A friend and I did it with an IMS group at release. It kicked our asses, but the group kept a positive attitude, and like 3 hours later we managed to beat it. The five of us came out of it tighter than brothers, and we all basically ignored our guilds and only partied with each other for a while.

Wiping repeatedly to really hard things, progressing through difficult content, is one of the most fun things in MMOs, in my opinion. It's such a shame that so many people get so sour when they die and drag the whole party down.

Not directing that at you, of course, just recalling some of my own experiences recently with queen and ACHM. I can understand not wanting to be there if the group is terrible and has no will to improve, but there's no shame in dying to learn difficult things. Your gems are there to be broken!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Of the three, Suryati is probably the hardest because one of the bosses literally plays with your expectations and it can take forever if nobody looks it up. My personal favorite is Sigil Adstringo because that final boss is so satisfying to fight once you have the mechanics nailed down.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Lamhirh posted:

Ascent of Saravash is brutally difficult at its intended level range. Same with Sigil Adstringo and Suryati's Peak. They were originally 58 dungeons in Korea, when that was the level cap, but were scaled down. They probably should have just been scaled up to 60, as they're pretty fun and challenging. But they're much, much more difficult than anything you'll face while leveling up. With no story tied to them, one quest each, and low droprate BoP loot, usually nobody bothers to do them. If you actually get a BoP you can use to drop, you can usually use it for a long time. The lance from Saravash is the best you can get prior to 60 I think.

Yeah, despite grumbling, it was actually a fun dungeon. Something of a challenge (finally) instead of the complete cakewalk everything up to it has been. I guess I got lucky with Sigil Adstringo, I ran it twice with a good party each time and it wasn't too bad.

As DPS, what I do doesn't really matter. I try to stay out from underfoot and just keep making the red bar get smaller. That's why it sucks to get paired with bad tanks who have zero aggro skills - I spend a bunch of time running away instead of doing anything useful. Having silent (and worthless) party members doesn't help either. I definitely appreciate a mystic in party more than a priest though, crit aura + blue balls of DPS really shorten the amount of time a long slog takes. Especially since I can dump mana regen and convert to a full stack of +boss damage crystals.

Honestly though, I was just venting that people were that bad in their 50s. I know you can fail upward on a carebear server, but how do people this bad survive when their angry groups can KoS them?

Harik fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 19, 2013

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Harik posted:

Honestly though, I was just venting that people were that bad in their 50s. I know you can fail upward on a carebear server, but how do people this bad survive when their angry groups can KoS them?
Well instance matching drags people from different servers.

I had this terrible lancer from the RP server. You could guess the trainwreck by noting they had the crappiest aggro crystals.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Harik posted:

I remember that boss. I got hit once because I hadn't seen it before and didn't know how large the AoE was. After that, well I have 21m range focus heal. The poor DPS though, I think a sorc took a couple before wising up, but the melee DPS had some trouble, except the tank who could block.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
I'm really trying to get into this game, I have easily dumped a couple weeks into it. But I dunno, and I realize it is an MMO and this is generally the structure, but just nothing about it grabs me. Sure the combat is probably some of the best, but I just move to a new area, get a quest to kill x number of this specific type of monster, and turn it in. Or I get a quest to talk to someone else who then tells me to kill x amount. Plus combat is pretty much the exact same every time with a few exceptions. But once you learn what "type" of monster it is, you will just use teh same combo over and over again. I dunno, maybe I need to play with friends...

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Are you 20 yet? Get to 20 and fight some BAMs and do a dungeon. That's the real game.

E: and yes oh god play with goons or friends

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Harik posted:

50 was the original Korean launch cap and Golden Labirynth/Akasha's Hideout were the original endgame. While now you can outlevel these dungeons and do them pretty easily, golden labirynth has stuff that can oneshot you if you don't pay attention whitch is something leveling dungeons up to this point generally don't do. Also Akasha's Hideout HM will kick the rear end of any unfortunate soul trying to run it, unless the numbers were nerfed from last year. It was pretty much designed to be tackled by groups of competent 50's in +9 gear from normal mode so most pugs won't even break the health regen of the first boss. Ascent being balls out hard is another matter since even for an endgame dungeon the mechanics are pretty harsh.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

KaneTW posted:

Are you 20 yet? Get to 20 and fight some BAMs and do a dungeon. That's the real game.

E: and yes oh god play with goons or friends

The only thing is I am one of those kind of people who can enjoy anything if I play with friends. I like to play a game on my own for a while to see if I actually find merit in it. But I guess I'll wait till 20 then.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Are the dungeon quests going to continue to be side things that no one ever wants to do? Because I thought that sort of stupid quest stopped existing back before WoW's first expansion. No one ever wants to do side anything in dungeons. If doing the quests required your party to kill one extra monster and that's it, it would still never get done. Dungeon groups are always going to skip as much as possible, up to and including glitching and sneaking past things.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I've never seen groups not do quests if anyone needed those so that's weird.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 19, 2013

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

KaneTW posted:

I've never seen groups not do quests if anyone needed those so that's weird.
The easiest example is Necromancer Tomb, every time I ran it they all skipped the central optional rooms which have quests for the mobs inside them.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Hm, I've done that on all my now-60s and whenever I asked people ran the optional rooms. Perhaps I just have been lucky.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I only have 2 chars that have gone through it but I've done it prob 5 times on both. First time I did it on either char I asked and everyone was fine with it. I also asked if anyone had to the other times.

edit: What I'm sayin is just ask, for any dungeon. Everyone has to do the quests at some point.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 19, 2013

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

gibbed posted:

The easiest example is Necromancer Tomb, every time I ran it they all skipped the central optional rooms which have quests for the mobs inside them.

That was the one that prompted me to ask, yeah. I got to the end and realized that I had finished two quests, had a few more with 2/10 monsters killed, and some completely untouched. And the dungeon before that, which I've already forgotten the name of, has a quest in it where you talk to an NPC and it apparently starts some sort of wave of monsters event. (I only found this out by looking it up after the fact) By the time I found the NPC to talk to the rest of my group was a room away and receding fast.

And the answer to 'can we get these quests done?' was 'do it without me'. Unfortunately it was the tank saying that, sooooooo... (And I'm on a priest, ain't no way I'm soloing my way through any of it without someone tanking)

Overall it's just a dumb idea to make any quest in a dungeon require work outside of the main path. Dungeon groups are going to want to kill bosses for loot and nothing else. And I can't say I blame them, really, especially if they're chain running the dungeon hoping for something to drop. Of course, why one would do that in a mid-level dungeon, I have no idea.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

KaneTW posted:

Hm, I've done that on all my now-60s and whenever I asked people ran the optional rooms. Perhaps I just have been lucky.

I've leveled 2 characters to the high 50's now and I've also had no problems getting these types of quests finished. I've even seen people go out of their way to ask if anyone needed help finishing them. I've seen a couple people that were real assholes about it, but almost everyone is accommodating about dungeon quests.

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!
I've noticed people like to help each other get objectives done. Friendly MMO!

Locked Strongboxes are peaking at about 7g on my server (Lake of Tears) how is it for you guys?

Despite activating my founder-status before the free EMP, I never got free EMP. Must be only for pre-F2P founders.

edit; made a character on MT, first thing I see is founders in global replacing movie/tv show names with Elin. This has been going on for 15 minutes straight :thumbsup: (no offense MT, it happens everywhere). Lesson: always turn global off.

tearshed fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 19, 2013

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Basically even if the chat isn't talking about them, the next time you look at it the subject will be Elin, and the topic will be the worst.

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.
To the people I was running MCNM with yesterday on Desumetaru: really sorry I suddenly dropped, but my internet randomly went out and didn't come back on, and since it was already really late for me, I decided to just go to sleep. :(

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Due to this event just showering me in keys and the fact while leveling he was a magnet for lockboxes, my Castanic warrior now has his very own Kill BAM jumpsuit :allears: It cost me like 1100G but it was worth every penny, because he looks amazingly out of place and that's what this game is all about, right?

Though, I am only level 25. Maybe I should have saved that cash. OH WELL.

edit - oh god so i've just managed to get into a zone with no map and no anything at all and I don't know how to get out. To get in I jumped over a little wall that I probably shouldn't have been able to outside Sinistral Manor or whatever it's called teleportal, and then fell off a giant cliff (which looked hilarious). It's quite a pretty place but there's no map, no enemies or allies or flora or anything.

bonus underwater horse

Thievery fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 19, 2013

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

There is a "unstuck" button somewhere in the menu.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Demicol posted:

There is a "unstuck" button somewhere in the menu.

Can't use this enough. I'v never used a safe haven scroll.

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011
Little encouragement to those in MCNM now.

Cleared during nexus lag, (first time, no wipes):

Archer (second time in, Jax quest armour, +8 regent bow (no good bonuses.)
Lancer (t13 lance +9, non MW nexus gear up to +6 and +9)
2x Berzerkers, these were geared in nexus +12 weap and regent chestplate but one had no clears til today.
Mystic using the goddamn much maligned game controller and my advocacy for it is the reason I'm usually snubbed. Second time in on this char (my main is sorc.) All nexus gear, all possible heal bonuses bar one on gloves, +10 weap +8 robe +6 gloves and boots.

Very, very, very loving slow but great practice for all involved.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I made it into that empty zone as well at one time, probably the same way. Kind of a ledge path looping around outside the fence around SM. I think it's labeled Velika Wilds or something on the map. That non-water goes a long way out and you can ride your horse under it for quite a ways. Eventually you get to a map edge, if you jump off the map you fall for a while then sort of get stuck and stop, taking fall damage. It taught me that fall damage won't ever kill you in this game. You can keep mounting up and jumping further and further down. Presumably you eventually die or get ported out or crash the server or something. My dungeon finder popped so I never found out.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Retro Access posted:

Little encouragement to those in MCNM now.

Cleared during nexus lag, (first time, no wipes):

Archer (second time in, Jax quest armour, +8 regent bow (no good bonuses.)
Lancer (t13 lance +9, non MW nexus gear up to +6 and +9)
2x Berzerkers, these were geared in nexus +12 weap and regent chestplate but one had no clears til today.
Mystic using the goddamn much maligned game controller and my advocacy for it is the reason I'm usually snubbed. Second time in on this char (my main is sorc.) All nexus gear, all possible heal bonuses bar one on gloves, +10 weap +8 robe +6 gloves and boots.

Very, very, very loving slow but great practice for all involved.

Why are your party bars misaligned! Thats so distracting.

I did fraps our run in MCNM yesterday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGAiEIdE_S0

I was confused at the first boss I was told to run out of the aoe when I had a DoT on me but I guess I wasn't supposed to do that as people were dying.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yeah, I had that wrong the first time :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Lvl 51 and I probably should just be focusing on questing for XP but I want the enchantable heavy chest plate from Akashas so bad. It looks so utterly ridiculous on female Castanics that I find it hilarious. Oh well. I've enchanted my axe to +7 while I've been wasting my time there at least

• Locked thread