Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

After receiving an invite to Warner Archive Instant, I'm impressed. Again, not a lot of content yet, but enough to keep a film buff busy for a few weeks.

The streaming quality is great, except for HD being available only on Roku for now. Not even on a computer, which is odd. I'm hoping it's something that goes away after the beta.

One perk is that if you already have a Warner Archive or WB Shop account, you only need an invite code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Egbert Souse posted:

The streaming quality is great, except for HD being available only on Roku for now. Not even on a computer, which is odd. I'm hoping it's something that goes away after the beta.

Amazon does the same thing (no HD on PC) with its movies, but not its TV shows. It seems to be a licensing issue.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I don't think it's a licensing issue, it's more the movie industries paranoid outlook that if they offer HD on the PC, it's just makes it that much easier for people to rip an HD copy.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
So people were talking about that Lake Mungo film in this thread about a month back and I noticed it was expiring soon. I don't know why I didn't bother earlier, other than the fact that it looked like some weird Australian Paranormal Activity ripoff.

Boy, am I glad I caught this because it was one of the very few psychological thriller/horror films that managed to work on me. (Sidenote: I always find it interesting that I don't believe in ghosts and yet supernatural films always manage to freak me out.) In fact, I think it is one of the best I have seen because it contained so much substance. It was essentially haunting in two senses of the word: The first because it literally scared the poo poo out of me and has put me on edge for the past two hours. The second because it was so completely depressing. It was basically this family being so self-absorbed in their quest to find closure that ironically they miss every opportunity to do so. It was the saddest ghost story I've ever seen.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

quote:

Revenge of the Ninja, Pray for Death

Also add Rage of Honor to the 80's ninja movie list.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

kuddles posted:

So people were talking about that Lake Mungo film in this thread about a month back and I noticed it was expiring soon. I don't know why I didn't bother earlier, other than the fact that it looked like some weird Australian Paranormal Activity ripoff.

I enjoyed this one too. Watched it late at night and it was positively chilling. And deeply sad. Great use of "found footage" in a scary movie.

That sucks it is getting pulled, I would watch it again in the future.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

kuddles posted:

Boy, am I glad I caught this because it was one of the very few psychological thriller/horror films that managed to work on me. (Sidenote: I always find it interesting that I don't believe in ghosts and yet supernatural films always manage to freak me out.) In fact, I think it is one of the best I have seen because it contained so much substance. It was essentially haunting in two senses of the word: The first because it literally scared the poo poo out of me and has put me on edge for the past two hours. The second because it was so completely depressing. It was basically this family being so self-absorbed in their quest to find closure that ironically they miss every opportunity to do so. It was the saddest ghost story I've ever seen.

You summed it up perfectly. It made me the most melancholy I have been from seeing a film in a long, long time. I will pop up to insist that this film is wonderful every time it's mentioned.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Well, I don't mean to be all pedantic and stuff but we don't really know for sure that the time machine worked and they didn't just... set off a mini nuke thing that disintegrated them.

Just watched Safety Not Guaranteed last night, and I'm pretty sure that you're supposed to gather that they did in fact go back in time, since it stated he had already done so before. Which would also explain why his ex is still alive.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Lake Mungo has been on and off Instant Watch before, so depending on how its licensing deals work, it may not be gone forever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, it's been on and off at least twice.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
Peep Show's last two episodes finally popped up on Hulu.

The Booth At The End is a pretty good series on Hulu as well. The first season was a Hulu exclusive (but not an original series). The second season was commissioned by Hulu due to the success of season 1. Highly recommend it. Its mostly just people talking.

EDIT:: To expand on The Booth At The End its sort of like The Monkey's Paw, but not really. People's wishes go sort of wrong, but sometimes they go right. But it costs you things. etc.

Tennis Ball fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 18, 2013

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Finally watched The Queen of Versailles and really enjoyed it--if you haven't seen it put it on your list of documentaries to check out.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Canned Panda posted:

Also, I don't remember from going through this thread, but has anyone else watched Chasing the Kidneystone? It's Fantastic Voyage, only batshit insane. I never thought I would see a movie where a little boy stripped down to his underwear and washing himself with a spit gland, all while being inside his grandfather's mouth.

I didn't know this was on Netflix! We watched that on VHS in elementary school. I remember hating it. It actually made me physically ill that time, and looking up screencaps made that visceral feeling come back...

It's a perfect movie to scare little kids with though. Show them this and scar them for life.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, it's been on and off at least twice.

It's been a lock on Amazon Prime since I've had it which is where I go when I want to watch it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I own it on DVD cause I saw it at Walmart for 5 dollars.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I own it on DVD cause I saw it at Walmart for 5 dollars.

drat I would jump all over that. I do need to find a hard copy eventually though. Also Eraserhead.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Look for the After Dark X Movies To DIE For sidebar thing. Sometimes they release them individually and in sets, but despite the awful looking branding, they've released a lot of good stuff. From what I understand the Eraserhead Blu-Ray looks insane.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I tried watching A Boy and His Dog the other day, but I could barely get past the halfway point before turning it off. It's really, really rape-y. A guy tries to find a woman in a post-apocalyptic hellscape so he can have sex with her, finds one, tries to rape her, but since he wouldn't kill her immediately afterward he's one of the "good guys" and she falls in love with him. Maybe it gets better in the second half but the sluggish pacing and skeeviness of it all turned me away from it.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

SRM posted:

I tried watching A Boy and His Dog the other day, but I could barely get past the halfway point before turning it off. It's really, really rape-y. A guy tries to find a woman in a post-apocalyptic hellscape so he can have sex with her, finds one, tries to rape her, but since he wouldn't kill her immediately afterward he's one of the "good guys" and she falls in love with him. Maybe it gets better in the second half but the sluggish pacing and skeeviness of it all turned me away from it.

Once the entrance is found, this get pretty interesting.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Tennis Ball posted:

The Booth At The End is a pretty good series on Hulu as well.

Thanks for suggesting this. I signed up for the Hulu trial to give it a shot, and I'm completely wrapped up in this series.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Acrolos posted:

Thanks for suggesting this. I signed up for the Hulu trial to give it a shot, and I'm completely wrapped up in this series.

You don't need Hulu Plus to see it. Its on there for free too.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

SRM posted:

A criticism which has been leveled at the movie pretty much since it first came out. Harlan Ellison (the author of the short story it's based on) has written about the misogyny and that it wasn't his intent, but I can't seem to find his response now.

You should try to finish it though. The second half is pretty great, Jason Robards in particular turns in a great performance.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Look for the After Dark X Movies To DIE For sidebar thing. Sometimes they release them individually and in sets, but despite the awful looking branding, they've released a lot of good stuff. From what I understand the Eraserhead Blu-Ray looks insane.

Was that the name of that all night Horror Marathon they had in movies theaters several years ago? I wanted to go to one that was going to have a documentary and a screening of An American Werewolf In London but I got food poisoning.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Just because the guy is the protagonist doesn't make him a good guy, he spends the first half of the movie trying to find food for his telepathic dog so that the dog can find girls for him to rape. Also, just because the girl ends up liking him doesn't really side with him (or her), especially with the way the story ends up. Of course the argument there is that all of the characters in A Boy And His Dog are so thoroughly unpleasant that you can't really be blamed for not liking it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Just because the guy is the protagonist doesn't make him a good guy, he spends the first half of the movie trying to find food for his telepathic dog so that the dog can find girls for him to rape. Also, just because the girl ends up liking him doesn't really side with him (or her), especially with the way the story ends up. Of course the argument there is that all of the characters in A Boy And His Dog are so thoroughly unpleasant that you can't really be blamed for not liking it.
I don't have a problem with protagonists who are less than the good guy. It's just so rapey that I have a hard time staying interested in it. I've got like 45 minutes to go, based on the last few posts maybe I'll give it a third try and finish it up some time this week.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Tennis Ball posted:

You don't need Hulu Plus to see it. Its on there for free too.

Yeah, I figured that out later. I'll just plow through this in a week and then cancel the free trial.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 18, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SRM posted:

I don't have a problem with protagonists who are less than the good guy. It's just so rapey that I have a hard time staying interested in it. I've got like 45 minutes to go, based on the last few posts maybe I'll give it a third try and finish it up some time this week.

Yeah, it's rough stuff, I can't really blame you. The stuff in Topeka is really creepy and off-kilter.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SRM posted:

I would very much like to hear your thoughts about the rest of the movie. In some ways, the movie changes radically once Don Johnson gets to Topeka, though I don't know that he's ever completely redeemed from what he did in the first half of the movie.

If anything, I think the dog is the one we're supposed to root for. He's the only one who remembers life before the apocalypse and he's doing his best to teach this amoral kid something about how decent people are supposed to behave, but he can't do it very well because he's a dog and he needs the kid to keep him alive.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
V/H/S seems to be up for watching. It never appeared in the Newest Releases section for me though. I wonder what other recent movies were added that I never noticed...

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

V/H/S seems to be up for watching. It never appeared in the Newest Releases section for me though. I wonder what other recent movies were added that I never noticed...

You can always check http://instantwatcher.com/ to see new additions.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

For fans of martial arts cinema, check out Shaolin Grandma.

trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX4SNU2NFn8

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist
So I just watched The Lorax with my daughter last night and I have to wonder; did anyone involved in that movie ever read a Dr. Seuss book in their life let alone The Lorax? Seriously, what in the cockadoodly gently caress was that?

There was maybe one passage from the book in the whole film and it was loving PARAPHRASED. I don't mind the extra stuff they added to flesh out the story into a movie, but the way the core narrative was handled was unforgivable. It sort of looked like a Dr. Suess story, but where was the Seussian dialog? Seriously, how do you gently caress this up that badly? The goddamned script is practically already written and storyboarded for you for shits sake. PICK UP THE loving BOOK AND LOOK! AT! IT! If you are too stupid to read watch the Chuck Jones cartoon.

I could only imagine the boardroom full of suits that poo poo out that script...
"Why does everyone rhyme when they talk? They shouldn't do that. They sound like rappers"
"Why can't we see the Once-ler's face? We should be able to see his face"
"Who's the bad guy in the story? We need a villan. Like an evil CEO or something everyone hates. We can't point the finger of blame at the audience"
"Oh, and we need more outdated pop-culture references like um... a disco gag!"
"What the hell is grickle-grass?" "Is that like marijuana?" "We need to cut that."

gently caress me dead.

In other words, you can avoid The Lorax.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I've been pretty much ignoring all the Dr Suess movie adaptations. Hopefully Christopher Nolan's take on "Yertle the Turtle" will stay faithful to the source! ;)

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I didn't really have a problem with the Lorax at all, but I also watched it with my niece who basically loved the entire thing and her cheeriness probably helped my opinion greatly.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

pookerbug posted:

So I just watched The Lorax with my daughter last night and I have to wonder; did anyone involved in that movie ever read a Dr. Seuss book in their life let alone The Lorax? Seriously, what in the cockadoodly gently caress was that?

There was maybe one passage from the book in the whole film and it was loving PARAPHRASED. I don't mind the extra stuff they added to flesh out the story into a movie, but the way the core narrative was handled was unforgivable. It sort of looked like a Dr. Suess story, but where was the Seussian dialog? Seriously, how do you gently caress this up that badly? The goddamned script is practically already written and storyboarded for you for shits sake. PICK UP THE loving BOOK AND LOOK! AT! IT! If you are too stupid to read watch the Chuck Jones cartoon.

I could only imagine the boardroom full of suits that poo poo out that script...
"Why does everyone rhyme when they talk? They shouldn't do that. They sound like rappers"
"Why can't we see the Once-ler's face? We should be able to see his face"
"Who's the bad guy in the story? We need a villan. Like an evil CEO or something everyone hates. We can't point the finger of blame at the audience"
"Oh, and we need more outdated pop-culture references like um... a disco gag!"
"What the hell is grickle-grass?" "Is that like marijuana?" "We need to cut that."

gently caress me dead.

In other words, you can avoid The Lorax.

You probably should have seen this coming when they used commercial tie-ins to that movie to promote SUVs.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Junkie Disease posted:

Watching it sure backed up my fears that this was a movie made in 4 days as some sort of scam. I wish I knew how this scam works.
Natural Lighting most the time, imovie title sequence, credits, and the cheapest special effects I have ever seen. No love went into any aspect of this film. Its not even funny bad its just boring as hell. Whats frighting is there seems to be a whole bunch of these added of the past month to netflix.
Jesus look at the director David DeCoteau's page
http://movies.netflix.com/WiRoleDisplay?personid=20000211&locale=en-US

I can't stop laughing at these movies.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SRM posted:

Don't worry, the whole movie is just a big leadup to the dumbest punchline for the dumbest joke in movie history as the last line. It's like something a baby would write.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Don't worry, the whole movie is just a big leadup to the dumbest punchline for the dumbest joke in movie history as the last line. It's like something a baby would write.

A baby that hates women.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Somebody asked about B movies earlier, I've gotta recommend Hardware if you like post-apocalyptic movies. Some of the practical effects are a little wonky, but the soundtrack is great (particularly the Public Image Limited song), it's got great visual style, and an absolutely creepy villain (not the robot). Lots of neat cameos and character actors as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

cf posted:

Somebody asked about B movies earlier, I've gotta recommend Hardware if you like post-apocalyptic movies. Some of the practical effects are a little wonky, but the soundtrack is great (particularly the Public Image Limited song), it's got great visual style, and an absolutely creepy villain (not the robot). Lots of neat cameos and character actors as well.

Yeah this movie rules. Can anybody recommend any other 80'/90's movies set in the future, good or bad?

Anyway Takashi Miike's Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai and The Imposter, a documentary about a man claiming to be a family's missing 13 year old son several years later, are now up. I haven't gotten a chance to see either one yet, but both are supposed to be really good.

• Locked thread