Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

flyboi posted:

I felt bad about breaking the seal on metroid until curiously, no VOID VOID VOID showed up. That should happen! Then I popped it into my fds and sure as poo poo, there's a save

Oh well, at least I don't feel like an rear end in a top hat now.

Still love the Japanese save selection screens of old.

:black101:KILL MODE:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

flyboi posted:

I felt bad about breaking the seal on metroid until curiously, no VOID VOID VOID showed up. That should happen! Then I popped it into my fds and sure as poo poo, there's a save

Also, I enjoyed this today retro goons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBaUNqlJBQ4

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

redmercer posted:

What exactly are the two in the lower right? I tried finding the gray and gold one and Rakuten's charming auto-English translator called it "A Taxing Woman".

(Incidentally, you can find the damnndest things on Rakuten. Official Studio Ghibili Zippo with the cat from Kiki's Delivery Service? Check. Amazingly large selection of crack pipes? Check! Mentholated condoms? Check!)

Some people answered this already, but yeah, according to the receipt the Capcom one is Marusa No Onna (A Taxing Woman), and the pink one is Parallel Worlds.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

flyboi posted:

Well she's together, ugly as gently caress but I don't care. I don't have plastic working tools and I don't intend on ever selling this thing as it's just a convenience adapter for myself.

My favorite plastic working tools would include various types of pliers, an old soldering iron, a dremmel, elbow grease and of course a hot glue gun.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Still love the Japanese save selection screens of old.

:black101:KILL MODE:black101:

Hell yes, the style instantly reminded me of the game selection screen from arguably my favorite RPG of all time Ultima: Exodus.

Speaking of that ballin rear end game, I never thought to look up the Famicom version cover art until I was doing a random GIS just now. I don't think I've ever seen such an accurate anime conversion to darker Thundercats style animation done before. I never even noticed the guy in green before (I'd guess Thief because of the gloves) because he blends in on the NES version where on Famicom he's sharp as a tack.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Chainclaw posted:

the Capcom one is Marusa No Onna (A Taxing Woman).

:stare:

What...who...why would Capcom make a game around this movie? How could they even do it compellingly? I mean, it's not a bad movie, but it is an odd plot choice to develop a game around. It's like, I dunno, if some American company decided to make a NES game based around the movie "Wall Street"; how many kids would have seen or cared about that movie to want to play a game based on it?

I will say that the cart art, which is based on the movie's poster or whatnot, has a lot of character, though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

roffels posted:

The Burgertime port was kind of decent. Any of the other 50 odd games I had? Not really.

The Atari 8-bit computer line and the Colecovision are pretty fun to play still if you're into classic arcade titles from that era, but I don't care so much for the 2600 or Intellivision.

Every Coleco I've owned has broken. Something's not right with those fuckers.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Kthulhu5000 posted:

What...who...why would Capcom make a game around this movie? How could they even do it compellingly? I mean, it's not a bad movie, but it is an odd plot choice to develop a game around. It's like, I dunno, if some American company decided to make a NES game based around the movie "Wall Street";

Not to mention

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

flyboi posted:

So I was really loving tired of juggling my consoles around and the fact that my tv stand really was too small and made the tv top-heavy and tip over when you rotated it to swap cables around. Ended up going to Best Buy and got a new stand for the tv and am pretty happy with it. Have a s-video switch on the way for my genny, sfc and soon to arrive duo-r. My AV cables for the Duo are too short so I didn't bother connecting it since it will be replaced soon anyways. I'll likely put the duo-r up top and the genesis down below so I can keep my white/black systems consistent

I also got a NES pad and a Zapper today to work on making my NES port adapter for the famicom but don't feel like doing poo poo tonight after all that work. I'll likely start on that tomorrow.

Edit: Oh yeah, DC is hooked up via vga into the tv since it's a 480p 4:3 tv :smug:

They still sell TV new stands that can hold CRTs? I'm kind of surprised. I saw some like that before, but I assumed the glass tops meant there was no way they could handle the hefty weight of something like the Trinitron I just got.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

StellarX posted:

Are Intellivision games not that fun to go back and play? I know I traded my 2600 for a Gamecube just so I could have something I'd enjoy to play and wouldn't just sit on the shelf. I figured it was just a lack of nostalgia for the system though as I never played one as a kid and could not get into the games.

Intellivision games are decades old and they are quite simplistic compaired todays games. A few are timeless, but many are forgetable. One problem is that the controller has never been properly emulated. I'm sure anyone who grew up with this system like I have would tell you how the games worked well with the controller.

Here is my list of awesome games(If I left any off it's because I never played them):

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons - Treasure of Tarmin (My copy actually died, so if someone wants to sell me a copy that would be awesome)
Armor Battle
Astrosmash
B-17 Bomber
Beauty and the Beast
Bump N Jump
Burgertime
Commando
Dreadnaught Factor
Hover Force
Microsurgeon
Mission X
Night Stalker
Sea Battle
Star Wars - ESB
Sub Hunt
Tron Deadly Discs
Tron Solar Sailer
Utopia
World Series Baseball

Out of that list though: Treasure of Tarmin, Tron Deadly Discs, and Dreadnaught Factor are ones I could fire up and have a blast with today. gently caress the haters.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

redmercer posted:

Not to mention

Well, sure. But I would submit that there's a difference between doing an original video game take on a generic genre or theme, and trying to squeeze a decent video game out of source material that has plot constraints, points, and player expectations thereof to be factored into its development. You can do a game about a guy trying to rescue his girlfriend from murderous robots, and do it however you want to varying degrees of success.

But if your game has "Terminator" in the title, has the Terminator logo, and has Arnold Schwarzenegger as some variant thereof on the cover...well, you're gonna have to deliver a game that tries to balance being faithful to the source material with being fun and within the capabilities of your developers and target platform (and look at how problematic licensed games often are, especially the old ones, to see the end result of that balancing act).

I suppose "Wall Street" was a poor example to use; it's not out of bounds that some kids might find the reward feedback of kicking rear end on the market as a virtual Wall Street mogul interesting and enjoyable, if the concept is presented in an interesting, appealing, and accessible manner. But the plot of Marusa no Onna is about the cat-and-mouse relationship between a female tax evasion investigator for the Japanese revenue service, and a businessman who makes it his life's mission to evade taxes. It's hardly something that most kids can be convinced to care about or find interesting, I suspect. Of course, it could be a game targeted at adults; but then that raises the questions of how many 1987-era Japanese adults were avid Famicom players, who also watched Marusa no Onna, and who, in addition, liked the movie well enough to decide and get the Famicom game.

Not that there's anything wrong with the situation, mind you. I guess I just find it fascinating for the fact that Capcom (or someone) felt there was enough of a potential market to greenlight the development and production run of the game, despite logical indicators otherwise.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

flyboi posted:

Oh well, at least I don't feel like an rear end in a top hat now.

Heh, the save is named "A". Classic. As for no VOID VOID VOID, Japanese used games can be ridiculously high quality, I got a Pocket Monster Red that came in a clear plastic bag and looked loving mint, including all the paper work, the box and everything. Had I not known it was used, I would have taken it for a brand new game (and that poo poo is 15 years old).

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
My favorite save file is for my copy of Nazo no Murasame Jō (the one at the top, not the 2nd one, thats me :v:):

Well, you tried, japanese kid!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Of course, it could be a game targeted at adults; but then that raises the questions of how many 1987-era Japanese adults were avid Famicom players, who also watched Marusa no Onna, and who, in addition, liked the movie well enough to decide and get the Famicom game.

There were a bunch of Famicom games aimed toward adults. There were also stock exchange sims like The Money Game and Tohru Matsumoto's Guide to Stock Victory (or something), and they both had sequels. There must have been a large market for older gamers. A Taxing Woman is one of many command-based adventure games with a lot of adult themes.

But all that asides, it is an odd choice for a licensed game. The film's director had a hand in its making, too.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 19, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ghostinmyshell posted:

Intellivision games are decades old and they are quite simplistic compaired todays games. A few are timeless, but many are forgetable. One problem is that the controller has never been properly emulated. I'm sure anyone who grew up with this system like I have would tell you how the games worked well with the controller.

Here is my list of awesome games(If I left any off it's because I never played them):

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons - Treasure of Tarmin (My copy actually died, so if someone wants to sell me a copy that would be awesome)
Armor Battle
Astrosmash
B-17 Bomber
Beauty and the Beast
Bump N Jump
Burgertime
Commando
Dreadnaught Factor
Hover Force
Microsurgeon
Mission X
Night Stalker
Sea Battle
Star Wars - ESB
Sub Hunt
Tron Deadly Discs
Tron Solar Sailer
Utopia
World Series Baseball

Out of that list though: Treasure of Tarmin, Tron Deadly Discs, and Dreadnaught Factor are ones I could fire up and have a blast with today. gently caress the haters.

In addition to some of these games listed, I'll also throw in a couple extra recommendations:

Space Spartans - Half of the game is a first-person space dogfighting game, and the other half takes place on a grid map. Before you start, you can place bases on the map, which are used for repairing your spaceship. Then you spend the game observing the map for any alien activity and race around engaging them, which puts you in said first-person combat. Your ship has several systems, which use energy, and you spend quite a bit of time finding a good balance. Each of the buttons corresponds to a different system. Taking damage wears down on your systems, ranging from disabling shields to thrusters and more. Eventually, you'll get outnumbered, your bases will fall, and you'll be stuck in an unwinnable 10-to-1 fight where you can't even steer because your flight controls were disabled. It also uses the voice add-on. It rules.

Lock 'n' Chase is the arcade game of the same name, if any of you played it. It's a maze game kind of like Pac-Man. If you like maze games then go for it. (I love maze games)

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Cannot Find Server posted:

You've clearly never played Tank Pong in Combat.
Invisible Tank Pong. The balls on Atari to have the pack-in game be two-player only.

Great games for the Atari 2600:

Multiplayer: Combat, Warlords, Outlaws, Boxing, Air Sea Battle
Paddle Games: Night Driver, Demons to Diamonds, Circus Atari, Super Breakout
Action Games: Battlezone, Defender, Berzerk, Pitfall, Yar's Revenge, Wizard of Wor, Mountain King, most of the good Intellivision got Atari ports, Vanguard.
The entire loving Imagic library: Really. They batted 1000.

The Atari 7800 probably gets the most use from me out of any other retro console, mainly because so much of it can't be reproduced on any other platform. I have Mario on every device I own, but what the hell can I use the paddle controllers with? Where's the mysterious difficulty switch? Some people don't like the joystick that comes with either Atari, but it will take a lot of different controllers and some of the 3rd party sticks are pretty nice.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Install Gentoo posted:

Every Coleco I've owned has broken. Something's not right with those fuckers.

Interesting. I took mine out of storage and couldn't get it going either. Meanwhile, the Intellivision and the 2600 systems I had worked just fine.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

zari-gani posted:

There were a bunch of Famicom games aimed toward adults. There were also stock exchange sims like The Money Game and Tohru Matsumoto's Guide to Stock Victory (or something), and they both had sequels. There must have been a large market for older gamers. A Taxing Woman is one of many command-based adventure games with a lot of adult themes.

But all that asides, it is an odd choice for a licensed game. The film's director had a hand in its making, too.

The movie, as I recall, features a brief (but prominent) bit of Super Mario Bros. gameplay footage. Makes me wonder if Juzo Itami was some kind of Famicom enthusiast, or if there was something between him and Nintendo, in regards to the movie's production, that then segued into the game being made. It's funny that, regardless, Capcom did their best to faithfully recreate the movie's jazzy background soundtrack - even if the end result is sort of ear-murdering.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Space Spartan is awesome as it's like a more advanced Star Raiders. And Star Raiders is probably in my top 5 favorite classic Atari games.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

When I finally got around to opening and cleaning the bootleg GB games fatpat268 kindly sent me, I noticed something interesting about them. Namely, the fact that all of them had tabs to slide in the batteries, like normal GB games. I was kind of surprised they weren't just soldered in, given I figured the hallmark of bootlegs was supposed to be the :effort: in their construction.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kthulhu5000 posted:

What...who...why would Capcom make a game around this movie? How could they even do it compellingly? I mean, it's not a bad movie, but it is an odd plot choice to develop a game around. It's like, I dunno, if some American company decided to make a NES game based around the movie "Wall Street"; how many kids would have seen or cared about that movie to want to play a game based on it?

zari-gani posted:

It was the bubble era so economic games make a certain kind of sense. And as you noted, adventure games for any system have often targeted adults.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sometimes Japan gets really curious licensed titles that make no sense culturally or have little significance on release. I recall seeing an SNES version of an 80s Avalon Hill wargame (Ambush! I think) and I thought to myself who would be the market for this turn-based, WWII board game that was never released in Japan and came out 15 years prior?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Midnight Raider posted:

They still sell TV new stands that can hold CRTs? I'm kind of surprised. I saw some like that before, but I assumed the glass tops meant there was no way they could handle the hefty weight of something like the Trinitron I just got.

The stand I bought is rated for 300lbs so yeah, it should be able to hold most big tvs.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Init%26%23153%3B+-+TV+Stand+for+Most+Flat-Panel+TVs+Up+to+50%22/3088183.p?id=1218377796327&skuId=3088183

Also HKR I just checked my twin famicom cartridge connector and +5V pins are +5.01V so that would likely be why yours is not able to load any games.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 19, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Katana Gomai posted:

Heh, the save is named "A". Classic. As for no VOID VOID VOID, Japanese used games can be ridiculously high quality, I got a Pocket Monster Red that came in a clear plastic bag and looked loving mint, including all the paper work, the box and everything. Had I not known it was used, I would have taken it for a brand new game (and that poo poo is 15 years old).

And for anyone that doesn't know, Japan does not seal their games. At least regular Famicom boxes, Super Famicom boxes, GameBoy game boxes, and N64 boxes were never shrinkwrapped.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Ineffiable posted:

And for anyone that doesn't know, Japan does not seal their games. At least regular Famicom boxes, Super Famicom boxes, GameBoy game boxes, and N64 boxes were never shrinkwrapped.

No, the FDS games are sealed with a sticker that have the logo from the FDS and when you remove them they're supposed to make a VOID mark across the box like this:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

^^^Maybe FDS games but none of my Famicom games have this. They probably did it for FDS for piracy reasons.

Ineffiable posted:

Wh-what?! But how am I supposed to know my super hot title is mint and fresh never removed from box????

I seriously do wonder what this hobby's after market would be like, and most collectible hobbies in general, if we didn't "factory seal" everything.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

al-azad posted:

I seriously do wonder what this hobby's after market would be like, and most collectible hobbies in general, if we didn't "factory seal" everything.

A lot less :spergin:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

One thing I found interesting in Japan is that whenever you bought a console, the sellers would open the box, turn to the last page of the manual and use an ink stamp with the store's name/address and the current date for warranty purposes. So unless you steal a console from a store, there's no such thing as an "unopened" console, and this goes back at least to the original Famicom.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

One thing I found interesting in Japan is that whenever you bought a console, the sellers would open the box, turn to the last page of the manual and use an ink stamp with the store's name/address and the current date for warranty purposes. So unless you steal a console from a store, there's no such thing as an "unopened" console, and this goes back at least to the original Famicom.

Lol, I checked the back page on my SFC and it was stamped even though it was sold in 2008 :downs:

One thing I was curious about with the SFC ac adapter does it need a stepdown converter in the US?

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Say, I found a cable at the local hardware store, a 3.5mm stereo to R/L RCA cable in order to connect the headphone jack from my Genesis to my television, in the name of getting some sweet, sweet stereo sound. The only problem is.. I just now realize I'm not entirely sure how to tell the difference between stereo and mono, so I'm not even sure if this cord works. What are some Genesis titles that have an easy way to determine if your stereo sound is actually working?

Edit: VVV I should probably have elaborated on it being a model 1 Genesis, where the composite cables don't actually output in stereo, so using one of those will just let you have double mono if you have one of those dumb TVs that will only play out of one speaker if you have one cable. What I meant I got was a cable to connect the headphone jack output, which is apparently the only way to get stereo out of a Genesis without modding.

Midnight Raider fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 19, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Midnight Raider posted:

Say, I found a cable at the local hardware store, a 3.5mm stereo to R/L RCA cable in order to connect the headphone jack from my Genesis to my television, in the name of getting some sweet, sweet stereo sound. The only problem is.. I just now realize I'm not entirely sure how to tell the difference between stereo and mono, so I'm not even sure if this cord works. What are some Genesis titles that have an easy way to determine if your stereo sound is actually working?

Just get this thing from rat shack
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103709

Color coded, can't gently caress it up. I've had one for years since I used to use it for my computer to output to a receiver and seem to find random uses for it down the road.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

flyboi posted:

Just get this thing from rat shack
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103709

Color coded, can't gently caress it up. I've had one for years since I used to use it for my computer to output to a receiver and seem to find random uses for it down the road.

It would still be nice to hear some examples, if people have them. I know on 360 I was doing some audio stuff and would always test with some Rock Band songs I knew to have hard left and right parts.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

zenintrude posted:

A lot less :spergin:

No more VGA. It would be a nice dream.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Hooray my duo-r came! God drat this is sexy in s-video. Had to play with the color on my tv a bit but it turns out that was pretty good for calibrating as I never noticed how horribly off my color was :stare:

Now SNES/GEN look even better as well.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
What's it like being filthy rich

univbee posted:

Huh, after some digging, I found out the problem with my XRGB3, turns out my AC Adapter is hosed and that they're prone to that. I'm glad this makes the fix relatively simple, although the AC Adapter in question is a weird one, outputting 11V and 2A. Apparently the only way to really obtain something reliable is to buy something with the right electrical output and then solder a replacement cable back in. Still cheaper than dealing with sending the whole shebang back to Japan, at least. There's a Panasonic camera with the right outputs and easily-found AC adapters, hopefully one of those will work.

If you get the replacement one let me know if it works; I'll add it to the OP. Just for reference I am using the Japanese one it came with plugged into a step-down transformer and have yet to have a problem (cue Robolizard! calling me a sperg...actually, where the hell as he been?)

redmercer posted:

Not to mention

You can't speak of Wall Street fat cat games without this gem:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

If you get the replacement one let me know if it works; I'll add it to the OP. Just for reference I am using the Japanese one it came with plugged into a step-down transformer and have yet to have a problem (cue Robolizard! calling me a sperg...actually, where the hell as he been?)

This may take a slightly different direction. One of the owners of the company where I work is an enormous :spergin: for electrical engineering stuff (he has tons of high-end tools and his own 3D printer); tomorrow we're going to run some tests with a universal adapter he has, and we may end up replacing the blown caps inside it. I'll post a trip report when it's all done.

For the record, here's a youtube of someone else who had the exact same problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s_yi5i3d9Q
He later posted a follow-up video showing his AC adapter insides: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMLyu1YvhVg

Here's a pic of my blown caps (the two in the top right with the dark green housing):

This seems to be specific to a batch of XRGB-3's where the capacitors inside were made in Taiwan.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Midnight Raider posted:

When I finally got around to opening and cleaning the bootleg GB games fatpat268 kindly sent me, I noticed something interesting about them. Namely, the fact that all of them had tabs to slide in the batteries, like normal GB games. I was kind of surprised they weren't just soldered in, given I figured the hallmark of bootlegs was supposed to be the :effort: in their construction.

For real? drat, I never even opened them to look.

I wonder if I can get my hands on those tabs to make changing the batteries of pokemon games easier...

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Kthulhu5000 posted:

holy gently caress that's a lot of words

Japan was selling the Famicom to adults in Japan long before they tried selling games to American adults. I couldn't see too many kids getting all excited about Oishinbo

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Anyone have a spare Super Mario All-Stars + World they wouldn't mind getting rid of?

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Djarum posted:

Anyone have a spare Super Mario All-Stars + World they wouldn't mind getting rid of?

If this is for the Mario Marathon, great minds think alike, I was thinking about asking around here for a copy of Super Mario Land 1, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I have a copy of Super Mario All-Stars and a copy of Super Mario World that I don't need any more... not sure if this needs to be the rarer combined cart, though.

• Locked thread