Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Eh. I'm more interested in the motive than the actual killer at this point. This whole thing just seems a random "The story is kinda a meandering boring drag so far. gently caress it! Kill someone!" I'm hoping it's something interesting and/or clever. This game has been a snooze so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I am pretty sure the goggles don't need to have belonged to Togami.

They were available in the supermarket, so any 16 students could have taken them.
Nagito was only fixing up the one hall and would have been fairly easy to avoid (He also may have done it).
There are, as stated busted floorboards, so hiding the goggles shouldn't have been too difficult.

If Kuzuryuu was in the bathroom, he could have rigged the lights, or any other character could have rigged the lights before Pekoyama was sent to guard them. Right now the only 3 people I think we can say are not possible suspects of being the murderer are Hinata (Protagonist) Nanami (Has a narrative alibi in Monomi*) and Togami (Who is dead).

Any non- Hinata student could be the owner of the goggles. Any of the 13 remaining students could be the murderer.Speculation time comes before trials, not before investigations :rolleyes:

* Unless there is a conspiracy with Nanami in Sakura's position of DR1, this is effectively rock solid.

Sandata
Mar 19, 2010
Togami? RIP, only remaining character. Good luck be drat. Hes a fake! I think.

So let's see here.

We have a knife with no handle on it. Or the handle is VERY small.
Something sticking to the bottom of the table. Likely holding said knife.
Night vision goggles that look like they were added though photoshop. Seriously I thought that fall shown more and orenronen kindly censored it. Thank you Japan for covering it up. I'm gonna say that it might have just been Togami that brought those with him.

We can push the blame onto the fallowing people.

Nagito Komaeda = For setting up for the party to start with. Able to hide the knife and be ready with other things.
Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu = He is currently AWOL. Able to come up with such a plot.
Peko Pekoyama = Currently AWOL. Likely someone to push the blame towards.

I'm also gonna label.

Chiaki Nanami = I'm gonna label you as the 16 spy. For right now. Understand the joke of being a pro gamer, in a game and trying to trick us gamers.

However, with all this in mind. We have no backwards word to help us solve this. Thank you for getting harder game!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

evilspacehopper posted:

Maybe it's not important but the blood seems to have splattered a bit, right? And it seems like from the lack of blood trail leading to the table that he was stabbed there. I could be wrong but in that small space it'd be hard to stop blood from going all over your clothes. So whoever killed Togami would probably be covered in blood. They could have changed their clothes but there'd be nowhere to hide them for long, they couldn't have left the lodge or destroyed the clothes so a search would uncover them, right?

Though maybe there is somewhere to hide the clothes well, like under the floor. Oh wait, what if they got blood on their skin too? They'd have to wash it off in the toilets or the kitchen. And maybe they could have destroyed the clothes in the kitchen with the oven too. Although why is the toilet locked? It means that if the murderer didn't lock it then the kitchen would be the place to go. Or maybe the murderer did lock it but also locked someone in there to throw suspicion that person and then used the kitchen for washing hands and burning clothes. Wasn't Hanamaru in there though? Oh I don't know where I'm going with this.

We need more clues.

The fact that all of the blood n' stuff is isolated to underneath the table kind of supports the whole "skewered from below" theory. It doesn't explain how blood got on the knife, although it could easily have just spilled onto it like everything else.

Looking through the thread, it seems Nagito's actually got a lot going against him here. As has been said, he's had plenty of time to learn the layout of the cabin. Hell, there could be a way into the crawlspace IN THE ROOM if he covered it with the carpet. Any way I look at it though, I still feel like Togami had intended to kill somebody. It's been suggested that Nagito and Togami were in cahoots, and that would certainly explain how Nagito would plant the knife and Togami would attempt to use it. And then Nagito could slip into the crawlspace during the blackout and do the deed.

And unless Nagito was using the goggles, he'd be crawling around in pitch black. Perhaps he slipped under with the goggles, killed Togami, popped back up, and planted the goggles next to Togami's corpse, making it look like Togami was planning to go on a pitch black stabbing spree. No idea where Nagito would've pulled the goggles from, though I suspect they were in Togami's "special box".

I also hadn't realized how suspicious Souda was, considering he allegedly went to check on the fuse box during the whole fiasco. How he would pull everything off is beyond me.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
One thing that struck me as odd regarding Togami's behaviour: he's clearly worried about something happening to somebody (suggested by his "if it's only him missing then it's not a problem, since everyone else is here" comment regarding Kuzuryuu's absence), and yet he has no qualms about splitting the party. He allowed Pekoyama to stand guard to the case, alone. He allowed Chiaki to go speak with Monomi, alone. Both of these could have easily been avoided, for example having the case in plain sight in the party hall so no one could get to it without the others seeing them or by bringing Monomi to the party.
I just don't get what he was hoping to obtain that way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In the first game, everything took place in a sealed environment. There were limited opportunities to get rid of evidence and few weapons. That isn't the normally the case on the island, because anyone can dispose of evidence via the ground or sea.

However, Togami took great pains toward setting up a situation similar to the first game. Whether that was intentional or simply in order to make the tutorial case simple isn't clear.

So, let's see what the evidence list is so far.

-Locked bathroom.
-Peko is missing.
-The two cases.
-The NVG's.
-The skewer.
-The knife.
-The tape?
-The lights.
-The storage room (not relevant yet, but I'm sure it will be).

Some things that may or may not count as evidence include the state of the floor, the carpet, and the windows.

Am I missing anything?

The only two people who seem to be completely clear are Chiaki and Hinata. Hinata because he is the main character, and Chiaki because she was with Monomi the whole time. However, the people other than Chiaki who weren't present in the ballroom at the time of the blackout are definitely more suspicious. It is also possible that Chiaki's alibi will fall through somehow, but that seems unlikely as she is the one who has established that no one left the building. That's pretty much the basis for the entire investigation.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Aww, Togami.

Well, this certainly seems pretty drat premeditated - whether it went just as planned is another question.

- Beeps before the lights went off. Sounds like a timer rather than manual switch-flipping.
- The only person who could really have anticipated that there would be someone in the office - or that someone would be elsewhere in the first place - was Togami who decreed that the case should be guarded. He's the one who ultimately suggested the office, although Nagito did lead the conversation to it.
- Regarding the toilet, "since the party started" sounds to me like the moment people started eating, not since everyone got into the lodge. Peko was already long gone at that point. A secret toilet entrance and skewer-stabbing from under the floorboards sound like a fun solution, but that would take some serious planning that I'm guessing Peko (or anyone but Teruteru and Nagito, really, unless they were sneaking around when neither noticed) couldn't have done. Speaking of which, why would the goggles be on the floor if the killer never otherwise touched Togami?
- The knife wasn't hidden under the table by Togami, he had a duralumin case nobody ever saw inside of. Going by the splatters, there's no way he was killed anywhere but under the table.

Ehhh. I'm not sure why but I'm getting "two separate murderers, at least one succesful" vibes here. At the very least Togami was up to something either sinister or benevolent.

edit: those loving goggles, why isn't he wearing them

tiistai fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 21, 2013

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Serious Frolicking posted:

So, let's see what the evidence list is so far.

-Locked bathroom.
-Peko is missing.
-The two cases.
-The NVG's.
-The skewer.
-The knife.
-The tape?
-The lights.
-The storage room (not relevant yet, but I'm sure it will be).

Some things that may or may not count as evidence include the state of the floor, the carpet, and the windows.

Am I missing anything?

There was Gundam's earring as well, someone mentioned even his sprite had been changed. I don't know how relevant that actually is though.

Zhauth
Sep 4, 2012
Sayonara, Togami. I would say "we hardly knew ya", but, uh, we kinda already had a whole game with him already.

I'm guessing that Peko is knocked out in the bathroom. She was guarding the breakers and weapons in the office, which is right next to the bathroom. There could be a passage between the bathroom and the office, or at least broken floorboards. As you can see from the shots of the lodge outside, there's plenty of space beneath the lodge to move around. Nidai did say that the bathroom was locked since the beginning, and the bathroom was the one room we didn't check: Hajime said "I don't need to go right now" and walked past it. The bathroom could have been locked not just since the party started, but even before the party. I'm not going to automatically suspect Nagito, since it could be that he was too busy cleaning the main hall to notice people doing other things in the lodge. The suspect probably snuck up on Peko and knocked her out, then placed her in the bathroom. If she was simply tied up, she could still make noises to try and get Nidai's attention.

The night vision goggles are probably Togami's, hidden in his case that he kept with him.

As has been said, the knife was taped to the bottom of the table. I'm guessing that Nagito hid it there in case if they needed to defend against a killer. As Slowbeef mentioned, the tape is green, so it wouldn't exactly stand out in night vision, and as someone else said, it's probably glow in the dark. I don't think Togami hid it there, because wouldn't it be simpler for him to hide it in his case? Nagito could have told Togami about the knife, though.
However, there is a chance that the knife was hidden there as a murder weapon. Togami could have followed the killer under the table after seeing him with the night vision goggles, then the killer could have cut him with the knife. I doubt this, however, because of one thing:

The murder weapon is probably the missing skewer. The skewer could easily be hidden under the floorboards, and it could easily be used to stab someone through a hole in the floorboards. Additionally, look at how much blood there is under the table. If the killer was under the tablecloth with Togami when they killed him, they would have blood all over themselves. They could have washed it off, but then their clothes would be wet instead. Unless if they ran home and changed clothes, they would stand out. If they killed him from under the floorboards, however, they would stay clean.

The earring is the most mysterious thing about this. On a side note, the earring looks different from Gundam's other small accessories. For instance, the gem chained to his cuff has a black outline, but the earring does not. It kind of stands out. It was probably added on to his character after they had already drawn him. This could mean that we're not going to see him wear it again, which in turn could mean that the earring is too deformed now to wear again.

We can rule out Togami committing suicide, because they already did a suicide in the last game, and he has no reason to kill himself. Plus, why the gently caress would he kill himself at a party? Togami's out.

If the power turning back on was automated somehow, then practically anybody could be the killer: after flipping the lights and killing Togami, they could have lifted some loose floorboards (most likely ones hidden under the carpet) and crawled back into the room, then waited for the lights to come back on. This could very well be the case, and we obviously don't have all of the evidence right now.

As for right now, however, it's easier and more convenient for us to assume that the breakers were switched back on automatically. If this is the case, then the possible suspects are Souda, Nanami, Hanamura, Kuzuryuu, Peko, Nagito, and Monobear. The killer would have to be inside of the office when the lights went on, so they couldn't be in the main hall.
- I'm guessing Monobear isn't the killer, because he has little reason to do it subtly like this if we wanted to take Togami out. If he did kill someone subtly, he would do it to set someone up. However, the only person he has any reason to set up is Togami himself, and, well, he's dead. He could have done it just for the fun of watching people accuse an innocent person, but that's not really in the spirit of the game. It would be like if a murder mystery went "Even though you found all of this evidence and made a case against that person, it turns out God killed him! Case closed! :downs:"
- Kuzuryuu is obviously a red herring, and unless if Nanami is just incredibly loving dickish, she would have mentioned "Hey, by the way, the guy that said he wouldn't come decided to come after all!" I guess he could have snuck in through the floorboards and then snuck back out, but that feels kind of cheap.
- It would be too obvious if Peko committed the murder, because she's the one who had control over the lights. Besides, then the bathroom would stay unexplained. Why would the bathroom be locked if not to hide someone? Peko and the Kuzuryuu are the only ones unaccounted for, and there's no reason for Kuzuryuu to be locked in there.
- I can see why Hanamura wouldn't decide to poison someone to kill them, as he would obviously be the prime suspect. He did come in after Souda, so he could have stayed in the office until after Souda went back into the hall. However, if they find the skewer (and if that knife is a kitchen knife), then he once again becomes the prime suspect, as he was the last person in contact with those (besides Togami, who's, well, dead). He doesn't really have a motive, either: I mean, he does seem to be in denial about the whole situation, but so far he seems content to just kick back, cook, and hit on people. He just comes off as a lover, not a figher killer.
- Nagito is much too obvious for the murder. He was the one setting up the lodge the entire day, people will obviously suspect him. He doesn't seem to have any motive, however, unless if they pull a "oh, he was crazy all along!" thing.
- Souda, on the other hand, has been freaking the gently caress out ever since he got here. He obviously wants off of the island as soon as possible. However, if he was the person who flipped the lights back on, why would he lie about it? I'm not sure if he was with everyone else when the power went out. He probably was the one who said "W-wait here, I'll use the wall as a guide and see if I can't fix this", but he could have come back in just to say that. The problem is, he could just say "hey, it seems someone else turned the lights off, and I turned the lights on" if he was the one who turned it on. What reason does he have to lie? He's still the second most suspicious person, however.
- Nanami is my prime suspect. First of all, she could easily just not mention that she went inside and back out. Second, she was just supposed to convince Monomi to distract Monobear, right? Why is she still outside at the end, if not to chat with Monomi (as a mole, possibly?) or to play innocent? It would also be the easiest for her to sneak around under the floorboards, since she's already outside. As for her motive? She could be the mole, which is why she's still talking to Monomi, but there's another possibility: she's a gamer. She's found herself in a game, and there's a timer. The objective is to kill someone and get away with it. The reward is freedom. She doesn't seem to care about people much, she's too engrossed in her games. That's what this whole situation is: a game. As for her being the mole (but also for her just treating this as a game), she's kept her calm the most this whole time.

Granted, there are still a lot of unknowns right now, and we'll obviously get more evidence later. Additionally, we still don't know if the breakers were flipped manually or automatically. It could very well be that Souda, Kuzuryuu, Hanamura, Nagito, or even someone else is the killer. However, with what we know right now, I'd say that Nanami is the most suspicious.

Zhauth fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 21, 2013

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

tiistai posted:

Ehhh. I'm not sure why but I'm getting "two separate murderers, at least one succesful" vibes here. At the very least Togami was up to something either sinister or benevolent.

Well, the fact that there are two possible murder weapons (the knife and the unaccounted-for-skewer) does say a lot, unless Hanamura's mentioning of a missing skewer is a red herring.

I'm personally hoping that Hanamura was the successful murderer and Nagito was the unsuccessful one out of unabashed character favoritism. Plus it would be really cool to see Not-Naegi have to deal with the social consequences of being an attempted murderer for the rest of the game. Since I haven't seen it brought up by anyone (though I certainly don't fully read every single post, vOv) I should mention that Nagito both dissuaded people from guarding the Togami box inside the storage room and volunteered to search the storage room, alone, immediately when he suggested people split up to search post-outage.

Also important for the blood trail discussions is that we have only approached the table from one direction so far. There could still be blood in open space in between the wall and the table; at the least there is a lot more blood splattered against the tablecloth on that side and seemingly a lot less blood on the side Hinata opened the sheets from.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

If there really is someone in the bathroom (maybe it's locked but empty, or maybe it really is Monobear's base of operations), it can only be Kuzuryuu, since we saw Peko briefly after the start of the party and the bathroom door was already locked then. The only question is whether Kuzuryuu is alive or dead in there. If he's dead, suspicion will fall on Komaeda in a callback DR1's first case; if he's alive, it's because the killer is setting him up in a callback to the third case.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

In the first game, everything took place in a sealed environment. There were limited opportunities to get rid of evidence and few weapons. That isn't the normally the case on the island, because anyone can dispose of evidence via the ground or sea.

Monomi's rules say that you can't litter, or something to that effect. We can't say for certain yet, but that might include disposing of evidence in the sea.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Some things that may or may not count as evidence include the state of the floor,

I don't see how you could discount the state of the floor as evidence considering how many characters talked about how hazardous the gaps in the floor were during the initial phase of the party. It may be a red herring but I'm leaning toward 'no'.

It's a bit early, since we haven't done any investigating yet, but I have every confidence the floor's state will be evidence.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 18, 2014

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Skunkrocker posted:

The whole "What are you doing stop" thing. He had his goggles in hand and was trying to put them on when our murderer (wearing their own goggles) attempted to stop him so he couldn't yell out his attacker's name before he died. Then they stashed him under the table with the murder weapon and his goggles to cover the whole thing up.

That's crazy. You're saying he was standing in the dark, putting his goggles on, when someone attacked and killed him then and there? Ignoring how on earth there was no screaming (it's a problem anyway, but I don't remember an instantly working anaesthetic being introduced), there's no blood anywhere except under the table. They'd have to have dragged him under there in the midst of chaos, all the while Togami keeps clutching on to his goggles with his dead fingers, then they'd spray some blood around the tablecloth for good measure.

Or do you mean Togami first dived under the table in the dark, THEN started putting on the goggles?

The only explanations I can think of are 1) they're not Togami's goggles 2) they are, but the murderer deliberately removed them for whatever reason 3) art oversight (god I hope not).

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A good start to the murder fun-times! There's no name scrawled in blood, and at least 4 people who need investigating: Peko, Hanamura, Nagito and Kuzuryuu. Unless everyone's gone stupid our MC is in the clear for the first case. None of them have a pressing motive to kill, nor a reason to target Togami specifically. If it follows the trend of the first, we'll still have a blindingly obvious culprit before we go to trial, but such is the way of tutorials.

Here's the most puzzling part: there's no way someone pulled the breaker, ran all the way back to the party, killed Togami and stuffed him under the table in the time the lights were out. We know from the first game an accomplice has nothing to gain... but the characters do not. If the murder was purely opportunistic we're still left with "who tripped the breaker, and why?"

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
From the way those Night vision goggles are sitting, they weren't attached to Togami's head when he bought it. If he was wearing them, got stabbed, and then fell face first, they would be rightside up, or at a terribly broken angle. He was also under the table or moving under it when he was killed, as well. But Togami's behavior implies he's had some sort of ace up his sleeve, and the second box he had likely contained those goggles and he was planning--for good or ill-- to use them to either pull off a killing or singlehandedly capture a would be murderer and further prove how awesome he is... Didn't work out too well, though

Unless that's a diver's knife of some sort, I find it odd that the blade's grip is just a single piece of metal without a grip, but that may not be as important as I make it sound. Also, as others have mentioned, the knife can't be from the lodge's kitchen because both Hanamura and Togami would have noticed its absence, separately from each other.

Only two people could know about the knife's presence (with one exception, but I'll get to that)-- Togami, or Nagito Togami's been searching everybody and going over the lodge- perhaps not as thoroughly as he'd thought- so either he planted it, with the intent to kill someone, somehow, or-- as I said before, if he knew about it but didn't plant it, he said nothing and was planning to catch a killer in the act, anticipating that someone would kill the lights and then (try to) kill a student. This second option, if he knew of it, seems the most likely if it's the same DR1 Togami, no matter how more benign he is.

But Togami can only do so much, and I dunno if he searched literally every inch of the place. Because more importantly, Nagito's been there the whole loving day cleaning this place up. He's the ONLY person who could have smuggled the knife in and intended to use it. Nobody else could get the knife there-- it had to have been planted before Togami started searching the place. No one else but Togami has any recourse to search the lodge, so no one would be looking for it, and if someone snuck in to kill somebody they'd have had it with them. If by some hosed up twist of fate someone *found* the knife by chance, they'd raise an alarm, or the other kids would wonder why so-and-so is searching under a table.

Nagito, you got some 'splaining to do...

...However! There's the matter of the skewer. It seems far more likely to be the weapon that'd do in such a fat guy and it was missing to begin with. I'm not sure how the knife got bloodied or how the gently caress the power went out, but I have a theory:

Nagito planned the whole lodge-cleaning deal, including getting the short-straw for himself, so he could up and murder someone. He goes about planting a knife the vigilant Togami misses, and waits for opportunity. MEANWHILE, someone ELSE's been hiding around the lodge, either in the bathroom or under the floor, armed with the skewer. Kuzuryuu seems most likely. When the lights go out, Nagito takes his chance, unaware that Togami's got Night Vision Goggles and goes for the knife. Togami tries to stop him, but during their struggle, the killer under the floor up and stabs Togami before trying to escape back to the bathroom.

...It's a little far-fetched, but it's entirely possible if the skewer actually plays into this killing: Togami had been under the table and and being under the floor gives anyone the space to strike upwards and kill him.

But it still doesn't explain how the lights went out, or how any of them could have planned this with Peko hanging around the fuse box...

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Rangpur posted:

None of them have a pressing motive to kill, nor a reason to target Togami specifically.

You know, given that Monobear's whole "motive" schtick this time around was "You're all mindwiped and thus haven't been able to spot the out-of-place person", and how historically those motives have always been selected to stick in someone's craw, I can't help but wonder if somebody deduced that Togami was an odd man out and took him to be a "traitor" while also being desperate to restore their memory for some reason.

Given that we've previously seen that Nagito had previous knowledge of Togami, supposedly acquired from online research (which... doesn't seem possible), I wonder if what he "really" knows is going to become a major part of this case.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
There's still a chance that it's a fake murder and Togami's just building up team spirit in his own special way

:unsmith:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

[redacted]

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

TKMobile posted:

Because more importantly, Nagito's been there the whole loving day cleaning this place up. He's the ONLY person who could have smuggled the knife in and intended to use it. Nobody else could get the knife there-- it had to have been planted before Togami started searching the place.

As a matter of fact:

orenronen posted:

Oh, Hinata-kun! So, what do you think?
What do I think about what?
About the way I decorated this hall for the party, of course! I even spread out a carpet.
...You brought in this carpet?

Yeah, I got it at the supermarket.

No he wasn't. Nagito had to leave the shack to get the carpet, and anyone could have snuck in and planted the knife while he was off hauling it back.

The real question is when the skewer was taken. We know it (supposedly) happened before Hanamura went in, but we'd need a better idea of what the timeline of his actions was before we can determine who could and couldn't take it.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

CandyCrazy posted:

No he wasn't. Nagito had to leave the shack to get the carpet, and anyone could have snuck in and planted the knife while he was off hauling it back.

The real question is when the skewer was taken. We know it (supposedly) happened before Hanamura went in, but we'd need a better idea of what the timeline of his actions was before we can determine who could and couldn't take it.

The knife also had to come from the store, and if it was taped up under the table with a party streamer, then Nagito still brought the knife in. The only way he couldn't have was if he made multiple trips, but it's still pointing towards him, or that the knife was brought in *after* he went to the store at least once: first to get the party paraphernalia, second to get the carpet.

But yeah, you're right about piecing the timing of events together, even if I'm wrong about Nagito. There're two weapons missing; if one person was behind the killing, they wouldn't need both, no matter how much fat you gotta stab. Two people were planning to commit murder here.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I skipped 2 pages here, but:

I like the 'stabbed with skewer from under the floorboards when Togami went down there to retrieve the stuff' idea. However, one thing that we are about to find out can immediately rule out this theory.

There is no bloodstains around the table, only under Togami. This means that the stabbing must have happened where he is lying right now. This means that there will be puncture holes in that carpet under him. If not, it couldn't have been from under the floorboards, because there's a carpet in the way.

This is assuming anyone moves his fat rear end, though. :v:

Also, Gundam's earring is missing and his sprite was altered to show it, which means Gundam's earring missing is probably going to be a red herring. It will have fallen off his ear and under the floorboards, pinning him as the person who must have been under the floor, because from my experience in SHSL Trials, they're :downs: as hell until Naegi sets 'em straight.

Suzuki Method fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 21, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

TKMobile posted:

The knife also had to come from the store

Hanamura said he was missing a knife. There was a window of time where someone could've gone into the lodge and Nagito getting there unless Monobear or Monomi still tried to enforce nobody going into the lodge after the former showed up.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Hanamura said he was missing a knife. There was a window of time where someone could've gone into the lodge and Nagito getting there unless Monobear or Monomi still tried to enforce nobody going into the lodge after the former showed up.

He just said that he was missing a skewer. Not a knife. Togami also looked at the inventory list of the kitchen and only noticed the skewer was missing, not BOTH.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is Akane a werewolf?

Claw hands when "powered up", smells blood easily, extreme appetite, extreme physical capabilities.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Suzuki Method posted:

I skipped 2 pages here, but:

I like the 'stabbed with skewer from under the floorboards when Togami went down there to retrieve the stuff' idea. However, one thing that we are about to find out can immediately rule out this theory.

There is no bloodstains around the table, only under Togami. This means that the stabbing must have happened where he is lying right now. This means that there will be puncture holes in that carpet under him. If not, it couldn't have been from under the floorboards, because there's a carpet in the way.

This is assuming anyone moves his fat rear end, though. :v:

Also, Gundam's earring is missing and his sprite was altered to show it, which means Gundam's earring missing is probably going to be a red herring. It will have fallen off his ear and under the floorboards, pinning him as the person who must have been under the floor, because from my experience in SHSL Trials, they're :downs: as hell until Naegi sets 'em straight.

Is there even carpet under there though? There's the red stripey bit that's obviously carpet. You've got a wooden strip between the carpet and the under-table area that's kind of weird if Nagito laid the carpet, but I could be misinterpreting the art. But then the perimeter of the room seems to just be planks and this table is pushed up against the back of the room. The characters acknowledge the lovely exposed planks often enough we know they're a thing.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Lot of weird stuff happened at this party. Maybe it's just my impression before the investigation begins but this feels quite a bit more complex than the first game's Ch1 murder. Who was in the bathroom the entire party? Where did swordswoman go after the power outage? Who turned off the power in the first place? Prime suspects seem to be swordswoman and babyface gangster until we have more information, but nothing in the way of a motive is present. Perhaps this was another self defense murder?

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Is there even carpet under there though? There's the red stripey bit that's obviously carpet. You've got a wooden strip between the carpet and the under-table area that's kind of weird if Nagito laid the carpet, but I could be misinterpreting the art. But then the perimeter of the room seems to just be planks and this table is pushed up against the back of the room. The characters acknowledge the lovely exposed planks often enough we know they're a thing.

I went back to the screenshot after you said that, and

Well poo poo, a bunch of pitch black, how completely useful for me. gently caress that t:mad:

It looks like you'd be correct-- there is no carpet under that table. Lame.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

[redacted]

Sandata
Mar 19, 2010

Suzuki Method posted:

Well poo poo, a bunch of pitch black, how completely useful for me. gently caress that that

It looks like you'd be correct-- there is no carpet under that table. Lame.

I think that perhaps the black thing is the carpet. Just shaded as showing no light under the table?

Edit: wait, is the wood black or the carpet red? Yes it's that mixed up to me!

Sandata fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 21, 2013

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Skunkrocker posted:

I love the Akane being a werewolf thing. It's kinda fitting for the character. However, this game as fantastical as it can get at times seems to still be grounded somewhat in reality; I mean, the SHSL Forture Teller from last game was only right 20% of the time... if we had werewolves, why would he suck so bad at his job?

And yes, I know, he predicted the bad ending to the first game. That's fine. So he was right once out of five, by the math.

Not necessarily to contradict your post (though I have no idea what the existence of werewolves have to do with possible clairvoyance), but he predicted both the good ending and the bad ending. After... I think it was chapter 3? Hagakure predicted that there would be no more murders: all three deaths afterward were suicide or an obfuscation. That was his good end prediction. It is wrong if his prediction of his and Naegi's children sharing a mother is correct as it requires an execution, invalidating his good end prediction. There seems to be a whole lot of accurate merit in his claim is what I'm saying (20% is actually quite a lot to be right when predicting the future), even if it was probably just a dev joke in the end, or at least their attempt at showcasing how he's SHSL without being a con artist in disguise. :v:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

[redacted]

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

orenronen posted:

Yay! An indecent pose! This is clearly a fan service scene, isn't it!

For how creepy she is, I can't help but like her at times like this. She's not just an awful human being; she's awful and doesn't care who knows it.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Falls Down Stairs posted:

You've got a wooden strip between the carpet and the under-table area that's kind of weird if Nagito laid the carpet, but I could be misinterpreting the art.

I think that's supposed to be the fringe on the edge of the carpet.

Emery
Feb 8, 2012
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but it sounds really suspicious to me that Souda knew where the breakers were in this building presumably no one had been in before Nagito. Also, for how bad he was freaking out before, he seems surprisingly calm now. He's setting off some warning bells.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Fighting-Fefnir posted:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but it sounds really suspicious to me that Souda knew where the breakers were in this building presumably no one had been in before Nagito. Also, for how bad he was freaking out before, he seems surprisingly calm now. He's setting off some warning bells.

It was stated that the breakers were in the office when they assigned Peko to guard the office.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If nothing else, I'm hoping that we get some closure about why Togami was even there to begin with, if he is the same Togami and how does this game relate to DR1 and the supposed Mono-World we saw at the end.

Though I would imagine the last point is probably something that wouldn't be explained until we're nearing the end of this game, if at all.

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

Stroth posted:

I think that's supposed to be the fringe on the edge of the carpet.

Yeah, I don't think there's any doubt from the picture that Togami is laying on top of the wood planks. The only thing on the floor other than the wooden planks was the carpet, and the red part is very clearly the end of the carpet. So the skewer-from-below theory is extremely plausible, at this point I'd be very surprised if it weren't the case.

Also, I figure this might be important to take note of:

orenronen posted:

We waited in the darkness for a while, waiting to finally be released from this anxiety.

We waited for a while, and then, finally...

I mention this because a lot of folks have mentioned certain suspects "not having time" to pull off the murder, but though the murder itself likely happened within a minute or two, it sounds like they had a decent bit of time to do whatever else needed to be done afterwards.

At this point, it seems likely that the storage room contains a way into the crawl space, which Nagito used to kill Togami. Although somebody mentioned that Nagito went to the convenience store at least twice during the day, so that would give anybody a time where they could plant a knife under the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
My guess is that Togami was stabbed elsewhere, and then crawled under the table. One last bout of corpse-moving, for old time's sake.

• Locked thread