Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Yeah, that was me. I felt stupid for not setting my bid higher and protecting myself from snipers since I was actually willing to pay more. I put an offer in on another one, so we'll see if it works out. I'm going to shoot my next project on large format, so I want to have my own gear for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Reichstag posted:

Then why not use Vuescan?

Very curious to see your results. Is the film limited to a smaller range of wavelengths than normal b/w film? I vaguely recall some discussion of xray film on LFF as being restricted to green and blue sensitivity according to which film they used.

Anything's better than FlexColor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2998HT1ZhU

seriously, has anyone ever watched this video to completion? it's mind numbing

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Well, good luck. I really like a lot of the stuff you do, looking forward to seeing what you get up to in LF. Were you looking for that camera in particular or just any decent 4x5?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

big scary monsters posted:

Well, good luck. I really like a lot of the stuff you do, looking forward to seeing what you get up to in LF. Were you looking for that camera in particular or just any decent 4x5?

Thanks! I was looking for a monorail with a portrait lens. I put an offer on a field camera, though, because it has movements. I don't need crazy amounts of movement, but I wanted to be able to scheimpflug eyes if I'm shooting close in.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Anything's better than FlexColor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2998HT1ZhU

seriously, has anyone ever watched this video to completion? it's mind numbing

I haven't watched this video but I like flex color a lot more than any other scanning program that I've used

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

McMadCow posted:

Thanks! I was looking for a monorail with a portrait lens. I put an offer on a field camera, though, because it has movements. I don't need crazy amounts of movement, but I wanted to be able to scheimpflug eyes if I'm shooting close in.

Monorail will get you more movements than a field camera but the gemneral consensus from people on LFF is tha you don't need lots of movements for portaits. I think either will work for you. I am looking to pick up one of those 150mm tessars for portraits myself.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Well my offer was accepted on an MPP field camera with 184mm lens. I didn't want to say which one I was putting an offer on, lest some Goon snatch it away! :argh:
I should be able to try it out in the studio next week.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Portra 160

Containers by alkanphel, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

McMadCow posted:

Well my offer was accepted on an MPP field camera with 184mm lens. I didn't want to say which one I was putting an offer on, lest some Goon snatch it away! :argh:
I should be able to try it out in the studio next week.
184mm seems like a really odd focal length. Is this camera old enough that non-metric units were used when it was originally designed? A quick calculation suggests 7 1/4 inches = 184mm.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

184mm seems like a really odd focal length. Is this camera old enough that non-metric units were used when it was originally designed? A quick calculation suggests 7 1/4 inches = 184mm.

Kodak's 203mm Ektar would like a a word with you.:radcat:

Lensmakers basically used to label stuff how ever they wanted and some of them were a bit more exact than others.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Genderfluid posted:

I haven't watched this video but I like flex color a lot more than any other scanning program that I've used

Agree'd, FlexColor is the only scanner software in which manually setting black and white points is not a pain in the rear end.

KosherNostra
Jan 1, 2005

WHERE DA PIRATES AT?
Anyone care to post their EpsonScan settings? Trying to get the most of my v600

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

KosherNostra posted:

Anyone care to post their EpsonScan settings? Trying to get the most of my v600

no unsharp mask, digital ICE only if it's color, set black/white points individually per photo to just past the edge of the histogram pattern, leave gamma the way it is

if it's color, set the RGB channel b/w points individually and sort it out in photoshop

supposedly, it's not optimal, but it works for me

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I need some help scanning. I have an Epson V700 and I'm using VueScan - for years I've been scanning in my medium format negatives, and a few 4x5s, and everything's been great.

I'm now attempting to scan some 5x7 negatives. I have an 8x10 sheet of anti-newton glass from Betterscanning, and have taped the negative to it as one is supposed to. However, on scanning, I'm getting a powerful green slow around the edges of the negative. Thinking this was bleed, I tried making a mask out of a couple sheets of paper running around the outside, but this has had little to no effect. Anyone know what's going on and how to fix it?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Dumb question, but are you sure it isn't on the negative?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

dukeku posted:

Dumb question, but are you sure it isn't on the negative?

I think it looks like a combination of not great C41 processing (low dynamic range) and some light leaks.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Spedman posted:

I think it looks like a combination of not great C41 processing (low dynamic range) and some light leaks.

Well, now I feel like a giant idiot. You're quite right. The green in negative is purple, and against the naturally rather orange field of the negative it doesn't stand out. I never picked up on the problem until now.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Well, all you need to do now is work out if its the bellows or the holder thats leaking light and be stoked your scanner isn't buggered.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I bet it's the holder leaking.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

8th-samurai posted:

I bet it's the holder leaking.

I'm bet you're right. I was using a friend of mine's 5x7 gear, and most of his holders were of significant age.

I'm rather curious though, why the glow is green, instead of white.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
Probably how the light refracted through the leak?

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
xpostin

The Ticket Writer, Nice by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Hipsters. by joelalexanderwright, on Flickr

Since it doesn't get much use these days, I am selling my SQ-Ai. We have had some fun times together.

Apart from the amount of loving dust my scanner manages to suck in.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 18, 2013

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

D1000003 by spf3million, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

More Portra 160

Kilo @ Pact by alkanphel, on Flickr

Fire Fignting Acces by alkanphel, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I got a bit excited on Ebay last night and got myself an 8x10 wooden tailback wetplate camera as a fixer-upper (needs some bellows), and a cheap brass lens that should cover an 8x10 plate.

I was planning on building my own 8x10 wetplate camera, but the more I read into it the more I realised I was going to struggle to find the time, and make the space to work on it.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
shot some 4x5 on an 8x10

lovely Creek, Greenburgh NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

141, Greenburgh NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Couple of new shots:

Reflected Lines by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Lock by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

HP5+ :love:

edit:

I love this.

Holistic Detective fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 21, 2013

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Primo Itch posted:

Thanks, I'll do some research on the moskva.

The thing for me is, I'm in Brazil and anything film related is ridiculously expensive around here (I'm talking 20USD for a roll of 35mm tri-x), so i'm thinking about using the trip to buy a MF camera (and TONS of film). Buying from the US can be done for small things - thank you freestyle - , but on bigger/more expensive things import taxes are completely abusive. I saw your mat on the gear thread, but when I add shipping and taxes the price would go so high that I could probably get a fuji 690 in Europe while i'm there for the same money.

Basically i'm looking for a 200-300 USD solution that I can get in Europe (I'll be in western europe also)... I think i'd enjoy TLR, but i'm quite open to whatever kind of system that can be done on my budget.

God the moskva-5 looks so sexy...

Hey, I'm from Brazil. Old post, but let me school you on some poo poo. You're not taking advantage of the fact that nobody in Brazil values old stuff like cameras. I got myself an yashica mat for $150 and a pristine pentax 6x7 for $300. Buy film on ebay from chinese dudes, at $7.50 per roll, free shipping. I buy around $100 of film and it's enough to last until the next package comes (around 1 month). I got my film scanner, HP G4050, for $250 new and it's pretty good and comes with the holders.

Also, you gotta take advantage of the fact that you can develop a roll for $1 in here. In the end, it ends up being cheaper than most places in the world.

EDIT: check this out, a perfectly working Yashica mat for $90: http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-466623857-cmera-yashica-mat-124-g-medio-formato-japo-_JM

You're not looking hard enough, bro.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 21, 2013

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Welp, I bit the bullet and got a new back for my (school's) Sinar F. Gonna shoot like 22 frames this weekend, my back already hates me. I will be bringing my Pentax 6x7 + 3 lenses, a 5DMK2 with two lenses, and the Sinar F with 3 lenses.

May god have mercy on my soul.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Welp, I bit the bullet and got a new back for my (school's) Sinar F. Gonna shoot like 22 frames this weekend, my back already hates me. I will be bringing my Pentax 6x7 + 3 lenses, a 5DMK2 with two lenses, and the Sinar F with 3 lenses.

May god have mercy on your spine.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Uh why? Unless you mean in a bag in the trunk of the car. I used to carry two medium format systems around and gently caress bothering with a DSLR if you are hauling film gear.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I decided to get an OM-D instead of a 5dmkii mostly because I could carry it in the bag with my p67 without hating myself.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It helps that it's an awesome camera in its own right.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

D1000007 by spf3million, on Flickr

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I got a GW690II for $350. Best gamble ever, because it's awesome.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

nonanone posted:

I got a GW690II for $350. Best gamble ever, because it's awesome.

Really my favorite camera system

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

A GS690II is on my list of wanted cameras. From what I hear the optics are amazing.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Santa is strapped posted:

A GS690II is on my list of wanted cameras. From what I hear the optics are amazing.

One of the reasons it's the best. Let me list them all.

Huge negatives (2.25 x 3 inches), which is around a third of the surface area of a 4x5 negative.

Crazy sharp optics.

Really really light and portable, especially compared to something like the pentax 6x7.

It's really the bees knees. If it only had a built in meter... Carrying around a spot meter isn't so bad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

How did the negatives from that cheap as hell 612 back ever turn out?

• Locked thread