Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I bought Ys oath in Felghana on a whim and pretty much played every PSP release since. I tried Napishtim but the lovely port made me put it down with how god drat slow it was. 7 is my favorite so far and the sense of scale is pretty amazing for the PSP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

So loving happy Falcom is going back and giving IV the Oath in Felghana treatment, because Mask of the Sun is painfully boring. Dawn of Ys is pretty loving awesome though.

I gotta disagree though - I honestly thought the 3D models in the PS2 port of VI were pretty good, but I'm not too big on the super-deformed look anyway. It had some weird rear end framerate issues though, especially in that one underwater segment.

It's nice to see this series finally getting some good attention outside of Japan. Aren't they supposed to be loving nuts about these games over there? (given that the first few games are on dozens of different systems it seems like)

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Saralene posted:

There's still a friggin' ton of bugs to fix in Chronicles+ it seems, including that Cloud issue it doesn't look like I can fix. Looks like Valve will have to look at that one. Still, I was wondering, when the ton of bugs does get worked out, is there anything you guys would want to see that sounds reasonable for me to do? Missing features from Complete etc?

Set up a controls default scheme that plays like Ys Eternal/Complete (Space is Confirm/Magic, Enter is Use Item) because the default key layout is pretty awkward. Maybe include the option to have rings and magic selection bound to individual keys (power ring 1, shield ring 2, etc) rather than having to scroll between them - we got all these keys we might as well use them.

Awesome Welles posted:

I gotta disagree though - I honestly thought the 3D models in the PS2 port of VI were pretty good

No. Nononononono. Wrong. Stop that.

Awesome Welles posted:

It's nice to see this series finally getting some good attention outside of Japan. Aren't they supposed to be loving nuts about these games over there? (given that the first few games are on dozens of different systems it seems like)

"loving nuts" is a massive overstatement.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Awesome Welles posted:

I would've much rather had Ys be the wildly popular RPG series in the US than Final Fantasy.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I've been reading a lot of good things about these games, and that Gamasutra interview that was just posted is making me want to jump on these. I was going to go for Oath of Felghana first, but I prefer my action games to be more linear and focused, and people said Origins is a good entry point, so I think I'll go for that first.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I've been reading a lot of good things about these games, and that Gamasutra interview that was just posted is making me want to jump on these. I was going to go for Oath of Felghana first, but I prefer my action games to be more linear and focused, and people said Origins is a good entry point, so I think I'll go for that first.

Oath is pretty linear anyways, its the difference between say Persona 3 climbing the tower versus Persona 4 going to different themed dungeons if Persona 4 had like four screens total of forest to walk through between each of them. It's also completely amazing so don't let that stop you.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm rewatching the Ys anime. Hilariously there's a fair amount of scenes where Adol just runs through the country side slashing enemies without stopping while First Steps Towards Wars plays. And for some reason Luta looks like a thinner Hercule :v:

Also I still love how allergic to boats Adol is.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

The running into dudes is pretty annoying until you learn how to run into them diagonally. Some of bosses of the first game are beyond bullshit especially the last one. Oath is loving great and everyone should play it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Assuming we're just talking the Ys games on Steam and VI/Seven, I don't think there's really a "bad" Ys game to serve as an introduction. For a while it was pretty murky with so few of them translated, not to mention the billion different ports, but it's been simplified rather nicely with these Steam releases. There's even a non-zero chance we'll get VI on Steam as well which is kind of amazing to me. I hope the series is doing well for XSEED.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Considering each Ys PC release has topped Steam's sales charts for a few days, I imagine bringing them over has done very well for XSEED.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Never mind XSEED, I hope Falcom gets convinced to return to its PC roots. I caved and bought a used PSP for Ys7, gently caress if I have to buy a Vita. I realize Japanese companies have the Japanese market to think of first, but I can dream.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So I pulled down the Origin demo on steam and loved every 33 minutes of it, even dying a few times to the boss of the demo (Big fire guy in a circular fire pit). I realize there's probably *story* in there somewhere, and starting with Origin is good even though the gametype is different from I and II, but will the story keep me hooked through those games, or is the gameplay the main hook?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

DelphiAegis posted:

So I pulled down the Origin demo on steam and loved every 33 minutes of it, even dying a few times to the boss of the demo (Big fire guy in a circular fire pit). I realize there's probably *story* in there somewhere, and starting with Origin is good even though the gametype is different from I and II, but will the story keep me hooked through those games, or is the gameplay the main hook?

The story in the Ys games is incredibly cookie-cutter, though they do have two redeeming factors to them:

1)They are internally consistent most of the time. None of that "the main character of the last game went back in time and did this so this happened and now everything has changed despite none of it making sense" crap.
2)They are nowhere near as offensively stupid as most JRPG plotlines.

Ed: But to answer your story question, no. The plot will not keep you hooked through the series, though the gameplay will.

Ed2: Question. Why the gently caress did I say story there.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 19, 2013

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Fair enough. The gameplay from the demo alone sold me on Origin at least. Now maybe I'll be able to go through this thread again and get all the in-jokes.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

toddy. posted:

No. Nononononono. Wrong. Stop that.

I guess it's because the super-deformed look doesn't really do anything for me. I felt like the 3D models had their own charm to them, and seeing Adol's armor change was a nice touch.

quote:

"loving nuts" is a massive overstatement.

Well, that's why I was just wondering. :shobon:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lance Streetman posted:

Ed: But to answer your story, no. The plot will not keep you hooked through the series, though the gameplay will.

As will the music, if you like music. I routinely just stand around listening to it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lance Streetman posted:

Ed: But to answer your story question, no. The plot will not keep you hooked through the series, though the gameplay will.

Though the series does do a somewhat commendable job of trying to tie the plots of most of the games together, so if you're into playing "connect the dots with the plot points" then you'll have fun with the Ys games. Especially Ys 6.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would say that they are simple but serviceable stories. The worst thing you can really say about them is that they are quite repetitive (basically the same thing happens in every game). One thing that I do think is kind of neat is how famous "Adol The Red" is by later entries. Eventually there will be a Ys game set in not-Rome and everyone will poo poo their pants when he shows up.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
What's the difference between Complete mode and Chronicles mode in Ys 1?

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Call Now posted:

What's the difference between Complete mode and Chronicles mode in Ys 1?

Music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXI1r2nG0-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3CNy_PvyBA

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Actually I think he means the selection you make when you start a game, in which case the difference is the character artwork when you talk to someone. Ys Chronicles on the PSP had different artwork from the original Eternal/Complete release on the PC. Music is selected in the Options menu where there's a third choice as well (PC-88).

E: If you look here, the first Reah screenshot is Chronicles while the second is Complete. Personally I prefer Complete because at higher resolutions the Chronicles artwork seems more pixelated to me.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 19, 2013

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Nate RFB posted:

Actually I think he means the selection you make when you start a game, in which case the difference is the character artwork when you talk to someone. Ys Chronicles on the PSP had different artwork from the original Eternal/Complete release on the PC. Music is selected in the Options menu where there's a third choice as well (PC-88).

E: If you look here, the first Reah screenshot is Chronicles while the second is Complete. Personally I prefer Complete because at higher resolutions the Chronicles artwork seems more pixelated to me.

Oh, right. My bad. Yeah I prefer Chronicles if only because it's pixel perfect on my PSP.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Heads up to any other Australlians, we can now buy Ys SEVEN from PSN for less than fifteen ausdollars. I'm.. really tempted to buy it again, just so I can have it on my Vita :negative:

e: I bought it. I have no self control.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 20, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

gschmidl posted:

As will the music, if you like music. I routinely just stand around listening to it.

The boss music in Ys Origin and TurboCD 1&2 is certainly among the best of all time.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Hell, the only thing that carried me through the 40 or so deaths on the first boss in Felghana (I came from having beaten my first Ys game, Ys Seven and thought "I got this, let's do hard mode on this"...) was the ridiculously kickass boss theme.

/edit: better link

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Holy poo poo I need this. 25 Years of Ys artbook.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I played through Oath a while ago after it was released on steam and really really enjoyed it. I think I burnt through it in two sittings, I couldn't get enough of it. It was like playing a mix of Secret of Mana and Ragnarok Online.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Oh my god the vampire boss in Ys 1 is terrible.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

:stare: Where do I order that magnificent tome?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Call Now posted:

Oh my god the vampire boss in Ys 1 is terrible.

If you mean the first boss, go back and buy the next stronger sword.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

raditts posted:

If you mean the first boss, go back and buy the next stronger sword.

No, I mean the literal vampire, in the mines :v: I have silver everything, and it would still take me like 20 hits to kill him, if I could actually land a hit on him.

e: The worst thing is, I can clearly remember killing him on the first try on the DS. :(

ANIME MONSTROSITY fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 22, 2013

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Call Now posted:

No, I mean the literal vampire, in the mines :v: I have silver everything, and it would still take me like 20 hits to kill him, if I could actually land a hit on him.

That boss is complete bullshit, almost made me quit the game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You haven't known frustration until you attempt to beat Zava in Ys II Complete without knowing you could have gotten a better sword from the waterway. I died so, so many times :negative:

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Finally finished Chronicles. Fun times although I'm glad I completed Origins and Oath first, I enjoyed it more just for the 'continuation' of the setting/music than for the actual gameplay. Really hope/look forward to getting more on Steam in the future!

I did encounter an error on completing II though. Right after the end cutscene I got a message about there being a problem with the video followed up by a second one about there being no hard-disk. Anyone else get something similar? (I was dumb and forgot to screenshot it though)

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I finished Ys VI the other day. Great fun for the most part (I loving HATED the Limewater Caves), but the climax was surprisingly sudden, and that was one of the easiest final bosses I've ever encountered.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...
I hate the bat boss in Ys 1 Chronicles on nightmare mode. HATE IT. It took me an hour. Where I got the patience to beat that, I will never know. I'm proud to say I've beaten Ys1+2 chronicles, Felghana, 6, 7, and Origins on nightmare. Ys 7 was my favorite, though I feel like my opinion is being swayed by nightmare difficulty because Ys7 has much less bullshit difficulty and the "you should just level up" feel.

But yeah, this series is the best.

edit: When Felghana was released on steam I thought doing a speed run of it on normal would be a fun idea after seeing the steam leaderboards. It was not, it was full of save abusing and running past everything. Dialogue and Valestein Castle probably took up most of the time. I can't remember the exact time but it was 2 or 3 hours. Go me. :smithicide:

Oh yeah, these people have a lot of fun playing Ys music. Because why shouldn't they? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iUGrtpGoLY

Latte Lottie fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 22, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Speaking of easy final bosses, I just wrapped up a Normal Yunica run in Ys Origin and the last 4 or so boss fights were crazy easy. I think they were the only boss fights I didn't die at least once during.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Latte Lottie posted:

edit: When Felghana was released on steam I thought doing a speed run of it on normal would be a fun idea after seeing the steam leaderboards. It was not, it was full of save abusing and running past everything. Dialogue and Valestein Castle probably took up most of the time. I can't remember the exact time but it was 2 or 3 hours. Go me. :smithicide:
Having watched some Awesome Games Done Quick, I was wondering if Oath could have any interesting tricks to skip stuff?
I know you can, with a few well timed sword slashes, get over a jump that requires the Whirlwind in the volcano area.

Latte Lottie posted:

Oh yeah, these people have a lot of fun playing Ys music. Because why shouldn't they? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iUGrtpGoLY
Haha, the link was already colored. As I finished that level I had to see if anyone had covered its song. Turns out falcom's ensemble play often!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
How are those other falcom psp rpgs, the legend of something or other series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

How are those other falcom psp rpgs, the legend of something or other series?

Legend of Heroes? The first three on PSP (Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch, A Tear of Vermilion, Song of the Ocean) have rear end-awful translations thanks to Bandai, and very simple gameplay, but there's a little charm there. Trails in the Sky is huge and pretty good and plays a liiitle like an SRPG but not quite.

• Locked thread