Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think the Metal Gear Solid HD collection is the Vita version though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

MUFFlNS posted:

Metal Gear Solid HD

Are you loving kidding me with this :stare:

e. Ohhhhh. Well I guess I best buy my Vita soon, then. :v:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I think the Metal Gear Solid HD collection is the Vita version though.

Yeah sorry, should have clarified that, MGS and Puddle are Vita games. I'm just chuffed at all the impressive stuff they keep giving us is all, and all these free Vita games I'm amassing are making the device a very tempting purchase :aaa:

I mean when the Vita was announced the two games that I thought looked awesome were Uncharted and Wipeout, and now I have free copies of them :3:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh no it's all good, MGS HD on the Vita for free is awesome.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I am so jealous of you Europe PS+ guys. We still haven't got Bulletstorm for free and that's one I was hoping we'd get after you!! :argh:

C'mon NA PS+ step it up next month. :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Overlord K posted:

I am so jealous of you Europe PS+ guys. We still haven't got Bulletstorm for free and that's one I was hoping we'd get after you!! :argh:

C'mon NA PS+ step it up next month. :(

Next month on US PS+: Heavenly Sword, Lair.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Was there ever an online resource or general good way to find out the cream of the crop for community-made LBP Karting levels?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neo Rasa posted:

Next month on US PS+: Heavenly Sword, Lair.
I always did kinda want to play Lair to see if it was as bad as everyone said, but without paying for it.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I always did kinda want to play Lair to see if it was as bad as everyone said, but without paying for it.

From what I've heard, once they patched in dual stick controls it was perfectly fine.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I knew I switched from Nintendo for a reason. Their European division's policy for release dates was to take the American one, roll a die, then add that number of months to the release date.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That loving Sned posted:

I knew I switched from Nintendo for a reason. Their European division's policy for release dates was to take the American one, roll a die, then add that number of months to the release date.

That actually hasn't been true for months, if not a year or more. We've even started getting some games before the US by a day or two.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That actually hasn't been true for months, if not a year or more. We've even started getting some games before the US by a day or two.

Or like the Operation Rainfall games, several months before.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
So is the download speed of the PS4 gonna be better than 3? Although its fine for Netflix and online gaming, i just put GT5 in, and had to download a 225MB patch, which is a pain in the arse cos despite having a 5mbs connection, this is gonna take well over an hour.

I don't really understand why updates etc are so slow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baron FU posted:

Or like the Operation Rainfall games, several months before.

That's actually not quite the same. Nintendo of America passed on localizing the 'Rainfall' games and NoE just went "fine then, we'll do it ourselves". The US releases only happened because the EU ones was so successful. A better example would be Mario Kart 7, which turned up two days in the EU before the US.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

spidoman posted:

From what I've heard, once they patched in dual stick controls it was perfectly fine.

It was playable but not a very interesting game still.

WOLF KIDULT MAN
Jun 13, 2008
I moved to a different state without my beloved PS3 a few months back, but I'm finally getting an apartment of my own and having the big fucker shipped out here. Having not touched the thing since the big PS Store overhaul, I'm itching to start a PS Plus account and get in on this free Vanquish action, but I have no idea how the new Instant Game Collection works. Free Vanquish is going to be available AFTER next week's Store update, right? And it will still be available on my account as long I buy it and have Plus, right, even after it's removed from the IGC?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

I moved to a different state without my beloved PS3 a few months back, but I'm finally getting an apartment of my own and having the big fucker shipped out here. Having not touched the thing since the big PS Store overhaul, I'm itching to start a PS Plus account and get in on this free Vanquish action, but I have no idea how the new Instant Game Collection works. Free Vanquish is going to be available AFTER next week's Store update, right? And it will still be available on my account as long I buy it and have Plus, right, even after it's removed from the IGC?
No, it's free now, and I think if it is on your download list (i.e. you have at least started to download it at least once), you can access it like that forever? I haven't tried that with an "expired" game yet though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MUFFlNS posted:

Holy poo poo I just checked and yeah, we're getting Mass Effect 3, Dead or Alive 5, Joe Danger 2, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and Puddle in March.

I loving love this service :swoon:

:psyduck: Holy crap. I was just about to cancel PS+ because I don't use it enough but these are all games I want to play.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

Yeah totally, anything you download will be available for as long as you have Plus, even after they remove it from the rotation. Also if you let it lapse and resub later on, you'll regain access to all your Plus stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You should be able to sign up for Plus and put the stuff in your cart on the webstore, if time is a concern.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

You should be able to sign up for Plus and put the stuff in your cart on the webstore, if time is a concern.

The weekly store update on the PS Blog states what Plus stuff will expire in the next week, so that can be checked if there is concern. Vanquish will probably be up for a while. Only instant game collection thing expiring next week in NA is Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, and I believe that is just a Vita game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm so excited that PS Plus has the game I was going to buy next anyway(Vanquish). Hell yeah.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm so excited that PS Plus has the game I was going to buy next anyway(Vanquish). Hell yeah.
On the other hand, I bought Ninja Gaiden Sigma digitally just before it became free on PS+...

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Lesson learned: Don't buy games.

edit: Alternative lesson: Don't own a Vita.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Lesson learned: Don't buy games.

edit: Alternative lesson: Don't own a Vita.
Well, since the status of even digitally purchased PS3 games on the PS4 is unknown at best, I won't be buying any more games that way anyway I think.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
How come? I think that makes it functionally equivalent to a disc game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

How come? I think that makes it functionally equivalent to a disc game.
When I buy a digital game I expect to be able to play it basically forever, including on upgraded hardware later. Sony didn't create that expectation, MS and Apple and stuff did, but they contributed to it in regards to the Vita and PSP games.

Since we don't know if they are following through on that or not this time (even if it is it will be via cloud gaming, which I am not entirely sold on yet), I'm only going to be buying PS3 games in a form that I can sell later.

edit: On the other hand, that's basically the only thing about the PS4 announcement that isn't a complete positive for me. And it's only a small problem, these days I don't play all that many PS3 games anymore anyway. I don't expect any new Yakuza or Super Robot Wars games in the next year and those are the only two PS3 exclusive (or at least not on 360/PC) series I really care about.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 23, 2013

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So in theory, I could make an european PSN account and buy a PS+ for that account even if I'm in the USA?

Guess I know what I'm doing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RadicalR posted:

So in theory, I could make an european PSN account and buy a PS+ for that account even if I'm in the USA?

Guess I know what I'm doing.
Only if you have a way to get European PSN money. I dunno about from Europe but there's a massive markup on getting them from Japan almost no matter how you do it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: On the other hand, that's basically the only thing about the PS4 announcement that isn't a complete positive for me. And it's only a small problem, these days I don't play all that many PS3 games anymore anyway. I don't expect any new Yakuza or Super Robot Wars games in the next year and those are the only two PS3 exclusive (or at least not on 360/PC) series I really care about.

Just in case anyone hasn't already heard, Yakuza's done on the PS3. Yakuza 5 is the last one for PS3 and the franchise is moving to "next gen" (PS4), but we might see Y6 later this year (Tokyo Game Show).

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Everdraed posted:

The best part is that if a particular npc or animal annoys you, you can just utterly screw with it using your powers. Clover really spent a tremendous amount of time and effort animating their reactions:

This is so adorably awesome. Clover was such an amazing developer.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Just in case anyone hasn't already heard, Yakuza's done on the PS3. Yakuza 5 is the last one for PS3 and the franchise is moving to "next gen" (PS4), but we might see Y6 later this year (Tokyo Game Show).
Ah, well that's that. The only remaining questions are whether Super Robot Wars OGS3 that will move to the PS4 or stay on the PS3 (or move back to the PSP or something, or just disappear indefinitely), and whether Dark Souls 2 gets a simultaneous release on the PC as well. It doesn't even have a release date yet anyway though.

If those conditions are all met, then I don't really have any use for my PS3 beyond the next few months.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I bet Dark Souls 2 comes out early 2015 having been moved up to the next gen platforms.

That's what I want to happen, anyway. A 2 year development cycle for a game like that just isn't enough.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Policenaut posted:

Yes, but will we get Yakuza 5 on PS3 in USA?

(and Yakuza 1/2 hd collection please. Didn't Yakuza 2 come out after the PS3 was already out too?)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ineffiable posted:

Yes, but will we get Yakuza 5 on PS3 in USA?

(and Yakuza 1/2 hd collection please. Didn't Yakuza 2 come out after the PS3 was already out too?)
Yeah, I think it did, it was a very late PS2 game. And awesome for it.

edit: I finally got Metal Gear Rising delivered. So far I like it but not as much as Bayonetta. The camera especially is a complete bitch and is determined not to show me the enemy that is attacking me (only all the others), and the sub-weapon system is tacked-on and pointless.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 24, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I think it did, it was a very late PS2 game. And awesome for it.

The fact that Yakuza 2 and Persona 4 came out so late in the PS2 life (and after the PS3 was out) gives me hope that we'll see the rest of the Yakuza stuff comes out here, and we still have the possibility of a surprise announcement of Persona 5 for the PS3.

poo poo, Persona 3 AND 4 came out after the PS3 was out, and Yakuza 1 was only a few months before the PS3 was out. That and with how PS4 won't just easily transfer your PSN purchases/ps3 games, means I'll be holding on to my PS3 for a while and waiting over a year before considering a ps4.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there a 3rd party controller that's viewed as "the best" I just turned on my PS3 for the first time in years to play Ni no Kuni, but the controller is making me lose my mind.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

noirstronaut posted:

Is there a 3rd party controller that's viewed as "the best" I just turned on my PS3 for the first time in years to play Ni no Kuni, but the controller is making me lose my mind.
What are you looking for in a third party controller that the official Sony one is driving you bonkers?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Harlock posted:

What are you looking for in a third party controller that the official Sony one is driving you bonkers?

Weight and placement of the leftmost analog stick are giving me some serious cramps and it bothers me because the games I'm playing are incredibly fun, but I have to stop every 10 or 15 minutes to massage my hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

noirstronaut posted:

Weight and placement of the leftmost analog stick are giving me some serious cramps and it bothers me because the games I'm playing are incredibly fun, but I have to stop every 10 or 15 minutes to massage my hand.
I think I have seen a PS3 controller at walmart that has the layout of a 360 controller, is that what you want?

• Locked thread