Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Don Lapre posted:

I sold mine as jailbroken and just deleted my xbmc config.

Awesome. This is mainly why I was asking: I don't really want to restore then jailbreak again. Other than XBMC type stuff, are there any system files I should trash? Do Home Sharing credentials get stored anywhere after I log out, etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

vikingstrike posted:

Awesome. This is mainly why I was asking: I don't really want to restore then jailbreak again. Other than XBMC type stuff, are there any system files I should trash? Do Home Sharing credentials get stored anywhere after I log out, etc.?

I just logged out of everything and went back in and made sure it didn't show my email address.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So I was thinking about getting another apple tv to take on the road with me when i travel. My question is there a way to connect it to a hotels wireless where they require you to either sign in or accept some terms and conditions to connect to their wireless

well not so much to connect to the wireless but to connect to the internet, once you are on the wireless.. basically like a portal page

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

niss posted:

So I was thinking about getting another apple tv to take on the road with me when i travel. My question is there a way to connect it to a hotels wireless where they require you to either sign in or accept some terms and conditions to connect to their wireless

well not so much to connect to the wireless but to connect to the internet, once you are on the wireless.. basically like a portal page

Not sure on that, but if you have your laptop with you, you can sign into the wifi there and turn your laptop into a wifi hotspot, then connect to the laptop wifi from the appletv.

Something like this:
http://lifehacker.com/5983161/virtual-router-plus-turns-your-windows-8-pc-into-a-wi+fi-hotspot

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Alternately, you could probably use the laptop to spoof the AppleTV's MAC address, hit agree on the hotel's wifi welcome page, and then connect the AppleTV. This may not work on all hotel wifi systems, depending on how they work.

Sadly, these are both complicated nerdy solutions.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

vikingstrike posted:

When you guys are selling your ATV2, do you go ahead and jailbreak it after a restore? (I know most are on eBay)

I sold mine unjailbroken. People who want them know what they're doing with them (mostly).

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah anyone that is going to pay 200 bucks for an obsolete piece of 100 dollar electronics is going to know how to do whatever it is they want to do it. They aren't relying on you to do it for them. Heck, they might have something more specific in mind anyways (I have no idea what that would be in this case just saying)

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

In the UK I noticed that pre-broken ATV2s were going for ~£30 more than standard ones (at least that was the case a month ago).

Sum the Glad
Oct 3, 2003

Friend of mine just gave me his AppleTV2.

Firmware: 5.2

So I downloaded Seas0nPass and its giving me an error: "Process failed with reason: Filesystem patches failed!!"

Searched quite a bit for a solution, but to no avail. So now I'm trying to find a Greenpois0n download to use instead - but it seems none of their official jailbreaks work on AppleTV 2. Am I wrong?

Any information on how to jailbreak this thing would be greatly appreciated!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

geera posted:

My wife and I have talked about using one Apple ID for purchases, but we've been running on our own IDs for a few years now. Is there any practical way to switch and still access content (pretty much only apps and music) we've already bought on our individual IDs? It would be great if there was a way to merge two IDs in to one and carry over purchases to the new ID also.

Does anyone have a viable answer to this question? I'm interested as well.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Bucket Joneses posted:

Does anyone have a viable answer to this question? I'm interested as well.
I guess you could just subscribe to Match on what would be the main account and add all the music to it from the other account.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Less Fat Luke posted:

I guess you could just subscribe to Match on what would be the main account and add all the music to it from the other account.

I'm not talking about music. I'm talking about apps mostly.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bucket Joneses posted:

I'm not talking about music. I'm talking about apps mostly.

Apps... on the Apple TV? It's just a pipe dream.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Alright I guess I'll take it to the general iOS thread then...

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Since the Seas0npass with 5.2 pretty much took away XBMC and Plex, I reverted to 5.0.2 (right-click on the "Create IPSW" button in Seas0npass and choose your OS version). If anything, I'm happy it prompted me to change my ATV2's shorts, because everything is buttery now; BT keyboard be damned. I have iOS Remote app for that. I love the XeBoo XBMC skin.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

XeeBo was good until I stumbled upon ReFocus BIG. Definitely sticking with it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

How does HBO Go via airplay on an Apple TV look? Is it going to be 1080P or what ever or is it gonna be janky looking? I have a TiVo and a ps3 for streaming netflix/hulu/amazon but I'm thinking about adding in an ATV for HBOgo, airplay, and some video podcasts.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
My girlfriend has an Apple TV at her place, and I'm wondering if I can sign into my Netflix account over there. If I already have Netflix on my own Apple TV, is that gonna cause problems? Watching stuff at the same time shouldn't be an issue, since I only really use Netflix when I'm with her. So it'd be nice to have my account active on both ATV's, but I'm not sure if there's some cumbersome re-authorization process involved or if it's even doable in the first place.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

My girlfriend has an Apple TV at her place, and I'm wondering if I can sign into my Netflix account over there. If I already have Netflix on my own Apple TV, is that gonna cause problems? Watching stuff at the same time shouldn't be an issue, since I only really use Netflix when I'm with her. So it'd be nice to have my account active on both ATV's, but I'm not sure if there's some cumbersome re-authorization process involved or if it's even doable in the first place.

Nope, I've done this and it works just fine. Netflix even allows you to watch from two devices simultaneously on one account (last time I checked.)

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
Based on the Terms of Service, you can have Netflix activated on up to 6 different devices and watch simultaneously from two.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Nope, I've done this and it works just fine. Netflix even allows you to watch from two devices simultaneously on one account (last time I checked.)

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Based on the Terms of Service, you can have Netflix activated on up to 6 different devices and watch simultaneously from two.
Thanks! Nice to know it's just based on total number of devices. I was worried that you couldn't have it on two of the same type of device or something like that.

Hmm, though now that you mention it, I should deactivate at least one of my consoles before I try this. Apple TV's the only thing I really play Netflix on anymore, so I won't miss having it on Xbox or PS3.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 19, 2013

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They don't actually enforce the 6 devices thing anymore. I have that many devices with Netflix on it just in my room right now (Roku, Xbox, PS3, PC, iPad, iPhone) and I have more than them activated and have never had any issues.

Sum the Glad
Oct 3, 2003

Still trying to use Seas0nPass on OSX with firmware 5.2 and getting the error: "Process failed with reason: Filesystem patches failed!!"

So I'm right clicking to select firmware 5.02 and it lets me boot into DFU mode, but as soon as iTunes starts up Seas0nPass just hangs there forever.... Any ideas?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I have to have the power and USB connected on my Apple TV for it to do anything meaningful on my Mac. iTunes always takes forever to flash and then hangs, but it has always fully committed the modified firmware. Make sure you quit iTunes before you start seas0npass.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can an appleTV airplay audio out to an iphone? I'd like to use my ATV to watch movies, but I also have a 1 year old who id rather not wake up at night. I'd like to have the ATV output the video to my TV and audio to my iphone so I can listen through headphones.

ATV3 (latest firmware) and iPhone5 (non jailbroken) if it matters.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Portable iOS devices can't be AirPlay receivers without being jailbroken. Apple removes apps that add that functionality from the App Store.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you tim cook. Ah well there that goes. Can the above be done with a macbook and that airplay receiver app?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can the above be done with a macbook and that airplay receiver app?
I've never tried it, but I imagine so. I could try it tonight.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
There's no way that crazy setup wouldn't have major audio sync issues anyway. Have you considered a pair of wireless headphones plugged into your TV/receiver?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have, but I already have an ATV, an iphone and a set of headphones, so I was hoping I could use them to do this.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you tim cook. Ah well there that goes. Can the above be done with a macbook and that airplay receiver app?

If you have a macbook, why involve the ATV/Airplay in the mix?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Your ATV is never going to output its audio over the network without hacking or latency compensation.
If you can get your MacBook to AirPlay its screen via AirParrot or something then you can probably use VLC & Soundflower to step your audio latency forward and listen that way (from the MacBook). This excludes the phone but allows you private watching? Alternatively just bring the phone close to your face.

It would be cool if the newly-enabled bluetooth on the ATV could stream to BT headphones.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Looks like the dev team has XBMC working on 5.2 now.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=155388

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Legdiian posted:

If you have a macbook, why involve the ATV/Airplay in the mix?

This right here. What you're trying to do makes no sense whatsoever.

If you have an iPhone you can play Netflix/Hulu/connect to a NAS/share and watch whatever with gPlayer with no need for an ATV, same goes with a MacBook. You're making things unnecessarily complicated.

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 22, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I checked the app store, but just in case I'm missing something: Is there a Mac equivalent of the Remote application that would allow me to control the AppleTV from my Macbook?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
I'm only seeing mobile apps.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

What was the name of that one app that takes xvid and converts them to mp4? It has a simple name like xvidtomp4, but all my searches are taking me to skeezy corners of the web.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
I'm not familiar with that one, but I'd recommend Handbrake. It's the best anything->mp4 converter out there in my opinion and I know a lot of people in this thread use it to.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Turnquiet posted:

What was the name of that one app that takes xvid and converts them to mp4? It has a simple name like xvidtomp4, but all my searches are taking me to skeezy corners of the web.

On a Mac you can use MP4Tools.. It works in a fraction of the time handbrake does.

On a pc, MKV2VOB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
I am at a customers house who is complaining all his home videos are having playback problems on his Apple TV 2. The video plays fine but the audio is out of sync and plays back too fast (chipmunk voices). All his home videos were in AVI format captured on a Flip. They were converted to MP4 using Handbrake 9.6. They have always played fine on this hardware until the the latest batch of Apple TV/iTunes updates.

After much Googling I found that this is a common problem with video files encoded using Handbrake version 9.6 or newer. Jumping back to version 9.5 and re-encoding fixes the problem. I guess if you don't want to re-encode all your files you can also press and hold the select button while the movie is playing and pick the secondary audio track? I have not been able to test this because we are using a 3rd party control system and I don't have that particular IR code.

I just tried the MP4Tools that was posted and it seems to work. I also tested Handbrake 9.5 and that is working too. Hope this is helpful to someone!

• Locked thread