Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Conquistador posted:

I keep seeing spinoffs mentioned in this thread, what is the realistic chance that we'd get something set in this universe by the same producers? I assume the show is popular enough that they'd at least want to milk this for all its worth.

They've already said they're interested in doing a spin-off with Caesar. I'm assuming they're waiting to see how well this season does and how well the actor is perceived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
This episode was really hard to watch at parts, especially the tortured blonde roman woman that Ceasar put out of her misery. I was affraid that for a moment he would do as he was asked just to fit in even more, but when he started tearing up and gave her at least some much needed comfort before ending her suffering, it made Ceasar cool in my eyes. It made him seem more than some impulsive playboy with no emotions as I had feared.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

They've already said they're interested in doing a spin-off with Caesar. I'm assuming they're waiting to see how well this season does and how well the actor is perceived.

I want a spinoff where Gannicus becomes a Highlander and has adventures throughout all of time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Good brutal episode. I always wanted to like Crixus and I did like Naevia in S1 but it seems now the showrunners are just determined to make me want them dead

Well much if it how they decided to make the basic show arc follow the actual history of the revolt

The historical Crixus eventually stuck out on his own with his band of Gauls

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

etalian posted:

The historical Crixus eventually stuck out on his own with his band of Gauls

I thought they covered that last season by having Crixus leading his own band of merry men until he and Sparty teamed up to free Naevia.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

I thought they covered that last season by having Crixus leading his own band of merry men until he and Sparty teamed up to free Naevia.

Events of this week's episode sure makes it look like Crixus is going to be ditching out on his own again.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The episode also solved the Caesar knife scene riddle.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Caesar is quickly becoming my favorite here. One episode and he has everyone at the opposing site at each other's throats.

Also, gently caress Naevia and Crixus. "I owe everything to Spartacus...but screw him!" *repeats fifty times*

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 23, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Caesar is quickly becoming my favorite here. One episode and he has everyone at the opposing site at each other's throats.

Yeah he seemed somewhat boring in his debut episode but the recent episode made him much more interesting as a opponent.

He sort of fills the Ashur glorious scheming niche as someone who sows dissension and gets people to distrust each other as his primary ability.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

One thing I noticed about Caesar is that all his lines had a good "I want to kill my enemy, but I'm not saying who my enemy is because it's you" quality about them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

One thing I noticed about Caesar is that all his lines had a good "I want to kill my enemy, but I'm not saying who my enemy is because it's you" quality about them.

Virtually every line everyone says in this show is a double entendre.

What I actually noticed this episode is that I was hearing a lot of lines I could swear I've heard before. I guess that 4 seasons in the writers are running out of steam a bit with the dialogue.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

etalian posted:

The episode also solved the Caesar knife scene riddle.

Wait did I miss something? Was the penis knife riddle just him getting the slave mark so he could later infiltrate?

I was expecting some horrible STD or a very primitive penis reduction surgery (so he could avoid the fate of all characters with large penii).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Science posted:

Wait did I miss something? Was the penis knife riddle just him getting the slave mark so he could later infiltrate?

I was expecting some horrible STD or a very primitive penis reduction surgery (so he could avoid the fate of all characters with large penii).

Caesar got into city by claiming he cut off his slave mark which explains the confusing knife scene from the pilot.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Also, for anyone who doesn't know, the reason why Caesar doesn't like Cilicians.

quote:

On the way across the Aegean Sea,[28] Caesar was kidnapped by Cilician pirates and held prisoner in the Dodecanese islet of Pharmacusa.[29] He maintained an attitude of superiority throughout his captivity. When the pirates thought to demand a ransom of twenty talents of silver, he insisted they ask for fifty.[30][31] After the ransom was paid, Caesar raised a fleet, pursued and captured the pirates, and imprisoned them in Pergamon. Marcus Junctus, the governor of Asia, refused to execute them as Caesar demanded, preferring to sell them as slaves,[32] but Caesar returned to the coast and had them crucified on his own authority, as he had promised while in captivity[33]—a promise the pirates had taken as a joke. As a sign of leniency, he first had their throats cut.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_life_and_career_of_Julius_Caesar

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Alchenar posted:

Virtually every line everyone says in this show is a double entendre.

What I actually noticed this episode is that I was hearing a lot of lines I could swear I've heard before. I guess that 4 seasons in the writers are running out of steam a bit with the dialogue.

I'm just glad we got to hear a "Jupiter's Cock" again. It's been awhile.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
The "undefeated Gaul" sure does get his rear end kicked a lot.

VDay posted:

Is the dude playing the guy that Caesar befriended/tricked Robert Redford's son or something? I seriously can't not see him as that whenever he's in a scene and it's distracting as hell.

Chef Bromden fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 23, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chef Bromden posted:

The "undefeated Gaul" sure does get his rear end kicked a lot.

His injury in season 1 greatly reduced his character stats.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Irish Joe posted:

Except that historically Crixus dies after he splits off from Spartacus, so they had to find a way to cause a rift between both of them so Crixus could go off and get himself killed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think it's pretty clear that as far as the show is concerned, this is the setting for Spartacus's endgame. We're not going to see him getting chased up and down Italy. In fact I'm pretty sure this episode I heard Crassus hint at his 'preparations' (ie. the wall pinning the slaves in).

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I did find it a bit strange how shaken Caesar was with the woman he mercy killed but then instigating a city wide Roman-Purge and indirectly causing the deaths of almost all remaining romans there

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 24, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

etalian posted:

His injury in season 1 greatly reduced his character stats.

And Gannicus was always better.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

And Gannicus was always better.

Gannicus has one of the most overpowered special rules in Spartacus, followed by Spartacus. Crixus' is poo poo by comparison so its no surprise Gannicus was rolling him.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The show has always been biased against sword and shield characters. Spartacus sucked too before he switched to a duel-wielding build.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Akimbo Slice?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Scoobi posted:

Gannicus has one of the most overpowered special rules in Spartacus, followed by Spartacus. Crixus' is poo poo by comparison so its no surprise Gannicus was rolling him.

The Spartacus tie-in board game is pretty awesome.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Oenomaus would have slaughtered them all if didn't have that one poo poo unlucky dice roll while fighting a dude wearing eyeliner.

Space Pussy fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 24, 2013

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER
"The Edial's wife saw them free!" and "He was my friend you mad bitch!" May be up there as two of my favorite lines/deliveries of the series.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Man I am right there with you. She was my #2 to die after killing Attius last week but since Tiberius was forced to beat his gay lover life long friend to death (loving brutally) and Naevia took a rock to Gannicus' head she needs to burn. Or be crucified. To the actress' credit however I sure as poo poo can't see the original Naevia being as hosed up and full of rage as the current incarnation. I've never been a huge fan of Crixus since he's always been a cock for no other reason than he just wants to be. Case in point: "I would see belly filled with the blood of Romans." That might have worked when the rebellion was like 8 dudes hiding in a sewer but at this point logistics are as important as tactics. It just feels like he hasn't grown at all as a character since the last time he nearly starved to death at Vesuvius, and without the pirates they'd be equally as hosed here, perhaps even more so since Crassus sure as poo poo isn't Glaber.

Crixus hasn't grown as a character but I have no problem with that. Remember, he's the guy who wouldn't get on board with the revolution until not only did they rip his love away to be tortured but when they poised his rear end. Even after Naevia was ripped away he was still "I'll win my freedom and come for you." He's always been a thick headed idiot only focused on himself. Spartacus and everyone else around him have always just gothim I line. Not that Naevia has gone totally mad she's just encouraging Crixus' stupid rage at the same time Spartacus is walking a complicated moral line. It all makes good sense to me.

And gently caress Naevia. I defended her right up until now. I was even trying to forgive her for killing the blacksmith. But when I thought she had killed Gannicus it was all over. Also the sheer terror I had when I thought Gannicus was dead shocked me. I thought for sure I was prepared for everyone to die on this show. But now I'm not so sure.

I was kind of shocked Saxa ended up on the good guy side.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Agron is increasingly turning into a whiny bitch, I hope that slide doesn't continue but we'll see.
Hasn't Agron always kind of been this way? Even back inthe ludus with his brother. All the loving Gauls stuff and manipulating the camp to be filled with Germans. This season sort of feels like the main guys regressing back to their previous natures now that the immediate alleges of the war are gone. Spartacus wrestles with the right and wrong of it all, Crixus reverts to an angry rear end in a top hat, Gannicus is weary of all the pointless pain this war brings, and Agron's just insecure and pissy.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

Also, for anyone who doesn't know, the reason why Caesar doesn't like Cilicians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_life_and_career_of_Julius_Caesar

If the Caesar actor is good, this would be a boss as hell plot for a 'Gods of the Arena' type throwback.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

This season sort of feels like the main guys regressing back to their previous natures now that the immediate alleges of the war are gone. Spartacus wrestles with the right and wrong of it all, Crixus reverts to an angry rear end in a top hat, Gannicus is weary of all the pointless pain this war brings, and Agron's just insecure and pissy.

All the characters have been pretty consistent throughout the series. Crixus was always a self-centered classist rear end in a top hat. It's just that thanks to Naevia, he's changed the classes from sworn Battiatus bros vs. people without the mark to all slaves vs. Romans. He always used to treat recruits such as Ashur like less valuable than piss and poo poo, and now he treats Romans the same.

In contrast, Spartacus has always been more about valuing individuals and ethics rather than any established order of things. He has always been plotting and scheming to get the better of people in his way while trying not to become everything his wife would've hated.

Aggron has always been loyal and overprotective of people he cares about. First his brother, and now Nassir. He even followed Spartacus around like a shadow in this part episode. I think his experience with Romans killing his brother has made him even more distrustful of anyone messing with people he cares about.

Someone else posted an awesome character summary of Gannicus earlier in this thread which really nailed his character being a self-loathing one ever since the beginning.

Only Naevia kind of changed, but she didn't really have much of a character in season 1 anyway. Fortunately I expect she'll die soon anyway. Jupiter's COCK, I really hope she dies soon.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair, Spartacus' decision to let the Romans live is a horribly stupid strategic decision. Either kill them totally or expel them after the city is seized. It was a pointless expenditure of supplies and Crixus was totally in the right to balk at such stupidity.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

YouTuber posted:

To be fair, Spartacus' decision to let the Romans live is a horribly stupid strategic decision. Either kill them totally or expel them after the city is seized. It was a pointless expenditure of supplies and Crixus was totally in the right to balk at such stupidity.

The correct action would be to ransom them off in exchange for money and food.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Well, since Tiberius and everyone else is pretty much banished to the follower's camp following decimation, I kind of expect him to plot against/possibly kill Kore to get back at his father.

Man, a lot of these scenes were hard to watch but I did like the decimation/slaughter cutting back and forth. Tiberius' friend could've subbed for a Walking Dead zombie if his skin was a little more green too.

Saxa I think falls under Spartacus because of Gannicus though, not that she really cares too much whether they live or die. I don't think Gannicus has much care for the Romans who were held in the city but I can see why he'd be pissed for everyone slaughtering them because a) orders from Spartacus and b) because Attius was a friend of his so he doesn't really give a poo poo about 'the Romans are all evil' line too much.

Caesar is great though, I love how they played around with his good with crowds to sort of set up a split in the rebel groups.

edit: I am guessing (even though my history about this period is kinda lovely) that maybe Spartacus wants to team up with Heracleo to peace out on Sinuesse en Valle and take to pirateering for a while before landing away far from Rome to live out the rest of their lives? At this point I think he has to kind of see that trying to fight Rome might not work out.

Sober fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 24, 2013

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
well historically the Pirates do what they do best...

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zzulu posted:

I did find it a bit strange how shaken Caesar was with the woman he mercy killed but then instigating a city wide Roman-Purge and indirectly causing the deaths of almost all remaining romans there

He seems like an ends justifies the means kind of guy. Also he might view quick deaths as better than the torture/rape that woman endured.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
D-d-drat that was a bit gorier that I would have liked. I don't mind ridiculous kills in the arena, but that blonde Roman was bordering on Saw levels. Great episode though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

rapeface posted:

D-d-drat that was a bit gorier that I would have liked. I don't mind ridiculous kills in the arena, but that blonde Roman was bordering on Saw levels. Great episode though.

which blonde roman, trying to think what caesar did that was so bad. he mercy killed a woman.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I would assume he's talking about the abuse she had taken at the hands of the soldiers before Caeser. That was really disturbing. But then again the poster is named "rapeface" so that doesn't sound like something at all that would upset him so I don't know.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
ahhh yeah flaxen haired sister... yeah. Rapeface might be ironical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yeah I said before during last season, this show has some ridiculous bloodletting that you can't help but laugh when someone spills a gallon of blood after getting punched. The scene where the Romans torture the captured gladiator (and Lucretia spares Crixus) was genuinely horrifying, and so was the bloodied Roman lady getting fingered by Robert Redford. I have to commend the show for not constantly sugarcoating the rebellion though which is more of a perk for premium cable than titties really.

Also looking forward to a Caesar show too. I imagine Vercingetorix would be more the underdog but they already made a Verceingetorix movie

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/movie-reviews/druids.php

I want them to make it just so we can watch Crassus get molten gold poured down his throat :hist101:

Can you think of a scene that's more historically accurate AND appropriate for the show? Hopefully done while Parthian girls dance around stripper poles

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 24, 2013

• Locked thread