Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabetus
Jul 5, 2004
Figured it out (thanks baldurk)

http://bd.baldurk.org/3344 (fixed in the post and OP also)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Cloudy Court gives me a huge Band Land vibe from Ray-Man. Thankfully Cloudy Court doesn't make me tear my hair out one at a time.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Red Suit posted:

Cloudy Court gives me a huge Band Land vibe from Ray-Man. Thankfully Cloudy Court doesn't make me tear my hair out one at a time.

Ow, those repressed memories are causing me pain.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Ometeotl posted:

Ow, those repressed memories are causing me pain.

Great music though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-h4-D9zko8

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Seeing the bonus stage with that lone goomba far away is actually a really neat detail of keeping it all in the level. I like that. Also billboards love you and gently caress YES LUIGI YO!

Everytime Luigi offers himself up, I always pick him for a ride along :3: guy needs to get his adventure on yo, gotta show he's the BEST! Seriously though I'm really happy they give you that option.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

FinalGamer posted:

Seeing the bonus stage with that lone goomba far away is actually a really neat detail of keeping it all in the level. I like that. Also billboards love you and gently caress YES LUIGI YO!

Using something like the Yoshi hover trick, what happens if you flutter jump over to that bonus area? Does it act like regular level geometry, or does entering into a 'bonus area' via something other than a warp give rise to any sort of issue?

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
I can definitely see how those shadow Mario challenges are going to be a real pain in the butt later. And I have to say the Yoshi flight mechanics seem a bit...odd, but still pretty neat.

That Twin Peaks joke killed me. The only way I can picture this game ending now is with Mario looking into a mirror as Wario's reflection looks back at him, Mario saying "How's Peach? HOW'S PEACH?" before the credits roll.

That gum Mario likes is going to come back in style. :iiam:

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
Hotline Miami Galaxy: Wearing Yoshi's Face as a Mask gives you higher jumps!

KevinCow
Oct 24, 2009
It took me way too long to figure out why slowbeef was complaining about Diabetus's symbolism comment.

WAY too long.

ArgonMatrix
Jun 11, 2012

The Nonagram loves you, truly.
:siren:Challenge!:siren:

So I already had a challenge idea lined up for Tall Trunk Galaxy, namely completing the first star without the Blimp Fruit, but it seems I've also been dared to do Cloudy Court cloudless, so I went ahead and tried that one without knowing whether it was possible. See how it all pans out it this exciting double feature!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ArgonMatrix posted:

So I already had a challenge idea lined up for Tall Trunk Galaxy, namely completing the first star without the Blimp Fruit, but it seems I've also been dared to do Cloudy Court cloudless, so I went ahead and tried that one without knowing whether it was possible. See how it all pans out it this exciting double feature!

I would love to see how it all pans out but the video is private.

ArgonMatrix
Jun 11, 2012

Neruz posted:

I would love to see how it all pans out but the video is private.

Sorry about that. It should be public now!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ArgonMatrix posted:

Motherfucker.

:golfclap: good effort sir. I'll take that. How come the clouds didn't disappear again after you spin on them?

ArgonMatrix
Jun 11, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

How come the clouds didn't disappear again after you spin on them?

I'm not entirely sure, actually. As far as I can tell, when the cloud reappears it has to go through a little animation where it jiggles for a second. My guess that it's just incapable of disappearing during that animation because of some little programming quirk that goes way over my head.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I remember in the original trailer for Mario Galaxy 2, it showed a galaxy or at least planet entirely made up of musical instruments, so I was pretty disappointed when the drums and cymbal were all that remained of it. I wonder why they cut it out.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
...Holy poo poo. Those platforms in Cloudy Court are perfectly spaced so that you don't need the cloud flower to cross it.

Nintendo, you wonderful motherfuckers.

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

Andorra posted:

I remember in the original trailer for Mario Galaxy 2, it showed a galaxy or at least planet entirely made up of musical instruments, so I was pretty disappointed when the drums and cymbal were all that remained of it. I wonder why they cut it out.

I don't remember that trailer, but a musical instrument galaxy seems like it'd definitely have been a goldmine for awesome gameplay elements. As far as "cool little things in games" go, that cymbal is very high on my list of personal favorites, though.
It's really neat how it makes the sizzle sound when you walk on it and how the star bits are accompanied by the seremonious clash sound (someone better versed in percussion terminology can correct me if my cymbal sound terms are wrong).
I also can't get enough of the sound Yoshi makes when it's deflating. That and Mario's bewildered look as they ascend.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Both Mario Galaxies have some really nice props and settings, don't they? You've got your traditional snow, beach, dessert, and whatever levels but you also have things like Toy Time Galaxy from the first, which was just a total joy to play, and then you have the huge menacing space station based galaxies. I imagine they could make anything they wanted into a galaxy and it could be pretty fun!

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Cheapsteaks posted:

Both Mario Galaxies have some really nice props and settings, don't they? You've got your traditional snow, beach, dessert, and whatever levels but you also have things like Toy Time Galaxy from the first, which was just a total joy to play, and then you have the huge menacing space station based galaxies. I imagine they could make anything they wanted into a galaxy and it could be pretty fun!

That is basically the brilliance of the galaxy game's design - They allow Nintendo to just go hog wild with level designs, both aesthetic and gameplay related, without really worrying much about consistency.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

A jargogle posted:

That is basically the brilliance of the galaxy game's design - They allow Nintendo to just go hog wild with level designs, both aesthetic and gameplay related, without really worrying much about consistency.
Conversely, it's also the reason that anything other than Super Mario Galaxy 3 for the next 3D console platformer in the series runs the risk of feeling like a step backwards.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I trust EAD Tokyo knows what they're doing.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

A jargogle posted:

On the other hand, I'd say the consistency in Sunshine was a nice touch. Especially seeing the other levels in the distance.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

On the other hand, I'd say the consistency in Sunshine was a nice touch. Especially seeing the other levels in the distance.
That was my favourite thing about Sunshine. The fact that you FELT the world all around you, you really could see other areas far out to sea where you would be going, it had a wonderful consistency.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

FinalGamer posted:

That was my favourite thing about Sunshine. The fact that you FELT the world all around you, you really could see other areas far out to sea where you would be going, it had a wonderful consistency.

I definitely liked it as an improvement upon 64 in that regard. It made all the levels a cohesive unit, and definitely felt better than 64's smattering of portals to random levels, which were themselves smattering of random geometric shapes.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Death Bot posted:

I definitely liked it as an improvement upon 64 in that regard. It made all the levels a cohesive unit, and definitely felt better than 64's smattering of portals to random levels, which were themselves smattering of random geometric shapes.

64 had better exploration aspects though :colbert:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

64 had better exploration aspects though :colbert:

I know it's been said by hundreds before me but SM64 really, really didn't hold up well. Critically important to the rise of 3D gaming but not timeless like some other influential games.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I know it's been said by hundreds before me but SM64 really, really didn't hold up well. Critically important to the rise of 3D gaming but not timeless like some other influential games.

You are correct, 64 is definitely not timeless. You can see the ovbious seams where Nintendo were experimenting with 3D Platforming.

I just miss the whole "Enter a level, wander around, find a star completely out of order" aspect that 64 had and every Mario game since appears to lack.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Neruz posted:

You are correct, 64 is definitely not timeless. You can see the ovbious seams where Nintendo were experimenting with 3D Platforming.

I just miss the whole "Enter a level, wander around, find a star completely out of order" aspect that 64 had and every Mario game since appears to lack.

It's a trade-off between that and having consistent challenges for the star. Tiny-Huge Island may be neat in how there are stars near each other, but that means to get them you're pretty much starting out the level the same way each time. Lethal Lava Land has them all on separate islands, but as a result it's "island-hop to the star's challenge." They decided they wanted to go for more discrete levels so they could make things interesting knowing the direction you're coming from. I agree that something is lost in the process, but there's a gain as well.

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

Bruceski posted:

It's a trade-off between that and having consistent challenges for the star.

I think consistency definitely is a key word here, and I think it's also the main reason I never boot up 64 these days, but when my little brother visits we often revisit Galaxy 1 or 2.

A game world that's more open ended can provide an awesome atmosphere and make itself really immersive, but it also runs the risk of being overwhelmin, uninviting or just plain tedious. 64, at the time, felt like it hit the former mark, but re-playing it today feels like it's veered towards the latter to the point of not being enjoyable to me anymore. I bought the DS re-release when it came out thinking it'd be a fun nostalgia trip, but ended up never finishing it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

shinmai posted:

I bought the DS re-release when it came out thinking it'd be a fun nostalgia trip, but ended up never finishing it.

I suspect part of that is the dreadful controls. The game really does expect you to use the Touch Screen for control so using the D-Pad for motion feels like you're moving Maneuvering a truck.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Omnicrom posted:

I suspect part of that is the dreadful controls. The game really does expect you to use the Touch Screen for control so using the D-Pad for motion feels like you're moving Maneuvering a truck.

I don't know, I actually preferred the D-Pad controls. They made it easier to traverse the really narrow walkways in places like Whomp's Fortress, as well as the slides. Using the D-Pad for the camera though, that was kind of annoying.

Speaking of slides, I'm really looking forward to the next star in Tall Trunk Galaxy.

KevinCow
Oct 24, 2009

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I don't agree with this at all. I think Mario 64 held up astonishingly well considering how experimental and revolutionary so many of the things in that game were.

I'm not saying it's ageless. It's definitely shown its age. Level designs seem to mostly be the designers screwing around with 3D stuff until they finally find something that's kinda neat, which they would then place randomly in the world, and missions range from "Reach the top of the mountain 4 times!" to "Find these five completely random unmarked points in the world!"

But considering the number of conventions and mechanics that did not exist before it came out, how every other developer in the world was still trying to figure out what the hell to do with that newfangled third dimension, how the clunky, tank-controlled Tomb Raider was considered one of the better 3D games at the time, it's amazing that Mario 64 is still any fun at all to play.

Games that are experimental and revolutionary are usually quickly improved upon, so much so that they wind up looking basic and janky by comparison. Street Fighter 2 basically invented the fighting genre as we know it today, but would you really want to play it over Super Turbo? Nevermind the countless other fighting games since then. Or Wolfenstein 3D. It was outdated by the time Doom came out, and Doom itself started to seem pretty dated when shooters went true 3D and introduced mouse & keyboard control.

But Mario 64, despite its obvious flaws, is still a pretty enjoyable 3D platformer. As far as games that single-handedly created entire genres go, I'd say the only ones that remain more enjoyable to play than Mario 64 are Tetris (which is still the best puzzle game) and possibly the original Super Mario Bros.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
To me Mario 64 is like a bunch of giant playgrounds to run around collecting things in where you receive loose instructions on what to do. Sunshine placed more emphasis on the missions yet still gave you these playgrounds with obstacle courses strewn in for your enjoyment, while Galaxy gives more emphasis to obstacle courses while having some larger "playground" levels now and then. 3D land, I'd say, consists of the most obstacle course style levels. I do like how the obstacle courses encourage style, yet it is fun to have a huge level to root around in; I think that a certain fortress in Mario 64 is the perfect mix of these two (and I think Nintendo might agree on this!)

Though at the same time I'd love to see an open world Mario game, almost like Grand Theft Auto but with platforming instead of vehicular homicide. Throw in a bunch of warp pipes for transportation or possibly maybe even some sort of vehicles (Yoshi, riding the dolphins from Mario World around water) to make traveling it more easily; just don't do what Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts did and neglect platforming.

On the subject of Mario 64, I find it easier to pick up and play than some of the later N64 platformers like the BK games and DK64, to choose two second party examples. Sure BK and DK64 are more technically competent but they're also rather complex and they lack the mobility that Mario has. If anything, I'd say a character who approaches Mario in agility and ease of use might be Spyro. They're both quick characters who are good on both land and in air, but not so quick that they become difficult to control like Sonic has.

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

Cheapsteaks posted:

Though at the same time I'd love to see an open world Mario game, almost like Grand Theft Auto but with platforming instead of vehicular homicide. Throw in a bunch of warp pipes for transportation or possibly maybe even some sort of vehicles (Yoshi, riding the dolphins from Mario World around water) to make traveling it more easily; just don't do what Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts did and neglect platforming.

I would be prepared to part with a large portition of my wages for such a game. The closest thing to this I can think of is the Metroid Prime series, I would love to see Galaxy platforming in a Metroid Prime style context.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

shinmai posted:

I would be prepared to part with a large portition of my wages for such a game. The closest thing to this I can think of is the Metroid Prime series, I would love to see Galaxy platforming in a Metroid Prime style context.

There's a freeware game called Knytt that sort of accomplishes this. There's a not-freeware version on the PSN as well, but it isn't as good. But it's a 2-D game where you can only jump and can kind of cling to walls, so you have to jump and cling and climb and there are no bottomless pits, the world just keeps going in basically all directions.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Cheapsteaks, honestly Banjo-Tooie's a lot like that. Still holds up pretty well, too. Vast, expansive, interconnected levels.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
On the subject of good open-world platformers, I recently played Fluidity, a WiiWare game which I felt hit every mark by being an excellently crafted open-world platformer. Go try it out and see if you like it.

Also, if you have a 3DS, there's a sequel out for the platform.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Cryohazard posted:

Cheapsteaks, honestly Banjo-Tooie's a lot like that. Still holds up pretty well, too. Vast, expansive, interconnected levels.

Oh, trust me, I've played that and loved it. But honestly my problem is that Banjo isn't the most mobile character; he's not as acrobatic as Mario, which in a game as sprawling as BT is a bit of a detriment since you're walking around so much it feels like a chore. Even with means of teleporting around stages it still feels like a lot of the chore could be cut out with smaller, fuller stages. I think Mario would be better in more sprawling stages because he's made for jumping around like a fool. Even with Kazooie to add mobility Banjo can't achieve the flow Mario does.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

I just began replaying sm64; I tried playing the DS version a couple of weeks ago & it was aggravating to say the least*. As people have been saying, one of the best aspects of the game is the freedom that you have to go about achieving goals in different ways. One small example; for the "wall kicks will work" star, rather than triple jumping like you're supposed to, you can backflip & wallkick directly onto the ice bridge, or triple jump facing the other way & wall kick 3 times to get to the star. While the 100 coin stars are frequently aggravating (not as much as purple coin stars in Galaxy), if you see them as a culmination of all the other stars, consecutively revisiting with ease those areas that previously killed you five times just to get to is a pretty great way of showing your accomplishment. Granted, there are a number of levels that suffer in the design department, but the ones where mario really gets to move freely (Whomp's fortress and Tall Tall Mountain probably being the best examples of levels most evolved beyond "flat plane with several divots) are unparalleled in their freedom of movement.
To be fair, though, I never beat Super Mario Sunshine because of the difficulty, but I got fairly far, and still consider 64 the better free-roaming game.

*They changed it just enough so that you can't backflip into paintings after getting a star. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

take_it_slow posted:

To be fair, though, I never beat Super Mario Sunshine because of the difficulty

You are missing out on some A+ Bowser voice acting.

• Locked thread