Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

Speaking of easy final bosses, I just wrapped up a Normal Yunica run in Ys Origin and the last 4 or so boss fights were crazy easy. I think they were the only boss fights I didn't die at least once during.

Yup, the difficulty balance in Origins is completely hosed. It's even more sad with Hugo since his Burst is even more broken (on top of the game just not being designed around him in the first place). Toal's final boss is actually somewhat difficult though as I recall, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It depends on if you get the weapon upgrades or not. In most cases one upgrade is the difference between "impossibly hard" and "trivially easy." I can't remember if I played on hard or not, though, it might be different on other difficulties.

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

Is there any plans to release 7 on steam?

Wasper fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 22, 2013

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

ArfJason posted:

Having watched some Awesome Games Done Quick, I was wondering if Oath could have any interesting tricks to skip stuff?
I know you can, with a few well timed sword slashes, get over a jump that requires the Whirlwind in the volcano area.

Sadly, my run was pretty normal with no glitchy/sequence breaking kind of stuff. It was just a matter of knowing where to go, where to grind enemies so you are just strong enough to fight an upcoming boss, and completely running past all other enemies. The fact that you can save anywhere really made it more of a test of patience than a skilled speed run, saving takes about a second so you can save anytime you are about to run through a dangerous area. The person who had the fastest time posted their boss rushes on youtube, which was not only a huge help but probably the only part of the "speed run" that required skill.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Trails in the Sky is huge and pretty good and plays a liiitle like an SRPG but not quite.

I randomly bought this and loved it, they need to localize them sequels.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Wasper posted:

Is there any plans to release 7 on steam?

No native PC version exists and the game, as is, would look like rear end on a PC. The graphics were designed from the ground up for the PSP. So no, barring a PC or PS3 version with redesigned graphics, don't expect to see Seven on Steam.

On the flip side, though, because the bosses in particular are way more visually complex than other Ark Engine games and you can't really turn that down without making everything an indistinct mess, Origin is likely to remain a Steam exclusive! At best they'd have to make a Vita version, not a PSP one.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Latte Lottie posted:

The fact that you can save anywhere really made it more of a test of patience than a skilled speed run, saving takes about a second so you can save anytime you are about to run through a dangerous area.

What? Since when, don't you have to go to one of those statues to save?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

SpaceDrake posted:

No native PC version exists and the game, as is, would look like rear end on a PC.

I thought it got a Chinese PC release?

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

raditts posted:

What? Since when, don't you have to go to one of those statues to save?

You are correct. My memory is messed up because the time it takes to simply make a rush to the next statue is very short.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

sethsez posted:

It appears you are right:
http://xseedgames.com/forums/showthread.php?1413-Ys-Seven-PC-(Chinese-Version)
Why only a Chinese version though? That's odd.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

raditts posted:

It appears you are right:
http://xseedgames.com/forums/showthread.php?1413-Ys-Seven-PC-(Chinese-Version)
Why only a Chinese version though? That's odd.

Apparently that version is both pretty bad and stacked to the gills with malware-like DRM.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

gschmidl posted:

Apparently that version is both pretty bad and stacked to the gills with malware-like DRM.

I doubt the DRM would be an issue if it got brought over, but what else makes it bad?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

sethsez posted:

I doubt the DRM would be an issue if it got brought over, but what else makes it bad?

I'm curious about that too, one message board I found had someone saying they were able to translate most of the game by copying the script files from the PSP version so I can't imagine it's that different.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

sethsez posted:

Oh God, don't tell me that Sourcenext ported it. After Gyakuten Saiban, DMC3SE, RE4 and Onimusha 3 I don't think I could take another lovely-rear end Sourcenext port.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

sethsez posted:

That uses the assets straight from the PSP version with very little upscaling.

Believe me. It doesn't look all that good.

And the DRM situation for it is hilarious, as every single file has a SecuROM wrapper.

Every file. Without exception. The game has to call back to a SecuROM auth server every time it loads any assets.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think it's really a big deal having 7 on the PSP. You can probably get that system for pretty cheap these days. As for the Vita, well maybe the Vita doing so horribly will convince Falcom to go back to the PC? Either way I have one for P4G so I'm fine on that front, though I can understand other people being miffed.

For now I'd just be interested in Ys 6 on Steam to see where that differs from the PS2 version.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Falcom is apparently onboard for the PS4, so they might be targeting that for some future games.

On the note of Ys7, has there been anything in the department of PSP emulation yet?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

On the note of Ys7, has there been anything in the department of PSP emulation yet?

There's a couple of PSP emulators of varying quality (PCPSP and JCPSP), but whether they'll run Ys SEVEN (or run it at 60 frames like it needs) is another thing entirely.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's a couple of PSP emulators of varying quality (PCPSP and JCPSP), but whether they'll run Ys SEVEN (or run it at 60 frames like it needs) is another thing entirely.

Or run any game correctly for that matter.

Nate RFB posted:

I don't think it's really a big deal having 7 on the PSP. You can probably get that system for pretty cheap these days. As for the Vita, well maybe the Vita doing so horribly will convince Falcom to go back to the PC? Either way I have one for P4G so I'm fine on that front, though I can understand other people being miffed.

One could only hope Falcom gives their PSP and Vita titles the same treatment as bringing Trails in the Sky games over to PS3 in "HD remasters" or something to that effect. Also NIS has shown that converting PSP games to Steam PC titles (ClaDun X2) is definitely possible so it's still out there for picking.

Nate RFB posted:

For now I'd just be interested in Ys 6 on Steam to see where that differs from the PS2 version.

The game runs a lot better than the PS2 version and has none of the awful crap like the VA and 3d models. The only thing some people might complain about is the PC version does not have Alma's Trials but I think that's actually good because Alma's Wing actually works as a teleport item rather than a one-way ticket to hell.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

toddy. posted:

Or run any game correctly for that matter.

Actually, well over a year ago I ran Another Century's Episode Portable perfectly fine on JCPSP. Which is weird, because of all developers I rank FROM pretty high in the "do wacky poo poo with their code" category.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Pretty sure in the PS2 version when you use Alma's Wing, it gives you the option to do one or the other (teleport out of your current dungeon, or go to the trials, that is). Losing the Trials isn't a big loss at all really though either way, they're basically like little bonus challenge dungeons.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011
Last time I tried Ys 7 on JPCPS it was fairly buggy but technically playable and probably possible to finish. It's possible to run it at a high resolution but the resolution goes to poo poo as soon as you change screens, which is kind of bizarre. JPCSP does run a lot of games fine and can play them at high resolutions, and the Legend of Heroes games worked pretty well for the few minutes I tested them.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
Until recently, the very first and only Ys game I had ever played was Wanderers from the Ys on the SNES, when I was a wee tiny The Mimic. I didn't get far, and I didn't really enjoy it deeply so I never tackled the rest of the series. Until now. I grabbed Chronicles+ on Steam, and marathoned Ys 1 in two sittings. My god, that was fun as hell! The music was perfect, the graphics and art were perfect, the gameplay was perfect. The only thing that soured it is a bit of backtracking in the tower, but otherwise it was fantastic start to finish.

I figure I'll play Ys II when I can and move on to... Oath in Felghana, which is a remake of Wanderers and next in the series? On Steam, there's also Origin, I understand. And there seems to be a PC version of Ark of Nephistim, but it isn't on Steam? It sounds like it'll be a pain to get, and the OP gives good reason to avoid the PS2 version.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So I'm playing Ys 1 and get to the boss that breaks into small bats and I am just about ready to uninstall this piece of poo poo.

It was going so well too, I was really enjoying it up until this point and then this comes along. What's the tip here? I just run around in circles and wait for those two nanoseconds where the boss is vulnerable. Doesn't help that none of the rings work against the boss.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Mimic posted:

The only thing that soured it is a bit of backtracking in the tower

Having to go back to Luta (I keep trying to call him Luther) was such a pain in the rear end.

The Mimic posted:

I figure I'll play Ys II when I can and move on to... Oath in Felghana, which is a remake of Wanderers and next in the series?

Yessir.

The Mimic posted:

On Steam, there's also Origin, I understand. And there seems to be a PC version of Ark of Nephistim, but it isn't on Steam? It sounds like it'll be a pain to get, and the OP gives good reason to avoid the PS2 version.

Falcom are re-releasing it to be Windows 8 compatible, but that won't (likely) work with the patch due to having different executables. The PS2 version isn't that bad, honestly, especially if you have the US version and use the codes to use the PC stuff.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Red Mundus posted:

So I'm playing Ys 1 and get to the boss that breaks into small bats and I am just about ready to uninstall this piece of poo poo.

It was going so well too, I was really enjoying it up until this point and then this comes along. What's the tip here? I just run around in circles and wait for those two nanoseconds where the boss is vulnerable. Doesn't help that none of the rings work against the boss.

Grind up to max level on the enemies right outside that room. It doesn't take too long really. The balance is kind of screwed up in this version of Ys1, but it's much much better in Ys2.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I've maxed out everything and have the silver sword, armor and shield. The biggest issue is that the window to hit the boss is so small and when I do hit him he breaks into bats and covers the screen. None of the rings make any difference either.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That boss is basically an endurance run. You try to keep him on the top of the screen, hit him one time from below, then avoid the bats. Rinse and repeat. It just takes forever.

The Mimic posted:

I figure I'll play Ys II when I can and move on to... Oath in Felghana, which is a remake of Wanderers and next in the series? On Steam, there's also Origin, I understand. And there seems to be a PC version of Ark of Nephistim, but it isn't on Steam? It sounds like it'll be a pain to get, and the OP gives good reason to avoid the PS2 version.
As long as you avoid the PAL version, which doesn't have the the cheats to convert the game to "Japanese" mode, the PS2 version is just fine. The 3D models are kind of eh but the gameplay is just fine.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

I've maxed out everything and have the silver sword, armor and shield. The biggest issue is that the window to hit the boss is so small and when I do hit him he breaks into bats and covers the screen. None of the rings make any difference either.

Here's a video of it being done on nightmare - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URChh1eVoBM

The idea is to lead the bats around in a square, keeping the bats close enough so you can hit it when it transforms. Stop once or twice before you get to the end of a corner(it helps gather the bats so you'll be safe before you switch walls), then quickly run along the wall to the other side and repeat.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I finished Ys 1 not too long ago and man, gently caress that guy. It did not take too many tries to figure him out but even then it takes too long.

Now I am getting to the end of 2 and I can not recall using melee on bosses so far. Do you need the fire wand for all of them?

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Mindblast posted:

I finished Ys 1 not too long ago and man, gently caress that guy. It did not take too many tries to figure him out but even then it takes too long.

Now I am getting to the end of 2 and I can not recall using melee on bosses so far. Do you need the fire wand for all of them?

As far as I remember the later bosses you do.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Looks like today's Steam sale is for Ys: Origins, for anybody that was on the fence about trying the series (or who otherwise doesn't have it yet).

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Looks like today's Steam sale is for Ys: Origins, for anybody that was on the fence about trying the series (or who otherwise doesn't have it yet).

I wouldn't have noticed this without you. 60% off is kickass. Thanks very much.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Alright, just got to the final boss in Ys 1 and between laughing fits over how loving stupid this all is, I gave up. Even 1987-me would've thrown in the towel because holy Christ-eating-poo poo is that bad. The difficulty didn't even bother me. It was the whole yakety sax routine of having to run around in circles.

Doesn't really matter as Ys 2 is shaping up to be much better. Looking forward to playing through Ys 2 and then hitting up the Ys: The Oath in Felghana remake that I heard was really good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Suck it up, equip some silver equipment, and run through that flying fucker :colbert: Though, always good to see others see what's what in Ys I & II. The thread should be re-titled "Everybody Loves Dying".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

The thread should be re-titled "Everybody Loves Dying".

So Much For Today - Ys Megathread

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Got all my spiffy silver equipment and boss still gives no fucks.

Oddly enough, I loved Darm tower. I could actually see where I was going and it had those neat little balconies where I could regenerate health. I cackled like a madman when I walked down that one narrow hallway and saw at least seven enemies facing me. It was cool not having to line up my attacks and see how powerful I became by that point. Was bouncing around like a pinball in there though.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

The thread should be re-titled "Everybody Loves Dying".

Dogi Souls.

Red Mundus posted:

Alright, just got to the final boss in Ys 1 and between laughing fits over how loving stupid this all is, I gave up.

I actually thought the boss was really sly and entertaining, although I died a poo poo-ton of times myself. I'm not sure if the rings made a difference, but when I switched to Power, I won. The floor is really the final boss, here. When I wasn't dying from standing where the floor fell out, I was dying because I hemmed myself in. If you'd like to see a newbie to the series dying repeatedly, I went so far as to record my last three or four tries, to document my suffering. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0CgBuoIjh0 The trick is to try to run along with him, not against him, to score multiple hits in a short time, I guess.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Red Mundus posted:

Alright, just got to the final boss in Ys 1 and between laughing fits over how loving stupid this all is, I gave up. Even 1987-me would've thrown in the towel because holy Christ-eating-poo poo is that bad. The difficulty didn't even bother me. It was the whole yakety sax routine of having to run around in circles.

Doesn't really matter as Ys 2 is shaping up to be much better. Looking forward to playing through Ys 2 and then hitting up the Ys: The Oath in Felghana remake that I heard was really good.

Fighting this boss over and over with my brother, and getting just a little closer to winning again and again until we made it is honestly one of the high points of my childhood. I remember exclaiming to my father that we got his health "as low as a wolf's"

The Steam sale today makes me overjoyed that I held off from picking up Origins when I bought Chronicles the other day. I need to take the time to finish Ys II and give it a shot.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I usually just recommend people play YsI on Normal difficulty at most as the difficult balance really just is weird as hell. YsII is great on Hard though, feels like pretty much the perfect setting.

I can't remember, is it actually possible to hurt Dark Fact without the Silver gear equipped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Is everybody in Ys 1 allergic to giving directions or something? "Go find my younger brother" Yeah thanks, fucker. Might help if you pointed me in his general direction or something.

Oh well, at least he gave me the silver sword. :black101: Now to take on that stupid loving bat.

• Locked thread