Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Lime posted:

Speaking of slim PS2s, the later models are supposed to be incompatible with a bunch of PSX games and some PS2 games, but I've played Driver on my SCPH-75001 without issue. Out of curiosity, can anyone actually confirm incompatibility with any these games?

Well I'm a bit aggravated to see Lunar 2 on that list. I really didn't feel like getting another god drat system out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Akileese posted:

Well I'm a bit aggravated to see Lunar 2 on that list. I really didn't feel like getting another god drat system out.

Why hasn't Lunar 2 been ported to a more modern system yet? Like even the Vita at this point would have been optimal.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Why hasn't Lunar 2 been ported to a more modern system yet? Like even the Vita at this point would have been optimal.

Probably because Silver Star Harmony bombed. Maybe Victor Ireland and MonkeyPaw can get the PSX version put up on PSN.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Just a heads up but doujindance has a svid/rgb duo-r up on ebay right now
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-PC-Engine-DUO-R-S-RGB-TG16-model-New-Lens-/200900617785

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Well, that didn't take long, sold already.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yyyyyep. :smith: Not that I was really gonna buy it, but... I dunno, would've been nice to dream. :P

Such a nice looking console.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Today I learned that strategy games are really hard if you don't understand the language they're presented in.

Gihren's Greed, why do you have to be japanese only :smith:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Hey so does anyone know about the Uncharted Waters games? I have Uncharted Waters for the NES and SNES, and the local shop has New Horizons for the SNES. If I were going to play one/some of these, should I start with the NES release or just play the latest one?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

HKR posted:

Today I learned that strategy games are really hard if you don't understand the language they're presented in.

Gihren's Greed, why do you have to be japanese only :smith:

if you have an Ipad/Iphone get one of the japanese translator programs and hold it up to the TV. Alternativly nearly every Japanese game of merit has some jerk who bothered to translate everything http://girensgreed.wikia.com/wiki/Giren%27s_Greed_Wiki .

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I've learned that I am absolutely horrible at older games. Super Mario World and FFVI both are kicking my rear end in places. Kind of embarrassing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ularg posted:

I've learned that I am absolutely horrible at older games. Super Mario World and FFVI both are kicking my rear end in places. Kind of embarrassing.

Final Fantasy 6 promotes grinding. Just grind in places and once you can get to Dinosaur Island just grind until you're max level.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!
Just got back from the Gamer Xchange, and this was my haul.

Mickey Mousecapade
Game of Life DX
Super Robot Wars F
Super Robot Wars F Final

All said, about $20 out of pocket, so that's pretty awesome for me. Unfortunately, I got home and some asshat sniped the ebay auction for the modded Sega Saturn I was going to buy in lieu of fixing and then modding my ex-cockroach infested one with only 5 seconds left on the auction. This is like the third time I've tried to pick up a Saturn, and I'm just about done trying. eStarland will sell me one for $100, but I was wondering if there was anywhere else goons would recommend for buying a modded Saturn online.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I had Mickey Mousecapade when I was a kid, and it was probably the hardest game I had. I did manage to beat it once, when I got an invincibility powerup just before entering the witch's room, killing her by touching her.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
If you're good with a soldering iron Saturns are pretty easy to mod. If you have the right kind of Saturn it's like maybe 1 wire to install.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
The Saturn is so easy to mod, you could do it with conductive glue if you were that scared of soldering.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

ACID POLICE posted:

The Saturn is so easy to mod, you could do it with conductive glue if you were that scared of soldering.

The saturn is so easy to mod it's actually harder to find the ISOs and blank CD-Rs and the proper burning software to use.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Just got back from the Gamer Xchange, and this was my haul.

Mickey Mousecapade
Game of Life DX
Super Robot Wars F
Super Robot Wars F Final

All said, about $20 out of pocket, so that's pretty awesome for me. Unfortunately, I got home and some asshat sniped the ebay auction for the modded Sega Saturn I was going to buy in lieu of fixing and then modding my ex-cockroach infested one with only 5 seconds left on the auction. This is like the third time I've tried to pick up a Saturn, and I'm just about done trying. eStarland will sell me one for $100, but I was wondering if there was anywhere else goons would recommend for buying a modded Saturn online.

Make a SA-mart thread and see if you can buy one off a goon? Maybe someone will remember they have one in their closet and will sell it to you.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
My Rakuten order of a bajillion games shipped. Total shipping was $120 bucks. :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: I may actually be out of Japanese SNES games to get. The only real pressing one would be Super Metroid but as far as Final Fantasy 4, Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia, and the Dragon Quests go I have versions of them on other systems already.

I too have been tempted to delve into the Sega Saturn just for Panzer Dragoon Saga(since the Japanese version is real cheap and common). But supposedly action replay for the saturn is almost as much as the system itself.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

WendigoJohnson posted:

My Rakuten order of a bajillion games shipped. Total shipping was $120 bucks. :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: I may actually be out of Japanese SNES games to get.

:staredog: Just how many games did you buy? Also gimme names or even better, photos.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

WendigoJohnson posted:

Just grind in places and once you can get to Dinosaur Island just grind until you're max level.
Alternatively, just abuse the gently caress out of Top Secret Area (assuming you did find it) and/or find a level where you can get a blue Yoshi.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

Practically everyone correctly pointed out posted:

The saturn is so easy to mod it's actually harder to find the ISOs and blank CD-Rs and the proper burning software to use.

So I'm sure that with some trepidation I could install the mod chip, but I'd have to buy it ($40ish + some shipping) buy a cheap sodering iron ($5?) and then replace the CD drive in my Saturn (another $20ish + shipping) and at that point, I'd almost have spent as much as if I'd just gone looking around for a modded Saturn being sold. And I've saved myself the work.

Unless there's somewhere I don't know about that sells this mod chip stuff for cheaper, I'm much more inclined to just drive to eStarland tomorrow on my way home and drop the $100 on a system that is modded, works and has an exchange policy.

I'm also quite lazy and worried that a successful mod would lead to further :retrogames: projects.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Crimson Harvest posted:

Hey so does anyone know about the Uncharted Waters games? I have Uncharted Waters for the NES and SNES, and the local shop has New Horizons for the SNES. If I were going to play one/some of these, should I start with the NES release or just play the latest one?

Uncharted Waters: New Horizons has a Genesis and SNES release. I've played both extensively and the SNES version is a little bit better. Excellent game that tricks you into learning stuff! (but don't believe everything, Seville is not really the capital of Spain).

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Next project is going to be a 25 input 1 output AV switcher (Composite, S-Video and Component). Finally, I can replace these three boxes with one giant box that probably takes up more space then the 3 do currently.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ularg posted:

Final Fantasy games are all about the grind.

Mario World, well, it's a 2D platformer. Some people are good at 2D platformers, some never get the hang of them. It's really easy as far as 2D platformers go, so don't give up, you can probably beat it. Maybe you'll even get good at it and be able to play and enjoy some other older 2D platformers.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

jyrque posted:

:staredog: Just how many games did you buy? Also gimme names or even better, photos.

Half of the games names were poorly translated. They didn't even pop up while going through japanese wikipedia. I mostly picked them because they were A) Cheap and B) featuring some strange artwork or anime on them.

But off the top of my head stuff that stuck out as interesting was:

Super V.G.(it looks like it's a fighting game)
Blues Bastard(Brawler like River City Ransom)
Battle Master(another fighter)
Tokimeki memorial(dating sim, Game Center CX featured this brutal brutal punishing game)
Gundam F91(Gundam RPG for a dollar)
Aniki Bakuretsu Brawl(Really strange fighting game)
Natsuki Crisis Battle(yet another fighter, because I really like fighting games)
Princess Minerva(I think this is an RPG)
Legend Uniform(it's another fighter but it looked like the precursor to Arcana Hearts)

I also got a bunch of games with horses on them, I assume they're racing sims. One had the samurai Pizza Cats on it and I picked that because a there were no good SPC games released in America ever.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 25, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

WendigoJohnson posted:

Tokimeki memorial(dating sim, Game Center CX featured this brutal brutal punishing game)

Tokimemo has more bombs in it than a terrorist plot. Also the scenario was written by Hideo Kojima and for the CD versions Igarashi wrote a themesong. It's like Konami's dirty secret.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I grabbed Battle Master as well in my Rakuten order after watching some youtube gameplay. The best thing is they didn't even pretend for it to be a Street Fighter clone. The main character literally says "hadoken" and "shoryuken" during his special moves.

Also my weekend project is finally beating Double Dragon 3. I made it to stage 5 and died because I no longer had Billy and his spinkick of doom.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I am seriously considering getting a White Japanese Saturn with my next check. Never had the white, had a grey Japanese and a Black US.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Watch Rakuten unless you can find one local, they're ripoff central on eBay. If you have a friend in Japan he could get them super cheap.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Despite the nearly two feet of snow around here, the post office still delivered this week, showing that they have guts and glory for the job after all.

And what did arrive, but my first ever console game import.

Straight from the land of sugoi kawaii desune.

And my haul was.. JP Final Fantasy 7? And not even the international version?

A bit of explaining is in order, I suppose. After I got into RPGs in the 90's, FF7 coming out was the most exciting thing short of the revival of Jesus. I didn't even have a PSX, so I RENTED one to play it. And when I could no longer afford to do that, I saved up and bought the PC version. And when my awful computer struggling to run it wore on me, I eventually managed to finally get a PSX and the real deal for myself. Beat it several times. And I loved it. And I still do, unironically, lego graphics and all.

At some point, I got the notion that since I love the game so much, and know it inside and out, I could probably play the Japanese version and still have fun. (It wouldn't be nearly the first RPG I struggled through not knowing even a word of the language.) And I was also very curious about how the first Japanese players experienced it, since as most of us know the US version of FF7 was actually bolstered quite a bit for it's release, not only were Ruby and Emerald WEAPONS added as boss fights, originally you didn't even fight Diamond WEAPON, and there were less CG movies, etc. (The International version released later gave them the US additions to play with.) So I wanted to play the "unupgraded" FF7 just to have a slightly different experience.

I actually looked for the FF7 base version ROM :filez: at some point, even, but ironically enough, I couldn't actually FIND it; every version ended up just being from the international edition.

So thus, I realized just this year.. "Wait a minute. RPGs are cheap and plentiful over there, I can probably just buy the drat thing". And thus, here we are. And drat am I impressed with how clean and scratch-free used Japanese games are. Now, if only I had the free time to dive into a playthrough of this.

Also, another thing I bought for obvious reasons.

Look out, retro modding scene. :getin:

WendigoJohnson posted:

Aniki Bakuretsu Brawl(Really strange fighting game)

If it's this, then I think you mean "Really amazing fighting game".
http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/the-weirdest-fighting-games--113266.0.html

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Code Jockey posted:

Yyyyyep. :smith: Not that I was really gonna buy it, but... I dunno, would've been nice to dream. :P

Such a nice looking console.

I still think this is the best looking:

though I still don't know if it plays the same number of games as the Duo R.

HKR posted:

Next project is going to be a 25 input 1 output AV switcher (Composite, S-Video and Component). Finally, I can replace these three boxes with one giant box that probably takes up more space then the 3 do currently.

This is interesting but how will you deal with stuff like SCART?

Man as it is my one TV has one 5-way component switch, 2 HDMI switches, a 5-way SCART switch, and I am running out of room.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Can someone with a xrgb-mini try a system they have that is both rgb & svid and comment on the difference in quality? Also how does nes/famicom look on it?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

flyboi posted:

Also how does nes/famicom look on it?
It does what it can, but honestly, it's not a miracle worker. Unless you've done a PPU swap (or are one of the very few people in existence with a Famicom Titler) and can do RGB out, it can only do so much with a composite signal. Any pattern that's high-luma but small variations in chroma is going to look like rear end. (For example, the white-on-cyan parts of the ceiling in Kung Fu.)

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

Sorry for the lovely scan quality, this was what happened when my kid-self tried to scan my Game Players magazines for posterity. Click for legible text and red and black Virtual Boy graphics.

"Virtual Boy: The First Five." More like the only five...

Unreleased Sonic game, still convinced it would have been awesome. You can tell how little the developers had to show the writers at the time of the story by the fact that the middle screenshot on the second page is the same as the top-right screenshot on the same page, the latter is just zoomed and cropped (there are 2 more pages of renders and wire-frame models).

\/\/ Yeah I noticed that. I also just noticed that the name of her father, who calls Sonic to action, is "Professor Gazebo Boobowski." Possible spin-off anime: The Big Boobowski.

TheMammoth fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 25, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

TheMammoth posted:

Unreleased Sonic game, still convinced it would have been awesome. You can tell how little the developers had to show the writers at the time of the story by the fact that the middle screenshot on the second page is the same as the top-right screenshot on the same page, the latter is just zoomed and cropped (there are 2 more pages of renders and wire-frame models).

Oh good, they were already kicking the furry stuff into high-gear, too. Ugh.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

Can someone with a xrgb-mini try a system they have that is both rgb & svid and comment on the difference in quality? Also how does nes/famicom look on it?

I would have looked, but there are surprisingly few systems that really have clear avenues for this, especially since most systems need to be hacked for a least one of those outputs (which raises doubts about possible imperfections in the mod or its method). On top of that, the cables can have issues, especially given that so few systems had official S-Video and/or SCART cables available. Like, I have a 2chip SNES, a Japanese 21pin SNES cable and a monster S-Video cable if you want me to test and even post screengrabs, but I think something in that chain is going to add doubt to the results. I'm not 100% sure if my 21pin cable is an official Nintendo cable or not.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I still think this is the best looking:

though I still don't know if it plays the same number of games as the Duo R.

This is interesting but how will you deal with stuff like SCART?

Man as it is my one TV has one 5-way component switch, 2 HDMI switches, a 5-way SCART switch, and I am running out of room.

I don't deal with SCART because it throws in too many wrenches in doing anything involving US based hardware. I know I can never get the best RGB looking quality but S-Video looks pretty drat good.

If I ever do go crazy and do something with RGB/SCART I'll probably go SCART->Component but that won't be happening.

Also, RCA jacks are expensive if you're buying 26 jacks x 6 colors :smith:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

HKR posted:

I don't deal with SCART because it throws in too many wrenches in doing anything involving US based hardware. I know I can never get the best RGB looking quality but S-Video looks pretty drat good.

I'd be right with you if S-Video weren't a rarity on current TVs too.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

univbee posted:

I'd be right with you if S-Video weren't a rarity on current TVs too.

Ceeeeeeeee-aaRRRRRR-Teeeeeeeeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh good, they were already kicking the furry stuff into high-gear, too. Ugh.

Seriously. Furries already nut over Cream and Rouge (and pantsless Sally), that skinny jeans/tube top hedgehog would have had fans in a tizzy.

Although that Bioware RPG was disappointing, the dialog options for Sonic were perfect. Every choice was basically "douche, more douche, YOU'RE TOO SLOW."

• Locked thread