Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

I didn't mean for those companies specifically, I mean publishers are going to be much stricter with developers in the future. Silicon Knights hadn't produced a good game since Eternal Darkness, and Gearbox hasn't since Opposing Force.

Hey now, Borderlands 1&2 where great. As bad as DNF and A:CM are, they don't invalidate the rest of Gearbox's library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Improbable Lobster posted:

Hey now, Borderlands 1&2 where great. As bad as DNF and A:CM are, they don't invalidate the rest of Gearbox's library.

The only other notable thing they've done is a Half Life mod. I could easily forget the rest of their titles.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

I haven't played BL2 yet but I found the first pretty boring. Maybe I hate fun.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lord Lambeth posted:

No it's not just you. BL1 is a space western trying way to hard to be funny and with gameplay that's basically FPS Diablo. And by that I mean it's a game focused on getting loot when 99% of the loot is completely poo poo.

BL2 is that with even worse writing and even more unfunny jokes.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

BL1 is a space western... with gameplay that's basically FPS Diablo.

This concept is actually really appealing to a lot of people which, you know, accounts for the popularity of Borderlands.

It has a lot of problems but dismissing it as a poo poo game like some people here seem to be doing is pretty silly, especially when the primary reasons are "I don't like the jokes or Diablo-style games". It doesn't really try to hide what it is.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zombies' Downfall posted:

This concept is actually really appealing to a lot of people which, you know, accounts for the popularity of Borderlands.

It has a lot of problems but dismissing it as a poo poo game like some people here seem to be doing is pretty silly, especially when the primary reasons are "I don't like the jokes or Diablo-style games". It doesn't really try to hide what it is.

I was stating why I personally didn't so yeah you're 100% right it is just my opinion.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I won't stop liking Borderlands 1 and 2 over this poo poo, but it will make me reevaluate my attitude towards Gearbox and my decision to get anything from them in the future.

And Silicon Knights (or rather Denis Dyack) were shady as gently caress, basically using their success on Eternal Darkness to get new projects and stretch out deadlines as far as possible, while putting in a bare minimum of work. Not to mention they flat out stole source code (the unreal engine) while suing the the owner of said source code.

http://kotaku.com/5955223/what-went-wrong-with-silicon-knights-x+men-destiny

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 25, 2013

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

I didn't mean for those companies specifically, I mean publishers are going to be much stricter with developers in the future. Silicon Knights hadn't produced a good game since Eternal Darkness, and Gearbox hasn't since Opposing Force.

I'm just really wondering if Sega could sue Gearbox for a mis-use of funds. Sure it could be tough to prove unless a couple of people come forward and testified but would really lay down that developers wouldn't be allowed to do this kind of crap again.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
That would depend on whether the money is a 'fee' or if it's funding.

If Sega just went 'here's the cash, give us a game in return' then legally I don't think they have anything to go on. If they set milestones and whatever then Sega can argue that Gearbox didn't meet those criteria.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lord Lambeth posted:

Borderlands is really only fun with friends, by yourself it kinda falls apart with you running long distances to objectives, enemy types are few and far between and repeat a lot and not the greatest shooting mechanics. I'd never play these games alone.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Borderlands is a great concept that Gearbox managed to not gently caress up. Now that the formula is out there I'm interested in seeing if someone else can make make a great execution of it rather than a competent one.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I'd have liked Borderlands a lot more if it didn't try so hard to be funny and stopped explaining a bunch of its jokes. Like, the concept behind some of the jokes is funny but the execution is pretty bad a lot of the time.

A bunch of people feel like this, though, and I think Anthony Burch gets an unfair amount of hate for it in BL2, even if not realising arrow the knee jokes would be out of fashion by the time the game came out was kinda obvious.

Playing the games after this AC:M does leave a funny taste in my mouth, but BL1 and BL2 are still pretty decent. I will be more wary of BL3 because of this -- that's if they make it through this okay, I guess.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Borderlands 2 I felt was well above the majority of the FPS campaigns out there. Mind you I played it on singleplayer for mky first run though. However the enviroments were incredibly varied, you did not run down hallways towards the end, nothing was on rails, and the story didn't hold your hand and make you mash buttons for quick time events.

The Art direction was also very well done, they got that 1990's comic book feel perfetcly.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yeah, about that art direction...

http://www.gatheryourparty.com/articles/2012/11/12/pound-of-flesh/

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Honestly the way they aquired the art direction also perfectly mirrors comic books from the 1990's.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The thing that mostly annoys me about Borderlands is how the leveling works. You can be getting your rear end kicked at one point and then you level up to a level above someone and then they barely do any damage to you. For me, it kind of diminished the importance of the guns.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Whether you like Borderlands or not, I think the overall message is that Gearbox completely shits the bed if they need to make a game that isn't relying on a formula that someone else has made first, like Half-Life or Diablo.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No it's not just you. BL1 is a space western trying way to hard to be funny and with gameplay that's basically FPS Diablo. And by that I mean it's a game focused on getting loot when 99% of the loot is completely poo poo.

BL2 is that with even worse writing and even more unfunny jokes.

It's sorta hard to have worse writing when the original didn't really have any.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Borderlands is really only fun with friends, by yourself it kinda falls apart with you running long distances to objectives, enemy types are few and far between and repeat a lot and not the greatest shooting mechanics. I'd never play these games alone.

"Fun with friends" is low bar to reach. Lots of terrible things are fun with friends.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I have never played the Brothers in Arms games, but I hear that they are good. Outside of all those, the only other thing I have played by them was Nightfire on PC and that port was awful.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

I actually thought BL1 looked more interesting before they changed the art style. I'm just pissed now that they emulated this guy's style completely after not following through with a collaboration. Watching that video and reading the comments of people thinking that he copied gearbox's BL... that's not cool at all.

And sure while the style is clearly influenced by 90s comics, it's done with it's own unique drawing and caricatures... which gearbox took (Big dude, girl, a lot of very similar compositional stuff in the video for the BL intro).

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

I like how Gearbox steals other people's work when it's good, and when their own work is terrible, they deny ever working on it!

If Borderlands 1 had been a commercial flop, I wonder who would have actually developed it according to Gearbox? :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Somewhere, Randy Pitchford sits by a phone, waiting to hear back about that Half-Life 2 expansion pack pitch.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I really don't have a bit of respect for Gearbox anymore and they've done a very good job of burning up the goodwill they had with me from Borderlands 1 and 2. It's to the point where I would seriously consider passing on the next Borderlands games just to spite them.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
This quote on turning down a Call of Duty project is kind of hilarious now.

Randy Pitchford posted:

I did not know what there was to reach there. For me, there are two scenarios in which a project makes sense for Gearbox: First, if there would have been the game without us ever. Or two, when we can contribute to an existing brand something new, a kind of unique perspective and a new approach. But that was not the case here. I think about the people delivering the “Call of Duty”, which they want, you have to play by the rules of the series. You have to do what is expected of a “Call of Duty”. In this I see but no real challenge for us. It would strengthen our reputation as a studio no further, it would not be really motivating for our team.

The "fresh perspective" for A:CM was to make it Call of Duty all along!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Good thing Randy Pitchford's ego got in the way and saved Activision from a very costly mistake.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
In another dimension there's a heated Kotick vs. Pitchford out of court settlement happening

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Geight posted:

Whether you like Borderlands or not, I think the overall message is that Gearbox completely shits the bed if they need to make a game that isn't relying on a formula that someone else has made first, like Half-Life or Diablo.

Now come on, let's be fair, stupid macho action parodies and spooky space bughunts are well-trodden ground as well and Gearbox hosed those up too.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

BexGu posted:

I'm just really wondering if Sega could sue Gearbox for a mis-use of funds. Sure it could be tough to prove unless a couple of people come forward and testified but would really lay down that developers wouldn't be allowed to do this kind of crap again.

Probably not. The reason why you don't see these sorts of lawsuits too often is because with this business model, stealing money looks no different than legitimate business practice. In court, company "A" says:

"We gave them money to make a game, and they made a poo poo product because they took most of our money and spent it on making their own game."

Company "B" says:

"Nope. We made them a game that they subjectively don't like, and used the profits from our hard work to re-invest in our own product line."

Unless the CEO of company takes out full pages ads in all the major newspapers confessing that his favorite pastime is embezzlement, there's not much chance of actually proving it happened even if they were using the worlds worst accountant.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

New Concept Hole posted:

I like how Gearbox steals other people's work when it's good, and when their own work is terrible, they deny ever working on it!

If Borderlands 1 had been a commercial flop, I wonder who would have actually developed it according to Gearbox? :v:
You know what's extra funny? Just for chuckles I sat through the credits in Colonial Marines - it starts out by saying "Gearbox Software is:" and lists off a massive list of people in alphabetical order. Thing is, it doesn't say what any of those people do. You know, like how most game credits list off each person's job title, and it groups people together like "Software Lead" or "UI Design" or "Sound Mixing" or whatever. Nope, it just lists off like 150 Gearbox people in alphabetical order, and then jumps right into "Special Thanks".

Well that's not a lie, right after Special Thanks it lists off "Quality Assurance". :aslol:

After that it jumps into Timegate Software and the credits are pretty much as normal, listing people with job titles and stuff.

Frankenstyle posted:

Probably not. The reason why you don't see these sorts of lawsuits too often is because with this business model, stealing money looks no different than legitimate business practice. In court, company "A" says:

"We gave them money to make a game, and they made a poo poo product because they took most of our money and spent it on making their own game."

Company "B" says:

"Nope. We made them a game that they subjectively don't like, and used the profits from our hard work to re-invest in our own product line."

Unless the CEO of company takes out full pages ads in all the major newspapers confessing that his favorite pastime is embezzlement, there's not much chance of actually proving it happened even if they were using the worlds worst accountant.
But in a case like this, couldn't they demonstrate that the final game is nothing like the earlier demos (and is in fact objectively inferior), coupled with the universal critical disdain for the game, and that the money from Sega was going to non-Sega projects before the game was being sold to the public (and thus isn't "profits" from the Sega project)?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 25, 2013

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Valve also does the alphabetical-everyone style of credits, BTW.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

rope kid posted:

Yeah but when Valve does it, it's on a product that I can feel confident they actually worked on and made something of quality, whereas when Gearbox does it on Colonial Marines it kind of obfuscates who actually did what (if anything).

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Xenomrph posted:

But in a case like this, couldn't they demonstrate that the final game is nothing like the earlier demos (and is in fact objectively inferior), coupled with the universal critical disdain for the game, and that the money from Sega was going to non-Sega projects before the game was being sold to the public (and thus isn't "profits" from the Sega project)?

Maybe. But then you have to look at how expensive it's gonna be to prove all that, versus how much money is left to recover after Gearboxes Hookers and Blow budget is factored in.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I heard that Randy Pitchford can't have an orgasm unless he kills a dog.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

kirbysuperstar posted:

I heard that Randy Pitchford can't have an orgasm unless he kills a dog.

Lets not resort to wild accusations.

He just chokes the dog until it passes out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Frankenstyle posted:

Oh! Well, that's not so bad.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

rope kid posted:

I've noticed a lot of people doing this now.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

rope kid posted:

I would like to use this occasion to thank Obsidian for putting love, work and effort into IPs that don't actually belong to them unlike Gearbox who just straight uses them as a source of financing for their other projects. A game from Aliens frenchise would be actually cared about in your studio and I really hope Aliens RPG goes back on your menu some day.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
As I stupidly didn't send this back when I got it, I'm giving the multiplayer a go.

Anyone in the UK playing this on Xbox? Add desensitised.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I played AvP2010 and enjoyed the single player, never did multiplayer. I quite enjoyed the campaigns, and the game itself is pretty solid. I could not get enough of the predator and alien kill animations. Although, I did laugh every time I harvested a civilian: there just happen to be facehuggers following me around, like I'm a spider and they're on my back or something.

After finishing the campaign, I reinstalled AvP2 with texture and resolution updated. The graphics haven't aged well, but the game is so good it's easy to look past it: nothing beats the opening alien mission; the predator laugh when you shoot someone's head off or his screams of joy when you evicerate them are great; the aliens move the way I feel like they should; the world feels alive with people walking, talking and working. So glad I never got rid of my discs for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Frankenstyle posted:

I heard he donkey punches the dog.

• Locked thread