Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

TunaSpleen posted:

Speaking of microbiology, let's learn about Toxoplasma gondii! It's a behavior-altering protist that mostly goes between cats and rodents but sometimes gets caught up in humans as well. It's been linked to all sorts of mental disorders that lend credence to the "crazy cat lady" stereotype and can kill your baby if you clean the catbox while pregnant. An estimated ONE THIRD of all humans on earth harbor this parasite (usually in an inactive form in healthy adults), with higher prevalence in poor countries due to contaminated soil and water, or undercooked red meat. According to the Center for Disease Control, you can find it in 22.5% of the US population. That's over one in five.

There are more than five people posting in this thread.

Which one of you is it?

This is what the athlete character from Trainspotting dies of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heliotroph
Mar 20, 2009

Parachute Underwear posted:

This is what the athlete character from Trainspotting dies of.

He dies of AIDS he contracted through needle-sharing.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Actually, the toxoplasmosis kills him because he's immunocompromised by AIDS :spergin:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Actually, the toxoplasmosis kills him because he's immunocompromised by AIDS :spergin:

That whole plotline was so horribly depressing. He bought that kitten so he could reconnect with his daughter :smith:

No links yet, but I recently acquired an anthology of REAL LIFE MYSTERIES, which I had originally bought at an elementary school book fair. They're pretty hilarious now, but drat if they didn't give me sleepless nights as a young 'un. If anything jumps out at me and isn't completely obvious fiction, I'll share it here.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

dk2m posted:

The atomic bomb is usually the highpoint of atrocity committed against civilians during WWII, and rightfully so. However, well before this bomb was dropped, firebombings were regularly carried out by German and British armies. And firebombings were loving horrifying.

The bombing of Hamburg carried out by the RAF was particularly hellish:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Hamburg_in_World_War_II

Imagine a tornado of fire, fifteen hundred feet high in your city. For me personally, I cannot even wrap my head around that, and to put it into perspective that's taller than the Sears Tower in Chicago.

I cannot imagine the carnage. If you walked on the asphalt, you would literally melt into it. There was a report of a man doing just that, and then instinctively pushing down the ground with his hands to free himself. You can infer what happens next.

Happen to be in an air raid shelter during this time? Tough poo poo. All the oxygen is burning up above you, and you will soon suffocate to death.

Britain was not playing around. They were retaliating will full force for what Germany had done during the blitz.

It has given me several nightmares when I heard a survivor talk about his experience during the bombing of Hamburg. British officials called it the "Hiroshima of Germany".

:nws:http://imgur.com/xXuYHRq,eIVFmDD,i0lZTSE:nws:
http://imgur.com/xXuYHRq,eIVFmDD,i0lZTSE#1

No offense, but I think you are showing an incredible amount of Western-bias here. You mention firebombing, but no mention of what happened in Japan at all?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Tokyo
Operation Meetinghouse: Single most destructive air raid in history. "Approximately 16 square miles (41 km2) of the city were destroyed and some 100,000 people are estimated to have died in the resulting firestorm, more immediate deaths than either of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki."
The firebombing campaign was carried out for most major Japanese cities, with devastating results.

Not to downplay the horrific bombings in Europe, of course. I just think it's terrifying that around a hundred thousand people burned or suffocated to death in the most horrific ways in the capital of a nation. And that the air force made calculations and tests to have the most efficient bombing area/method to achieve this.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

So, best selling murder mystery author Anne Perry is a murderer.

Did not see that coming.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker-Hulme_murder_case

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Smiling Jack posted:

So, best selling murder mystery author Anne Perry is a murderer.

Did not see that coming.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker-Hulme_murder_case

Heavenly Creatures is a pretty amazing film (rather loosely) based on this case. Directed by Peter Jackson and starring a young Kate Winslet, it does a really, really good job of capturing the kind of relationship the two girls had. Very creepy, but also kind of funny and sweet. I believe it's available on Netflix Instant, so watch it if you haven't already.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Yeah I was watching the oscars which led me to the wiki entry for Heavenly Creatures which led me to :stare:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

dk2m posted:

The atomic bomb is usually the highpoint of atrocity committed against civilians during WWII, and rightfully so.

Thank god somethingawfuldotcom is here to tell me what the worst atrocity committed against civilians during WWII was. My loving public school education had me thinking that the Nazis and the Empire of Japan were the bad guys, but now I see that the true super villains of history will always be the U.S. and the U.K. :thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust

Miltank has a new favorite as of 06:05 on Feb 25, 2013

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER

Miltank posted:

Thank god somethingawfuldotcom is here to tell me what the worst atrocity committed against civilians during WWII was. My loving public school education had me thinking that the Nazis and the Empire of Japan were the bad guys, but now I see that the true super villains of history will always be the U.S. and the U.K. :thumbsup:

Have you ever heard the expression 'war is hell'? The reason that war is hell is because the need to win becomes more important than any other factor. Human beings are forced to abandon every value that they possess, and inhuman actions become commonplace. The destruction of entire cities in terrifying, unimaginable firestorms is undeniably a great evil. To take note of this fact does not diminish the evil committed by the other warring states. It is simply a fact.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Miltank posted:

Yeah ok somebody already called him out on this and he already apologised and admitted he was wrong. Move on.

To contribute, this case occurred one town away from where I live. A sad, lovely story in which the likely killer was tried and found not guilty. Then years later, an inquest determined that he 'contributed to the child's death and likely disposed of the body', but is unable to be re-tried due to double jeopardy laws: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jaidyn_Leskie

The wiki page is pretty sparse but there was a fairly comprehensive book written about the case: http://www.amazon.com/Jaidyn-Leskie...s=Jaidyn+leskie

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Archer2338 posted:

No offense, but I think you are showing an incredible amount of Western-bias here. You mention firebombing, but no mention of what happened in Japan at all?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Tokyo
Operation Meetinghouse: Single most destructive air raid in history. "Approximately 16 square miles (41 km2) of the city were destroyed and some 100,000 people are estimated to have died in the resulting firestorm, more immediate deaths than either of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki."
The firebombing campaign was carried out for most major Japanese cities, with devastating results.

Not to downplay the horrific bombings in Europe, of course. I just think it's terrifying that around a hundred thousand people burned or suffocated to death in the most horrific ways in the capital of a nation. And that the air force made calculations and tests to have the most efficient bombing area/method to achieve this.

It truly was awful. The Battle of Hamburg is interesting to me because it's not too often you hear about German suffering. The reason I even brought the atomic bomb up was that it always boggled my mind how in school, the only thing we focused on (again, when talking about aerial warfare), was never the firebombings, but the Hiroshima/Nagasaki event and I'm assuming atleast some others were the same way. Or maybe my education was just subpar. Not to downplay that either, but firebombings were, as evidence by your link as well, loving unbelievable.

You're the second person to accuse me of western bias, which I find perplexing. I'm not even from a western country so I don't know what the gently caress. Everyone is really on edge here, just chillaxe and post some cool pages.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Crow Jane posted:

Heavenly Creatures is a pretty amazing film (rather loosely) based on this case. Directed by Peter Jackson and starring a young Kate Winslet, it does a really, really good job of capturing the kind of relationship the two girls had. Very creepy, but also kind of funny and sweet. I believe it's available on Netflix Instant, so watch it if you haven't already.

I remember studying Heavenly Creatures in my final year of high school, and learning that A)Juliet Hulme was now an author and B) Wrote crime fiction was just really unsettling. Also, the murder scene in Heavenly Creatures is one of the most disturbing I've ever seen. There's just something about the noises.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The A-bombs are startling to us because the damage was done with one bomb at each site. Something with that kind of power stands out to us, and it's shocking to think that one implement can cause so much destruction. In reality, even though one bomb did a ton of damage, they weren't really all that successful comparatively. The bombs were worth something like 244 planes in a raid, which is pretty impressive, except that there was generally a lot more than 244 planes in a bombing run and therefore a conventional bombing run could do a lot more. The Tokyo firebombing on March 9th, 1945 was more deadly initially than either single A-bomb drop, as has been stated. But the firebombings were more traditional in that it was a fleet of bombers coming in and dropping tons and tons of incendiaries. It also helped than traditional Japanese homes were extremely susceptible to fire. This is Tokyo after the March 9th raid:

The firebombings were atrocious acts. Curtis LeMay, the man behind them, said "If I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal." Even then there were plenty of people that saw it the firebombings as terrible events, and not only the Japanese civilians on the receiving end. We could have easily burnt every Japanese city to nothing and might have well done if they didn't surrender and an invasion was necessary. And after all is said and done, it's a miracle we didn't have to invade Japan. The loss of life on both sides would have been staggering. The Pacific War really was Hell, from atrocities committed by both sides, the abysmal conditions soldiers had to live in, the pure hatred and racism exhibited by Allies and Japanese forces toward one another, so on and so forth, and it's something that kind of goes unnoticed in the US and I'm sure in other places.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

If you haven't seen The Fog Of War, you really need to. There's a big section on burning down Japan.

Edit: also, here's a pic of part of Manila after US troops were done liberating it from the Japanese army:

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Manila_Walled_City_Destruction_May_1945.jpg

That was all done by ground troops using tanks, direct fire artillery, and flamethrowers.

War is hosed up.

Smiling Jack has a new favorite as of 07:24 on Feb 25, 2013

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
The truly horrifying thing to me is the bombing of Dresden. While the firebombing of Tokyo took time, burning a largely wooden city, and the firestorm in Hamburg was far deadlier than they had expected, the allies knew exactly what they were doing to Dresden. While Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Hamburg and Tokyo all had some military value, Dresden was at best a rail hub, it was bombed purely out of anger and spite.

Kurt Vonnegut was a POW in Dresden during the bombings, and he only survived because he was locked in a Meat Locker that they were using at a makeshift jail. They put him to work burying corpses in the aftermath, and he was at a loss for descriptions of the aftermath.

Vonnegut posted:

"As prisoners of war, we dealt hands-on with dead Germans, digging them out of there and taking them to a huge funeral pyre but there were too many corpses to bury. So instead the Nazis sent in guys with flamethrowers. All these civilians' remains were burned to ashes."

Herman Brood
Jan 30, 2006

Crow Jane posted:

That whole plotline was so horribly depressing. He bought that kitten so he could reconnect with his daughter :smith:
It was his girl friend, actually.
If it were his daughter that would make their tendency to videotape themselves having sex together more than just a bit disturbing...

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.

RNG posted:

Though I think some of these might have been posted, have some disasters and weird, weird parasites.

It's not a tornado until it's a tri-state tornado.

I love that that first little geezer just becomes something's tongue. For some reason, that's hilarious to me.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Herman Brood posted:

It was his girl friend, actually.
If it were his daughter that would make their tendency to videotape themselves having sex together more than just a bit disturbing...

In the book Matty buys the kitten as a present for his daughter and dies of toxoplasmosis as a side effect of AIDs. Tommy is a separate character with the videotape action, he contracts AIDs but dies later without really being mentioned, 'off camera' sort of. They just say he won't survive the winter and never see him again. The film turned them into one character, as well as merging the Spud and Stevie stories.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

cptn_dr posted:

I remember studying Heavenly Creatures in my final year of high school, and learning that A)Juliet Hulme was now an author and B) Wrote crime fiction was just really unsettling.

This is actually news to me, although from what I remember of the case the girls had a rich fantasy life, so perhaps it's not that weird that one should end up as a writer.

As Asia and war being hell are already on the menu, I'll post The Boxer Rebellion here. When I was a kid, the main thing I knew about the Boxer Rebellion was that the Boxers were really called the Society of Righteous and Harmonious Fists, which I thought was about the most badass thing ever at the time.

Unfortunately, if you actually read the story of their Uprising the main thing that comes across is how difficult it is to sympathise with any of the main groups involved. OK, the Boxers were fighting against Western imperialism, but they were fuelled by fanatical racism and religious intolerance, not to mention support for their homegrown version imperialism. The Chinese imperial government deserved overthrowing about as much as any government ever. And the Westerners involved were also, by and large, tremendous racists who often behaved like dicks even when they were under siege and you ought to feel sorry for them.

So the scariest thing about the Boxer Rebellion for me? Finding out the truth about how badly people can behave, I suppose.:smith:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Red_Mage posted:

The truly horrifying thing to me is the bombing of Dresden. While the firebombing of Tokyo took time, burning a largely wooden city, and the firestorm in Hamburg was far deadlier than they had expected, the allies knew exactly what they were doing to Dresden. While Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Hamburg and Tokyo all had some military value, Dresden was at best a rail hub, it was bombed purely out of anger and spite.
The thing that I find supremely hosed up about these firebombings is that the big-rear end Wisconsin fire someone else linked earlier mentioned that the US military apparently studied it very closely to learn how to make their firebombing campaigns that much more effective. Eesh.

Boring Person posted:

Tornadoes scare the gently caress out of me and always have. My mom,my aunt and my cousins survived the one in Xenia,Ohio. My mom told me it got pitch black and that was when she knew to take my cousins into the basement. Last year this happened http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_March_2012_tornado_outbreak and holy poo poo I thought my family was going to die because the tornado that killed 6 people in East Bernstadt was only a few miles away,we didn't know exactly where it hit at the time so we were planning to go into the hallway with a mattress over us and hope the upper floor didn't fall on us.

This reminds me, someone earlier linked an article about an aircraft accident caused by flying into a microburst, and now I finally know what one is. When I was about 9 or 10, growing up in Wisconsin, I remember a night when there was some really insane weather going on, and my mom was supposed to be coming back from... somewhere. I was woken up by my dad and he had us stay in the basement while it sounded like the world was coming down all around us. This was also before cell phones were anywhere near commonplace, so we couldn't really find out if mom was all right until everything had settled down and she could call us from a payphone.

Turned out she (and the majority of our town, our house included) had gotten caught in a microburst, and she'd managed to drive under a low overpass for shelter to wait it out. I didn't know what one was at the time and dad just explained it to me as "a small tornado." I feel like the reality is way scarier and awe-inspiring. Our atmosphere does some really loving weird poo poo.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

General Panic posted:

This is actually news to me, although from what I remember of the case the girls had a rich fantasy life, so perhaps it's not that weird that one should end up as a writer.

As Asia and war being hell are already on the menu, I'll post The Boxer Rebellion here. When I was a kid, the main thing I knew about the Boxer Rebellion was that the Boxers were really called the Society of Righteous and Harmonious Fists, which I thought was about the most badass thing ever at the time.

Unfortunately, if you actually read the story of their Uprising the main thing that comes across is how difficult it is to sympathise with any of the main groups involved. OK, the Boxers were fighting against Western imperialism, but they were fuelled by fanatical racism and religious intolerance, not to mention support for their homegrown version imperialism. The Chinese imperial government deserved overthrowing about as much as any government ever. And the Westerners involved were also, by and large, tremendous racists who often behaved like dicks even when they were under siege and you ought to feel sorry for them.

So the scariest thing about the Boxer Rebellion for me? Finding out the truth about how badly people can behave, I suppose.:smith:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiping_Rebellion Has always terrified me, people so disillusioned with the government over the opium war defeat and other issues support a guy who claims to be the younger brother of Jesus and, at the lowest estimate, around 20 million die as a result of the ensuing civil war. To put this in perspective the death toll is similar to World War 1.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

jalopybrown posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiping_Rebellion Has always terrified me, people so disillusioned with the government over the opium war defeat and other issues support a guy who claims to be the younger brother of Jesus and, at the lowest estimate, around 20 million die as a result of the ensuing civil war. To put this in perspective the death toll is similar to World War 1.

I used to harass a Christian Chinese ex of mine by asking her how can she love Jesus after what his younger brother did to her country. I mean, the Chinese are all about family (as she would tell me often).

She understood the joke but did not find it funny. Not at all. I did though, so that was nice.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

jalopybrown posted:

Even more disturbing? It is practically unknown in the western world.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

jalopybrown posted:

Led me to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_and_anthropogenic_disasters_by_death_toll
The first part is 'man's inhumanity to man' in list form. Absolutely staggering figures, even on the lowest estimates.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Nguema

quote:

During Christmas of 1975 he ordered about 150 of his opponents killed. Soldiers dressed up in Santa Claus costumes executed them by shooting at the football stadium in Malabo, while amplifiers were playing Mary Hopkin's "Those Were the Days".

:wtc:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

quote:

The Year Without a Summer (also known as the Poverty Year, The Summer that Never Was, Year There Was No Summer and Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death[1]) was 1816, in which severe summer climate abnormalities caused average global temperatures to decrease by 0.4–0.7 °C (0.7–1.3 °F),[2] resulting in major food shortages across the Northern Hemisphere.[3][4] It is believed that the anomaly was caused by a combination of a historic low in solar activity with a volcanic winter event, the latter caused by a succession of major volcanic eruptions capped by the 1815 eruption of Mount Tambora, in the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia), the largest known eruption in over 1,300 years, which occurred during the concluding decades of the Little Ice Age, potentially adding to the existing cooling that had been periodically ongoing since 1350 AD.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

"Year There Was No Summer and Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death" is an awful title for something.

Are there accurate records of temperatures dating all the way back to 1350AD and earlier? Or is that just an estimate based on science and stuff?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Stargate posted:

Led me to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_and_anthropogenic_disasters_by_death_toll
The first part is 'man's inhumanity to man' in list form. Absolutely staggering figures, even on the lowest estimates.

The difference between lowest and highest estimates on these are mostly saying "It could have been 2x or 4x of that number." But look at the European colonization of the Americas. Maybe two million Indians died, maybe a hundred million? How is that... our estimate?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Mescal posted:

The difference between lowest and highest estimates on these are mostly saying "It could have been 2x or 4x of that number." But look at the European colonization of the Americas. Maybe two million Indians died, maybe a hundred million? How is that... our estimate?

Didn't the conquest of the Aztec empire (including smallpox) kill about 11 million on its own? How is 2 million even close to an estimate for both continents?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Tagra posted:

"Year There Was No Summer and Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death" is an awful title for something.

Are there accurate records of temperatures dating all the way back to 1350AD and earlier? Or is that just an estimate based on science and stuff?

Those are two different titles, 'Year There Was No Summer' [and] 'Eighteen Hundred and Froze To Death'. It's times like these the Oxford Comma would come in handy.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Mescal posted:

There's disagreement over population size of the pre-Columbian Americas. I remember the book 1491 touching upon it--basically you have "low counter" and "high counter" camps in academia, though the low estimates didn't seem very credible from what I recall. The approximate death toll of the European colonization depends a lot on just how many Indians were alive to begin with, so that's probably why Wikipedia lists such a huge difference.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Shbobdb posted:

I used to harass a Christian Chinese ex of mine by asking her how can she love Jesus after what his younger brother did to her country. I mean, the Chinese are all about family (as she would tell me often).

She understood the joke but did not find it funny. Not at all. I did though, so that was nice.

ha ha ha oh wow you are literally the worst kind of person

To contribute: Do cryptids count? Because the one picture of the De Loys' Ape has always freaked me out. The story itself not so much - basically, some dude makes up the story of being attacked by man-sized apes, killing one, posing it for the photo, and skinning it for memorabilia but then ~mysteriously losing it~ on the way back. It's probably just a howler monkey or something, but there's something about the composition of the photo that really gets me, not to mention that to make it look the way they did they probably had to gently caress up some poor monkey's face before they propped its corpse up for the photo.

Also, not on Wikipedia unfortunately, but I've always thought the Ningen was a little freaky. The 'picture' of it is goofy as heck and kind of amusing, but the concept has always unnerved me - not that huge things exist that we don't know about exist in the ocean (well, that too), but that these huge things are really vaguely humanoid or otherwise sentient. The concept of aliens doesn't really faze me, but having something very like us but wrong cohabiting with us is another story. For the same reason, great apes always make me feel incredibly uncomfortable. They're just us, but not.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tagra posted:

Generally temperature measurement in a modern sense only dates back accurately to the 1800's or so when modern measurement tools and proper shielding boxes and standardization of measurements came into play (though we have somewhat good measured temperature records for England going back to 1659), but we can estimate to an okay degree of accuracy average temperatures going back very far by using various techniques such as snow layers, measurements of tree rings, coral growth patterns etc.

Here is a wikipedia table listing various methods of determining temperature without actual records (It's not scary or unnerving, sorry.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_historic_and_prehistoric_climate_indicators

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

Do cryptids count?

While we're on criptids, I'm not sure any of them (except maybe the random big cat sightings) are necessary believable or even physically possible but I do have some favourites from my part of the world. I basically just like them because they're usually fairly surreal.

Bunyips

Bunyip (1935), artist unknown, from the National Library of Australia digital collections.

quote:

The bunyip, or kianpraty,[1] is a large mythical creature from Aboriginal mythology, said to lurk in swamps, billabongs, creeks, riverbeds, and waterholes. The origin of the word bunyip has been traced to the Wemba-Wemba or Wergaia language of Aboriginal people of South-Eastern Australia.[2][3][4] However, the bunyip appears to have formed part of traditional Aboriginal beliefs and stories throughout Australia, although its name varied according to tribal nomenclature.

quote:

Descriptions of bunyips vary widely. George French Angus may have collected a description of a bunyip in his account of a "water spirit" from the Moorundi people of the Murray River before 1847, stating it is "much dreaded by them… It inhabits the Murray; but…they have some difficulty describing it. Its most usual form…is said to be that of an enormous starfish."[10] Robert Brough Smyth's Aborigines of Victoria of 1878 devoted ten pages to the bunyip, but concluded "in truth little is known among the blacks respecting its form, covering or habits; they appear to have been in such dread of it as to have been unable to take note of its characteristics."[11] However, common features in many 19th-century newspaper accounts include a dog-like face, dark fur, a horse-like tail, flippers, and walrus-like tusks or horns or a duck-like bill.[12]
The Challicum bunyip, an outline image of a bunyip carved by Aborigines into the bank of Fiery Creek, near Ararat, Victoria, was first recorded by The Australasian newspaper in 1851. According to the report, the bunyip had been speared after killing an Aboriginal man. Antiquarian Reynell Johns claimed that until the mid-1850s, Aboriginal people made a "habit of visiting the place annually and retracing the outlines of the figure [of the bunyip] which is about 11 paces long and 4 paces in extreme breadth."[13]

Yara-ma-yha-who Seriously, do a GIS of this is you like weird poo poo

quote:

The Yara-ma-yha-who is a creature from Australian Aboriginal folklore. This creature resembles a little red man with a very big head and large mouth with no teeth. On the ends of its hands and feet are suckers. It lives in fig trees and does not hunt for food, but waits until an unsuspecting traveler rests under the tree. It then drops onto the victim and drains their blood using the suckers on its hands and feet, making them weak. It then consumes the person, drinks some water, and then takes a nap. When the Yara-ma-yha-who awakens, it regurgitates the victim, leaving it shorter than before. The victim's skin also has a reddish tint to it that it didn't have before.[1][2] It repeats this process several times. At length, the victim is transformed into a Yara-ma-yha-who themself. According to legend, the Yara-ma-yha-who will only prey upon a living person, so (hypothetically speaking) you could survive an encounter with this monster by "playing-dead" until sunset; the creature only hunts during the day.
:stare:

Yowie

quote:

The origin of the term "yowie" in the context of unidentified hominids is unclear. Some nineteenth century writers suggested that it simply arose through the aforementioned Aboriginal legends. Robert Holden recounts several stories that support this from the nineteenth century, including this European account from 1842;
“ The natives of Australia ... believe in ... [the] Yahoo ... This being they describe as resembling a man ... of nearly the same height, ... with long white hair hanging down from the head over the features ... the arms as extraordinarily long, furnished at the extremities with great talons, and the feet turned backwards, so that, on flying from man, the imprint of the foot appears as if the being had travelled in the opposite direction. Altogether, they describe it as a hideous monster of an unearthy character and ape-like appearance.[3]

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

folgore posted:

There's disagreement over population size of the pre-Columbian Americas. I remember the book 1491 touching upon it--basically you have "low counter" and "high counter" camps in academia, though the low estimates didn't seem very credible from what I recall. The approximate death toll of the European colonization depends a lot on just how many Indians were alive to begin with, so that's probably why Wikipedia lists such a huge difference.

Ah yes, because that book is the PINNACLE of science, right?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

On the subject of Bunyips, this video always creeped me the hell out as a child. The first time I went to Australia after seeing it, I refused to go to the zoo at first, just in case.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Also a chocolate egg + toy treat in Australia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yowie_(chocolate)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

He's saying the book touched upon the issue that there are disputed figures, not that it's the source of the figures. It doesn't need to be a pinnacle of science to explain that there's contentious data, you dweeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

1491 was a decently written tertiary source for the popular market, but as far as I could tell not bad. I remember thinking it was rad. You may be thinking of 1421, which is as dumb as a box of hair. (Neither one is to be confused with 1453, which was a decent book, despite the author's overemphasis of the religious motivations of the conflict.)

HEY GUNS has a new favorite as of 10:24 on Feb 26, 2013

• Locked thread