Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Just got Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars and I know nothing about it.

Any basic advice I should know? I've always been more of a Fire Emblem girl but apparently this is similar though?

It isn't really hard to figure out. Just remember that stealth is broken as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Iron Rose posted:

Any basic advice I should know? I've always been more of a Fire Emblem girl but apparently this is similar though?

It's a bit more like the Ogre and Military Madness type strategy games in that the terrain you're on has a much higher effect on things than in Fire Emblem. So rather than being on the offensive, it's better to treat it like X-Com (Actually one of the directors of X-Com and Rebelstar designed this game if I remember right) and find a good place for your guys to dig in. The return fire and they bonus attacks from the game's support system will do most of the damage for you. Hide out and ambush people.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Mr.Trifecta posted:

So I dug out my 3ds after buying it purely for Mario Kart. Man my hands get cramped playing after just one or two games. Does the XL help out in that retrospect? My hands are not giant or anything, they just hurt after a bit. Maybe I am getting old. :(

I find the XL much easier to hold than the dslite (never had the vanilla 3ds) so yeah it's possible that an XL will help you. My hands are pretty small come to that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just got an XL and I don't cramp up nearly as bad as I did on the original. It's much nicer to hold for extended periods of time.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

The Iron Rose posted:

My favorite 3DS game, I think. I always dump every point possible into banshee because she really is a murder machine. Plus if you keep pumping points into her, you can keep upgrading her knife enough that she'll almost always be able to one-shot enemies. Theres usually a mission or two where she isn't able to, but then after the mission you'll be able to give her 2 more and shes back to stabbing like a pro. :)

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Captain Hair posted:

My favorite 3DS game, I think. I always dump every point possible into banshee because she really is a murder machine. Plus if you keep pumping points into her, you can keep upgrading her knife enough that she'll almost always be able to one-shot enemies. Theres usually a mission or two where she isn't able to, but then after the mission you'll be able to give her 2 more and shes back to stabbing like a pro. :)

By endgame Banshee is broken as hell. Once you build up her gauge and let her use the ability that gives two attacks with one move, you can have her take out two people which fills up her gauge again, then use the points to give her another turn in the same round and take out 4 more guys. If you set everything up right she can eliminate an entire enemy platoon in one round.

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!
Okay, I have been trying to back up my sd card for a while, but no matter what my computer cannot read the sd card. The card reader works fine, and it works in my 3DS just fine. I can't find anything useful on google because most of the hits are about the 3DS not recognizing sd cards.

Edit: Nevermind, I think it is specifically a problem between the SD card and the reader.

Raften fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 27, 2013

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
Nintendo Japan just announced two new standard 3DS colors: Light Blue and Gloss Pink.
The price will remain the same at 15,000 yen, but with a larger SD card (4GB instead of the old 2GB).
Coming March 20.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

I almost got excited since for a second I thought those were XL colors. Then I realized that even if they were on the XL, they still never would have made it out of Japan.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Nintendo Japan just announced two new standard 3DS colors: Light Blue and Gloss Pink.
The price will remain the same at 15,000 yen, but with a larger SD card (4GB instead of the old 2GB).
Coming March 20.

I'm wondering if the reason why 3DS has sold so many units in Japan is because there's like a couple hundred people that buy every single model to collect on their shelf.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I guess I don't get the point of releasing the system in multiple different colors. Is that really a selling point to people? Like, if they can't get it in a certain color or design, they just won't buy the system?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Haraksha posted:

I guess I don't get the point of releasing the system in multiple different colors. Is that really a selling point to people? Like, if they can't get it in a certain color or design, they just won't buy the system?

For some people? Probably; people are weird. You also lose sales from people who would consider buying a new system for a new color to replace an older or outdated model.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It'd be pretty silly in this day and age for Nintendo not to release a handheld in a bunch of colors. It's tradition at this point.

Also, there will definitely be a few people who were on the fence about purchasing it before who will see one of those colors and say "I absolutely must have this RIGHT NOW!"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I absolutely love that Nintendo releases a bunch of eye catching colors. Everything else is jet black or ipod white. It got old pretty fast. Hell, I'd love a 90s desktop computer beige or 70s style wood-paneling.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
My 22-year old daughter refused to buy one until the inevitable pink.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

I'm fine with my standard 3DS until Nintendo decides to make a Purple XL. Well, that, or if the eventual Pokemon X/Y XLs look nice. Hell, I'd probably have a Midnight Purple 3DS if I didn't get the used Ambassador one I got using SA-Mart.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I just wish the limited edition type handhelds were more common. Release them as standalone rather than always having them be a game-pack in thing or something. I would seriously consider buying a 2nd 3DS if it was easy to get a Triforce branded one or something.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
If it's designs you want you know you can just put decals on them... right? As far as simple stuff like a Triforce goes, anyway.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
With every single Nintendo handheld, I've sprung on it before a special edition came out and I kick myself - not in a GODDAMMIT way, but more of a AW SHUCKS way. And when I saw all those XL editions in Japan & Europe, I knew that this time, I would have to wait.

And then Etrian Odyssey IV came out. Hello, Generic Blue. Goodbye, Inevitable Awesome Edition.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Caitlin posted:

If it's designs you want you know you can just put decals on them... right? As far as simple stuff like a Triforce goes, anyway.

A Triforce and "regal" looking trim wouldn't look nearly as good on my blue system as the official Zelda one though. That and I have a serious compulsion against modifying/decorating my own stuff. My wife put some little bedazzled thingies on her Roku remote and it makes me irrationally upset when I see it.

Dunno why, but I just don't like the idea of doing my own deco work.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 27, 2013

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Yeah but I mean car-window style decals that are removable and look great as long as you can apply, say, a screen protector.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18d8q5w49bwtojpg/original.jpg

Huge example but really it looks fine. If you got one cut out of metallic gold vinyl it'd look pretty great, I think.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Volfogg posted:

I'm fine with my standard 3DS until Nintendo decides to make a Purple XL. Well, that, or if the eventual Pokemon X/Y XLs look nice. Hell, I'd probably have a Midnight Purple 3DS if I didn't get the used Ambassador one I got using SA-Mart.

You realize you can buy the Midnight purple one and transfer your Ambassador certificate to that system and have both, right? :retrogames:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Volfogg posted:

If there is a Pokemon themed XL, I'm upgrading to it, no questions asked, day 1.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Quidnose posted:

You realize you can buy the Midnight purple one and transfer your Ambassador certificate to that system and have both, right? :retrogames:

Well, of course I could, but I'm not gonna upgrade my 3DS TWICE when I could just need to do it once. :v:

Seriously, I'm cool with the Aqua Blue one I have, but would love to upgrade to a Purple XL. Also, the fact that I'm not made of :retrogames:

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

Haraksha posted:

I'd been dying for a 3DS since they came out, but wanted to wait for the inevitable hardware upgrade because there were too many problems with the original for my taste. Then the XL came out, but I sort of hate the red and blue colors they chose. So for as excited as I had been to finally get a 3DS XL, I might have waited until another color came out. Luckily they released pink in time for Christmas so I got that, but yes, multiple colors is a selling point for me. If it only ever came in one color, I probably wouldn't have held out, but that's part of why I love Nintendo. I like color.

In other news, Amazon finally decided to ship my Etrian Odyssey pre-order today. I only bought from them because I had a credit, but I didn't know they were so bad with pre-orders.

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.
If they came out with a green 3DS that was anything other than the original 3DS I would buy it in a second. I need to continue my tradition reaching back to my green, brick Game Boy.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Unoriginal posted:

I'd been dying for a 3DS since they came out, but wanted to wait for the inevitable hardware upgrade because there were too many problems with the original for my taste. Then the XL came out, but I sort of hate the red and blue colors they chose. So for as excited as I had been to finally get a 3DS XL, I might have waited until another color came out. Luckily they released pink in time for Christmas so I got that, but yes, multiple colors is a selling point for me. If it only ever came in one color, I probably wouldn't have held out, but that's part of why I love Nintendo. I like color.

In other news, Amazon finally decided to ship my Etrian Odyssey pre-order today. I only bought from them because I had a credit, but I didn't know they were so bad with pre-orders.

They're generally not. Amazon rules, but if they don't specifically list it as "release-day delivery", it's not gonna be there on day of release.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Not necessarily. Sometimes if you get two day shipping, they'll get it to you on launch. There wasn't any option for release date shipping and I still got my EO4 yesterday.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Volfogg posted:

Well, of course I could, but I'm not gonna upgrade my 3DS TWICE when I could just need to do it once. :v:

Seriously, I'm cool with the Aqua Blue one I have, but would love to upgrade to a Purple XL. Also, the fact that I'm not made of :retrogames:

I don't get the urge to upgrade. I still play DS games on my day 1 launch fat DS. Didn't pick up a 3DS until the Zelda special edition one came out. Even if I did upgrade at this point I don't think I'd be able to sell it because I just like looking at the drat thing sitting in its cradle on my desk. A Majora's Mask XL though MIGHT just do it... Shame I wouldn't be able to use both with the way accounts are set up for digital purchases.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

zerox147o posted:

I don't get the urge to upgrade. I still play DS games on my day 1 launch fat DS. Didn't pick up a 3DS until the Zelda special edition one came out. Even if I did upgrade at this point I don't think I'd be able to sell it because I just like looking at the drat thing sitting in its cradle on my desk. A Majora's Mask XL though MIGHT just do it... Shame I wouldn't be able to use both with the way accounts are set up for digital purchases.

So you don't want to get a system with better screens and ergonomics but you're swayed by a system with decals on it? I'm not gonna judge other people's spending habits but it seems really obvious why someone would want a DS Lite over a DS phat or a 3DS XL over a 3DS.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

So what's the difference between this color and the one that the 3DS launched with?

Fake edit: Oh, it's monotone, how fun.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Japanese sales chart for Feb 18 - Feb 24:

code:
01. [PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Konami) {2013.02.21} (¥6.980) - 335.791 / NEW
02. [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Fighters of Eden (Square Enix) {2013.02.07} (¥6.090) - 80.478 / 1.088.077 (-53%)
03. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 77.709 / 3.012.055 (+1%)
04. [3DS] Magi: The Labyrinth of Beginning (Bandai Namco) {2013.02.21} (¥5.800) - 25.281 / NEW
05. [PSP] Toaru Majutsu no Kagaku no Ensemble (Bandai Namco) {2013.02.21} (¥6.280) - 19.004 / NEW
06. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe (Bandai Namco) {2012.11.29} (¥5.040) - 10.028 / 407.188 (-10%)
07. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800) - 6.885 / 1.957.380 (-18%)
08. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) (Capcom) {2012.11.15} (¥3.800) - 6.579 / 222.778 (-9%)
09. [3DS] Fantasy Life (Level 5) {2012.12.27} (¥5.800) - 5.860 / 246.338 (-36%)
10. [WIU] Tank! Tank! Tank! (Bandai Namco) {2013.02.21} (¥5.040) - 5.513 / NEW
11. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 4.242 / 1.978.045 (-15%)
12. [PSP] Grisaia no Kajitsu: La Fruit de la Grisaia (Prototype) {2013.02.21} (¥6.090) - 4.185 / NEW
13. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985) - 4.075 / 478.265 (-24%)
14. [3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou (Bandai Namco) {2012.07.05} (¥5.040) - 3.850 / 429.992 (-30%)
15. [3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Nintendo) {2012.12.06} (¥4.800) - 3.770 / 501.186 (-26%)
Animal Crossing continues the fine, fine tradition of never leaving the top of the chart.

Biggest news is that the U is now selling less than the Vita (9.495 vs 11.669 units). This appears to be due to some stores lowering Vita's price ahead of the announced date, but other factors are likely present. The 3DS sold 74.184 units in this specific week.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

madeupfred posted:

So what's the difference between this color and the one that the 3DS launched with?

Fake edit: Oh, it's monotone, how fun.

Unless you're seriously color blind, the new light blue isn't much like the original aqua green (basically turquoise).

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

alg posted:

So you don't want to get a system with better screens and ergonomics but you're swayed by a system with decals on it? I'm not gonna judge other people's spending habits but it seems really obvious why someone would want a DS Lite over a DS phat or a 3DS XL over a 3DS.

Mostly that they play the same games so why would I buy it twice?
I found the DS fat just fine to play on and was never compelled to upgrade. The only reason I would be tempted by a good looking XL system is that the 3DS is pretty tiny and I do get a bit cramped if I play it too long.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Unless you're seriously color blind, the new light blue isn't much like the original aqua green (basically turquoise).

He's just being a negative Nancy. Speaking of special editions, how much do you reckon the Shin Megami Tensei IV special edition 3DSXL will cost when it comes out in May? I couldn't find a MSRP but does 20,000 Yen sound reasonable?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I had a transparent pink GBA and it ruled.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Endorph posted:

I had a transparent pink GBA and it ruled.

Hell yeah Fushia see through GBA for life! :hfive:

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

toxicsunset posted:

They're generally not. Amazon rules, but if they don't specifically list it as "release-day delivery", it's not gonna be there on day of release.

Ah, thanks. I'll look for that in the future on games where it matters. I didn't necessarily expect for it to arrive yesterday, but it would have been nice if they didn't wait until the day after release to ship.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just in case any of you still had hope that Nintendo would do some neat stuff with their Gameboy Virtual Console

The door on the right only opens on a GBA. They didn't take the time to make it work in VC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Great work there Nintendo, can't even be assed to flip a single bit somewhere. Doesn't that mean this game is impossible to 100% now? I can't think of any other way to get the Advance Ring, at least.

I mean, it's a really minor thing all things considered, but still.

• Locked thread