Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I bought the Zelda 3DS and now can't bring myself to upgrade to an XL because I like how it looks :(

I still play all my ds games on my DSi XL because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
They need to release a lime green XL. Lime green GBC for life mother fuckers.

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt
I wanted a green DS so bad. Then they finally released a green DSi... right after the 3DS was announced. :negative:

I just want a green 3DSXL before the end of the 3DS's life, dangit.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Endorph posted:

I had a transparent pink GBA and it ruled.

That first GBA release amazing. Would love to have the SP screen quality/backlight on the original body. Are those backlight kits still available anywhere on the web? Still have all my GBA games floating around and play them on my SP whenever the urge strikes, if they're still around for $10-20 it's probably worth it.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Katana Gomai posted:

He's just being a negative Nancy. Speaking of special editions, how much do you reckon the Shin Megami Tensei IV special edition 3DSXL will cost when it comes out in May? I couldn't find a MSRP but does 20,000 Yen sound reasonable?

20,000's probably too low. 3DSXL's MSRP is 18,900 yen, and the game is 6,300, so more in the neighborhood of 25,000 yen. (I haven't seen any of these special units get deeply discounted.)

Also, I've kept my DSiXL around for playing DS games.
I'm playing the second Miles Edgeworth (in JP) now, and I didn't like how the text got lumpy looking on 3DSXL.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

zerox147o posted:

That first GBA release amazing.

Except it was impossible to see anything unless you were standing on the sun.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think it's really cool that Nintendo does lots of color releases. It's one of the things that help set them apart.

Now give me a white 3DSXL already!

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Errr..... Well technically you could password link with a game file that had it. If you can find it on the internet. That has the name you want to use. If you're okay with not experiencing the game fresh.

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!

Dehry posted:

Just in case any of you still had hope that Nintendo would do some neat stuff with their Gameboy Virtual Console

The door on the right only opens on a GBA. They didn't take the time to make it work in VC.

Uhh sorry bro the 3DS can't emulate the GBA. :smuggo:

Jumpman16
Dec 1, 2002

unironic pokémon obsession

Endorph posted:

I had a transparent pink GBA and it ruled.

I have a Torchic GBA SP and basically it's my avatar on gchat/youtube because so sexy (orange is my favorite color and I'm obviously a pokefag so). That said, I don't think I'd buy an orange 3DS XL if they came out with it...I mean I *would*, probably, but may go with a more reasonable color. I have had the Ice Blue DS Lite since launch and a Black Onyx (yep, hard for me to type that and not Onix) DS, and on boring/slow days at my old job circa 2007 I would prefer to have the black one just because "it looks like a phone/PDA" and not "hey please fire me for grinding at work". I'll probably just buy a black 3DS XL around October when Pokemon XY comes out but we'll see.

Question about the 3DS though...actually, its games. I have Kart 7 and Street Fighter IV 3D Edition, and since my 3DS broke a few months ago and I don't really like either game (SF on a handheld is awkward as hell and I'm not big on multiplayer Kart, plus "lol Blue Shell") so I want to return them. What's my best option? I've read that you have to sign up to be like a rewards member at Gamestop to sell games for cash, so is there a better option available to me?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ah, it seemed like Revelaitons came out just yesterday.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
How does this keep happening? Are publishers forced to just describe their desired boxart to Nintendo over the phone and hope it turns out well?

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Unless you're seriously color blind, the new light blue isn't much like the original aqua green (basically turquoise).

I looked at the concept art for the two for about two minutes until I saw the difference. No doubt they'll be different in real life with the glossy paint, but go check out how Nintendo mocked up the Aqua Blue 3DS and tell me the two don't look similar.

madeupfred fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 27, 2013

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

madeupfred posted:

I looked at the concept art for the two for about two minutes until I saw the difference. No doubt they'll be different in real life with the glossy paint, but go check out how Nintendo mocked up the Aqua Blue 3DS and tell me the two don't look similar.

They don't look similar to me.
I certainly wouldn't need to stare at them for two minutes to make the distinction.
Here's NCL's page of 3DS color variations for reference.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Saoshyant posted:

I'm thinking it's a marketing tactic at this point since all the gaming websites will run a story about it. FREE PRESS!

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Louisgod posted:

I'm thinking it's a marketing tactic at this point since all the gaming websites will run a story about it. FREE PRESS!

I certainly wouldn't have known that Naruto game even existed if you hadn't posted that picture. Those wily bastard. :argh:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Ineffiable posted:

I think it's really cool that Nintendo does lots of color releases. It's one of the things that help set them apart.

Now give me a white 3DSXL already!

I have a White 3DSXL, Amazon have them as a bundle offer with either Mario Kart 7 or Super Mario 3D Land.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
MY HUSBAND bought a teal 3DS at launch, which is fine, but I demand all of my things be purple and it kills me that there's a purple 3DS out now. It would be stupid to buy two of the same system for the color

I have, however, promised myself an XL if it comes out in purple. Only purple.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
Bean, I bought my first DSlite in white because that was the only color out. When it came out in pink, I sold my white one on SA Mart and bought the pink one which I still have. I know it was frivolous, but I don't regret it. I'd probably sell my pink 3DS XL if it came out in purple, orange, or green (depending on the shade). Silly? Of course, but I don't have to justify my purchase choices to anyone but my husband who is surprisingly forgiving of my quirks.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Judge Tesla posted:

I have a White 3DSXL, Amazon have them as a bundle offer with either Mario Kart 7 or Super Mario 3D Land.

Not in the US though.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Ok this is the most confusing poo poo ever so if someone could lend an informed opinion I'd much appreciate it.

So Cave Story 3D (the remade boxed release) is stupidly expensive in the UK. Like £80 on eBay. No problem I thought, I'll just download it from the eShop. It is listed but apparently "This game in not available in the eShop". Well poo poo. But there was a DSi version so I'll just download that instead. Actually nope because that got removed from the DSiware store. However they replaced it with an updated version on the eShop to fit the different 3DS screens size, which was basically a port of Cave Story+ that appeared on Steam. Except that it doesn't appear to be on the eShop at all either.

I don't know if the updated version actually got released (maybe someone with a NA 3DS can check their eShop) but to boil it down there are 3 versions of this game out there for 3DS and none are available for first hand retail in the UK. Ugh.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bean posted:

MY HUSBAND bought a teal 3DS at launch, which is fine, but I demand all of my things be purple and it kills me that there's a purple 3DS out now. It would be stupid to buy two of the same system for the color

Marie Schrader? Is that you?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Raffles posted:

Ok this is the most confusing poo poo ever so if someone could lend an informed opinion I'd much appreciate it.

There's a Cave Story+, which is a DSiWare title. It is not available in Europe because Nicalis are a terrible company.

There's a Cave Story 3D, which does not look very good because it replaced all sprite art with some lame 3D models because Nicalis are a terrible company. It is otherwise the same game as Plus. This is a retail-only game that is available in Europe because NISA are cool people who localize games from other companies here. However, being NISA, they also print games in very limited quantities, thus this version is rather rare now.

Story cut short, get Cave Story+ on Steam.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

Saoshyant posted:

I must be missing something - what's wrong in that shot? EDIT: Oh derp I see it now. Haha.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Dehry posted:

Just in case any of you still had hope that Nintendo would do some neat stuff with their Gameboy Virtual Console

The door on the right only opens on a GBA. They didn't take the time to make it work in VC.

So don't get Oracle of Seasons on 3DS, then?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's unfortunate, but a very small thing. I totally forgot that the Oracle games even had some extras if played on GBA. I'd be more pissed if the eShop versions didn't allow you to fight Ganon after beating them. Was that done through cable link or a passcode?

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Dehry posted:

Well of course they couldn't make it work, they were clearly too busy engineering the emulator to be 1:1 to put in silly gimmicks like that.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's unfortunate, but a very small thing. I totally forgot that the Oracle games even had some extras if played on GBA. I'd be more pissed if the eShop versions didn't allow you to fight Ganon after beating them. Was that done through cable link or a passcode?
The cable link was just an alternative to entering a long password, so I'm pretty sure you should still be able to fight Ganon.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Started playing the Adventure Time game yesterday after I got it for cheap from local game store. I didn't really expect heaps from this but I'm having a bunch of fun with it, aside from the frustrating fetch-quests. The theme song at the start sounds pretty bad but the rest of the game has just the greatest soundtrack.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Adventure time is all fetch quest. Though its pretty fun and will not drag on. Because it short. Super short.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
So do DS games look alright on the XL? Going to buy one next week as well as maybe DQIX and Spirit Tracks. What was the consensus on DQIX? I'd just be playing it on my own so I'm not sure if I'll be missing a lot of content.

Orchids!
May 17, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

Started playing the Adventure Time game yesterday after I got it for cheap from local game store. I didn't really expect heaps from this but I'm having a bunch of fun with it, aside from the frustrating fetch-quests. The theme song at the start sounds pretty bad but the rest of the game has just the greatest soundtrack.

I had a lot of fun with it too, though it's way too short. If you picked up the DS version, the 3DS one has much better sound quality for whatever reason and the voiced tracks are much better.

Seriously y'all, this game has a great soundtrack: http://www.soundcloud.com/d3publisher/sets/adventure-time-hey-ice-king-ost

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I played the DS version of adventure time. It was alright. I did think it wasted a lot of its license on fairly uninspired gameplay and there's a lot of corner-cutting in the game. The sprite work is really impressive though. It is really short and the New Game + is really disappointing. I did play the demo on 3DS and it looks amazing on the big screen but I definitely wouldn't feel the need to buy it again.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

tomkash posted:

So do DS games look alright on the XL? What was the consensus on DQIX? I'd just be playing it on my own so I'm not sure if I'll be missing a lot of content.

I think that DS games look very nice on the XL, although some people will complain that it isn't pixel perfect like it might be on the DSi XL.

DQ IX is very good, though. I don't recall doing any Wifi stuff with it, and I had a blast.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

tomkash posted:

So do DS games look alright on the XL? Going to buy one next week as well as maybe DQIX and Spirit Tracks. What was the consensus on DQIX? I'd just be playing it on my own so I'm not sure if I'll be missing a lot of content.
Best DQ game, possibly best DS RPG. You miss literally zero if you don't interact with anyone else who plays it ever, since it's not co-op, but make sure to connect to wifi at least once to download the 65 extra quests.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

With the XL at least, if the scaling bothers you that much, the 1:1 mode is the same size as a DS Lite screen. It looks fine for most games, though. Some sprite-based games look a little muddy, but that's it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Raften posted:

Okay, I have been trying to back up my sd card for a while, but no matter what my computer cannot read the sd card. The card reader works fine, and it works in my 3DS just fine. I can't find anything useful on google because most of the hits are about the 3DS not recognizing sd cards.

On this note, if my 3DS complains that the SD card has been removed three or four times in two days when I haven't touched the card at all, that probably means my SD card is defective, right? I replaced the card that came with the system with a new 32GB one two weeks ago and just started having these problems yesterday.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Bean posted:

Well you wouldn't want a purple XL to come out after you bought a purple 3DS would you. Then you'd have two 3DSes and no XL. Unless you're some kind of Wicked Purple Queen who literally demands everything is purple and makes her husband paint himself purple, I'd let it go.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Thuryl posted:

On this note, if my 3DS complains that the SD card has been removed three or four times in two days when I haven't touched the card at all, that probably means my SD card is defective, right? I replaced the card that came with the system with a new 32GB one two weeks ago and just started having these problems yesterday.

That is correct. Or at least it's the exact same behavior you get on an android phone when you have a crappy card. Though I have only noticed it on 32 gig ones from lesser known manufacturers. I just went down to a 16 gig class 10 card from lexar, cheap because it's not very high capacity, but still more than needed on the 3ds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Well you wouldn't want a purple XL to come out after you bought a purple 3DS would you. Then you'd have two 3DSes and no XL. Unless you're some kind of Wicked Purple Queen who literally demands everything is purple and makes her husband paint himself purple, I'd let it go.

On the other hand there's a method for copying the contents of one device to another and then you could recoup part of the price of the XL by selling the 3DS.

• Locked thread