Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Strength and Athletics

Keying Intimidate off Charisma causes the same situation. Unless he compensates for his racial lack of charisma at chargen, an orc warrior wielding an axe is naturally less intimidating than an elven farmer wielding a corncob.

I've heard this rationalized as "more charismatic people know what buttons to press and can appeal more effectively to people's fear", but come on, not all intimidation is deep-seated psychology. You don't need to be Sigmund Freud to bellow at somebody half your size and threaten them with a battle axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
This happens pretty regularly in D&D 4E, and in my Eberron campaign I've just been handing out 'trained' bonuses for specific skill checks where it makes sense -- the troubled veteran of the Last War with a background in quick, silent commando killing is intimidating, to hell with what his Charisma score is.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Chamale posted:

Absolutely. In the deck building thread we've come up with a deck that uses creatures, in a sense, to summon a 60/60 giant death creature on the first turn, and there are decks built around Tendrils of Agony that win games without ever playing a creature. One popular deck in Modern (a format restricted to the cards made since 2003) has only one win condition in it, a single Pyrite Spellbomb, and once it gets going it can return it from the discard pile to play any number of times to kill the opponent. A deck in Legacy has no win condition at all, but uses Cunning Wish to bring in a Blue Sun's Zenith from outside the game.

I recall reading a great :smug: post where someone was talking about playing a Storm deck against a casual player. It went something like:

How does that Blue Sun Zenith thing work? Surely X is zero, since you didn't pay any mana at all to play it?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It goes into your hand, so you still have to play it as normal.

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!
In Shadowrun 3 there was a plethora of gear made available thorugh the many supplements released during its (relatively) long life, and one rule stated quite firmly in the core book was that body armor stacked together was bad, granting only modestly more protection at a significant penalty to the character.

Then something called an Actioneer Long Coat and Form Fitting Body Armor came along, with special caveats in their rules that said "These things stack with armor with no penalty and look totally normal". Suddenly a character could double their armor rating without looking like a man swaddled in six flak jackets. These items together with a basic armor item from the corebook barely set a character back a few thousand nuyen at most, chump change in comparison to the armor with the same rating that was obviously designed for heavy combat and costs thousands more.

Combined with cyberware and bioware, and a high Body(aka stamina/con) score, you could easily make a Street Samurai who could survive direct hits by Panther Assault Cannons(20mm-ish type anti-material weapon). While dressed in what looked like clothes he wore to go to the mailbox in the morning.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The Iron Kingdoms D20 had the exact same problem. Only like 30 times worse because having stacking armor in D&D is way more intense than in Shadowrun. Especially in Iron Kingdoms which was a setting with extremely low magic, so hand to hand and gunfighting was extremely common. The new edition fixes it pretty well though, but thats because its a whole new system (basically Steampunk Mutant Chronicles, which is fitting because the whole setting is pretty much Mutant Chronicles meets Mage Knight).

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Shadowrun is weird, but what I like best is that some in-game items seem exactly like they came out of something a player tried to do. I can imagine the following conversation happening between scientists or players and a GM.

"So, magic. It clearly exists, but science can't detect it."
"That's right, you need to be a living creature. I mean, science can still detect it's effects, but it juts thinks that fireball came from nowhere."
"So, can animals detect magic?"
"Ones that have Awakened, yes."
"So we could train magic-sniffer dogs."
"They'd be horribly expensive, but in theory."

At this point, a second player/scientist interjects.

"Well, how about cheaper animals. Like, magic mice?"
"That do what, squeak?"
"Ok, maybe not mice then... they'd have an astral form though, and you have to fight those to pass through, right?"
"That's right. Or go around."
"So if we awakened the mice and fitted them with biomonitors, and someone's astral form passed through it, they'd die and we'd know?"
"How are we going to get mice to space out evenly in the cavity wall though? Also, cyberware drains essence and magic, and I can't see a mouse having enough to support a biomonitor."
"You're right. This is crazy...

...we should awaken the ivy."

"Right, invisible wizards. A problem. Other wizards can just see their magic energy, but mundane people, no such luck."
"We can still use ultrasound and the like..."
"But that's really expensive. We need something cheaper."
"Magical sniffer dogs again?"
"Perhaps... perhaps not."
"You've got a crazy look there..."
"We can awaken any living thing, in theory, right? ANY living thing?"
"...yes?"
"Bacteria."
"You want magic germs?"
"We breed them to eat magic, and glow when they eat."

And finally...
"Sorry guys, I can only magic things I can see. And cameras don't count. It has to be the original light or something."
"So you can't throw electricity through CCTV?"
"'fraid not. Not unless you install an armoured periscope in the security booth."
"OK. Wait, no. Fibre-optics."

The moral of the story is: Science only doesn't work on magic if you're not using science properly.
And if you see a camera emerge from the ceiling, you shoot it. If you see a turret, you take cover. And if you see a mirror at a 45-degree angle run like hell.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I thought Awakening and Emerging in Shadowrun was a complete crapshoot. Like in theory the magic mice thing could work but have fun funneling through 20,000 specimens to get a magic one. And breeding is right out because like all science magic says gently caress you to genetics and just touches whatever it wants.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
The Star Trek CCG had this wonderful card:

The card isn't very clearly worded, so here's how it works: you declare that something was cool, and your opponent can either agree that it was cool and give you five points, or they can argue that it, in fact, wasn't cool at all, in which case you get to play an Event card. You can also use it to counter another Parallax Arguers card. According to the official rules, you're not supposed to take this card too seriously.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Didn't the Star Trek CCG also have some cards that referenced ones in expansions that never actually got printed? I remember a friend saying something like that, maybe about the Tox Utat and ways of disposing of it. I remember him bitching about more Klingon ships having holodecks than Federation ones, while there were many more Federation holograms too, which always struck me as funny.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Razorwired posted:

I thought Awakening and Emerging in Shadowrun was a complete crapshoot. Like in theory the magic mice thing could work but have fun funneling through 20,000 specimens to get a magic one. And breeding is right out because like all science magic says gently caress you to genetics and just touches whatever it wants.
That's why you go for ivy! Once you have a specimen you can cut parts of it off to transplant without worrying about breeding.

And they got that bacteria somehow. I'm pretty sure there are breed-true awakened critter varieties, as well.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 27, 2013

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Bieeardo posted:

Didn't the Star Trek CCG also have some cards that referenced ones in expansions that never actually got printed? I remember a friend saying something like that, maybe about the Tox Utat and ways of disposing of it. I remember him bitching about more Klingon ships having holodecks than Federation ones, while there were many more Federation holograms too, which always struck me as funny.

I remember Mot's Advice giving any character the Barbering skill, which I don't recall there being any use for.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
So, it has already been touched on, thus I think my first topic should definitely be one of my favorite tiles in all of Betrayal:
THE UNDERGROUND LAKE

And there you have the issue in a nutshell. This "Underground" Lake is a tile specifically designed to show up on the top floor of the house.
Of course, for any group that can think for more than five seconds consecutively, it's very clear what the best thing to do here is:
The Lake is beneath a huge hole in the house.
After all, it's shot from above, and we can clearly see two floors worth of wrecked brickwork. So when the tile is revealed, we treated it as such:

Developer-Approved House Rules posted:

The player who entered the Underground Lake on the Upper floor is safely dropped into the Basement, where the tile now resides. On the second floor, there is now a marker (the game comes with roughly 8 squintillion tokens, just pick any unused one) that represents the shattered room. Cards like The Rope which allow for quick movement between floors can be used here. Otherwise, entering the Upper Floor room always drops you, and you cannot get back up without an item.

The end result was that the game's Basement, which sometimes took a surprisingly long amount of time to get discovered, was found much earlier in most games, and the house had a more connected and organic feel. The total lack of a first-floor entrance to this particular space even added to the strange manipulated-space feel the entire house already gets in a good run.

And so now you know what the Rope mentioned in the first post does: It allows you to move up and down freely in places that bridge two floors, like blown-open rooms or the laundry chute. Only two pieces of that particular puzzle left...

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Paper Kaiju posted:

I remember Mot's Advice giving any character the Barbering skill, which I don't recall there being any use for.

There's a card called Reflection Therapy, which allows you to change one skill into any other skill. So you could take a character with no skills, such as Spot, use Mot's Advice to make him a skilled barber, and then use Reflection Therapy to turn him into a starship pilot. Which can be quite a surprise to an opponent who wasn't expecting the cat to do anything useful.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Patchwork Shaman posted:

There's a card called Reflection Therapy, which allows you to change one skill into any other skill. So you could take a character with no skills, such as Spot, use Mot's Advice to make him a skilled barber, and then use Reflection Therapy to turn him into a starship pilot. Which can be quite a surprise to an opponent who wasn't expecting the cat to do anything useful.

Wow, with no knowledge of the game (or who/what Mot is) I assumed that was a typo for 'bartering'. Barbering, huh?

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg

PublicOpinion posted:

Wow, with no knowledge of the game (or who/what Mot is) I assumed that was a typo for 'bartering'. Barbering, huh?

No sir, it was, in fact, entirely meant to say BARBERING.
You know the idea of a barber, a bartender, or some other service person who usually chats with their customers, giving sage advice?
Well, Mot was like that.
But he only really had the one thing he was good at.
So all of the advice?
Barbering.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Oh God, the stories I could tell about the loving mess that was the Star Trek CCG.

The original game was based on some simple, neat ideas. In the pre-game phase, you play a bunch of missions to make a spaceline and then seed dilemmas to keep your opponent from completing his missions (the goal of the game is to complete missions and get 100 points). Then, in the actual game, you played guys and ships to go around and accomplish your missions.

The issue with this is that instead of it being a fun, exciting game to play with a friend, it turns out to be just playing solitaire one card at a time. The total interaction with your opponent in most games was facing their dilemmas, and the occasional hiccup Event (enchantment) or Interrupt. Building a deck for combat meant that you sacrificed cards necessary to outrace your opponent to a points win, and so aggro was just not a thing. Imagine the worst parts of Legacy combo Magic combined with all the excitement of amateur chess.

The design was abysmal, too, in keeping with all nineties TCGs. The first set had an infinite fetch loop AND a way to win the game and lose the game at the same time. There was no costing mechanic - you played one card a turn irrelevant of power level, so there was literally no incentive to not play all of the best cards (and there was no limit to number of duplicate cards per deck, although most of the good personnel and ships were Unique).

And Then It Got Worse.

See, in the first set, there was this card:

Basically, you go to attempt a mission, and this bad motherfucker pops up and wrecks your poo poo. It then proceeds to trample across the spaceline and wreck everybody's poo poo. It was a cool card, very flavorful. There was also this interrupt:

Which was utterly useless.

Then, a few sets later, Decipher released an actual Borg faction, with Borg personnel and ships and different win conditions because Borg don't score points for missions like everybody else. The problem is that RAW a Borg Ship dilemma would attack an actual Borg ship. Rogue Borg would kill real Borg (which I guess made some kind of sense). In a similar vein, Cardassian and Ferengi were originally Neutral affiliation personnel and so this dude:

couldn't properly command this ship

even though he's a Cardassian Gul (Captain).

As the sets rolled on, the game became even more of a mess. There were at least three kinds of side decks (Q-Tent, Alternate Universe, and Tribbles) and they all worked differently. Playing the game meant memorizing (or at least keeping on hand) fifty-plus pages of errata and rulings.

God, I miss that game.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Solomonic posted:

Keying Intimidate off Charisma causes the same situation. Unless he compensates for his racial lack of charisma at chargen, an orc warrior wielding an axe is naturally less intimidating than an elven farmer wielding a corncob.

What makes it worse is that in 3E, other races get racial bonuses to various skills right off the bat, but orcs/half-orcs don't get anything like that. Unless you took a feat. That's right, and orc being incredibly frightening is something you have to work for and practice.

In 4E, it was half-fixed. Half-orcs get a +2 bonus to intimidate, but not full-blooded orcs.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Gau posted:

The design was abysmal, too, in keeping with all nineties TCGs. The first set had an infinite fetch loop AND a way to win the game and lose the game at the same time.

I vaguely remember this game, but I never knew either of those. I have to ask, how'd they work?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Please keep posting about the Star Trek CCG. My friends and I had a collection of these when we were around 8, and never figured out how to play the game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Gau posted:

The design was abysmal, too, in keeping with all nineties TCGs. The first set had an infinite fetch loop AND a way to win the game and lose the game at the same time. There was no costing mechanic - you played one card a turn irrelevant of power level, so there was literally no incentive to not play all of the best cards (and there was no limit to number of duplicate cards per deck, although most of the good personnel and ships were Unique).

It's particularly abysmal.

I seem to recall those early sets being very much "you'd better collect the the (rare) Enterprise crew or gently caress you", since the lack of play costs meaning you were punished for having anything other than the best and brightest cards in the set, which was generally Picard & Co. And I recall there being some ridiculously powerful one-episode neutral ship that, since there's no casting costs, everybody used religiously.

It may be one of the worst TCGs I had the opportunity to play aside from Ani-Mayhem.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 27, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ariamaki posted:

Developer-Approved House Rules
That also fixes the "Lake behind the labyrinth" issue, since it (presumably) follows the same "Attach to a basement location of the player's choice" rules as the coal chute.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Here's a story from a game I was watching during a Bye at Friday Night Magic a few months ago, seems like this is the place to put it.

One guy was playing a deck that had a bunch of enchantments and multiple copies of Sphere of Safety keeping the cost of X way above the amount of mana his opponent could ever play.
His opponent had out three Primordial Hydras and three Corpsejack Menaces, meaning that at the beginning of his upkeep his hydras added eight times their current number of +1/+1 counters to their total. The enchantment guy didn't have any way to actually kill his hydras, and neither the doubling effect of the Hydra or the multiplication of the Corpsejack are optional.

We were using d20s and d10s to keep track of the numbers of counters on the hydras up until about the hundreds of thousands, after that point we just kept track of the number they were at and put a pip mark on the sheet every time his upkeep came around, so we could do the math later. Enchantment dude was unable to actually kill Hydra guy outright because Sphere of Safety doesn't prevent his creatures from blocking, and an a Hydra is going to kill anything he tries to attack with, except flyers. Which was apparently his win condition, lock down your opponent and slowly plink them to death, but when you play Sheltering Word on an arbitrarily large creature that ceases to be an option.
So it became a hilarious arms race as enchantment guy tried to play more and more enchantments while the Hydra guy desperately tried to get some kind of enchantment removal or enough mana to pay for the Spheres.

By the time he was finally able to attack it was for 45,753,583,909,922 damage

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg

Splicer posted:

That also fixes the "Lake behind the labyrinth" issue, since it (presumably) follows the same "Attach to a basement location of the player's choice" rules as the coal chute.

Exactly correct! It was basically the same functional concept, but with a two-floor drop (I can't remember if the Chute is a Ground-only room, and my game is in the car).

My apologies for not having any more content right now, but I want to make sure I do this bit well, and, you see...
The printed errata, on 8.5*11 printer paper, that I have?
Is a sheet thicker than all three instruction manuals combined.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's particularly abysmal.

I seem to recall those early sets being very much "you'd better collect the the (rare) Enterprise crew or gently caress you", since the lack of play costs meaning you were punished by having anything other than the best and brightest cards in the set, which was generally Picard & Co. And I recall being some ridiculously powerful one-episode neutral ship that, since there's no casting costs, everybody used religiously.

I'm pretty sure it had to be designed with collectors in mind, instead of trying to make an actual game out of it. I had ridiculous run of good luck and got Data and the Enterprise in my first starter, and Dr. Crusher in my first booster. If I remember correctly,I could complete most of the missions I had with just one or the other.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

gninjagnome posted:

I'm pretty sure it had to be designed with collectors in mind, instead of trying to make an actual game out of it. I had ridiculous run of good luck and got Data and the Enterprise in my first starter, and Dr. Crusher in my first booster. If I remember correctly,I could complete most of the missions I had with just one or the other.

Oh no, they promoted the hell out of it as a competitive game. Speaking of, here's the card that was worth $50 and could accomplish entire missions all by his lonesome:

He was the only character for a long time who had six "skills" (those red dot things). As the game crawled on and expansions mounted, they decided to release a new version of the second best captain of the Enterprise:

that sucks rear end. They cut out three of his skills and added the ability to "download" (fetch) two cards that let you fetch other cards, one of which can fetch other cards - the chain goes on and on. (Decipher was trying address the fact that deckbuilding had become less like rock-paper-scissors and more like russian roulette by allowing you to pack contingency cards like this. This meant that instead of a 60-card deck, you're talking 60 card main deck + ~30 card Q deck + ~15 card Alternate Universe deck. It didn't work.) Oh, and he has less Integrity but is somehow smarter now.

Because they have the same name, the game treats them as the same card - meaning that even though you can have the USS Enterprise and the USS Enterprise-E on the board at the same time, you can't have their respective commanders. For an added bonus, the old Picard can't command the new Enterprise and vice versa. There was a huge rules argument over the game state - technically, each card is identified by its name, so this (and all of the other First Contact reissues) were both cards, at once, all the time. This was never addressed in any fashion.

As Dr. Seuss said, that is not all! Oh no, that is not all!

The rules for Borg said that any character with Borg in its flavor text was a Borg, so Jean-Luc Picard has retroactively always been a Borg. They did errata that away, but it didn't stop hundreds of table arguments.

For some reason I still love this game.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Gau posted:

Because they have the same name, the game treats them as the same card - meaning that even though you can have the USS Enterprise and the USS Enterprise-E on the board at the same time, you can't have their respective commanders. For an added bonus, the old Picard can't command the new Enterprise and vice versa. There was a huge rules argument over the game state - technically, each card is identified by its name, so this (and all of the other First Contact reissues) were both cards, at once, all the time. This was never addressed in any fashion.

Well, to be fair, they are different ships (totally different classes, too).

:goonsay: If you want to split hairs, the only Enterprises impossible to coexist would be the TOS Connie and the TMP Refit, being literally the same ship (eventually destroyed in The Search for Spock and replaced by the virtually identical Enterprise-A, also a Refit Constitution).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It may be one of the worst TCGs I had the opportunity to play aside from Ani-Mayhem.
Speaking of Ani-Mayhem, the original set had character cards who could fight other player's and stuff. The negative outcomes of this were getting Bonked or Killed.

There was one character, Dr. Tofu, who had the special ability of characters on your side at his location could not be Bonked or Killed.

Dr. Tofu was a character. If you had Dr. Tofu in your team rolling around they were invincible.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
In the Star Wars CCG, there are rules clarifying that:

* Any time a card says "the Death Star", it refers only to the original Death Star, rather than the Death Star II.
* A stormtrooper isn't a trooper, nor is a blaster rifle a blaster.
* Zero is an even number.
* "Prepositions (at, on, aboard, to, with, from, in etc.)... have their normal English language connotations."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wait as in Dr. Tofu the Ranma 1/2 character? :psyduck:

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Zereth posted:

Dr. Tofu was a character. If you had Dr. Tofu in your team rolling around they were invincible.

Ugh, the loving vegan lobby has their claws in everything :rolleyes:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Oh, this sounds like a fun time to talk about Yugioh. Let's look at a few random banned cards!

(Easy targets today.)

Put this card in your deck, get two cards free when you draw it. It's a free +1 hand advantage. Needless to say it's been on the ban list forever.

Fear the bird. When it attacks and does life damage, it stops your opponent from drawing a card during the draw phase. If you take the time to set things up, you can stop your opponent from doing anything and keep playing with them as long as you want.

Next time: Strange banned interactions.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

SystemLogoff posted:

Put this card in your deck, get two cards free when you draw it. It's a free +1 hand advantage. Needless to say it's been on the ban list forever.
I never understood why this was banworthy, frankly. You're only allowed three or four of them in your deck (I forget which) so your chances of drawing it are never very high.

They did the same thing in the Pokémon TCG with Bill, but the one I really hated was when they banned Professor Oak and made you use Imposter Professor Oak instead - the exact same card, but with a fifty percent chance of doing nothing. The video game has attacks that do absolutely nothing 50% of the time - virtually nobody uses them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait as in Dr. Tofu the Ranma 1/2 character? :psyduck:
Yes. See, he's a doctor! This is perfectly sufficient to keep you from being knocked out when hit with a weaponized starship shield, right?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
For a kind of mediocre collectathon anime show one thing I did always like was that in the episode where the main character fights against someone who is using a God Card to set up a situation where he can't lose, the hero wins by exploiting some basic flaws in the games rules to force opponent to cede defeat on a technicality. The writer's inspiration from Magic is clear in a few places.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Prison Warden posted:

For a kind of mediocre collectathon anime show one thing I did always like was that in the episode where the main character fights against someone who is using a God Card to set up a situation where he can't lose, the hero wins by exploiting some basic flaws in the games rules to force opponent to cede defeat on a technicality. The writer's inspiration from Magic is clear in a few places.

Makes me miss the actual first season where Yugi straight up murdered people with games and deathtraps.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Crosscontaminant posted:

I never understood why this was banworthy, frankly. You're only allowed three or four of them in your deck (I forget which) so your chances of drawing it are never very high.
Probably because it forces everyone to buy three copies of it for each of their decks and waste 3/40 of their deck slots on it or be punished. And in terms of gameplay it just gives random players bonuses for drawing it (almost nothing can search it, and there's no resource system so there's never a reason not to play it). And doesn't add anything positive to the game to make up for that.

In a game with a lot of weird rules, here's possibly the oddest:

Pretty straightforward effect, right? A lot of effects, particularly summoning strong monsters, require you to sacrifice a monster you already have in play to use. So you should be able to sacrifice this guy to summon a monster and draw a card, right?

Wrong. That's how it would work if the effect said "You draw a card." But instead it says "You may draw a card." If you were required to draw a card, you'd draw it, but because the card makes it optional, you're actually not allowed to - because of the way the timing rules work, if you sacrifice it as part of a cost, you don't get a chance to make the choice to draw a card, so you just never get to draw one. The effect being optional instead of mandatory makes the effect unusable.

The rule is called "Missing the Timing" and is not implied anywhere by any card text.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Crosscontaminant posted:

Because there is no cost to use it, besides the card itself, and individual cards in Yu-Gi-Oh can get ludicrously powerful.

cammy14
Apr 5, 2011

Crosscontaminant posted:

In most other CCGs you still have to have the required resources to play the cards you draw. Even in Pokemon if you draw a Mewtwo with Bill you still must power him up with energy cards, of which you can only play one per turn. This is not the case in Yu-Gi-Oh, where the only costs to play a card (if any; at least 80% of the card pool can be played for free) are discarding other cards or paying life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The weirdest Magic deck I ever saw was a guy who only played in groups and for ante. His deck was built around using Demonic Attorney to force everyone to ante repeatedly, and then using another card (I think it was Darkpact) to pick the best cards out of the ante and replace them with junk from his deck. He had no offense and no way to actually win the game by the rules; his entire strategy was to survive long enough to loot some good cards and then go out.

I'm amazed he ever got through a game without everyone trying to throw him out the window.