Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MUFFlNS posted:

As far as I know, it was a NaughtyDog symbol next to their PSN ID when sitting in the lobby waiting for a match to start (like how you get a silver star in the corner if you complete all co-op maps on Crushing).

Yeah, it's lame as hell :(

That's awesome in my opinion. :D (i'm easily amused) I was hoping it would be all of the DLC or something. Wishful thinking. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Are you a developer who has experience with next gen hardware or something?

Sony said themselves this isn't going to be an issue. There is more than enough processing power and memory in the PS4.

Yeah, no. Shalinor laid this out already, but you don't need to be a dev to know that 60fps comes with a cost. There isn't some special part in the console that just magically gives you 60fps and can't be used for anything else (unless there is and I'm missing something). The processing power needed for higher framerates can also be used to give the game things like vsync, more on-screen objects, better lighting/modeling/textures/etc., and at some point the devs have to choose what they consider to be more important. I think 60fps is more important. Many disagree. But the fact is that even if a dev manages to get a game looking like the best AAA 30fps games while running at 60fps, that same game could have ended up looking even better at 30.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Are you a developer who has experience with next gen hardware or something?

Sony said themselves this isn't going to be an issue. There is more than enough processing power and memory in the PS4.
Seems like kind of a step down you know? Considering the PS3 could run games at 120 FPS. Also how the PS2 was literally the Matrix.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So they announced Assassins Creed IV.

Didn't the 3rd one come out like 4 months ago?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It wasn't an official announce, just sort of leaks and stuff.

Also rear end Creed is on the Madden yearly update schedule now.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Alteisen posted:

So they announced Assassins Creed IV.

Didn't the 3rd one come out like 4 months ago?

Well, yearly AC games aren't a new thing. This one's probably been in development for a while, using the exact same engine as AC3.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Harlock posted:

It wasn't an official announce, just sort of leaks and stuff.

Also rear end Creed is on the Madden yearly update schedule now.
Nah man Ubisoft officially announced it and released the cover art today. More info is coming on Monday.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Brotherhood came out pretty much exactly a year after AC2 and it's up there as one of the best entries in the series. They had the basic groundwork done with AC2 and built on that for AC:B, I'd assume it's more or less the same with AC3 and Black Flag.

E:

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 28, 2013

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Assassin's Creed 3 is actually what convinced me to stop pre-ordering as much as I did, especially for big titles like that. It felt like a waste at $60. I probably won't even look to getting 4 until after release.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
I know people have all kinds of opinions, positive and negative, regarding Assassin's Creed at this point. For me, I still really look forward to playing each new one, and I've been looking all over for a good pirate-themed game lately, so I'm pretty psyched. Also, we've already gotten confirmation that PS3 will have 60 minutes of exclusive gameplay, so if you're looking forward to this game, that's good news. Hopefully it's an hour of additional naval battles.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-28-assassins-creed-4-black-flag-confirmed-by-ubisoft-has-60-minutes-exclusive-gameplay-on-ps3

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Looks like the game is a prequel to Assassin's Creed 3. That will certainly help to reuse the same engine/assets depending on how far back in history they're going. If they stay in the 1700s at least.

That French Revolution game isn't so impossible after all.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm looking forward to this, too, for various reasons. The extra 60 minutes of gameplay may not translate to anything significant but it's a nice bonus nonetheless. And there's no doubt the game will be full of ship combat; the theme is a huge giveaway obviously but the naval battles were among the few things AC3 was universally praised for and they'll definitely put that back in anyway.

Harlock posted:

Looks like the game is a prequel to Assassin's Creed 3. That will certainly help to reuse the same engine/assets depending on how far back in history they're going. If they stay in the 1700s at least.

Black Flag is set in 1715, so it's definitely a prequel. You'll be playing as Connor's grandfather.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Harlock posted:

Now the Assassin's Creed series is something you should almost never preorder. I picked up Revelations for $8 new one year after release (thank you black friday) I'm sure Black Friday this year will give me AC3 for less than $15.

Thanks for being a yearly release and destroying the value of previous releases.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Harlock posted:

Plus it's a pirate game, so I guess we can look forward to a lot more of the sailing gameplay. I wonder if Edward Kenway will be a real, straight-up rape/murder/pillage pirate, or will we be getting something more Pirates of the Caribbean?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sid Meiers' Pirates in the rear end Creed engine. The best open world Pirate game ever?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harlock posted:

Sid Meiers' Pirates in the rear end Creed engine. The best open world Pirate game ever?

I would believe it if this wasn't going to be a Ubisoft game. That idea is too cool.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Seriously, I'd love to see more depth put into the ship stuff. Controlling it and the guns is fun and all but I'd like there to be missions set onboard the ship where you could climb around and head below deck to do stuff. Ship stuff, not just fighting.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Didn't Ubisoft say they were going to give the Assassin's Creed franchise a break from the annual titles after 3 or am I misremembering?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

One thing I want to know - what was the Caribbean in 1715 like in terms of city and town structure?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DangerKat posted:

Didn't Ubisoft say they were going to give the Assassin's Creed franchise a break from the annual titles after 3 or am I misremembering?

Would be nice if they did, but it makes way too much money.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Did anyone actually care about the Desmond arc and the whole conspiracy crap? I know there's an element of other worldly things at play with the Pieces of Eden and all that junk, but I think the games are just more enjoyable as a historical murdering simulator. They should just drop the whole guise of the Animus/Desmond/Future-whatever and just make it centered around these period pieces.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Harlock posted:

Did anyone actually care about the Desmond arc and the whole conspiracy crap? I know there's an element of other worldly things at play with the Pieces of Eden and all that junk, but I think the games are just more enjoyable as a historical murdering simulator. They should just drop the whole guise of the Animus/Desmond/Future-whatever and just make it centered around these period pieces.

I cared about it a bit in the first game, because you didn't know much and it had some potential to be sorta cool. Then they started with all of the conspiracy and 2012 and ancient beings stuff, and I just couldn't give a poo poo anymore. Anything else that comes along should only address the Animus in passing, at best.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Harlock posted:

I just liked running around, exploring old cities, and stabbing dudes. Still gotta catch up, I'm halfway through Brotherhood.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

So, what important historical event was going on around 1715?

AC1: The Crusades
AC2: The Renaissance
AC3: The American Revolution
AC4: ... pirates?

:iiam:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Krad posted:

Pirates weren't just pirates, they were privateers. The age of piracy wasn't really about looting and stealing, it was about a war between the major powers, fought by proxy.

... I guess you could say it's a lot like the middle east was in the 80's, in that sense, just swap oil for control of trade routes.

What you're probably going to see is an over-story involving the Templars vying for control of the region, with the plucky pirates fighting them off. I imagine it'll gloss over the "most pirates were actually funded by other governments" bit, and we'll get the Pirates Of The Caribbean take on the story instead.

EDIT: I am not a historian, so I'm probably describing it wrong, but my understanding is it's one of those "there was a heck of a lot more going on under the surface" periods in history, which is to say, tons and tons to draw on for a game story.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 28, 2013

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Krad posted:

Sounds just fine to me. :colbert:

I bought Brohood for cheap, but I am waiting to play it until I finish Persona 3. God drat it, Persona 3. I'm grinding more than in my Tony Hawk 2 days.

Still love the game, but a few balance tweaks would've made me realize "Oh, hey, you probably need to level and pay more attention to poo poo than you are"

AC2 is one of my favorite games, so I can't wait to play Brohood, and even AC3 really. And AC with pirates sounds like a fun concept.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Krad posted:

AC4: ... Captain Jack Sparrow Was Really a Templar

The "Fifteen" an uprising by the Jacobites against King George the I and some golden age of piracy stuff. I think Spain loses out big time (again) some major lost silver/gold ships to English pirates.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Harlock posted:

Honestly. I really enjoyed it. I found the concept of the First Civilisation, the historical conspiracies (the glyph puzzles were amazing, as was the Truth video), and the present-day assassins really interesting. I genuinely hope Black Flag continues on from AC3's ending, I can't wait to see what happens with Juno.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm having a hard time imagining a pirate captain running around a city climbing buildings and stuff...

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm having a hard time imagining a pirate captain running around a city climbing buildings and stuff...

Well, I believe it was confirmed that he is also an assassin, so he's not your run-of-the-mill pirate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

You did in AC3 as a captain/assassin/vengeance-hungry-yet-fundamentally-American youth so I guess it'll be the same here.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

You did in AC3 as a captain/assassin/vengeance-hungry-yet-fundamentally-American youth so I guess it'll be the same here.
Well, the ship captain never really felt like it fit in with everything else there either. Ship combat was fun as hell, but felt like it belonged in another game. I guess this is going to be that game?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

BreakAtmo posted:

Honestly. I really enjoyed it. I found the concept of the First Civilisation, the historical conspiracies (the glyph puzzles were amazing, as was the Truth video), and the present-day assassins really interesting. I genuinely hope Black Flag continues on from AC3's ending, I can't wait to see what happens with Juno.

I liked the conspiracy stuff in AC2 a lot. :respek:

Probably due to my dad being into conspiracies [not believing them, but just studying them and being fascinated by them] and getting me into it. I think it's pretty cool stuff. :shobon:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BreakAtmo posted:

One thing I want to know - what was the Caribbean in 1715 like in terms of city and town structure?
The Spanish had some pretty substantial settlements in the colonial period. Mexico City was the largest colonial city in the Americas but Havana, for example, was a bigger city than New York for much of the eighteenth century. It was a major port and thanks to sugar plantations Cuba was one of the largest slave societies in the world (and didn't abolish it until 1884).

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I personally like the modern day story. And they sure as hell better keep going at it after that poo poo ending in 3.

The conspiracy stuff was awesome. Gave the games a Da Vinci Code feeling. Like yeah, you're playing through history, but you're also unraveling the real truth behind it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

My main beef with it is not that I hate how it's written and the lame characters, but how superfluous and pointless it is to the main aspect of the game, the aspect that makes the games unique which is the historical stuff. Literally nothing would be lost from that if they axed the modern-day stuff.

Even the game interface is meant to be the there because of the Animus, but how many people would require an explanation for there being button prompts and the like onscreen? The Desmond sections never have any kind of interface because... it's only in the Animus. They even point this out in AC3 when the gameplay camera isn't some magical, invisible camera (which people would probably be fine with since it is a video game) but no, it has to be some tiny hovering drone behind Desmond.

My hope for AC:BF is that because it's pirate/ocean themed, the cities could basically be anywhere. On the Caribbean, sure, but what stops them from sailing to other locations on the globe? AC2 had three cities linked and it'd be great if the ocean part would be a means of traveling to story missions in different places on top of being its own thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Assassins Creed would have been many times better if the animus, modern day horse poo poo was left out. All of that stuff was dumb.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

But there has to be some justification for all the gameplay elements, right?

Oh wait, no there loving doesn't.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I thought the animus was an interesting take on using flashbacks to jump around the historical stories, but I really hate the modern day stuff.

Honestly, I think it's mostly that ubisoft has really cool ideas, but lovely writers that can't live up to the promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

But there has to be some justification for all the gameplay elements, right?

Oh wait, no there loving doesn't.
But then people might know that... that they're playing a video game. :ohdear:

They don't need an excuse for us to be able to play as some dude in the 16th century or whatever. It's a game, I can buy that I can control some guy. The lineage stuff is interesting, sure, but why use some mcguffin when the character can just be a descendant and the game can start from his birth. Boom. No need to jack into the matrix and explore our DNA memories (which is super dumb anyway).

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 28, 2013

• Locked thread