Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Dorroile posted:

Those are some pretty great voices! It definitely made me realize that what works in a comic format doesn't necessarily work in animation, though. The pacing just ends up feeling weird.

This is true to an extent but I think the kind of animation plays a huge factor. There's no smearing in the animations, where something gets distorted or suddenly exists in multiples, to emphasize action. It helps with the fluidity and flow of the animation. Like this:

Which is why I like Shmorky's animation, from earlier in the thread. He rules at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
The fact that the toilet party is up for animating gives me great joy, 'cause it's one of my favorite arcs. I'd love to see it expanded so we can see animated Ray get sort of stoned!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dominion posted:

You can hear someone in the party scene talking about fancy foodie poo poo like Osso Buco, I assumed that was Teodor and you just can't see his mouth move because, well, because Teodor's mouth is sort of weird.

I think that was Pat. It looked like the voice was synced to his lips.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I also like how Pat is standing in the shower for no reason.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The voices are all off for me, but the humor remains intact and that's the important thing (and I'll get used to the voices).

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

The only thing I don't like about the voices is that my cat is also named Ray Smuckles and now I'm going to associate Toby Huss with the non-Achewood Ray.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

It's probably racist, but I imagined Ray to be blacker and less Texan, which is all I hear.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
There is something about Ray's cadence that just makes him sound like he is not talking to another person. He sounds like he is talking to his dog.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I really, really didn't like that test footage. As a number of people have said, it's utterly stilted - the timing sucks every last bit of comedy out of it, probably because I guess the actors weren't in the same room as each other during the line reading. I've showed it to a few people who know nothing about Achewood, and they hated it. If this is what they're showing to the networks to pick it up then they're in trouble. I don't think this is going to work.

Although Onstad as Roast Beef was dead on.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 1, 2013

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Oh this is never actually going to happen, but its fun to pretend for a bit.

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I really, really didn't like that test footage. As a number of people have said, it's utterly stilted - the timing sucks every last bit of comedy out of it, probably because I guess the actors weren't in the same room as each other during the line reading. I've showed it to a few people who know nothing about Achewood, and they hated it. If this is what they're showing to the networks to pick it up then they're in trouble. I don't think this is going to work.

Although Onstad as Roast Beef was dead on.

Yeah, the line reading is awful, but it's achewood. I can only hope they get it together if it gets picked up.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Thanks for uploading to youtube! God drat, I hope this gets picked up.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, the big problems I see with the line reading can be summed up by two things: one, the actors probably haven't really settled into their roles yet, and two, it was probably Onstad himself doing the ADR directing, which is something that he's likely never done before. They seem like problems that are fairly exclusive to the test footage.

e: Also, Pat's mouth was moving when the talking about squash osso bucco happened, and early on in that arc Pat tried to get people to eat his awful attempts at imitiating decent food, so I'm assuming that's supposed to be him.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 1, 2013

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

quote:

Scones are like if classical music was a cookie, and the teacher said you had to memorize it, or they would make you smell their gas.

In the car.

With the windows up.

At seven a.m.

So it was their morning gas.

I have a good feeling about this.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I always thought ray would have a black guy voice, his grandfather being an old blues man and all.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Scones was pretty good. And Onstad ain't doing too bad a job of talking in a small font.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I always thought ray would have a black guy voice, his grandfather being an old blues man and all.

See I never did, since he is from suburbia and played soccer and his mom is like the whitest mom ever. He was also really into skateboarding and BMX bikes. It's a dumb distinction though as they are cats.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Yeah, it's not a perfectly polished product, but I liked watching that clip. I think the comic pacing was the most off in the bits adapting pre-existing comics but the original material worked really well, the scones bit especially. That one just felt like a perfectly Achewoodian conversation written with a mind to the pacing needs of animation rather than a comic strip.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

See I never did, since he is from suburbia and played soccer and his mom is like the whitest mom ever. He was also really into skateboarding and BMX bikes. It's a dumb distinction though as they are cats.

Ray is super white, and Teodor calls him out in one comic about his dialect and deep voice. Also his goatee is so hell of wispy a spider covets, because of his French ancestry.

Locus fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 1, 2013

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Ray sounds like some honky-tonk blowjob that I could find down at the "Electric Cowboy".

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
I think the 'Pentagon' caption underneath the shot of the White House deserves more love.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
I thought the test footage was pretty good. The main problem with the voices is that they sound sort of "'phoned in," which they probably literally were.

Ray sounds almost exactly how I imagined - a white guy trying to sound black. Roast Beef is pretty good too.

I hope this happens. If not, I hope it at least helps Onstad decide to have optimism.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Yeah, like most everyone else I thought that Ray's voice was slightly "off", but I'd be more worried if this was, say, a clipshow from a fully-animated season that's in the can, and not a demo reel put together for the purpose of showing off to network execs. If the show does get picked up, I feel pretty confident that they'd be able to do right by the strip.

And if worse comes to worse, they could always just do The Todd and Teodor Show instead. :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And if worse comes to worse, they could always just do The Todd and Teodor Show instead. :v:

Todd heard the perfect thing to say. He heard a thing so perfect to him, his life ended.

I love this strip so much.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_97q16TFxk

Here, I tossed it on youtube for you all.

Enjoy.

I'm glad that's just an animation test because that line-reading is beyond bad.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah, Onstad has this amazing style of writing and humor which always not only cracks me up but leaves me chuckling for ages. Like today, I saw the "Best of Hot Tub Brawls" strip an hour or so ago and I've been cracking up over the alt text ever since. "You can do whatever you want in life" is such a perfect addition to that strip.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

You can tell they're THIS CLOSE to cashin' it ALL IN for another RIP on the PIPE, son!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeah, like most everyone else I thought that Ray's voice was slightly "off", but I'd be more worried if this was, say, a clipshow from a fully-animated season that's in the can, and not a demo reel put together for the purpose of showing off to network execs. If the show does get picked up, I feel pretty confident that they'd be able to do right by the strip.

Todd's on this thing so often, he should have theme music and bumpers.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The test footage is rough but still funny enough. If that's what's being used for the pitch and it doesn't get picked up it'll be the networks' fault, not Onstad et al's. My only concern is it looks like Ray's show all the way. Ray is hilarious and everything but Ray Presents The Ray Show Starring Ray As Ray could get tiring fast.

An awesome way to do the Great Outdoor Fight episode would be to have Beef and Ray do the Fight while everyone else do the Badass Games as a B-plot and then pile in Cornelius's school bus, pick up Ray and Beef and their Fight allies, and have a huge bacchanal at Kronos Cafe.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I check a thread at one AM. There is an Achewood animation with a possible series.

Is thisvreal? Am I awake? Did... Did I die?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm afraid you did, but you went to a very special hell.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Loomer posted:

I check a thread at one AM. There is an Achewood animation with a possible series.

Is thisvreal? Am I awake? Did... Did I die?

Here's your Subaru Brat

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I really liked the test footage. The only one that really didn't feel right was KISS MY rear end BITCH, I'LL BE AT DUANE'S!

tips
Feb 16, 2011

I don't know about Ray, he's just coming off as some weird foodie in this. I mean who can even care about a dude with strong opions about Toppers.

Pictured him more as always trying to play hard and just getting all soft and eccentric and vodka soaked over the years.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

PUKED posted:

I don't know about Ray, he's just coming off as some weird foodie in this. I mean who can even care about a dude with strong opions about Toppers.

Pictured him more as always trying to play hard and just getting all soft and eccentric and vodka soaked over the years.

He is kind of a weird foodie, though. (To be fair, everyone in Achewood except maybe Beef is.)

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

WickedIcon posted:

He is kind of a weird foodie, though. (To be fair, everyone in Achewood except maybe Beef is.)

Beef just has a thing about sodium.

Oh my god I can't buy a burrito from someone who has done oral on me

a zucchini at 2pm like the magazines say

ARE YOU DEPRESSED --> YES

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The Time Dissolver posted:

My only concern is it looks like Ray's show all the way. Ray is hilarious and everything but Ray Presents The Ray Show Starring Ray As Ray could get tiring fast.

No worries, Onstad's already aware of the dangers of this happening.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

PUKED posted:

Well, Ray does tend to be kind of a weird foodie, though he does seem to really play off Teodor with that.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ManiacClown posted:

My thoughts on Onstad's performance as Roast Beef are that yes, he's got a good tone. However, I've always heard Beef as hesitant to say whatever it is that's coming out of his mouth, as if he's unsure he should speak but is forcing himself to do so. Onstad's Beef just sounds too confident for what the character seems like to me. He doesn't sound like a guy who Has Depression™ because he Comes From Circumstances™.

I get what you mean, but I think you might want to listen a little more closely. I found the confidence to be completely phony, in the way most non-actors sound like on TV. I think it actually fits his personally more than the more exaggerated direction they could have gone with it.

Onstad has said that he doesn't necessarily want to voice the character himself, and if they do replace him they would need to get someone equally non-descript and underplayed, while at the same time able to put on a confident facade and follow comic timing. That might actually be very hard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The fact that Onstad doesn't really WANT to voice Beef is what makes him perfect for Beef.