Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

So keying cars is out of line but a rake across the Achilles is unworthy of comment? My friend got studs down his calf last November and hasn't been able to play again yet.

You're always going to have to play against cunts. The best solution I've found is to join a team that goes down to the pub after every match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

not the nice cars just the civics and Nissan cubes

Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW
gently caress, tonight I subbed for a friends team down a few divisions (7/10) and we played a team that should have been up at least 3. I can understand 1 or 2 ringers (I was one ffs) but I will never understand building an entire team of players who shoul be in a different league. At least the team captain's office picked up the post game brews.

They weren't jerks or anything, but they were losers. Also I flubbed a chance and I hate myself.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm buying some cleats for rugby, and found good deals on the Puma EvoSpeeds and PowerCats. I don't know whether to get the PowerCat for the leather upper (I hate getting my foot stomped) or the EvoSpeeds because they're the newest and most exalted line. (Does anyone know the difference between different versions of the same model? EvoSpeed 5 is cheaper than EvoSpeed 3 which is cheaper than EvoSpeed 1, so I assume they're just economy models of the same shoe.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 13, 2013

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm buying some cleats for rugby, and found good deals on the Puma EvoSpeeds and PowerCats. I don't know whether to get the PowerCat for the leather upper (I hate getting my foot stomped) or the EvoSpeeds because they're the newest and most exalted line. (Does anyone know the difference between different versions of the same model? EvoSpeed 5 is cheaper than EvoSpeed 3 which is cheaper than EvoSpeed 1, so I assume they're just economy models of the same shoe.)

Yeah, Puma does their stuff by number so the 1 is the "professional model" and so on down. The quality of the boot and materials used also scales accordingly.

They also sell EvoSpeeds with leather uppers but probably only the top range(EvoSpeed 1 K, as in K Leather).

I wore the original PowerCats when they were released several years ago. IMO the fin things on the top were kinda gimmicky and not great for football but it could be different for rugby.

I also had the original Adidas Predator Rugby that I wore as my SG boots so they do pretty good stuff too.

Edit: Boot Chat, my new boots for the spring. At this point I'm intentionally buying ludicrous looking boots just for the hell of it but these Mizunos are the best boots I've ever worn. K-Leather upper and they weigh 6oz(170g).

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 15, 2013

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Just played 60 minutes on a full pitch for the first time in a few years. It felt good. Playing as a full back is so much more fun when there's a lot of space available.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
I'd be so rubbish on a full pitch now, so used to the close confines of 5 and 6-a-side. Can't even remember what a cross looks like.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Hallowed Turban posted:

I'd be so rubbish on a full pitch now, so used to the close confines of 5 and 6-a-side. Can't even remember what a cross looks like.

I'm such poo poo up the middle that I try being a :airquote:winger:airquote: in 6-a-side. Go ahead, laugh. I'd probably be better on full pitch, if they even had them on weeknights in this area.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I blocked an amazing goal. With my balls. Which brings me to ask. Are wearing cups viable in games or cumbersome?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Soulex posted:

I blocked an amazing goal. With my balls. Which brings me to ask. Are wearing cups viable in games or cumbersome?

I think they're too cumbersome. Then again, I play winger/wingback and the cup (that I wore once after taking a nut shot) kept me from hitting my max pace.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Soulex posted:

This happened to me in a game I was refereeing. Luckily 12 year old girls can't kick all that hard (though the looks on their faces were pretty excellent). My gut tells me it would be too much of a hassle to wear one, and I figure the increased surface area / point of impact compared to, say, a baseball makes it slightly less necessary. Certainly I wouldn't hesitate to wear one if I were a goalkeeper though.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I got a loving monster of a shot on my carotid artery on sunday and almost blacked out because it felt like that thing cramped and I had no blood in my brain for like 5 seconds there.

I'd take a shot in the nuts anytime over that.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Adulterous Hitler posted:

I got a loving monster of a shot on my carotid artery on sunday and almost blacked out because it felt like that thing cramped and I had no blood in my brain for like 5 seconds there.

Not me. I am about to undergo my second surgery on them. Shot to the neck anytime.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Adulterous Hitler posted:

I blacked out for about 20 seconds after someone whacked my carotid artery, it's disorientating as heck.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Hallowed Turban posted:

I blacked out for about 20 seconds after someone whacked my carotid artery, it's disorientating as heck.

It feels like dying and it's horrible.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

I found it a bit disorientating immediately after but there wasn't any pain, not sure what you've done.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Took an attempted clearance point blank to the gut on Sunday, fortunately my hand was in the way and took all the impact:

Nothing broken, though, just a crazy-rear end bruise. Can't quite see my knuckles yet and my hand's mostly purple.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Lazlow posted:

Took an attempted clearance point blank to the gut on Sunday, fortunately my hand was in the way and took all the impact:

Nothing broken, though, just a crazy-rear end bruise. Can't quite see my knuckles yet and my hand's mostly purple.

This happened to me a few times, hope you are treating it right

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Lamont Cranston posted:

Certainly I wouldn't hesitate to wear one if I were a goalkeeper though.

Does anyone actually do this? Feel like it would hinder more than help, agility-wise.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Lazlow posted:

Last time I saw someone's hand look like that he had two broken bones underneath all the swelling.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Azerban posted:

Does anyone actually do this? Feel like it would hinder more than help, agility-wise.

Agreed. I played keeper for ~10 years up through ODP level and never wore one or heard of anyone wearing one.

I played catcher in baseball too, so it's not like I didn't have the option.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The only sport in which a nut-guard is less than pussy is Cricket.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Xylorjax posted:

Last time I saw someone's hand look like that he had two broken bones underneath all the swelling.

That's what I thought too, but the x-rays show otherwise. Ice is keeping the puffiness down, but it feels like I've got an extra knuckle in between the pinky and ring finger knuckles so something under there ain't quite right just yet.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

Ramagamma posted:

The only sport in which a nut-guard is less than pussy is Cricket.

Do you wear one in Jai alai?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Attention Americas, I have recently moved to the greater Newark area. Does anyone know of any places to go and play football in the area? Looking online doesn't turn much up.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The Saurus posted:

Attention Americas, I have recently moved to the greater Newark area. Does anyone know of any places to go and play football in the area? Looking online doesn't turn much up.

Newark, NJ?

There are dozens of places to play in the Newark and surrounding NYC area, dozens.

I guess it would depend on whether you want to play 5s or full sided or whatever. Also the skill level you're looking for.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Just had my first game. It was awesome. Won 22-17. Drink-up was even better. This is the wisdom I have gleaned: Your jaw is not a tool you can use to tackle. Well, it is, but don't do it.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Jesus, did anyone play defense?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Or keeper for that matter?

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
In an interesting side note: my first 6 a side match (years ago) ended in a 37-4 loss. It was a painful, painful game.

I also notice here that most indoor teams play with 2 back and 3 in attack (with both defenders bombing forward), leading to a lot of outrageous score lines. When I took control of my side from the previous captain (not the 37-4 side) and switched to 3 at the back we went from poo poo to 2nd in the league, because defense is the best.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I've found that only people who have played defense at a level where there were tactics involved want to play defense. It's frustrating.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I love playing defense. Nothing satisfied me more than shutting someone down.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Gigi Galli posted:

I've found that only people who have played defense at a level where there were tactics involved want to play defense. It's frustrating.

I play defense because I am complete poo poo at attacking (specifically, controlling the ball), and I have zero formal training in tactics.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Soulex posted:

Or keeper for that matter?

Hi.

I get more 6 a side games from people going 'will you do us a favour we don't know any keepers, can you play for us' than playing for my actual teams

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Fryhtaning posted:

I play defense because I am complete poo poo at attacking (specifically, controlling the ball), and I have zero formal training in tactics.
This. It's just my way of kicking a football without being constantly reminded that I suck at it.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Soulex posted:

I love playing defense. Nothing satisfied me more than shutting someone down.

Same. I played right back for the longest time and I loved it, but now I'm old fat and poo poo and I can't hack it.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Gigi Galli posted:

Same. I played right back for the longest time and I loved it, but now I'm old fat and poo poo and I can't hack it.

from right back to right hack :newlol:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

angry armadillo posted:

Hi.

I get more 6 a side games from people going 'will you do us a favour we don't know any keepers, can you play for us' than playing for my actual teams

Didn't mean to come off rude. I have played a few games where the "keeper" runs out and makes runs etc. only reason I asked.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I didn't think you came off rude, sorry if I did as well, if it's 6 a side I always get confined to the area by the rules. If it's 11 a side I don't know why you'd run out 99% of times :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

angry armadillo posted:

I didn't think you came off rude, sorry if I did as well, if it's 6 a side I always get confined to the area by the rules. If it's 11 a side I don't know why you'd run out 99% of times :(

In the 6-a-side I've played (as keeper a few times as well) the keeper can come out of his area (once he doesn't handle obviously) and most teams use him as a sweeper.