Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

nimby posted:

At what point do the rules for gravity catch up?

I think the rules for gravity gave up when the Fly spells came along. Now you just move at a constant speed at that big hard thing covered in dirt.

Edit:

Zemyla posted:

Actually, 3.0 did say conjurations did have to appear on surfaces capable of supporting them.

My apologies, I was mistaken. Though I can't find any mention of that in AD&D.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Pathfinder gives us the wall of iron spell. It has this stipulation:

quote:

If you desire, the wall can be created vertically resting on a flat surface but not attached to the surface, so that it can be tipped over to fall on and crush creatures beneath it. The wall is 50% likely to tip in either direction if left unpushed. Creatures can push the wall in one direction rather than letting it fall randomly. A creature must make a DC 40 Strength check to push the wall over. Creatures with room to flee the falling wall may do so by making successful Reflex saves. Any Large or smaller creature that fails takes 10d6 points of damage while fleeing from the wall. The wall cannot crush Huge and larger creatures.

DC 40? What kind of creature can make that kind of Strength check?

An ancient red dragon has a Strength of 39, or +14. It can't push a wall of iron over.

A tarrasque has 41, or +15. It can't push a wall of iron over.

How about a hekatonkheires titan, with its hundred hands? Well, it has a strength of 48, or +19. It can't push a wall of iron over.

No creature, barring magical enhancement, can defeat the wall of iron. Thankfully, it only does 10d6 damage regardless of its actual weight (which can vary from 10 to 40 tons or so, based on caster level), so any uninjured adventurers can survive getting crushed at its caster levels.

Yes, a 50 lb. halfling can survive getting crushed by over 50,000 lbs without falling unconscious. They do not get pinned. They aren't even knocked off their feet. Technically, they don't even move from their square. Presumably the damage is caused by the molecules of the wall scraping against theirs as they pass through it.

Also, it turns out you can rend a iron wall in half with your bare hands! Boy, that must be harder than tipping a unbalanced wall over, right? Wrong. It's a DC 27-35 (depending on caster level) Strength check. It turns out it's easier to rend iron with your bare hands than to tip over an already wobbly wall.

Maybe it's not really iron? All I can guess is that instead, this spell summons a particularly porous, floppy sponge of some sort. :raise:

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 1, 2013

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

DC 40? What kind of creature can make that kind of Strength check?
Aid Another. 16 1st level human commoners with Strength 10 can take 10 and push it over. It's still funny that they can do it and a dragon can't, though.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
I think Strength checks are supposed to receive size bonuses, but it's only listed for breaking down doors. Walls are right out.

The wall of iron also has a duration of instantaneous, which means that it creates a permanent wall. In Pathfinder, they specifically added a line to the end of the Wall of Iron spell- "Iron created by this spell is not suitable for use in the creation of other objects and cannot be sold."

Guess what wizards could do with this spell in 3e?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Zemyla posted:

Aid Another. 16 1st level human commoners with Strength 10 can take 10 and push it over. It's still funny that they can do it and a dragon can't, though.

Well, only if the wall is cast by a spellcaster of 16th level or higher, otherwise they won't fit on the wall together to shove it. Yes, if it's small enough, they can't shove it.

But if you want to be an utter stickler, you might not be able to do it that way, since aid another only aids skill checks, AC, or attacks, not ability checks, but Pathfinder doesn't really define ability checks well, so I can see ruling either way. Either a sufficient amount of commoners can lift anything, or two commoners working together can't heft logs any better than either of them alone.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

In D&D 4e (and even moreso in 3.X), it's entirely possible to make a character optimized to lie to the point where, strictly speaking, he's better off in social situations making up a lie to get what he wants (bluff) than telling a completely benign truth (diplomacy).

The lord dabs his lips after a long draw from his goblet "I would very much like to lend my house guard to your cause, but why should I?"
("If I tell him about the bandits in his wood, it'd diplomacy, right?"
"Yup.")
"Uhh... feindish dire owlbears."
("I got a 59 on bluff.")
"Oh my those are the worst kind of owlbears, we must dispatch my men at once!"

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Otisburg posted:

In D&D 4e (and even moreso in 3.X), it's entirely possible to make a character optimized to lie to the point where, strictly speaking, he's better off in social situations making up a lie to get what he wants (bluff) than telling a completely benign truth (diplomacy).

The lord dabs his lips after a long draw from his goblet "I would very much like to lend my house guard to your cause, but why should I?"
("If I tell him about the bandits in his wood, it'd diplomacy, right?"
"Yup.")
"Uhh... feindish dire owlbears."
("I got a 59 on bluff.")
"Oh my those are the worst kind of owlbears, we must dispatch my men at once!"

I see nothing wrong with this. nothing.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

LightWarden posted:

In Pathfinder, they specifically added a line to the end of the Wall of Iron spell- "Iron created by this spell is not suitable for use in the creation of other objects and cannot be sold."

What if there is someone who wants to buy a wall made out of iron, is it still impossible to sell it? Is this a union thing or something?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Rexides posted:

What if there is someone who wants to buy a wall made out of iron, is it still impossible to sell it? Is this a union thing or something?

It can cause a wizard to fall and lose their class abilities until redeemed by... oh, let's say a bartender.

Next, a trolling tip for wizards: prepare wall of iron as many times as you can. Once the party enters a dungeon room with only one exit, hang back, then amontillado the gently caress out of them.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Chamale posted:

If you were standing on an Earth-like planet, an object the mass of Jupiter would be the local centre of gravity, not Earth. Does D&D model reality as an infinite plane with a steady downwards pull?

...yes? Several parallel infinite planes, actually. Except for the one that doesn't have gravity and you have to move via force of will.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Next, a trolling tip for wizards: prepare wall of iron as many times as you can. Once the party enters a dungeon room with only one exit, hang back, then amontillado the gently caress out of them.

Working smarter, not harder. I like it.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

It's Yugioh time again. :science:

So, Yugioh is not quite like Magic, there are very few cards that tell a narrative. So, you often see sets of cards with a theme or that do something. However, quite a few Yugioh cards can have fun interactions when stacked. So, I'm going to post a theme of equip cards*, I want you to guess which one is banned.

The answer is:

Now, you may be wondering why. I mean, it seems harmless right? Well, the thing to remember is that in Yugioh, unless a card notes that it has a cost, you can play it as much as you like. The only thing that limits you is 5 Monster Zones, and 5 Magic/Trap Zones. (Monster's have some special rules if they have 5 or more levels, but that's not important right now.)

So, here is a few lovey interactions with that Dagger.

Infinite Doll Murder

Bring out Gearfried the Iron Knight and Magical Marionette though any way you care to use. Once they are on the field, you can play Butterfly Dagger - Elma on Gearfried the Iron Knight an infinite amount of times, giving Magical Marionette a Token/Spell Counter that boosts attack by 200 each time. You now have a monster that has X attack power, where X is how many times you repeated the loop. You can then attack your opponent and murder them.** If your opponent has monsters, you can spend 2 counters to destroy them one at a time.

Infinite Life Burn

Bring out Fire Princess and Gearfried the Iron Knight through any method you like. Then play Spell Absorption. You can then play Butterfly Dagger - Elma on Gearfried the Iron Knight an infinite amount of times, giving you infinte life points, and doing infinite damage to your opponent.

There are tons more ways to build with Gearfried the Iron Knight and Butterfly Dagger - Elma to hurt someone. So the card was banned and another of it's like was never made. Surely it was a forbidden arm.

* Equip cards stay on the field in a Magic/Trap zone, and provide an effect while they are active.
** Attack to life points work by attacking directly (your opponent has no monsters) or choosing to attack a monster that was left in attack position. Your opponent can not choose the monsters to 'block' like in magic.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Going back to the succubus and antipaladin stuff I mentioned earlier, Uncle Khasim in the Pathfinder thread pointed out that the wording for Summon Monster not only forbids summoned monsters from using their own summoning spells, but also from using any teleportation or planar travel abilities. So RAW, a succubus probably can't teleport your party around (though the succubus still can fly you across obstacles).

When it comes to summoning monsters, perhaps the only thing equal or superior to summoning evil outsiders is summoning good ones, because not only do they have similar spell-like abilities, they also cast spells.

The Empyreal Knight gains the ability to use Summon Monster a number of times per day equal to the paladin's charisma modifier, scaling the ability to the paladin's level, which can be used to summon celestial creatures, archons, or angels, though the spell list is short on the latter two until high levels. Sadly, this ability is not as good as the Summoner, whose ability can be used more often, lasts longer and can be used to summon Azata, the Chaotic Good outsiders who show up more often in the mid-levels.

On the bright side, the Empyreal Knight still has a mount like a regular paladin, only this one scales faster. At 12th level, the mount gains a fly speed equal to twice its land speed at good maneuverability (or improves to this speed/maneuverability if it already has a fly speed), which means you can ride into battle on a winged T-Rex.

The more interesting paladin archetype is the Sacred Servant, which at 8th level gets the ability to cast Planar Ally free of charge once per week, with the ability scaling with level. Normally, Planar Ally is balanced by cost- keeping a creature around for a small task that takes only a few minutes costs the least, while it cost ten times more if you want to keep someone around for a few days. But since you don't have to pay for the service, there's no reason not to splurge on the 1 day/caster level version. Every seven days you can summon a creature for a number of days equal to your caster level, starting at 8, which means that at higher levels you can keep an ally around for two or more weeks while your ability recharges.

True, the ability says that you don't have to pay "for reasonable tasks", but you're a paladin. Whistle up an angel and say "You and I are both exalted champions of the holy power of our god of light. Let us engage in jolly cooperation and go shove our golden boots up the asses of evil for the next week or so. You down?" then bump fists in the freeze-frame.

As I mentioned earlier, Summon Monster comes with the restriction that your summons can't summon other monsters, teleport or engage in planar travel. Planar Ally is not a summoning spell, it is a calling spell which brings the entire creature into your world and is thus under no such restrictions. Several major good outsiders come with greater teleport as a spell-like ability, so there's nothing stopping you from using them as celestial taxis.

At level 8, you're using lesser planar ally, which is capped at summoning outsiders with 6 hit dice. Probably one of the better options is the hound archon, which aside from being a decent fighter when you have the right spell support also has greater teleport at-will, which means you can give your party the ability to travel anywhere in the world before your team wizard can even learn a regular limited version of teleport.

At level 12, you upgrade to regular planar ally, capped at summoning 12 hit dice worth of outsiders. The standard options are kind of dull, but the coatl is a decent enough flying wizard snake if you don't feel like summoning more hound archons. Sadly, Paizo upped the hit dice on the Trumpet Archon from 12 to 14, preventing you from being a 12th level character who could whistle up a 14th level cleric (as you could in 3e, if you were willing to pay for it). You can still summon a Shield Archon to teleport around and also tank for you and your team, or a movanic deva to fight and restore you.

At level 16, you upgrade to greater planar ally, capped at summoning 18 hit dice worth of outsiders. This is the point where poo poo officially derails. Right from the word go, you can summon a Planetar, and thus be a 16th level paladin who can summon a 16th level cleric. In fact, since you can use this ability once per week to summon something for 16 days, you can have two 16th level clerics with you at all times, or three for two days every week. But these aren't 16th level clerics, they're better. True, they don't have access to the ability to channel positive energy or domain boosts, and they aren't proficient with any armor. But you can cast mage armor on them or give them magic items, and they have better hit points, attack bonuses, and ability scores, plus a protective aura that shields them and any allies from spells and the attacks of evil. They have their own pile of spell-like abilities, including the ability to dispel magic, curses, diseases and fatigue at-will, raise the dead, damage and debilitate foes, even shatter buildings or remove permanent negative levels. They can also disguise themselves as regular humanoids, speak with any creature living or dead, and see through illusions, magical disguises, lies, evil and even basic traps. This is the stuff they can do without casting their 16 levels of spells. If they do start using their spells, well... they can summon more angels. Or maybe cast greater planar ally to bring in their own buddies.

Sadly, planetars can't teleport, though they can cast plane shift. But hey, you can also summon a trumpet archon, who can teleport at-will and also cast spells as a 14th level cleric. Pity Star Archons have 19 hit dice instead of 18, putting them just out of reach.

Of course, recall that the Sacred Servant's planar ally ability just targets outsiders, and unlike the Empyreal Knight it has no further restrictions other than the fact that the paladin can't use it to summon creatures with the chaotic or evil subtypes due to the rules of spellcasting (though if you can be a neutral good paladin then you can summon chaotic outsiders). Thus, not only can you summon things such as the neutral good agathions like Cetaceals (who can also teleport), you don't even have to have stick to good outsiders.

A Shaitan is a lawful neutral earth genie with a pile of abilities that deal with earth. A shaitan pasha has 18 hit dice and can be summoned with Greater Planar Ally. Among its powers is the ability to grant three wishes... per day. Two or three of these guys out at once and you can do drat near anything, including giving you and your buddies a +5 bonus to every stat just because.

As long as you're in the market for having your GM throw the rulebook at your head, remember that not only can you call for outsiders, but you can ask for specific ones. An aasimar is an outsider, and all of its six to eighteen hit dice can be class levels, so your level 16 paladin can request a level 18 aasimar cleric or wizard. If you want to get even more ridiculous, half-celestial is a template that can be applied to almost any creature, turning it into an outsider and increasing its power without actually giving it any extra hit dice. Ask for half-celestial level orc barbarians, or maybe half-celestial dragons.

Your Angel Summoner may not be able to summon a horde of celestial super-beings at-will, but you can certainly make one hell of a show at it.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 2, 2013

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

LightWarden posted:

Your Angel Summoner may not be able to summon a horde of celestial super-beings at-will, but you can certainly make one hell of a show at it.

That's pretty good, but now I want to see what kind of amazing wheelies a Pathfinder BMX Bandit can do. :v:

For real though, regarding the last paragraph, the spell does specifically say that it has to be someone you know by name. It has to be a specific NPC, you can't just name a build and choose that even by RAW.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
True, but it doesn't mean you can't make knowledge (the planes) checks to figure out if there are any high-level aasimar clerics you know of, and then ask for one of them. It's also something you might be able to sneak up on your GM by asking innocuous questions about the holy beings in the campaign setting to gather information you can later use when you phone-a-friend.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

SystemLogoff posted:

Butterfly Dagger - Elma

Honestly, having played against it, it wasn't that harsh of a combo. Too many pieces that were too open to removal.

Its ban was probably because the banning guys have a horrible hatred of combos than any degeneracy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So how do you make the BMX Bandit in Pathfinder then?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Zereth posted:

So how do you make the BMX Bandit in Pathfinder then?

One or more levels of fighter with no multiclassing.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Since LightWarden mentioned summoning genies, it's time to bust out the Chain Binding trick.

So you're a level 11 Wizard in D&D 3.5 (or a rich, high CHA character with maxxxed out UMD ranks and a thing for scrolls). You suddenly decide that you want to be even more powerful beyond your wildest imagination. So what you do is you prep Magic Circle against Evil, Dimensional Anchor and Planar Binding many, many times. You cast Magic Circle against Evil, taking the extra 10 minutes to make the special sealing diagram version. This allows you to cast Dimensional Anchor the round before summoning a creature with Planar Binding, which keeps the creature from running away. The special diagram also keeps the creature from eating your loving face for disturbing it, since it can't do anything to you unless the circle is broken from the outside.

Now that the prepwork is done, you cast Planar Binding and call up an Efreet, a HD 10 LE outsider. It can't Plane Shift away thanks to the Dimensional Anchor, it can't set you on fire thanks to the magic circle, and it has to make a DC 25(15 + half level + 5 from the circle) + your CHA mod Charisma check to break free.

It has a +2 CHA mod.

So you have an Efreet who's stuck in a glass case of emotion until it wants to play ball with you or the spell's duration runs out. You ask it for its wishes, which is the only reason people put up with them because Efreeti are dicks. If your balls are big enough*, you can reward it with its continued existence. If not, you suck up the opposed Charisma check at +0 and keep bashing heads until it works.

Once you convince it to use its wishes on you, you have two options. The first option** is to wish for a single magic item three times. That item is a command ring of Wish. Prohibitively expensive to make as a PC, easy as cake for Wish to make. Congrats, you and two of your friends now have infinite Wishes.

The second option is to use those wishes for three different spells. You see, Wish can duplicate a spell up to 8th level, as long as it's not a barred school. Magic Circle is 2nd level. Dimensional Anchor is 4th. Planar Binding is 6th. You should see where this is going. If you set up your circles and Dimensional Anchors beforehand like a good little God Wizard, wish for three Planar Bindings for three more Efreeti in the circles instead. Lather, rinse and repeat until you've pissed off the entire City of Brass, then move onto the CG Noble Djinn and Magic Circle against Good.

*:Here's a bonus bit of rules weirdness/cheese. The spell Explosive Runes allows you to inscribe an object weighing no more than 10 lbs with runes that do 6d6 force damage. A page weighs much less than 10 lbs. You inscribe Explosive Runes on every page of a book, the front cover and the back cover for shits and giggles. Throw it at somebody, or leave it carelessly lying around. Dispel the whole book (from a safe distance!) and willingly take a 1 on your dispel check. Watch the fireworks through your eyelids. Assuming a 100 page notebook, enchanted one side only, with front and back covers covered, that's 612d6 force damage in 6 seconds. If the book's within 10 feet of the target, it's no save 612d6 force damage. Eat your heart out, Fireball.

**:This only works in 3.5 because in 3.0, Wish was only able to grant magic items worth up to 15,000 gp. A command item ring of Wish is...many times more expensive. The term "Wish Economy" comes from the idea that after a point everybody who's anybody can poo poo out items worth 15,000 gp or less, so the real money is in things you can't wish for. Like souls.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What's that combo that lets you turn any performance into an instant friendmaker? Perform: Pop a Wheelie sound like fun.

Or a Paladin with Mount: Celestial Bicycle and a whole bunch of mounted combat feats.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 2, 2013

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Splicer posted:

What's that combo that lets you turn any performance into an instant friendmaker? Perform: Pop a Wheelie sound like fun.

Or a Paladin with Mount: Celestial Bicycle and a whole bunch of mounted combat feats.

The Exemplar, usually built as a Jumplomancer. Discussed on the first page, here. Or you can be a bard and tell people you are the Moon.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fuego Fish posted:

One or more levels of fighter with no multiclassing.
Well, yeah, but how do you get the bike?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Zereth posted:

Well, yeah, but how do you get the bike?

Blow a few feats on mounted combat and buy one with your starting gold.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wait they actually have bikes?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zereth posted:

Buy a ten-foot pole, a cart, and a set of tools. Oh, and a bell and hooded lantern. For safety.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Zereth posted:

Urban Arcana, page 81. Mongoose Pro Fuzz BMX bike.

As a bicycle, any rider must use Balance as skill in order to drive it. Requires a full-round action to get up to maximum speed, takes a speed penalty when going up a slope (which also requires a full-round action). Requires a Constitution check for every hour of strenuous riding. -2 penalty to all attacks made from a bicycle.

The BMX has a max speed of 40ft, 11 AC, 5 hardness, 5 hit points (2 hit points per tire), and can carry no extra cargo or passengers.

So all in all, exactly the kind of vehicle a 3.x fighter deserves.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It's even literally a BMX bike. :staredog:

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
Since Yu-Gi-Oh! keeps coming up, how about I talk about a little known tournament rule, and the deck designed to abuse it. (Also known as how I managed to burn out my ability to think in five and a half rounds.)

In Yu-Gi-Oh!'s tournament rules, a match was not finished until time, or one player or the other had two wins. Sounds pretty typical right?

Enter Last Turn.

This card is far from simple, but short version is, you play it on your opponent's turn when you have 1000 or less life points. Pick one of your monsters, it stays, everything else (including both players hands) are destroyed. Your opponent searches their deck for a monster, summon it, and attacks your monster. The only player with a monster at the end of the turn wins. All other situations result in a draw.

Complicated as hell, and seems like one of those 'why would you play this?' types of cards.

Jowgen the Spiritualist and Last Warrior from Another Planet

In the competitive deck, Jowgen is preferred due to being easier to get out, but both of these monsters share an effect: They prevent Special Summons. Last Turn Special Summons a monster for your opponent. So get one on the field and flip Last Turn, your opponent loses.

If the world were this simple, the deck would be unbeatable. Thankfully, it's not. For one thing, you need 1000 life or less to be able to pull this off. Beyond that, there's more than one way to stop Last Turn from handing you a win. Like activating a card to kill Jowgen, or countering Last Turn.

The answer to the life total problem is pretty easy. The Wall of Revealing Light. Pay 1000*x life, monsters of that Attack or less can't attack. You can now win on your opponent's first turn, if you went first.

Draw your five cards, set Last Turn and Wall of Revealing Light, then summon Jowgen. As soon as they draw their card, activate Wall of Light for 7000 life, then activate last turn. There were very few outs that could get you out of this combo.

Obviously, the odds of pulling off a turn one win are slim, so what do you do for the inevitable times your opponent is prepared for your combo? Why, have a secondary win condition of course. Or, in this case, a draw condition. Remember the rule I cited? The match continues until a player has two wins. If you're going to lose and intentionally draw the game, the match continues. So how did you do that?

Man-Eater Bug.

Here's the response to them destroying your Jowgen. Man-Eater wasn't the only monster that punished your opponent for destroying your monster, and so you ran multiples of each. Any way to force both monsters to die during Last Turn. But this wasn't the ultimate 'stop'. There was one more. One that was much better than any of the monsters, because it was as fast as Last Turn:

Self-Destruct Button.

It can only be activated when your opponent has at least 7000 more life than you, and it's only effect is to create a draw. Convenient that life total difference, don't you think?

So how did this drive me slowly insane? A typical round, played without this degeneracy, lasts a maximum of 3 games. Over the course of a typical regional event, you have about 13 rounds. Because Last Turn could force draws, though, you could end up playing many more games during a round. In my case, I had played 35 games before receiving my second round loss in round six. That's a minimum of twelve rounds of play I effectively ran through in the course of that tournament. After my second loss, I dropped and went to take a judge test instead. God I wasted my life on this game.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Honestly, having played against it, it wasn't that harsh of a combo. Too many pieces that were too open to removal.

Its ban was probably because the banning guys have a horrible hatred of combos than any degeneracy.

It only becomes bad when they layer in all of the Elma interactions. Including magical library's infinte card draw. Of course, there are so many ways to be shut down in the game now. :shrug:

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

People have talked about the Star Trek ccg, But i wanted to bring up that being Non-aligned actually meant you belonged to the Non-aligned faction, so you were in fact aligned to something. How do we know this? Look at this non-aligned outpost: They specifically require a non-aligned engineer to build it. So how does that make them a faction? This card: anyone can build it because its neutral. Oh and that Neutral station is terrible, cannot repair you, and no one would ever play it because you seeded (placed at start of game) all the stations you needed anyway or built ones that matched your faction and would actually repair you.

I have my old Voyager deck still and basically there was no reason to play anything but the command crew of any of the shows with the shows ship. beats everything.

TyrsHTML fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 2, 2013

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Let us celebrate Ben Sargent.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Let's not.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

TyrsHTML posted:

People have talked about the Star Trek ccg, But i wanted to bring up that being Non-aligned actually meant you belonged to the Non-aligned faction, so you were in fact aligned to something. How do we know this? Look at this non-aligned outpost: They specifically require a non-aligned engineer to build it. So how does that make them a faction? This card: anyone can build it because its neutral. Oh and that Neutral station is terrible, cannot repair you, and no one would ever play it because you seeded (placed at start of game) all the stations you needed anyway or built ones that matched your faction and would actually repair you.

I have my old Voyager deck still and basically there was no reason to play anything but the command crew of any of the shows with the shows ship. beats everything.

Yeah, there was a difference between Neutral & Non-Aligned. The reason for this is that several mechanics keyed off matching affiliation (including mission attempts). Non-aligned were just allowed to mix freely with other personnel.

IIRC, there was only one other Neutral card:

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Gau fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 2, 2013

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, he was the most talented artist to work on Murphy's Rules with a bullet. I hadn't gotten to see his political cartoons, but they're similarly fantastic and I need more.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
As statted up on the Pathfinder SRD, the tarrasque has an Acrobatics score of +3. However, since there are no size penalties to Acrobatics, this means your local 50-foot tall armour-plated engine of destruction can casually (take 10) balance on surfaces 7-11 inches wide.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pathfinder Murphy's Rules grab bag!

Did you know...
  • Call Lightning can pass from the sky through a mountain to hit its target, but is stopped if the target is "underwater". Yes, you are safer in a bathtub if hiding from lightning.
  • Holy word targets "nongood" creatures. Most commoners are neutral. It will kill them dead. Nonetheless, holy word is a "good" spell.
  • A monk's Vow of Poverty bans them from using more than 50gp of equipment. This keeps them from using any magic items. The balancing factor? +1 ki point. That's all.
  • A spyglass, by a literal reading of the rules, provides a penalty in addition to the increased Perception DC due to range. This means using a spyglass makes it harder to see at a distance. Maybe they're holding it the wrong way...
  • Ultimate Magic has a spell called unnatural lust that can make somebody grope or kiss somebody else. Acting against your sexuality gives a +4 bonus on the saving throw. This was written unironically.

CultusImperialis
Jun 2, 2011

2nd Ed. AD&D has an innocent looking 1st level wizard spell: Mount

Basically it summons a level dependant mount for your wizard to potter about on. The spell doesn't actually specify that the you need a surface or even enough space to summon the creature, only that the range is 10 feet.

At 13th level, wizards can cast this 25 times per day.

Additionally, at level 13, this spell summons an elephant.

So two possible uses immediately jump to mind:
  • Elephant bombs. Summon an elephant 4 feet above target enemy. Laugh. Repeat up to 25 times.
  • A more subtle application, Elephant Door. Trying to escape a horde of enemies? Find your bog standard dungeon doorway, run through and wedge an irate pachyderm in it. Laugh again.

Wizards can be dicks at times...

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Pathfinder Murphy's Rules grab bag!

Did you know...
  • A monk's Vow of Poverty bans them from using more than 50gp of equipment. This keeps them from using any magic items. The balancing factor? +1 ki point. That's all.

Actually, the monk gets one ki point every other level as a balancing factor. And the restriction is even funnier.

Vow of Poverty posted:

Restriction: The monk taking a vow of poverty must never own more than six possessions—a simple set of clothing, a pair of sandals or shoes, a bowl, a sack, a blanket, and any one other item. Five of these items must be of plain and simple make, though one can be of some value (often an heirloom of great personal significance to the monk).

Note the fact that one item can have "some value." Characters in Pathfinder are like characters in D&D, and they are expected to have a certain amount of magical bling at each level (this is not a particularly good way of setting expectations since it relies on a ton of assumptions, but ignoring that for now). The end result is that the monk's entire net worth becomes tied up in that one item. A 20th level monk is worth almost 900,000 gold pieces in magical gear.

"I have nothing but the sandals on my feet, the shirt on my back, a bowl to beg with, a blanket to sleep on, a sack to carry my meager belongings and my interdimensional flying pleasure palace. Truly mine is a life of simple asceticism and meditation."

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

LightWarden posted:

"I have nothing but the sandals on my feet, the shirt on my back, a bowl to beg with, a blanket to sleep on, a sack to carry my meager belongings and my interdimensional flying pleasure palace. Truly mine is a life of simple asceticism and meditation."

To be fair, that interdimensional flying pleasure palace belonged to her grandfather's grandmother and is of great personal significance to her.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

LightWarden posted:

Actually, the monk gets one ki point every other level as a balancing factor. And the restriction is even funnier.

It turns out it's every level. Whups.

It's still terrible, mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

SystemLogoff posted:

So, Yugioh is not quite like Magic, there are very few cards that tell a narrative. So, you often see sets of cards with a theme or that do something. However, quite a few Yugioh cards can have fun interactions when stacked. So, I'm going to post a theme of equip cards*

This set as a whole is another fine example of weird rules, since the mechanics seem designed to actively prevent the intended theme from working.

The very loose "story" is that there's a set of monsters called Guardians, and each is associated to one of these Equip card weapons, to the point where they can't even fight without them. I don't remember the details, but I definitely remember seeing them in the show as a kid, and each monster fought with its weapon and needed its weapon to fight.

In the game, this is represented by giving each Guardian monster a clause saying that it can't be summoned unless its associated Equip card is already in play. So if Gravity Axe - Grarl isn't in play, Guardian Grarl can't be summoned.

Here's the problem: Equip cards in Yu-Gi-Oh aren't like Equipment cards in Magic: the Gathering. They're like Aura cards. When they come into play, you must immediately attach them to a monster on the field. Once they're attached to a monster, you can't move them to attach them to another monster, and if the monster they're attached to stops existing, they're destroyed.

So if you want to summon Guardian Grarl, you first need to summon a different monster and equip that other monster with Gravity Axe - Grarl. Then, you can summon Guardian Grarl. But now Gravity Axe - Grarl is already in play and attached to a different monster, and there's no real way to attach it to Guardian Grarl instead. The only way to summon the Guardian monsters is to have already given their weapons away so they can't use them.

The intended flavor is "These monsters can only fight with their weapons," but the mechanical effect is "These monsters cannot fight with their weapons."