Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I'm on NG+ and spotted Patches in the Catacombs this time, gave him a preemptive skewering with my Silver Knight Spear +5. ":qq: What did I do?" evil little oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

natetimm posted:

With the guy with the book? Because I killed him. And the spider lady and her servant. The difficulty of this game has turned me into a paranoid monster.

If you can't lock on, then it's not an enemy. Why were you attacking people you can't lock on to? That's not paranoia, that's psychosis. You psychopath. :colbert:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

natetimm posted:

With the guy with the book? Because I killed him. And the spider lady and her servant. The difficulty of this game has turned me into a paranoid monster.

You need to calm down man. Take some valium or something. They're just jolly undead outcasts like yourself.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you can't lock on, then it's not an enemy. Why were you attacking people you can't lock on to? That's not paranoia, that's psychosis. You psychopath. :colbert:

Hey, you can't lock on to mimics. Maybe they're mimic NPCs. You talk to them and then they split in half and start to chew on you. :tinfoil:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I swear to god I have the weirdest friends. This guy I know is always complaining about how modern games aren't hard enough, always plays Dwarf Fortress, and argues that modern MMOs don't have enough grinding/walking/tedium. When I recommended this game to him, he adamantly refused for the following set of reasons:

- you have to put yourself at risk of PvP in order to summon things (he has no idea how summoning works here)
- the weapons are too "unrealistically"-huge for your character to be carrying
- everyone's been recommending it to him

Is it possible to be more of a grognard than this person?

Orv
May 4, 2011

miscellaneous14 posted:

Do you really want to ask that question around here?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I wish him luck in finding a 'hard' game that isn't challenging in any way he doesn't feel comfortable with.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Skeeball might suit him.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
It's weird because I know for a fact he'd love the game, but apparently just absolutely doesn't want to play it because :spergin:.

Then again, he might end up being that "YOU DIDN'T BOW BEFORE WE FOUGHT, gently caress YOU" type.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

It was making noise. Kill or be killed, man.

EDIT: Also, the undead merchant gave me a good sword when I killed him so I guess now I'm just looking for the next cool thing.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

I've seen beginnings of several blind LPs on youtube, and people just keep attacking the NPCs. Guess they are just used to consequence-free games.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I accidentally mistook Eingyi for an enemy and attacked him, then felt like an idiot when I realized none of those guys actually attack you. Good thing he doesn't sell anything actually worthwhile.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

natetimm posted:

It was making noise. Kill or be killed, man.

EDIT: Also, the undead merchant gave me a good sword when I killed him so I guess now I'm just looking for the next cool thing.

I hope you at least bought some stuff from him first. It will be a while before you get your second chance at a bottomless box. Whatever you do, don't kill the cool looking dude with the horned helmet with spectacles.

And if you kill Andre the blacksmith, restart your game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

miscellaneous14 posted:

I swear to god I have the weirdest friends. This guy I know is always complaining about how modern games aren't hard enough, always plays Dwarf Fortress, and argues that modern MMOs don't have enough grinding/walking/tedium. When I recommended this game to him, he adamantly refused for the following set of reasons:

- you have to put yourself at risk of PvP in order to summon things (he has no idea how summoning works here)
- everyone's been recommending it to him

There's a lot of people who weirdly get paranoid about games that are recommended to them frequently. I have a couple of friends who have refused to try various games, including this one, just because people won't shut up about them. At least I got one of them to try(and fall in love with) Dark Souls.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

miscellaneous14 posted:

I can only think of like a dozen weapons or so out of like a 120 total that push the limits of size feasibility. Most of those weapons have steep requirements and are used and dropped by its actually giant-sized wielder anyway. The vast majority of the weapons are tame variants of simple swords, pole-arms and bludgeons.

I can't even think of another modern RPG with such a wide arsenal of non-buster sword type weaponry.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I ground my way up to Grant on the black knights before Gwyn and... it sucks. The Black Knight weapons all outclass it one way or another and due to swing speed my Zweihander +15 probably out-damages it. The only thing it has going for it is being a really high damage divine weapon. I've decided to make the equally useless Demon Great Hammer into its occult equivalent.

There's an upside to having gone all the way to 50 STR though: The Dragon King Greataxe has the same weight and STR requirements while granting resistance bonuses and being enchantable. With the insane base damage it matches the Black Knight Greataxe before any buffs get applied. Only problem is I'm short the two dragon scales to make that happen.

I might actually have a Fiddler Crab gimmick ready to go between it and the Dragon Bone Fist.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Swinging around a Zweihander 1-handed with no problems is in the realm of fantasy I think. That's like a 6 foot sword.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
That's a detail I really like, how the really heavy weapons - even if you have the strength to hold them - take a visible amount of effort for you and the enemies to use.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Shumagorath posted:

The only thing it has going for it is being a really high damage divine weapon.

Two hand it and press R2.

People die to that move.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Swinging around a Zweihander 1-handed with no problems is in the realm of fantasy I think. That's like a 6 foot sword.

A RL Zweihander weighed like 6-8 lbs. You usually needed two hands though because the leverage required for doing sudden changes like altering your swing's direction mid-swing gets kind of ridiculous when your lever's arm is like 6 feet long and your foible's a target 2 feet big.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 2, 2013

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Sanctum posted:

3 days later I've finally beaten Bed of Chaos; the ending was awkward and unsatisfying.

I would like to share with you some of my experiences:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnOD3da80N4&hd=1

If you're trying to dodge why are you wearing that heavy armor? Why are you wearing anything at all against the BoC?
If your equip load is low enough you can just run across before the second hand sweep. And you can roll across the branches, you don't have to cut them down with your weapon.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Personally, when it comes to encounters like that which require a fairly long trek to get to them, I'm far less willing to experiment with anything that could risk a faster death. There are a couple bosses where I've thought about reducing my equip load, but I really wanted the safety buffer.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

Truth be told, I haven't really bothered looking into defense exactly since I always play with minimum HP and drop in 1-2 hits.

AR is not the whole story when it comes to damage. Every attack animation has a hidden AR modifier attached to it that multiplies the given AR for that attack.

All you really need to know is this:

Defense is subject to heavy diminishing returns against higher AR.

Meaning, if your enemy doubles their AR in one category, you are taking more than double the damage you were taking beforehand. This is why high AR in one category is preferable to split AR, even if the sum is higher: armor will block more of it, not only because each damage category is being reduced, but because its phys AR is usually lowered to add on the elemental damage.

Thus, heavy armor is actually not that great for anything except low-AR weaponry, such as rapiers.

Heavy armor has a lot of poise, which can be better than maneuverability if your opponent has a fast weapon. When I use a heavy armor character and end up fighting a character that's not wielding something heavy like a greatsword, it's always a no-contest win for me. I just need to wait for their swing animation to start; I absorb the hit with my high poise and then stunlock them with my claymore until they die.

Obviously if their weapon is large enough then the poise is largely useless, but with Smough's set I usually don't run into too many people using one of those weapons

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If for whatever reason you actually need poise, the Wolf Ring is usually good enough against anything but a heavy weapon.

At that point you can do minmax things like put on Hollow Soldier Waistcloth + Elite Knight Gauntlets or something, and you can suddenly poise tank anything that isn't a super heavy weapon (see: Zweihander). Meanwhile you're usually still good for DWGR ninja flip as the cherry on top.

So yeah, even that advantage is mostly negated by spending a ring slot. There are not exactly many candidates that can stack up to Wolf Ring.

Frankly if I were wielding a light weapon and I see a heavy armor dude, that's my signal to simply annoy him until he commits to an attack, poke him, then run off. Or just backstab him if I'm feeling like an rear end, which is admittedly rare.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 2, 2013

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Is there a modding thread for this yet? If so can I get a link? I've got a question about spells.

If there isn't and one does get made it should get tossed in PGS, I think, just to keep a lot of the info dug up obfuscated slightly from google hits.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What's nice is how whenever you swing a large weapon, it's done somewhat realistically; that is, you just sort of slam in without much control in whatever direction. Though 1-handing it is a tad unrealistic.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
One-handing a Zweihander? Unrealistic.

Dual-wielding Zweihanders? Unrealistically AWESOME.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dorroile posted:

One-handing a Zweihander? Unrealistic.

Dual-wielding Zweihanders? Unrealistically AWESOME.

Aside from the rolling attack, 2handing the Zweihander is perfectly realistic.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Hmm, guess I need to do dukes now that my Int is over 40.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Aside from the rolling attack, 2handing the Zweihander is perfectly realistic.

No, i mean wielding two Zweihanders.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
NG+ only, right? Or is there a way to get more than one zweihander?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

NG+ only, right? Or is there a way to get more than one zweihander?

well, someone might gift you one. :blush:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dorroile posted:

No, i mean wielding two Zweihanders.

Every swing makes you dislocate a shoulder.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Tallgeese posted:

Two hand it and press R2.

People die to that move.
Yeah I tested that out and it threw a Black Knight like I'd hit him with a truck. Bit of a wind-up but I've got poise and Karmic Justice to work with.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
It can hit around corners and walls, too. Makes Sen's invading extra fun when you use it.

Also, actually connecting with the Axe on the R2 will flatten enemies through blocks if their shield isn't high enough stability.

Basically just do this all day and go hog wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-kYKXcBB4c

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'm not quite sure of Karmic Justice's formula, but if I am right, Grant will cast it at approximately 155 magadjust (I think Grant has about 90 Faith scaling, at around 30 faith it'd get ~55 of that to its magadjust rating). Not bad at all really.

It's not TCC power, but what is?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 2, 2013

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Wait, what's this about Karmic Justice and Grant?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Kiggles posted:

Wait, what's this about Karmic Justice and Grant?

For one thing, if you have the 50 Faith to use Grant your KJ is going to be loving nasty no matter what

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

All weapons have magadjust, it's just hidden.

Magadjust of an item is: (100 + Int Scaling in Use + Faith Scaling in Use)

100 in this case is actually nothing but a display thing. It's probably actually zero and is meant as a bonus over base damage or some nonsense, like Critical.

The actual stat the spell calls for is irrelevant to spell damage except insofar as how much of the item's int/faith scaling it lets you use. Thus, only magadjust matters.

Oolacile (Ivory) Catalyst and Pyromancy Flame are special in that they give you all of their intelligence scaling regardless of the score you actually have in their scaling stat, provided you meet the minimum requirements.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Dragonwagon posted:

If you're trying to dodge why are you wearing that heavy armor? Why are you wearing anything at all against the BoC?
If your equip load is low enough you can just run across before the second hand sweep. And you can roll across the branches, you don't have to cut them down with your weapon.
I'm running a light load.

I liked switching around ring combinations freely, but the ring of FaP + havels is hard to top for melee combat characters. By using havels and replacing my +9 leather armor with the black iron chestpiece I get 31 poise compared to the wolf rings 40, even more physical defenses than I could have with the ring of steel protection, and better fire resist than I can manage with leather armor and a flame stoneplate ring. Also I have the wiggle room to use heavier weapons like that 6.0 weight spear without going over ¼ load.

• Locked thread