Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's a pretty decent thread on the Borderlands 2 official forums about what quest rewards are worth saving.

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=206072

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

So I just discovered the magic of using torque weapons with a grenadier mod and grenade damage skills on Axton. Would it be better to go down the middle tree to get the nuke, or left tree for the slag turret? Also for endgame play, would the legendary Commando mod be worth it for the the skill boost to all the tier 1 skills over the extra grenade damage from the mod + boost to Steady?

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 2, 2013

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I know the Buffalo kicks a whole lotta' rear end. The Chulainn is fun to play around with as well.

The Buffalo is my absolute favorite sniper rifle in the whole game, I've always liked high-damage iron sight rifles. If you have the Torgue DLC the Kitten is a unique Combat Rifle that eats larger bosses alive. Getting a Greed off Scarlet is great just for having one of the only elemental Jakobs revolvers in the game. In the main quest line doing Animal Rights gives you a unique sniper rifle that ignores shields and does pure health damage, the Tresspasser. Save the robot body stuff in the Bloodshot Stronghold so you can get an amazing talking shield or shotgun. There's a unique gun you can get from Hyperion themselves that starts in Overlook too, where you also get the Deadly Bloom shield. There's tons of neat little guns to collect either for their utility or their novelty.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

quote:

100/100/40/30/20/10/5

Oh god, what have I done?

I can never go back...

:allears:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I never knew Purple and E-Tech guns were different colors until I boosted drop rates.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Greenplastic posted:

Second edit: What is this shieldless shield ye mention?

Third edit: I'm saving sidequests for 2.5, so any tips on where to farm XP so I hit the cap before endgame? I just finished the Wildlife Exploitation Reserve.

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/The_Rough_Rider

Thousand Cuts on the way up to the Bunker has a load of enemies to kill and lots and lots of reward chests fighting a uphill battle against fairly difficult enemies can be exciting. Lynchwood has, in my opinion, one of the more fun environments to have a shoot out with a variety of ranges to engage in with about the same amount of chests as Bunker's run in the entire level. Hayter's Folly in the Pirate DLC is pleasant to look at, groovy music and is mostly pirates with some skags and crystalisks and a large number of chests.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Red chests actually giving good loot? Those drop rates really are tuned back to the first game, drat.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Greenplastic posted:

Really? What about Moxxi's Heartbreaker? Tiny Tina's teapot-gun? Do they suck at lvl 50? They were sooo good in the first playthrough.

In my experience Moxxi's shotgun is a fantastic weapon at level 50. Maybe not super-top-tier, but amazing for how easy it is to get, and it's guaranteed, too. (I use Axton, Metal Storming Moxxi's shotgun is great)

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

Greenplastic posted:

Second edit: What is this shieldless shield ye mention?

There's also the Love Thumper, a strong maylay shield with a base recharge delay of something like two minutes. I use it on a Fleet build Siren, with Moxxi's Rubi for a melee weapon and a vitality relic.
http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Love_Thumper

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

It... it's beautiful :qq:

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.
drat, I don't like to cheat.
but 127 hours into the game and I have only ever seen two E tech weapons randomly drop...

I still haven't seen an Etech SMG, and I am convinced it's nothing more than an urban legend.

Does that cheat engine someone listed a while back work with steam?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dukeofdummies posted:

Does that cheat engine someone listed a while back work with steam?

All copies of Borderlands 2 are Steamworks, and therefore are on Steam. Thus any cheat engines or save editors mentioned here in the thread will work with the Steam.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Dukeofdummies posted:

but 127 hours into the game and I have only ever seen two E tech weapons randomly drop...

If it's any consolation, you still need to actually get to a chest. Just don't set the higher quality items at such a high level. Enough to where seeing a purple other than eridium is more realistic than once every ten chests.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I gave up on the game a while ago due to the abysmal drop rating and this Cheat Engine stuff is enough to pull me back in. I've been trying to get decent weapons for my Salvador forever.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I feel like the 100/100/40/30/20/10 settings are too much for a first playthrough. I'm still really early but have purple weapons all over the place and just tear through everything.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Papercut posted:

I feel like the 100/100/40/30/20/10 settings are too much for a first playthrough. I'm still really early but have purple weapons all over the place and just tear through everything.

If you're looking to loosely emulate 1, it is very high.

I usually run 100/100/30/17-20/12/7/2 with some shifting depending on how I feel and it tends to fall in the nice sweet spot. You'll get purple usually from red chests and a unique will show up around once every handful of hours of play. It keeps things from becoming a loot shower, honestly. For the legendary setting I usually do not go over 2 and for very unique 7. In fact I usually play 1.5/5 for those two settings.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Dukeofdummies posted:

I still haven't seen an Etech SMG, and I am convinced it's nothing more than an urban legend.

I just got an electric E-tech blaster SMG! It shoots energy bolts, has 48 bullets (/2 per shot) and rapes stuff with shields!!

It makes me so depressed to know it's gonna be obsolete in a few levels :'(

Greenplastic fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 2, 2013

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
I finally decided to try cheat Engine...I thought there were suppose to be a link and instructions on how to use it in the OP?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=412769335#post412769335 has the cheat engine instructions, and really should be in the OP.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Greenplastic posted:

It makes me so depressed to know it's gonna be obsolete in a few levels :'(

Cheat Engine is God's way of saying your lifestyle choice of console is incorrect. :smug:

E-Tech Maliwan rocket launchers are the bee's knees if you ever manage to get a hold of one. I've used one particular one for ten levels (36-46) because it was so absolutely ridiculous with damage and area of effect..

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Papercut posted:

Yeah for Pt1 I would tone it down a little. It may still be a tad too good for some people on TVHM, but I really don't care for grinding. gently caress spending hours just to find a single gun that you want. I had that multiple times, when my shotgun or assault rifle got outclassed. Now I run through a couple of chests and probably get something that's good.

But even with such a good rate, you are likely to toss a fair number of guns since they don't fit your build/taste. I tossed most of the loot from the screens as it wasn't fitting my style.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

What are the default rates?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Ulvirich posted:

E-Tech Maliwan rocket launchers are the bee's knees if you ever manage to get a hold of one. I've used one particular one for ten levels (36-46) because it was so absolutely ridiculous with damage and area of effect..
Or Torgue..never bet against Torgue guns

Wilhelm died like a bitch to this thing.

Reiley posted:

What are the default rates?

200/100/10/5/1/0.1000000015/0.0099999998

:(

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

200/100/10/5/1/0.1000000015/0.0099999998

:(

I use the Vault Hunter's Relic that came with the Mechromancer pack and boosts rare drops by 5%, I don't know what that turns those numbers into but it's been a pretty good lootfest so far.

e: I've just now been rewarded for my loyalty and clean-living, apparently:

The biggest reason I gotta sing for the no-cheats lifestyle is things like this happen and it actually feels special.

vvv I actually like blue guns just fine! My favorite AR is a blue.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 2, 2013

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Reiley posted:

I use the Vault Hunter's Relic that came with the Mechromancer pack and boosts rare drops by 5%,

That relic only increases green and blue drop rates by 5% and accordingly reduces white drop rates by 5%. Just use a practical relic.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
I bought the game a long time ago and just decided to play yesterday and holy poo poo why didn't I do this sooner? I noticed it's a bit more difficult than the first game, and seriously gently caress threshers (especially the pyro badass ones). Wondering if there is some way to reset my skills like in the first game. I also love the goliaths, they are such a fun mob to watch after you shoot them in the head a few times.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Seemenaked posted:

I bought the game a long time ago and just decided to play yesterday and holy poo poo why didn't I do this sooner? I noticed it's a bit more difficult than the first game, and seriously gently caress threshers (especially the pyro badass ones). Wondering if there is some way to reset my skills like in the first game. I also love the goliaths, they are such a fun mob to watch after you shoot them in the head a few times.

You can reset your skills at the appearence changing station.

Yes, the Goliaths are great.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Seemenaked posted:

Wondering if there is some way to reset my skills like in the first game.

You can buy a skill reset from the big machines that change your clothing, marked as little people icons on your map. It's the option at the very bottom.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Seemenaked posted:

I also love the goliaths, they are such a fun mob to watch after you shoot them in the head a few times.

SIR! You drop gun! :downsgun:

Seriously, the VA for the Goliath and enraged hit it out of the ballpark. You can tell he had a lot of fun with it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Goliaths are pretty much my favorite new enemy in the game.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Ulvirich posted:

Seriously, the VA for the Goliath and enraged hit it out of the ballpark. You can tell he had a lot of fun with it.

The Goliath VA sounds like Hercule from the DBZ dub. No clue if it's the same guy or not.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Vakal posted:

The Goliath VA sounds like Hercule from the DBZ dub. No clue if it's the same guy or not.

It is. He's Mr. Torgue too ҉

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Ulvirich posted:

Cheat Engine is God's way of saying your lifestyle choice of console is incorrect. :smug:

Even though Borderlands 2 has been one of my favorite games ever despite its shortcomings, I have to admit you're loving right!! Anyone know how the Mac Steam version would run on a Macbook Pro with 2.2 quad i7, 8 gig DDR3 with AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB?

AND can you play it with a controller? I know it's weird, but I hate playing FPS shooters with a mouse.

Greenplastic fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 3, 2013

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Ok, well, since you're willing to repent your console sins, even if it is a ~Mac~

Going by this link; yes, yes you can. They recommend Motion Joy and make sure you have the "Playstation 3" radial button switched to "Xbox 360 Controller Emulator".

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah for Pt1 I would tone it down a little. It may still be a tad too good for some people on TVHM, but I really don't care for grinding. gently caress spending hours just to find a single gun that you want. I had that multiple times, when my shotgun or assault rifle got outclassed. Now I run through a couple of chests and probably get something that's good.

But even with such a good rate, you are likely to toss a fair number of guns since they don't fit your build/taste. I tossed most of the loot from the screens as it wasn't fitting my style.

I actually started running with 200/100/40/30/20/10/5 which makes gun drops from enemies rarer but still gives you a lot of good stuff. The purple and orange rates are still a bit high but I'm having fun. Just took down the Warrior with a Torgue spinigun. :black101:

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
So when you modify the drop rates, can you still host a multiplayer game and have other people join and share the benefits? Also, the game says that grouping is supposed to increase drops, so does that actually amplify the cheatengine changes, or does it overwrite them?

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
So I'm a little confused about the leveling mechanics in TVHM. Do enemy/quest levels match only to whatever your level is the first time you enter a given area, or do they continue to level with you? Do open quests bump to level 50 if you complete the main quest? I goofed and finished Lilith's quest line so I didn't get the best level version of her shield (:doh:), but I'd rather not miss out on maxing out the rewards for some other quests.

EDIT: Also, do the leveling mechanics differ for the DLC in TVHM? I was going to start playing through some of them once I hit 50.

GFBeach fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 3, 2013

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

AirRaid posted:

Something Like This is what I used to use. Res, team heal, then damage damage damage. Combine that with a classmod that boosts Reaper, and a good rifle or shotgun (Anything high powered that's likely to kill in one or two hits) and you can absolutley slay mobs. Longer phaselock gives a better opportunity to hold up badasses and shred them with Wreck. Immolate is useful because with res you'll become the primary healer, but if you go down, poo poo can go sideways pretty quick. Having an extra 50% damage to deal can tip the scale. It is fire damage though so is less effective in certain situations.

I usually ran with a cooldown relic. Phaselock has a pretty small cooldown anyway but you can knock it down to like 10 seconds with a relic, 6 or 7 if you go all out for cooldown.

Thanks man. I'll give this a try.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Kersch posted:

So when you modify the drop rates, can you still host a multiplayer game and have other people join and share the benefits? Also, the game says that grouping is supposed to increase drops, so does that actually amplify the cheatengine changes, or does it overwrite them?

Drop rates are based on the host, so yes you'll get CE drop rates if the host is running it. I dunno for sure if multiplayer boosts those rates further, but it seems like it. Playing co-op with a buddy, I ended up with three orange grenade mods dropping in less than half an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
CE shouldn't flag your account for VAC cheating, right? I doubt it, but I probably should ask nevertheless.

(It's not like my local host is VAC secured anyway :v: )

• Locked thread