Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

How is it vile poo poo? Serious question. I haven't watched that movie in years and remember being highly entertained by it.

I think a lot of people were offended by its casual racism & sexism as well as its tacit approval of hideous violence.

Myself, I found it too stone-loving-stupid to bother getting worked up over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
New trailer for Iron Man 3 in five days.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I think a lot of people were offended by its casual racism & sexism as well as its tacit approval of hideous violence.

Myself, I found it too stone-loving-stupid to bother getting worked up over.

The only good thing to come from that film is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvP7TLnkiB4

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Hewlett posted:

Snake Plissken.

As gay as I am for Kurt Russel, I actually kind of liked the shlock that was Lockout, and think Guy would make a fine Snake.

I don't understand the need for all the different armor in Iron Man 3... will he really change them 2-3 times through the course of the movie, or is it to sell action figures? I am aware that Tony has multiple suits, but really, crammed in to one film?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Firstborn posted:

As gay as I am for Kurt Russel, I actually kind of liked the shlock that was Lockout, and think Guy would make a fine Snake.

I don't understand the need for all the different armor in Iron Man 3... will he really change them 2-3 times through the course of the movie, or is it to sell action figures? I am aware that Tony has multiple suits, but really, crammed in to one film?

If it is anything like the comic he finds his old armor is useless and is destroyed by a terrorist that has taken extremis, so he has to create new armor to stop him. He also has diffrent armer for diffrent purposes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh nice, this is on youtube. I've been meaning to watch it for a while.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

bobkatt013 posted:

I wouldn't call it a good thing. It's pretty depressing watching that dude spiral out of control and treat his friends like total garbage.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

I wouldn't call it a good thing. It's pretty depressing watching that dude spiral out of control and treat his friends like total garbage.

It made sure that his career was over before it begain. Then he destroyed it more with Boondock Saints 2.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

bobkatt013 posted:

It made sure that his career was over before it begain. Then he destroyed it more with Boondock Saints 2.

His career was over long before that documentary came out. It's basically a post-mortem.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

PeterWeller posted:

How is it vile poo poo? Serious question. I haven't watched that movie in years and remember being highly entertained by it.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

its casual racism & sexism as well as its tacit approval of hideous violence.

If it had been smart and disgusting I might have forgiven it somewhat, but as Lt Ken said, it's loving moronic while also being kinda disgusting

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!
hey cool thirty new posts in the comic book movie thread in the past few hours maybe h jon benjamin was confirmed as rocket raccoon or david lynch is directing the justice league movie nope just talking about 2004 era goon movie favorites

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad
Saw this drop yesterday and as far as I can tell hasn't made it's way here yet... new IM3 poster:

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
Stark only wears the armour to cover up the Boondock tattoos.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
That looks awful.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Nobody brings it up nowadays but people definitely tried to argue Boondock Saints was a good movie back in the day on SA.

Also that Family Guy was an overlooked comedic gem.

mfaley posted:

Saw this drop yesterday and as far as I can tell hasn't made it's way here yet... new IM3 poster:

Looking at this poster I hear a monster truck commercial voice shouting "FIRST WE HAD ONE IRON MAN, LAST TIME THERE WERE TWO, NOW WE HAVE MORE IRON MANS THAN YOU'LL KNOW WHAT TO DO WIIIIITH!"

The trailer made it look like it's going to try and be serious and Dark Knight Rises-ish, which is the exact opposite of what made people like the original so much.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I dig the new poster for IM3, and I assume all the other Iron dudes are part of all the armors he worked on since The Avengers. And while it would stink if it was all "dark" and "gritty" like the last Batman, I doubt they'd do that. But it does seem they're trying to sell a sadder, more alone Stark. Which I mean if you consider the fact in the Marvel U he's pretty much billed the smartest guy on the planet, it seems like when he popped into space to save everyone actually facing the idea of alien life freaked him out. Especially since they have fancier toys than him.

Chris Cooper just got cast as Norman Osborn. I'm hoping like Garfield, Cooper satisfies me more than Dafoe did. Though I don't know if I want him to actually act the part, or just be the bad guy from The Muppets again, only fighting Spider-man.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

John Romero posted:

hey cool thirty new posts in the comic book movie thread in the past few hours maybe h jon benjamin was confirmed as rocket raccoon or david lynch is directing the justice league movie nope just talking about 2004 era goon movie favorites

hey cool a shitpost

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also that Family Guy was an overlooked comedic gem.

Looking at this poster I hear a monster truck commercial voice shouting "FIRST WE HAD ONE IRON MAN, LAST TIME THERE WERE TWO, NOW WE HAVE MORE IRON MANS THAN YOU'LL KNOW WHAT TO DO WIIIIITH!"

The trailer made it look like it's going to try and be serious and Dark Knight Rises-ish, which is the exact opposite of what made people like the original so much.

Yeah it's kind of weird that the trailer is so grim, but it's a Shane Black + RDJ movie. I'm expecting the movie to match IM1 in tone, but it's still a weird move as half of the charm of the Iron Man movies is Tony quipping like a drunk spider-man.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

PeterWeller posted:

It's vile poo poo because insecure nerds don't want to like something that douchebags who beat them up in high school also like. See also: Fight Club, Halo, Scarface, and for awhile there, Quentin Tarantino.

It's a movie that takes place in a comic book style world, but people seem to think it's taking itself seriously when it absolutely isn't. It's a fun, dumb, flawed action movie from a slightly amoral director that gets judged on the level of Brazil when it really belongs in the same category as something like Demolition man.

If nobody bought posters or replica rosaries and then tried to explain the flick's artistic brilliance, the backlash would be nonexistent and this argument wouldn't come up every time somebody mentioned the film around here.

The guy who made it's an rear end. I still like watching the movie because the actors are great and the action is well done, despite what I keep being told.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Since when did nerds like Scarface? I always heard the argument that nerds didn't like it and mocked it because the ghetto thugs who did like it "didn't get it" because Scarface dies in the end.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Fishylungs posted:

Chris Cooper just got cast as Norman Osborn. I'm hoping like Garfield, Cooper satisfies me more than Dafoe did. Though I don't know if I want him to actually act the part, or just be the bad guy from The Muppets again, only fighting Spider-man.

Just give him a quick musical number of equal quality and I'm all set.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

It's a movie that takes place in a comic book style world, but people seem to think it's taking itself seriously when it absolutely isn't. It's a fun, dumb, flawed action movie from a slightly amoral director that gets judged on the level of Brazil when it really belongs in the same category as something like Demolition man.

See, even judging it on that level that doesn't really work though because Demolition Man is so much better than Boondock Saints it ain't even funny. What's your boggle?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Demolition Man is so much better it actually is kind of funny.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Since when did nerds like Scarface? I always heard the argument that nerds didn't like it and mocked it because the ghetto thugs who did like it "didn't get it" because Scarface dies in the end.

That's kind of the point he was making.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

WickedIcon posted:

In that case, I definitely don't agree, because in my experience nerds love Fight Club, Tarantino and Halo.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Sarcastro posted:

Just give him a quick musical number of equal quality and I'm all set.

You know, despite initially being really jazzed for the musical, I never heard a thing from it. I wonder if any of the songs from that would fit the bill.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Boondock Saints is a sloppy retread of Pulp Fiction without the style or intelligence, and the trademark scene with the cat is such a pale and pathetic rip of the "I shot Marvin" scene that I can't believe they weren't booed. It's the filmic version of off-brand cereal. Overnight is icing because of course only a whiny prick could make such a jerky flaccid dick of a movie. It's nu-metal: the film. I spit on The Boondock Saints.

Good cast though.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Frankly, I'm more inclined to say that Boondock Saints is an attempted retread of stuff like Death Wish 3 and Commando than a direct retread of Pulp Fiction. Stylistically, it's very Tarantino-inspired, but there's just this surreal quality to it where you can tell the movie's more preoccupied with showing people shooting at each other and spouting crappy one liners than with maintaining any real sort of coherence.

And the casting certainly helps. You can tell the actors give more of a poo poo about the movie than anyone else who worked on it, and that actually goes a surprisingly long way.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

WickedIcon posted:

And the casting certainly helps. You can tell the actors give more of a poo poo about the movie than anyone else who worked on it, and that actually goes a surprisingly long way.

Norman Reedus deserves better than just about every part he's ever been given.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

WickedIcon posted:

I definitely read wrong, because three of those things are stuff nerds won't shut up about loving and Scarface is kind of the odd man out.

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

It's vile poo poo because insecure nerds don't want to like something that douchebags who beat them up in high school also like. See also: Fight Club, Halo, Scarface, and for awhile there, Quentin Tarantino.

it's more of a rejection of their teenage years. They hate how they were/acted as teenagers so they reject everything they liked during that perod in an effort to distance themselves from it. it's an over-the-top act of self-loathing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
James Mangold (@mang0ld) tweeted six images that "inspired / influenced" his take on Wolverine.

Two of those are Wong Kar-Wai films.

Sold.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

DivisionPost posted:

James Mangold (@mang0ld) tweeted six images that "inspired / influenced" his take on Wolverine.

Sold.

Besides the two Wong Kar-Wai films and Floating Weeds, which I don't know, I spotted The Outlaw Josey Wales, Duel on Ganryu Island and Black Narcissus.

I haven't seen any of the X-Men related films since X-Men 3, but I think Mr. Mangold has got me with this one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Sold.

Huh. Clint Eastwood and Asian cinema have long been two touchstones for Wolverine, but I definitely was not expecting Black Narcissus. He's definitely piqued my interest now.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

SaintFu posted:

I haven't seen any of the X-Men related films since X-Men 3, but I think Mr. Mangold has got me with this one.

I rather enjoyed First Class & Origins: Wolverine. I really recommend them.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I think this establishes you as someone who likes basically anything, good or bad.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Wendell posted:

I think this establishes you as someone who likes basically anything, good or bad.

Is that a necessarily bad thing? I am quite easily impressed.

What's wrong with FC & O:W then?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Origins: Wolverine is a weird movie that starts at a high point, and gets worse as the movie goes on. The best scene of the entire movie is the opening credits (that's not an indictment, the opening credits are amazing), and every scene that follows is just a little bit worse than the one that came before it. This goes on through the whole movie until you reach the end and it's a complete cluster gently caress, with a Deadpool who can't talk, a blind Cyclops, Gambit doing nothing of interest, and a waxy Professor X.

I don't hate it, but I certainly don't love it. It could have been so much better than it ended up being.

First Class was good, though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Didn't Fox and Gavin Hood also reportedly butt heads on the themes and direction of Origins to the point that Fox flew Richard Donner out to the set to "assist" Hood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

thet0wer posted:

it's more of a rejection of their teenage years. They hate how they were/acted as teenagers so they reject everything they liked during that perod in an effort to distance themselves from it. it's an over-the-top act of self-loathing.
This is an excellent point.

Here's a question:

I saw Wolverine long after it had been out on video due to the terrible reputation it had. I found it pretty mediocre, but it had its moments. Was all the vitriol it got based on that leaked cut that made the rounds, or were people just expecting more?

Granted, my expectations were low as all balls after reading years of posts about it, so it didn't take much to impress me.

• Locked thread