Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, no PS2 support, just PS1. My personal favorite jRPG on the PS3 is Disgaea 3, I wanna recommend Disgaea 4 but I haven't played that one yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GUI posted:

Is Ninja Gaiden 2 (and I guess 1 as well) more about parrying than doing flashy moves? Because I just played the demo for the 360 and it reminded me quite a bit of Metal Gear Rising Revengeance except slightly slower paced.

That's not inaccurate. It's a very defensive game. Like Rising it's important to recognize the frame timing for and to understand what needs to blocked and what needs to be evaded. Unlike Rising enemies can push you much easier if you misjudge and the combat is less offensive than Rising and more about finding a hole and exploiting it and then going back on the defensive.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Sjonkel posted:

I've had my PS3 for a few months, but haven't used it much. Figured I'd pick up some new games. If I've understood correctly, newer PS3's can't play PS2 games, is that correct? Also, what are the best jrpg's for the PS3?

I don't know if it qualifies as a traditional JRPG, but I'm having so much fun with Ni no Kuni.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Sjonkel posted:

I've had my PS3 for a few months, but haven't used it much. Figured I'd pick up some new games. If I've understood correctly, newer PS3's can't play PS2 games, is that correct? Also, what are the best jrpg's for the PS3?

Tales of Graces f is really fun.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ImpAtom posted:

That's not inaccurate. It's a very defensive game. Like Rising it's important to recognize the frame timing for and to understand what needs to blocked and what needs to be evaded. Unlike Rising enemies can push you much easier if you misjudge and the combat is less offensive than Rising and more about finding a hole and exploiting it and then going back on the defensive.

God help you if you let your guard down around the spider ninja clan on hard or above difficulty.

gently caress THOSE SPIDER NINJA CLAN SPAMMING EXPLODING KUNAI BASTARDS. :argh:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Assassin's Creed 4 trailer is out in the wild.

Remember when AC used to be about hidden blades, blending in plain sight, stealth assassinations, etc etc? Well eff that, let's put the god drat assassin's crest on a big flag and go sail the Caribbean and find some wenches while we're at it, because that's what the order taught us to do. :yarr:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Krad posted:

Assassin's Creed 4 trailer is out in the wild.

Remember when AC used to be about hidden blades, blending in plain sight, stealth assassinations, etc etc? Well eff that, let's put the god drat assassin's crest on a big flag and go sail the Caribbean and find some wenches while we're at it, because that's what the order taught us to do. :yarr:

Wasn't that only in the first game that everybody agrees is the worst one?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

notZaar posted:

Wasn't that only in the first game that everybody agrees is the worst one?

Yeah, but at least Ezio was trying to follow in Altair's steps. Kinda. And then AC3 is its own thing really.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, the first game was most like that, but even then, it wasn't a super fleshed out system even then. In all fairness, it seems like most of the characters just call them selves assassins in the sequels, Altair was the only one that was really part of the actual group, more or less.

Game looks like it could be really good, but I don't have a whole lot of faith in Ubisoft at this point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Krad posted:

Remember when AC used to be about hidden blades, blending in plain sight, stealth assassinations, etc etc?

Yeah.

That one sucked.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can't wait for the new monthly installment of Assassins Creed. So exciting.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

When will I be able to turn myself into sand or get stretchy, rubber limbs at the cost of being able to swim?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess I'll have to look elsewhere for my fix of walking slowly up behind people and stabbing them in the back, and then walking away before anyone notices. Skyrim as an assassin fits that reasonably well I guess.

edit: but then, that seems to fit into the game's story, the assassins started out as, you know, assassins, but over time they turned into more of a cult and the assassin stuff became like rituals and not actual practice. I guess I wish they would set the game back earlier in the history of the organization, where they were all stabbing, all the time.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 2, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Krad posted:

Yeah, but at least Ezio was trying to follow in Altair's steps. Kinda. And then AC3 is its own thing really.
Ezio. Auditore. The flamboyant heart-breaker who crashed parties as a bard, stole kisses in amidst daring daylight rooftop chases, and killed the pope.

Is that the Ezio you mean?

I think he basically took the "nothing is true, everything is permitted" credo to heart. If he's the one that reformed the order, a bunch of privateers flying a Creed jolly roger makes perfect sense. So long as they're roguish and rakishly handsome, at least. Ezio already fit 9/10ths of the pirate stereotype - all he really needed was a pencil thin moustache.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 2, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Level Slide posted:

When will I be able to turn myself into sand or get stretchy, rubber limbs at the cost of being able to swim?

The latest Assassin's Creed 3 DLC gives you magic power so hold onto that hope.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

1 is also the only one you play as an assassin, and not just an Assassin.

Nobody trained Ezio at all. Connor learns from someone in the post-Ezio days. Aveline too, and the same with the new one.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ImpAtom posted:

Ahahahah what? Oh man the hell is going on with this?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

But you always had magic power? What on earth else do you call the apple of eden?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Well its not like the DLC is itself staying within the realm of "real life" considering its about George Washington deciding to become King of America. Also, yeah, the series has always had supernatural abilities in it considering how Eagle Vision is supposed to work.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This new main character had better has Errol Flynn level of swashbuckler or else all this poo poo will be for naught. The trailer gives that impression, so he had better be. I want to run my ship like Captain Blood.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm pretty new to the Assassin's Creed series and I never gave it another chance because the first one practically put me to sleep. Which one should I start with?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

noirstronaut posted:

I'm pretty new to the Assassin's Creed series and I never gave it another chance because the first one practically put me to sleep. Which one should I start with?
2, and then play Brotherhood. Skip the rest.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I did that (except I skipped Brotherhood too :ssh:)
The games are so same-y and formulaic, it's just blah. 2 was a lot of fun, I like the Tomb Raider-esque puzzle dungeons too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

It's an alternate history where George Washington is an evil tyrant and Connor gets magic native powers of Wolf, Bear and Eagle.

noirstronaut posted:

Play AC2. play Brotherhood. Pretend it ends there.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It's an alternate history where George Washington is an evil tyrant and Connor gets magic native powers of Wolf, Bear and Eagle.

Actual magic powers? Like not "Piece of Eden means I can blow poo poo up" but genuine magical abilities? That almost makes me want to play AC3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Actual magic powers? Like not "Piece of Eden means I can blow poo poo up" but genuine magical abilities? That almost makes me want to play AC3.

It's only in the DLC but yes. He drinks magic tea or something like that.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Man, 2 and Brotherhood are pretty awesome.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

It's only in the DLC but yes. He drinks magic tea or something like that.

Oh, you can turn invisible! Because being able to hide in any bush with 100% success rate, jump down from trees and silently strangle people, call your assassins to kill people for you, not to mention being able to win every straight-on fight easily wasn't enough already. And none of the story missions required sneaking anyway, and it often isn't even possible since you have to follow someone or whatever.

edit: if only they had kept developing the series like it was in 1 instead of changing it into a swashbuckling game. I mean, nothing against swashbuckling games but I wanted something else from AC.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 2, 2013

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
AC1 sucked but not because it was about stealth and blending with the people. It sucked because it had horrible mission design, but it had potential. I hate that they turned what should be the side content into the main attraction while the core gameplay is an afterthought.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sjonkel posted:

New to the PS3? You should definitely try PS+. It will grant you access to a growing library of free games, that you can play so long as you have an active subscription. Every month new games are added to the service, and you don't lose the ones from previous months. If you're in Europe, you can get a 30 day trial here

It hasn't offered any JRPGs though, but I'd recommend Valkyria Chronicles (more of a strategy game, but with third-person shooter elements), the Yakuza series (beat-em-ups, but share a lot of similarities with JRPGs) NIER, and Ni no Kuni. You can also buy PS1 and PS2 games online, such as Persona 3 FES, Odin Sphere and the Final Fantasy series.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: if only they had kept developing the series like it was in 1 instead of changing it into a swashbuckling game. I mean, nothing against swashbuckling games but I wanted something else from AC.

Sometimes I'm not even sure what it is that people like about AC anymore.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Krad posted:

Sometimes I'm not even sure what it is that people like about AC anymore.
I like that there is a single button labeled "assassinate" which basically always works as long as the target isn't expecting it. Everything else can go to hell for all I care.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Samurai Sanders posted:

I like that there is a single button labeled "assassinate" which basically always works as long as the target isn't expecting it. Everything else can go to hell for all I care.

This. I just want to run on roofs and stab historical dudes. Still working on Brothehood, have Revaltions.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Here's a ACIV trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0-zYE7hl9M
As someone who doesn't give a poo poo about pirates or AC, I honestly thinks this looks alright.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
For everyone badmouthing Ezio, he states himself in Rev that he doesn't take "nothing is true, everything is permitted" literally. Also, Ezio was trained by multiple people. He was probably given his parkour training by his brother Frederico.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

axleblaze posted:

Here's a ACIV trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0-zYE7hl9M
As someone who doesn't give a poo poo about pirates or AC, I honestly thinks this looks alright.
Worth posting twice. That looks bitching in terms of mood and setting.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Stare-Out posted:

Aw, it wasn't embedded so I missed that it was posted when I browsed the last few pages. My bad :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah I'm excited too, but at the same time I want the old AC back. I want both. I want it all!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Well, look on the bright side. We probably won't craft couches in this game! If this just turns out to be Assassin's Creed meets Sid Meier's Pirates! then I'm on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

axleblaze posted:

Aw, it wasn't embedded so I missed that it was posted when I browsed the last few pages. My bad :(
No, it really is worth posting twice. :haw:

There was some stealthy stabbing in that trailer, though what possible city could that be? Some Caribbean port perhaps? Also let's do some crazy speculating; dual wielding all weapons, revamped swimming which allows underwater diving/exploration, isolated islands and atolls to sail to and dig up some booty on :yarr:

• Locked thread