Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cross-posting from the Colonial Marines thread, but people should buy and play AvP: Evolution - I helped beta-test it! :haw:

It's a bit of a successor to the prior 'Predators' movie tie-in game that was done by the same studio, but with much more expanded gameplay and content.

It's a third-person hack-and-slash game with 2 crisscrossing story campaigns, one as an Alien and one as a Predator. The two species initially play very similarly, but you get XP for killing enemies and completing levels and can spend it on various "upgrades" that make the two characters play pretty differently.

The Alien starts as a facehugger and you have to go find a dude to facehug, and while it's not as cool as the first mission in AvP2, it's still a pretty neat novelty. As an adult Alien you use basic claw attacks and can strike and block, and chain together various combos that are effective against different enemy types. As you level up you can buy physical upgrades for your Alien that change how it looks (with heads, torsos, and tails based on the creatures from the movies, like the one from 'Alien', 'Aliens', 'Alien3', 'Alien Resurrection', AvP:R, and then a Praetorian) and each component also gives you various stat boosts, like XP gain percentages, greater melee damage, access to special attacks when that component is equipped, greater armor, etc. Additionally if you use a "complete set" at the same time (i.e., Resurrection Head, Resurrection Body, and Resurrection Tail) you get a complete set bonus like faster movement speed, unbreakable combos, etc.
Aside from the physical upgrades, there's also "ability" upgrades - you can unlock block-counters, the ability to call in facehuggers to leap at and one-hit-kill weak enemies for you, faster health regeneration (the Alien can passively regen health, the Predator cannot), and "Rage Mode". As you deal damage to enemies you build up "rage", and when it maxes out you can go into Rage Mode and you take less damage, move faster, and all your attacks deal more damage.

The Predator is similar, but he has a bunch of ranged attacks thrown into the mix based on his equipment from the movies. You can unlock masks, armor, and shoulder cannons from the movies, (including both Predator movies, both AvP movies, and 'Predators'). Like with the Alien component parts, the Predator ones give different boosts or access to special attacks, and the shoulder cannons all behave differently (the AvP:R cannon is two cannons, one on each shoulder, and they fire in tandem. There's also one that is rapid-fire, or one that's like a shotgun effect, etc), and also like with the Alien you get "full set" bonuses. The Predator can also cloak and use vision modes, and he gets access to things like spears, razor-whips, the smart-disc, mines, and various wristblade upgrades.

Both species can also do "executions" against stronger enemies - you'll weaken them a bit, and then an icon pops up over the enemy's head and you follow on-screen prompts to complete the execution. Stuff like headbites or facehugger-slams as the Alien, or tearing enemies in half or yanking their head off as a trophy for the Predator.

It's a really fun game, looks great, plays great, and there's a shitton to do. There's like 20 story missions between the Alien and Predator, and then another 11 or so objective-based "side missions" that you can play to gain XP or whatever. Stuff like defending eggs as the Alien, or getting X number of cloaked stealth kills as the Predator, etc.

You can buy XP in-game for real-world money, but you'll never need to. The game is fun enough that even replaying some of the side missions to farm XP is never a chore. Also there's additional planned content in the works, like more missions, more unlockable equipment/components, and possibly some sort of multiplayer. The game is $5 on the Apple App Store right now and it's totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Has anyone done a Xenophobe type game?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Don't know a thing about Warhammer, but Warhammer Quest is looking fantastic.

Edit:

Yay!

If this is based on the pen and paper game it'll be loving dope.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Xenomrph posted:

Cross-posting from the Colonial Marines thread, but people should buy and play AvP: Evolution - I helped beta-test it! :haw:

It's a bit of a successor to the prior 'Predators' movie tie-in game that was done by the same studio, but with much more expanded gameplay and content.

It's a third-person hack-and-slash game with 2 crisscrossing story campaigns, one as an Alien and one as a Predator. The two species initially play very similarly, but you get XP for killing enemies and completing levels and can spend it on various "upgrades" that make the two characters play pretty differently.

The Alien starts as a facehugger and you have to go find a dude to facehug, and while it's not as cool as the first mission in AvP2, it's still a pretty neat novelty. As an adult Alien you use basic claw attacks and can strike and block, and chain together various combos that are effective against different enemy types. As you level up you can buy physical upgrades for your Alien that change how it looks (with heads, torsos, and tails based on the creatures from the movies, like the one from 'Alien', 'Aliens', 'Alien3', 'Alien Resurrection', AvP:R, and then a Praetorian) and each component also gives you various stat boosts, like XP gain percentages, greater melee damage, access to special attacks when that component is equipped, greater armor, etc. Additionally if you use a "complete set" at the same time (i.e., Resurrection Head, Resurrection Body, and Resurrection Tail) you get a complete set bonus like faster movement speed, unbreakable combos, etc.
Aside from the physical upgrades, there's also "ability" upgrades - you can unlock block-counters, the ability to call in facehuggers to leap at and one-hit-kill weak enemies for you, faster health regeneration (the Alien can passively regen health, the Predator cannot), and "Rage Mode". As you deal damage to enemies you build up "rage", and when it maxes out you can go into Rage Mode and you take less damage, move faster, and all your attacks deal more damage.

The Predator is similar, but he has a bunch of ranged attacks thrown into the mix based on his equipment from the movies. You can unlock masks, armor, and shoulder cannons from the movies, (including both Predator movies, both AvP movies, and 'Predators'). Like with the Alien component parts, the Predator ones give different boosts or access to special attacks, and the shoulder cannons all behave differently (the AvP:R cannon is two cannons, one on each shoulder, and they fire in tandem. There's also one that is rapid-fire, or one that's like a shotgun effect, etc), and also like with the Alien you get "full set" bonuses. The Predator can also cloak and use vision modes, and he gets access to things like spears, razor-whips, the smart-disc, mines, and various wristblade upgrades.

Both species can also do "executions" against stronger enemies - you'll weaken them a bit, and then an icon pops up over the enemy's head and you follow on-screen prompts to complete the execution. Stuff like headbites or facehugger-slams as the Alien, or tearing enemies in half or yanking their head off as a trophy for the Predator.

It's a really fun game, looks great, plays great, and there's a shitton to do. There's like 20 story missions between the Alien and Predator, and then another 11 or so objective-based "side missions" that you can play to gain XP or whatever. Stuff like defending eggs as the Alien, or getting X number of cloaked stealth kills as the Predator, etc.

You can buy XP in-game for real-world money, but you'll never need to. The game is fun enough that even replaying some of the side missions to farm XP is never a chore. Also there's additional planned content in the works, like more missions, more unlockable equipment/components, and possibly some sort of multiplayer. The game is $5 on the Apple App Store right now and it's totally worth it.

It's honestly a pretty fun game some of the time ...unless you're playing on an iPhone 4. Maybe it's just me, but the frame rate is pretty unspectacular more often than not and causes any multiple tasking you do while the game is running to come to a crawl.

It's an alright game and certainly leagues ahead of A:CM, just wish it was a little smoother and, maybe, allowed the alien to always have the ability to scale the walls.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Not a viking posted:

It [Helsing's fire] just restarts after I choose "start" the campaign (lite version)

Not sure how I got around this but I hit it too but going back to the home screen or locking the phone while the game was up or _something_ I did kicked it out of this state, when I went back to the game I was sitting at the level select screen and actually able to, you know, select levels. Something to do with its backgrounding code I guess? (iPhone 5 OS 6.1.2)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Don't know a thing about Warhammer, but Warhammer Quest is looking fantastic.

Edit:

Yay!

This done by the Hunters devs? It looks really similar, but with beefed up graphics.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

duckfarts posted:

This done by the Hunters devs? It looks really similar, but with beefed up graphics.

Indeed it is. My only one hope is that it works on jailbroken devices without going into safe mode, it's such a drat pain.

Edit: A little more about the new AVP game: the controls become so unresponsive at times that it's actually nearly unplayable. I'm not sure I would recommend it at this point to anyone other than fairly devoted Aliens/Predator fans.

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 2, 2013

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

heiden posted:

I restarted also because of aspergers, went full cherries/luck and after a rough start in the second volume, I could eventually grind that 700hp guy for items with about 90% success. Here's a cool strategy for those later levels: In volume 1 there's an endurance battle with the old guy, on the third one he has 15.000hp for which you get 3500xp. Whittle him down to ~400hp with a strong composition, then switch equip to 3 x 10% exp bride and 3 x exp boni. Nets you around 13-14000 exp :)

I love the music, sound effects and the little bits of voice acting in King Cashing 2, can't overstate what a great job they did with this game.
About your spoiler, don't forget about his tip in chapter 3. Killing his gold medal form with a bladed weapon gets you a unique melee weapon that has a hit rate of 6 and damage equal to 3 x your current number of cherries.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is anyone here who's playing Real Racing 3 able to honestly say that they are faster racing with the assists off? I just see no incentive to race without the assists. With them on, your cornering is perfect, and then you're able to win races to get the money, to get all the cool cars you want. But then all you're doing is steering, and so much for this being a sim type game.

It just feels like they've removed the element of skill, and winning races is just a matter of upgrading your car to be faster than the competition. And this gameplay design only exists to serve their IAP centric scheme.

Real Racing 1 was the best. The multiplayer system of racing for the best track times in live sessions was great. The handling felt just right. It didn't hold your hand. It felt like a sim. It's too bad they had to take EA's money and let them rape their IP like they have many times before. RR3 feels too much like a cash grab. The graphics, the tracks, the cars, and content is amazing. It's too bad it's spoiled by poor design.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

The Rokstar posted:

About your spoiler, don't forget about his tip in chapter 3. Killing his gold medal form with a bladed weapon gets you a unique melee weapon that has a hit rate of 6 and damage equal to 3 x your current number of cherries.

Yea, I've gotten around to that since, good thing to have for future gold star hunting. I've been farming the 3rd secret boss for golden tier 7 weapons with a two +super chest boni equipped which gets me around 5-7 golden chests each battle, got some really great weapons from that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

omg chael crash posted:

Indeed it is. My only one hope is that it works on jailbroken devices without going into safe mode, it's such a drat pain.

Edit: A little more about the new AVP game: the controls become so unresponsive at times that it's actually nearly unplayable. I'm not sure I would recommend it at this point to anyone other than fairly devoted Aliens/Predator fans.
I've never had any control issues (not even during the beta), but I'm playing on an iPod Touch 5th Gen so I dunno.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

quote:

Is anyone here who's playing Real Racing 3 able to honestly say that they are faster racing with the assists off?

I turned off all the assists pretty much right away, and turned on the manual throttle pedal. I'm not sure if it's faster because I didn't really compare; I just didn't like the car doing all kinds of things I didn't tell it to do.

I think the real competitive part is supposed to come when you start competing with your friends after getting a gold medal in an event. Before that, it matches you up with a bunch of random slow people. Afterward, it puts your friends in there and lets them run their best lap times (which could be unbeatably fast, hence why they have to let you get the gold before doing this). So presumably at that point you would all be running fully upgraded cars or whatever. Until then, yeah, it does have that Gran Turismo quality of the winner just being the guy who shows up with the best car. But I think it's sort of like moving from campaign to multiplayer mode.

I really like the game. I played it for several hours without being bothered too much by the timers (probably got more hooked on this than any iOS game I can remember), although I can see that the timers do start to get longer with the higher-end cars. On the other hand, you need less service if you drive more cleanly. The best car I have so far is the McLaren MP4-12C and you can pretty easily rack up 1-2 hours of service time if you smash into everything in sight.

The biggest downside is the way the "time-shifted multiplayer" works. The other cars seem to just follow their recorded lines without deviating at all, regardless of whether you're in their way. If you beat them to the inside of a corner, they will just plow into the side of you heading for the apex. Sometimes they'll even side-swipe you on a straight for no apparent reason--I think because they were trying to get around a car in the recorded lap.

The level of realism is pretty good for this type of game, though. I've been doing a lot of iRacing lately and I'm a lot better in this game on the tracks that I've practiced in iRacing and know the lines and braking points. That's pretty impressive for an iPad game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

KominAaa posted:

Our game Shufflepuck Cantina has been updated on iOS, still free with optionnal IAPs.
I just tried it. This is pretty great. Air hockey with missions, goals, pucks you can upgrade and all this is in space. A pretty original and good looking title. More people should try this out and hey - it's free.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I've never had any control issues (not even during the beta), but I'm playing on an iPod Touch 5th Gen so I dunno.

I'm sure gameplay would be better with an iPhone 5 or even 4s so, perhaps, I'm being a little too critical.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

omg chael crash posted:

I'm sure gameplay would be better with an iPhone 5 or even 4s so, perhaps, I'm being a little too critical.
I'm not trying to discount your criticism - mentioning to people that the game runs poorly on certain devices is definitely worthwhile - I was just trying to point out that your problems might be device-specific rather than indicative of the game in general. :)

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I'm not trying to discount your criticism - mentioning to people that the game runs poorly on certain devices is definitely worthwhile - I was just trying to point out that your problems might be device-specific rather than indicative of the game in general. :)

Yeah, it's surely a device issue. I just got to the egg guarding mission and it's completely unwinnable due to a huge drop in frame rate. I payed for the game so I'm still going to solider on and finish it, but I would recommend those with older iPods and iPhones to stay clear of this. Other than that, it's pretty fun.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

ChocNitty posted:

Is anyone here who's playing Real Racing 3 able to honestly say that they are faster racing with the assists off?
Yes. You can hit the corners faster, use the cars rwd/fwd for more effect in gaining speed out of the corners and use braking to weight shift the car for more manueverability.

After playung for a while my miain complaint is the choppieness and stuttering on my ipad3. I have a half dozen cars and once I got three the timers lost their annoyingness because I could just switch cars and keep racing. It does feel lije they're pretty chintzy with $R.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Crossposting from the board game thread, if any of you board game people don't read that.

Bummey posted:

Hey people, go download GroupMe and we can trash talk discuss strategy about games without chat, like Ascension and Ticket to Ride. It's a pretty neat group chat application. My contact is username at gmail.

http://appshopper.com/social-networking/groupme-for-iphone

Open this link in your browser to set up an account and join the group.
https://groupme.com/join_group/3767847/Sofhaw?source=Copy

I'm lookin' at you, EIGHT!

Bummey fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 2, 2013

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Could I get any recommendations for games in the vein of Ghost Trick? I'm more interested in the aspect where there's a mystery going on with some puzzling in-between. I guess I would consider Phoenix Wright or 999 as something similar just to give you an example. I'm almost sure it's a long shot but worth asking you guys.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Palpek posted:

Could I get any recommendations for games in the vein of Ghost Trick? I'm more interested in the aspect where there's a mystery going on with some puzzling in-between. I guess I would consider Phoenix Wright or 999 as something similar just to give you an example. I'm almost sure it's a long shot but worth asking you guys.
Maybe Broken Sword? It's a different style but still a very well-regarded puzzle/adventure/mystery game.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Secret of Chateau de Moreau is basically Phoenix Wright with more adventure game and less court case. There's a lite version you can try too.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

KominAaa posted:

Our game Shufflepuck Cantina has been updated on iOS, still free with optionnal IAPs.

- 1 new gorgeous 3D floor!
- 3 new opponents, their equipment and special strikes!
- New dynamic mini-quests between characters (more than 120)!
- New equipment upgrades, add a coin magnet and Credz generator to all your pucks!
- More than 100 new missions!
- More than 20 new achievements for Game Center!
- 3 new special strikes to master and unleash against all your opponents!

Also I don't know where to post that but if you like the game we could use some votes on Greenlight for a Steam Version with a lot more features to be released soon.
Hey, this is pretty fun :) Just FYI, I ran into a tiny bug on both my phone and iPad - the first time I opened the game it crashed after I responded to the push notification popup, but opened and played fine after that. Latest iOS version on both.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If anyone still has the Ghostbusters game (by Beeline, not the other GB game) that was released last month (that was extremely grindy and really bad with its two timers/resource limits), it got an update vastly improving on the grindy part. Looks like the requirements to unlock the next floor was reduced by 10 (at least for floor 11. 4200 to 420).

Grinding may actually serve a purpose (collect money for upgrades so you don't die if you progress too quickly up the tower).

The game was fun with all the movie call backs and original movie music but was severely hampered by the grind. It's now definitely worth a shot.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I'm thinking of checking out King Cashing 2 since you guys can't shut up about it. Does it matter that I never played the first one?

Raveyyy
Oct 16, 2001
100% Pure Penislotion Grade A

Corridor posted:

I'm thinking of checking out King Cashing 2 since you guys can't shut up about it. Does it matter that I never played the first one?

I don't think the first one had any story, so I think you'll be just fine. Besides it is an iOS game not a novel.

Raveyyy fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 3, 2013

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Corridor posted:

Nah, definitely not. Both are fun but 2 is basically the same game expanded into something way more thought out.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Why is the king a zombie in the second game

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

KominAaa posted:

TACD posted:

Hey, this is pretty fun :) Just FYI, I ran into a tiny bug on both my phone and iPad - the first time I opened the game it crashed after I responded to the push notification popup, but opened and played fine after that. Latest iOS version on both.

I was surprised! This game is actually pretty awesome and well done.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Puzzle Agent and its sequel are worth playing, it's more along the lines of the Professor Layton games with sections of adventuring followed by straight-up logic puzzles. The Hector:Badge of Carnage series is more adventure-y with bigger focus on inventory items and how they interact with the NPCs and scenery, also with a reasonable sense of humour infused into the conversations and puzzles.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys. Secret of Chateau de Moreau is especially something along the lines of what I was looking for. Puzzle Agent is also a good suggestion but I finished it on the PC. If anybody has anything more then don't hesitate to post.

nutranurse posted:

I was surprised! This game is actually pretty awesome and well done.
Yeah, seriously more poeple should play this - it's free too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIiKzdQM8yY&hd=1

It's a very polished and gorgeous looking game.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Corridor posted:

Why is the king a zombie in the second game

The answer is on the very first pages of the novel :P I've been playing the poo poo out of this game btw, developed some sick strategies and obtained almost every item.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Does anyone know if AVP:Evolution runs on an iPad 1?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Just got my first iOS device (iPad 4) and I'm looking for some game/app recommendations. I already got and finished Year Walk and The Room and have been playing Puzzle and Dragons as well as Puzzle Craft. I'd like a solid rpg or maybe a good rhythm game. Help me out guys!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

AllisonByProxy posted:

Just got my first iOS device (iPad 4) and I'm looking for some game/app recommendations. I already got and finished Year Walk and The Room and have been playing Puzzle and Dragons as well as Puzzle Craft. I'd like a solid rpg or maybe a good rhythm game. Help me out guys!
Bastion for RPG if you somehow haven't played it yet, and Beat Sneak Bandit for rhythm game. Also see the first post for a shitload of recommendations that are still solid.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

AllisonByProxy posted:

Battleheart is a really fun action rpg, and while Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery is neither a rpg or rhythm game it's really good and you should get it.

KominAaa
Jun 5, 2005

[vocoder]
Ask-me-about-M4RX15M and-80s-era-spacesynth
[/vocoder]

TACD posted:

We're looking into that, thank you.

Palpek posted:

Yeah, seriously more poeple should play this - it's free too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIiKzdQM8yY&hd=1

It's a very polished and gorgeous looking game.

Thanks man, it means a lot and I'm glad you like it, don't forget to Greenlight us if you can!

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Jefferoo posted:

Does anyone know if AVP:Evolution runs on an iPad 1?

I don't know if it will just REFUSE to run, but I do know that it's pretty drat terrible on my iPhone 4. Horrible frame rate, pretty lengthy load times, and controls that are near useless because they're so unresponsive at times. The hardware between the two doesn't seem to be that dissimilar but I can't really say for certain.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

What's the best city building sim? Sim City Deluxe looks broken in several ways. I installed it a ways back and the one type of road annoyed me, plus the water needs never settling down. There's a few that look like basically portals to shill in game content.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

KominAaa posted:

I've been playing this all weekend. Really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I think I might actually complete Pixel People. Maybe.

• Locked thread