Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Lynx posted:

How exactly do you show it? There's no option for it in Toolboks that I can see, and the "ShowXP" console command doesn't seem to do anything.

F1 with the soldier selected for their info screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
Turns out I was using the older 0.80 version of Toolboks, which is why the Show XP option wasn't showing up for me.

Anyway, thanks Orgophlax :tipshat:.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

FairGame posted:

I have no problem with THAT construction map, but the one where you start next to the forklift and there's that massive high rise on the left?

That place is a loving deathtrap. I have no idea how to not get both groups coming after you at once. The group on the right is easy to deal with.
I've done fairly well on this map at this point, but you'll need:
1. Squad sight snipers or rockets
2. Some good luck once the aliens do advance out

Basically, I stay in a corner out of line of sight from the building on the left next to the bulldozer. Keep everyone close together for a turn or two maybe. Then move the closest soldier to the dumpster in the corner behind full cover, and hunker down to draw some fire (it's a bad angle for all of them in that corner). Retreat everyone that can't stay out of line of sight from the aliens during their turn back where you just started behind the fence. I left a sniper once on the right before and never moved her during the entire mission. Overwatch bait them basically.

If you have a better time with aliens on the right than left, you'll want to stay with your backs against the fence while you advance to the dumpster to your right. However, I believe that's one of the worst places to go unless everyone is very closely packed because the game tends to pack in some aliens right behind that dumpster and on Impossible you're looking at 6 sectoids probably. So you'll need someone to pack some explosives to take out the pallet cover.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I made the mistake of looping around the left side on that construction map. It ends up that you come out in a fairly defensible area, but it's just turn after turn of walking down a one-square path and it's pretty boring.

Maybe next time I'll blow a hole in the wall with a grenade or something.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

necrobobsledder posted:

I've done fairly well on this map at this point, but you'll need:
1. Squad sight snipers or rockets
2. Some good luck once the aliens do advance out

Basically, I stay in a corner out of line of sight from the building on the left next to the bulldozer. Keep everyone close together for a turn or two maybe. Then move the closest soldier to the dumpster in the corner behind full cover, and hunker down to draw some fire (it's a bad angle for all of them in that corner). Retreat everyone that can't stay out of line of sight from the aliens during their turn back where you just started behind the fence. I left a sniper once on the right before and never moved her during the entire mission. Overwatch bait them basically.

If you have a better time with aliens on the right than left, you'll want to stay with your backs against the fence while you advance to the dumpster to your right. However, I believe that's one of the worst places to go unless everyone is very closely packed because the game tends to pack in some aliens right behind that dumpster and on Impossible you're looking at 6 sectoids probably. So you'll need someone to pack some explosives to take out the pallet cover.

Was referring to getting that map for your opening Impossible game. There are certain maps I won't even bother playing and will just restart.

That map, the flooded street, and the cemetary with the crypt in the center are all virtually pointless attempts as openers. The trainyard isn't much better.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
My nemisis map is the graveyard bomb mission.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Norcal fighting game player Dacidbro is streaming the X-Com drinking game!

Stream here: http://www.twitch.tv/dacidbro/new

Rules here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmyGwm_4sr2EdFNCYXlGaEQ5SWk5eVlNUE9ONTQ2Y2c#gid=0

Get drunk, watch people shoot at aliens.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

FairGame posted:

Was referring to getting that map for your opening Impossible game. There are certain maps I won't even bother playing and will just restart.

That map, the flooded street, and the cemetary with the crypt in the center are all virtually pointless attempts as openers. The trainyard isn't much better.

BurningStone posted:

My nemisis map is the graveyard bomb mission.

Rooftop cafe terror mission. It's not so bad later in the game when you can shred the building with rockets and cover the roof with an archangel sniper, but it's awful when it's the first terror mission.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm back and I'm sure you're all thinking,"Hey look it's that colossal gently caress up who lost seven countries in 5 months on N/I! How are you even still around?" Well I managed to get my remaining countries outfitted with satellites and down to minimal panic. After learning the glory of hover SHIVS and taking some heartbreaking losses I've made my way to having a soldier ready for the Gallop Chamber. So I have a few questions;

1. How many psionic troops should I have going in.

2. What's the ideal squad going in. I've done this once before but I save scummed the hell out of it.

3. What happens in the (insanely likely) event that I enormously gently caress up the last mission? Does the game just end?

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

FairGame posted:

This map is also notable due to the fact that I get the teleportation bug on it every single time. There hasn't been one exception so far. Whenever I get this map, I just hole everyone up in the high cover at the start and wait for the aliens to eventually materialize in front of me to at least reduce the chance of them teleporting in to a flanking position.

Also agreed that the flooded street is awful as a first mission.

Acquire Currency! posted:

3. What happens in the (insanely likely) event that I enormously gently caress up the last mission? Does the game just end?

For the last mission only (well, aside from the first mission), if you wipe they allow you to retry the mission, even on ironman.

Ideal squad depends on how you want to play. Snipers and heavies offer various ways of cheesing the final encounter, although that's true of their function during the rest of the game :)

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

animatorZed posted:

For the last mission only (well, aside from the first mission), if you wipe they allow you to retry the mission, even on ironman.

Ideal squad depends on how you want to play. Snipers and heavies offer various ways of cheesing the final encounter, although that's true of their function during the rest of the game :)
Wow that's a massive relief. I was worried hours of gameplay would be wasted down to one moment of :xcom: and a heaping dosage of 'gently caress you!'

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I just had a first mission of I/I where two of my rookies died, but one of the living rookies got all 8 kills. While not ideal, it was strangely satisfying.

edit: My luck was not to last, with the first abduction mission being a total wipe. drat you flooded street, I was doing so well and then you triggered 9 sectoids! 9! :xcom:

I really wish a unit could level up more than once in a single mission with enough XP.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 3, 2013

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

animatorZed posted:

I'm about to take this interesting crew into the temple ship. I took the screenshot less because of the composition (they just happen to be my six colonels) and more because of the nicknames.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Reminds me of a recent run where after the first four, the game decided to give me 6 straight heavies in a row. My only sniper managed to get injured near the end of the month where I needed to do the alien base mission to drop panic.

So I brought in a team of mostly heavies in carapace / skeleton and ballistics and proceeded to reduce the base to smoldering ash. I bet the good doctor had an aneurysm back at the headquarters.
It was actually oddly satisfying to be running a sniperless team for once, and its interesting how the game sometimes makes you work with weird class combinations.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, what's the name of the bug that won't open the door to the bridge room? Because it's happening to me.

EDIT: oh what fun a bug hunt.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 3, 2013

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

So, what's the name of the bug that won't open the door to the bridge room? Because it's happening to me.

It's called door won't open bug. :geno:

I don't know if you can but try shooting it with a rocket or grenade. If not restart.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brainamp posted:

It's called door won't open bug. :geno:

I don't know if you can but try shooting it with a rocket or grenade. If not restart.

How unbelievably frustrating. I was reading around and some people said that if there are aliens left alive or whatever the last door won't open. I'm now remembering the last two elites didn't spawn.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I'm hitting a major weapon fragment bottle neck this play through, got more money than I can use, full satellite coverage. Don't use explosives or capture all that much.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

How unbelievably frustrating. I was reading around and some people said that if there are aliens left alive or whatever the last door won't open. I'm now remembering the last two elites didn't spawn.

I had that problem in one of my games and eventually it turned out that due to some insane line-of-sight fuckery there was a Sectoid left over in one of the rooms at the very beginning. I found it, popped it, and immediately 4 Chrysalids dropped into the midst of my scattered team. :xcom:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Pocket Billiards posted:

I'm hitting a major weapon fragment bottle neck this play through, got more money than I can use, full satellite coverage. Don't use explosives or capture all that much.
More engineers will reduce use of resources. I would aim for 60 in month 3.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I'm back and I'm sure you're all thinking,"Hey look it's that colossal gently caress up who lost seven countries in 5 months on N/I! How are you even still around?" Well I managed to get my remaining countries outfitted with satellites and down to minimal panic. After learning the glory of hover SHIVS and taking some heartbreaking losses I've made my way to having a soldier ready for the Gallop Chamber. So I have a few questions;

1. How many psionic troops should I have going in.

2. What's the ideal squad going in. I've done this once before but I save scummed the hell out of it.

My crew composition is usually 2 assaults, 2 supports, 1 heavy, 1 sniper. The 2 assaults can shoot twice each, and with lightning reflexes can break 2 overwatches. The 2 supports let's you have one specialize in medicine and the other as fire support (suppression, the 2 reaction shots in overwatch) while still having the advanced range that supports gets. And the heavy for "when you need something to explode right the gently caress now." That and their HEAT ammo is invaluable against the cyberdisks and that other big robotic thing near the end. The sniper speaks for itself.

P.S. Give the fire support the arc thrower and the heavy suppression and you'll be able to capture any alien at will.

EDIT: Cyberdisks and chyrssalids cannot be captured, right?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Orgophlax posted:

EDIT: Cyberdisks and chyrssalids cannot be captured, right?

Correct, cyberdisks, sectopods, and chryssalids can't be captured. You can hack drones with the right upgrade, but I'm not sure why you'd want to.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
If you lose a country on your home continent do you lose the continent bonus or do you have that forever? I basically have a choice to lose Egypt or Russia and my home is in Nigeria and I'd like to keep a big money maker like Russia but if I lose All In then gently caress it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

If you lose a country on your home continent do you lose the continent bonus or do you have that forever? I basically have a choice to lose Egypt or Russia and my home is in Nigeria and I'd like to keep a big money maker like Russia but if I lose All In then gently caress it.

You always get your home bonus. If you choose Africa then you can lose Egypt and South Africa with no Problem.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Thanks man. gently caress Egypt it is! I was a scared baby to play anything above normal for so long because I can't stand losing countries/troops but man it really is such a better game on harder difficulties.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

darthbob88 posted:

Correct, cyberdisks, sectopods, and chryssalids can't be captured. You can hack drones with the right upgrade, but I'm not sure why you'd want to.

I hacked a drone in the last mission and used it to push forward ahead of my team. It didn't last long, but I enjoyed being able to push up faster for a bit.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I tried to exploit teleporting aliens to my advantage on the train map, because gently caress the train map normally. I got behind the full cover boards and proceeded to hunker down with all my units. Sure enough the aliens teleport to right in front of my marines. "This is it!" I thought, "Time to murder the poo poo out of aliens with minimal risk!" Only, uhhh, another bug popped up that left all my soldiers in permanent hunker-downed vision, which quickly led to my death. Using a bad bug for a good purpose only to be hit by another bad bug? :xcom:, apparently.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Does the 2x reaction fire ability for heavies work? I've seen heavies hit but not get the 2nd shot.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Captain Beans posted:

Does the 2x reaction fire ability for heavies work? I've seen heavies hit but not get the 2nd shot.

Heavies don't get a 2x reaction shot. They get 2 shots in 1 turn if you don't move as their first action.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Captain Beans posted:

You mean rapid reaction? It's a pretty finicky skill. Make sure you're heavy is on overwatch and that he is definitely the one that hit with that reaction shot. If you have multiple guys reaction to the same target it can get confusing.

I'm not aware of any issues with it so far though beyond it not being my preference to take.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Welp, my bad. I didn't realize heavies had that ability because it's terrible compared to HEAT ammo and have never taken it.

EDIT: But to answer Captain Beans' question: If it works like the support's double reaction shot skill, it works on 2 different enemies. They won't take a second shot at the same enemy that's still moving.

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 3, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
There was only one dude on overwatch as he was the last guy alive, he hit the crystallid for 4 as it ran towards him and I was expecting a second hit from that skill to kill the bug. Instead he only got the one shot and was eaten.

Maybe it only lets you get 2x shots on two different targets.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Orgophlax posted:

Welp, my bad. I didn't realize heavies had that ability because it's terrible compared to HEAT ammo and have never taken it.

EDIT: But to answer Captain Beans' question: If it works like the support's double reaction shot skill, it works on 2 different enemies. They won't take a second shot at the same enemy that's still moving.

I'm pretty sure that it's two shots on one target, not the two shots on separate things. Like I said its finicky and I haven't taken it on my guys since I found HEAT.

Edit: Yep, http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/Rapid_Reaction

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Brainamp posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's two shots on one target, not the two shots on separate things. Like I said its finicky and I haven't taken it on my guys since I found HEAT.

Edit: Yep, http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/Rapid_Reaction

That doesn't say anything about hitting the same target twice. If the unit stops, then moves again, it may fire twice then (which may be what that is implying, since chryssalids start and stop a lot). But I haven't seen that occur to know if that's the case.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Orgophlax posted:

That doesn't say anything about hitting the same target twice. If the unit stops, then moves again, it may fire twice then (which may be what that is implying, since chryssalids start and stop a lot). But I haven't seen that occur to know if that's the case.

No, it says if the first was a hit, then you get a second shot. It's two shots on the same target.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Brainamp posted:

No, it says if the first was a hit, then you get a second shot. It's two shots on the same target.

It doesn't say two shots on the same target, just two shots. The only time my support will fire twice is on 2 separate enemies. I highly doubt it's any different for heavies.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Rapid reactions should hit the same enemy twice, that was a bug.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prop Wash posted:

I had that problem in one of my games and eventually it turned out that due to some insane line-of-sight fuckery there was a Sectoid left over in one of the rooms at the very beginning. I found it, popped it, and immediately 4 Chrysalids dropped into the midst of my scattered team. :xcom:

I somehow walked around a mutton a room back and mind frayed him and tufted his jerk elite friends, too.
Time for the uber!
E: holy hell that was easy. Double tap sniper and a rocket right at the uber.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 3, 2013

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

I somehow walked around a mutton a room back and mind frayed him and tufted his jerk elite friends, too.
Time for the uber!
E: holy hell that was easy. Double tap sniper and a rocket right at the uber.

Just got my first win too, on classic. The difficulty curve feels like a straight downhill slope from the first terror mission to the final encounter.

I don't know if this is an optimal playstyle, but I ignored the story missions until I had full satellite coverage, plasma, and titan armor. I started in North America and followed the four-satellite first month guide, so I had Africa and Russia by the first report. I covered the rest of Europe in month two, the rest of the Americas in month three, and Asia in month four (by the time I got Asia, I'd already bought everything from the officer training school, but getting the South America bonus before I captured my first alien was nice). Once I finished the alien base, the whole world stayed at minimum panic for the rest of the game, except for when I ignored the terror mission that came up while the Gollop chamber was being built and India left.

Every time I got my first satellite on a continent, I made sure to buy three interceptors. Later, I wished I'd only bought two, since you apparently can't remove existing Ravens and replace them with Firestorms, but it didn't end up making any difference.

After finishing this game, my feeling is that the biggest step up in difficulty is when you move from mostly Earth environments pre-alien base to mostly alien ships afterwards. The alien ships don't have a lot of great high cover or sniper firing lanes, so it helps to have a few spare rockets for punching holes in walls and enough soldier abilities and plasma to reliably kill mutons and the robotic aliens the same turn you reveal them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

straw man posted:

Just got my first win too, on classic. The difficulty curve feels like a straight downhill slope from the first terror mission to the final encounter.

I don't know if this is an optimal playstyle, but I ignored the story missions until I had full satellite coverage, plasma, and titan armor. I started in North America and followed the four-satellite first month guide, so I had Africa and Russia by the first report. I covered the rest of Europe in month two, the rest of the Americas in month three, and Asia in month four (by the time I got Asia, I'd already bought everything from the officer training school, but getting the South America bonus before I captured my first alien was nice). Once I finished the alien base, the whole world stayed at minimum panic for the rest of the game, except for when I ignored the terror mission that came up while the Gollop chamber was being built and India left.

Every time I got my first satellite on a continent, I made sure to buy three interceptors. Later, I wished I'd only bought two, since you apparently can't remove existing Ravens and replace them with Firestorms, but it didn't end up making any difference.

After finishing this game, my feeling is that the biggest step up in difficulty is when you move from mostly Earth environments pre-alien base to mostly alien ships afterwards. The alien ships don't have a lot of great high cover or sniper firing lanes, so it helps to have a few spare rockets for punching holes in walls and enough soldier abilities and plasma to reliably kill mutons and the robotic aliens the same turn you reveal them.

Got a link to the four sats in month 1 guide?

• Locked thread