Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I hate playing 5-a-side when my team decides not to bother tracking back. Constantly being bombarded with 2 on 1's isn't my idea of fun.

(I'm a goalkeeper, btw)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Guitar_Hero posted:

In the 6-a-side I've played (as keeper a few times as well) the keeper can come out of his area (once he doesn't handle obviously) and most teams use him as a sweeper.

I was playing goalie and once lobbed the other teams keeper from my box, he was playing as a fancy dan sweeper and it felt real cool to do

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Guitar_Hero posted:

In the 6-a-side I've played (as keeper a few times as well) the keeper can come out of his area (once he doesn't handle obviously) and most teams use him as a sweeper.

I've only been allowed to do that in 1 league in my local area, it was more fun that way :(

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Lost 4-1 today (and expected to against this team) but still managed to get the assist for our goal. 'Twas off a free kick about a yard outside the area and a two yards from the goal line, I just looked for our big man (who at 6'5" was quite literally a full head above everyone else, a set piece dream) and curled it over/around the wall to his face. He mowed everyone down and stuck it in right inside the far post, beautiful execution.

Also learned an rear end in a top hat on the team is a racist piece of poo poo. Made a remark to a few of us about the ref, something about "You give [i]those people[/] any power and it goes straight to their head. Just like the president." But he prefaced it with, "Not to be racist, but...", so it was okay, right? Yeah, he won't be back. Total dickhead, and lied about his skill level to get on the team anyway; told the captain he was a div 2 player (we're div 3 right now, out of 4) but come to find out he's never played in his life. Like, EVER. Can't run, has no idea what any position does or where they play, can't trap, can't dribble, can't make a pass, the dude can't loving kick the drat ball. I just don't understand why someone would put themselves in that position, it'd be like me getting hired as a sous chef at a semi-nice restaurant, then showing up and having no idea how to hold a knife or turn on a stove.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Goal rates for 5 a side games are all over the place. Generally it feels like the scores end 9 or 10 apiece when the hour is up. Even if a team gets pumped its usually because they've not scored enough, rather than conceding well into the double digits. I've only ever played one match with with a 'realistic' outcome, ended 1-1 and it always sticks in my throat that the player on the other team who bagged the only goal had a more-than-deserved reputation for hitting shots sky-high and over the pitch walls.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ramagamma posted:

Goal rates for 5 a side games are all over the place. Generally it feels like the scores end 9 or 10 apiece when the hour is up. Even if a team gets pumped its usually because they've not scored enough, rather than conceding well into the double digits. I've only ever played one match with with a 'realistic' outcome, ended 1-1 and it always sticks in my throat that the player on the other team who bagged the only goal had a more-than-deserved reputation for hitting shots sky-high and over the pitch walls.

I dunno, these scores seem outlandish to me. I've played plenty of 5 a side matches that ended 1-1, 2-1, and the like. I'd say the double digit scorelines are the exception in the leagues I play in. You'll occasionally get a 5-4 or a 7-3 or the like but almost never both teams scoring into the double digits and rarely even one team getting there. The only time that usually happens is if one team totally outclasses another and you get a 12-1 or something like that but none of this goal every 2 minute thing I'm seeing in this thread.

To be honest I'd probably rather play in a 2-1 than a 15-12 or whatever.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Shrapnac posted:

I dunno, these scores seem outlandish to me. I've played plenty of 5 a side matches that ended 1-1, 2-1, and the like. I'd say the double digit scorelines are the exception in the leagues I play in. You'll occasionally get a 5-4 or a 7-3 or the like but almost never both teams scoring into the double digits and rarely even one team getting there. The only time that usually happens is if one team totally outclasses another and you get a 12-1 or something like that but none of this goal every 2 minute thing I'm seeing in this thread.

I agree, a 22-17 scoreline means that for 40 minutes of play (normal time for the leagues here) there's a goal nearly every minute. :psyduck: I can't imagine that being fun.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Yeah in the leagues I've played in most games were ending with both sides in the double digits. My side was an anomaly because like I said, noone wanted to play defense. Hell, when I said most teams played a 2-3 I probably should have said an 0-5. Tactics were non-existent, everybody is just set to run forward. I loved playing against that.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Shrapnac posted:

I've been playing in 6v6, 7v7, 8v8 and 11v11 leagues in Chicago since 2008 and my experience is the same as this. I don't understand how you could reach 22-17 at any skill level unless you're playing without keepers.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
In our work fives games we tend to have scores in the double digits. Very rarely do we have one side that has conceded fewer than 10 in an hr, and that's only when the 6'7" defender and fat goalkeeper are on the same side.

I want new boots for the black pellet stuff. What are you lot using? I remember Nike Mercurials were all the rage in here a while ago, but I can't bring myself to buy something with those colour schemes.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 4, 2013

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Chas McGill posted:

I want new boots for the black pellet stuff. What are you lot using?

Get Nike Mercurial Victories with turf rubber studs.

PreMoo
Sep 23, 2010
I play in a casual indoor 5/6 a side rec league. I've been playing about 3 months and we play about once a week. I'm not very good and I've never actually had any proper football training but it's still very fun and everyone is cool about it.

I usually play in the back since I just ran around and try to tackle people.

Is there any advice you guys have or training things I can do by myself to improve?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

PreMoo posted:

I play in a casual indoor 5/6 a side rec league. I've been playing about 3 months and we play about once a week. I'm not very good and I've never actually had any proper football training but it's still very fun and everyone is cool about it.

I usually play in the back since I just ran around and try to tackle people.

Is there any advice you guys have or training things I can do by myself to improve?

Try tackling the ball, not people.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Watch a ton of youtube tutorials how to pull off a rainbow flick. It's the most useful skill.

Seriously tho I would recommend learning a couple of simple dribbles, especially since you're playing indoor where you want to be able to create some space by beating your opponent.

This guy has a million videos and covers stuff like defensive headers, how to improve your shooting technique, ball manipulation exercises and stuff like that. Oh and keep practising.
http://www.youtube.com/user/STRskillSchool/

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I'd also somewhat recommend the simple and often overlooked "kick a ball against a wall a poo poo load" method. Put yourself a few yards away from a wall and pass it to yourself a lot, this will help your ability to quickly control a pass and quickly release a pass which is extra important in 5/6 a side due to the small pitch. You will obviously want to do the more advanced stuff that people recommend as well (especially that "tackling the ball, not the man" thing, I hear that's important) but as a nice warm up to other things kicking a ball against a wall can be shockingly useful.

PreMoo
Sep 23, 2010
Thanks for the tips.

I watch those STR school videos!

I'll definitely watch the ball more and practice kicking the ball against the wall. I used to practice kicking a ball against the wall a poo poo load earlier but stopped recently I'll get back into the habit.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Try tackling the ball, not people.

Clearly he thought this was the American football thread.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Chas McGill posted:

In our work fives games we tend to have scores in the double digits. Very rarely do we have one side that has conceded fewer than 10 in an hr, and that's only when the 6'7" defender and fat goalkeeper are on the same side.

I want new boots for the black pellet stuff. What are you lot using? I remember Nike Mercurials were all the rage in here a while ago, but I can't bring myself to buy something with those colour schemes.

Nike Mercurial Vapors are really good but make sure you go for the astro turf ones.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Around here everybody plays on field turf with regular firm ground boots, but that may be because we also play some matches on grass, and most people don't want to buy two pairs.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Messyass posted:

Around here everybody plays on field turf with regular firm ground boots, but that may be because we also play some matches on grass, and most people don't want to buy two pairs.

At least they are not using cleats, the possibility of stepping on somebody elses foot are much higher on a 5-a-side pitch and boy howdy do I love getting my foot crushed under some cleats.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

At least they are not using cleats, the possibility of stepping on somebody elses foot are much higher on a 5-a-side pitch and boy howdy do I love getting my foot crushed under some cleats.

Define cleats. Firm Ground boots are the ones with the molded studs which will hurt you if you get stepped on.

You're not allowed to wear Soft Ground boots on turf(metal studs) because they're longer and will tear up the substructure.

I wear Firm Ground boots on turf because even a little bit of moisture on that stuff and it become slippery as heck.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Shrapnac posted:

Define cleats. Firm Ground boots are the ones with the molded studs which will hurt you if you get stepped on.

You're not allowed to wear Soft Ground boots on turf(metal studs) because they're longer and will tear up the substructure.

I wear Firm Ground boots on turf because even a little bit of moisture on that stuff and it become slippery as heck.

Left ones are what I was calling cleats, right ones are ok on astro turf (but actually both are called cleats as I have just learned).

ephex fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 5, 2013

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Left ones are what I was calling cleats, right ones are ok on astro turf (but actually both are called cleats as I have just learned).

WTF, that pic was of a dude's hand choking a woman, but when I hit reply it was the boots. EDIT: It's back! WTF?

Anyhoo looks like the ones on the left are soft ground with screw-in studs. Here in the US nearly all sports shoes with molded or metal studs of whatever kind are called "cleats".

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

I've got these bad boys. Best boots I've ever had, except for my old Copas obviously.

Great on artificial grass in all sorts of conditions.

Scienide
Sep 29, 2006

Gunplay...
Argghh, just pulled all of the anterior ligaments in my ankle. It swelled up to the size of a tennis ball. I've got full (if stiff) motility in the foot but it's still quite sore. Anyone know how long typically this type of injury takes to recover from?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Ankle injuries can vary a lot. It really depends on severity, how active you are after the injury, and what you do for rehab. If you haven't already, just go see a doctor.

Studs and Blades. gently caress studs. Had someone break my toe using studs.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

At the biggest indoor facility in Chicago they don't even want you to wear FG blades, but they don't really enforce this unless they see studs. On the modern turf that's pretty much everywhere now (with the black rubber poo poo under), I've been fine with turf shoes.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Scienide posted:

Argghh, just pulled all of the anterior ligaments in my ankle. It swelled up to the size of a tennis ball. I've got full (if stiff) motility in the foot but it's still quite sore. Anyone know how long typically this type of injury takes to recover from?

tape it, cool it and put your foot on a place thats above your heart so the swelling can actually go back.

if its pulled, you can walk withouht cruches in 1-2 weeks, if theres something torn, 2-3 weeks.
no football for another month or two at least.

i recommend some diclofenac, great pain remedy and it fights the inflammation in your ankle.

Scienide
Sep 29, 2006

Gunplay...

Vinestalk posted:

Ankle injuries can vary a lot. It really depends on severity, how active you are after the injury, and what you do for rehab. If you haven't already, just go see a doctor.

tape it, cool it and put your foot on a place thats above your heart so the swelling can actually go back.

if its pulled, you can walk withouht cruches in 1-2 weeks, if theres something torn, 2-3 weeks.
no football for another month or two at least.

i recommend some diclofenac, great pain remedy and it fights the inflammation in your ankle.

Cheers, pretty sure its not too severe as the swelling may have started going down already. Have taken Ibuprofen and topical ibuprofen gel as well. Doesn't hurt to stand on it, just stiff and sore.

Pissed off, I was having a good game before this injury. Oh well, back to playing in a month or so I guess...

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

euroboy posted:

I've got these bad boys. Best boots I've ever had, except for my old Copas obviously.

Great on artificial grass in all sorts of conditions.
I'd like those but we're only allowed the tiny wee rubber studs rather than proper firm ground ones.

Tempted by the black and lime Mercurials, but 60 quid seems steep when my Tiempo IIIs were like 30.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

I'd like those but we're only allowed the tiny wee rubber studs rather than proper firm ground ones.

Tempted by the black and lime Mercurials, but 60 quid seems steep when my Tiempo IIIs were like 30.

You said quid so probably live in the UK. Long story short get your arse down to Sports Direct.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Chas McGill posted:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-mercurial-glide-ii-mens-astro-turf-trainers-269155

http://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-mercurial-glide-iii-mens-astro-turf-trainers-261098

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Hallowed Turban posted:

You said quid so probably live in the UK. Long story short get your arse down to Sports Direct.
Yeah I am in the UK but my laptop is US. I hate going to Sports Direct in my town because there's a really weird atmosphere in there. It's true that there are good deals to be had though. I got my trusty sondico shorts there for about 2 quid.

Saw those when I was browsing earlier - need a size 9. Thanks for the links though.

Edit: Check out this balanced review.

Gervinho Fan posted:

It’s no surprise to see Ivory Coast and Arsenal star Gervinho wearing them week-in, week out. His pace is enhanced by Nike’s superb creation which is also worn by the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar.

So what are you waiting for? If the best footballers think they’re the best football boots, they must be worth wearing!

Read more: http://goonertalk.com/2012/05/02/nike-mercurial-glide-iii-mens-astro-turf-trainers-review/#ixzz2Mgsn5D00

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 5, 2013

Scienide
Sep 29, 2006

Gunplay...
After a quite painful night, I got hold of some Voltarol for the diclofenac and some Deep Freeze ice pads and my ankle is feeling much better. Thanks for the advice!

As an aside, I'm a male in their mid-thirties with two kids I'd been hoping to play football well so I picked up the DVD Learn to Play the Brazilian Way. Even for an older player, I've got to say it was superb! Joining in with my daughter doing Ronaldo's was fun, even pulled a couple of moves off on the 8-a side!

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
How much experience do you guys have with boots for artificial turf (the short stuff with the black pellets)? I'm trying to avoid ruining my Copas on the stuff and I'm generally seeing these two types of soleplates marketed as for artificial surfaces:

I have sort of a budget pair with the little nubs, but a) they're not that great and b) they're a little too brightly colored to use for refereeing in. Does anyone have any strong opinions either way, or some insight into the differences?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Forgot this thread existed. Does anyone want a kickabout some time. I'm in North London and want to join a team.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Lamont Cranston posted:

How much experience do you guys have with boots for artificial turf (the short stuff with the black pellets)? I'm trying to avoid ruining my Copas on the stuff and I'm generally seeing these two types of soleplates marketed as for artificial surfaces:

I have sort of a budget pair with the little nubs, but a) they're not that great and b) they're a little too brightly colored to use for refereeing in. Does anyone have any strong opinions either way, or some insight into the differences?

Get shoes with a sole that resembles the right ones in the picture you posted, since those are the closest to soles of the Nike Mercurial II for Astro Turf, aka The Best Astro Turf Trainers 5eva.

But preferably get Nike Mercurials II for Astro Turf.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

I've got some of these, they're really good. They'll give you the manouevrability you need as a referee.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
As someone who owns a pair of the aforementioned Nike Mercurials II for Astro Turf, let me tell you that you need to buy them roughly one size bigger than your usual size.
I usually wear 9½s, but here I prefer the 10½s, because the Nike Mercurials II for Astro Turf tends to be a bit slim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

My feet are narrow and long so I don't have the same problem but I guess the best advice is to try them before you buy them. Do you live in the UK Cranston? I'd pop into Sports Direct, safe bet for a good price.