Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Shadow Hearts and Covenant are flat out the best 2 RPGs on the PS2. The graphics on the first one are definitely lacking, but the story and world design are simply amazing. I found the gameplay to be pretty fun, that being said it is very punishing, but I personally never had a problem with it. Although the graphics are way better in Covenant, the changes to the combat system, even if they made the gameplay smoother, combined to the changes in the world design took away the charm of Shadow Hearts in my opinion. The original really had a dark and gritty feel to it, and things like the sanity management, the slow progression of the characters, the graveyard, and the power of certain enemies simply makes the game. A god truly feels like a god in that game. In Covenant the combat is way more refined, but it's just too easy to mop up enemies. The changes to the world make it a double whammy. The only time it really captured the feel of the original was when Gepetto did the quest to get the final dress for the doll. Overall though, I think that one is just as good as the other.

I never played From the New World, but I heard it sucked. I personally thought Halley from Shadow Hearts should have been the main character.

Banner Saga is ok. I got the beta a week or two ago. Overall I thought it was way to simple. Maybe I just picked it up too quickly because I would say that in like the 25 games that I played, I went through about 5 different phases of how I viewed the game. However, the more I progressed the more I saw the limitations of the combat system. I think the best comparison would be to FF Tactics, and Tactics had more mechanics, classes, customization, and map variety. Honestly I don't think you could compare Banner Saga to any kind of similar game without saying it's a step back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Not very far into Front Mission 5, but I gotta say, this is almost everything I've ever wanted in a SRPG. Every time a new gameplay mechanic is introduced, I'm stunned that the game has become better than I thought could have been possible.

also it is so cool watching a mech swerve around a building and unload a shotgun into another mech.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I've got a few more Last Remnant Questions.

Occasionally I get rewards or find items that say “you have unlocked a special named version of an existing formation”, but I can see no way to actually use that new named version.

If I am searching for a specific monster drop, does linking two or more of the same monster group improve the odds of item drops or captured monsters? What if I link 1 monster group with an unrelated monster group, would that affect the drop chances?

If I repeatedly tell a party member “no, I’m not getting that for you”, will they get the hint and stop asking? Because there’s no way I’m paying like 20,000 gold to upgrade weapons just to take them apart for a single piece of Imperium. (Who the hell thought it was a good idea to have that as part of the customization requests?)

I’ve got a guy with the Poison V Hex, and another one with Poison III. Assuming that both status’s land, does the poison damage stack, or should I disable the Poison III?

I’m not sure which accessory is better: The Charm of Gliding, +15% AP (Init and Max) charm or the Heels of Victory (Speed +3%, AP+1 Charge on Termination)? I'd make another Charm of Gliding, but it requires Charm Recipe 3, whicht apparently only exists once in the entire game and I must have already used it. (Seriously, why do you get all those options to upgrade and create stuff when you get only one of a recipe in the game?)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 5, 2013

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

O__O posted:

I thought there was a Banner Saga thread but I couldn't find it, so I'll ask here: anyone else tried it? They released a free multiplayer beta and I'm now really looking forward to the single player game. Really like the art style.

http://stoicstudio.com/forum/the-banner-saga-factions.php

I played it a lot over the weekend and had a lot of fun. The opening cinematic is really pretty and got me super excited for the the single player game whenever it comes out. The combat and team building is also fun. I'd say right now the game is imbalanced in favor of heavy melee teams but since the game is so new everyone is experimenting with all sorts of weird teams so you can win pretty easily if you just stick to a solid team composition.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Someone tell me about Disgaea. I'm in the mood for a SRPG, but I've played all the FFT mods and LUCT. I've stayed away from Disgaea up until now mostly because it seems extremely anime and also I've heard its very grindy. But after checking out a video of an early battle I'm now thinking that I might be able to look past those points since the battle system seems very fun (you can apparently pick up and throw party members across the field... amazing). My questions are: which one should I get assuming I'm only going to play one (I've heard they're really long so) and is there any reason not to get the PSN version (like emulator problems)?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

a) Play the first one first, it's good by itself and it will tell you if you care to play the others.

b) Like most RPGs, it's grindy if you want to complete all of the optional objectives, but the main story can be completed with zero grinding.

c) The geo panel system and throwing people around and setting up combos are all tons of fun. I usually don't care for too much anime in my RPGs either but the game made me laugh enough to look past it.

vv don't listen to this guy

Dross fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 5, 2013

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

To be honest I would hesitate to even say that disgaea is a strategy rpg because there is little to no strategy involved. it's almost entirely about leveling up your weapons and shields and hats and getting to level 9000 and dealing nine hundred billion points of damage to artificial intelligence monsters.

I know this is not what you are asking for, but I feel that it is my god given duty to warn you to stay far away from that series and play Front Mission 5 instead because it's the most fun I have had with a SRPG in a long time.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Occasionally I get rewards or find items that say “you have unlocked a special named version of an existing formation”, but I can see no way to actually use that new named version.

Sometimes you'll get upgrades for formations you don't have yet. You have to find the base version first.

If I am searching for a specific monster drop, does linking two or more of the same monster group improve the odds of item drops or captured monsters? What if I link 1 monster group with an unrelated monster group, would that affect the drop chances?

I think linking increases item drops, but I'm not 100% on that. You should be linking anyways just for the better gains.

If I repeatedly tell a party member “no, I’m not getting that for you”, will they get the hint and stop asking? Because there’s no way I’m paying like 20,000 gold to upgrade weapons just to take them apart for a single piece of Imperium. (Who the hell thought it was a good idea to have that as part of the customization requests?)

When they ask you for something, it's the last piece they need for an upgrade. I think the yes/no option is just to make you feel guilty for denying them. :v: When they ask you what to focus on, that actually determines the (predetermined) gearset they'll work on from that point.

I’ve got a guy with the Poison V Hex, and another one with Poison III. Assuming that both status’s land, does the poison damage stack, or should I disable the Poison III?

The status itself doesn't stack, but he'll still do damage. Plus, using it increases his chance of learning a new hex or going to the next level of Poison. Railing an enemy union with multiple hits of the same status is the best way to make sure it sticks.

I’m not sure which accessory is better: The Charm of Gliding, +15% AP (Init and Max) charm or the Heels of Victory (Speed +3%, AP+1 Charge on Termination)? I'd make another Charm of Gliding, but it requires Charm Recipe 3, whicht apparently only exists once in the entire game and I must have already used it. (Seriously, why do you get all those options to upgrade and create stuff when you get only one of a recipe in the game?)

That 15%AP charm is better, because you'll get that much more to start each fight with. You don't want to play around with speed unless you take your whole union into account, or you'll throw the turn order you're used to (and plan around) out of whack.

NG+ lets you carry over components, so you can eventually make every recipe that involves a one-time item if you didn't use it. That's why it's a good idea to stockpile a bunch of useful components before finishing the game. Then you can immediately make seriously overpowered gear right away.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

You access them the same way you access the levels 2 and 3 of regular formations, you need a specific number of leaders with certain attributes in the formation. They're essentially just levels 4, 5 and 6 for another basic formation. Of course, the only way to know what those attributes are is to consult a guide (a recurring theme in this game).

quote:

The drop you get from a monster is determined the instant the monster dies, based on how many monsters you've killed previously in the battle. You can see the exact numbers and a long winded explanation of drops here but the short of it is, if you want to get a certain drop from a monster, link as many other monsters as you can in the same battle and kill the enemy you want a drop from last (or at least as late as possible). Having more of the same kind of monster in the battle helps in giving you more chances to get the drop you want but only the number of monsters killed matters for the increased odds.

quote:

Honestly I don't know what these requests do. They don't seem to take it from the inventory if you have one, it doesn't seem to matter if you agree or not, I have no idea what the point is supposed to be.

quote:

The Poison status effect does a fixed percentage damage regardless of the source, so it doesn't matter if it comes from Poison V or Poison III. The attack itself does damage and it's one more chance to inflict poison so there's no disadvantage to having it cast multiple times.

quote:

I’m not sure which accessory is better: The Charm of Gliding, +15% AP (Init and Max) charm or the Heels of Victory (Speed +3%, AP+1 Charge on Termination)? I'd make another Charm of Gliding, but it requires Charm Recipe 3, which apparently only exists once in the entire game and I must have already used it. (Seriously, why do you get all those dumb options to upgrade and create stuff when you get only one of a recipe in the game?)

The name is a bit misleading, it's really just a component like any other, and fortunately the Recipes can only be used for one thing each, so you haven't wasted anything. I don't really know which is better for you but if you want more Charms of Gliding, they can drop from a respawnable rare bandit in Mojcado Castle or buy them from a shop in Nagapur.

e:fb SpazmasterX says much the same thing as me up there just with different words.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Thanks, that's all really helpful information, especially the "more monsters = better drops, regardless of monster type" and "kill what you want to drop last".

Oh, I think I now know what the "more powerful version of existing formation" thing is, it must give higher ATK/DEF/MAG/MDEF numbers, and the upgrades are applied automatically, thanks.

The thing that bothers me about the limited formulas is that you apparently can't make more of another item. This could be a problem if I'd made the mistake of listening to one of Pagus's insistent requests to borrow my "Charm of Gliding" because I wasn't wearing it. I've seen that bandit once in that castle and he dropped 14K gold, so I've been looking for him for a while. It's still not as irritating as being told a party member needs an item that only appears from disassembling items I have no idea where to even find (Imperium). I've had to print off a list of what disassembles into it because even alt-tabbing back and forth is too annoying.

(For fun, I tried to see what would happen if I tried to link a ton of landworms in the "Wisdom's Echo" quest in Aveclyff. I learned that if you ended up fighting more than 26 unions in one battle, it wraps back around to "A", instead of going "AA", "AB"... I probably should have reloaded to before taking the quest, selling all the components they drop beforehand, do the quest and filling back up to 100 again.)

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Thanks, that's all really helpful information, especially the "more monsters = better drops, regardless of monster type" and "kill what you want to drop last".

Oh, I think I now know what the "more powerful version of existing formation" thing is, it must give higher ATK/DEF/MAG/MDEF numbers, and the upgrades are applied automatically, thanks.

The thing that bothers me about the limited formulas is that you apparently can't make more of another item. This could be a problem if I'd made the mistake of listening to one of Pagus's insistent requests to borrow my "Charm of Gliding" because I wasn't wearing it. I've seen that bandit once in that castle and he dropped 14K gold, so I've been looking for him for a while. It's still not as irritating as being told a party member needs an item that only appears from disassembling items I have no idea where to even find (Imperium). I've had to print off a list of what disassembles into it because even alt-tabbing back and forth is too annoying.

(For fun, I tried to see what would happen if I tried to link a ton of landworms in the "Wisdom's Echo" quest in Aveclyff. I learned that if you ended up fighting more than 26 unions in one battle, it wraps back around to "A", instead of going "AA", "AB"... I probably should have reloaded to before taking the quest, selling all the components they drop beforehand, do the quest and filling back up to 100 again.)

Imperium isn't really that bad because everyone that needs one will clone the item when you disassemble something to get it and the quantity you need is generally just 1-2. So just make sure that everyone is at that step before you start doing it. If nothing else, eventually you can just buy certain equipment in Athlum that you can disassemble for 2 at a time.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

voltron lion force posted:

Someone tell me about Disgaea. I'm in the mood for a SRPG, but I've played all the FFT mods and LUCT. I've stayed away from Disgaea up until now mostly because it seems extremely anime and also I've heard its very grindy. But after checking out a video of an early battle I'm now thinking that I might be able to look past those points since the battle system seems very fun (you can apparently pick up and throw party members across the field... amazing). My questions are: which one should I get assuming I'm only going to play one (I've heard they're really long so) and is there any reason not to get the PSN version (like emulator problems)?

I don't remember much about the details of the mechanics (other than you can make your numbers really really big) but the first one has a great sense of humor and even though it is anime it pokes fun at itself and anime cliches constantly. If you like that sort of self aware humor you'll probably enjoy playing the game. I haven't played any of the other ones.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Disgaea is extremely anime. But if you can look past it, you may see that such a thing isn't always necessarily a bad thing. The game mechanics are pretty much as whimsical as the story and characters are. It makes for a really bizarre package. I found it to be a pretty fun game. You don't have to do much grinding to complete the story, but I will say there probably isn't as much depth to the combat as there is in LUCT. It's still pretty fun though and worth a shot if you want to play a different kind of SRPG. One whose mechanics are meant to be abused and broken by the player by design. It's fun trying to find new ways to take the systems given to you and exploit them in creative ways.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I would recommend only sticking with the first Disgaea though, because it's got two things going for it the others don't:

a) Localization was by Atlus, not NIS (trust me, this makes a difference, the latter were way more willing to openly go creepy places)
b) The series hadn't crawled up its own rear end at that point (arguably, this works on Disgaea 2 as well)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I would recommend only sticking with the first Disgaea though, because it's got two things going for it the others don't:

a) Localization was by Atlus, not NIS (trust me, this makes a difference, the latter were way more willing to openly go creepy places)
b) The series hadn't crawled up its own rear end at that point (arguably, this works on Disgaea 2 as well)

I would disagree. In fact, the only one I'd suggest skipping is 2 (I can't explain why I didn't like 2, really, I just didn't) and I'd strongly recommend playing 4, which is in my opinion the best in the series overall, not just mechanically.

Playing Disgaea 1 is a good idea, though; they're currently developing a direct sequel to it (Disgaea as a series has largely- but not completely- disconnected storylines.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I cannot speak to 4, I washed my hands of them by that point. I just know that as they went on there was a lot less effort put into them (holy poo poo Disgaea 3) and a lot more moments that made me feel very, very skeezy. And I'm not exactly the first in line to the "kill all animes" party.

Also the few details I've heard about D2 (the direct sequel) make it sound like it's going down that pandering road once again.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I cannot speak to 4, I washed my hands of them by that point. I just know that as they went on there was a lot less effort put into them (holy poo poo Disgaea 3) and a lot more moments that made me feel very, very skeezy. And I'm not exactly the first in line to the "kill all animes" party.

Also the few details I've heard about D2 (the direct sequel) make it sound like it's going down that pandering road once again.

Most people in the Disgaea thread do agree that Disgaea 3's story isn't particularly good, yeah. It's mostly worth playing right now because the mechanics are pretty good (and it's on the Vita, now, which is a good place for that series.)

I can't speak to Disgaea D2's story because we know very little about it at this point, but it looks like an absolute blast to play.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

I would disagree. In fact, the only one I'd suggest skipping is 2

See, I'm the opposite. I think 2 is probably my favorite game in the series, at least with regards to characters and plot. I loved everyone in that game, and it's probably the one I've put the most amount of time into. 4 is also great, because it has a really good cast, even if its story isn't my kinda thing, and it's definitely the best mechanically. 1 and 3 are my least favorites, because I think I only have one or two characters between them who I really liked, and the rest were either annoying or just plain awful.

Where are these gameplay videos of Disgaea D2 though? I haven't seen any.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

S-Alpha posted:

See, I'm the opposite. I think 2 is probably my favorite game in the series, at least with regards to characters and plot. I loved everyone in that game, and it's probably the one I've put the most amount of time into. 4 is also great, because it has a really good cast, even if its story isn't my kinda thing, and it's definitely the best mechanically. 1 and 3 are my least favorites, because I think I only have one or two characters between them who I really liked, and the rest were either annoying or just plain awful.

Where are these gameplay videos of Disgaea D2 though? I haven't seen any.

There was just the one trailer for it that someone posted in the Disgaea thread.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

voltron lion force posted:

What was it that appealed to you most about FFT and LUCT?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

King of Solomon posted:

Most people in the Disgaea thread do agree that Disgaea 3's story isn't particularly good, yeah. It's mostly worth playing right now because the mechanics are pretty good (and it's on the Vita, now, which is a good place for that series.)

The Vita version is also free starting later this month for PS+ subscribers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing to understand about Disgaea is that it is a game about breaking the mechanics.

Finishing the fights isn't hard. Figuring out the most interesting and effective way to break the mechanics to finish the fights is the interesting part. The tactical aspects just play into that because you can use the mechanics in fun ways to trivialize enemies earlier than expect. There are also so many ways to break the game (and increasingly more with each successive game) that if you enjoy breaking games and figuring out how to break games then it's a playground.

If you just want a SRPG though it's pretty basic and boring. It is a game made for people who enjoy breaking games and toying with mechanics.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Thanks all for the recommendations, I picked up Hour of Darkness earlier as a result. Only an hour or so in but I see what ya'll mean about the humor. I have to admit its pretty endearing.

Bongo Bill posted:

What was it that appealed to you most about FFT and LUCT?

Playing with my fantasy chess pieces of course! No but I really do love the battle systems and party building in those games, although the solid stories don't hurt when it comes to keeping me interested. Disgaea seems like it has plenty of the former and maybe even a little of the latter too depending on how long until these anime antics wear thin.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
A lot of people, as you can see here, always say that Disgaea 1 is the best plotwise, but I totally disagree with that. The plot is very cluttered, only four or so of the chapters actually have anything to do with the actual plot, the rest just being filler. Not bad filler for the most part, but still filler that doesn't really move the story along in any way. This is noticeably better in later games, not completely gone mind, but a much better ratio of total chapters to relevant chapters.

In terms of characters, yeah, D1 has a pretty good cast (especially compared to D3!), but D2's honestly isn't bad either and in my opinion D4's even wins over D1 because Valvatorez is fantastic, thanks in part to Troy Baker's performance.

And gameplay wise each game just improves upon the previous game (or release, rather; D3Vita gets improvements from D4, D2PSP gets improvements from D3, etc.), there shouldn't even be any questions there. *

D1 PS2 has aged really badly too, especially once you're used to the improvements from later games/releases. No ability to fast-forward or skip animations, no ability to skip cutscenes except for those that explicitly occur at the start of a map (and not even those if you start the map without hitting the "skip scene" button before you even know if there's a scene!), the dark assembly is a slog due to the demon rank system or whatever it's called, stuff like that.

* D4's post-postgame (that is, once you're done with the postgame "plot") is worse than D3 in terms of how long it takes to get poo poo done, but before you reach that point D4 is better than D3.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
EDIT: Fight beaten, thanks for the tips.

Well I've reached the Lob Omen boss in Last Remnant. (Probably one of the last fights on Disc 1, if not the last)

I am BR 39. gently caress that fight. There are two bosses that can do about 2000+ damage each, so I definitely have to keep my party as 3 groups of 5 to try and limit getting 1-shot killed. The loving things just keep on teaming up to kill a union, then moving on to another kill another one. I can't bring back anyone because I just get intercepted repeatedly. I can't go for the weak units on the sides because I get intercepted by the bosses, and I can't try and team all of my unions on the smaller boss because they'll get intercepted by the small guys.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 7, 2013

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

A lot of people, as you can see here, always say that Disgaea 1 is the best plotwise, but I totally disagree with that. The plot is very cluttered, only four or so of the chapters actually have anything to do with the actual plot, the rest just being filler. Not bad filler for the most part, but still filler that doesn't really move the story along in any way. This is noticeably better in later games, not completely gone mind, but a much better ratio of total chapters to relevant chapters.

In terms of characters, yeah, D1 has a pretty good cast (especially compared to D3!), but D2's honestly isn't bad either and in my opinion D4's even wins over D1 because Valvatorez is fantastic, thanks in part to Troy Baker's performance.

And gameplay wise each game just improves upon the previous game (or release, rather; D3Vita gets improvements from D4, D2PSP gets improvements from D3, etc.), there shouldn't even be any questions there. *

Aside from your opinion about D2 (which again, I didn't like for some reason; maybe the tone wasn't what I wanted at the time, I don't know, it really has been a while), I basically completely agree with this.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Well I've reached the Lob Omen boss in Last Remnant. (Probably one of the last fights on Disc 1, if not the last)

I am BR 39. gently caress that fight. There are two bosses that can do about 2000+ damage each, so I definitely have to keep my party as 3 groups of 5 to try and limit getting 1-shot killed. The loving things just keep on teaming up to kill a union, then moving on to another kill another one. I can't bring back anyone because I just get intercepted repeatedly. I can't go for the weak units on the sides because I get intercepted by the bosses, and I can't try and team all of my unions on the smaller boss because they'll get intercepted by the small guys.

It's the last Disc 1 fight and it's utter loving bullshit, so you have my sympathies. You're just gonna have to get lucky on this one and hope you don't get intercepted in the first rounds. Here's a couple tips to help.

-Lob Omen itself loves to break deadlock, so save it for last when you can focus on it.
-Throw your heartiest union at the other boss and do nothing but heal. That will keep him deadlocked
-Pray you can summon Cyclops on the first turn. Enemy unions despise summons and like to focus on them instead of you
-I hope you have Blackout and can get the AP you need by the second turn, because it will make your life a lot easier. Defend or only use physical attacks with the union that can use it and hope you get a command that will cause Blackout on the next turn. BREAK DEADLOCK IF YOU HAVE TO! One Blackout should wipe out the grunt unions and keep you from worrying about a bad raidlock retaliation. If you got to summon Cyclops, this should be an easier task. Continue using Blackout if you can, as it will still do massive damage to the bosses. Even moreso if you can maneuver that union into a flank attack.
-If you don't have Blackout, I hope you at least have the Caustic Blast invocation. If your leader has Caustic Blast II, you can cause Blackout if he's the first to act in your union and at least two other members have an invocation queued up. It's not guaranteed to be used though. but the more people with invocations queued, the better.

But most of all it's just luck, luck, and more luck. Try to keep your morale high to trigger unique arts if you can.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

SpazmasterX posted:

It's the last Disc 1 fight and it's utter loving bullshit, so you have my sympathies. You're just gonna have to get lucky on this one and hope you don't get intercepted in the first rounds. Here's a couple tips to help.

-Lob Omen itself loves to break deadlock, so save it for last when you can focus on it.
-Throw your heartiest union at the other boss and do nothing but heal. That will keep him deadlocked
-Pray you can summon Cyclops on the first turn. Enemy unions despise summons and like to focus on them instead of you
-I hope you have Blackout and can get the AP you need by the second turn, because it will make your life a lot easier. Defend or only use physical attacks with the union that can use it and hope you get a command that will cause Blackout on the next turn. BREAK DEADLOCK IF YOU HAVE TO! One Blackout should wipe out the grunt unions and keep you from worrying about a bad raidlock retaliation. If you got to summon Cyclops, this should be an easier task. Continue using Blackout if you can, as it will still do massive damage to the bosses. Even moreso if you can maneuver that union into a flank attack.
-If you don't have Blackout, I hope you at least have the Caustic Blast invocation. If your leader has Caustic Blast II, you can cause Blackout if he's the first to act in your union and at least two other members have an invocation queued up. It's not guaranteed to be used though. but the more people with invocations queued, the better.

But most of all it's just luck, luck, and more luck. Try to keep your morale high to trigger unique arts if you can.

Keep trying until I get lucky, eh? I was afraid of that. Oh well, at least there's a bright side: Lord David has both Blackout and Caustic Blast II, and another member of David's union also has Caustic blast. Trying to keep morale high might be hard as the first thing the small boss does is cast something that turns the morale gauge red.

EDIT: Luck was on my side. I didn't get any options to Summon Cyclops or use Blackout, but my unions all made it to the unions I directed them to instead of getting intercepted. Not diluting them like I did on my third and fourth attempts meant they had enough HP to not get one-shotted, and they were fast enough to move first and heal before they could be finished off. They stayed standing. Strangely enough, not a single union died on this attempt. Yay.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 6, 2013

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Keep trying until I get lucky, eh? I was afraid of that. Oh well, at least there's a bright side: Lord David has both Blackout and Caustic Blast II, and another member of David's union also has Caustic blast. Trying to keep morale high might be hard as the first thing the small boss does is cast something that turns the morale gauge red.

Try to use psionics and hex to keep morale up. Dave can also use Gaebolg when he's not deadlocked. Try disabling some lower level spells, having an entire party of people who can only cast the spells that trigger Blackout can help you cast it more often.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I am BR 39. gently caress that fight. There are two bosses that can do about 2000+ damage each, so I definitely have to keep my party as 3 groups of 5 to try and limit getting 1-shot killed.

Just want to mention that I thought this would be the case too, but in that fight I found my overall survivability went way up the more groups I used. Don't be afraid to really mess around with your union formations a lot and just see what kinds of different results you can get. Oh and try sticking Scouts as your union leaders too, as they give you massively higher odds of getting heal commands. If you haven't learned all the weirdities about delayed healing, safe deadlock breaking, and that other crap yet, it's a good fight to learn it in.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I beat the boss fight, thanks to good turn orders letting me heal, and no unwelcome interceptions. Lob Omen kept chasing my units and I actually got to Raidlock IT a few times

Nighteyedie posted:

Try to use psionics and hex to keep morale up. Dave can also use Gaebolg when he's not deadlocked. Try disabling some lower level spells, having an entire party of people who can only cast the spells that trigger Blackout can help you cast it more often.

I haven't yet seen any Psionics spells at all on recruitable characters, or any positive effect Hexes. That's a good suggestion for how to help make Blackouts trigger more often, I'll use it.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Just want to mention that I thought this would be the case too, but in that fight I found my overall survivability went way up the more groups I used. Don't be afraid to really mess around with your union formations a lot and just see what kinds of different results you can get. Oh and try sticking Scouts as your union leaders too, as they give you massively higher odds of getting heal commands. If you haven't learned all the weirdities about delayed healing, safe deadlock breaking, and that other crap yet, it's a good fight to learn it in.

It must have been the way you arranged your units. When I tried a Fighter-Mystic-Fighter-Figher/Healer group, I got crushed. Even in the fight just now, where I won without dying once, I had many near-deaths which left me below the threshold of survivability if I had transferred anyone to another union.

Both Rush and Bloctor are Scouts.

Related, when a formation says "Good against [Avian Fiends]", does it actually provide a noticeable benefit compared to a formation which may offer higher attack/defense on paper, or is that just flavour text?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Well, my guys DID die a lot, I could just revive them at the same rate they were getting killed, so I eventually just won by attrition. More unions also really helps when you're down to just the bosses left since you get more flanks, and it's also much better against AOE attacks of course.

Related, when a formation says "Good against [Avian Fiends]", does it actually provide a noticeable benefit compared to a formation which may offer higher attack/defense on paper, or is that just flavour text?

It gives a small % damage bonus. It's like 10% at Level 3 I think, so not that significant, but maybe helpful in tough fights.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Nighteyedie posted:

David can only use Gae Bolg in large fields. :eng101: Otherwise he only gets Ex Machina.

I haven't yet seen any Psionics spells at all on recruitable characters, or any positive effect Hexes. That's a good suggestion for how to help make Blackouts trigger more often, I'll use it.

You really don't get Psionics until Disc 2, and there's no positive Hexes. Psionics aren't as much for doing damage as they are for greatly increasing morale, which in turn raises your army's overall damage and lowers the enemy's. Extremely handy in bossfights, and the synergy for Psionics is the second strongest in the game.

Disc 2 protip: I believe the very first area you go to is Fornstrand. After you finished that area (which, by the way, will probably be difficult so go slow and don't link if you can), you can pick up a quest called "The Fated One" if you finished "Wisdom's Echo". If you finish that quest (difficult just because of the pain in the rear end area it's in), Emmy gets a useful unique art and, more importanly, you get access to a new guild in Athlum where you can recruit --Jager--. You should immediately make him the leader of a physical union, as his unique arts are so obscenely powerful that they'll usually oneshot anything but a boss. Plus, he's the third and final character that gets a summon. He'll initially only have 2-handed skills, but he'll eventually get Psionics and can use a remnant weapon you can acquire Schiavona to great effect.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

SpazmasterX posted:

David can only use Gae Bolg in large fields. :eng101: Otherwise he only gets Ex Machina.

You really don't get Psionics until Disc 2, and there's no positive Hexes.

Psionics aren't as much for doing damage as they are for greatly increasing morale, which in turn raises your army's overall damage and lowers the enemy's. Extremely handy in bossfights, and the synergy for Psionics is the second strongest in the game.

Right, which made the other guy's suggestion to use that to help with the final Disc 1 fight silly.

quote:

Disc 2 protip: I believe the very first area you go to is Fornstrand. After you finished that area (which, by the way, will probably be difficult so go slow and don't link if you can), you can pick up a quest called "The Fated One" if you finished "Wisdom's Echo". If you finish that quest (difficult just because of the pain in the rear end area it's in), Emmy gets a useful unique art and, more importanly, you get access to a new guild in Athlum where you can recruit --Jager--. You should immediately make him the leader of a physical union, as his unique arts are so obscenely powerful that they'll usually oneshot anything but a boss. Plus, he's the third and final character that gets a summon. He'll initially only have 2-handed skills, but he'll eventually get Psionics and can use a remnant weapon you can acquire Schiavona to great effect.

Does a unit have to be the leader of a union to use a unique art? Because I MAY be finding myself a little short on open leadership spots, now that Emmy has hers. (And since Irina joins the party, and I've got the feeling that she'll end up getting one as well.)

I made the slight mistake of doing a "return to Marshallville" quest before going to the castle (where I WOULD have gotten my final upgrade to 18 battle units), and in the mines I found a unique Dragon (Goku), which took between 30-40 rounds to kill me. (Splitting up into 4 units just lowered my HP enough so that it could one-shot them.)

Re: the new recruit - Seriously? That rear end in a top hat? What the hell. He showed up like once/twice in Blackdale, vanishes completely until the final boss fight of Disc 1, where he was a HUGE rear end in a top hat, and out of nowhere, he can just join the party? Sheesh.

I've decided that the proper answer to my much earlier question about "should I split or sell unique monsters" is "always sell". You can get the components from the normal versions, but uniques sell for a ton more money than normal monsters.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

I've decided that the proper answer to my much earlier question about "should I split or sell unique monsters" is "always sell". You can get the components from the normal versions, but uniques sell for a ton more money than normal monsters.

I would just look at what it splits into and then decide, sometimes you get really rare stuff from splitting, and money is generally easier to get than the rare monster parts.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Does a unit have to be the leader of a union to use a unique art? Because I MAY be finding myself a little short on open leadership spots, now that Emmy has hers. (And since Irina joins the party, and I've got the feeling that she'll end up getting one as well.)
Yes, only the leader can use unique arts. So your best leaders include Rush, David, and Emmy just because of their unique arts and summons. Irina does have a unique art, but it's physical and she isn't. Stick her wherever you need a healer though. She should have Kiss of Life, which is the best revival spell. She should also have the Retreat Flare Trap, which you should use often to drop enemy morale. Just make sure you're always carrying a supply of its required ingredients.

Re: the new recruit - Seriously? That rear end in a top hat? What the hell. He showed up like once/twice in Blackdale, vanishes completely until the final boss fight of Disc 1, where he was a HUGE rear end in a top hat, and out of nowhere, he can just join the party? Sheesh.
Well he's a mercenary. Since you killed his client, he's a free agent again. You'll get over it once you see him use Beowulf for the first time. :v:

Pretty much.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope
I'd just like to post to say there is a TON of great RPGs coming out for consoles this year. I am going to be VERY BUSY. Is there anything I've neglected should add to my preorder list? Anything I've missed? Thus far I have:

Ni No Kuni
Pandora's Tower
Time and Eternity
Tales of Xillia
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix
Dragon's Crown
Muramasa Vita
Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut
The Guided Fate Paradox
Neptunia Victory

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Ni No Kuni is already out, Pandora's Tower too if you live in Europe. I'm not sure that Neptunia belongs on a list of great games, and someone else earlier said that Time and Eternity (Toki to wa) isn't good either.
You're missing Disgaea D2.
e: Oh and I think FF13-3 is supposed to be out this year too, dunno if you want to count that.

And a few of these aren't even RPGs (Muramasa and Deadly Premonition).

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 7, 2013

Wendell
May 11, 2003

If he's going to embarrass himself by listing loving Neptunia then yes, FF13-3 absolutely belongs. Anything's game at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope
I'm very sorry I offended you Wendell :rolleyes:

I forgot about that new Disgaea thanks it's going on the list!