Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

hieronymus posted:

If I give feedback at the interview you aren't getting the job. Ask for feedback if you think you did badly at an interview but aren't sure why - I've done that and it was very useful. Won't get you the job though.

Well, yeah, that is sort of what I meant when I said "in the future at other interviews". As in, interviews for other jobs because you just screwed up this one and aren't getting the job.

e: VVVVVVVV Wait, so you're saying I should wear my Picard shirt to interviews?

Xik fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Xik posted:

Well, yeah, that is sort of what I meant when I said "in the future at other interviews". As in, interviews for other jobs because you just screwed up this one and aren't getting the job.

Also keep in mind that the interviewer may not necessarily be at liberty to give the feedback. People who want to be programmers tend to be pretty drat weird people on the whole and you may not want to admit "it's down to the smelly guy, the brony, the guy who likes world of tanks way too much, and the kid with the captain picard t-shirt, I always liked Star Trek let's go with Captain Picard."

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Ithaqua posted:

"Product owner" is the job title?

I wouldn't worry about the terminology too much -- most places, in my experience, don't even really understand "Agile" or "scrum", they just toss them around as buzzwords. You'll probably just end up describing how you managed past projects, using your own terms, and defining them as appropriate.

I'm sure you've been to wikipedia; their Scrum page has all of the terminology defined.

I'm agreeing here. You're familiar with the positive things that agile tries to emphasize, don't sweat the fact that it was differently named.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Xik posted:

e: VVVVVVVV Wait, so you're saying I should wear my Picard shirt to interviews?

Only if it's down to a choice between that or your "This interview just got 20% cooler" shirt.

yoyodyne
May 7, 2007
I figured I would cross post this from the resume thread in BFC.
I am trying to change careers over to software development while I continue to go to school. My degree is in Biology, but I am finishing up post-bac prereq classes and am gearing up to apply to the Masters Program in Computer Science. I hope you guys can help me out with a few things.

There is a fair bit of gap on there between the last listed job, and the start of school. During this time, I have been working in a restaurant since I was getting more per hour and had a fairly flexible schedule.

I have some employment from before the first job listed on there, but it really is more bouncing between lab jobs due to no fault of my own (layoffs, funding cuts, etc.). Nothing in these jobs really adds much that the two listed jobs would, other than general work experience, so I haven't added it.

I don't have my GPA listed for either school. For the school I graduated from, it's quite low and should not be on there. For my current coursework I have a 3.00/4.00, which while not stellar, seems worth putting on there. It just seems odd to include 1 GPA, but not the other.

Please have a quick look and let me know if anything needs to be changed. Thanks.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62098282/SA_Resume.pdf

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

hieronymus posted:

Also keep in mind that the interviewer may not necessarily be at liberty to give the feedback. People who want to be programmers tend to be pretty drat weird people on the whole and you may not want to admit "it's down to the smelly guy, the brony, the guy who likes world of tanks way too much, and the kid with the captain picard t-shirt, I always liked Star Trek let's go with Captain Picard."

See, I wore a tailored suit and tie, and figured being more "businessey" would help me stand apart from the goony nerds. That and courtesy emails.

Does that ever make you look like less of a programmer?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

2banks1swap.avi posted:

See, I wore a tailored suit and tie, and figured being more "businessey" would help me stand apart from the goony nerds. That and courtesy emails.

It makes you look more professional, which can be a plus or minus depending on where you've applied. If it's a hip, new start-up, then the suit and tie could be overkill, but it probably wouldn't look out of place at say, IBM.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

It's already been covered but if you don't have a feel about how well you should dress for the company, just ask the HR person when they schedule your interview.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Depends. Here on the Best Coast a suit + tie would be overkill for tech shops. I hear it's somewhat different on the east coast though? Asking the company what people usually wear is probably your best bet.

wyrm
Apr 11, 2009

Cicero posted:

Depends. Here on the Best Coast a suit + tie would be overkill for tech shops. I hear it's somewhat different on the east coast though? Asking the company what people usually wear is probably your best bet.

I work on the east coast and my anecdotal experience is that a suit is usually seen as overkill here too. I have on a few occasions been thanked by an interviewer specifically for not wearing a suit, most recently when interviewing at my current company. Then again, I've spent most of my career working for companies with less than 50 employees. Things can be a lot more formal in larger offices.

I truly love wearing suits and pocket squares and poo poo but a man really can't go wrong with a collared shirt and slacks for a programming interview.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I got an e-mail from my recruiter in the middle of the night telling me that the internship I was supposed to be interviewing for has changed and that they no longer have any positions. He apologized profusely and said that he'd try to forward my resume around :smith:

I just checked on the website, a day later, and the job is no longer posted. Any ideas on what happened? Everything was going so well too.

Is the recruiter actually going to forward my resume to people or am I out of luck?

wyrm
Apr 11, 2009
Sometimes a recruiter in that situation will keep on hustling for you for a short time, but if they didn't mention any specific openings in the e-mail I wouldn't bank on it.

Don't psyche yourself out over why the opening closed either, if that's a possibility :v:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ithaqua posted:

"Product owner" is the job title?

I wouldn't worry about the terminology too much -- most places, in my experience, don't even really understand "Agile" or "scrum", they just toss them around as buzzwords. You'll probably just end up describing how you managed past projects, using your own terms, and defining them as appropriate.

I'm sure you've been to wikipedia; their Scrum page has all of the terminology defined.
Yep, the posting's title was "product owner." I am overthinking all this and it did not occur to me to just look at the glossary on Wikipedia. Apparently that's an explicit Scrum term that describes something along the lines of the role I had, which is to say I was selecting what components should be built by the team during each iteration (based on business need, dependencies, etc) and then wrangling SMEs/devs/testers during the iteration to get it done.

Lurchington posted:

I'm agreeing here. You're familiar with the positive things that agile tries to emphasize, don't sweat the fact that it was differently named.

Yeah, you're right. The impostor syndrome is just kicking in hard and I am psyching myself out. My initial phone interview is just with an HR guy anyway so he's probably just going to ask me what's on my resume already and ask a bunch of behavioral stuff; he's likely not qualified to ask anything else.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
On the topic of "weird recruiter emails". I was told last week that I had an on-site interview scheduled for the Friday after next, and I would be receiving official confirmation and flight details soon. On Monday I got an email from the recruiter saying that he received "new instructions regarding my interviews", and that he still hoped to fly me out at the same time.

I... don't know how to interpret this, what's going on :confused:

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Cicero posted:

I was told it would be proper for an interview but not day-to-day. I just like having an excuse to dress up, and it makes me more confident, if not outright cocky.

I'm the kind of person who watches American Psycho and wants to go out to eat or get new clothes. This might explain a little bit about me.

I guess next time if this doesn't pan out I'll get a polo and slacks on.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Amarkov posted:

On the topic of "weird recruiter emails". I was told last week that I had an on-site interview scheduled for the Friday after next, and I would be receiving official confirmation and flight details soon. On Monday I got an email from the recruiter saying that he received "new instructions regarding my interviews", and that he still hoped to fly me out at the same time.

If this is Microsoft, my travel details were delayed by almost 2 months. Just be persistent but wait a day or two for replies.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Amarkov posted:

Could just be internal questions of who'd be available to interview you, or issues with the company T&E policy in paying to flying you out, or who knows what. I wouldn't sweat it yet, but stay on top of it.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Xik posted:

They were probably doing it in the interests of self-improvement and expected you to be honest with them so it could help them in the future at other interviews. I'm sure that making you feel "uncomfortable" wasn't high on their priority list.
Giving honest feedback on a bad interview is a great way to walk into a lawsuit.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

yoyodyne posted:

I figured I would cross post this from the resume thread in BFC.
I am trying to change careers over to software development while I continue to go to school. My degree is in Biology, but I am finishing up post-bac prereq classes and am gearing up to apply to the Masters Program in Computer Science. I hope you guys can help me out with a few things.

There is a fair bit of gap on there between the last listed job, and the start of school. During this time, I have been working in a restaurant since I was getting more per hour and had a fairly flexible schedule.

I have some employment from before the first job listed on there, but it really is more bouncing between lab jobs due to no fault of my own (layoffs, funding cuts, etc.). Nothing in these jobs really adds much that the two listed jobs would, other than general work experience, so I haven't added it.

I don't have my GPA listed for either school. For the school I graduated from, it's quite low and should not be on there. For my current coursework I have a 3.00/4.00, which while not stellar, seems worth putting on there. It just seems odd to include 1 GPA, but not the other.

Please have a quick look and let me know if anything needs to be changed. Thanks.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62098282/SA_Resume.pdf
So the main thing for me that's missing is mentioning relevant work done in software. Big school projects, personal pet projects, whatever. Sample projects you can talk about, or sample code from those projects to show them, that's what you want them to know exists up front and then (if asked) bring up in the interview. It's understandable that you don't have normal, remunerated programming experience yet but if it was me looking over that resume my very first worry is "has this person ever applied what they know?". I'm not saying you're one of them, but that resume doesn't do much to distinguish whether that person is the real deal but just starting out, or if they're one who may have been able to get through coursework and pass the exams, but has never really logged any serious keyboard time and their first real crack at it is going to be paid for by us. I've personally been burned by people with great academic pedigree winding up being clueless, unteachable programmers hacks and just knowledgable enough with the technology to be dangerous, and know many other stories from friends and peers. That's not to say anyone coming out of school in that spot is going to be a disaster, but they're definitely out there and to me the best antidote to that is to see that they've been able to commit to a project, regularly, with productive results, solo okay but team projects are better. And while absence of that evidence doesn't mean you're one of those types, it does leave the person evaluating you unsure of the answer until they open a conversation with you, so it would heavily behoove you to put that up front on the resume to set you above that bar before they even meet you.

So I'd make a quick bullet list of projects/applications you've worked on, and if that bench isn't deep then I'd suggest looking to join in or start some little spare time projects (which will be beneficial practice anyway).

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 7, 2013

yoyodyne
May 7, 2007
I'm planning on adding a link to my github account, which in the near future, will contain some of my actual code. How big should a project be to add it to a resume or feature it in github account? A lot of the stuff I have is fairly small (such as part of a programming problem set), but it is well written, clean code, and some of it has unit tests as well. I should have a bit more to post in there in a few weeks as well with some assignments coming up. Does anyone have or know of someone with a good github account that is well set up for something like what I would need to make?

I plan on practicing for Google Code Jam by working on some of the practice problems posted on the site. I imagine something like this would help, or should I work on something bigger instead? I'm quite busy, so free time is very much at a premium.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Strong Sauce posted:

It's already been covered but if you don't have a feel about how well you should dress for the company, just ask the HR person when they schedule your interview.

That said, I had an interview last week where the HR email specifically said "don't dress up".

I was the only person who turned up not in a suit. The interviewer told me "always dress up".

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

jiggerypokery posted:

That said, I had an interview last week where the HR email specifically said "don't dress up".

I was the only person who turned up not in a suit. The interviewer told me "always dress up".

That sounds more like the HR person being incompetent and/or a dick, honestly.

other people posted:

(Thanks for the advice guys. I can't believe you guessed the company correctly wtf)

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
You dress for the occasion. The interview for the job and the job itself are two different occasions. This applies to the interviewers as well. Where I work it's permanently casual, but when people have to interview new candidates, they wear suits that day.

Also, purely pragmatically, you can take off a suit jacket and tie, untuck the shirt, whatever.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

jiggerypokery posted:

Congrats, you just filtered out a company that you don't want to work at.

thepedestrian
Dec 13, 2004
hey lady, you call him dr. jones!

yoyodyne posted:

I'm planning on adding a link to my github account, which in the near future, will contain some of my actual code. How big should a project be to add it to a resume or feature it in github account? A lot of the stuff I have is fairly small (such as part of a programming problem set), but it is well written, clean code, and some of it has unit tests as well. I should have a bit more to post in there in a few weeks as well with some assignments coming up. Does anyone have or know of someone with a good github account that is well set up for something like what I would need to make?

I plan on practicing for Google Code Jam by working on some of the practice problems posted on the site. I imagine something like this would help, or should I work on something bigger instead? I'm quite busy, so free time is very much at a premium.

I keep (semi-)complete projects and stuff other people might actually find useful on my public github account and keep the abandoned and silly stuff on my private bitbucket account. Every so often I prune my github and less often I move things to github once they've reached a certain threshold. I think if the code's well written and has tests then you should feel ok putting it on github. I just personally feel that some people might take a whole bunch of half finished projects on your github as showing a lack of follow through. I don't know enough about Google Code Jam to have an opinion on whether it's worthwhile.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

2banks1swap.avi posted:

See, I wore a tailored suit and tie...

Only if it fits well and you look comfortable in it :v:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Zhentar posted:

Only if it fits well and you look comfortable in it :v:

Did you accessorize with a trilby or a fedora?

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
No, but I had measurements taken and tailoring done. Maybe I'm not dorky enough?

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Wear a trench coat next time if you want to get hired.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Suits, smart casual, crumped t-shirt, whatever - a lot of people have to come from their current job to interview and then go back after, so it's not a biggie what they wear. But goddamn, run a brush through your bloody hair. Have a modicum of pride. This is especially a problem with graduates. My wholly unscientific study based on personal experience says Cambridge are the worst for this.

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot
Just dress for the interview exactly as how you'd dress day to day. People that dress differently for interviews are dorks. If you wear a suit and tie every day, then wear that to the interview. If you wear sweats and wifebeaters every day then wear that to the interview (of course you shouldn't do that at all). "Be yourself" is the best interview advice anyone can give. And part of that is to not play dress up for the interview. Dress like you. Most good companies don't care how you look as long as you are capable of solving problems.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
"Hmm, this post is provocative. If the author knew what he was talking about, then it would be interesting and worthy of consideration. Does he know what he's talking about? Err... no, doesn't seem that way. In fact he seems talk out of his rear end. So it's just bullshit. Why did I read this. Who is th..."

..oh, it's how!!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

how!! posted:

Just dress for the interview exactly as how you'd dress day to day. People that dress differently for interviews are dorks. If you wear a suit and tie every day, then wear that to the interview. If you wear sweats and wifebeaters every day then wear that to the interview (of course you shouldn't do that at all). "Be yourself" is the best interview advice anyone can give. And part of that is to not play dress up for the interview. Dress like you. Most good companies don't care how you look as long as you are capable of solving problems.

You sure give some terrible advice. Looking decent/professional is absolutely a good thing when it comes to interviews.

Wasse
Jan 16, 2010

Plorkyeran posted:

Giving honest feedback on a bad interview is a great way to walk into a lawsuit.

This.

I hate to say it, but America is just too crazy when it comes to litigation. You are pretty much taught to be afraid to say anything, lest something is said wrong, and comes back to haunt you. Not to mention the way the courts work, even if you are 100% right, it costs too much to prove you are right. You just need to settle.

A scenario I heard of from a friend; several college students were hired. (entry level job). One of them did not work out. They were fired after about 4 months. Normal procedure - some people just don't work out / "get it".

Note that the person who hired them - the person who had the real power/decision making ability, is also the power that fired the person.

A week later the company was contacted that the person who was fired was considering legal action, that their firing was discriminatory. The company essentially paid off a small ransom (nothing crazy, a couple months extra pay). Why? Simply having to show up in court, to defend against it, was going to cost that much. And there was no upside to it.

Blah.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

how!! posted:

^^^^ Do not do that. ^^^^

If you are interviewing for a programming job, wear a suit. It is expected that you are able to show a certain level of professionalism, even if it is not required during a normal working day. It doesn't have be a fancy suit, and you definitely shouldn't walk around in it like you have a stick up your rear end, but wear a suit. It doesn't matter if it is a small company, big company, east coast, west coast, or whatever.

The worst reaction I have ever had to being in a suit at an interview was in a last round interview at a small company. I was interviewing with the CEO, who was in sweatpants and a T-shirt. He visibly winced when I came into his office and said something like "Oh man I've gotta have HR tell people they don't need to wear a suit". After that though there was no mention of the suit, the interview proceeded as normal, and I got the job.

Wearing a suit will never cause you to fail an interview. Not wearing a suit will in some cases. The only exception to "Wear a suit" is if you have a midday interview scheduled which you need to leave your current job for and then go back to work. In that case, wear whatever you normally wear to work, except with nicer pants. When you leave work, throw on a button down shirt over whatever you were wearing, and a sport coat over that. Go interview, take off the extra clothes, and go back to work.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Good advice. In general, I just ask the phone interviewer/recruiter what to wear. When in doubt, I suck it up and put a suit on.

biochemist
Jun 2, 2005

Who says we don't have backbone?

armorer posted:

^^^^ Do not do that. ^^^^

If you are interviewing for a programming job, wear a suit. It is expected that you are able to show a certain level of professionalism, even if it is not required during a normal working day. It doesn't have be a fancy suit, and you definitely shouldn't walk around in it like you have a stick up your rear end, but wear a suit. It doesn't matter if it is a small company, big company, east coast, west coast, or whatever.

One time I thought "if they expect me to wear a suit I don't want to work there". And then I grew the gently caress up and wore a suit and got the kick-rear end job. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that anyone in this thread looking for interview advice isn't a Zuckerberg hoodie-and-flip-flops tier programmer yet. There's nothing wrong with acting like a professional, especially if they're throwing software engineering level salaries at you.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

how!! posted:

People around here would cut you some slack for pontificating if what you had to say was actually correct.

Unless you have clear and explicit evidence to the contrary (recruiter told you no suit, Google's website says business casual to Google interviews, or you're interviewing for a web dev job at a porn studio in which case maybe birthday suit is expected, I don't know), just wear the suit. You can lose the tie and jacket, but you can't call timeout in the middle of the interview to go back home and put on a suit.

I guess I just don't understand why so many people have aversions to dressing nice, as if ties will grow sentience and choke you to death and jackets have AIDS needles inside them that will randomly stick you.

thepedestrian
Dec 13, 2004
hey lady, you call him dr. jones!

Ithaqua posted:

Good advice. In general, I just ask the phone interviewer/recruiter what to wear. When in doubt, I suck it up and put a suit on.

This is the best advice. Also, for people that don't have a suit or have some awful ill-fitting suit that used to be their dads or something, buy a suit that fits! You will have job interviews, funerals, weddings, court appearances, magic shows, etc. for the rest of your life where you will need to wear a suit. A gray suit will work for every occasion. The folks in the suit thread are slightly suit elitist and will push you to spend likely more than you want on your first suit, but they give good advice. Also, whatever you buy will not fit you exactly. Get it tailored. It's a cheap way to make any suit look better.

j/k everything I just posted was a joke how!! is right wife beaters are the correct interview attire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot

kitten smoothie posted:

People around here would cut you some slack for pontificating if what you had to say was actually correct.

Unless you have clear and explicit evidence to the contrary (recruiter told you no suit, Google's website says business casual to Google interviews, or you're interviewing for a web dev job at a porn studio in which case maybe birthday suit is expected, I don't know), just wear the suit. You can lose the tie and jacket, but you can't call timeout in the middle of the interview to go back home and put on a suit.

I guess I just don't understand why so many people have aversions to dressing nice, as if ties will grow sentience and choke you to death and jackets have AIDS needles inside them that will randomly stick you.

Most places I've interviews at, the employees don't wear suits to work. Programming is not customer facing. You're not meeting with customers or clients. Your manner of dress does not have any bearing on anything whatsoever. Anyways, "professionalism" is a relative term that has a different definition for each context it applies to. What is professional to a doctor is not professional to a truck driver. Just because Investment bankers and secretaries wear business suits does not mean software developers have to wear them too to be "professional".

Any company that negatively discriminates against you for not wearing a suit to an interview, is probably a really lovely place to work. Either because they are having you go out and meet customers face-to-face all the time, or because the company is so out of touch with reality they make you wear a suit every day and probably also make you sing company songs.