Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adravet
Oct 9, 2012

Jeek posted:

The letter is really fishy. The murderer isn't the sender because they are just high school students, not serial murderers.

You have no idea how much I want a Dangan Ronpa III with a Super High-School Level Serial Killer, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master

adravet posted:

You have no idea how much I want a Dangan Ronpa III with a Super High-School Level Serial Killer, now.
We kinda already had one of those.

adravet
Oct 9, 2012

Conro101 posted:

We kinda already had one of those.

Yah, but only for half the time, and that wasn't why she got in. I just think it would be fun for everyone to start off going "Uh, is this really okay?" like they did with the gang leaders, and then... wham, looks like it's time for some serial murders. Good for the mindscrew, whereas in DR1, it was more of a wacky thing that came up suddenly and was effectively defused just after.

Re: the actual mystery, the only thing I can think of to add is that three plugged-in irons and two air conditioners, pre-set to a certain time, would be enough to blow a fuse in a place with old wiring. (Hell, an air conditioner, a PS3 and a TV blew fuses in my old place, and irons draw a lot of power.) Nagito had the access to set all of this up, including the timers -- which probably wouldn't have been in use before, given that 11:30 at night is a weird time to start air-conditioning, and who the hell air-conditions an abandoned lodge no one goes into.

So really what I'm wondering is if the game has decided to play it straight, assuming we'll think there's a subversion, or just flat-out subverting things because it likes to. Because if Nagito isn't the culprit, the game is sparing no effort at making him one hell of a red herring.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The note could have been sent by Monobear as the "motive". He screwed around with notes in case 4 last time after all.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The note could have been sent by Monobear as the "motive". He screwed around with notes in case 4 last time after all.
The motive for who? Togami? He didn't want to kill anyone, he wanted to prevent it. And when it comes to motives Monobear seems to give them out to everyone at once in the open. The motive in this case was Monobear saying all the memories were gone and someone in the group doesn't belong. Whoever killed Togami likely worked under the notion that he was the traitor.

The letter from the first game made Asahina think Sakura committed suicide for a different reason than the truth, but the motive in that case was outting Sakura as the mole and making people think she would do something.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 18, 2014

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
The old rules about Monobear don't apply because either a different person is controlling him, or he's a sentient AI now. We don't know enough about DR2 Monobear yet to assume anything. His behavior has already shown marked differences with DR1 Monobear.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Vyxzuw posted:

Also, the bathroom is still locked even though we found Peko in the office later. That's why when we see her in the office, we tell her to go to her hotel and not the bathroom. So it seems the bathroom is locked without anyone in it.

I've been figuring the bathroom must be hiding the access to the crawlspace, but now that it's been pointed out how far away it is, compared to the equally susicious storage room, it seems a lot more unlikely. Maybe Nagito or the real killer locked it just to introduce some more chaos into Togami's plan. If people are wandering off having to use the bathroom, it creates more potential suspects to point at and defend themselves.

But where the hell WAS Peko anyway, if not in the bathroom? That's the one thing I still can't figure out at all. If she was in the office all along and Souda's just lying, why would she go along with it saying how we must suspect her since she wasn't at her post?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Skunkrocker posted:

To be honest, I thought about that. Someone who would lie they're actually a SHSL Investigator, Monobear would reveal they're lying, and someone of high power and influence (like another Togami) would make the big reveal of "I know who you REALLY are!" Turns out they are reformed and trying to make better on life, but no one dares trust them except the player and every murder they point to the kid in the hockey mask or whatever... a true "Red Herring".

But I doubt it would ever happen.

Or you could have the serial killer be the culprit behind all the murders, and use the Cardassian justice system where it's just a matter of proving how they did it. If you guess correctly, one of your number gets to go home!

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!
On the last page I read a theory about Nagito and Hanamura both plotting to kill Togami and I have to say, I really like this theory. Nagito could have planted the knife and Hanamura would have hidden a skewer. Hanamura could have poisoned peko's food and Nagito could have set up the power to go out. While the power was out Nagito probably went for the knife and Togami caught him while Hanamura hid in the crawlspace. Somewhere along the lines Nagito gets 7 stabs on Togami and Hanamura skewers him. But then the question becomes who got to him first? Perhaps Nagito found out Hanamura was also planning murder and is trying to set Hanamura up as he would be the easiest considering he would have planned for murder which is why he's giving away important details. Another idea is Souda planned the blackout. Although I'm thinking 3 attempted murderers would be too much for a first case. This also relies on there being an entrance to the crawlspace. If no entrance is found then it has to be Nagito although I'm thinking Nagito either way.

chris20855
Feb 24, 2013

RefinedUndefined posted:

So it appears that the 'skewer under the floorboards' theory has been disproven, as well as Kuzuryuu being behind it. Aside from that, I'm going to guess that Chiaki is supposed to be the game's equivalent of Kirigiri, judging how rather proactive she is in pursuing leads. Now that letter, who could have sent it, the mastermind, a traitor in SHSL Despair, or, if this Togami is a fake, the real Togami? Also, what do you lot think, did Kuzuryuu want to join the party and just couldn't admit it, or is he telling the truth and just felt like going on a walk?

I wouldn't be so quick to count out the skewer under the floorboards. It's Nagito that said there were no hidden doors. Maybe there's one that he missed. Or one that he isn't telling about. Remember how trustworthy this guy seems.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

chris20855 posted:

I wouldn't be so quick to count out the skewer under the floorboards. It's Nagito that said there were no hidden doors. Maybe there's one that he missed. Or one that he isn't telling about. Remember how trustworthy this guy seems.

He even prevented us from properly investigating the store room, and if there is a door to the crawlspace, I bet it is there.

FFKonoko
Jan 1, 2013

Olfacere violarum.
I'm still trying to narrow down a list of who wrote that note, based on how it sounds, with the short sentences and wording.
So...very thin speculation on vague character impressions, some meta-game thinking and language via translation:
My first thought was Gundam, just because the whole "it is inevitable" sounded just melodramatic enough, but that's incredibly thin and there's quite a few others that it could easily sound like.
Starting by discounting the mechanic souda, princess sonia, nidai, nurse mikan, akane and ibuki for various reasons of just not seeming like their kind of language. Likewise, I feel like hiyoko and the cook would probably have something distinctive to the writing that is lacking, or otherwise not word it quite like that. Some rather sweeping decisions that might well be wrong, but I need to cut the list down quick. And Mahiro could not feel more like she's just spinning her wheels until a later case.

Nagito, Kuzuryuu, Chiaki, Pekoyama...those are the others left on the list and almost all of them have been implicated or otherwise are important to the case. Figures. Considering the opinion, that it is inevitable, though...Pekoyama and Chiaki are the guards in the case, so that doesn't quite sound right. Even with the idea of an inside job, the way they got the guard jobs and such just doesn't quite fit.
Kuzuryuu has openly voiced a similar opinion to in the letter, so though the comparatively neutral or impassive way you can read the note again doesn't sound quite right for what he's shown so far, I'm considering it possible.
And, Nagito? It kinda flies in the face of his hope shtick and the whole "let's trust our friends" thing, but I think there's quite a few people distrusting him like heck despite that, so I might as well not discount it based on that. Plus, it'd be a pretty great simple "Nagito wrote this, it's clearly a threat, he's the murderer" "oh no he's not because" thing in the trial.

So, Nagito, Kuzuryuu, Gundam is my short list of note writing suspects, most suspected first. Jesus, that's a lot of text I went through to come to that conclusion.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Vyxzuw posted:

Also, the bathroom is still locked even though we found Peko in the office later. That's why when we see her in the office, we tell her to go to her hotel and not the bathroom. So it seems the bathroom is locked without anyone in it.

Nidai wasn't sick. He just had to take a crap.

Owari (who may also be sick) and Nidai are now missing though. One of them could've gone in the bathroom after Pekoyama left.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!

whitehelm posted:

Owari (who may also be sick) and Nidai are now missing though. One of them could've gone in the bathroom after Pekoyama left.

Well, it's true that Nidai may have rushed to the bathroom right after Peko left, which would explain why it's locked now. But why wouldn't he hell out that he was using it when we knocked?

Plus, if the idea was to get Owari and Nidai sick, then wouldn't they want the sickness to hit before the blackout? Neither were affected (or at least neither were affected before the blackout.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Nagito is asking suspicious, but he's not acting like a murderer. If he were really intent on throwing off the investigation, you'd think he would be pushing suspicion on Pekoyama or Kuzuryuu or something. He could still be concealing the evidence that directly ties him to the crime, it just seems like a losing prospect in the end--Hajime is still getting all the puzzle pieces. With nothing to tie it to the others, process of elimination would still nail Nagito in the end.

He's definitely hiding something though, no doubt about that.

taniada
Feb 19, 2013

Spatula City posted:

The old rules about Monobear don't apply because either a different person is controlling him, or he's a sentient AI now. We don't know enough about DR2 Monobear yet to assume anything. His behavior has already shown marked differences with DR1 Monobear.

This is something I can't wait to see -- Monobear's true "identity" in this game. It probably won't be revealed for awhile. But I think it'd be really interesting if it turns out that he doesn't have a controller (or controllers) at all this time around and now he's, like you said, a fully-fledged sentient AI acting independently. On that note, I'm still wondering about Monomi, too -- where she came from and what her real motive/role is, including whether she has the same controller as Monobear (assuming they have controllers, anyway).

Also, if I recall correctly we also still don't know what really happens to the survivors (or the rest of the world, for that matter) at the end of DR1, either -- the game sort of left that up in the air. I'm guessing if DR2 is supposed to occur chronologically after DR1 (rather than intended as an AU or something) we'll eventually be figuring out what really transpired directly after DR1, hopefully. And that might include answers as to what this "new" Monobear really is / where he came from. Because unless I missed something, it hasn't really been established yet whether there's a mastermind this time around or if the mastermind is actually just... Monobear.

I'm getting unnecessarily ahead of myself though -- this is only the first case and I still can't even decide whether I think they'll be playing this case out as a tutorial round and the solution really will be obvious, or if they're assuming most DR2 players have played DR1 and they're just jumping right in and giving us a case with some major plot twists and red herrings.

taniada fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 8, 2013

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

taniada posted:

This is something I can't wait to see -- Monobear's true "identity" in this game. It probably won't be revealed for awhile. But I think it'd be really interesting if it turns out that he doesn't have a controller (or controllers) at all this time around and now he's, like you said, a fully-fledged sentient AI acting independently. On that note, I'm still wondering about Monomi, too -- where she came from and what her real motive/role is, including whether she has the same controller as Monobear (assuming they have controllers, anyway).

Assuming the final scene from DR1 is legit, it implies that Monobear becomes controlled by another party after Junko's death. As the fortified school seems tough to infiltrate, I will go out on a limb and guess that the party is an AI of some sort. If Junko is capable of high technologies like mind wiping and teleporting spears, who is to say she doesn't have a backup control system in case she cannot oversee the game personally for some reason?

And I would say that Monomi is in cahoots with Monobear 2.0 - if she is indeed controlled by someone else (Naegi's group, for instance), why would she maintains her appearance and be generally useless after the alteration? Her initial moves are also unethical for someone truly concerned with the students' welfare and appears to be a set up for the students to fall harder into despair.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

taniada posted:

Kind of a long shot, but perhaps some corrupted remnants of Alter Ego is involved, from the whole network infiltration bit?

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
On image I had in my mind, funny while impossible, was that Fukawa and Syo were each running the two robots.

But at the moment my working theory on the Mono's is based on the OTHER theory that the kids in this game are former Super-despair agents or whatever, and the island is to imprison them so they don't start up that bullshit again. If this holds true, then it's easy to assume that Monomi/Usami, however bad she is at it, is the kids' warden/rehabilitation overseer trying to get them to straighten up and fly right. It would also explain why she didn't seem too preoccupied with the threat of them all dying and was insisting that they not accuse each other of killing; they are still being imprisoned, maybe as punishment.

Which brings me to Monobear...

It's a shot in the dark, but I think that--again, this only works if the students used to be evil-- is being controlled by somebody who was wronged by the Despair group and is taking it out on the former members. That they were so hosed up, suffered such a loss, etc. that they're willing to drat themselves and give the student a taste of their own medicine. If the students are former bad guys, then why wouldn't Monobear be pointing some sort of scifi device at them to un-fry their memories, give them some plane tickets and set the loose again on the world if he was also part of the same organization? ...Unless the kids all hosed up some important mission, I suppose, but by and large, revenge is the easiest scenario to picture.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Please, everyone knows that Monobear is the avenging angel of Santa Claus, here to rid the world of the Easter Bunny at the request of the Loch Ness Monster. The children are actually The Patriots (The PATRIOTS?!), the "traitor" is Solid Brady, and they're being virtual reality trained to win the World Series despite being AI versions of dead president football players. It's so obvious!

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Please, everyone knows that Monobear is the avenging angel of Santa Claus, here to rid the world of the Easter Bunny at the request of the Loch Ness Monster. The children are actually The Patriots (The PATRIOTS?!), the "traitor" is Solid Brady, and they're being virtual reality trained to win the World Series despite being AI versions of dead president football players. It's so obvious!

If so, then who is the person controlling them?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

RefinedUndefined posted:

If so, then who is the person controlling them?

Revolver Ocelot. It is always Revolver Oceltot.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Ikoroshia

Before we leave Togami's cottage, there's one more thing we have to do.

And that's all five chapter 1 Hidden Monobears! Now, I know we're pressed for time, but before going back to the lodge we should to a quick run through the island to see if we haven't missed anyone.

Honestly... I really am grieving for Mr. Porkfeet...

Then maybe you should stop calling him Mr. Porkfeet...

So, what are you doing over here? Did you find any clues for the investigation?

Nope, there aren't any here. But I’ve got much more important things to do!
Much more important?

Curious...?
You see, my candy ran out, so I came here to get some more!
Huh? Candy...?

Yep! Here, look! These are my favorite gummies!
There's looooads of them here!

She’s abandoning the investigation... for candy?

And! There’s waaaay more than just gummies!
There’s cookies and chocolate and lollipops. All my favorite things in one place!

But there's one type they don't have. What a crummy supermarket!

Oh, she probably means traditional Japanese confectionery... She is a classical Japanese dancer, after all...

Well, there's nothing I can do, so I'll have to make do with all the other candy.

She seems to know all about this supermarket... Which means...

I'm pretty sure... they're night-vision goggles.
N...Night-vision goggles?
I saw them at the supermarket when we were there earlier. They had a whole stand of military and survival stuff...

Saionji might know about the goggles and the survival goods.

Hey, there's something I want you to tell me.

Eh? You're still here?

That’s no way to ask a lady a question, you know...
W...What the...?

Heehee... You’re so shady! But you're funny, so ask away!
Uh, sure... So...
Do you know if there's anything missing here? Other than food and daily supplies... and candy.

Missing?
Um... Some defense goods, I think. There seem to be less than there were before.

Defense goods... They're probably the ones that are in Togami's duralumin case.

Yep. The night-vision goggles are also gone. ...That's it, I think.
I see. Thanks.

So, this is definitely where the goggles came from... I guess the culprit must have taken them.

Hey, hey, big-bro Hinata!

Here, I'll give you this piece of candy. I expect you to repay with interest, of course.
Huh...?

Tee-hee! It's a deal!

I think I got myself into a bad loan.

Yo! So, how's the investigation going?
So-so, I guess. But what are you doing here?

I'm doing some exercise to clear my mind so I can think well!

I think if I go take a swim, something’ill pop into my mind! That's a good idea, right?
Wait. Don't you need to have some clues before you start thinking about the murder?

Huh? I do? Well, that's just details!

She probably had no intention of investigating or thinking in the first place...

Sniffle sniffle... How cwuel... This is far too cwuel...

That's right... I wanted to ask her about the windows in the old lodge.

Hey, there's something I want to ask you.

No... I don't want to support any doubts and suspicions between... between fwiends...
W...What the hell...?
It's not like we want to be doing this, you know!
No... I don't have time to fight with you right now.
More importantly... why are the windows at the old lodge blocked with iron plates?

Eh? The iron plates?
I installed them there so everyone won't walk in by mistake. It’s under weconstwuction, so it’s not safe...
So it is just about the reconstruction... and it was you who sealed them...

That's because it's weeaaaly dangewous to go in there! We mustn't have any danger on this island...

...Or, at least, we weren't supposed to...
W...Why did this happen...? How cwuel... This is far too cwuel...

Nothing's going to change if you just stand there and cry, though!

We need to act! We have to deal with this ourselves!

Now we can go back to the lodge and complete the investigation.

GAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
...Whoa!

What was that excessively loud laugh right now...?

Ah, truly a refreshing feeling...

How about it? Nekomaru Nidai is back to life! I shall not be beaten anymore!
...Beaten by who?

Anyone. Not even my past self!
Not that you don’t sound impressive or anything, but... What the hell are you talking about?

I'm talking about SHIIIIIIIIIIT!!
Whoa!

Ku... I don't know whose ploy it was to disgrace me by trying to make me dirty my pants...
...But since just before the party started, some miscreant has been exclusively occupying the toilet.
Yeah, now that you mention it, you did say something like that during the party...

D...Don’t think I didn’t try the nearest crapper first! But someone's been using it for a while now!

But, if they had thought their paltry effort would shake me, they greatly underestimated my guts and my perseverance.

One must do everything swiftly and without losing composure. That's the quality of a true champion!

In other words, to be top on the leaderboard, one must remain composed at all times!

I’m not sure you quite lived up to that ideal. But something tells me I should let this discrepancy pass unnoticed.

Anyway... so the toilet was closed since the party began. Was it still closed after the blackout?

It was finally free after we found Togami's body...
...And that's how I came to relieve myself.

It's not much of a story... but I'd better remember it, just in case.

Evidence Bullet Get posted:

Nidai's Testimony

Nidai tried to enter the toilet several times after the party began, but it was always locked.
He managed to finally get in after Togami's body was discovered.

Hmmm... It seems there isn’t anywhere inside the lodge where you can get under the floor. At least, not that I can see.

Just like Komaeda said, huh?

That means Tanaka’ll have to give up on his earring.

Hey! You're late! What did you do, crawl here?
I wasn't crawling... there was just a lot to investigate, and I had to do it at my own pace.

Is that so? Well, as long as you were taking the job seriously, I guess it's okay...
So... what about you?

Yeah, about that...
...You don't sound too sure of yourself.

Well, here - take a look.

See, like we discussed, I studied the two photos I took just before the blackout...

...and tried to judge where everyone was standing.
See? I made this map.

So this is everyone's positions before the blackout... most of us are in the big hall, but that was to be expected.
I drew this based on the photos, so most of it should be spot on.

So Togami really was standing pretty far away from that table...

It doesn’t seem plausible for him to have moved that far in pitch darkness...

Huh? What's this? There's a line stretching from the table we found Togami under.
Um... it's the tabletop lamp. I drew its cord, just in case it would be useful.

The lamp's cord...?

If that cord stretched from the table Togami was killed under, then maybe...

...So, was that of any help?
Hmm... I still can't say for sure...

I thought so... I drew it myself and I can't tell anything from it...
I have a feeling there's some clue hidden in there... but also that I may have worked for nothing...
No, I don't think it was for nothing.

...Eh?

I’m not certain yet, but I have a feeling this map can tell us something.

Something important...

Um... if you don't mind, can I please discuss something with you?
Do you have any new information?
Um... I examined Togami-san's body the best I could under the circumstances...

A...And... I found many stab wounds on Togami-san's chest and abdomen...
T...The weapon... also pierced the lungs and the internal organs... and...

Sniff... it was probably a thin sharp implement, about 5 millimeters in diameter... and...
I...I...I think h...he was stabbed... again and again... and...

...Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
H...Hey, are you alright?
I'm sorry...! Talking about it made me feel so sad!
T...Take it easy. I think I got most of what you were trying to say...

U...Uuuu... I...I'm sorry...!

5 millimeters in diameter, she said...

But, isn't that very thin? That's like... an icepick or an awl or something...

Evidence Bullet Get posted:

Tsumiki's Examination Results

According to Tsumiki's examination, Togami's chest and abdomen seem to have been pierced many times by a sharp implement about 5 millimeters in diameter.

Music fades out

* ding dong ding dong *

It's time! That's right! It's time for our long-awaited school trial!
I will now announce the meeting place.
On the central island here in Jabberwock, there is a mountain with my cute face carved on it.
Its name is "Monobear Rock"!
Please proceed to the underground elevator, accessible from a hidden secret entrance on that mountain.
Upupu, see you later!!

A mountain on the central island... that has Monobear's face carved on it...?

Let's go look for it.

Re: Despair Syndrome

I think we found it.

Ocean Breeze Dead End

...Huh?

Hey, where’d this mountain come from?! I...It wasn't here before!!

A mountain in the shape of Monobear... How did he even make it...?

It seems... that the hypothesis we discussed before is true.
About the possiblity of a "powerful organization" being involved here.
That's... what Togami said, isn't it?

Togami-san... We require still his wisdom and guidance... but he...

Ku... It’s still difficult to believe that he really is dead!

Byakuya-chan Byakuya-chan Byakuya-chan Byakuya-chan Byakuya-chan...

By the way... where are Tanaka-kun and Kuzuryuu-kun?

N...Now that you mention it... it seems they aren't here yet...

Ah! I know! They both ran away!

Re: Mr. Monobear's Lesson

Oh, that won't do! No one can escape me, after all!
By which I mean to say... Look! I brought him with me!

L...Let me go!

Hey, hey! If you keep struggling, I'm going to bite your legs off!

Kuzuryuu! Where have you been until now?!

Nowhere in particular.
There I was, in my room, when all of a sudden I hear that Togami’s gone and gotten himself killed...

Feh... The gently caress does this even have to do with me?

How can you even say such irresponsible things...?

The rest of us have been working our asses off investigating so we can get through this! None of us wanted to, but we did it anyway!

Koizumi-san... we shouldn't fight... Kuzuryuu-kun, you too...

Feh... Retards...!

...All that's left now is Tanaka, right?

...Seek not Gundam Tanaka... for he shall seek you, if you are worthy!

Would you have me make my entrance early, when there are those not present to bear witness?!

Oh, for the love of-

...Huh?

...You seem to have noticed too, Hinata-kun.

Muaaahahahaha!

Yeah, I noticed.

Well, then. It seems everyone is finally here.
It's time to use the "secret entrance" and head to the courtroom.

W...Wait a minute, please!

...Oh? Monomi-chan? Why are you here? No one asked for you, you know?

I...I...!

Hm? Do you want in on the fun too?

Unbelievable. You actually want to put your incompetence on display at the school trial? I didn't think you'd take the M in 'Mascot' so seriously...

But who am I to refuse? I'm a very considerate big brother, so I'll give you special permission to participate!

Well, then. I'm going up ahead. Don't keep me waiting!

Re: Despair Syndrome

S...So... Where exactly are we supposed to go now?
I can't see a door or a vehicle anywhere...

He said there was a hidden entrance somewhere, didn't he?

A hidden entrance...?

Before looking for the hidden entrance, let's get everyone's additional comments, as always.

Ku... This is it... The battle to avenge Togami's death...!

Why don't we end this terrible prank... and go get dinner or something?

What's wrong, big-bro Hinata? Are you afraid?
You really are a big coward, aren't you?

A “powerful organization"... He suspected even my own home country...
But... For my homeland to join a conspiracy such as this... is unthinkable...

Dammit... I don't wanna go... Isn't there any way outta here?

Pekoyama... are you alright? You didn't seem to be feeling too well before...

N...No... There isn't any problem.
I am thankful for your consideration... but we have more important things to worry about right now.

Uyu... This isn't right... Why is this happening...?
W-W-W-Why was there a murder...?

You've noticed it too, haven't you, Hinata-kun? About Tanaka-kun...
So you saw it too...

I... I will...!

If we can't identify the culprit, we'll all be killed...

Rejoice... The human race is safe once more!

Muahahaha!

Feh... I have nothing to do with that fatso getting killed. I know nothing.

...Honestly. This is soooo tedious.

Why are we taking our time? Let's go in already!

In RPGs, a hidden entrance often leads underground.

But, this isn't a video game...

Byakuya-chan Byakuya-chan Byakuya-chan Byakuya-chan Byakuya-chan Byakuya-chan...

And with that thought in mind, let's see if we can find that secret entrance.

Music stops

* Rumble rumble rumble...! *

W...What's going on?! Something's shaking!!
I...It's dangewous, everyone! Pwease take cover!

Re: Mr. Monobear's Extracurricular Lesson

S...Something came out of that mountain!!

Don't tell me... this is how we're supposed to enter?

W...What is this ominous aura...?! It threatens to engulf even "Steel Red Elephant" Maga-G...!

Wow! This sure is weird and mysterious!

G...Gimme a break...! Seriously, gimme a break, will you...!

C'mon, guys, enough is enough... There isn't a shred of reality left in this place, is there?
I mean...

Music halts

It's impossible! How can a bunch of kids like us catch a culprit?!

Re: Despair-Syndrome

N...Not by endlessly complaining, that's for sure! You should act more like a man!

W...We came this far... We can only brace ourselves and keep going...
Yeah... It’s not exactly like we can run away, is it?
We have no choice but to keep going...

If everyone's mind is set... I'll try doing my best as well.

This game’s difficulty level is high... but I'm sure we can clear it together.

I stepped forward, my legs shaking with fear and nervousness, and climbed the escalator.

I couldn't think anymore...
If I tried to think... I'd probably end up running away...

I just fixed my eyes upward, and let the escalator carry me...

And then, when everyone was inside Monobear Rock...

Music stops

This is... an elevator!
I see... So this entire mountain just became an elevator!
That Monobear... doing whatever he wants again...
But... he went to the trouble of building all of that... Just how intent is he on toying with us?
We've been going down for a while now. This is just excessively deep, isn't it?
Yeah, sure is...

...An unpleasant noise reverberated inside my ears.

It was the noise of my own teeth chattering.

I closed my lips tightly, so the others won't hear it too.

And so, as the cacophonous elevator noise rang in our ears, we were carried even deeper underground...

And then, after a while, our descent came to an end...

...And the elevator doors slowly opened.

Ocean Breeze Dead End

Welcome, one and all!

So, what do you think? This is our school court! The special place that will decide you bastards' fate!

Feh, what the gently caress...?! Now you're going to lock us in this vulgar place...?!

You're mad! Stop loving with me, shithead!

Upupu... Go ahead, say whatever's on your mind! I'm used to complaints.

But, let's not waste any more time and electricity! Go sit in the seat your name is written on, you bastards!

It seemed everyone understood that was not the time to resist...

We did as Monobear ordered. Each of us went to their designated seat.

Now... We must expose the culprit who killed Togami.

"Super High-school Level Heir" Byakuya Togami...

He was rude and full of himself. He always looked down on others...

But he also had an amazing sense of responsibility.
He was our leader, seeking to put order where there was nothing but chaos.

And he...

Music fades out

...Was killed.

Tropical Despair

Is the person who killed him... among us?

It's unbelievable... There's no reason to believe it...

But... if it's true...

We must expose them, no matter the cost...

We have no other choice.

Sacrificing the culprit is the only way for us to survive...

And now, it begins...

A perilous school trial where hope and despair swirl together...

It begins.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah; I've been keeping silent but I think I know who it is now. The update really painted a couple culprits in my head so eager to see how the actual trial goes.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Oh gently caress, I remember that Mount Monomore from that promotional material we found early on in the first game's thread. I can't believe we found that that earl-

Gah!

...And yeah, skewer all-but confirmed to be the murder weapon, to no one's surprise.

Hanamura's trying to get everyone to give up on the trial. That would have been consistent with his behavior before the murder, but it's inconsistent with his declaration when they found the body. This only furthers my suspicions against him.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 9, 2013

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Uhh, it doesn't seem like the game won't let us enter the toilet after Nidai got out of it, so why didn't we?

It's also interesting that Gundam's newfound earring is not an Evidence Bullet, even though it's totally going to be the decisive evidence. Makes me wonder about the new mechanics in the court.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Ten bucks says it's not an evidence bullet, because it's just a prelude to the real key point of evidence. I'm betting that he got under the crawlspace from the bathroom. He'll probably let it slip during a machine-gun discussion, and we'll somehow use that to pin it on Souda. (I'm telling you, Souda's a murderer! I can see it in his eyes!)

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Well, I guess I have to officially eat some crow. The stabbing from under the floor theory does seem the most likely now.

And right now, Teruteru (that's Hanamura, right?) is topping my suspect list. Besides access to the skewers and some of the lodge...

orenronen posted:

No, that's impossible.
It's a gas range, but it's controlled electronically so it was also affected by the outage.

Gas range means pipes. Maybe you can get under the lodge from the kitchen.

edit: Eh, nah. It's gotta be the bathroom.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 9, 2013

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Interesting comments from our chief. Seems like he wants to avoid a trial completely, which seems a bit suspicious.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
Making a post of all the evidence bullets is fine, right? I kind of want to have it for the sake of reference.
Partly because I thought the Earring was already an evidence bullet.
It would be a good thing to have before the trial and I'd be happy to search and post them.

Edit: I've already got them together in case I'm allowed.

HangedManArcana fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 9, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
W...What is this ominous aura...?! It threatens to engulf even "Steel Red Elephant" Maga-G...!

Is that a reference to "What is this ominous light that threatens to engulf us?" from Tales of Symphonia?

I like how most people contributed, and that we didn't get to verify about the space under the lodge, that'll have to come out in testimony. No one had anything to say about the Fire Doors, though, and there's no evidence they were closed during the fire. Maybe someone will have to testify about that, but it would just be he said/she said.

Was that map the actual map from the game? No, maybe not, it's all in english, it was probably drawn for the thread. It's very detailed, it even has the fire doors.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

orenronen posted:

So, this is definitely where the goggles came from... I guess the culprit must have taken them.

quote:

So Togami really was standing pretty far away from that table...

It doesn’t seem plausible for him to have moved that far in pitch darkness...

Oh Hinata, you are not very good at this :(

And I have to say, I'm really starting to take a liking to Mahiru. She's been one of the most useful students in the investigation so far, and I love the way she chewed out Kuzuryuu here.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
There's pretty strong circumstantial evidence pointing to Nagito planting the knife and engineering the blackout. But since Togami seems to have been killed with a skewer, that might actually rule Nagito out as the actual murderer. Hmm.

Kuzuryuu's an obvious suspect from a character standpoint, but if Togami was stabbed from below, it doesn't seem like there's any way Kid Mafia could have been in position.

Right now I feel that Hanamura, Souda and Peko are the prime suspects. The bloody tablecloth had to have been dropped off by the actual murderer, and only those three had the opportunity to.

I imagine there's still a lot of new information to come, though.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I suspect that Gundam's story as to how he got his earring back is gonna blow this one wide open.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Yeah so Gundam found his earring. Which means he did find a way under the floorboards. And if we didn't get a chance to look at the bathroom, it means the actual room itself isn't relevant enough to warrant search. I'm guessing some way into the trial Gundam will explain where the secret passage is and my money is on the storage room. If that's so, then I think we can call it a done deal that Hanamura is the culprit.

Funnier explanation: Gundam sent his hamsters to retrieve the earring by using the tiny space in the outside shed.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

kidcoelacanth posted:

I suspect that Gundam's story as to how he got his earring back is gonna blow this one wide open.

Yeah; Nagito and Hinata both noticed it, so I'm expecting them to ask about it pretty quickly. Probably after going through stuff relating to the murder weapon and how it can't be the knife because it's too big for those wounds.

So, it looks like Togami was killed with a skewer from under the floorboards. Guess that means Hanamura did it (or is our most likely suspect, at least), though I'm curious as to where he hid it beforehand now.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
I just noticed something. In the pic with Nagito by the air conditioner, the cord for the lamp isn't visible, however in the drawing, it would've been. That's odd...

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

lotus circle posted:

Funnier explanation: Gundam sent his hamsters to retrieve the earring by using the tiny space in the outside shed.

I would love it if that came out on the cusp of a "big revelation". "Oh my gosh, there really is a way under the crawlspace!" and then there's four rounds of trial before Gundam reveals, "Huh? Oh I wasn't paying attention. I just found a magnet. Muhahahaha!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Yep, this update all but confirmed my theory that it's Hanamura. All the pieces are falling into place.

Looks like Gundam found a path under the floorboards to recover his earring, and that'll come out in testimony. I bet you money the path is in the storage room, and that Nagito knows about it.

Nanami can confirm that no one from the outside of the cabin could get under the floorboards, which removes Kuzuryuu as a suspect. Monomi herself can confirm that Nanami saw Kuzuryuu outside the cabin, and that Nanami didn't go back inside the cabin.

Fairly likely Peko was the one in the bathroom the whole time. Nidai's alibi is pretty solid and we'll have to figure out who was in the bathroom the whole time. Nagito obviously knows, and was trying to protect Peko's feelings earlier, but we'll get that confession from either him or Peko herself. That also removes her as a suspect.

Mikan's testimony confirms that the murder weapon was a long thin sharp implement: that is, a skewer. A skewer was, obviously, missing from the kitchen. There are a few possibilities for who did it, but the simplest explanation is that Hanamura had the opportunity to hide it somewhere.

Mahiru's map puts Souda in the dining hall, and most likely removes him from suspicion given where Togami died and the lack of weapons or opportunity for Souda. It also places Nagito next to the A/C and next to the knife table. It also places Hanamura behind the fire door and next to the storage room - which coincidentally is the straightest path to the knife table. We know there's a bloody sheet covering in the storage room, which means that the culprit had the opportunity to spend some time in there and discard evidence after killing Togami.

So my guess for the solution: Nagito was planning on killing someone when the AC went out and set up the knife under the table. Hanamura stumbles across Nagito's setup, puts 2 and 2 together, realizes what's going to happen. He sees the A/C's time setting and realizes HOW and WHEN it's going to happen. This snaps Hanamura out of denial. He realizes that he can use Nagito's attempt as an alibi for his own murder.

During the trial, Hanamura comes out with evidence that it was Nagito who killed Togami. And given how suspicious Nagito has been acting this entire chapter, and given that he DID set that poo poo up and WAS next to the knife table, Nagito will confess that, yes, he did it. But something doesn't add up, and Hinata pulls a Phoenix Wright and keeps on pushing until he figures out the details that aren't adding up.

It comes out that Hanamura was waiting for the power to blow to go and stab "someone" under the knife table when they were going to try for the knife. He was betting that it would be Nagito that he's stabbing, and didn't realize it would be Togami.

Cue villain breakdown.

I think that should cover all the details we've seen so far, except the note that was sent to Togami. No idea who did that.

Oh, one more thing - I think Nagito knows who did it, or at least has a healthy suspicion. He might be figuring that, well, if there's already a murder, maybe it's better to just have the murderer win the game instead of keeping on forcing friends to kill each other. He was acting very strangely after we inspected the storage room and suddenly had to go brood and calm down.

• Locked thread