Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Warning: Dangerous amounts of Anime ahead

"What is Disgaea?" I can hear you ask; the simple answer is it's a very well crafted SRPG where you lead a army of self-made demons on various goofy campaigns.

It's known for it's sub par voice acting (usually), exploding penguins, and it's somewhat clever dialogue that often makes fun of stereotypical JRPG themes, random pop culture references and a handful of groan worthy internet memes. This is a series that prides itself for never creating a fourth wall in the first place and stuffing as much content into a game as possible. The only real downside to it being the (up until recently) reused sprites that only had minor upgrades per game (I'll post a example of sprites per game just because.)

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (PS2, PSP, DS)

This game follows the exploits of the dark prince overlord of a Netherworld, Laharl who has awoken from a century long sleep by his Vassal Etna. Turns out while he was sleeping his unstoppable father choked on a pretzel and kicked it and now Laharl suddenly has to deal with demons that would want to murder him to become the overlord, and a deadly(?) angel assassin Flonne. After a few exchanges Flonne figures that maybe demons aren't really evil selfish assholes (despite Laharl's best efforts to prove otherwise) and sets off to prove her theory that demons are capable of emotions other then just being violent creatures. The story soon goes crazy and things go south fast.

Gameplay featured grid based combat and that's about it. It has a handful of "Puzzle" maps but it's relatively simple if not a little bit slow.

You could create just about any class you want from a large library of faceless minions ranging from typical wizards and thieves to shark dragons and disgruntled pumpkin people. If it's in the game and not a named character; you can unlock if for your own use and even make it stronger then actual story characters!

But then, here comes the biggest reason this game is loved, the final boss is level 100, normally in rpg's and the like this is absolutely absurd and the limit, but Disgaea as a whole chooses to go well above that and let you go up to level 9999. It doesn't even stop there as you can even reincarnate your characters lowering them to level 1 (and a different class) and have them keep a percentage of stats. If you stick around for the postgame of the series you'll have a level 1 unit capable of killing the final boss by just blinking at it. It's absurd.

But, why stop at leveling up your characters? Why not level up your weapons, armor, gum, or whatever item you can get your hands on? In disgaea you can dive into for randomly generated dungeons, where the deeper you get into the items levels (depending on the rarity of said item) the stronger it gets, making it possible to turn a butter knife into a broadsword. Only really dangerous aspect of this is the rarer the weapon the harder the monsters inside it will be; and all monsters level up based on what floor you're on.

That's sadly about where the innovation in Disgaea ends a brilliant entry into the world of SRPG's though.

DS Exclusives and Additions
+ New cameo characters
+ Online wi-fi battles
+ Entire Second Story mode staring Laharl's vassal Etna
- Less voice acting
- Lags a bit and moves even slower than the original.

PSP Exclusives and Additions
+ Fully Voiced
+ Entire Second Story mode staring Laharl's vassal Etna.
+ DLC characters from the second game and beyond

Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories (PS2, PSP)

Storyline behind this game is a overlord of another Netherworld has invaded a rather peaceful land and has begun changing all humans into various demons, forcing them to be his servants and work for him. A small family in a simple town of Veldime stand to stop this by training the last full human, Adell so that he may battle the evil Overlord Zenon. His family prepares and goes through with a binding summoning ritual to call forth Zenon... ends up kidnapping Zenon's daughter Rozalin on accident. The quest then spirals into him trying to take her home (as he doesn't believe in kidnapping) so he can kill her dad and break the curse over his village, family, and world, idiots of all flavors getting in his way as he soon begins to grow close to his "hostage".

Gameplay changes
-Several new classes and monster types you can create, with new unlockables.
-Jury sessions, you can be arrested for murdering people too hard, being nigh unstoppable and destroying the poo poo out of everything,and various other silly things. The thing is, as the world is run by demons this is a good thing, and if you go through each session you'll actually get stronger and have more options in battle for your infamous behavior.
-Bills, this was in Disgaea 1 but it was rather crude, in D2 you can pass bills to give you more exp in your next fight, level up enemies for more exp, make enemies weaker if you're having too much trouble, go to bonus maps to find cameo characters and several other things
-Reference onslaught, not sure if I should count this but all items have jokes on them, where most games talk about how "This sword has runes from eldergods" etc on it, this game prefers to fill that with jokes, Wizard hats request you to put on your robe as well, beserker gloves love you like a truck and several other small gags. From this point on the Disgaea series will never take it's weapons or skill names seriously.
-The Land of Carnage is added. It's a pain to get to but the game offers all the maps from the story only remixed to be insanely difficult; though granting better loot and rewards.

PSP Exclusive
+ A second storyline telling the tale of everyone's favorite anti-hero, Axel
+ DLC characters and missions (some totally free)
+ A wide range of features that were in 3. You can now turn monsters into weapons and various other things
+ More post game content and cameo's from Disgaea 3

Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice (PS3, Vita)

The game features super smart kid genius Mao who lives in a netherworld that's run as a school for demons in different dimensions, his father being the overlord ruler of said school. One day Mao was playing a video game on his portable system... only for his dad to step on it ruining his hours of hard work in the game, this is enough to motivate him to stay home and look up as many comics and games as possible so he can learn how to be a super hero so he can murder his dad. One day a young hero named Almaz wanders into the school as he heard a princess he likes was trapped in there (she wasn't), and despite being a coward he aspired to help her... Sadly he's captured by Mao who steals his actual in-game title of "hero" and makes Almaz a demon who then can't leave, after a small bit Mao wonders why this isn't working then he learns he made a mistake, the title was "Wannabe hero" and he then becomes desperate to get his title back, dragging classmates and such along with him through his heart (literally) revealing his deepest thoughts that he's kept locked away revealing the true history of his dad and such.

If that sounds bad it's because it is. Disgaea 3 easily has the worst plot of all 3 due to people thinking Disgaea 2's story was more toned down in humor. Instead of working on it they tried to copy/paste Laharl and... it just doesn't go well. You could skip all the cutscenes if you wanted and wouldn't lose much.

Gameplay Changes
- Your monster type characters can now team up with human/demon types to transform into weapons for them, exploding penguins can become guns, dragons turn into swords, gollems turn into axes etc.
- Removing some classes that overlap with each other, adding new ones in their place
- Pirating, now you can go into items pillaging small innocent villages that reside in weapons, gaining newer items in your items
- Class system, you can assign your characters into clubs that give your units special perks, such as having your favorite four characters sit in the corners of your classroom to get extra exp, set some classmates by them and have them join a club that steals a portion of exp for themselves etc.
- Plenty of cameo and main characters returning from past NIS games/concepts

Vita Exclusives
+ All DLC from the PS3 games are included. There's a LOT to do now.
+ Raspberyl mode; a 4 part DLC chapter is included
+ There's 4 new stories all together in the post game featuring different leads and even introduced new characters as a whole.
+ Fuka and Desco from 4 show up and you can even make your own Desco units!
+ A handful of new weapons are introduced
+ Generic units you create have their own unique abilities now making Generics even more useful (previously only story characters had unique abilities)
+ You can now combine units; if a warrior absorbs a mage the warrior will now have access to the mages abilities.

Disgaea 4 (PS3, Vita)

Finally getting new high quality sprites Disgaea 4's plot thankfully proves that Disgaea 3 was a sad fluke.

The story follows Valvatorez, a former vampire tyrant who refuses to drink human blood. He currently works as a Prinny instructor and it's his job to train the souls of the corrupt so they can reincarnate after paying off their sins. One day while working with his comrade, Fenrich (a werewolf), the prinny Valvatorez is training are kidnapped and sentenced to death! This leads the promise obsessed vampire into a rather... interesting plot about the corruption of the government he works for and his violent takeover.

Gameplay Changes
- New Classes to pick from. Some old ones are gone but the newer ones fill in the blanks really well
- A new map system; in your HQ you can build structures to give your units effects in battle as well as position things so that shops have different items
- Online map making; though the English version is severely neutered. Using a handful of shapes you can build maps and use your team as enemies for people to fight.
- Pirate crafting. You can now set up your own item world pirates and have them go head to head with other teams. Includes a leaderboard
- poo poo ton of DLC characters; as well as a 4-chapter story focusing on Fuka and Desco; two of the main characters.

Vita Exclusives
+Generics now have unique abilities similar to D3's vita release making them a lot more important
+All DLC from the Ps3 version is included, this means all the bonus modes, ship parts, and stories are there.
+A new story featuring Fuka and Desco going to the past to witness the era of Tyrant Valvatorez.
+Spells now reach Peta strength
+Stronger items lurk in the post game
+Reworked entrance to the Land of Carnage and general tweaks to make the post game less of a slog.
+Added Disgaea D2's cheat shop!! Holy cow! Adjusts enemy levels, give yourself more exp/mana/money for no good reason n more!
+:siren:There's a bug with the Baciel monster classes English voice. If they say a certain line the game locks up for some unknown reason. If you see one in your game switch over to Japanese voices in the settings menu:siren:

Disgaea D2 (PS3)

:siren:SAVE OFTEN, THERE'S A BUG WITH FIRE ELEMENT ATTACKS THAT CAN FREEZE THE GAME:siren:
Disgaea D2 is the first true sequel to a Disgaea game, which means it's easy to confuse people with that title. Disgaea D2 follows Laharl shortly after he takes the throne of Overlord and his struggles to rule- including it's first crisis as Angels begin to vanish and the netherworld is pinned for it, to his own strange transformations into a girl and more. NIS created this game as filler if we're going to call a spade a spade. In the process of making Disgaea 5 the producers decided they'd make this game to test a few things and see how well the public reacts to them. That said, it's still a good game- it's just a slight bit different then what's become the norm in the series.

Gameplay Changes
- A new weapon class entirely is introduced. You can now use summoning books.
- A relationship system is introduced. There's no dating or anything stupid like that but the longer you have units help each other the more they'll use protect commands in battle (take a shot for a friend) or join in on the attack
- You can now mount monster class units to combine strengths and use tag-attacks
- Generic units have traits you can pick from that alter their stats in various ways or how they work.
- Most Disgaea 1 monsters return for the first time in years, as well as a handful of new ones
- The Cheat Shop is introduced, you can now adjust how much exp/mana/money you get
- Reworked balance, the game's staple status elements are now absolutely devastating in every situation and the defense stat is cranked up to kind of obscene levels in a attempt to fix complaints about DEF not mattering in the post game of previous Disgaea titles.
- No more custom maps

Well this sounds interesting, do I need to know anything for the later games or can I dive on in?

Nope! Though honestly if you have any interest in the older games it's a great idea to start with them. The series improves a lot as it goes on and if you start at 4 and go back to 1 it WILL be hard due to how slow 1 is. Also; as the games progress more and more features are added while old ones are rarely taken away; so keep in mind if you start late some things you're used to may be totally different in older games. The most recent entry and "best" of the games for example would be the Vita version of 3. Ultimately though you'll miss a few running gags but other then that not much, just know that Laharl is usually a low end super boss that'll show up in every post game, always demanding to murder your character so he can become the main character of his series again, and that Asagi will never have her own game.

Asagi?

In early times before Disgaea 2 came out (and a few other spinoff games) a female character named Asagi was created, she was supposed to have her own game and it was eventually scrapped, though the guys at NIS decided they liked her to much to get rid of her entirely, and from Makai Kingdom (another NIS game) and forward she's appeared in every game searching for a quest to call her own, her state of mind slightly more damaged each game she shows up in to the point where she actually kills herself in one of the Prinny spinoff games, she's one of the more famous running gags of NIS and she totally demands your respect. After you beat any NIS game Disgaea 2 forward expect this character to show up lost, confused, or downright insane.

:siren:Disgaea 5 announced:siren:
No news other then it's Japanese logo but it's exclusive to the PS4

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEGGS
Nov 21, 2004

Spoony Bard!
I'm reminded I need to finish out Disgaea 4 post game stuff at some point.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Everyone was saying that D3Vita is the best out there. I don't know much about it, but what makes it better than D4 mechanics-wise?

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

I've never played a Disgaea game and people were saying D3Vita was going free is it still pretty good despite "plot sucks" or should I just pass

Like what is it like? If I enjoyed P4G would I enjoy it or what

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sonata Mused posted:

Everyone was saying that D3Vita is the best out there. I don't know much about it, but what makes it better than D4 mechanics-wise?

It's mostly because Disgaea 4 endgame is a punishing slog that removed some of the shortcuts that D3 (Vita and regular) has.

Lavastine
Jul 16, 2007

winvirus posted:

I've never played a Disgaea game and people were saying D3Vita was going free is it still pretty good despite "plot sucks" or should I just pass

P4G is really nothing like these games at all. If you've played a fire emblem or final fantasy tactics those are both much more similar. It's a really wacky and zany strategy game(think chess pieces as characters on weird boards for levels) that has lots of rpg mechanics. It's going to be free though, and the gameplay is extremely fun and addicting*. I'd seriously recommend giving it a chance.

*for people who like numbers alot.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Man, I'm going to have to buy a Ps3 for this aren't I.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

winvirus posted:

If you like SRPGs (games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Devil Survivor, Tactics Ogre or Front Mission to name a few) at all, you really can't go wrong with Disgaea 3 Vita for free. If you never played a SRPG before, I think if you have the patience for something like P4G, you have a solid chance of being the kind of person that'd enjoy Disgaea games. I fall squarely in the "Disgaea 3's setting and story are both godawful" camp, but the main campaign is extremely well balanced – you can beat it without ever grinding once if you stick with story characters – and it has the best endgame of the series. It strikes the right balance between obsessive grinding, spergy number crunching and shortcuts to make it all tolerable. If you really can't tolerate the story, don't worry, Disgaea 3 is modern enough that almost every story sequence is skippable. I say go for it.

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 9, 2013

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've only played the first game, so seeing a real sequel for it gets me excited. Do we know if Captain Gordon is still present? They show him and Jennifer in the Disgaea 1 parts, but nothing in the new game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And I'd say at least give the story a shot. I didn't think it was anything amazing, but I didn't really hate it either, and it had its moments.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sonata Mused posted:

I should probably make a timeline; but it takes every good thing from 4 and adds it it 4's already much-better mechanics. Your generic units now have attacks specific to them (cleric only; warrior only etc) there's a absolute mountain of content; and the extreme post game doesn't make you hate yourself. It's the biggest and most indepth one out of all of em currently. And it's portable!

Disgaea D2 looks to be taking the crown though.

winvirus posted:

Here's a old screenshot of my Adell that I think sums up Disgaea pretty well.

It's a board game type deal where you and the computer take turns moving around and unleashing ridiculously over the top attacks at each other that only get stronger as the game goes on until it just gets silly. It uses different terrain and "geo panels" to create mazes or puzzles for you to solve as you take on more and more enemies.

The post games then quickly become damage races where enemies will have stats that; quite literally don't fit into their borders anymore (numbers will go over the character portraits hilariously) and it just keeps going until you fight the final post game boss who usually has cheating stats and gets stronger each time you fight him :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 9, 2013

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I have a question about weapon mastery in Disgaea 3, in contrast to the other games it only shows a list like: "This character is proficient with: Sword, Spear, Axe."

Does that mean that character will handle all of those equally well, or are the actual compatibility levels hidden now?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I actually like Disgaea 3's story/dialogue more than Disgaea 2's; they were both kinda dull but at least D3 made me laugh.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Mithaldu posted:

I have a question about weapon mastery in Disgaea 3, in contrast to the other games it only shows a list like: "This character is proficient with: Sword, Spear, Axe."

Does that mean that character will handle all of those equally well, or are the actual compatibility levels hidden now?

With regards to skills, Weapon Mastery is not a modifier to how fast you earn weapon type EXP. In fact, there is no weapon type EXP at all. What a character's weapon proficiency listing tells you is what types of weapons' skills that character can purchase with the mana they earn from killing enemies. If we take your "This character is proficient with: Sword, Spear, Axe." example (which I assume to be Mao), this character can learn Sword, Spear and Axe skills by spending mana. You don't need to use the specific weapon whose skills you want to learn for this. Unfortunately, though, having proficiency in a weapon doesn't mean you can learn all of that weapon's skills, at least if you're playing the PS3 version. If you want a character to learn a skill it cannot learn at the Skill Trainer, you have to use the Class World for that.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

With regards to skills, Weapon Mastery is not a modifier to how fast you earn weapon type EXP. In fact, there is no weapon type EXP at all. What a character's weapon proficiency listing tells you is what types of weapons' skills that character can purchase with the mana they earn from killing enemies. If we take your "This character is proficient with: Sword, Spear, Axe." example (which I assume to be Mao), this character can learn Sword, Spear and Axe skills by spending mana. You don't need to use the specific weapon whose skills you want to learn for this. Unfortunately, though, having proficiency in a weapon doesn't mean you can learn all of that weapon's skills, at least if you're playing the PS3 version. If you want a character to learn a skill it cannot learn at the Skill Trainer, you have to use the Class World for that.

I'm playing on the Vita, is that version different on that, or did you simply mean you only know that for the PS3?

Also, thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. Now i know i can just hand my dudes whatever without worrying about being ~inefficient~. :) (That is actually a really nice change in contrast to earlier ones.)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Getting a Vita for Christmas means I finally can play Disgaea 3! I'm not really concerned with the story, I mean, I go through entire playthroughs of Star Ocean 3 without viewing a single cutscene. Is the gameplay still good? I hear it's good. I want to run my Vita's battery into the ground.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Haha, I never should have made the last Disgaea megathread since soon after I had a complete crash with that series and never wanted to see it again, so thanks for resurrecting it in this form. Maybe I'll check out D2, but only if it can do something about the massive eyestrain and disorientation I get especially in item world, from the vast vertical distances and tiny horizontal distances on most of those random maps that make it impossible to know what units are actually next to what other units.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 9, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Getting a Vita for Christmas means I finally can play Disgaea 3! I'm not really concerned with the story, I mean, I go through entire playthroughs of Star Ocean 3 without viewing a single cutscene. Is the gameplay still good? I hear it's good. I want to run my Vita's battery into the ground.

Whatever you do don't play 4 before 3. It's really hard to go back to those lovely sprites.

Also you might want to hold off buying 3 since it's supposed to be free for PSN plus members next week.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

Is there any continuity between games? Like, would it benefit me to play D1/D2 before diving into D3vita or

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

winvirus posted:

Is there any continuity between games? Like, would it benefit me to play D1/D2 before diving into D3vita or
Not usually, and in fact the way the world is structured seems to change constantly, like there are multiple dark realms and and multiple earths and so on. Characters from previous games often show up as guest characters though.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'll admit I bought Hour of Darkness for a fairly absurd amount of money in a "last paycheck I can blow before I move out" situation whereby I snapped up all the highest rated PS2 games I hadn't played to occupy me for those first months of self sufficiency. Never got round to playing Disgaea but the phrase " shark dragons and disgruntled pumpkin people " is kinda making me want to go fish out my copy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

winvirus posted:

There's a couple of references but the DLC/bonus characters are references to all sorts of NIS games, not just Disgaea, and the main plot has like no actual continuity.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

I'll admit I bought Hour of Darkness for a fairly absurd amount of money in a "last paycheck I can blow before I move out" situation whereby I snapped up all the highest rated PS2 games I hadn't played to occupy me for those first months of self sufficiency. Never got round to playing Disgaea but the phrase " shark dragons and disgruntled pumpkin people " is kinda making me want to go fish out my copy.
You're better off playing a later version, honestly. Hour of Darkness had the best story (up until Disgaea 4 anyway), but its just so primitive mechanically and the postgame content is just really weak. Its a really early entry in NIS' exploration of this kind of weird metastrategy genre, and they didn't really get everything nailed down until Disgaea 2.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
The best thing about the Disgaea games is that becoming overpowered is a good and valid route through the game, I hate all manner of xp-penalties or the like in other games for overleveled/geared characters.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Speaking of D3V, is there a quick way through the story levels? Early grinding spots, etc? I liked D3 and all, but I don't really want to spend too much time on the story stuff, I just wanna wreck face with Gig and Desco. I think I'm towards the end of chapter two, judging by my trophy list.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's viewed to be the best Disgaea to date outside of said story.

DrManiac posted:

Whatever you do don't play 4 before 3. It's really hard to go back to those lovely sprites.

Also you might want to hold off buying 3 since it's supposed to be free for PSN plus members next week.

I swear they slack on making new sprites and the like because they're so busy making so many system changes and adding new mechanics. Can't wait to see them run the Disgaea 4 sprites into the ground :allears:

winvirus posted:

Yes; but it all revolves around Laharl's group and his cameo appearances and Flonne can be confusing if you don't play Raspberyl Mode in 3, but nothing too important.
Flonne spoilers to save you the effort: First game she's a angel, up through 3 she's a fallen angel, at the end of 3's bonus mode she goes back to Celestia and becomes a arc angel and... that's where we sit with her

kirbysuperstar posted:

Speaking of D3V, is there a quick way through the story levels? Early grinding spots, etc? I liked D3 and all, but I don't really want to spend too much time on the story stuff, I just wanna wreck face with Gig and Desco. I think I'm towards the end of chapter two, judging by my trophy list.

Not really until you get to the map "Corpse Eaters" near the end of the game (I think it's in chapter 7 or 8). After you beat it once normally if you try to replay it it loads up a level grinding map with enemies that stand up exp panels. Pass a few stronger enemy bills till' they're level 99; and when you kill them you'll get the same amount of exp as killing a level 300 monster and you'll rocket yourself up the ranks :v:

Just try to make sure you have Big Bang (a fist skill that covers 3x3) or something that can wipe out a mob of dudes.

Alternately: Spend any time in the item world. Not only will you unlock monsters you probably shouldn't have yet; but if you take the time to fight stuff you'll gain levels really fast as well as get some awesome gear. Disgaea 3 Vita doesn't punish game overs either; so if you wipe you just get sent to the hospital.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 9, 2013

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I bought Disgaea 2 (the PS2 classic, as I lack either a PSP or a Vita) on a whim with the $10 of PSN credit I got last month. What's the best way to go about playing this if I've never played a Disgaea game before?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not really until you get to the map "Corpse Eaters" near the end of the game (I think it's in chapter 7 or 8). After you beat it once normally if you try to replay it it loads up a level grinding map with enemies that stand up exp panels.

Oh, the one with the shrooms? Yeah I think that's the main one I used on the PS3. Bollocks. Oh well, at least I'll have Champloo to help me get through this, BOOM!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I bought Disgaea 2 (the PS2 classic, as I lack either a PSP or a Vita) on a whim with the $10 of PSN credit I got last month. What's the best way to go about playing this if I've never played a Disgaea game before?
Don't worry about it, just jump in. These games dole out their mechanics pretty slowly over the course of the story, and you never really have to dig deep into them until the postgame. For now just gently caress around with whatever seems interesting. If you run into anything confusing hit up the wiki or ask in this thread.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Honestly just play it as the game introduces new mechanics to you.

A few suggestions to make life easier though; reincarnation is always a good idea. At around level 10 or so you'll unlock the next tier of warriors and the like, go turn your tier 1 units into them. You'll have to grind back up the levels but it'll be way worth it.

Create a mage/witch and have him/her learn a spell or two; then reincarnate them into a cleric. The clerics gain woefully small amounts of exp from healing, and don't learn any offensive abilities. Though if you have a mage reincarnate into one they'll be able to use the spells they learned from a previous class and will actually be able to multitask a bit.

Alternatively (and this will make more sense when you try it out and it only applies to Disgaea 2) any unit you have can create another unit. The unit they create will be considered a student. So using the same example; you have a cleric create a witch; if they stand side by side on the map the cleric can use any skill the witch she created can use... and if used enough the cleric will learn the skill for herself.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I remember when I first played 1, immediately after the Japanese launch. I didn't know what the gently caress and no one else did either (other than features carried over from La Pucelle), and on top of that my Japanese reading was still really rough. Me and my friend discovered the core features by pure trial, error, and induction.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I really want to play the later Disgaea games, but don't care for more consoles. D2 is a lot of fun and obsoletes D1 in maybe every single thing except pirates.
I suppose ZHP is off topic?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Pick whichever characters you like best and go with it. If you ever get stuck, try the Item world for some grinding/equipment/cash to gear your party.
I wouldn't suggest reincarnating party members until you find a nice solid place to level them back up.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Played the poo poo out of disgaea 1 and 2 both on ps2 and psp. Finally just bought a ps3 from samart and ordered a copy of D3!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Scalding Coffee posted:

I really want to play the later Disgaea games, but don't care for more consoles. D2 is a lot of fun and obsoletes D1 in maybe every single thing except pirates.
I suppose ZHP is off topic?

Nah go nuts. The last Disgaea thread kind of talked about Makai Kingdoms and all the other one offs so don't see a reason to change it. Seeing as ZHP's spiritual sequel is coming out soon as well will need some place to talk about it anyway :v:v

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
If I really liked Fire Emblem, FFT, etc, is there any reason to try Disgaea other then autism and more of the same?

I mean, I don't have 20 hours a week to play games or anything but I like SRPGs.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Anatharon posted:

If I really liked Fire Emblem, FFT, etc, is there any reason to try Disgaea other then autism and more of the same?

I mean, I don't have 20 hours a week to play games or anything but I like SRPGs.

Yeah go on ahead. Disgaea's structured to cater to everyone really. The main plotline requires almost no real grinding and you don't have to min/max or anything; the post game bonus content (which is usually just as long as the main game) can be totally ignored.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nah go nuts. The last Disgaea thread kind of talked about Makai Kingdoms and all the other one offs so don't see a reason to change it. Seeing as ZHP's spiritual sequel is coming out soon as well will need some place to talk about it anyway :v:v

I was just about to ask about some of the other one-offs. There are quite a few TRPG non-Disgaea Nippon Ichi games at this point. What are some of the better ones, if I'm judging by a standard of "I want to play a sweet Disgaea game"? I did enjoy Makai Kingdoms pretty well.

In particular, I'm into games where I can take a really lovely no-name level 0 character and build them up with an absurd degree of customization & progression.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah go on ahead. Disgaea's structured to cater to everyone really. The main plotline requires almost no real grinding and you don't have to min/max or anything; the post game bonus content (which is usually just as long as the main game) can be totally ignored.
It's hard to call it bonus content when it's basically the second half of the game. Is the upside down castle in Castlevania SOTN bonus content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

XboxPants posted:

I was just about to ask about some of the other one-offs. There are quite a few TRPG non-Disgaea Nippon Ichi games at this point. What are some of the better ones, if I'm judging by a standard of "I want to play a sweet Disgaea game"? I did enjoy Makai Kingdoms pretty well.

In particular, I'm into games where I can take a really lovely no-name level 0 character and build them up with an absurd degree of customization & progression.
That's kind of what ZHP is all about. What Disgaea does to SRPGs, ZHP does for roguelikes.

Check out Phantom Brave too, its not NIS' greatest game but the mechanics are really interesting. Its all about accumulating items, rocks, trees, skulls, etc, and turning them into characters.

• Locked thread