Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
:frogsiren:Updated 6/12! Bonus Video: Apartments and Races:frogsiren:

No Spoilers, Please

On August 14, 2012, Square-Enix took a massive risk and published a game that had been dropped by Activision-Blizzard as a waste of money. Starting out as a sequel to a failing franchise, passing through years of development, and coming out as something far different, we wound up with one of the most atmospheric and entertaining games of the year.

Sleeping Dogs, United Front Games' love poem to Hong Kong, started life as a new title called Black Lotus before being changed to True Crime: Hong Kong under Activision-Blizzard. Announced in 2009, the game ran over budget and racked up development time, leading to Activision-Blizzard dropping it from their lineup in 2011 without having had much effort put into promoting it.

Thankfully, the story doesn't end there, as Square Enix announced they had picked up the game only six months later. A quick name change later, as A-B still owned the rights to True Crime, and Square Enix began advertising a brand new game, promising open world environments and flashy melee combat to go with a unique setting and a gritty undercover-cop story. Hype built quickly leading into August, and Sleeping Dogs released to critical praise and shot to the top ten of multiple best-seller lists worldwide.

I aim to show off why that is.

Sleeping Dogs is one of my favorite games, period. No other game I've played has had such fantastic atmosphere juxtaposed with a well-written drama and a wonderfully entertaining combat system. Even the driving feels good, cars having just enough weight to make them feel fun without being obnoxious. Supported by quality, frequently-released DLC (including a number of free outfit packages and inexpensive mission packs, and a full-size story DLC with a Halloween theme) and a very well-done PC version, Sleeping Dogs carries its strengths forward- and with still more new DLC on the horizon promising more entertaining brawls and Wei Shen being Wei Shen, the game shows little sign of slowing down.

Episode List

Video 1: That Pair of Legs Protruding From That Shutter (With JossiRossi)
Bonus Video 1: Hazing Reversal
Bonus Video 2: Let's Play Dressup
Video 2: Relaxation (With JossiRossi)
Gift "Art": Speedy Porky's Delivery (Thanks JossiRossi!)
Video 3: Investigations (With JossiRossi)
Video 4: Hotline Hong Kong (With Instant Grat)
Bonus Video 3: Wei Shen IN Burnout Paradise 2
Bonus Video 4: Narrow Spaces
Bonus Video 5: I Just Want A Bus
Video 5: The Best Move (with JossiRossi)
Bonus Video 6: The Best Way To Clear Drug Busts
Bonus Video 7: Psych Evaluation
Video 6: Anger Management (with JossiRossi)
Bonus Video 8: Fight Club: Kennedy Town
Bonus Video 9: Fight Club: Aberdeen
Bonus Video 10: Fight Club: Central
Video 7: Karaoke (with JossiRossi)
Video 8: Dumbest Gang in Hong Kong (with YourAverageJoe)
Bonus Video 11: The Karaoke From Video 8p
Video 9: Crazy Motherfuckers and Choir Boys (with Amabree)
Bonus Video 12: I Got An Outfit
Video 10: The Worst Wei To Do Things (with Trigramatic)
Video 11 Unedited: Terrible People (with JossiRossi)
Video 11: Uncle Po (with JossiRossi)
Video 12: Side Missions (with Novalogic)
Video 12B: Exhausted in Hong Kong (with Rumrusher and Steak Flavored Gum)
Video 13 Unedited: Oh my God, Paper Lion (with Paper Lion)
Video 13: Family (with Paper Lion)
Video 14 Unedited: FinalGamer Can't Draw (with FinalGamer)
Video 14: The Wedding (with FinalGamer)
Video 15: Racing and Revenge (with YourAverageJoe)
Video 16: Meet The New Boss (with JossiRossi)
Video 17: Justice (with JossiRossi)
Video 18: Initiation (with JossiRossi)
Video 19: Poor Jackie (with JossiRossi)
Video 20: Paging Dr. Shen (with JossiRossi)
Video 21: At Least They're In A Hospital (with JossiRossi)
Video 22: King Me (with JossiRossi)
Video 22 Unedited: King Me (Uncut) (with JossiRossi)
Video 23: Real Men Can't Sing (with JossiRossi)
Video 24: Cars and Women (with JossiRossi)
Bonus Video 13: Apartments and Races

[b]Art and Things

McKilligan

Amabree

James Rossi

YourAverageJoe

Tin Tim
Don't judge

The Mask of Sanity

Clayren

Rumrusher

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

I guess I'll fix the images later, considering I'm a lazy piece of poo poo who forgot to save them :v:

Characters

:cop:Wei Shen:devil:
Undercover cop and Hong Kong native, Wei Shen has returned to his home after living in California to undertake a special assignment- infiltrate the Sun On Yee triads through his old connections, and bring down their leader, known as the Dragonhead.

:devil:Triads:devil:

"Uncle" Po
The dragonhead. The chairman. The leader of the Sun On Yee triad, a vicious manipulator, and a strong proponent of honor and mutual respect within the triad. Currently injured following the Wedding.

Mrs. Chu
Winston's mother, owner of the Golden Koi restaurant and a fearful person to cross. Mrs. Chu is rarely seen without her trusty meat cleaver, and is perhaps the only person outside of the upper echelons of the Triad that Winston (or Wei) is afraid of.

Winston Chu
Leader of the Water Street Gang, red pole (lieutenant) in the Sun On Yee Triads. Deceased.

Jackie Ma
Childhood friend of Wei and low-ranking member of the Water Street Gang, Jackie provides Wei with a link to the Triads.

Sam "Dogeyes" Lin
Leader of a rival gang within the Sun On Yee and currently clashing with Winston's Water Street Gang. Also indirectly responsible for the death of Wei's sister. Deceased.

:cop:Cops:cop:

Superintendent Thomas Pendrew
Thomas Pendrew, hardline Superintendent of the Hong Kong Police Department and personal overseer of the undercover operation to take down the Sun On Yee.

Inspector Jade Teng
Jade Teng is a lead investigator in the HKPD, and is responsible for investigating drug rackets and gang violence among other criminal activities.

Raymond Mak
Raymond is an HKPD officer assigned the task of working with Wei as his handler.

Police Documents

To be fixed later.

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 20, 2014

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:pcgaming:Miscellaneous Stupid Bullshit Done On The Side:pcgaming:

The Big 7/23 Stream
The Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed block that started the stream off, with E-Tank, Ser Drunkal Von Sexburger, and Trigramatic.
The Fanfiction Reading that nearly ended the stream before it could really begin, still with E-Tank, Ser Drunkal Von Sexburger, and Trigramatic.
The Borderlands 2: Tiny Tina DLC segment, with E-Tank and Ser Drunkal Von Sexburger.

The Great Grand Theft Auto San Andreas Marathon Stream

The Prestream (with Trigramatic and E-Tank)
Video 1 (with mostly Trigramatic)
Video 2 (with Trigramatic and E-Tank)
Video 3 (with Trigramatic and E-Tank)
Video 4 (with Trigramatic and E-Tank)
Video 5 (with Trigramatic and E-Tank)
Video 6 (with Trigramatic and E-Tank)

Various Stream Recording Stuff

Karaoke Dogs (with E-Tank)
Miss Popularity, For Posterity (1) (with E-Tank, YourAverageJoe, and Toffile)
Miss Popularity, For Posterity (2) (with E-Tank, YourAverageJoe, and Toffile)
Miss Popularity, For Posterity (3) (with E-Tank, YourAverageJoe, and Toffile)

Damnation Testing
The First drat Test (with, and largely because of, JossiRossi)
The Second drat Test (with, and largely because of, JossiRossi)
The Last drat Test (with, and largely because of, JossiRossi)

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 5, 2013

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
You know listening to the commentary it really seems like we just don't like each other too much, but that is not true!

We despise each other.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

JossiRossi posted:

You know listening to the commentary it really seems like we just don't like each other too much, but that is not true!

We despise each other.

This isn't true. We spend a lot of time trashing each other's LPs, but we love to sit and talk and curse at each other.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Just got done watching the first ep and am already hooked.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Sweet, I was hoping this would get LP'd soon. If this game stays as good as it seems so far I'll probably pick it up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I wanted to make jokes about how you are a crazy sociopath and a bad driver who rides Horzes but then you threw a guy through a box full of broken glass and I couldn't make jokes. All I can do is love this game.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

Just got done watching the first ep and am already hooked.

:woop: Glad to hear it. The future episodes will be shorter, but I didn't really want to cut up this big intro segment that gets you into the environment.

biosterous posted:

Sweet, I was hoping this would get LP'd soon. If this game stays as good as it seems so far I'll probably pick it up.

It's amazing and you should pick it up immediately.

MassRayPer posted:

I wanted to make jokes about how you are a crazy sociopath and a bad driver who rides Horzes but then you threw a guy through a box full of broken glass and I couldn't make jokes. All I can do is love this game.

This is nothing. Some of the later environmental moves involve table saws.

And car engines.

This game is amazing. :allears:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chocolate Donuts posted:

This is nothing. Some of the later environmental moves involve table saws.

And car engines.

This game is amazing. :allears:

There were crazier things in that very same video, but there is something about a box full of glass that just stands out.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Oh wow, that's Naz in the opening cutscene. I didn't know the game had Wei Shen in contact with him right from the start. (not a spoiler IMO)

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've been meaning to replay this game for a while now, but never had the time. Now I can watch it while I eat! Thanks, Chocolate Donuts!

Seriously, this is the best game I've played in a long time. The mechanics are almost all really fun, the soundtrack is good, and the atmosphere is perfect. If anyone reading this is on the fence about buying it, do it. Do it now.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Nice first episode! I really loved this game. Even after all the missions were over I would still do random things or play rear end in a top hat simulator. I'm so bad at the chase sequences though. Looking forward to more.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

OutOfPrint posted:

I've been meaning to replay this game for a while now, but never had the time. Now I can watch it while I eat! Thanks, Chocolate Donuts!

Seriously, this is the best game I've played in a long time. The mechanics are almost all really fun, the soundtrack is good, and the atmosphere is perfect. If anyone reading this is on the fence about buying it, do it. Do it now.
Hell, I like it so much that I've bought it for both PC and Xbox 360.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Yesss :allears:

Sleeping Dogs is one of my favorite games of all time (for those on the fence, loving buy it already because it's amazing), and I've been looking forward to this LP since I saw it in the sandcastle a while back. Actually worked on some test videos for an LP of my own when this one was MIA for several months, but I guess I can scrap those now.

Will you be doing the story DLC?

edit: Why aren't you punching the dudes in the counter tutorial? Beating them up after countering has no effect on anything really, but it at least makes the segment more entertaining.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
I'm highly excited for this LP, as I've heard nothing but awesome things about this game.

As a suggestion, is there any way you can turn the volume of the game itself up? You guys have been pretty good about not talking over the cutscenes, but there's an awful lot of dialogue and sound ambiance that goes on during the actual gameplay and I basically couldn't make any of it out during the first video.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I remember a while after I rented RE6 and didn't like it, I went back to the store to rent something else. I narrowed my choice down to Sleeping Dogs or Assassin's Creed 3. I really wish I'd picked up Sleeping Dogs. :(

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
Sweet been waiting for this since I saw it in the Sandcastle. DOnt know much about the game but it looks proper fun.

Hong Kong is one of my favourite cities in the world and lends itself as a great setting. Excited as I am moving to Shenzhen 40 minutes from HK in August so I clearly need to learn about using the environment to protect myself from gangs :toot:

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:
This game is so good. Looking forward to more of this, especially JossiRossi cringing at the upcoming environmental kills.

The cast of the game is so great, I can't think of a low point, really.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Sweet, Sleeping Dogs was one of my favorite games of last year and is probably the game of the year of 2012 for me.

One little comment, just as GenHavoc said may you please turn up the volume for the in game dialogue? Regardless, the video was good and I am going to enjoy seeing JossiRossi reaction to the more gruesome environmental kills.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
As far as getting Face XP goes, I'm pretty sure you also get a small amount of it whenever you fill up the Face bar.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I loving love Sleeping Dogs. GTA4 was too glum for me to like, and Saints Row 3 too over the top. Sleeping Dogs slid beautifully into the gap as a fun brainless romp with a comfortably-sized world full of atmosphere and it's easily one of my favourite games. I think the only time I found it awkward was when it was indulging in its habit of assuming things took place offscreen - a couple times characters will often mention or imply that things happened previously that you never caught the first glimpse of, and you kind of have to go 'oh okay' and roll with it.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
Watching that first episode is just making me kick myself for not buying this game.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Great first episode, it's made me really want to play it. Will you show off what some of the freeroam aspects of the game are like, even for just 10-15 minutes?

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Snow Job posted:

Oh wow, that's Naz in the opening cutscene. I didn't know the game had Wei Shen in contact with him right from the start. (not a spoiler IMO)

Yup.

By the way, about spoilers: Don't. Please. I'm gonna add this to the OP, but I really would prefer if any big story stuff was left as a surprise for the people who haven't seen it yet. :ssh: Minor stuff, like outfits, I'd still like spoiler tagged just because some of them are really great and I want to have them as surprises.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Hell, I like it so much that I've bought it for both PC and Xbox 360.

Good man.

GenHavoc posted:

I'm highly excited for this LP, as I've heard nothing but awesome things about this game.

As a suggestion, is there any way you can turn the volume of the game itself up? You guys have been pretty good about not talking over the cutscenes, but there's an awful lot of dialogue and sound ambiance that goes on during the actual gameplay and I basically couldn't make any of it out during the first video.

Ramba Ral posted:

Sweet, Sleeping Dogs was one of my favorite games of last year and is probably the game of the year of 2012 for me.

One little comment, just as GenHavoc said may you please turn up the volume for the in game dialogue? Regardless, the video was good and I am going to enjoy seeing JossiRossi reaction to the more gruesome environmental kills.

I'll definitely work on it in the future (I've got episode 2's audio in the queue already, so I can actually play with it immediately, yaaay). In the meantime, if you want, I can record some of the exposition real quick and throw it up on Youtube for you- it's something I didn't think a lot about but there are a lot of important little things going on in the opening that, yeah, you can't hear very well. :v:

ally_1986 posted:

Sweet been waiting for this since I saw it in the Sandcastle. DOnt know much about the game but it looks proper fun.

Hong Kong is one of my favourite cities in the world and lends itself as a great setting. Excited as I am moving to Shenzhen 40 minutes from HK in August so I clearly need to learn about using the environment to protect myself from gangs :toot:

Oh boy :buddy: this LP is now informative.

In all honesty, one thing I keep hearing is that while the city's obviously not a 1:1 recreation, the atmosphere it exudes is pretty much spot-on. I haven't been to Hong Kong myself, but if anything, playing the game kind of makes me want to visit.

nomapple posted:

Great first episode, it's made me really want to play it. Will you show off what some of the freeroam aspects of the game are like, even for just 10-15 minutes?

Oh heck yes I will. Actually, the next two episodes are already recorded, and I do absolutely nothing in the main story. While I'll be offscreening a lot of minor content (most of the races, lockboxes, and health shrines, for example) as watching me drive around the city finding poo poo is probably not -super- entertaining, I do want to show off some of the more interesting side stuff and as many of the favors as I can, as they're often hilarious. This includes the Police Investigations, which are a story arc all off on their own, and if people want I can show off other less-than-story-relevant stuff. It's mostly just what people want to see.

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Yesss :allears:

Sleeping Dogs is one of my favorite games of all time (for those on the fence, loving buy it already because it's amazing), and I've been looking forward to this LP since I saw it in the sandcastle a while back. Actually worked on some test videos for an LP of my own when this one was MIA for several months, but I guess I can scrap those now.

Will you be doing the story DLC?

I'll definitely be doing the big DLC- Zodiac Tournament, Nightmare In North Point, and I'm pretty excited for the new DLC (Year of the Snake). I also want to show off the Cop Jobs you get as part of one of the minor DLC packs. :cop:

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

edit: Why aren't you punching the dudes in the counter tutorial? Beating them up after countering has no effect on anything really, but it at least makes the segment more entertaining.

I've been looking for an excuse to use this music somewhere. :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kFJCZmaZjI

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Now that's more like it. :black101: (why don't we have a kung-fu emoticon for this kind of thing?)

Even though clobbering those dudes is totally optional, it makes this segment so much more bearable when you're giving them roundhouse kicks in the face instead of just standing there and pressing Y.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Thanks for doing this- I picked up Sleeping Dogs during the Steam Christmas sale and have been looking for some motivation to finally get started on it. This thread might provide that incentive.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 9, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Picked up Sleeping Dogs during the Winter Sale but haven't touched it yet, this LP has motivated me to give it a shot.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
You were right about the hazing section being a slog. The moment I got through it I really didn't feel like playing more after it. In my defense I got the game free with my video card so I had little incentive to play it and the only thing I knew about it was that it looked like the True Crime games, which I did not like. I guess I'll give it another shot since this video showed me how cringe worthy (fun looking) it is after that part. Can't wait to throw bad guys into boxes of broken glass myself!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Broose posted:

You were right about the hazing section being a slog. The moment I got through it I really didn't feel like playing more after it. In my defense I got the game free with my video card so I had little incentive to play it [...]

This is an interesting thing, the idea that a person is more likely to want to play a game through to the end if they paid for it. Would a game that costs more be higher on someone's priority to play and beat? I have a ton of Indy games from bundles that I don't really feel all that attached to. Some of them because I genuinely had no interest, I just wanted one of the games in said Bundle. However, would a person's desire to stick with the same game change based on the purchase price? If Sleeping Dogs cost 5 dollars, would fewer people complete it?

If Steam would just release some drat statistics maybe we could track that kind of thing. I'd love to see the totals for game play time compared to those that pay full price, versus those that buy during a sale.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010

JossiRossi posted:

This is an interesting thing, the idea that a person is more likely to want to play a game through to the end if they paid for it. Would a game that costs more be higher on someone's priority to play and beat? I have a ton of Indy games from bundles that I don't really feel all that attached to. Some of them because I genuinely had no interest, I just wanted one of the games in said Bundle. However, would a person's desire to stick with the same game change based on the purchase price? If Sleeping Dogs cost 5 dollars, would fewer people complete it?

If Steam would just release some drat statistics maybe we could track that kind of thing. I'd love to see the totals for game play time compared to those that pay full price, versus those that buy during a sale.

Some people will play a game until the feel they "Got their moneys worth out of it" then never touch it again. From that perspective a 60 dollar game will probably be finished but free or super cheap ones barely touched.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Really liking the look of this so far. I'm really impressed with how visceral the combat looks.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

JossiRossi posted:

I'm almost sure this falls under the sunk cost fallacy.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Hokay, so I want to put this up now before I forget. The next two episodes are already recorded using the Rico outfit from Just Cause 2.

Following those, though, I'm gonna want to get thread participation in helping me get Wei Shen dressed in the morning. So here's a video containing all of the clothing we've obtained so far, and I'd love to hear what you guys want me to use in the future. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvoqu18foGA

P.M.F.
May 6, 2007

Do as I say, not as I do.
Ghost pig mask and no pants.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
drunken fist with added Ghost pig mask.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:
I might be wrong but I don't think you can add stuff to the preset outfits such as drunken master.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

Barf Wight posted:

I might be wrong but I don't think you can add stuff to the preset outfits such as drunken master.

This is (sadly) true. :smith:

Should've specified that, but I forgot to mention it.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
If he refuses to wear drunken master with the pig mask, he shall have no pants until he learns his lesson, then. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

Ghost pig maskand underpants

• Locked thread