Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Hey!

Who loves GIFS?

WE do!

Despite living in an age of High Def streaming media.. we all long for those heady days filled with little 4 second moving pictures with no sound that take up an inexplicable 300MBs of space and loop awkwardly. But who cares all about that? Pay heed to these rules or someone with a STAR is gonna MURDER your account!

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

MODERATOR NOTE: SPECIAL NOTE FROM THE WIZARD OF EGGPLANTS!

Yes, it's a brand new thread all empty of posts. That does not mean you need to feverishly repost "classics" from other threads in days gone by. Simply continue on with new content.

RULES
Rules denoted with a "☆" contain edits since the last GIF thread that would apply to the general guidelines, rules, or suggestions unique to my wonderful thread!

☆ 1. No more than 5 gifs per post. Special retrictions apply!. If you have a million super awesome gifs to post, spread them out over a few posts over a few pages. Please pay special attention if you have gifs with a value over 10MBs each! That poo poo is just annoying. If you have crazy large gifs, please try to limit them to maybe 1 or 2 in a post? Please? Let's be proper about this!

☆ 2. TAG NWS poo poo. This includes tiny images of butts because we get complaints otherwise. Please note that certain browsers (mobile!) don't deal with SPOILER tags and don't hide them from view. If you have a GIF you think is going to be offensive, just LINK to the URL. We get it, we can use 1 second of our time to click a link okay?

3. No macros or memes. Use the macro/meme thread. Subtitles are not macros, but basically any other kind of words probably do make a gif a macro.

☆ 4. No anime or anime-style stuff. Yes, even if it's made in the U.S. but looks anime-ish. It'll get reported and BYB & I have better things to do than track down the provenance of every cartoon posted in here. It always leads to horrible worthless derails. There's a separate gif thread for anime & animation; if you have something you're not sure about, post it there. Oh, and yes, Avatar: The Last Airbender is totally anime. I don't care where it was animated.

5. No catchphrases or frivolous requests. That is to say, no "Now make the X do Y and the Z do Q." This stopped being funny a long time ago. If you REALLY, SINCERELY, want the gif to do something else, you can request it, but don't use catchphrases and be aware you may be reported & probated at the discretion of the mods.

6. Be tasteful. Dudes getting hit in the nuts is funny. People dying or being seriously, obviously injured is not funny. Animals being harmed is really not funny. If you're not sure, tag it NWS and say why.

7. Don't derail, stupids! This is not the place for political or social discussion. This is the place for animated images. Go to D&D or GBS if you want to get in futile, childish arguments.

8. All other PYF & SA rules apply. Low content posting, single-emoticon replies, etc. are no good. Be aware of the rules for the site and behave accordingly.

☆ 9. If you know the source.. post it! A brand new rule I've added (thanks for the suggestion!) wherein if you know the SOURCE if you GIF.. please post it. This thread is almost always gunked up with "Where'd this come from?" requests ANYWAY. If you don't know the source.. I guess that's okay too.

HEY DUDE, YOU SEEM WITH IT.. HOW DO I.. THE AVERAGE MORON MAKE A GIF?

Simple enough! Nowadays there are online places that'll not only help you convert a YOUTUBE video into a gif.. but you can also automatically turn a series of pictures into gifs too! Here are some SUPER NEATO online resources for it!

Turn snippets of YouTube videos into GIFS:
http://imgflip.com/gifgenerator

Turn a series of non-moving photos into GIFS:
http://www.myspacegens.com/handler.php?gen=animatedimage
http://picasion.com/

HEY JET.. HOW CAN I EXPERIENCE GIFS.. IN REAL LIFE?

Go outside!

HEY! WHERE IS THAT LAST THREAD SO I CAN RELIVE MY CHILDHOOD?

Right here! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3457178

Jet Ready Go has a new favorite as of 16:45 on Mar 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
BUT JET.. I WANT TO KNOW A LITTLE MORE DETAIL ABOUT THE CREATION OF GIFS.

FINE.. re-posting from the LAST thread, an amazing member named "Factory Factory" wasted his valuable time writing THIS tutorial for you.

Quickie primer on GIF compression,(over)simplified:

The GIF format compresses data via run-length encoding, with lines of pixels (each pixel being an index number for the GIF's color palette) saved left-to-right, top-to-bottom. Compression happens in horizontal lines: a horizontal line of identically-colored pixels can be highly compressed (e.g. run color 31 for 100 pixels, rather than storing "31" a hundred times). Additionally, previously-used "runs" of pixels can be re-used at a very low storage cost, if they occur again exactly. However, these methods cannot compress any data vertically (except for incidental compression by re-using horizontal blocks). So a vertical line takes more data to save and display than a horizontal one.

GIFs have a maximum of 256 colors, a far cry from the number of colors even a crappy monitor can display. This means that if your image has more than two or three dominant colors, you lose the ability to display fine detail. The best-compressed GIFs have carefully-chosen color palettes so that fewer colors can still provide a reasonable illusion of continuous color.

This is complicated by techniques that exist for enhancing the continuous color illusion, such as dithering, which come at the expense of file size. Dithering improves the appearance of transitions between colors, but it does so by breaking up easily-compressed horizontal runs of pixels at the borders between two colors. This reduces the amount by which you can compress an image while improving visual quality.

So far, these have been still-image compression issues, but they offer some insight for GIF makers already. Strong horizontal lines and colors which do not vary horizontally will result in smaller GIFs than color variations along horizontal lines. New horizontal details will consume less storage space than vertical details, especially re-used horizontal details. Fewer colors in your color palette will mean that compressing your range of colors to 256 or lower will impact image quality less. A black-and-white image will give the best contrast fidelity, able to show every step of brightness that the monitor can display.

The other factor in compressing animated GIFs is how GIFs store animations. It is conceptually simple but a little difficult to say both precisely and succinctly, so here it is unsuccinctly:

Each frame in a GIF is a rectangular image. These rectangles can be of any size, but the first is always the full size of the image. Each frame of animation overwrites part of the old rectangle with a new image. The new image's size is only as big as it needs to be to overwrite every pixel that changes.

"Only as big as it needs to be" is the most important factor to compressing animated GIFs. Say we have an image of a 50-pixel-wide square moving at 10 pixels per frame against the background:

After the first frame, the only data that needs to be saved is the area where the square has moved to plus the area it has moved out of (to erase the old image of the square). Here I've set the parts of that image that do not update to transparent, for illustrative purposes:

It is good that this redrawn area does not need to be as large as the entire image, but note that there is some inefficiency: some of the pixels in the middle of the square do not change color, yet they are redrawn anyway (below highlighted pink).

The implication is that, at the extremes, if you have an images that changes only by one pixel at two opposite corners, the entire image must be stored a second time to display just those two changing pixels.

Video GIFs make this especially hard. Video compression artifacts and camera movement tend to make every. Single. Pixel. Change. All. The. Time. If you want a smaller GIF, you have to fight this. Either you pick a clip with little movement, or you stabilize it yourself.

Take this one, for example:

Here's my quick and dirty overlay of the update rectangle. N.B. this is not the actual one, it's actually nearly all full-frame updates, but this is to get the point across.

These are the important parts of what changes in the image. If you are editing frame by frame, you need to minimize changes outside of this area, because even the slightest change will cause more image to be redrawn than needs to be, relative to what the important motion is. It can be pretty drat difficult to do this, believe you me.

Also worth noting, that original GIF manages to look awesome in only 37 colors, thanks to the limited palette and out-of-focus details.

So how can you minimize your GIF size when working from video? You have to stabilize it, and make as much of it still as possible. You need to make the update rectangle, the area of the image that changes, as small as possible between frames.

You also need to pick your source. The best GIFs come from images with large areas of only a few colors with few gradual variations. What variations there are work best when they are low-contrast, so that they need fewer in-between colors to make the transition.

So a lot of effort has to go into video GIFs, both in selecting a suitable GIF and often in altering it to squeeze bytes out of the filesize. Otherwise your GIFs will be huge and/or look ugly.

Jet Ready Go has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Mar 10, 2013

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
HELLO NEW THREAD

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
A new thread?

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Here's a bunch I made

If they're too big/otherwise revolt you, tell me. I'll edit it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Did somebody say "new GIF thread"?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

From this dude's videos. First one is asdfmovie4, second and third are asdfmovie6. Words are subtitles, text looks macro-y because that's what the youtube gif generator does.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Just TAKE it already!

More Iron Man 3 stuff from this Tumblr Blog

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

New thread... videogames!

(Btw we pronounce gif as in 'gift' without the t).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
aww yiss, new gif thread

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

boo_radley posted:

aww yiss, new gif thread

Is that the Dreamworks take on The Lion King?

eager beaver
Jan 13, 2004
I SHOULD BUY A NEW AVATAR. GIVE THE FORUMS ALL MY MONEY.
whoops

eager beaver has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Mar 11, 2013

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

boo_radley posted:

aww yiss, new gif thread

Holy poo poo Simba :laffo:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:pervert:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Source: http://www.wickedlasers.com.hk/krypton

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Just made this one, not that optimised but fresh from Photoshop:

Jamsta has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Mar 10, 2013

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Awww...dude. :mad:

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
Brand new threads everywhere ahhh

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Haha, what's this from? I love that you can see the watermelon rind.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

What glorious movie is this from?

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Grem posted:

Haha, what's this from? I love that you can see the watermelon rind.

Some weird French music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7vYo6l06lo

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Can we have a new rule where you must post the source, or that you don't know what it is?

P.S. This is adorable.

ruttivendolo
Oct 31, 2010

by elpintogrande
Thank god the new thread cameth.

(Cristopher Waltz on SNL)

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Just added two more TURBO MEGA RULES:

MODERATOR NOTE: SPECIAL NOTE FROM THE WIZARD OF EGGPLANTS!

Yes, it's a brand new thread all empty of posts. That does not mean you need to feverishly repost "classics" from other threads in days gone by. Simply continue on with new content.

☆ 9. If you know the source.. post it! A brand new rule I've added (thanks for the suggestion!) wherein if you know the SOURCE if you GIF.. please post it. This thread is almost always gunked up with "Where'd this come from?" requests ANYWAY. If you don't know the source.. I guess that's okay too.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

These are from Need for Speed Most Wanted (the newest one), by the way. All the pursuit challenges had weird intros like that.

Zymurgy
Feb 16, 2011

AHHHHHHHH

I wanna pet this dog.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I love how the frog wraps its hands around empty air and shoves them in its mouth. It's like it couldn't process the fact that there was no bug.

e: content

Source unknown.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

speed hump posted:

Just a few of my favorites from the last thread.

Reminder: We're going to be doing reboots more often. These reboots do not all need to have the same content in them as the last one. Avoid posting stuff just because it's classic or everyone loved it in the last thread. People can maintain their own folders of favorite internet things.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

30 Rock (probably)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zymurgy
Feb 16, 2011

^^^^naked mole rats eh?

Here are some puppies.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I love Gifs so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Falkor!

(From 5 Rangers - all 13 episodes are on Youtube)

• Locked thread