Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Goon Group AoE2 Goons. Join up.

:steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/221380/ :steam: :siren: STEAM SALE STEAM SALE :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_MEFt7KrxQ

Includes the Conquerors expansion.
At launch the game is $20.

The game has a launcher.
Unlike the old .exe there is now a screen before the game with an embedded flash ad for the game you are about to play. This makes old mods and linux support under wine totally broken.

This is Age of Empires II HD Edition, Microsoft's re-imagining of the 1999 real-time strategy game. With Ensemble Studios closed work on the updated version is being done by Hidden Path Entertainment (Defense Grid series, Counter Strike: Global Offensive). Age of Empires II HD Edition includes every single-player campaign from the Age of Kings original and the Conquerors expansion. Multiplayer too. Development continues well into patches and there is some nice steam workshop support.
Steamworks features for Age of Empires II HD Edition include achievements, leaderboards, matchmaking, and cloud support. In addition, gamers can share user created content through the Steam Workshop.

Steam posted:

Pre-Purchase and get Early Access!
Age of Empires II HD will be released on April 5th to customers who pre-purchase the game on Steam!

About the Game
In Age of Empires II: HD Edition, fans of the original game and new players alike will fall in love with the classic Age of Empires II experience. Explore all the original single player campaigns from both Age of Kings and The Conquerors expansion, choose from 18 civilizations spanning over a thousand years of history, and head online to challenge other Steam players in your quest for world domination throughout the ages. Originally developed by Ensemble Studios and reimagined in high definition by Hidden Path Entertainment, Microsoft Studios is proud to bring Age of Empires II: HD Edition to Steam!

Age of Empires II is the RTS for me. Sometimes I play Age of Empires Online and get sad then play Age of Empires II again. One time I even played Age of Empires III! Every time I have to remember how to make the water not purple. It's nice that it will be on Steam, HD, and the water will be blue out of the box.

Forget how to play? Just learning? Never applied a "build" to AoE II?

Fano posted:

Watch this video for an introduction on dark age build ups, they are very important!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtukDHXy9GU

His other tutorials are great and cover a wide variety of strategies, he also casts pro games quite frequently.

Patches all the time:

Fangs404 posted:

The AOEII HD dev team just made some big announcements.

TL;DR:

1. Patch 2.4 is in public beta (you can opt in now).

2. They're teaming with the Forgotten Empires guys to bring in some seriously awesome changes to the game!

Fun game. Go select some dudes and click on some dudes.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
Have they mentioned if they'll update the gameplay for the automation of some tasks which were annoying like farming?

Are there any HD screenshots? All I see in the steam page look like the original game.

Bathysphere
Jan 21, 2010
I'm keen for a 4-pack!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/tangwhat/

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Hopefully this turns out better than the Tony Hawk HD remake.

Preordered :sigh:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'll split a four pack too.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198027876654/

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Hidden Path is doing this? That's cool, I hope they keep finding work.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Please please please let the old custom scenarios load into the HD remake. :ohdear:

http://aok.heavengames.com/

There's just so much talent that went into those custom maps and I'd hate to see the best of them just lost forever. Maybe they'll include the original AoK in the HD remake for playing those on?

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

TerryLennox posted:

Have they mentioned if they'll update the gameplay for the automation of some tasks which were annoying like farming?

Are there any HD screenshots? All I see in the steam page look like the original game.

Watch the video in the OP, the comparison won't be as striking unless you're seeing them in motion. It looks like the main updates are increased resolution and (significantly) more frames added to the animations.

ballpoint
Nov 8, 2009
I'm actually really glad that they decided (were forced to?) keep the old graphics engine, menus, music etc. Too many "HD Remakes" end up being entirely different, even having different mechanics or gameplay than the original.

This is AOEII with true online multiplayer and modern system compatibility, which is what I have been wanting for so long. Good job Microsoft!

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
As long as I can still type in numbers to make obnoxious sound clips of microsoft employes saying stuff play, this is a day 1 buy.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 10, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

darealkooky posted:

As long as I can still type in numbers to make obnoxious sound clips of microsoft employes saying stuff play, this is a day 1 buy.

All hail, king of the losers!

:3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbGfI1qNsRI

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

darealkooky posted:

There's one of those at the end of the trailerish thingamajig in the OP, I figure it's in.

And I do so hope myself.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

TerryLennox posted:

It pretty much looks like the old game. The animations are smoother- that looks like the only real improvement to me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

darealkooky posted:

Nice town, I'll take it.

Very underutilized, I feel.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
I wonder if they ever fixed the bug where the marketplace could attack units and buildings it was next to at about 1hp/sec.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
This was like the first PC game I ever bought, and though I was never any good at the online play I always had fun playing it and the single player campaigns. Really looking forward to getting this once it comes out. One month seems so far away!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I will buy the absolutely loving gently caress out of this game.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
I can't wait to see the updated car sprites. That was one of the best cheats in any game ever.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

PhantomZero posted:

I wonder if they ever fixed the bug where the marketplace could attack units and buildings it was next to at about 1hp/sec.

Wait that was a thing? The only bugs I ever saw were dudes getting stuck halfway up cliffs and ships sailing blithely over sandbars, and I played the hell out of that game. Multiplayer was another story. Even when it was relatively new it could be impossible to make work. I remember spending the better part of an afternoon trying to LAN two computers in the same room to no avail.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

Duckbag posted:

Wait that was a thing? The only bugs I ever saw were dudes getting stuck halfway up cliffs and ships sailing blithely over sandbars, and I played the hell out of that game. Multiplayer was another story. Even when it was relatively new it could be impossible to make work. I remember spending the better part of an afternoon trying to LAN two computers in the same room to no avail.

Networking computers together to play AoE2 was a nightmare, and if the remake added nothing but decent multiplayer support I would still buy it. As I remember, this is what we found from experimenting with networking:

First off, all machines had to be Vista or earlier, or Windows 7. Attempting to mix Windows 7 machines with earlier ones would result in it not working! I believe this has something to do with the removal of IPX from Win7, but it's been a while since I looked this up and can't find the exact source for this. (Also, Hamachi does nothing for attempting to fix this problem).

The only way my friends and I managed to get it working was by finding a spare router, plugging into that, then disabling wireless. I don't know why, but it wouldn't work with wireless turned on. Then there was the fun of killing explorer.exe to fix the colours.

I can't wait for the remake!

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

gently caress yes, I'd buy this is all it had was the multiplayer support. Anything else is a bonus.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Duckbag posted:

Multiplayer was another story. Even when it was relatively new it could be impossible to make work. I remember spending the better part of an afternoon trying to LAN two computers in the same room to no avail.

I don't remember having a problem with Direct IP or LAN ever. In fact, I thought AoE1/2 were one of the few games to have really robust networking at the time. Age of Mythology on the other hand had loving terrible direct IP/LAN connections and required the use of some IP repeater. Speaking of which, I still have my Age of Mythology Beta CD's that I won from Heavengames. That was a great game, I miss my alligators with laser beams on their head :(

Rise of Rome and AoE2 were the staple games for me growing up and I'm excited to see this being done and; however, I feel $20 seems rather steep price to be asking for what amounts to fixing up the online section, widescreen support, and from what I can tell just very minor animation tweaks. If the sprites and animations are truly raised to be "HD" with much higher resolution so things don't look awfully pixellated with jerky animations, then that'd be a more reasonable so it may be too early to judge the scope of the "HD" update.

While it may be a damned if they do or damned if they don't situation to make changes to it, AoE gameplay is kind of dated in terms of some clunky/annoying mechanics that could be streamlined (ala what Anno 2070 did with 1404) and I hope they do improve pathfinding and such like that.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 10, 2013

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
For those who still have the original disks lying around, there's this to tide you over.

A huge fanpatch that adds high-resolution support, massively improved AI, and a few new civs. The only thing it doesn't improve is the multiplayer unfortunately.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
This is beyond awesome. This is the game that got me into computers. I remember spending a lot of time on scenario designing and playing some of the jaw dropping incredible campaigns that other people made. I really hope you can play custom scenarios and campaigns on this new version. Someone else linked to aok.heavengames.com, if you still have the old CDs, you guys should check out the campaigns by Ingo van Thiel. The work that went into some of them is extremely impressive.

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

Morholt posted:

For those who still have the original disks lying around, there's this to tide you over.

A huge fanpatch that adds high-resolution support, massively improved AI, and a few new civs. The only thing it doesn't improve is the multiplayer unfortunately.

First thing the thread make me think of- only tried it briefly and couldn't remember the name without searching; thanks for the link.

Main issue I've had with the above, however, or any patch like it for older games, is that simply upping the resolution makes most objects really small on-screen. It's obviously a better image in most ways, but it's also a trade-off between increased clarity and everything being super tiny.

It'd be awesome if they could improve the resolution while maintaining ostensible building/unit size.

TheMammoth fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 10, 2013

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Dark Wind posted:

This is beyond awesome. This is the game that got me into computers. I remember spending a lot of time on scenario designing and playing some of the jaw dropping incredible campaigns that other people made. I really hope you can play custom scenarios and campaigns on this new version. Someone else linked to aok.heavengames.com, if you still have the old CDs, you guys should check out the campaigns by Ingo van Thiel. The work that went into some of them is extremely impressive.

The trailer mentioned Steam Workshop support, so it may be possible. It probably is a matter of how easy it is to port old campaigns and if there is anyone willing (or around for that matter) to do the work.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I wonder if this is going to come with those weird replays that the devs made and narrated through the in-game chat system to teach you how to play. Those were really awesome but I never managed to find them again after I lost those versions of the disks.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

luncheon meat posted:

I can't wait to see the updated car sprites. That was one of the best cheats in any game ever.

I can't wait to see the updated naked VDML unit :haw:

I've been waiting for a version of this game for modern systems for years. The fact that it's in HD is just icing on the cake! I find it really strange that any of you had trouble with playing network games. I never had a problem with it even on my Windows 7 computer.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Any info on whether this will require GFWL?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ceyton posted:

Steamworks matchmaking and multiplayer services.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
It'd be awesome if they gave Rise of Rome an HD makeover as well, like 2 days ago I was reminiscing about how fun it was to play RoR online. I remember hopping onto Zone and playing for hours. The client was buggy as poo poo but I had tons of fun along the way. I was also halfway competent at it compared to AoEII, which usually kicked my rear end.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Dark Wind posted:

It'd be awesome if they gave Rise of Rome an HD makeover as well, like 2 days ago I was reminiscing about how fun it was to play RoR online. I remember hopping onto Zone and playing for hours. The client was buggy as poo poo but I had tons of fun along the way. I was also halfway competent at it compared to AoEII, which usually kicked my rear end.

I was so consumed by my previous post that I just grabbed a thing from Amazon which is AoE1+RoR and AoE2+TC for $10. But it's apparently from Ubisoft. :psyduck: It'll be nice to have the disks around again though.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Orv posted:

Steamworks matchmaking and multiplayer services.

That's encouraging, but not a definitive "no". Seeing as this is Microsoft, I'm sure they'll figure out a way to require GFWL for activation or whatever.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I had no issues with AoEII online?

I remember a 3rd party service or whatever bundled with the game and a bunch of tables compromising the lobby. It worked pretty well from I remember.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ceyton posted:

Is anyone even putting GFWL in their games anymore? The last one I can recall using it was Dark Souls and that was most likely because FROM didn't know any better.

Edit: Oh, pardon, I didn't see that Microsoft is publishing this. Well, I guess we'll find out; if even they aren't using it, chances are no one else ever will again.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Is anyone even putting GFWL in their games anymore? The last one I can recall using it was Dark Souls and that was most likely because FROM didn't know any better.

That was mostly because the similarity in architecture between LIVE and GFWL was such that their inexperienced PC team didn't have to code a new server system and it could run off Microsofts stuff. They won't even be using GFWL for Dark Souls 2, and pretty much everyone else has stopped as well.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Can't wait to spam WOLOLO in high definition!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Whatever gets us closer to an HD re-release (or digital release period) of AoE 1, I suppose. Not that I didn't greatly enjoy AoE 2 as well.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Definitive answer on GFWL

Is there DRM?

Age of Empires 2: HD Edition uses only the Steam service for license management. Games for Windows LIVE is not required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VireDesi
Feb 1, 2007
Do we have a goon group going for this yet or should we make one?

• Locked thread