Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
This thread is now making me imagine Aeris dying slowly from blood poisoning after fecal matter enters her bloodstream from her ripped open small intestine, no, she died instantly, stop it, you are making me very sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Break
Feb 19, 2011
Furthermore, who's to say that Cetra anatomy is the same as Earth human anatomy? Maybe she actually got stabbed through her heart, or brain!

Zinco
Mar 27, 2005

Break posted:

Furthermore, who's to say that Cetra anatomy is the same as Earth human anatomy? Maybe she actually got stabbed through her heart, or brain!

That's just racist.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Break posted:

The fact that they can interbreed with what are, by all appearances, normal humans suggests relatively normal anatomy.

Although this whole conversation is disturbingly morbid.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Post stabbing aeris is slowly dying and everything happening after that is her dream.

The second twist is not just that aeris is not dead, but that everyone else is dead, sephiroth killed them.

The third twist is that Jenova was Cloud's sled

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Break posted:

Cetra are humans who can listen to dirt.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Well, the Lifestream (or Mako), rather than the dirt.

Does that mean she likes the SOLDIER soldiers because she can have two conversations at once? One with the person, the other with their added Mako?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

This thread is now making me imagine Aeris dying slowly from blood poisoning after fecal matter enters her bloodstream from her ripped open small intestine, no, she died instantly, stop it, you are making me very sad.

Oh no! :(

Yeah, I think I'll just see her dying very quickly from blood loss, because going the realistic route just sounds painful. :smith:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I've got it! I now know what really killed Aeris!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I've got it! I now know what really killed Aeris!

She clearly died due to a concussion. :colbert:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Booky posted:

She clearly died due to a concussion. :colbert:

Subdural Hematoma.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Compressed vertabrae

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

DeathChicken posted:

Was Tseng a stab or a slash?

He was still talking when you found him. Must have been a slash.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
She committed suicide-by-Sephiroth so that she could stop listening to Red XIII trying to guess the ending (You're going to dieee... now. OK now. Ok then, now.)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Subdural Hematoma.

Sarcoidosis

or Lupus

from the future posted:

it's never lupus

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I would imagine blood would get in her lungs from being stabbed. And then...

Aeris: Cloud! You're in the uh, DAAANGER ZOOOONE!

Cloud: And those were her last words!

Fartmancer
Sep 17, 2004

I want to hug you like big, fuzzy, Siberian bear
After a months long hiatus from this thread, I finally caught up! Great work so far, Elentor! You are really showcasing all the great stuff this game has to offer, and taking the time to point out some huge plot points that are easy to miss (Gast's journal) or otherwise overlook or misinterpret (chasing Jenova). This is my favorite game of all time, even to this day, and reading through this LP makes me want to play it again. So, keep up the good work, and good luck with Kinetic Void. I have been waiting for a new entry to that genre, so I am eager for it to be released, especially after looking over your Unity 3D forums post.

I'd also like to dispense praise to OFS for his low level game and hilarious MS Paint images. Cloud Fiveaces cracked me up way more than it should have.

And to everyone else keeping this thread interesting, thanks to you as well, and I'll stop crapping it up with my posting now.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Clearly, it's Cloud that was stabbed and the rest of the game happens only in his mind during the last few minutes before death.

(holy gently caress spoilers)

VVV: Oh come on, that theory is plain stupid.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 11, 2013

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stop spoiling FF8, guys.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

This discussion is getting pretty stupid.

On the PC version of the game. Is it moddable? I assume so, and if it is, can more than one mod be installed? If it's a dumb question, I apologize as I have only ever used Steam for Portal. I want to try out the Hard mode mod, but I refuse to play with the lovely alternate music the PC version has, and I assume there's a mod to patch all the PS1 version music in?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are (or at least were, but I'm sure I've seen it) mods to change the music, yes. The PC music is terrible but you should be able to fix it.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

bradzilla posted:

I want to try out the Hard mode mod, but I refuse to play with the lovely alternate music the PC version has, and I assume there's a mod to patch all the PS1 version music in?

It might have been my hardware or whatever, but actually getting the patch to work that's been talked about was a pain. It eventually happened, but...that mod is the farthest thing from "user-friendly." Or "playable."

It might be strange to some, but the hard-type patch from Insane Difficulty has better handling in terms of challenge. It's still hard, but it's a very interesting rebalance that doesn't pull a bunch of counter-intuitive weirdness. The worst it does is obnoxious status procs here and there.

Gjoerulv's hack, right off the bat, cuts both your arms off, ties a leg behind your back and says "Walk."

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Elentor posted:

Stop spoiling FF8, guys.
Hahahahahhaa A PLUS! :neckbeard: this is why you're awesome.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You guys are having a discussion about a theory that uses the phrase "she immediately sinks, implying body muscle tension is disrupting buoyancy." Just thought I'd point that out.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Zeikier posted:

I would imagine blood would get in her lungs from being stabbed. And then...

Aeris: Cloud! You're in the uh, DAAANGER ZOOOONE!

Cloud: And those were her last words!
"Cloud... Hey, Cloud..."
"What is it Aeris?"
"C-closer..."
"Yes?"
"Danger Zone"
"GOD DAMMIT" *throws her into the lake*

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Is Danger Zone a reference to something? :confused:

Anyways, when I tried to play this game on my cousin's PSP Go before, was the reason the game was so slow because it wasn't the 3000?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Booky posted:

Is Danger Zone a reference to something? :confused:

Anyways, when I tried to play this game on my cousin's PSP Go before, was the reason the game was so slow because it wasn't the 3000?

Archer, via the use of the song from the Tom Cruise's homoerotic military aerial combat adventure epic, Top Gun.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Aeris: I just watched Wreck-It Ralph, and in Game Central Station there are two different points where graffiti on the wall says "Aerith Lives". I thought it was pretty funny. There are a lot of great game references in that movie.

Osagono
Sep 2, 2011

Ragequit posted:

Speaking of Aeris: I just watched Wreck-It Ralph, and in Game Central Station there are two different points where graffiti on the wall says "Aerith Lives". I thought it was pretty funny. There are a lot of great game references in that movie.

It must be movie day, I watched it with the wife this morning and she had no idea why I was laughing at graffiti. It was a very nice touch to have that in there.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Osagono posted:

It must be movie day, I watched it with the wife this morning and she had no idea why I was laughing at graffiti. It was a very nice touch to have that in there.
Even better considering that it's graffiti. Somehow it works far better than say, a pamphlet shoved into your face. Can't explain why ANYWAYS!

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

FinalGamer posted:

Even better considering that it's graffiti. Somehow it works far better than say, a pamphlet shoved into your face. Can't explain why ANYWAYS!

Agreed, although the reason it's graffiti is probably in reference to the ubiquitous 'Frodo lives!' graffiti from the late 60s and 70s.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Zeikier posted:

It might have been my hardware or whatever, but actually getting the patch to work that's been talked about was a pain. It eventually happened, but...that mod is the farthest thing from "user-friendly." Or "playable."

It might be strange to some, but the hard-type patch from Insane Difficulty has better handling in terms of challenge. It's still hard, but it's a very interesting rebalance that doesn't pull a bunch of counter-intuitive weirdness. The worst it does is obnoxious status procs here and there.

Gjoerulv's hack, right off the bat, cuts both your arms off, ties a leg behind your back and says "Walk."

quote:

You can no longer learn Big Guard from Beachplug, try in the late game.
White Wind removes all status effects including haste and barriers.

Those two things alone are a vast improvement.

I think I'll have to give this a crack.

EDIT: This also gives an actual use for Time Materia. Wow, what a great modification.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 11, 2013

Turos Kensei
Dec 13, 2009
Seriously. Thank you Elentor for this thread. I'm seriously loving this and all the maths.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

Ragequit posted:

It's better than that: the first instance says 'Aerith dies' and the second says 'Aerith Lives'. I laughed really hard at it.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Yay, I finally caught up! I'm loving this LP, since it gives me a chance to digest the story more than I have when playing through. I'd forgotten some of the stuff on the second disc, apparently.

This weekend I came across a reference to a Japanese bar named Seventh Heaven. Apparently in the 90's it was a popular strip club staffed exclusively by non-Japanese women in Roppongi. While that's certainly not the origin of the term, and the strip bar may have no bearing on the decision to name Tifa's bar Seventh Heaven, it's interesting in that it was very much in the Japanese consciousness during the time that FFVII was being made.

That's not to say that Tifa is a stripper; I think we've already established that that particular honor goes to DanAeryths :P But the Japanese love their double meanings, and it wouldn't surprise me if they slipped something in.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I....wouldn't call a single strip club "very much on the Japanese consciousness" myself.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Zeikier posted:

Yeah Gjoerulv's is a vicious bastard at the start. The first reactor was pretty much the hardest part of the game, as you've got extremely limited magic and items. Once you get past that it lightens up a good deal, and I'm really loving it now because going into fights where you need to figure out actual tactics, use items, and inflict status effects is awesome. I just beat Lost Number last night and it was a hell of a fight that I only managed with a good deal of thought and preparation, as well as some luck, but drat it was rewarding as hell when I won.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Two Finger posted:

Those two things alone are a vast improvement.

I think I'll have to give this a crack.

EDIT: This also gives an actual use for Time Materia. Wow, what a great modification.

Oh yeah, the ID hack pulls a very interesting twist. Big Guard being lategame aside, Ribbons also prevent Haste and Barriers. So there's a choice between resisting statuses or using positive status effects. Luckily there aren't many fights where you need to use both at the same time and get screwed over, although there are plenty of setups to get around using Ribbons, as well as using more specific accessories (the ID run was the first time I ever used a Safety Bit).

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah Gjoerulv's is a vicious bastard at the start. The first reactor was pretty much the hardest part of the game, as you've got extremely limited magic and items. Once you get past that it lightens up a good deal, and I'm really loving it now because going into fights where you need to figure out actual tactics, use items, and inflict status effects is awesome. I just beat Lost Number last night and it was a hell of a fight that I only managed with a good deal of thought and preparation, as well as some luck, but drat it was rewarding as hell when I won.

I don't mind using items, but there are some fights that are just strange. There's a video of one added boss where it constantly revives itself and ejects two members. Then it finally dies or whatever. Things like that look esoteric and tedious. I stopped trying when Air Buster OHKO'd me and was too fast to recover from.

Apparently Guard Scorpion needs an item one enemy drops, but whatever drops it can drop you just as hard if not harder than the boss.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I....wouldn't call a single strip club "very much on the Japanese consciousness" myself.

Poor choice of wording on my part.

I meant that Seventh Heaven was a popular strip club--from what I can tell, it was the first one to be staffed exclusively with foreign women as strippers--in a well-known red light district filled almost exclusively with clubs (hostess, strip, and otherwise) that catered to that particular preference. The area itself was apparently nearly as popular as Kabuki-cho--think Bourbon Street to Kabuki-cho's Las Vegas in terms of popularity or how well-known it was; except, you know, in a totally sex-tradey way. And within that district, Seventh Heaven was one of the most well-known establishments.

Basically, if one was familiar with or partook of that particular segment of...culture...at the time, one knew about Seventh Heaven.

Obviously Tifa doesn't run a strip club, but it amuses me that a bar with that name made it into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Okay, I give up. I'm halfway through this thread and everyone keeps talking about the EU and I have no idea what that is. Surely they don't mean the European version of the game. I searched the first 15 pages and still no explanation as to what it is, and I couldn't find anything on google.

What the hell is EU an abbreviation for?

• Locked thread