Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Expanded Universe, all the terrible additions to the FF7 world that were made after the game that 'add to' the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Thank you

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You clearly aren't much of a Star Wars guy, are you?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

It took me a while to catch myself on too. It took several posts saying EU in a row, with one in there somewhere saying "Expanded/Extended Universe". Basically Advent Children, the anime, Kingom Hearts, and all the other spinoffs.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

Okay, I give up. I'm halfway through this thread and everyone keeps talking about the EU and I have no idea what that is. Surely they don't mean the European version of the game. I searched the first 15 pages and still no explanation as to what it is, and I couldn't find anything on google.

What the hell is EU an abbreviation for?

Extended Universe. All the other games and movies and comics and books and whatever that featured the cast or world of FF7.

e: f;b

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Eh, they vary as to how horrible they are. I liked Crisis Core well enough.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Careful, I hear that'll get you lynched in these parts.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

KieranWalker posted:

If you think that's bad, I actually kinda enjoyed some of the gameplay parts of Dirge of Cerberus.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Paracelsus posted:

If you think that's bad, I actually kinda enjoyed some of the gameplay parts of Dirge of Cerberus.

Unclean! Unclean! :cry:

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

Paracelsus posted:

It's okay, you're perfectly allowed to be a sadomasochist. Just... y'know... it's not exactly suitable public conversation.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KieranWalker posted:

I have nothing against people who like or dislike the EU but the OP states no EU talk for a different reason. Some few hundred pages ago (Jesus Christ) people were spoiling a shitload about the game unintentionally by talking about stuff that happens in the EU.

Edit: Next updates should be coming soon.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 12, 2013

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Right, the entire point of Expanded Universe is that it starts with the presumption you're intimately familiar with the original product. Almost every Final Fantasy EU thing has major spoilers for huge plot points in FFVII, sometimes immediately at the start of the game. Trying to talk about any of that without spoiling stuff for FFVII is a fool's errand, and Elentor is completely in the right to ask that nobody discuss those in this thread.

abrakadabra
Mar 11, 2013
How close are we from finishing the main story? I'm curious because I think I've gone a tad further than the LP but never finished the game, and I've got no idea how far from the ending I've been. I don't want to check from walkthrougs or such because that would most likely spoil something

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

abrakadabra posted:

How close are we from finishing the main story? I'm curious because I think I've gone a tad further than the LP but never finished the game, and I've got no idea how far from the ending I've been. I don't want to check from walkthrougs or such because that would most likely spoil something

Story-wise I'd say there's about a quarter left or so, maybe a tad less. You don't exactly have a whole lot of locales to visit anymore but what's left is pretty plot-heavy.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kanfy posted:

Story-wise I'd say there's about a quarter left or so, maybe a tad less. You don't exactly have a whole lot of locales to visit anymore but what's left is pretty plot-heavy.

There's a few big things we still have to do til the end that I ALWAYS forget about so I'm pretty excited :dance:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

We're still yet to cover pretty much my favourite sequence in the entire game, too.

Rockdash
Jan 5, 2010

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

Okay, I give up. I'm halfway through this thread and everyone keeps talking about the EU and I have no idea what that is. Surely they don't mean the European version of the game. I searched the first 15 pages and still no explanation as to what it is, and I couldn't find anything on google.

What the hell is EU an abbreviation for?

Extended Universe. Advent Children, Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, etc. Anything FF7 that wasn't actually FF7.

Edit: Whoops, there was a whole new page after that post that I didn't see.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Two Finger posted:

We're still yet to cover pretty much my favourite sequence in the entire game, too.

But Scarlet and Tifa already had their slapfight? :confused:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Rockdash posted:

Extended Universe...Anything FF7 that wasn't actually FF7.
Perfect description, right here. :golfclap:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 75 - Mako Age

It's time for us to go around the world capture mythical artifacts in an order of our choice!

We'll start with Fort Condor.

You can start with either Fort Condor or Corel, but you have to do both before moving on with the plot.

Fort Condor is the easiest and fastest.

There are two ways we can do this.

We can actually try to defend Fort Condor, which is very easy.

Just spam catapults at the entrance and the fight won't last long.

As soon as we eliminate every single enemy on the field (even if there are enemies left to spawn) we win.

But that's no fun. We need to lose in order to fight the next boss, the enemy commander.

You can fight inferior versions of him anytime you lose a Fort Condor battle. This one drops a special item which I very much want.

Right.

We now have the [Imperial Guard], which is a very, very strong armor.

Uh

Holy moly.

That's some brutal cycle of life right there.

The [Phoenix] is a very unique summon, for a simple reason. It automatically revives everyone who's dead in your party. It shall be most useful.

We have now officially seen everything. Moving on.

I would sure hope so.

Worst investment ever.

And the reason we came here in the first place.

I'm not sure I would protect those condors. Did you see their size? And the GIGANTIC EXPLOSION that happens whenever they're born?

Yea, we don't care. We've got our materia, bye.

Ah, the Huge Materia. One of the most powerful artifacts in this world. Just like the silk dress, a blonde wig, a diamond tiara, a sexy cologne and, of course, the bikini briefs.

As you can see the World Map has been updated accordingly - there's no longer a Condor sitting at the Fort.

Time to go to Corel. There are some guards at the Reactor...

But nothing relevant to us at this point.

Well guys, you know how Barret likes to put it.

I'M GOING OFF THE RAILS ON A CRAZY TRAIN.

This part feels very complicated while you're playing but it's incredibly simple.

You get an extra psychological thrill from the music, the same used in other timed situations.

As you frustratingly feel you're going nowhere for 30-50 seconds.

Oh I think we're going faster

From the mount to the pasture.

Strangers on a train.

Either way it's suicide. I'm gonna jump the next train.

AHHHHHHHHH

Trains.

Since FF6 trains have kinda become a tradition in Final Fantasy, to the point the FF Wikia actually has a list of trains. Warning: There are spoilers in it.

This is WolfMeister, he's in the third wagon. He's notably one of the very few entities in the game who are vulnerable to Water.

He (amongst some few other monsters) fills the role of the Iron Giant. Iron Giants are traditional Final Fantasy enemies who typically come in Red and Blue colors. This (the boss) is the red version in this game.

IMMEDIATELY after Wolfmeister, we get to fight another boss in the next wagon and a chance to test Ungarmax. Hooray!

Best limit ever.

With 17,000 HP compared to Wolfmeister's 10,000 Eagle Gun takes a bit longer. To an unprepared party this fight can take a while, which isn't good since we're on a timer. Still, not the hardest boss we've faced by any stretch.

Besides being weak to Lightning those two barely count as bosses. They're weak to Gravity. While I'm sure I can insert a Flight of Icarus joke here somewhere, it's also worth the mention that you can steal [Warrior Bangle] from Eagle Gun.

Warrior Bangle is a unique armor that increases your Strength by 20 and offers a huge physical defense (96), at the cost of no materia growth. It's awesome.

Seriously.

There goes the train with the boy.

There goes the train without a destination, to find the new day.

We don't wanna ruin the only route to Gold Saucer. I still have hopes to go there again.

Crap we can't even read the instructions

Oh God did we just make it faster

OH GOD WE'RE GONNA DIE

Not conveyed in the screenshot: The train stopping. We're safe.

First things first. We're on a roll.

Couldn't they just have, I don't know, taken the materia away with an aircraft? They have plenty of helicopters. Why would they specifically have to carry it out on a train that would lead to nowhere? It's like they just want to mess up with people.

While we're at it, couldn't they have put those tents 10 inches away from the rails? I mean, I'm not an expert in urban planning but that old woman lives RIGHT ON TOP OF IT.

This would actually be a huge improvement from your current home. I've seen Lord of the Rings and let me tell you, deep tunnels can look fabulous.

Sure there are demons of old living in those but it can't be worse than all the horrid creatures that walk on the surface of the world already. Plus, no Godlike Terror Trains.

And we've got [Ultima]. Ultima is another traditional Final Fantasy spell and, in this case, with the potential to deal the biggest multi-target damage in the game out of any green materia. Our trio of ultimate magic spells work like this:

1) Ultima: Lowest damage, but it hits everyone.
2) Comet2: Highest damage, but split among 4 targets. Potential to be the highest single-target damage if no one else's around.
3) Flare: Elemental, second highest damage. Not as powerful as Comet2 but you can actually target someone with it.

And thus Barret is redeemed.

As for the green materia talk, ultimately none of it matters if you get to the "endgame" because they will all deal 9999 damage, thus making Ultima the preferable choice. For now we'll still use Comet2 from time to time.

Before Corel gets reduced once again to a pitiful place whose purpose is to make us reflect on our privillege while we travel to a luxury theme park, there's one more thing we need.

[Catastrophe] is Barret's Level 4 limit. It looks cool as hell and we'll be using it. We're done here.

Alright let's see where we...

Oh

Hahahah.

It's settled then. Destination: Mideel.

NEXT TIME:

Crazy people! Sick people! Plot development!

Music we've listened in this update:

Hurry - It couldn't have a more appropriate name.

Bonus points if you can correctly identify the five songs I've quoted in this update without using Google.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 14, 2013

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
No mention of the fact you can gently caress up the train sequence? I think it locks you out of getting Ultima, doesn't it? It changes a couple of things, anyway.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The "what ifs" of this game will come later, as I mentioned previously. Besides this update was way too long already.

Just relax and enjoy the ride.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 14, 2013

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

So, if you haven't finished the game yet you shouldn't read the entry directly below FF7 on that train wiki page.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Those levers confused the hell out of me when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure my strategy for that segment was mashing buttons randomly and hoping for the best.

Also that baby bird looks so determined, it's adorable.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I just realized that the Fort's shape looks like a whale. I wonder why?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

quote:

Bonus points if you can correctly identify the five songs I've quoted in this update without using Google.
Aren't these all just different lines from the Magnum Opus "I Like Trains" by Selphie Tilmitt?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Simply Simon posted:

Aren't these all just different lines from the Magnum Opus "I Like Trains" by Selphie Tilmitt?

And here I was trying to make it hard.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

VagueRant posted:

No mention of the fact you can gently caress up the train sequence? I think it locks you out of getting Ultima, doesn't it? It changes a couple of things, anyway.

It doesn't lock you out of Ultima. It just makes it so that you have to pay a fairly large amount of gil for it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

(Reminded to future self to ask question regarding this update later, to do with characters)
Won't ask now, possible minor spoilers

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The next couple updates are going to be great. And for the record, before this update the last time a boss fight ocurred in the LP was Jenova-DEATH, way back in the Northern Cave. And that update was posted in September 2012. This means OFS can finally post a LLG update!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

bradzilla posted:

This means OFS can finally post a LLG update!

Actually it was North Corel I was needing, since I have to fail it to avoid EXP and all my sidequesting is after that.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
You call Ungarmax the best limit ever, but there isn't a picture or gif of it. Did you accidentally leave it out?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gharbad the Weak posted:

You call Ungarmax the best limit ever, but there isn't a picture or gif of it. Did you accidentally leave it out?

You can click the boss images for youtube links.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

You can click the boss images for youtube links.

oooooooooooooooooooooooh neato

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I kind of liked the cute boss character cards better than the actual boss image on top of a gradient. :shobon:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Did...did you not get the reference the update made?

I thought the whole idea was fantastic.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bradzilla posted:

I kind of liked the cute boss character cards better than the actual boss image on top of a gradient. :shobon:

You'll all get a full set of cards by the end of the LP, even the ones missing right now. Today's update is a mock/reference to megaman/bioware games. The bosses are set in a megaman stage intro style. We will resume to the cards soon.

I wish you guys knew how much work goes into those things :smith:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Elentor posted:

You'll all get a full set of cards by the end of the LP, even the ones missing right now. Today's update is a mock/reference to megaman/bioware games. The bosses are set in a megaman stage intro style. We will resume to the cards soon.

Are the cards more work than the Megaman style stuff in this update?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Elentor posted:

Ah, come on, doing Mega Man style stuff in LPs isn't THAT hard :D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Some Numbers posted:

Are the cards more work than the Megaman style stuff in this update?
I'm pretty sure he actually draws the enemies on the cards himself, so yeah of course they would be.

They're great though and I'm glad you're not stopping them.

• Locked thread