Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
I have an old SimCity 4 disk. Do I need to purchase the Deluxe version, or buy Rush Hour some where in order to play with these new mods? I assume based off the OP that I can't just use base Sim City 4, but I wanted to make sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
You need Rush Hour

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

James The 1st posted:

You need Rush Hour

And it's probably easier and cheaper to just get Deluxe instead of looking for the expansion pack.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Schorsch posted:

Turns out, I had a backup.

Looks like poo poo but is rendered without any plugins. I forgot to do some smoothing on a few coasts, too.

Download this and extract it into your Regions folder, rename as you see fit: http://www.dieanothertry.de/files/FhuzoNoPlugins.zip

e: oh and there's no heightmap, it only came with a SC4M file to load into Mapper or Terraformer.

I don't seem to know how to use downloaded regions. The only instructions I could find said to ctrl + shift + alt + r and select the bitmap on the new region map, but this seems to be a lot more complicated than that.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Sanzuo posted:

I don't seem to know how to use downloaded regions. The only instructions I could find said to ctrl + shift + alt + r and select the bitmap on the new region map, but this seems to be a lot more complicated than that.
You need to extract the folder into C:\Users\<yourname>\Documents\SimCity 4\Regions where all the other crap is, the you should just be able to load it from the main menu.

If you put it in the regions folder in your game directory it doesn't work, but i guess that distinction is a minor detail no readme.txt bothers to mention.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It sucks being in that awkward phase between low and medium density. It's like city puberty. I swear to god, though, all these rich sims need to go. About 1000 of them are commuting to a single loving building, which is murdering my road system because none of them will take the bus.

Schorsch posted:

Looks like poo poo but is rendered without any plugins. I forgot to do some smoothing on a few coasts, too.

How are you taking region screenshots like that?

Sanzuo posted:

Use tools like SC4 Mapper and SC4 Terraformer instead of loading it through the game, which takes forever and doesn't work most of the time. The region will come out with funky colored terrain and you'll have to load up and save every city tile if you want them to match your terrain. Also add trees manually, I guess.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Giggily posted:

Use tools like SC4 Mapper and SC4 Terraformer instead of loading it through the game, which takes forever and doesn't work most of the time. The region will come out with funky colored terrain and you'll have to load up and save every city tile if you want them to match your terrain. Also add trees manually, I guess.

Huh, I don't recall loading a heightmap directly into the game not working, although I haven't done it that many times either.
What takes time/can "break" when doing it is actually the game loading all the city tiles and rendering previews of them. That, combined with the problem where the game just produces a flat field for region tile if you switch away from it while it's saving means that you have to basically leave the game focused and screensaver etc. disabled for possibly hours when loading in a heightmap like that.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

nielsm posted:

Huh, I don't recall loading a heightmap directly into the game not working, although I haven't done it that many times either.
What takes time/can "break" when doing it is actually the game loading all the city tiles and rendering previews of them. That, combined with the problem where the game just produces a flat field for region tile if you switch away from it while it's saving means that you have to basically leave the game focused and screensaver etc. disabled for possibly hours when loading in a heightmap like that.

It takes me like a minute to render a region using those tools I listed. On the other hand they don't come rendered in game properly, but that isn't such a big deal to me since I like going through all of the tiles and adding in trees to make it ~immersive~.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

You need to extract the folder into C:\Users\<yourname>\Documents\SimCity 4\Regions where all the other crap is, the you should just be able to load it from the main menu.

If you put it in the regions folder in your game directory it doesn't work, but i guess that distinction is a minor detail no readme.txt bothers to mention.

Ughh, well obviously! Thanks.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

It seems like people's screenshots have far more attractive night lights than I do...am I missing a lighting effect mod, or am I just high?

Fewd posted:

None right now, I reinstalled the game earlier while trying to solve my crashes. I had Old Fashioned pack at one point too and it was crashing with that.

You might have a point with trees being odd though, because when the region is zoomed out like when it is when you start up the game, I can see trees on the map. When I select an area and zoom in, there's not a single tree. Don't know what that means or how it's connected though.

I just went through this exactly, and yes, when I switched to the Old Fashioned collection from the OP, the region started working perfectly. No crashes while placing the first whatever.

Beautiful region, by the way.

edit: Oh son of a bitch, this was way at the beginning of the last page. I can't believe I still do that.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 12, 2013

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg
God drat, I love this game but it's so crash happy playing it kind of sucks. I've done the launch options to run on 1 core at high priority and I'm using software rendering, and still constant random crashes. I can't see any pattern to it, it just all of a sudden shits the bed. :( The only mods I'm using are NAM, CAM, the Opera House fix, I-HT fix (datpacked), and Spaceport fix. Anyone have any other ideas I can try?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Ladies and gentlemen....

Seastead.

This libertarian paradise and bastion of free men is the ultimate in free-market success. With a thriving industry thanks to its complete lack of emission standards, and a population situated conveniently close to its thriving industrial centre, it is a phenomenal, self-sufficient (save for a few piddling things like fresh water; this needs to be pumped in from the mainland in order to ensure the freedom of our industrial emissions standards), island paradise. Garbage pickup is still a problem, however once the free market adjusts we'll have streets as clean and uncluttered as our ideology.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Status of my region, after my main city went over 500K pop, it was time to develop the coast although I'm to lazy to fill the rest, now :(

Disgustipated posted:

God drat, I love this game but it's so crash happy playing it kind of sucks. I've done the launch options to run on 1 core at high priority and I'm using software rendering, and still constant random crashes. I can't see any pattern to it, it just all of a sudden shits the bed. :( The only mods I'm using are NAM, CAM, the Opera House fix, I-HT fix (datpacked), and Spaceport fix. Anyone have any other ideas I can try?

Try maybe just without NAM, or with other resolution. Try using this program to modify the startup, http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28544-sc4-launcher/

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Finally found this thread. I'm playing this on Mac, and I was wondering if anyone's had any luck getting cheats to work? I'm bloody terrible at this game, and am more or less just loving around.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Squiggle posted:

I just went through this exactly, and yes, when I switched to the Old Fashioned collection from the OP, the region started working perfectly. No crashes while placing the first whatever.

Beautiful region, by the way.

Really? Okay, I might be remembering wrong then because I tested a few different packs. It's so hard to choose :saddowns:

Gonna check the non-plugin one when I get home, always good to have a version you can play with any plugin pack. Especially since I can't decide which one's the keeper. So far my pluginboner seems to have taken a slight turn towards Killhour's since it seemed to have less cheesy/cheaty stuff crowding the build menus than the other ones I tried.

Disgustipated posted:

Try -EH:off launch option. I have no idea whatsoever what it's supposed to do but according to random internet blather it can help with crashes.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 12, 2013

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010

Giggily posted:

How are you taking region screenshots like that?

Region Census: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=913

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.

Giggily posted:

It sucks being in that awkward phase between low and medium density. It's like city puberty. I swear to god, though, all these rich sims need to go. About 1000 of them are commuting to a single loving building, which is murdering my road system because none of them will take the bus.

Can I ask what sea walls those are in the picture? Are they in Punch's pack?

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Anyone had any luck with the mod packs on the Mac version? I tried the big 1.7 gig one from the OP and it locks up my laptop the second I load up a city. Ugh. Tried starting a new one and got the same problem.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I installed the Old Fashioned pack, and while it looks nice, it slows the game to a crawl. I can't figure out why, since it's not using more than 50% CPU and less than 4gb of ram is utilised while it's running.

I have an i5 2500k with 8gb of ram and a 560ti. Nothing this old should run that badly. It was fine with just the traffic mod installed. Any idea what I've done wrong?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Breetai posted:

Ladies and gentlemen....

Seastead.

This libertarian paradise and bastion of free men is the ultimate in free-market success. With a thriving industry thanks to its complete lack of emission standards, and a population situated conveniently close to its thriving industrial centre, it is a phenomenal, self-sufficient (save for a few piddling things like fresh water; this needs to be pumped in from the mainland in order to ensure the freedom of our industrial emissions standards), island paradise. Garbage pickup is still a problem, however once the free market adjusts we'll have streets as clean and uncluttered as our ideology.

I think I'm going to work on my biggest ever dirty industrial city yet, just going for maximum pollution. I kinda miss those factories from SC3K with the vats of green goo, they looked cool.

By the way, if you press G you'll get rid of that grid on your land (it'll still appear around your cursor so you can work with it).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

I installed the Old Fashioned pack, and while it looks nice, it slows the game to a crawl. I can't figure out why, since it's not using more than 50% CPU and less than 4gb of ram is utilised while it's running.

I have an i5 2500k with 8gb of ram and a 560ti. Nothing this old should run that badly. It was fine with just the traffic mod installed. Any idea what I've done wrong?

Try removing the terrainmods (just drag out the folder) in the pack and then switch it to Software Rendering mode, because Hardware Mode is bugged out on modern cards and can slow things to hell, but the terrainmods in the pack requires it.

If that does turn out to be the cause, you can replace it with Meadowwood (Meadowshire?) or Columbus terrain mods from LEX, which don't require Hardware Mode. Or just leave it be with Vanilla, but I'm crazy like that.

This should possibly be in the OP, since some setups will have it really bad whilst others will run alright in Hardware.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 12, 2013

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

KillHour posted:

The only other one is SC4 Devotion, which has such a horrible community that I'm pretty sure even the server they run it on has autism.

Didn't one of the admins once threaten a guy with a lawsuit for the crime of having an alt account?

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
drat you guys!

My Internet got capped 2 weeks out from the next refresh date so this thread came up just in time. I loaded up the OPs old pack and I'm currently building on Fhuzo.

Great map. I think you really need a realistic looking landscape to keep the boredom down. If you are just building on a flat plain it feels too unrealistic and the game loses a lot of its beauty. I'm still learning how to use everything though and with capped Internet it is drat near impossible to download threads full of images on other forums.

I'll start taking pics but won't be able to upload for a few weeks.

E: is there a way to take bigger photos? I can't even fit a single pic in with the in game camera. Am I relegated to screen grabs?

Screen grabs are the easiest way.

BrassRoots fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 12, 2013

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Fewd posted:

Try -EH:off launch option. I have no idea whatsoever what it's supposed to do but according to random internet blather it can help with crashes.
Have that set too. I'm running NAM 31, so maybe I'll try a different NAM version to see if that helps.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Jefferoo posted:

Anyone had any luck with the mod packs on the Mac version? I tried the big 1.7 gig one from the OP and it locks up my laptop the second I load up a city. Ugh. Tried starting a new one and got the same problem.

I'm afraid it's very tough to get anything to work on Mac with SC4, lots of packs are dependent on Windows only stuff AFAIK. It plays like poo poo on OSX anyway, I specifically made a Windows partition for SC4 on my MBP a couple of years ago and that worked wayyy better.

Bad for your battery life though.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

*PUNCH* posted:

The Old-Fashioned Pack

One thing you should know about this pack: the very beautiful HD terrain mods unfortunately require the game to be run in hardware mode; if hardware mode gives you trouble, delete the folder “terrainmods” and it should run in software with little trouble.

By the way, most folders under the Terrain Mods folder, including terrainmods, are duplicated under the Everything Else folder. :ssh:

Just happened to notice earlier when I tried to separate all the terrain mods from the rest of your pack earlier. (I got confused and gave up, for the record)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Starhawk posted:

Can I ask what sea walls those are in the picture? Are they in Punch's pack?

They're in the Old-Fashioned pack.

Wow, it makes city borders look really weird and obvious.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
You can turn off the grid in the region view so you can sperg about making forests blend like me.

Carolus
Dec 21, 2009
Noob question, but I take it the various modpacks in the OP doesnt work together right? Only choose 1?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

What region is that. I want it now.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
I haven't played any Sim City since 2000, and I picked this up to ease the wait for the new one. I've been playing this so much I haven't bought 5 yet, and I may not for a while. I'm having way too much fun. Also, I just want to say thank you for putting the Ypsilanti Brick Dick in the Old Fashioned pack. That really made my day.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

nutranurse posted:

Seconded, that's a beautiful region.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

nutranurse posted:

Grand Fromage posted:

Seconded, that's a beautiful region.

It's a version of Alanuk, which I missed around in with SC4terraformer because the region absolutely refused to import right.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So I just went back to give this game a chance (played once or twice, never more than an hour or two) after avoiding SC5 and was doing all right until I saw this thread and the Fhuzo region linked on the OP :swoon:

Now I HAVE to fill that chunk of land. Except attempting to build/zone/do-anything in it causes the game to crash. In the default/region I'm playing, everything is working fine. I don't have any mods installed since I'm just trying to get a feel for the gameplay first. Help?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So I just went back to give this game a chance (played once or twice, never more than an hour or two) after avoiding SC5 and was doing all right until I saw this thread and the Fhuzo region linked on the OP :swoon:

Now I HAVE to fill that chunk of land. Except attempting to build/zone/do-anything in it causes the game to crash. In the default/region I'm playing, everything is working fine. I don't have any mods installed since I'm just trying to get a feel for the gameplay first. Help?

You should really be using mods anyways, as for the most part they're just aesthetic changes or fixes for broken systems.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
Check the version linked on page 5; the one in the OP has custom trees that only work with the old fashioned pack. I'll add the other version to the OP here in a sec.

(Sorry for being a little AWOL, real life is once again encroaching on my game time.)

edit: also, there's a new tree controller out on the LEX. It looks really, really pretty. I'm going to try it out and see how it looks for the next version of the pack. For those who want to as well, it's here: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2959 For the record, I can add this controller without removing support for the old trees (tree controllers just affect what gets planted in God Mode,) so if it makes it into the pack, it won't retroactively gently caress up your cities or whatever. Dependencies are in the readme; the list is quite long.

*PUNCH* fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 13, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Giggily posted:

You should really be using mods anyways, as for the most part they're just aesthetic changes or fixes for broken systems.

Well, fine. Downloading the Old-Fashioned Pack and try the empty version of the region which is what I should be using.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

A small excerpt of what is quickly becoming the most hilarious part of my city.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Giggily posted:

A small excerpt of what is quickly becoming the most hilarious part of my city.

Haha, hate it when that happens, time for the bulldozers.

Time for some images.

This is Valois a suburban town just west of my main city.

It's downtown

And the Main City.

The night in the game is a real beauty.

Some of my firsts skycraspers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

*PUNCH* posted:

Check the version linked on page 5; the one in the OP has custom trees that only work with the old fashioned pack. I'll add the other version to the OP here in a sec.

(Sorry for being a little AWOL, real life is once again encroaching on my game time.)

edit: also, there's a new tree controller out on the LEX. It looks really, really pretty. I'm going to try it out and see how it looks for the next version of the pack. For those who want to as well, it's here: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2959 For the record, I can add this controller without removing support for the old trees (tree controllers just affect what gets planted in God Mode,) so if it makes it into the pack, it won't retroactively gently caress up your cities or whatever. Dependencies are in the readme; the list is quite long.

I'm gonna try it too but look at that dependencies list!
EDIT:
:allears:

hello i am phone fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 13, 2013

• Locked thread