Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Chortles posted:

Hell, we're still stuck with the action menu and number-row/function-keys squad commanding instead of number-row weapons/equipment. :ughh: Although at least the spacebar in the Arma 3 keybinds preset is basically the "context-sensitive action" key instead of just Enter/Return, and I intend to rebind the "long gun/sidearm swap" key to something close to my left hand or to a mouse button.

Hey, it actually makes sense!

In Arma games, you have your main rifle, your pistol (which 99% of the time is left unused) and maybe an AT launcher.
In the other hand, there is a good number of orders, it's not exactly 3 or 4.

So it makes sense to assign the order system to the number row, because there are 10 of them, and not to waste 10 keys to weapon assignmet because this isn't Quake or Half Life where you equip and use 10 weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
112MB patch just now. No change log though. A bit annoying.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

What exactly is the point of the mirror on the left skid of the little bird? Is it a real life thing to look at the underside to check for leaks?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

112MB patch just now. No change log though. A bit annoying.

I only got a 112MB patch on the development build.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

VarXX posted:

I only got a 112MB patch on the development build.

Yeah I should have been clearer. Sort of assumed that everyone used it.

Edit:
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149636-Development-branch-changelog
Change log for dev-build thread. Just got posted.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 12, 2013

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Apologies if it's already been posted but has Dyslexi released his gear customizer script he showed in that video? Wanna play dress up.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Any seagull updates?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jippa posted:

Any seagull updates?

Yes:

Cross-joining default and Development branch disabled in MP

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jippa posted:

Any seagull updates?

Press Numpad 0 to switch to dive bombing mode and back.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Rubber Slug posted:

Wait, is that really their official stance?

A very long time ago, in a thread prior to arma 2 coming out, someone with a BI tag stated that they were opposed to women soldiers because it was "immoral" to kill women.

People have been asking for female soldiers since OFP, prominent female community members like theavonlady even. BI has ignored at every point, excuses about animating skeletons not being worth the development time or the aforementioned "immorality" of putting women in harms way (women are like children don't you know, it's extra distasteful to kill them).

This was the last thread on the subject, the polls clearly show a majority for female soldiers but the thread was full of misogynistic, paternalistic, bullshit.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?119587-They-better-have-female-soldiers

edit: of course they had women in arma 2, they just couldn't hold a gun or drive a car!

astropika fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 12, 2013

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Does Germany or any other countries have a history of censoring games with female soldiers? I know BI doesn't put gore in the ARMA games so as not to run into trouble in Germany.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I don't think so, they just have a problem with gore.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
I want a stylish mixed sex Communist guerilla army. :colbert:

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Turin Turambar posted:

So it makes sense to assign the order system to the number row, because there are 10 of them, and not to waste 10 keys to weapon assignmet because this isn't Quake or Half Life where you equip and use 10 weapons.

This is horseshit.

What the gently caress does "3" mean? How the gently caress am I supposed to remember "0-8" gets me to the support menu?

As far as I'm concerned, every game should use Tribes's VGS system. :colbert:

tjones
May 13, 2005

Praseodymi posted:

What exactly is the point of the mirror on the left skid of the little bird? Is it a real life thing to look at the underside to check for leaks?

To see underneath and behind the aircraft. Landing in confined spaces can be a bitch sometimes if you don't have crew to help guide you in.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OFP's Resistance add-on included woman civilians who were animated just like all other characters so they could also carry weapons normally.

Armed Assault had only one woman model, the reporter. IIRC she could be used as a normal character with a bit of hacking but was animated differently (only meant for cutscenes) so her hands looked surreal. OTOH the default player voices options included one female voice set and you could customize your face, so you could play as a burly but pretty-faced woman with a feminine voice.

Arma 2 had several civilian women that were animated differently from male models (could only walk, sprint and crouch) and couldn't get on vehicles except as passengers, and even then their poses were mostly off. Women in Arma 2 are akin to animals in this regard. Yeah, think about that for a moment.

But I really wouldn't put much to what some BI employee or forum moderator says on their fora as far as their official stance goes. They have to deal with the worst of BI clientele all the time, they say stupid things in response all the time.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

tjones posted:

To see underneath and behind the aircraft. Landing in confined spaces can be a bitch sometimes if you don't have crew to help guide you in.

Which makes me wish there was full 6 Degrees of freedom modeling inside helicopters. It would really add in both figuring the height and making the most out of the small windows if you could move your head around.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Which makes me wish there was full 6 Degrees of freedom modeling inside helicopters. It would really add in both figuring the height and making the most out of the small windows if you could move your head around.

I thought that with TIR in the helicoptors there was 6DOF

EDIT: I just tested it with the helicoptors, there is MOST certainly 6DOF in them.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 12, 2013

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mederlock posted:

I'm sure there is (I haven't played it) but this isn't the case in Arma 2 or current Arma 3. If the final Arma 3 will implement that then I'm a happy camper. Also will likely strain my neck.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Nenonen posted:

But I really wouldn't put much to what some BI employee or forum moderator says on their fora as far as their official stance goes. They have to deal with the worst of BI clientele all the time, they say stupid things in response all the time.

I agree, but their actions speak louder than their words.

In a near-future simulation which is part of a series that takes pride in military authenticity it makes no sense to exclude women who are, in the present day, serving in combat roles in many armies.

Either they're incredibly lazy (well ok, yes, we know that) or they are actually opposed.

Talking about military authenticity, I hope the gun names in the alpha are placeholders, I have no idea what any of this stuff is without real names and calibers.

astropika fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 12, 2013

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Nenonen posted:

I'm sure there is (I haven't played it) but this isn't the case in Arma 2 or current Arma 3. If the final Arma 3 will implement that then I'm a happy camper. Also will likely strain my neck.

It most definitely is the case with current Arma 3.

*edit*

astropika posted:

Talking about military authenticity, I hope the gun names in the alpha are placeholders, I have no idea what any of this stuff is without real names and calibers.

This page might be helpful for you: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/ArmA_3

GuardianOfAsgaard fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 12, 2013

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

bartkusa posted:

This is horseshit.

What the gently caress does "3" mean? How the gently caress am I supposed to remember "0-8" gets me to the support menu?

As far as I'm concerned, every game should use Tribes's VGS system. :colbert:

Same way you remember "3" is "shotgun" in other games??

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

astropika posted:

I agree, but their actions speak louder than their words.

In a near-future simulation which is part of a series that takes pride in military authenticity it makes no sense to exclude women who are, in the present day, serving in combat roles in many armies.

Either they're incredibly lazy (well ok, yes, we know that) or they are actually opposed.

No, they aren't placeholders as far as we know. The Katiba is basically a KH2002 using a caseless 6.5mm round, but the MX is basically a made up gun inspired by various prototype designs, using a cased(not sure, it may be caseless as well?) 6.5mm round. There are several types of experimental ammunition in the 6-7mm range, so it's really not that far fetched.

And you would have no idea if they're lazy or not, or what's entailed in the work they do, unless you know, you actually work there, so keep the insults with absolutely no evidence to support it out of here.

Re: Women, I don't see why not having them is such a big deal in a loving military video game. They're a small studio that have a lot of other stuff to work on, like more vehicles and features and all sorts of poo poo, then to worry about getting new models, new animations, voice acting, change/add clothing models, and all the other stuff that goes with it. It would be cool if they added in civilian women that weren't useless like they were in OA, but regardless, I'd rather see them add new stuff then worry about this. Anyways, if you want to argue or discuss about women in combat arms, this isn't the thread to do it in. Take it to GiP.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

astropika posted:

No, they just realize that nobody really gives a poo poo. How many sales depend on this? I'd estimate zero.

The weird guns are the least of the problem for me. Getting into the proper mood with a futuristic wargame with a ridiculous setting is much harder than with a cold war game or a contemporary game with a semi-realistic setting (or fully realistic setting with Operation Arrowhead). If my illusion of US and Iranian armies fighting on Greek islands 20 years from now depends on Bohemian's ability to tell a story as seen with Armed Assault 1 then I can't wait for a cold war total conversion. Which is kind of unfortunate. I do want to give them a chance, at least.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

It most definitely is the case with current Arma 3.

My bad then, either I hadn't tried helicopters after updating the TrackIR client or I somehow missed it. Anyway I'm a happy camper now.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 12, 2013

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Mederlock posted:

And you would have no idea if they're lazy or not, or what's entailed in the work they do, unless you know, you actually work there, so keep the insults with absolutely no evidence to support it out of here.

Re: Women, I don't see why not having them is such a big deal in a loving military video game. They're a small studio that have a lot of other stuff to work on, like more vehicles and features and all sorts of poo poo, then to worry about getting new models, new animations, voice acting, change/add clothing models, and all the other stuff that goes with it. It would be cool if they added in civilian women that weren't useless like they were in OA, but regardless, I'd rather see them add new stuff then worry about this. Anyways, if you want to argue or discuss about women in combat arms, this isn't the thread to do it in. Take it to GiP.

I don't really want to argue about this here, but doing a skeletal animation and a model is not a significant amount of work compared to the rest of the game. Remember, they actually *had* a female voice acted in arma, presumably that would need to be redone though.

People (including myself) have been asking for this for 10 years now and the longer it goes on the more obvious an omission it is.

Regardless of how big a deal it is to you, every woman I've known who plays ofp/arma has been pissed off about it for a decade. I'm sure adding an extra gun is far more important than having demographically representative military forces.

astropika fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 12, 2013

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

astropika posted:

I don't really want to argue about this here, but doing a skeletal animation and a model is not a significant amount of work compared to the rest of the game. Remember, they actually *had* a female voice acted in arma, presumably that would need to be redone though.

People (including myself) have been asking for this for 10 years now and the longer it goes on the more obvious an omission it is.

Regardless of how big a deal it is to you, every woman I've known who plays ofp/arma has been pissed off about it for a decade. I'm sure adding an extra gun is far more important than having demographically representative military forces.

Indeed. If they bothered with making a ton of different complexions, why couldn't they add female soldiers? Maybe skip a few male skins if the workload is so high. Animation could be exactly the same. I mean, it's not like women run differently or anything. It's not a anime game with weird animations that are supposed to be sexy (creepy) or whatever. There is nothing wrong with the animations on the female character model in DayZ. The problem with leaving this to modders is that the mods will only be used in single player really. I mean how many servers will have admins that go "Oh yeah, mustn't forget to allow the female soldiers mod".

VVV: Or when they decide to change an already existing mission and make it worse. Like the dynamic zombie mission. This dude thinks it's a great idea to have everyone but himself be without a weapon. In in pitch black night setting. With nothing at all. Yes. Have fun now guys.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 12, 2013

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

People were talking about how a lot of exploits were the fault of poorly-scripted missions and incompetent server admins. I just joined a random coop game that had a buggy respawn mechanic, where after you die, it teleports you back to your death point but in an invincible and immobile state, and you either wait for somebody to give you first aid or respawn back at base.

If I was 'dead' on top of another 'dead' player, I could break out of the immobile state by giving them first aid, so I was permanently invincible. I had some fun spawn-camping my teammates while they ineffectually emptied whole clips into me, until I crashed a chopper ( and survived ) and then the server went down.

So basically, pubbie servers in a nutshell.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Elth posted:

People were talking about how a lot of exploits were the fault of poorly-scripted missions and incompetent server admins. I just joined a random coop game that had a buggy respawn mechanic, where after you die, it teleports you back to your death point but in an invincible and immobile state, and you either wait for somebody to give you first aid or respawn back at base.

The root of all exploits for the real virtuality engine is that you can just inject scripting commands and they'll be run.

Battleye and all the checking in the dayz mission etc are bandaids.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Mederlock posted:

Sorry you can't just throw the discussion away. Right when Bohemia is done modeling the venomous snakes and giving anti-venom to medics, they better put women in. And also add some faces that don't look like assholes.

I've seen the faces of real army men and they look like they're ready to drink some Dew and play some Halo. These guys look like GI Joes ugly cousin.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Elth posted:

If I was 'dead' on top of another 'dead' player, I could break out of the immobile state by giving them first aid, so I was permanently invincible. I had some fun spawn-camping my teammates while they ineffectually emptied whole clips into me, until I crashed a chopper ( and survived ) and then the server went down.

So basically, pubbie servers in a nutshell.
Mind you, said pubbie server was probably also running off of someone's desktop that they were playing from as well... but yeah, I'm not surprised at the forums would rather blame BattlEye than "the modders/mission makers" who are on a pedestal.

astropika posted:

The root of all exploits for the real virtuality engine is that you can just inject scripting commands and they'll be run.

Battleye and all the checking in the dayz mission etc are bandaids.
The more fundamental problem here is that apparently said "inject scripting commands and they'll be run" is how a bunch of the user-made missions are built, and considering how few of the devs apparently even know the engine inside-and-out anyway, I'm not sure that any of them knows how to even "start from scratch" (cost/benefit ratio in time aside*) much less revise the engine to do things differently -- and that's before the inevitable backlash they'd catch from the modders/mission makers.

* Recall that the "Steamworks announcement" devblog basically implied that when the decision to go Steamworks was made it would have taken them over a year to implement a bunch of the stuff that they were working on had they not had help from outside in Valve.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

the black husserl posted:

Sorry you can't just throw the discussion away. Right when Bohemia is done modeling the venomous snakes and giving anti-venom to medics, they better put women in. And also add some faces that don't look like assholes.

I've seen the faces of real army men and they look like they're ready to drink some Dew and play some Halo. These guys look like GI Joes ugly cousin.

I'm not trying to throw the discussion out, I just don't see it as a priority GOTY feature like a lot of people make it out to be. Yes, it would be nice, and I'm not opposed to them adding them, but it can come later down the development path instead of everyone getting angry about the lack of them in an already extremely limited, content-wise, alpha.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Mederlock posted:

I'm not trying to throw the discussion out, I just don't see it as a priority GOTY feature like a lot of people make it out to be. Yes, it would be nice, and I'm not opposed to them adding them, but it can come later down the development path instead of everyone getting angry about the lack of them in an already extremely limited, content-wise, alpha.

This isn't about the alpha though, it's about the full game.

None of the publicity stills have featured women, there's been no word from BI about it and they've not added women to any of the previous games where people have asked for it, the profile menu is the same as arma 2.

I would be very very surprised if women soldiers got implemented before release.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

DnA posted:

Quick update: a new Development version should be published now. This one has a version number incompatible with the default branch. Do note that we will change that specific number again tomorrow to be more consistent. The main point is: cross-joining between the branches will no longer be possible.
Note that among the changes was the changing of the Ifrit (RED) classname from "O_Galkin_F" to "O_Ifrit_F", any goon using them in your missions should rename them in your mission.sqm files. Unfortunately, in this build apparently the Helicopter Showcase got hosed up...

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Mederlock posted:

EDIT: I just tested it with the helicoptors, there is MOST certainly 6DOF in them.

What? There wasn't when I tried. Did you do anything other than enable the TrackIR controller to get it working?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ralith posted:

What? There wasn't when I tried. Did you do anything other than enable the TrackIR controller to get it working?

Go into your settings and make sure that all the settings labelled 'Head' are bound correctly to the TrackIR, such as 'Head left' and 'Head up'. It worked when I bound it to a slider on my joystick as a test, but who knows, there could be a bug with its function when used with the TIR.

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011

astropika posted:

This isn't about the alpha though, it's about the full game.

None of the publicity stills have featured women, there's been no word from BI about it and they've not added women to any of the previous games where people have asked for it, the profile menu is the same as arma 2.

I would be very very surprised if women soldiers got implemented before release.

Or if at all. I'd be really surprised. It's little more than an aesthetic change and is so far out of their consideration at this point, it'll probably not even make it in the first iteration of the game.

But, BIS does love adding free content after release. Flashpoint got the Kiowa, ArmA got the Warfare upgrade which also included USMC troops and Woodland troops, and ArmA 2 got the Eagle Wing campaign. If they add female troops, they'll be added in post launch via a content pack update.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

SkopeDog posted:

Or if at all. I'd be really surprised. It's little more than an aesthetic change and is so far out of their consideration at this point, it'll probably not even make it in the first iteration of the game.

I dunno if women are really an "aesthetic" but I'm poorly read on Judith Butler. Still seeing as it purports to be a military simulator, accurately simulating the women who serve in the world's militaries would be cool.

Especially since the feminazis that run America will probably have banned men entirely by 2035, leaving us only with madchensoldaten to defend the homeland.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ralith posted:

CHKilroy was definitely using 6DOF in his stream on launch day, and Dyslexci said something about making sure the setting was ticked. :shrug:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SkopeDog posted:

But, BIS does love adding free content after release. Flashpoint got the Kiowa, ArmA got the Warfare upgrade which also included USMC troops and Woodland troops, and ArmA 2 got the Eagle Wing campaign. If they add female troops, they'll be added in post launch via a content pack update.
Mind you, I remember Eagle Wing basically being both Karel "Gaia" Moricky's personal project and a de facto apology for the severe release bugginess of Arma 2.

By the way, re: "script injection is how missions work"... just found this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

SkopeDog posted:

Like I said before, why bother with ethnic diversity (and sheer amount of faces to choose from) in the game. Could just have one face with one skin colour. Or one face with multiple colours. After all, it's just aesthetics.