Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I think I'm gonna go on my first Journey tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dross posted:

Do it. It's a cool game. There's really no excuse not to play it because the only thing it demands from you is an hour and a half of your time.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dross posted:

Journey is such a good game and I think I posted this when I first played it, but I wish I could icepick the part of my brain storing the memories of the game and play it again brand new. :allears:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Well I am going to rub salt in the wound. I have yet to buy or play through it. So I get to experience it for the first time and you don't. :colbert:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Nooooooo :smith:

Yeah well I'm a big enough person that I am happy to hear that you'll have a good experience soon! :colbert:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Journey has become a game that you have to play. How many other games are like that? I guess Super Mario 64, Pong, Chrono Trigger.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Well I am going to rub salt in the wound. I have yet to buy or play through it. So I get to experience it for the first time and you don't. :colbert:

Lucky. :smith:

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Liar Lyre posted:

Journey has become a game that you have to play. How many other games are like that? I guess Super Mario 64, Pong, Chrono Trigger.

Just started Journey and blown away, with this and Uncharted 3, I'm happy right now.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Liar Lyre posted:

Who needs to play Pong? I'd also say that if I were to make anyone play any Mario game I'd have them play either Galaxy over 64.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Need a memory erasing machine so you all can play Journey again. And other stuff.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Harlock posted:

Need a memory erasing machine so you all can play Journey again. And other stuff.

Im going to need one for ever thinking that Aliens Colonial Marines was going to be a good game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

blackguy32 posted:

Im going to need one for ever thinking that Aliens Colonial Marines was going to be a good game.

But then you might accidentally erase knowing that A:CM is bad. Then you see A:CM and think "Sweet! An Aliens game!" and buy it. Then you'll have to erase your memories all over again.

Even worse, what if this has already happened?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That is a blight upon the soul that can never be washed off like Dragon Age 2. You carry that to your grave.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So yeah, the New Call of Juarez game looks pretty awesome? I heard it's going to be a digital release too. I'm glad they went back to the old west, Bound in Blood is probably one of my favorite shooters despite the fact that the characters you play as are complete slime. Though, I'd really love to have an open world game set in the old west from the first-person perspective. There's a potential market for that. Redemption was really awesome but something that has better gunplay (like in Call of Juarez) and a lot more things to do (like Skyrim) would be a perfect game for me.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

axleblaze posted:

Who needs to play Pong? I'd also say that if I were to make anyone play any Mario game I'd have them play either Galaxy over 64.

Super Mario World is the best Mario game ever made what is wrong with you people

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah SMW or 3. 64 kind of sucks in comparison.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yoshi's Island gets my vote for best Mario game :3:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any point to playing White Knight Chronicles 1 and importing your save?

Should I just skip right to 2?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there any point to playing White Knight Chronicles 1 and importing your save?

Should I just skip right to 2?
I'm not sure there's a reason to play either one. I heard 2 is better but only a little. 1 is awful.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

White Knight Chronicles 2 contains both games, don't even bother buying the original.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Never played Journey. I played the demo when it came out, but didn't buy it.

What type of "amazing" is it though? Is there a big ending or twist, or just a series of really cool moments?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

substitute posted:

What type of "amazing" is it though? Is there a big ending or twist, or a just series of really cool moments?

It's one really big cool moment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

substitute posted:

What type of "amazing" is it though? Is there a big ending or twist, or a just series of really cool moments?

It is one very very long cool moment.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's one really big cool moment.

ImpAtom posted:

It is one very very long cool moment.

These guys have it right.

I think the last two hours or so I had my jaw permanently dropped. It's just a really cool experience.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Ha, I have yet to play Journey either!
Not to threadshit, but I really don't see the fasination with it.
What makes it so good?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It's well made and gives a real emotional payoff.

Unless you have no soul.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

RadicalR posted:

What makes it so good?

It is just plain amazing co-op. You genuinely form a bond with your partner, in a way that I've never formed in any other game; hell, I have fonder memories of the person I played through with than I do with some people I know in real life.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
I'm worried about people setting their Journey expectations unrealistically high so I'm just chiming in to say that I put it down and left it halfway through.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

RadicalR posted:

What makes it so good?

It's everything you feel/experience while playing it. It's not like Civ 4 with super deep mechanics. It does have cool audio and visuals, but other than that it doesn't have much going for it in terms of traditional game design. You have to play it, you can't watch it or have it described to you.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tactical Grace posted:

I'm worried about people setting their Journey expectations unrealistically high so I'm just chiming in to say that I put it down and left it halfway through.
Yeah, I played it through and I guess the happy feelings hung with me for about a half hour after I finished, but then I went on to something else. It's not heroin in video game form or anything.

edit: interestingly, what I went on to is El Shaddai, which was also $15 but proved much more satisfying, in spite of not so great combat mechanics.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 14, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Journey is a really well made, beautiful game with an awesome soundtrack. The best thing you can do is go into it completely clean and without any expectations (which is hard I know considering all the praise it gets here) and what you get out of it in the end is pretty subjective. It's fairly cheap, not too long, pretty fun to play and to take in so there's really no excuse to not try it. There's also some replay value there if you're so inclined.

The thread title should be PlayStation 3 Games Discussion: Go play Journey. Now.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Policenaut posted:

White Knight Chronicles 2 contains both games, don't even bother buying the original.

Definitely get 2, although be aware that after playing WKC1 you've seen like 90% of 2's content. The amount of dungeon retreading in the game is insultingly lazy.

I genuinely liked the game though, it's got some entertaining cutscenes and a decent enough battle system, the characters aren't too annoying (apart from the racist-Indian-caricature rabbit things, they grate like hell)

Personally, also, I'd just bomb through the story and maybe do a couple of side quests if you get stuck on a boss, because the game's really grindy and not in a fun way

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Guys I just played through Journey! It was awesome! Yay! :dance:

I've had a PS3 for about 4 days and so far I pumped through Uncharted 2 and Journey and they've been two of the best games I've played in years. Now to get through Uncharted 3, LBP, inFamous and MGS4 before my little brother demands his console back.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wow, I could probably create a huge list as to why this God of War game is so utterly crap.

In short, however, I'll say that it feels like a game made for idiots.

Everything is telegraphed, taking all of the suspense of discovery out. Step in to an area, The camera pans to show you the path you should take to the door. Every item has a goddamn glowing sparkle on it to indicate interaction. See this slidey ramp? Let's show you the whole path so you know that at the bottom you'll need to jump and swing. Oh but don't worry, we'll slow-mo AND give you button prompts when you get there.

It all just feels like padding. SLIDE. FIGHT A LITTLE!. HEY SLIDE A LOT MORE! CLIMB THIS loving INSANELY LONG LADDER. WOOPS ANOTHER LADDER! HAHAH ISN'T THIS FUN?!

I know these aren't problems inherent with this iteration of God of War only. But man, it just feels like someone put the C-Team on this over at Santa Monica Studios and said "You know what? We need some money. Can you just go put out a God of War game? Thanks!"

Thank god I rented it. This game is just unengaging as gently caress. Even worse than 3. By a lot. And that's saying a ton.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is there a GoW:A thread or anything? It's really weird to me that a new GoW came out and nobody seems to care.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Feenix posted:

But man, it just feels like someone put the C-Team on this over at Santa Monica Studios

They did.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Which is probably at least part of the reason

ImpAtom posted:

a new GoW came out and nobody seems to care.

Of course there are other issues like the formula being well-worn at this point and GoW3 not lighting the world on fire (at least not outside the game) and GoW3 finishing the franchise etc etc. It's too bad -- I have platinum trophies in all three PS3 native GoWs, but really haven't been terribly psyched for this one. I'll probably pick it up cheaper later.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I mean, I looked back at my post, I sound angrier than I am. I'm not. I just think the game is moronic now. I know it's not THAT different than past versions, but it feels like they took the bullshit padding crap and just made a game out of it. Like trying to build a roast pig out of nothing but the fat-scraps.

It just feels like monotony. Do this. Now do this. Now do this. No no, don't worry... no need to think, we're going to literally tell you every single thing you need to do and show you how to do it so that you can do it! All you have to do is just do it. Ok? Do it. Do it. Do it.

Blah. At least the multiplayer is go...ahahahaha... nevermind. :p

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Is there a GoW:A thread or anything? It's really weird to me that a new GoW came out and nobody seems to care.
Doesn't seem all that weird to me. A lot of us here (gamers in general?) have been fatigued from the franchise and GOW3 was the perfect exit point.

They're squeezing so much blood from that stone it's crumbling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

ImpAtom posted:

Having played it for a few hours, it's the what, fourth prequel in this series, and it's the exact same loving thing. You could mad-lib your way through the God of War 3 thread and you'd have a perfectly acceptable GOW: A thread.

• Locked thread