Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Trailers:

: : :Mad Max: Fury Road Official Website: : :
· Facebook · Twitter · YouTube · Instagram · Tumblr ·
Mad Max: Fury Road OST · The Art of Mad Max: Fury Road

Okay, so you're new here. You know who Mel Gibson is, you've heard of such a thing as "Mad Max", but have no idea what a Fury Road is.

Fury Road is the fourth film in the Mad Max franchise. You could view it as a re-imagining or a reboot or whatever. Given the mythological structure of these films, even the first three movies were only vaguely connected to each other. Rather than being proper sequels, they're all loosely connected enough that you could take them as stand-alone films. The film's canon is less important than the hero myth being preserved. Well, that and the loving nuts vehicular mayhem. Though a critically important and hugely influential series, this fourth film has been a long time coming. It is important to note that George Miller, the original creator and director (he also made Babe: Pig In The City and the Happy Feet films), has managed to keep a hold of the rights to Max until he was ready to make a proper sequel himself. Regardless, below is a truncated history on this film's development, while the second OP post is reserved for the original three films and upcoming game:

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

It's here! Director George Miller has literally been working on the idea for over a decade. Seriously.

Rumours of new Mad Max material began in 1995 when talk of a TV show began to appear. It never happened, but in 1998, talk of a fourth movie started. George Miller later confirmed in 1999 that he had completed the script. Through to 2009, rumours spread over who would play the lead role, whether it would be Max or the a son of Max or even the Feral Kid from The Road Warrior grown to adulthood. Of course, Mel Gibson was brought up. He was confirmed, unconfirmed, said to play lead, said to be a cameo, and then dropped altogether. However, Heath Ledger, Michael Biehn, Guy Pearce, and Pam Grier were also mentioned. There was word it was going to be filmed in Southern Australia, then Morocco, then both locations, then only only Southern Australia, then Namibia, and then it was slated to be an anime. The movie even had a July 23rd, 2004 released date at one point. However, shooting kept being pushed back for all sorts of reasons, such as a rising Australian dollar or tensions in the filming locations.

Then, on October 24th 2009, a press conference announced that the movie was back on track. Miller stated that pre-production had already begun and the film was to begin shooting late 2010. Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron were confirmed to be starring in the lead roles as Max Rockatansky and Imperator Furiosa respectively. Massive amounts of rain delayed shooting in Broken Hill, Australia, though, as the desert was transformed from a barren wasteland to a verdant paradise. Miller wasn't idle; he kept working on scripts and planned an additional two movies. Mad Max: Furiosa was to be shot back to back with Mad Max: Fury Road, while he continued to work on the sixth script. However, a year later, Broken Hill was still too green for the film's needs, so shooting was moved back to Namibia, but didn't begin until June 2012. Original plans to shoot the film in 3D were changed to 3D conversion in the post-production process. Around this time, pictures of vehicles begin to get released into the wild and by 2013 a picture of Tom Hardy as Max was released. Of course, trouble seems to love Miller, and problems continue to plague him. The film has run over its budget and the studio wound up sending a suit to keep Miller on track. More recently, the film has come under fire from environmental groups for apparently destroying large portions of the desert ecosystem in Namibia (though the Namibia Film Commission denies this).

For detailed records on all this nonsense, MadMadMovies.com is a good place to start.

Back to Fury Road, it's finally here! Early reviews start coming in at Page 30.

: : : : :Mad Max: Fury Road FAQ: : : : :

Q: What did Max's back tattoo say?

A:

Q: Why was that one War Boy screaming "human being"?

A: He wasn't. He was screaming "fang it", which is Aussie slang for "go faster".

Q: Hold up, "ride for 160 days?" The logistical problems concerning this are troubling. If we were to take into account fuel and food consumption, this would clearly be an impossibility. Furthermore, the oceans aren't flat and blah blah blah fart--

A: Get this tactical realism bullshit out of here. You are not meant to take that line literally in this post-apocalyptic mythical battle car fairy tale. To quote forums poster LogisticEarth:

LogisticEarth posted:

The whole "160 days of salt" line isn't meant to be taken literally. It's Max's way of hammering home the point that they have no idea what to expect on any exodus across the salt flats, but that it's likely not good. Meanwhile they know the Citadel is there for the taking. "Hope", that they will find something better by running, is as he says, a mistake.

So yeah, I don't think it's correct to assume that the oceans are totally gone, just receded.

: : : : :Other stuff--: : : : :

StoicFnord posted:

Felt the need to make this smilie test as it had me in fits.

A Photoshop wizard might get something better.

TerminalBlue posted:

Oh, hah. I just finished making the same thing and was trying to talk myself into buying it.

Too slow.

I am...

Frankenstyle posted:

This film is about to test my marriage. Met a friend who's a dealership mechanic for an early lunch and was telling him how badly he needs to see the movie. At some point I was joking about how I feel like less of a man for not owning a V8 anymore, which turned in to him selling me an 07 police interceptor for cheap. My wife is due back in an hour and I really wish I had a spiked leather thong and a hockey mask to help bolster my augment that it was an absolutely necessary purchase.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

"We need to talk."

"NOOOOOOOO. NO MORE TAAAAAALK. WE GOOO IIIIIIIIIIIN. WE KIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLL."

e: Alternatively, hold her and whisper "BE STILL MY DOG OF WAR. I KNOW YOUR PAIN. WE HAVE ALL LOST MONEY. BUT WE DO THIS MY WAY."

VikingSkull posted:

Listen wife! This is the truth of it. Fighting leads to screaming, and screaming gets to divorcing. And that is drat near the death of half of us. Look at us now! Interceptored up, and everyone talking about sick burnouts! But we've learned, by the sales prowess of that dude... your husband learned. Now, when men get to buying, donuts happen here! And neutral drops here! Our bank account enters; my Valhalla leaves.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I must double post to bring you this gift from the Auspol crew thread:

Sally fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

MAX ROCKATANSKY

This is Max Rockatansky. He's a fella. A quick fella. He lives in Australia with his wife and kid, and works as a police man. He's good people. You know what they say, though: bad things happen to good people. And unfortunately for Max, the world he lives in has gone to poo poo. After losing his wife, kid, and best friend to psychopathic bikers, Max gets mad. Then he gets revenge.

Cue vehicular manslaughter.

But then he gets a dog and drives out into the desert wasteland to live out the rest of his life alone as a scavenger. However, what's left of society won't leave him alone and he gets pulled back in. This time he gets roped into fighting a war against an even bigger gang on behalf of a besieged people hunkered down in a desert refinery.

But then he gets a monkey and braves the desert wasteland as a scavenger once more. Learning from his past mistakes, he manages to avoid civilization long enough to grow his hair out. However, he eventually gets robbed and has to hoof it to a nearby city to get his gear back. After making a deal with the wrong sort of people, he gets entered into a gladiatorial arena. The deal doesn't play out as Max expects. He gets betrayed and is cast back out into the desert to die. He is found by The Lost Boys (and Girls), is given a haircut, and unwittingly creates a child army to (accidentally) take out his betrayers. Then he sacrifices himself to help the Lost Boys escape.

Max is down but he's not out. He's coming back.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

THE MAD MAX TRILOGY

Okay, so you wanna get caught up on Max's story, eh? There are three films you need to grab:

Mad Max (1979) * IMDB - 7/10 * Rotten Tomatoes - 95%

quote:

In the ravaged near future, a savage motorcycle gang rules the road. Terrorizing innocent civilians while tearing up the streets, the ruthless gang laughs in the fact of a police force bent on stopping them. But they underestimate one officer. Max Rockatansky (Mel Gibson). And when the bikers brutalize Max's best friend and family, they send him into a mad frenzy that leaves him with only one thing left in the world to live for--revenge!
Mad Max 2 aka The Road Warrior aka Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981) * IMDB - 7.6 * Rotten Tomatoes - 100%

quote:

In action movie annals, few compare with this full-throttle epic of speed and carnage that rockets you into a dreamlike landscape where the post-nuclear future meets the mythological past. More simply, it's also one of the most mind-blowing stunt movies every made. Under the direction of George Miller (Babe, Happy Feet), Mel Gibson first made his mark on movie history as heroic loner Max, who drives the roads of outback Australia in an unending search for gasoline. Arrayed against him and the other scraggly defenders of a fuel-depot encampment are the bizarre warriors commanded by The Humungus. With The Road Warrior on your side, screen action doesn't get any better.
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985) * IMDB - 6.1/10 * Rotten Tomatoes - 81%

quote:

Two men enter. One man leaves. That's the law in Bartertown's Thunderdome arena. But lawmaker Aunty Entity will soon add another: Don't get Max mad!
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome stars Mel Gibson (Lethal Weapon, Maverick) for his third go-round as the title hero who takes on the barbarians of the post-nuclear future--and this time becomes the savior of a tribe of lost children. Music superstar Tina Turner steals what's left of the screen as Aunty Entity, a power-mad dominatrix determined to use Max to tighten her stranglehold on Bartertown.
Directors George Miller and George Ogilvie deliver another rousing final apocalypse-on-wheels and one of the best movie fight scenes ever, as Max and the gladiatorial Blaster face off with maces, chainsaws and anything not nailed down inside Thunderdome. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome: watch and you'll agree with the soundtrack song that "We Don't Need Another Hero."

You can grab these individually, or--

For the first time ever the trilogy is being released as a proper Blu-Ray collection on June 4, 2013. No bootleg versions or cheap transfers or cuts with the awful American dub, but the proper versions. (Individual copies of The Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome are being released at the same time for anyone who already owns the Mad Max DVD+Blu-Ray combo). Note, this will be the first time Beyond Thunderdome has been released on Blu-Ray.

Don't want to wait? I don't blame you. Well, they're not too hard to find, nor are they too expensive. Use the internet or go down to your local pawn shop and grab a copy on DVD or VHS.

The trilogy is now available. You can find it in standard Blu-ray case or in a collectible tin. It sounds like there aren't a lot of bonus features. In fact, nothing that hasn't already been released is present in this collection. Still, it's the Mad Max Trilogy, and you can finally watch Beyond Thunderdome in Hi-def. Here's a couple of reviews for those curious:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/60345/mad-max-complete-trilogy/
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/876...ay+Disc+News%29

MAD MAX: THE GAME

Wrong Mad Max game. This one's coming out for the PS3, PS4, XBOX 360, XBOX ONE, and PC in 2014. No idea when this is coming out. It has likely been delayed, but no real news has been given about it. It's out, and it's pretty drat sweet! While it doesn't reinvent the open-world wheel, it's a drat fun gun for any Mad Max fan. Link to the is below. Check the OP to see if this is indeed the game for you:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717352

Sally fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 4, 2015

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Oh my god I had no idea I'm so excited jesus christ

NOT NOW GRANDPA
Dec 6, 2005

Holy gently caress.

I suddenly don't care about any other movie at all.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

This guy looks like a lot of fun to know.

Mad Max is a weird trilogy, because I don't think either the first or third movie compares to the fun insanity that is The Road Warrior.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I think it's Hugh Keays-Byrne, the fellow that played The Toecutter.

I doubt there's any connection to the character, though. Miller likes reusing actors in different roles for these films. Like Max Fairchild in 1 & 2 (as Benno and the "Broken Victim" respectively), and Bruce Spence in 2 & 3 (as the Gyro Captain and Jedidiah the Pilot respectively).

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Blimey, looking at those pics it's coming across more like a Riddick spin-off than a Mad Max film. That pale dude in the mask is certainly something...

Either way, Hardy and Theron = sold, the gloriously ridiculous cars are just the cherry on top.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Blimey, looking at those pics it's coming across more like a Riddick spin-off than a Mad Max film. That pale dude in the mask is certainly something...

Either way, Hardy and Theron = sold, the gloriously ridiculous cars are just the cherry on top.

Pale dude's not so much more ridiculous than this guy:

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Blind Sally posted:

I doubt there's any connection to the character, though. Miller likes reusing actors in different roles for these films. Like Max Fairchild in 1 & 2 (as Benno and the "Broken Victim" respectively), and Bruce Spence in 2 & 3 (as the Gyro Captain and Jedidiah the Pilot respectively).

The Gyro Captain and the pilot in Thunderdome are two different people? I recently re watched the trilogy and noticed that at the end where Max and the Lost Boys are escaping and Max sees the pilot and says "You've got an airplane." that its the first time he sees Bruce Spence's character's face in this movie. The only other time they crossed paths was in the beginning when he steals Max's truck and camels and he was wearing a mask at the time. Max never even sees the pilot in Bartertown because he's ducking him the whole time. After Max gets into town his vehicle and supplies have already been sold and are now in the possession of Master Blaster. It seems to me that the only way he could have immediately recognized the pilot and knew he had a plane was that they had a history together as he's the Gyro Captain. I always thought it was just a funny coincidence that the movie starts with Max being unknowingly gaffled by his comrade from the previous film

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

There is nothing ridiculous about the Lord Humungus, ayatollah of rock and rolla, you heathen.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

James Woods posted:

The Gyro Captain and the pilot in Thunderdome are two different people?
I think that George Miller always liked to keep these things fairly oblique. From Road Warrior onwards there's been a definite effort to present Max's story as a legend told in the wasteland. My favourite example of this is Lord Humungus being Goose. Originally the plan was to have this be directly stated in the film but instead they pulled it right back so you can interpret it that way based on the couple of clues in the film if you wish, but they're easy to miss and could even then be seen as coincidence. The Gyro Captain is the same, they could be the same person or it could be coincidence, there's no clear cut answer because they're just elements of the legend.

It also means they can bring back the Pursuit Special in Fury Road and that makes it all worthwhile.

Soylent Green fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 15, 2013

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

scary ghost dog posted:

It's a weird wasteland out there.

Must'n't forget about Ironbar:

Or Master Blaster

James Woods posted:

The Gyro Captain and the pilot in Thunderdome are two different people? I recently re watched the trilogy and noticed that at the end where Max and the Lost Boys are escaping and Max sees the pilot and says "You've got an airplane." that its the first time he sees Bruce Spence's character's face in this movie. The only other time they crossed paths was in the beginning when he steals Max's truck and camels and he was wearing a mask at the time. Max never even sees the pilot in Bartertown because he's ducking him the whole time. After Max gets into town his vehicle and supplies have already been sold and are now in the possession of Master Blaster. It seems to me that the only way he could have immediately recognized the pilot and knew he had a plane was that they had a history together as he's the Gyro Captain. I always thought it was just a funny coincidence that the movie starts with Max being unknowingly gaffled by his comrade from the previous film

True, but then there's also a scene where Jedediah clearly sees Max in Barter Town and smiles. Not in recognition of his old pal (The Gyro Captain loved Max and would have been all over him, insisting they be "partners" again), but because he knows he got away with selling off all his junk in the marketplace. I was always under the impression that Max recognized him at the finale because of film convenience (i.e., Max recognizes the pilot because we, the audience, recognize the pilot, and because it's ironic justice).

Furthermore, based on what the Feral Kid says at the end of The Road Warrior, the Gyro Captain was supposed to have become the leader of the Great Northern Tribe. Jedediah is just some dude with a kid living in a junkyard in the desert.

Lastly, I swear Jedediah has much nice teeth than the Gyro Captain has. I can't find any proper screen caps, so I could be off on this one, but I'll fast-forward through the movies again tonight to confirm this. (If true, I figured they were different characters because the Gyro Captain never would have been able to find proper dental work in the wasteland).

But to be fair, there's never been confirmation one way or the other from Miller--or if there has, I've never found it. So a lot of people on the internet argue whether or not they are one and the same character.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

My best memory of the series was renting the Mad Max DVD and seeing that there were 'English' and 'Australian' audio tracks. "I thought they spoke English in Australia?" I thought and loaded up the Australian. Cue the Night Rider scene and total gibberish :v:

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Those cars... this just rocketed up my list.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Oh gently caress yeah, a Mad Max thread is about the best idea anyone's ever had.

Fury Road could be absolute garbage, but I'm totally going to go see it with my dad. And it's going to rule.

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Terrifying Effigies posted:

My best memory of the series was renting the Mad Max DVD and seeing that there were 'English' and 'Australian' audio tracks. "I thought they spoke English in Australia?" I thought and loaded up the Australian. Cue the Night Rider scene and total gibberish :v:

It's SO much better in australian.
Btw the sound mixing in that movie is probably considered poo poo by modern standards but is actually absolutely fantastic, the ambient noises and radio chatter instantly come to my mind when I see anything Mad Max related.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

This says a whole lot about a whole lot of things. The American dub is awful.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Wait im confused, is the "English" track a terribly dubbing track or something?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

It's a godawful dub of the original lines with American voices and American slang that was done to try and make it more understandable for US audiences. The implications are obvious.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Nutsngum posted:

Wait im confused, is the "English" track a terribly dubbing track or something?

I'm pretty sure Terrible Effigies was having a go, but yeah, the American dub is atrocious. It's especially egregious considering how easy to understand the original track is.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWkSyF7tNgQ

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb1uDc_qa-4

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Bcov5SGU0
The Horrible American Dub

quote:

They dubbed in American voices because they didn't think American audiences would understand what they were saying.

Seriously.

quote:

Good thing they did, because I never would have understood what they were talking about otherwise. Is that bad? No. Nothing to apologize for. I'm not sorry I don't understand a strong English, Scottish or Australian classic accent corresponding slang, nor am I sorry they don't understand mine. Shrug.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Blind Sally posted:

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Bcov5SGU0
The Horrible American Dub

Man, I haven't seen this since I was like 14. It's brutal. It's funny to watch them in a row though because with the American accents I instinctively think the woman is driving since she's on the left side.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Blind Sally posted:

I'm pretty sure Terrible Effigies was having a go, but yeah, the American dub is atrocious. It's especially egregious considering how easy to understand the original track is.

At least on my region 2 DVD the Australian track is a bonus feature and the default is the dub, which really annoyed me. The Australian original is so much better.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Soylent Green posted:

My favourite example of this is Lord Humungus being Goose. Originally the plan was to have this be directly stated in the film but instead they pulled it right back so you can interpret it that way based on the couple of clues in the film if you wish, but they're easy to miss and could even then be seen as coincidence.

Whoa, I've never heard this. If that were true, Goose really worked out since getting out of the ER.

Anyway, I'm excited for these back to back Mad Max films. I've been waiting over a decade for "Fury Road".

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I watched the first Mad Max the other day and it's positively hilarious how bad the music cues are. Max's musical cue to the Goose in the hospital bed is just terrible.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Cantide posted:

It's SO much better in australian.
Btw the sound mixing in that movie is probably considered poo poo by modern standards but is actually absolutely fantastic, the ambient noises and radio chatter instantly come to my mind when I see anything Mad Max related.

Yeah, I was like 12-13 at the time and didn't know what the hell, and I've never gotten around to seeing it again since then. Guess this gives me a reason to see it properly!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

VoodooXT posted:

Whoa, I've never heard this. If that were true, Goose really worked out since getting out of the ER.

Just wait'll you see what miracles the doctors pulled reviving Mrs. Rockatansky. :unsmigghh:

Anyways, glad to see this new movie finally getting off the ground, after having heard it getting kicked around for years. Hopefully it'll be well worth the wait. That said, I really ought to get the blu-ray collection; I've never seen Beyond Thunderdome and feel as though I should, even if it really isn't as good as the previous two.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 16, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
What's even funnier is that here in Australia I'm pretty sure it's possible to buy a copy of Mad Max off of store shelves that only comes with the American dubbing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

James Woods posted:

I love whenever this is brought up because it glosses over the even more ridiculous fact that Max is so strong he can immediately get up and walk away from an airplane in flight colliding with the back of his head. Maybe the bump messed with his memory. :D.

Mad Max has always been my favorite film trilogy. In fact Heath Ledger had been my favorite actor ever not for The Dark Knight, but because he specifically turned down being Spider-Man to be the Great Leader of the Northern Tribe. I would have done the exact same thing. :aaaaa:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 16, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Mad Max is a weird trilogy, because I don't think either the first or third movie compares to the fun insanity that is The Road Warrior.

Road Warrior loving owns. There's like 5 lines of dialogue in the entire first 15 minutes of the movie.

The chase scenes are the most incredible thing to me from a modern standpoint, just because having an all-practical car chase with a shitload of vehicles and people is something that just doesn't happen anymore. Outside of The Good, The Bad, and The Weird.

I'm not looking forward to hearing teenagers complaining that Fury Road is "ripping off Fallout"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Road Warrior loving owns. There's like 5 lines of dialogue in the entire first 15 minutes of the movie.

The chase scenes are the most incredible thing to me from a modern standpoint, just because having an all-practical car chase with a shitload of vehicles and people is something that just doesn't happen anymore. Outside of The Good, The Bad, and The Weird.

I'm not looking forward to hearing teenagers complaining that Fury Road is "ripping off Fallout"

Fallout only recently got a (weird) car mod, so this might be safe. Also, to really be Fallout, the main character has to crash all the time.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

scary ghost dog posted:

Lord Humungus, a man who launched a thousand wrestling careers.

Sid, Kane, and Chris Jericho have all repped the Warrior of the Wasteland.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Blind Sally posted:

Lastly, I swear Jedediah has much nicer teeth than the Gyro Captain has. I can't find any proper screen caps, so I could be off on this one, but I'll fast-forward through the movies again tonight to confirm this. (If true, I figured they were different characters because the Gyro Captain never would have been able to find proper dental work in the wasteland).

Because I said I would:

The Gyro Captain's teeth are spotted and brown.

Jedediah's sparkle by comparison.

EDIT: Ugh, this is my proof:

EDIT: EDIT: His teeth just keep getting worse!

The Matrix:

LOTR:

Star Wars:

Sally fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 16, 2013

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I've been waiting for this for a long time. One of my friends minded a house of one the higher ups (can't remember what his role was) who had gone to Africa with the location scouts.
That was back in '02 or '03.

Long live the Road Warrior.

Go away CGI. It should be noted that Mad Max held the record of budget to gross ratio until Blair Witch Project came along. It really was just balls n duct tape.

Humungus is Goose? It thought it was indicated that he was ex-military but maybe a medal fancier is more likely. He has the insignia of my father's division, Totenkopf.

nimh fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 17, 2013

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
The weirdest thing about Mad Max is playing Fallout first, then watching the movies and catching all the references in reverse. There's a scene in Beyond Thunderdome where Max is stripped of all his weapons and I swear every gun taken off him is a gun they put in the game.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Silentgoldfish posted:

The weirdest thing about Mad Max is playing Fallout first, then watching the movies and catching all the references in reverse. There's a scene in Beyond Thunderdome where Max is stripped of all his weapons and I swear every gun taken off him is a gun they put in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n29c-q3_8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbZnr5oN168

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

All you did was wish for Ron Pearlman to be the narrator for the upcoming film. But yeah, Fallout is pretty much a love letter to all the post-apocalyptic films, books, ect. put out with some pop culture references thrown in for good measure. The leather armor is pretty much Max's Road Warrior get-up and one of the best handguns is Deckard's gun from Blade Runner. You can play a drinking game of "spot the reference" in those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jimbot posted:

All you did was wish for Ron Pearlman to be the narrator for the upcoming film. But yeah, Fallout is pretty much a love letter to all the post-apocalyptic films, books, ect. put out with some pop culture references thrown in for good measure. The leather armor is pretty much Max's Road Warrior get-up and one of the best handguns is Deckard's gun from Blade Runner. You can play a drinking game of "spot the reference" in those games.

The best is when you get Max's dog from The Road Warrior in Fallout 1. It's not even a reference the guy the dog is bothering just straight up says he belonged to a mysterious warrior in black leather or whatever. To get Dogmeat in your party you have to be wearing that leather armor. If you're wearing anything else the dog attacks you on site, but if you're wearing the Mad Max armor he'll become your loyal companion. :kitty:

nimh posted:

Humungus is Goose? It thought it was indicated that he was ex-military

I always took the Mad Max movies to take place pretty much when they were made rather than in the future due to the level of technology they show and the stock footage used in The Road Warrior's intro. More an alternate timeline rather than the near future. I know the war itself isn't mentioned in Mad Max but if you ever read or saw On the Beach (which definitely inspired Mad Max somewhat) it concerns a scenario where most of the world is wiped out during WWII except for Australia and parts of South America. The range of soldiers fighting for Germany in WWII would go as low as 15 at times, so Goose would actually be about the right age.

Basically I'm just saying that, due to the intentional, mythological vagueness Road Warrior and Thunderdome's settings are handled with I don't see why Lord Humongous can't both have some military background (or at least have grabbed that stuff from someone) and also be Goose. Both of those things can be possible together. They already had some ex-cops from MM1 in Humongous' gang too.

• Locked thread