Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Feinne posted:

Oh god, that's even more annoying. Lower level areas really need clear routes of travel, it's more okay for travel to be a bit unsafe in higher level areas but not when people are still supposed to be learning the game.

Well I have to say I liked Ord Mantell better than I did Tython. Dubious honors I know. Also you don't really start to appreciate sprint until you get it (as a f2p players obviously). In every successive new character run, if only to try out the classes (mostly hear the beginning stories), a small piece of yourself is dying :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

CVE posted:

Well I have to say I liked Ord Mantell better than I did Tython. Dubious honors I know. Also you don't really start to appreciate sprint until you get it (as a f2p players obviously). In every successive new character run, if only to try out the classes (mostly hear the beginning stories), a small piece of yourself is dying :suicide:

Likewise, I enjoyed Ord Mantell one hell of a lot more than Tython. It really "feels" right as a planet in a bitter civil war. Its not a patch on Korriban or Nal Hutta admittedly, but it's certainly the better of the two Republic starter planets.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Feinne posted:

Oh god, that's even more annoying. Lower level areas really need clear routes of travel, it's more okay for travel to be a bit unsafe in higher level areas but not when people are still supposed to be learning the game.

They do, but they're not marked anywhere but on the map (a solid yellow line is a 'safe road', a dotted yellow line is a semi-safe road) but wandering enemies tend to blunder into them since they move semi-randomly, and on some of the early planets some spawns are positioned so you have to fight through them to proceed (Tython! :argh: ).

TOR really gives the impression that Tython, Korriban, Ord Mantell, and Hutta were the first planets the designers worked on. They're really poorly thought out compared to some later worlds, and it really shows.

Aleator
Jun 27, 2011

I am nothing but a blade, waiting for the perfect time to end an ancient warrior's pride.

Calax posted:

The major memory I have of the place (from about 6 months ago now) is getting frustrated because my path between my quest hub and the zones I needed was A) narrow as all heck and B) had constantly spawning enemies. Well, and one area around a shield generator that was just confusing due to it's loops.

The area between the quest hubs and the "designated quest zones" are fairly wide and clear of enemies. I don't remember them being that obtuse. On the other hand, several of the questing zones have narrow canyons that branch into them that have an extremely high enemy density. I don't remember exactly where, but one of the roads to one of the villages was a bad example of this.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

PoptartsNinja posted:

They do, but they're not marked anywhere but on the map (a solid yellow line is a 'safe road', a dotted yellow line is a semi-safe road) but wandering enemies tend to blunder into them since they move semi-randomly, and on some of the early planets some spawns are positioned so you have to fight through them to proceed (Tython! :argh: ).

TOR really gives the impression that Tython, Korriban, Ord Mantell, and Hutta were the first planets the designers worked on. They're really poorly thought out compared to some later worlds, and it really shows.

I mean honestly it would make sense for there to sometimes be mobs on the road on a conceptual level of the planet because it's supposed to be a dangerous war zone, and it can work for there to not really be safe areas to travel on the ground. It's just an awful dick move for new players to be in constant combat with random poo poo to get where they need to go.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Aleator posted:

The area between the quest hubs and the "designated quest zones" are fairly wide and clear of enemies. I don't remember them being that obtuse. On the other hand, several of the questing zones have narrow canyons that branch into them that have an extremely high enemy density. I don't remember exactly where, but one of the roads to one of the villages was a bad example of this.

I remember for the first area after arriving in town, you have to troop down to another village, with mobs on the way, then the village is full of enemies (but people still live there) and THEN you troop back to be sent to almost the exact same area except to a little beach for a quest with a stupid low drop rate. Then the military base which is a road of enemies. It starts clearing out after that, but that entire part feels like a slog.

This is also at the point when every mob goes down rather fast, with later planets seemingly built around "strong" mobs being the norm, and champions being a challenge every so often.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The main roads will always have at least one or two encounters you can't avoid, unless you have stealth like some sort of smugglery person. One of the things I've done when I had time is run a charaacter from the start to the end of the planet while killing nothing and just running. Several areas are possible to bypass, excluding story killing of course, but most always have you just within aggro range of something.

Birkin
Jan 26, 2013
The way Ord Mantell was designed, with the whole "children-fighting-children" civil war feel to it, reminded me of one of those EU Star Wars books I read when I was younger. There was some planet called Anobis that had been fighting a civil war (Rebels vs. Empire)for years, and still continued to fight for decades after the Rebels won the war. The atmosphere of Ord Mantell reminded me really strongly of that book, so much so that I had to take a trip to Wookieepedia to refresh my memory of the plot.

Anyways, you guys are all doing a splendid job so far. You even made the boring Republic starter planets a little more fun to read about, with the added personality from each character's narration. Keep up the awesome work, you guys are the best!

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Started up a smuggler on the Server as well. So if anyone wants to quest or group or something you can just add Elrien to your friendslist. Playing from Europe though so timezones may be hard to set up.

Currently I'm on Coruscant.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Flashpoint - The Esseles, Part One

: Luxury transport, huh? Well, "Mr. Browncoat" could use a little R&R. Wonder if anyone’s in the lounge.

: Careful there, lady!
: Sorry! I need to get to a window seat, or else I get space sick.
: Well, you could make it up to me by letting me buy you a drink.
: Err.. is this a romantic situation? Because I was taught that romance always leads to turning Sith and going evil and getting bad skin and trying to destroy the Republic and stuff. So it’d probably be a bad idea. Also, I’m not keen on moustaches.
: ...Never mind.

: We-he-ell, another Jedi. And what should I call you, beautiful?
: Damnit, I coulda fleeced these rubes for all they were worth if you hadn’t told them I was a Jedi. Now get lost and take the small creature that curled up and died on your upper lip with you..
: Pazaak’s not really my game anyway.

: Third time’s the-
: What are you looking at?
: ...Aaand I’m out.

: Either of you want a drink?
: Warm milk, please.
: Nothing for me thanks.
: Thought jedi were supposed to be brave.
:I've been stuck on Carrick Station for a week, drinking in a spaceport cantina. If I have any more, I’ll be sick
: Excuse me. Over here?
: Eh?

: Okay ladies, I know we got off on the wrong foot, but... oh hey, who’s your cute friend?

: Excuse me? Yes, could I speak to you for a moment? I don't mean to trouble you, Jedi, but I'm curious if anyone from the ship's crew has come to speak with you yet.
: If you're so curious about the crew, I suggest you find one of them to bother.
: I didn't mean to bother you. I thought you might know something about our ships situation. I heard a rumour that there's an imperial warship following us. I know, I know--the Treaty of Coruscant. But I don't trust the empire to keep the peace.
: What does this have to do with me?
: I just thought that the ship's crew is more likely to talk to someone like you if there's trouble.

:The crew won't tell the passengers anything at all. It's not very reassuring.
: If the Empire wants a fight, we'll give them one.
: Are you insane? This is a transport, not a warship. We wouldn't stand a chance against them.

Intercom: Warning! Warning! Incoming fire! All hands brace for incoming! Repeat, all hands--

: The Empire’s attacking! Right in the middle of our dance-off!

: Can you hear me? Are you alright?
: The Imperials seem to have forgotten about the treaty...
: I knew the treaty would break eventually, but I didn't think I'd actually be here to see it. Listen-- you have to get to the bridge. The captain will need all of the help he can get right now--go, hurry!
:I'm a Jedi. I don't take orders from you.
: I'm not telling you what to do. I'm just saying what I think would be best.

: Not much to do here, we might as well go check on the bridge.
: It would be a real relief to know that you're helping the crew. Good luck.
: I suppose we’d better head to the bridge and find out whats going on. Err, where is the bridge?
: Well well, it just so happens I’ve served on a ship like this before. I can get you to the bridge, and watch your back if it comes down to a fight.
: *Skepticism*
: Don’t believe me? Bet you a kiss I’m still standing by the end of all this.
: How bout you bet something we’d actually want.
: Hutt-spit. Okay, follow me.

SWTOR Codex posted:

Treaty of Coruscant

The decades-long war between the Galactic Republic and the rejuvenated Sith Empire ended without a decisive battle. Instead, the conflict halted with a peace agreement neither side believed would last-the Treaty of Coruscant, a document forbidding Republic military activities within Imperial space and vice versa. Rules of engagement in neutral territory are far more vague, allowing for a range of border conflicts and attacks via third parties, but the treaty has prevented all-out warfare on more than one occasion.

Negotiations began when the Empire--whose early victories had led to dwindling resources and overexpansion-reached out to a battered Republic and called a summit on Alderaan. As the summit began, Imperial forces launched a surprise attack on Coruscant, the Republic capital. Conquering the city world was impossible, but the Empire wreaked enormous havoc in a short period, effectively holding Coruscant hostage and forcing less-than-favourable terms.

: And here I thought this’d be a boring flight.

: Hold up a sec, I don’t think this guy’s breathing. Can’t one of you Jedi do some sort of... Jedi... magic... thing?
: Don’t look at me, I just hit things really hard with a lightsaber
: I think raising the dead is a bit beyond my ability. I can heal cuts, bruises and minor sprains no problem though!

Recommended for stage-setting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uiG0FBw4Wc

: He's gone, sir. You're in charge now--what are our orders?
: Your orders? Our weapons are out, shields are out, comms are out! There's nothing we can do!
: Enough of what’s out, tell me what’s in.
: The path may not always be clear, but that doesn't mean there is no path.

: Why is this Jedi standing on our bridge spouting nonsense? We're in a situation here!
: I-I thought I was being inspirational...
: You’ve got an odd definition of inspiration.
: Sir, we need all the help we can get. If we don't keep it together here we're finished.
: Keep what together? The Imperials have us by the throat! We're as good as dead already.
: What's wrong with you? Are you really going to let your ship fall to the Imperials so easily?
: That ship behind us is one of the biggest in the Imperial fleet. We didn't stand a chance.
: Sir! Incoming message--the imperial ship is hailing us!
: What? Oh well, put them on.

: Republic Transport Esseles, this is Grand Moff Rycus Kilran. Your defences are entirely disabled. Attempt no resistance.
: If you think we are easy prey, Kilran, you're wrong--we'll fight you to our last breath!
: Don't listen to her! She doesn't speak for all of us!
: Your ship is transporting a known anti-imperial terrorist and seditionist: The so called "Ambassador" Vyn Asara. I've come to collect her.
: Who? we didn't take on any passengers by that name, I haven't even heard of this person!
: Interesting. Lying or incompetent? No matter. My agents aboard your ship have confirmed that the Ambassador is there.
: You have spies onboard our ship?

: Imperial Soldiers are preparing to board your ship through its primary air lock. My agents will insure you don't interfere with them. If you attempt to stop my men from arresting Ambassador Asara, I will have every living thing aboard the Esseles killed.
: Where is the primary air lock? I'll stop the Imperials as they try to board.
: Weren't you listening? If we try to fight they'll slaughter us! We have to cooperate.
: It won't matter, Kilran has us, now. He'll kill us all--he's famous for it. The only one he wants alive is the ambassador. If Kilran gets the ambassador while we're sitting in his sights, we're goners. Those soldiers have to be stopped before they succeed.
: I'm glad we're all on the same page here.
: It means a lot to have your help right now. Thank you.
: Please, this will be a cakewalk.
: I'm sure you're up to anything the imperials throw at us. I'll have our security team meet you at the primary air lock. They haven't seen much action, but Commander Narlock knows his stuff, Good luck we're counting on you.

: Yeah, he’s looking pretty dead. I don’t suppose you Jedi can-
: No!
: Well hell, what can you do?
: I can sing! I had the star role in the all-singing, all-dancing Jedi performance of Guys and Droids.
: I loved that show! It was... wait, were you being sarcastic?
: Mmmmaybe.

: Hold on... I’ve got a bad feeling about this.
: It'd be pretty weird if you had a good feeling about this, given all the explosions and death going on arou-

:No, I mean this!
: If this feels bad, you’re doing it wrong.

: This is it, men. This is what you’ve been training for. The Imperials are coming, and we’re not going to let them past, are we?
: Sir, no, sir!
: We won’t be fighting alone! We have some very experienced volunteers - the Imps will never know what hit them!
: Hope you’re ready to see a real professional at work.
: A professional what?
: if his combat skills are as good as his seduction technique, we are in serious trouble.
: A professional! We’ve got nothing to worry about, men - we can’t lose! The Imps will cut through any second now - we need to take up defensive positions.

: For the Republic!

: And another one bites the dust...
: I’m glad that’s over.
: That was nothing. I’ve seen better boarding parties on a navy shore-leave.

: Hah! Victory! We’ve done it, men, we’ve done it! The ship is saved!
: I’m sorry commander, but that... that isn’t the case.
: That Imperial said you’re the one they were sent to capture.
: Listen, that’s not important right now - we have a serious problem.

: First Officer Haken walked us right into a trap. The attack on this airlock was a ruse. After Haken sent you here, Imperial commandos snuck aboard, they were lead by a Mandalorian mercenary called “Ironfist.”

: With one fist of iron, and the other of steel... Sorry what were you saying? Mandalorian mercenary? What are you talking about?
: The Mandalorians work for the Empire - they’re some of the best warriors in the galaxy. And Ironfist is one of the most famous. Ironfist and his Imperial commandos stormed the bridge, and now the whole area is locked down tight.
: How did you learn about all this?
: I watched the whole thing happen on the security cams.
: Look, what is this all about? Why are the Imperials so desperate to capture you?
: Because of my work. I’m a Republic ambassador. I travel to Imperial-controlled planets and convince their governments to come over to our side.
: What’s next for us?
: We need to retake the bridge. The longer we leave the Imperials in control, the harder it will be to remove them.
: I already told you. Ironfist has the bridge locked down. There’s no way in or out.

: A security lockdown... that is bad. Chief engineer Salen might know of a workaround.
: Hopefully we can get to Salen before the Imperials. Do you know where he is?
: He and his team will be down in the engineering section. I’m sure they’ll be able to help us.
: We’ll need a diversion. If the Imperials notice the hatches to engineering opening, they’ll flood the area with soldiers.
: My men and I can handle that. Form up, men! We’re going to start some trouble!
: Let’s get that bridge open!
: We’ll give those Imperials something to think about, won’t we, boys?

: I’ll go along with Commander Narlock. Once you’ve cleared a path to engineering, I’ll double-back and join up with you there. Good luck.

: Can’t even see what’s going on. You two okay in there?

: Hey, cut it out! I’m on your side!
: Sorry, I thought I saw a Sith.
: Technically, you did.
: Yeah, what’s the deal with that anyway?
: Is this really the time for us to swap life stories? Get moving!

: Hey! Hey, Chief, come here! Look, there’s someone out there, on the other side of the door!
: You must be crazy, coming all the way down here with the Imps everywhere.
: The Imperials have the bridge locked down. You’re getting us in there.
: The Imps pulled the lockdown? You gotta be kidding me.

: You really cleared this place out. I didn’t run into a single Imperial on my way down here. Listen, there’s no time to waste. Commander Narlock and his men are being overrun - we have to get the bridge unlocked now.
: So I’ve heard. I’d invite you in, but the lockdown has our doors sealed, too.
: I’m not interested in your problems. I just want to get into the bridge!
: All right, all right! Calm down and let me think, would you?
: What about a reactor reset? That would disengage the security locks, wouldn’t it, sir?
: Yeah, but a reactor reset vents the engineering compartment - we’d be blown into space. Besides, the controls are on the other side of the door.
: What else could we do to open up the bridge?
: The secondary conduits. They’re spread around a bit, but if you shut them all down, the security will go down, too. Then we’ll be in business.

: I’m sorry Salen. We need to unlock the bridge while we have the chance. We have to reset the reactor. You and your men will be remembered.
: Exactly, if this is what we have to do to preserve the ship then do it. A great Jedi sage once said “the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one.” Sucks to be those few guys I guess.
: We can’t send these people to their deaths! Not when there’s an alternative!
: Glad someone’s talking sense, sweetheart. Nobody’s venting anybody.
: ...sweetheart?
: Fine, but you’re dooming everyone else on this ship. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the greater good.
: Yeah, and sometimes the greater good is leaving the engineering team alive so they can do their jobs.
: Crazy witch! Shutting down the secondary conduits will work! I promise!
: If you’re going to do it, go now. The longer you wait, the more Imperials you’ll have after you.

: When we’re knee deep in imperial soldiers, let me be the first to say, I told you so.
: Cmon, it’s better this way. More dead Imperials is always an acceptable outcome.

: Psst, hey, Jedi gal.
: Kind of in the middle of something here.
: I just wanted to say thanks for sticking up for those engineers. I don’t think your friend would stand down for anybody except another Jedi.
: There’s no need for thanks. She's not my friend though. I don't think she's anyone's friend.
: Hey, losers! Less gassing, more smashing!

: Now is it the red wire, or the blue one? It’s been quite a while since I’ve sabotaged a Republic warship!
: The red! Cut the red!
: Ignore the electronics advice from the blind woman. Cut the blue.

: There, see? Cut all the wires.

SWTOR Codex posted:

Wanderer Class Transport

Not strictly a formal ship class, but more a catch-all for a variety of similar vessels, the Wanderer-class applies to military vessels [usually corvettes] converted for partial civilian use. Rather than scrap an outdated warship, the republic prefers to strip it of most armaments and use it for cargo and passenger runs-both official and civilian. For an ordinary citizen not in the business of interstellar trade, renting space or booking passage aboard a Wanderer is often cheaper and safer than hiring an independent transport vessel.

Despite the fact that a Wanderer’s load can be up to seventy percent civilian, such ships are always crewed by military personnel. Wanderers are still military property, and piracy is a danger even along secured hyperspace routes.

: I don’t know how you managed it, but you did. The Security Doors around the bridge have opened.
: I know what I’m doing, ambassador.
: I won’t argue with that. I’ll go help Narlock with another diversion. So you have as little resistance as possible when you attack the bridge.
: You’ll still have to deal with Ironfist, though. And that’s no small challenge.

: What do you know about Ironfist?
: I only know Ironfist by reputation, but he’s been doing Grand Moff Kilran’s dirty work for a long time now. He’s never been captured, defeated or even driven back. You have your work cut out for you.
: I’ll just kill him like I kill everyone else who gets in my way.
: The Jedi Code still going strong, huh?
: Just be careful. Mandalorians always have a few tricks up their sleeves.

: All right, no more time to waste. Narlock, are you there? Can you hear me?
: Copy, this is Narlock! Set for second offensive?
: That’s right, commander. I’m on my way to join you now.
: I’ll make this scum pay for attacking us.

: I must’ve scared him to death.

Recommended for weaponized smugness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iUGJ-HXxyk

*Clap*

*Clap*

*Clap*

*Clap*

: We can’t compete with sarcasm of this magnitude!

:Well, well. I was wondering when you’d finally show up. This is it? There aren’t more of you?
: Just give up, Ironfist. I don’t want to have to hurt you or your men.
: Any more than we already have, you mean.
:Strange view of the situation. Guess you’d have to be a little crazy to put up the fight you have.

: Let’s vape this worthless scum and get back to work.

: Mandalorian reinforcements dropping in! Watch your heads!
: ...Where are they dropping in from?
: To hell with this!

: Hahaha, BAD TIME TO BE MADE OF IRON, IDIOTFIST!

: First officer Haken, do you have any spare shuttles in the hangar bay?
: Spare shuttles? Yes, we do, but I don’t-

: Then that’s our only chance. You have to board Grand Moff Kilran’s ship and disable the tractor beam so that we can all escape.
: We’ve been fighting insane odds all along. No sense stopping now.
: I’ve been aboard warships like Kilran’s. The tractor beam controls should be easy to find, if you know where you’re going.
: Ambassador, you’re familiar with the layout, perhaps you should go along to help get the tractor beam shut down.

: Hmm. We need every advantage we can get.
: It will be good to have you along, Ambassador.
: I’ll do my best to help in any way I can.
: Ambassador, before you go - take a spare uniform. We wouldn’t want any Imperials to recognize you.
: Good thinking, commander - thank you. Now let’s get moving.
: Good luck out there. We’re all counting on you.

: I've never been in combat like this before... What do you think our chances of survival are?
: I'll survive, obviously. The Sith nutter will survive. You’ll probably survive, assuming you don't have a nervous breakdown in the middle of a fight. Mutton chops over there will almost certainly die, probably as a result of his own stupidity.
: Hey!
: Free tip pal; In combat, spend less time looking at my arse, and more time looking at what you're shooting.
: And the less time you spend gabbing, the faster this will go, now let’s move.
: Hey! hold up a minute. I need to talk to you before you go.

: She was just doing what she thought she had to do to save the ship.
: And she would’ve killed a lot of good people if you hadn’t stopped her. Thank you. Listen. I’ve been thinking. I really believe this plan is going to work. But there’s only one way to guarantee that we all make it home safe. And that’s to make sure the Imperials have no reason to keep chasing us.
: Get to the point.
: I want you to leave Asara on the Grand Moff’s ship. With the tractor beam down, we’ll be able to escape. But Kilran will just chase us down again - unless he’s already captured his target. As long as Asara is on this ship, everyone aboard is in danger. I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of risking all our lives for that woman.
: I didn’t sacrifice the engineers to get us out of this. I won’t sacrifice Asara, either.

: Just think about it. I’d even make it worth your while if things go the way I’m suggesting.
: Anyway, you’d better get going - I’ve held you up too long already. Good luck.
: Just putting it out there, what has Asara actually done to aid us so far?
: She was willing to do what had to be done, that should count for something! Besides, I wouldn’t give a mynock to an Imperial Grand Moff, never mind an ambassador.

Will our heroes overcome the vile Grand Moff Kilran? Will Asara be left to a fate worse than death? The answers to these mysteries and more, in Flashpoint - The Esseles, Part Two!

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]
You know what I love most about this flashpoint?

The NPC soldier who keeps cheering in the background while you're discussing how the airlock attack was a diversion and that the bridge has been captured and security lockdown is in force across the ship. He's all like "YAY!! The bridge has been captured and the Imperials are going to kill us all!"

Mind you, he does stop cheering when 'the Ambassador' and Commander Narlock suggest creating a diversion to allow the PCs to get to Engineering. Suddenly then it's like he realises "oh poo poo.. we're all gunna die..."

[Edit:] And despite all my best efforts I cannot find one video walkthrough where the guy is doing it... I swear though, on every run I've ever done one of the NPC soldiers in the airlock section keeps cheering well after the converstaion starts with Narlock and the 'Ambassador'...

OzCavalier fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 15, 2013

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

I think it's just a bug but it happened on that run we did together. The soldiers got duplicated for some reason and their cheering models were left behind throughout the cutscene. Good job so far guys. I was going to suggest closing the chat window (You can hit the arrows in the top left to hide/unhide them) but it seems to have been done for the later parts of the run.

I have to say that I love Kilran as a villain. He is just so good at making you want to hate him.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Catsworth posted:

I have to say that I love Kilran as a villain. He is just so good at making you want to hate him.

Being voiced by Simon Templeman never hurts. It raises the quality of the character with every word.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]
Agree completely that Kilran is one of the best villains in the game. I've run Esseles with numerous people on 4 different servers, and I've never had a single person say that they thought Kilran was bland and boring (especially compared to later Flashpoint/Operation "bosses".

It's even more amazing that he's considered one of the 'best' villains, and yet you never get to actually fight him.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

OzCavalier posted:

Agree completely that Kilran is one of the best villains in the game. I've run Esseles with numerous people on 4 different servers, and I've never had a single person say that they thought Kilran was bland and boring (especially compared to later Flashpoint/Operation "bosses".

It's even more amazing that he's considered one of the 'best' villains, and yet you never get to actually fight him.

Apologies if this is ruining an attempt at fooling unspoiled people who can't avoid black bars, but that's not QUITE true.

Nice thing about Kilran is if you pick banter-style options he responds in kind (though I think most of them will show up in part 2). It's no wonder Ironfist has weaponized smugness, I doubt Kilran would work with anybody who couldn't keep up with him.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

So:

If the bad guys message you, urging surrender and warning their boarding party is about to land, who have you been fighting on the way to the bridge?

Engineering section. Just... the whole thing.

This one is a bit petty, but a strike from a rifle butt isn't the equivalent of a harsh slap. It's generally going to dislocate your jaw at best. More likely, it's going to knock you out/do some brain damage/kill you.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

OzCavalier posted:

You do, he's one tough SOB too.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Xander77 posted:

So:

If the bad guys message you, urging surrender and warning their boarding party is about to land, who have you been fighting on the way to the bridge?

They're the spies he mentioned - the agents who confirmed the ambassador's presence. Imperial infiltrators, sabotaged droids, and the occasional boarding pod provide the enemies you meet outside of the boarding action on the Esseles itself until Ironfist's infiltration.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Xander77 posted:

This one is a bit petty, but a strike from a rifle butt isn't the equivalent of a harsh slap. It's generally going to dislocate your jaw at best. More likely, it's going to knock you out/do some brain damage/kill you.

Nah man. It's all ultralight materials and padded stocks. It's like being hit with a muppet.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

That flashpoint update was great and I'm really looking forward to the next one!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Nah man. It's all ultralight materials and padded stocks. It's like being hit with a muppet.

Given that one of my abilities is literally hit man with gun, and that it's one of my most damaging ones somehow, all I can say is that guy who got hit must have been roughly 5 or so levels ahead of the soldier.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Brainamp posted:

Given that one of my abilities is literally hit man with gun, and that it's one of my most damaging ones somehow, all I can say is that guy who got hit must have been roughly 5 or so levels ahead of the soldier.

This reminds me of a funny thing from WoW. So the tank spec for monks is brewmaster, and one of their most damaging attack is to smash a keg on some poor motherfucker, after which they can do that blowing fire with alcohol trick to light them on goddamn fire.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
That was a pretty good flashpoint update, you did a good job keeping the character's voices intact and showing off important bits of the area itself.

Fun fact: /ironfist is an emote, and it is that exact clapping, complete with flourish at the end (yet sadly without sound effects). The chat text that accompanies it is "X is so very impressed (with Y)", parenthetical for if you have a target when you use it.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Brainamp posted:

Hilarious part? The other class you could have taken is based more around getting in melee... so smacking somebody with your gun, and your fist, and your boot, is more damaging.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.

Moon Slayer posted:

That flashpoint update was great and I'm really looking forward to the next one!
Seconding this. The group dynamics are great (just like in the other LP). Quinine as the ladies' man with poor judgement just fits perfectly with all the girls :allears:

Just one question to Brainamp:
Could you clarify how you're using italics in your updates? It's clear that outside of dialogue it's Todessa's internal monologue; when you use it in dialogue, it seems to be mostly things you add to it (like the others do it). But sometimes there are entire lines of italics text which are followed by normal text and it's pretty clear that the latter is a reply to the former. Here's an example from update 5:

Brainamp posted:

: The separatists are patriots, struggling against incredible hardship.
: Keep up with that talk and I might rethink my plan to bring you back alive.
: What? I - I don't even have a weapon. I'm just a journalist.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

MuLepton posted:

Just wording it differently. The jist is the same, but when the original dialogue is groan worthy or annoying I try to keep it more in line with the speech pattern thus far.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

MuLepton posted:

Seconding this. The group dynamics are great (just like in the other LP). Quinine as the ladies' man with poor judgement just fits perfectly with all the girls :allears:

Could you clarify how you're using italics in your updates? It's clear that outside of dialogue it's Todessa's internal monologue; when you use it in dialogue, it seems to be mostly things you add to it (like the others do it). But sometimes there are entire lines of italics text which are followed by normal text and it's pretty clear that the latter is a reply to the former. Here's an example from update 5:

Speaking solely for myself here, Italics in character I.E. next to a portrait is meant to be dialogue added by me (as opposed to the dialogue in the game). Italics without a portrait is the monologue/connecting bits and pieces. Bold is for actions and/or time changes. While normal text is all bioware.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
Great flashpoint. As others have said, the group dynamic really works with Quinine constantly getting shot down. Every character is the best character.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Flashpoint - The Esseles, Part Two

: Unless anyone else has experience doing fly-bys on Imperial cruisers, I call pilot.
: Shotgun!
: Shotg... dammit!
: Be glad we’re in the back, less likely to die if the ship gets shot.

Following an exceptional display of piloting skill, our heroes arrive on the Imperial Dreadnought.

: We’ll split into two teams. Team A- that’s you guys- will infiltrate the Engine Deck, fight through several hundred of the Empire’s finest soldiers and battledroids, disable the security systems, fight more soldiers, shut down the reactor, defeat whatever secret weapon Kilran is bound to throw at you, and then fight a bunch more soldiers on your way back here. Team B- that’s us and the Ambassador- will lock the doors and hide in this room for the next 30 minutes.
: ...That’s not a very fair division of responsibilities.
: Hey, someone has to look after the shuttle. The Empire might scratch the paint or fiddle with the radio presets if we just leave it alone. Now get going, and may the Force be with you, Team A!

”SWTOR Codex” posted:

Harrower-class Dreadnought

The epitome of Imperial destructive power, the Harrower-class dreadnought is the largest and best-armed ship currently in production by the Imperial military. Its wedge-shaped design is typical of Imperial warships going back to the founding of Dromund Kaas, but its technology is strictly state-of-the-art. The Harrower is capable of holding its own against starfighter fleets or multiple smaller warships but is best used as the backbone of an Imperial fleet–coordinating attacks, absorbing damage and launching devastating volleys where needed. The energy and material cost of building a single Harrower is roughly equivalent to ten years’ output of a major planetary mining colony. The loss of a Harrower is enough to pain logistics operators across the Empire.

: So, what is the plan? We could try deactivating the security probes and sneaking through the maintenance shafts, or-

: For the Republic!
: Bang goes the subtle approach.

: ”...phemy. ATTENTION: Vyn Asara has been charged with grievous crimes against the Empire, including (but not limited to): High Treason, Incitement, Terrorist Acts (General), Arson, Sedition, Petty Treason, Sabotage of Military Assets, Terrorist Acts (Special), Anti-Imperial Propaganda, Provocation, Extreme Provocation, Terrorist Acts (Misc.), Public Indecency, Capital Murder, and Blasphemy. ATTENTION: Vyn Asara has been....”
: My kind of girl.

: Take it down a notch! We need that security console, and setting it on fire won’t help!

: All the doors are unlocked now, we should get... wait... I’m sensing incoming smugness.

: Well, I’ve seen some incredible things in my time, but you’ve just topped the list. I’m sorry I couldn’t greet you in person - if only you had let me know you were stopping by.
: This guy has impeccable manners, especially considering we've just killed, like, half his crew.
: If this is a bad time, we could come back later.
: Oh, no. Not at all. I assure you, I’m quite prepared for your visit. My men will be along shortly to escort you to the accommodations I’ve arranged.
: I guess this is where the fun begins.

: Ironfist wasn’t the only weapon in my arsenal - nor the deadliest. See you soon.
: What a sleaze.
: I don’t know, the Republic could use a Commander like him. I wouldn’t mind having his voice over my transponder.
: His voice does have an unexpected, soothing charm.
: He’s the butcher of my heart.
: I’ll never understand women.

”SWTOR Codex” posted:

Grand Moff Kilran

Cultured, cunning and utterly ruthless, Rycus Kilran may be the greatest naval strategist the Empire has ever seen. Born to a wealthy family with a proud military tradition, Kilran proved himself (to no one’s surprise) a capable right-hand man to the Sith during the Empire’s early assaults on the Brema Sector. When his Sith superior died during the Battle of Ord Ibanna, however, Kilran showed that he was more than an able tactical advisor–he assumed command of the ragged Imperial fleet and led it to a swift and decisive victory. In the years that followed, Kilran’s authority grew with his list of triumphs, and both the Sith and the Minister of War learned respect for his unorthodox strategies. His brutally effective strikes during the final days of the war earned him the nickname “the Butcher of Coruscant” among Republic civilians (a name he adopted with characteristic irony), and his heroic stand against a Jedi boarding party earned him his scars. After the war ended, he was granted the honorary title “Grand Moff” in recognition of his contributions.

(We have met Kilran before in the Empire thread. His smugly patronising attitude is pretty much the same whether you’re working for him or against him)

: There’s the reactor. I mean, I’m just guessing, but it looks pretty reactor-y.
: And that is a big security droid guarding it.
: The bigger they are...
: Not big enough - it’s got a hardened shield generator, and no room for a battery big enough to power it. There’s gotta be an external generator.

: All we have to do is cut the droid’s power lines, and that’ll make our job a whole lot easier.
: Less talking, more sabotaging.

: For the Re- Oof!

: I don’t like how this guy’s looking at me...

: Chalk up one droid for the Kill Board!
: Wait a minute... where's the sith?

: Aggggggghhhhhhh. Why isthis shaft so deep!?
: So... are we going to drop a rope or something?
: Nah, she seems pretty tough. I’m sure she’ll be okay.

(Todessa really did end up at the bottom of the shaft, due to a glitch that caused her to fall through the ramp to the reactor. We still defeated the boss easily with three people though, because it is very easy we're professionals.)

: I’m fine by the way. Only fell a couple hundred feet.
: They should really put guard rails around these shafts. Maybe you can suggest it to Kilran the next time he phones.

: There. The backups will be enough to keep primary systems up, but not the tractor beam. We’ll be long gone before they get it working again.
: Of course this means Haken could leave all of us behind now, instead of just the ambassador. Better start running.

: Ha! You call that a knife!?
: We probably could’ve gone around this one, you know.
: Aww, where’s the fun in that?

: Yeah, real great job. Now help me back up, please?
: Aren’t you embarrassed you got your arse kicked by a battery on legs?
: Aren’t you embarrassed that a “great and powerful” Jedi Knight needed three people’s help bringing down a battery on legs? He wasn’t exactly a Sith Lord.
: ...You know, before I just didn’t like your moustache, but now I’m really starting to dislike the rest of you as well.
: Guys, guys! Less fighting, more... well, fighting, but against the Empire instead of each other.

: It’s a dead end. We’re trapped!
: Am I gonna have to be the rear end in a top hat that says we should jump down this garbage chute?
: You first. *shove*

: AAAAAaaaahhhhh!

: Uggh...Couldn’t we have taken the stairs?

: So, who wants to bet Asara’s taken the shuttle and fled back to the Esseles?
: She wouldn’t do that.
: Why do you think that? She was willing to sacrifice the engineers, why wouldn’t she sacrifice us?
: She’s way too pretty to be that evil.
: That’s a pretty shallow attitude.
: Accurate though. The Dark Side plays havoc with your complexion.

: C’mon, move! We’re almost back to the docking bay!
: Let me crack this security field and we’ll be - oh hell, what’s going on in there?

Recommended for climactic Sith-fighting action and our daring escape!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knHlTUkHnJ4

To be clear, Quinine is playing so badly because he’s focusing on screenshots and filming. Also Dolash sucks at SWTOR.

: Get this door open!
: I’m trying! The security codes have changed, it won’t respond-

:: How about now?

: Put down that Ambassador and step away from the shuttle, you... um... evil... Sith... man!...I think.

: At last--a real live, Jedi. How I’ve looked forward to this. A true Sith cannot go long without a true challenge.
: He’s not wrong there, though I only see one sith in this room.
: None of you will leave here alive! To destroy a dangerous foe... that is the way of a true Sith. When I carve your heart from your chest, your fellow Jedi will sense your defeat. As will my master.
: You don’t have to continue down the dark path. You can still embrace peace.
: Really? You’re trying that now? What do you think he’s going to say? “Actually, Evil isn’t working out for me, what’s the Jedi pension plan like?”
: He might! There may be a gentle soul buried beneath his terrifying exterior.
: I am going to kill you and bathe in your blood.
: ...maybe not.
: Peace is a lie. There is only passion. And through passion, I gain strength. The power of the dark side is infinite... are you ready to face oblivion?
: Killing you will give me great satisfaction.
: The pleasure will be all mine!

: My first real Sith! This is going to be so aweso-hey!

: Get back here and fight me!

: Finally! Show me what you’ve got, ugly.

: That was my kill!
: Tell you what, princess. Next idiot with a lightsaber we see, I’ll let you kill him.

: Come on! Get into the shuttles, we have to hurry! If we launch fast enough I think we can make it. Are you ready?
: Right behind you, ambassador.

: Let’s just hope Haken has the hyperdrive ready. Come on!

: So, we’re taking her with us...
: Maybe I’m a dreamer, but I’d like to get through this thing without anybody throwing anybody else under the bus for no reason. And since I’m the only one who can fly the shuttle back...
: There’s a good chance Kilran will blast the Esseles out of the sky if he thinks he can’t capture the Ambassador. You may have just killed everyone on that ship.
: Five credits say I haven’t.

: Put that thing away, will you? We’re blasting out of here!
: Not until I get to kill somebody!
: You’ll get us killed if you don’t stow it, now let’s get going.

Back on the Esseles...

: Everyone’s aboard. Plex! Get us out of here, now!

: Hey, we’re alive!
: Ha! You owe me five credits, Lieutenant.
: You did it! You did what no one else could have done. You’ve saved us all!
: We owe you our lives... every one of us. So, on behalf of the passengers and crew of the Republic transport Esseles, thank you.
: Just doing my duty.
: There’s no need for modesty. What you accomplished here is truly amazing. I took up a collection from everyone on the ship - hopefully, these credits will help you save other people in need, the same way you saved us.
: Please - keep your credits. I’m sure you all need them more than us.
: Don't listen to her! She doesn't speak for all of us!
: Heroism is its own reward!
: That’s extremely gracious of you. Thank you very much.

: Ambassador Asara, it’s... it’s a relief to see that you made it back to us safely as well.
: ...Awkward.
: It’s a relief to be back, Haken. I’m just glad that this is all finally over. We’re finally safe. I want to thank you again for everything you’ve done. Heroes like you are hard to come by- and the Republic needs every one they can get.
: Don’t try to pull me into any more of your problems, Asara. I’ve got more urgent things to deal with. Vague and incredibly unspecific threats to the Jedi Order won’t resolve themselves
: I wouldn’t dream of it. I should warn you, though. Grand Moff Kilran is never going to forget what we’ve done. He’ll stop at nothing to get his revenge.

: If Kilran thinks he can take us, he’s in for a surprise.
: I’m sorry, fly boy, us?
: Just be sure to stay alert from now on. Kilran is full of surprises. Anyway, enough of that. I’d say it’s about time we all relaxed a bit and enjoyed the rest of our trip. Thanks again - and good luck in the future.

: Well, we made it, and I’m still standing. I think that means I’m owed one kiss?
: Kiss my lightsaber.
: Maybe some other time.
: No.
: Hah! Worth a shot. Y’know, you girls are alright.

After our heroes’ well-deserved rest and otherwise-peaceful journey, they finally disembark on Coruscant and look out from the hanger onto the splendid capital of the Republic.

: Now that’s one hell of a view.
: A sight for sore eyes after a trip like that.
: I have a feeling that this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

: Nah.

And of course, for tradition’s sake

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Some random quotes collected from our esseles run.

Esseles Run posted:

R'andayn: My armour has belts on the arms for no apparent reason *beat*

R'andayn & Todessa?/Quinine?: NOMURA!

R'andyayn: Is using the force to nudge dice in games of chance cheating?

Quinine: big moment coming
Todessa: Ugh
Quinine: :D
Todessa: makes poo poo complicated
R'andayn: the greater good.
Jolune: Lets be nice
Quinine: Unless you lose the roll

Quinine: Where did all the bad guys go?
R'andayn: Everyones dead dave
err Quinine
Quinine: What not Rimmer?
Jolune: Arnold Judas Quinine

Quinine: Crews getting smaller by the day
Quinine: DUN DUN DUN
Quinine: PLOT TWIST

Todessa: Why do the imperials never invest in railings?

Quinine: here we go
Todessa: get some sun man.
R'andayn: NO! ensign redshirt he was my favourite!
Todessa: William shatner school of darthing
R'andayn: there are other schools?
Todessa: Wait me? I am sith, man
R'andayn: AMEN!
Jolune: You are the worst jedi
R'andayn: err I mean.

R'andyayn: Dammit bioware! would it kill you to give me something to pull aggro with.

Jolune: Hey, we are slightly nicer than the empire
Quinine: Hmm, maybe
Todessa: Speak for youself, running away like real heroes

Todessa: Our credits :(
Jolune: No money for anyone :D

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The worst part about falling off the platform was that /stuck wouldn't work. The floor at the bottom counted as solid, so I was just revived there and not back up top. Had to run through the whole ship again. :negative:

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Brainamp posted:

The worst part about falling off the platform was that /stuck wouldn't work. The floor at the bottom counted as solid, so I was just revived there and not back up top. Had to run through the whole ship again. :negative:

That bug still isn't fixed? Me and my brother ran into that big during the first week of beta testing. Reported that drat thing about three times.

How is it still not fixed, a year later? I don't even get it.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The other major way essles ends (in general with public groups) is that you can tell the ambassador that you were asked to leave her behind and she promptly flips out on the guy who did it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ReturnOfFable posted:

That bug still isn't fixed? Me and my brother ran into that big during the first week of beta testing. Reported that drat thing about three times.

How is it still not fixed, a year later? I don't even get it.

Well it occurred when the big robot hit me and quite literally punched me through the floor. Odd thing to have happen, but it made for a really interesting visual. Or would have had I remembered to screenshot it. :v:

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Brainamp posted:

Well it occurred when the big robot hit me and quite literally punched me through the floor. Odd thing to have happen, but it made for a really interesting visual. Or would have had I remembered to screenshot it. :v:

We've had that happen a few times. The first time it happened I was running up the ramp towards him and just fell through the floor. Didn't even aggro the boss or anything, I just ran through the floor and fell to my death.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

I did Esseles on my republic character recently and hadn't realized they'd changed that optional droid boss. When he had the big field around him and my life started ticking away in large chunks I realized I should probably get inside.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Dolash posted:

(Todessa really did end up at the bottom of the shaft, due to a glitch that caused her to fall through the ramp to the reactor. We still defeated the boss easily with three people though, because it is very easy we're professionals.)

Uh, not to mention the Esseles/Black Talon instances are technically 2-man flashpoints (the only ones, to my knowledge), so even with 3 you have more people than required.

quote:

: At last--a real live, Jedi. How I’ve looked forward to this. A true Sith cannot go long without a true challenge.
: He’s not wrong there, though I only see one sith in this room.
: None of you will leave here alive! To destroy a dangerous foe... that is the way of a true Sith. When I carve your heart from your chest, your fellow Jedi will sense your defeat. As will my master.

Amusingly enough if a non-Jedi (at least with a smuggler anyway) is in a group with a Jedi and wins the conversation check, I seem to recall there being an option that effectively says "Well, I see you guys are busy, so I'll just get out of your way..." (though of course the Sith doesn't buy it).

Glorious.

Calax posted:

The other major way essles ends (in general with public groups) is that you can tell the ambassador that you were asked to leave her behind and she promptly flips out on the guy who did it.

Yeah, it's kind of weighted Light Side unfortunately. Your first response as shown here just ignores the issue if you pick LS. If you pick the non-LS choice you walk through mentioning the guy's plan to her, then you have either a LS choice to take her back (more or less same as shown except she chews the guy out) or DS choice to betray her. Because you have to win multiple conversation choices in order to get the Dark Side option, and most people on Republic go Light Side, in practice I have never seen the DS ending of this flashpoint even with a DS character. Can you come back to flashpoints at a higher level? Been tempted to solo this with my smuggler to do the DS choice and get the Backstabber title, which goes rather well with a scoundrel sneaking up and shooting people in the back with a shotgun. Can always repeat the thing with LS to make up the points lost.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

MadDogMike posted:

Can you come back to flashpoints at a higher level?

Yeah, and the first one's usually pretty easy to solo if you're a few (about 6 or so, maybe 8-10 if you're squishy) levels above the flashpoint.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, and the first one's usually pretty easy to solo if you're a few (about 6 or so, maybe 8-10 if you're squishy) levels above the flashpoint.

I think Essles and Black Talon are used to earn "social points" and influence with your partners at later levels due to farming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It's also a fairly fun one, provided you are running with a fun-haver group.

• Locked thread