Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

CapnAndy posted:

It's just his normal costume, but in white and black. That's a very badly drawn angle.

His helmet's gone from "see two thirds of his face" to "Boba Fett-style T-slit". I can't decide whether I like it or not, but I lean towards yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sly Deaths Head
Nov 5, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

Really? There hasn't been the SLIGHTEST increase in interest and sales due to all the movies lately?

From what I've heard from a local comic store owner, the only time comic movies ever lead to significantly higher sales is if it's a stand alone story like Watchmen or V for Vendetta.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I love how this makes M.O.D.O.K. look threatening and silly at the same time.

I'm fairly certain this is from Villain Team-Up: M.O.D.O.K.'s 11

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Has MODOK ever been legitimately scary/threatening? I feel like someone could have pulled that off at some point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hakkesshu posted:

Has MODOK ever been legitimately scary/threatening? I feel like someone could have pulled that off at some point.

His first appearances, several parts of MODOK's 11, the new MODOK in Jeff Parker's Hulk, his part in Greg Pak's Hulk stories, etc. I'm having more trouble thinking of times where he wasn't threatening.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's a giant head with baby arms. :3:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

His first appearances, several parts of MODOK's 11, the new MODOK in Jeff Parker's Hulk, his part in Greg Pak's Hulk stories, etc. I'm having more trouble thinking of times where he wasn't threatening.

He was used as a comic relief villain in the late 90s and most of the 2000s. Though even then they still made him fairly threatening. But If you want to see MODOK in full silly, look for M.O.D.O.K.: Reign Delay.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sly Deaths Head posted:

From what I've heard from a local comic store owner, the only time comic movies ever lead to significantly higher sales is if it's a stand alone story like Watchmen or V for Vendetta.

Generally, there's a bumpin collection sales around a movie, but that's about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

It's just his normal costume, but in white and black. That's a very badly drawn angle.

His normal costume isn't sleeveless!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mister Roboto posted:

I really can't begrudge them for this. Comic books NEED all the audiences they can get, and if they need to draw in new readers from Avengers, then whatever way they write Sam Jackson into 616 Fury is fine by me.

And to be honest Nick having a son, or 10 sons, seems perfectly reasonable to me. Guy's been sleeping with more women around the world than Quagmire.

I don't begrudge them that either. I just laugh at the fact that the in-universe justification. By which I mean the total lack of one. Just "Shut up with the referential humor Hawkeye, NICK FURY™ here has a mission for you."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SynthOrange posted:

He's a giant head with baby arms. :3:

So is Newt Gingrich and that guy scares the piss out of me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm kinda surprised they didn't go with "Nick Fury had to be anonymous and disguised himself. Genetically."

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

MikeJF posted:

I'm kinda surprised they didn't go with "Nick Fury had to be anonymous and disguised himself. Genetically."

They learned their lesson about trying that in a mainstream comic a long time ago:

Punisher: The Final Days.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Mister Roboto posted:

They learned their lesson about trying that in a mainstream comic a long time ago:

Punisher: The Final Days.

Comics taught me that black people have fingernails that match their skin tone and blue eyes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The fingernails are the colorist not paying attention but the blue eyes are because that's actually the Punisher. I think I remember a few people commenting on the eyes during his team up with Luke Cage.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The fingernails are the colorist not paying attention but the blue eyes are because that's actually the Punisher. I think I remember a few people commenting on the eyes during his team up with Luke Cage.

I knew that was the Punisher, I just didn't know the method that was used to turn him black (magic, surgery, etc).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh, plastic surgery and a ton of dye.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
Thor adopts a civilian identity to stay incognito in New York, and gets mad when the Avengers visit him. West Coast Avengers Annual #1

I just really like the facts that 1) Incognito he still uses Thor speak, 2) That this is somehow a worse civilian costume than Clark Kent's glasses, and 3) that Thor intentionally went full yuppie, sweater over the shoulders and all.

MelvinTheJerk fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 16, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Thor adopts a civilian identity to stay incognito in New York, and gets mad when the Avengers visit him. West Coast Avengers Annual #1

I just really like the facts that 1) Incognito he still uses Thor speak, 2) That this is somehow a worse civilian costume than Clark Kent's glasses, and 3) that Thor intentionally went full yuppie, sweater over the shoulders and all.

Is this during the time he worked as labor in a construction site and he did something and the foreman thought he was SPIDER-MAN?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Was it intentionally yuppie, or was that the closest thing he could justify to wearing a cape?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The initial establishment of that identity, in Thor #341:

The disguise does the trick, in Thor #344:

Of course, someone like Thor can't stay inconspicuous forever, as the joke continues in Thor #349:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Sigurd Jarlson, that's a name no one will look twice at.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I''m guessing Hercules secret identity during Civil War was a direct riff on this?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Does Nick Fury still smoke?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sizone posted:

Does Nick Fury still smoke?

In the Marvel Universe no one smokes, due to a Joe Q degree. I really do not blame him since its what killed his dad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

In the Marvel Universe no one smokes, due to a Joe Q degree. I really do not blame him since its what killed his dad.

Everyone should start chewing lizard squeezing sticks instead.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

bobkatt013 posted:

It was something that looked great until the 90's were over. Now it's really un-needed in my opinion. Kids don't need to think cigar-smoking Wolverine is the height of cool anymore.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I respect the reason behind the policy but still think its dumb and way too personal for a editorial edict.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chinaman7000 posted:

I respect the reason behind the policy but still think its dumb and way too personal for a editorial edict.

No nazis, my grandpa died in WW2.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

"WHAT DOES THE SCOUTER SAY ABOUT HIS POWER LEVEL?!!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Metal Loaf posted:

"WHAT DOES THE SCOUTER SAY ABOUT HIS POWER LEVEL?!!"

9000 jokes are so over.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Chinaman7000 posted:

Tobacco have been known to target kids using cartoons and other tricks, so if he does not want them to be any way advertised in his books I gotta respect that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

9000 jokes are so over.

I know. I should have thought twice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Unless its a period piece pretty much nobody smokes on TV shows or Movies anymore either. Its just something that's happened.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Captain Marvel (Vol 3) #4

I'm just waiting for this scene to come back to haunt Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

Unless its a period piece pretty much nobody smokes on TV shows or Movies anymore either. Its just something that's happened.

I can understand it in comics if they don't want kids to smoke or whatever, but it makes picking out new avatars very difficult. Skrull Nick's been chewing that cigar for five years!

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

Sam And Twitch issue #4, I just find it absolutely hilarious that Twitch uses dogpile of all websites. This entire comic is just as 90's as Spawn.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SilverSupernova posted:

Captain Marvel (Vol 3) #4

I'm just waiting for this scene to come back to haunt Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Yeah, I want to see Bautista do this in the movie.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yeah, I want to see Bautista do this in the movie.

I fly for miles inside this fit of hunger!
A place where no one has thin mints, I FLY ALOOOOONE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
The adventures of Flash and Felicia's wardrobe continue! (via Amazing Spider-Man 341):

• Locked thread